PDA

View Full Version : raiders, russell agree to deal

locseti
08-03-2007, 01:39 PM
This is BS, I guess the Russell camp was waiting til CJ was signed before they made a deal. Now that CJ got 27 million in guranteed money, I guess Russell will garner 30. Even though he is less of a sure thing than CJ. He needs to get off his ass in Alabama and be in CA though, because now that CJ is signed, there are no more excuses. He has 3 agents working on the deal and one of them better take control and get this deal done.

SubNoize
08-03-2007, 08:49 PM
take it easy, he'll be signed in due time and get into camp. I doubt with Daunte now on the roster that Russell will see playing time this year so he'll have at least 17 weeks to get acclimated to the offense and be ready for next year. Also the hang up has not been money, rather how his guaranteed cash would be paid out, much like Beason. His team of agents have also never negotiated something like this, so they'll be looking to get Russell the best deal possible to get further high profile rookies to sign with them down the road.

RaiderNation
08-03-2007, 11:48 PM
i say pay the man what he wants and get him into camp. hes not gonna take any less so might as well get him into camp

JustJoe2k5
08-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Just heard this discussed on the radio, the hold-up is the exact same clause that the Panthers put in Jon Beason's contract.

Addict
08-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Just heard this discussed on the radio, the hold-up is the exact same clause that the Panthers put in Jon Beason's contract.

it's a good clause. He shouldn't complain, sign the damn paper and keep his act together.

nobodyinparticular
08-26-2007, 04:11 PM
it's a good clause. He shouldn't complain, sign the damn paper and keep his act together.

What clause is being talked about?

Addict
08-26-2007, 04:18 PM
What clause is being talked about?

basically it says if you don't behave you're screwed.

nobodyinparticular
08-27-2007, 04:37 PM
basically it says if you don't behave you're screwed.

Ok, I just wanted to be sure. It is just that there is so little being said about this situation and what little is being mentioned is all contradictory. It makes it hard to know what page anyone is on.

Komp
08-27-2007, 10:06 PM
I heard a rumor that the Jamarcus was back in Oakland and talking to management face to face on his contract. Any truth to this...

HEISMANHERSCHEL
08-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Im not a raider guy, but I would be if they told him they didnt need him and throw him back into the draft pool for next year.

Honestly at this point, I would cut bait with him. Save the money. I think he will be a bust. Even if I am wrong, how far back has he set himself.

Good luck,guys.

Komp
08-28-2007, 06:19 PM
Quick question....do the Raiders get anything if they toss his ass to the curb....

BuckNaked
08-28-2007, 06:41 PM
Quick question....do the Raiders get anything if they toss his ass to the curb....

A sympathetic sigh

neko4
08-28-2007, 06:44 PM
woah he still isnt signed?????

Windy
08-28-2007, 09:14 PM
there are a lot of rumors heating up that he will be signed soon and walter will be traded/released. i honestly don't care when he signs because it's not like he'll play a down this year anyway,which is a good thing. theres a lot of negative pub about him, people on this site have even said they don't like him because of the way he talks lmao.

neko4
08-28-2007, 09:17 PM
I dont like him (well he's a good guy, but i dont think he's that good) because how many times do you throw the ball 60 yards downfield. So its great that he can throw far, but most deep passes hardly require 30 yards. So really accuracy means more in the nfl than throw power. But if Russell does sit a year it will do wonders for him like it has Palmer, Campbell and others

Komp
08-28-2007, 10:46 PM
I'm still not off the JR bandwagon and I think he was the right pick in the draft for us. Signing Daunte allows us to sit JR for the entire season will also possibly allowing us to win a few games.

PS - I've heard that boths sides are a mere $2 million in guaranteed money apart.

Kurve
09-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Wonder whats the deal with JR why isnt this getting done ...... everyone else got there deals done even players who didnt seem like were gonna get there deal done like LJ and Samuel ....... hmm Raiders better get him in there soon

portermvp84
09-04-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm tired of this crap JR!!!! Just sign already.

trkaline
09-04-2007, 02:35 PM
He will sign their just all in some stupid yadayada contract chess match...just watch out if injury prone Culpepper does get injured could be bad...or you can get a magical pro ready Ben Roethlisberger type...I hear they come every couple classes...but that is what i woulda said last season before he started to look like some kind of delayed bust....

SuperKevin
09-04-2007, 11:20 PM
Stupid question by me but, Has he signed yet? The Raiders front office has to be kicking themselves for not being able to work out a deal yet

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-04-2007, 11:37 PM
no and as Al Davis said its ridiculous.Russell's agents originally asked for 30-32 in gurantees.We offer them 31.Then they say they want 35 and some stupid option bonus on top of that which makes no sense at all.hes only losing money now.

SuperKevin
09-04-2007, 11:42 PM
no and as Al Davis said its ridiculous.Russell's agents originally asked for 30-32 in gurantees.We offer them 31.Then they say they want 35 and some stupid option bonus on top of that which makes no sense at all.hes only losing money now.

I hate to say it but do you think maybe they are trying to get more guarenteed money is because even his agents know he's going to be a bust?

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-04-2007, 11:47 PM
Possibly I think part of the option bonus was there because they wanted it for an eventual cut.I dont know the only thing Ive really heard about it was a week or two ago saying they met face to face in LA.But since then nothing has become of it.
EDIT: Found it.
Sources tell the Sacramento Bee that JaMarcus Russell is unlikely to sign his rookie deal before Week 1.

The Raiders claim they've met Russell's monetary demands. The rookie's camp says Oakland should give Russell more money up front to guard against injuries or an eventual release. The sides met face-to-face early in the week, but it doesn't appear to have facilitated much progress.

rotoworld.com

Windy
09-05-2007, 04:49 PM
According to ESPN, Russell's Uncle says the deal is almost done.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3006376

I rarely believe any info ESPN has about the Raiders but hopefully this is true.

SuperKevin
09-06-2007, 12:42 AM
If he were to sign this weekend do you think there'd still be any chance of him playing this year? I think the Raiders need to keep him on the bench to prove a point that no one player is too important to miss all of preseason with a contract holdout

Turtlepower
09-06-2007, 12:45 AM
If he were to sign this weekend do you think there'd still be any chance of him playing this year? I think the Raiders need to keep him on the bench to prove a point that no one player is too important to miss all of preseason with a contract holdout

Knowing Al Davis... Anything is possible. If he signs before Sunday and the Raiders are 2-12 entering their last two games, he will be the starter. Anything more than 4 wins guarantees he will never start, but 4 or less might allow him to.

SuperKevin
09-06-2007, 12:47 AM
Knowing Al Davis... Anything is possible. If he signs before Sunday and the Raiders are 2-12 entering their last two games, he will be the starter. Anything more than 4 wins guarantees he will never start, but 4 or less might allow him to.

It just seems that if theye were to let him play at all this year it'd be sending out the message to future draft picks "Hey, hold out for all you're worth. There's a spot waiting for you when you get here"

Turtlepower
09-06-2007, 12:50 AM
It just seems that if theye were to let him play at all this year it'd be sending out the message to future draft picks "Hey, hold out for all you're worth. There's a spot waiting for you when you get here"

And why would they care what message they send to future draft picks. If it is in their best interests to start Russell they should because it is more the system's fault than Oakland's that there was such a long holdout. Oakland did try to lowball Russell, but their should have never been contract talks in the first place, just give them there money based on draft order and this mess would have never happened in the first place. =D

locseti
09-06-2007, 12:53 AM
He'll have to sign soon because hes starting to lose game checks now that the season is about to begin. He wasnt losing money during the preseason, but now that the season is starting, he's losing big money. I dont know about the reports from JR's uncle, but if I was JaMarcus I'd tell my agents to get my ass in a auniform so I could maximize my football AND financial potential for the year. The Raiders have all the leverage now. I honestly dont even care at this point, since he wont play this year anyway, I just want him to get in so the players can develop a relationship with him.

RaiderNation
09-08-2007, 03:56 PM
if hes not signed today or 2marrow he will probably never be signed by us

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-08-2007, 09:13 PM
I really am sick of this just trade his ass to Atlanta for a 1st rounder.Sign CPep for the next couple of years.

Borat
09-08-2007, 09:57 PM
I really am sick of this just trade his ass to Atlanta for a 1st rounder.Sign CPep for the next couple of years.

I think you've already missed the trading window for unsigned draft picks. At this point, you can sign him or let him go back into the draft next year. Those are the only options left.

Windy
09-09-2007, 12:29 AM
the word is an agreement has been made they just have to finalize it. it should be official within a few days i'm guessing.

slightlyaraiderfan
09-09-2007, 04:03 AM
the word is an agreement has been made they just have to finalize it. it should be official within a few days i'm guessing.
I hope you're right, just like some of the other stuff you told me during the offseason.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-09-2007, 09:10 AM
I dont like him (well he's a good guy, but i dont think he's that good) because how many times do you throw the ball 60 yards downfield. So its great that he can throw far, but most deep passes hardly require 30 yards. So really accuracy means more in the nfl than throw power. But if Russell does sit a year it will do wonders for him like it has Palmer, Campbell and others

It's not his distance, it's the velocity, which is VERY important. He also his pretty damn accurate as well, probably moreso than Quinn. He's not some guy with a rocket arm he can't control.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-09-2007, 09:11 AM

Yeah it's about time. Even though I hate the Raiders, I was a Russell supporter, so I still wanna be right. As long as he sucks against the Broncos.

P-L
09-09-2007, 09:35 PM
I believe they said during the Raiders/Lions game that he is expected to sign a contract within the next couple of days.

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-09-2007, 10:09 PM
they keep on saying that though and still nothing has happened.

nobodyinparticular
09-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Alright, so both The Rumor Monger (Schefter) and Jay Glazer are reporting that Russell is going to sign today. What do you guys think about that?

Borat
09-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Do you guys really still call Shefter the "rumor monger"? Wasn't it because he reported that the Raiders were going to fire Art Shell after the season? Didn't they fire Art Shell after the season?

Good job on getting Russell signed though. He's going to be a beast in a year or two.

Addict
09-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Do you guys really still call Shefter the "rumor monger"? Wasn't it because he reported that the Raiders were going to fire Art Shell after the season? Didn't they fire Art Shell after the season?

Good job on getting Russell signed though. He's going to be a beast in a year or two.

he signed? Numbers?

HEISMANHERSCHEL
09-10-2007, 02:26 PM
At this point, I would offer a lot less money than before. It would probably be smart to sign him, but I am mad at him. I think everyone wanted to see him play.

If he did not sign for a significant amount of money, I would let him sit there and take out loans all year.

Windy
09-10-2007, 08:26 PM
http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_6854458

31 million guaranteed. very happy it wasn't 35 or 36 like his agents demanded.

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Hes sucessfully ruined his first year.what an idiot this is what we originally offered.

Windy
09-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Hes sucessfully ruined his first year.what an idiot this is what we originally offered.

yea he would of been most likely the #2 already with a decent chance of seeing the field.

P-L
09-10-2007, 09:42 PM
6 years, $61 million, $32 million guaranteed

According to http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7194636?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

Windy
09-10-2007, 09:47 PM
6 years, $61 million, $32 million guaranteed

According to http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7194636?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

espn is reporting 68 million now but hopefully glazer is right.

RaiderNation
09-10-2007, 11:50 PM
thank god. hopefully he can get in a few games at the end of the season

nobodyinparticular
09-11-2007, 03:09 AM

Haha, most of us do it just for fun. There aren't enough good nicknames out there so when something creative (whether or not it's true) comes up, it is always nice to take it and run with it.

And yes, he was was right in his reporting that Shell would be fired. But that doesn't mean it's any less of an awesome nickname for someone.

Yes, I really did just start two sentences in a row with conjunctions.

nobodyinparticular
09-11-2007, 03:12 AM
thank god. hopefully he can get in a few games at the end of the season

I have to agree with this. If he doesn't, this season has to be seen as a totally lost season and about $15 million free for the guy. If he's not starting, he's not going to be practicing with the first string and as a result he won't get much practice at all so he will still be a n00b (yes, I really just used the term to describe a football player) when next training camp rolls around. However, if he starts a couple games at the end of the season, not only is he getting more practice time, but he is getting invaluable live game experience that he can use as a building block for the 2008 season.

Borat
09-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Haha, most of us do it just for fun. There aren't enough good nicknames out there so when something creative (whether or not it's true) comes up, it is always nice to take it and run with it.

And yes, he was was right in his reporting that Shell would be fired. But that doesn't mean it's any less of an awesome nickname for someone.

Yes, I really did just start two sentences in a row with conjunctions.

Haha. That's pretty funny. It is a pretty funny nickname. Sucks for Schefter, but then again, I don't care about Schefter.

iKNOW
09-12-2007, 09:17 PM
raiders overpaid for a mediocre player. i dont see russell being anything special. the guy has no drive, just wants to get paid. the raiders dont need him as they got culpepper and mccown who will perform at the same level but are a lot cheaper.

personally i think they were better off letting him reenter the draft and saving all that money. big draft day mistake by drafting him.

slightlyaraiderfan
09-12-2007, 10:09 PM
raiders overpaid for a mediocre player. i dont see russell being anything special. the guy has no drive, just wants to get paid. the raiders dont need him as they got culpepper and mccown who will perform at the same level but are a lot cheaper.

personally i think they were better off letting him reenter the draft and saving all that money. big draft day mistake by drafting him.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, too bad they're worthless. :)

Windy
09-12-2007, 10:27 PM
some good stuff from jerry mcdonald's blog

– Hard to imagine a more likeable, down-to-earth guy than Russell. Even the fans most angry at the time he spent away from camp would probably change their minds just listening to the guy talk for 15 minutes.

He seems well equipped to handle whatever good-natured hazing he'll get for being a wealthy rookie.

"Whatever the guys want, I'm going to give it to them," Russell said.

There weren't any particulars to be had regarding the contract issue, and at this point it's not even important. He got the $30 million or so he wanted, guaranteed, and if it seems ridiculous he didn't get it a long time ago, it doesn't matter.

Both sides are convinced they were right and will live with the deal. It doesn't make Russell's ascension to the No. 1 quarterback job any easier, but if it gives him peace of mind, so be it.

"Once I signed the contract I did drop a few tears, just to know I'm a blessed person, very blessed to be in the shoes I am today, and I worked hard for it," Russell said. "And I can't wait to go out there and work even harder."

– Kiffin's plan is to get Russell some extra work after practice with practice squad players and get him some work with the scout team. Russell said he has been speaking with quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo on an almost daily basis and knew the playbook well enough to call out plays in the Lions game while watching it on television.

– Russell, giving props to the organization which has guaranteed him $30 million, said he never wanted to go anywhere else as negotiations dragged on.

"People said that about the Michael Vick incident, 'They need a quarterback, you need to go over there.' I was like, 'Nah, I'm going to the Raiders. It's just a matter of time before I get there,' " Russell said. "I knew deep down in my heart where I got drafted to and where I wanted to play at and I just couldn't wait to get here.

slightlyaraiderfan
09-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Great comments from Russell, can't stay mad at the kid.

nobodyinparticular
09-13-2007, 04:15 PM
Gotta give him props for his last comment about wanting to go to Oakland. At least he's saying the right things.

09-13-2007, 06:55 PM
culpepper will start in the near future and once mccown is healthy again they will re-evaluate their QB situation depending on how he plays. j-roc will see time towards the end of the season maybe not by starting but by comin in later in the game. if j-roc knows the playbook as well as they say he does already than who knows??