PDA

View Full Version : Ed Reed threatened...TO BE BENCHED!!!!

Denver Bronco99
08-04-2007, 03:03 PM
The Ravens have told Ed Reed to either play within their secondary schemes, or risk being benched this season.
To a guy who they just over a year ago handed a $44.4 million contract, that's quite a statement. However, the Ravens went back to the tape this offseason and saw how poorly Reed played in help coverage with Samari Rolle in 2006. "I play with instincts," Reed says. "I'm never going to change my game."
Source: Baltimore Sun

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-preston803,0,5514341.column?track=rss

Smokey Joe
08-04-2007, 03:05 PM
trade him to the Bears... :)

He'll play with the Ravens.

Turtlepower
08-04-2007, 03:06 PM
I just think this forces Baltimore to trade him to the Giants. In return they can have Will Demps. =D

Shiver
08-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Steve Smith, TJ Houshmandzadeh, Braylon Edwards, off the top of my head scored deep touchdowns because Ed Reed was freelancing, aka 'playing my game.'

hornybastard
08-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Ed Reed sucks. He had one good year and like what Shiver just said a lot of WRs have scored on him because he was playing his game.

TheChampIsHere
08-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Well everyone knows Ed Reed plays on instincts and is a somewhat undisciplined player who will abandon his responsibilities when he thinks he can go make a play. The Ravens should realize this and realize that no one in the game is better at doing this. I cant imagine them benching him, and we'll see how stubborn Ed Reed chooses to be about his playing style. I would expect there to be some compromise but hes a instinctive player and thats not gonna change even if he does try to cut back a little bit and respect his responsibilites in the scheme more. But if Im Rex Ryan, im scheming for Reed to be able to freelance.

skinzzfan25
08-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Ed Reed sucks. He had one good year and like what Shiver just said a lot of WRs have scored on him because he was playing his game.

That's sarcasm right?

On the topic of the thread, it's probably because Rolle has dropped off dramatically in coverage. He's still good, but not what he used to be.

ShutDwn
08-04-2007, 03:26 PM

Ed Reed doesn't suck at all. Not following assignments is different from sucking.

HoopsDemon12
08-04-2007, 03:27 PM

well personally i would take that ****** ed reed you speak of on my team any day

Splat
08-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Ed Reed sucks.

LMAO HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!:)

08-04-2007, 03:29 PM

Well looking at his Stats he doesn't suck at all.

hornybastard
08-04-2007, 03:30 PM
I speak my mind on a Forum and people on here just don't respect you're opinion at all here comes all the negative spek. I hate this ******* forum.

08-04-2007, 03:31 PM
I speak my mind on a Forum and people on here just don't respect you're opinion at all here comes all the negative spek. I hate this ******* forum.

Uh oh he's leaving

#500 baby!

skinzzfan25
08-04-2007, 03:31 PM

Then remind us why you're still posting?

BigDawg819
08-04-2007, 03:32 PM
Ed Reed will be on the field no matter what, baring injury. First of all Mike Preston is an ass and his words should be taken with a grain of salt. He's Baltimore's version of a Pete Prisco for reference. Secondly, its all part of the process in trying to educate some of the naive fans of the Ravens to the fact that Samari Rolle wasn't as bad as they made him out to be. The only thing that needs to be taken out of this article is that Dennis Thurman is preaching more communication and team play in the secondary, which will only make the league's reigning #1 Defense even better.

BigDawg819
08-04-2007, 03:33 PM

Well now you have a red bar so there's another reason to hate this forum. Oh yeah, your welcome! :D

Splat
08-04-2007, 03:34 PM

Speaking your mind is fine saying off the wall crazy stuff like Ed Reed sucks not so much don't speak your mind if you don't want people to give there two cents back it is kinda the whole point of the board.

Yung Flippa
08-04-2007, 03:36 PM
The Ravens will not trade Ed away,
They'll solve this quick and it will be all good before the season starts.

BigDawg819
08-04-2007, 03:38 PM
The Ravens will not trade Ed away,
They'll solve this quick and it will be all good before the season starts.

There is nothing to solve, Reed needs to respect his assignments and adapt his style to the scheme. Everything will be fine and dandy come Opening Night.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-04-2007, 03:39 PM
It seems that a lot of problems would be solved replacing Rolle instead of Reed, but it is not unreasonable of the Ravens at all to ask Reed to do his job.

If he refuses then he's being a selfish baby.

ChewyRaven318
08-04-2007, 03:40 PM
This would be like Dungy telling Peyton to follow his plays or face being benched(Not an actual example, but something of that caliber). Ed Reed is one of the best safeties in the league, but training camp is all about getting players disciplined and making sure they don't blow their coverages, because in game-time situations, it will cost them valuable yardage.

This is nothing more than a way to get him under control. It is by NO MEANS serious.

DeathbyStat
08-04-2007, 03:41 PM
What is KC Joyner coaching in Baltimore now?

BigDawg819
08-04-2007, 03:41 PM
This would be like Dungy telling Peyton to follow his plays or face being benched(Not an actual example, but something of that caliber). Ed Reed is one of the best safeties in the league, but training camp is all about getting players disciplined and making sure they don't blow their coverages, because in game-time situations, it will cost them valuable yardage.

This is nothing more than a way to get him under control. It is by NO MEANS serious.

Mike Preston wrote it, of course its worthless.

ChewyRaven318
08-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Mike Preston wrote it, of course its worthless.

Also a good point.

Vikes99ej
08-04-2007, 04:07 PM

All right!!! I needed a new sig quote!

TitleTown088
08-04-2007, 04:08 PM

Hey it's you're opinion. It's wrong, but it's your opinion.

Geo
08-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Give me Ed Reed any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

ShutDwn
08-04-2007, 04:23 PM

All you said was Reed sucked and used Shiver's post as evidence. None of those WRs are scrubs and went on to score more TDs against other Safeties. If you wouldn't take Ed Reed on your team you don't know football. How he sucks is beyond me, but him free lancing is better that 90% of other safety's doing what they are supposed to. You can't find another defensive player with better instincts.

D-Unit
Ed Reed hasn't even been good the last 2 years. He's riding off his early career hype.

Bohleive
The fact that mike preston wrote the article (incidently, probably the only fact in the article) pretty much invalidates it completely. Preston basically makes stuff up in order to attract attention, he 'stirs the pot'. He's been essentially cut off from the locker room; they don't let him in anymore, and pretty much has no sources within the ravens organization at this point. Preston has a lengthy history of coming out with controversial stories like this which later on prove to be totally false (hence his getting cut off).

Geo
08-04-2007, 04:30 PM
lol, that's hilarious.

bearsfan_51
08-04-2007, 04:36 PM
People will respect your opinion if it's intelligent. I'm not saying this is the smartest most saavy board around, but you clearly have no room to talk.

Vikes99ej
08-04-2007, 04:37 PM
I'm still waiting for someone to say that Kerry Rhodes is better than Ed Reed.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Ed Reed hasn't even been good the last 2 years. He's riding off his early career hype.

Yeah it's Roy Williams who's the real deal, one of the top 3 DB's in league history.

BigDawg819
08-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Yeah it's Roy Williams who's the real deal, one of the top 3 DB's in league history.

Yeah Reed really is fighting for a job...........give me Roy "I Can't Cover" Williams everytime. :rolleyes:

JETS5128
08-04-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm still waiting for someone to say that Kerry Rhodes is better than Ed Reed.

It doesn't even need to be said, it's too obvious. Rhodes is by far better

BigDawg819
08-04-2007, 05:01 PM

Better at what, Chinese Checkers?

Vikes99ej
08-04-2007, 05:04 PM

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11722

D-Unit
08-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Preach it, brotha!

Seriously though, Reed's career has been on the decline.

Mr. Stiller
08-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Preach it, brotha!

OH NO YOU DIDN'T.

Shiver
08-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Preach it, brotha!

People are mesmerized by flashy play. Sound fundamentals are 'boring.'

bernbabybern820
08-04-2007, 05:44 PM

And Dungy would have the right to say that if it was negatively affecting the team's play.

ShutDwn
08-04-2007, 06:17 PM

I can't tell if you are pro Reed here or anti Reed.. Do you mean Reed hasn't been making the plays he did a few years ago, or that he isn't playing fundamentals?

JETS5128
08-04-2007, 06:24 PM
Better at what, Chinese Checkers?

And chess, i also heard he beat him in a hot dog eating contest

First post was sarcasm BTW

08-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Anybody Sig the HornyB quote yet?

AlexDown
08-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Anybody Sig the HornyB quote yet?

Why, its not even funny.

08-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Why, its not even funny.

It's just stupid though I figured somebody would quote it.

soybean
08-04-2007, 06:35 PM
Why, its not even funny.

seriously.

Smooth Criminal
08-04-2007, 06:50 PM
This is pointless. We all know Reed will be starting no matter what so why even make an article like this.

BigDawg819
08-04-2007, 06:53 PM
This is pointless. We all know Reed will be starting no matter what so why even make an article like this.

Because Mike Preston is a flaming lunatic!

Man_Of_Steel
08-04-2007, 07:03 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing Reed benched, at least for divisional games to teach him a lesson.

TitleTown088
08-04-2007, 07:41 PM

Hey hey hey, stop giving away Davis Stern's marketing strategies.

PACKmanN
08-04-2007, 07:53 PM
This guy makes anyone who plays beside him look amazing. He not going no where, he the face of that franchise.

Vikes99ej
08-04-2007, 07:56 PM
I wonder what ERU's opinion of this topic is.

Smooth Criminal
08-04-2007, 07:57 PM
Because Mike Preston is a flaming lunatic!

To make a statement like Reed will be benche you would almost have to be.

And Reed isn't the face of the franchise. Reed is the best player on that defense but Ray Lewis is still the face of the franchise.

ShutDwn
08-04-2007, 08:15 PM
To make a statement like Reed will be benche you would almost have to be.

And Reed isn't the face of the franchise. Reed is the best player on that defense but Ray Lewis is still the face of the franchise.

I agree. Ray Lewis is going to be until he retires.

Vikes99ej
08-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Mike Preston can inspect my dog's colon for all I care. Ed Reed is still the premier safety in the NFL.

xooberon
08-04-2007, 08:25 PM
This guy makes anyone who plays beside him look amazing.

yes because samari rolle played so outstandingly well last season

Race for the Heisman
08-04-2007, 08:39 PM
yes because samari rolle played so outstandingly well last season

Technically, Landry played beside him, corners are usually in the forward vicinity.

Dam8610
08-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Well, if they're going to bench him, they could just send him to Indy for a Day 2 pick instead...

Billick is crazy if this is anything other than some odd motivational tactic.

BlindSite
08-04-2007, 09:30 PM
This is a bit of willie beaman thing isn't it.

PalmerToCJ
08-04-2007, 11:27 PM
That really would be a shame if he was benched against the Bengals [/sarcasm]

I've heard about Reed freelancing too much for a while now. Obviously it does hurt them occasionally but the positives outweigh the negatives.

EdReedUnstoppable
08-05-2007, 01:48 AM

Who are you? If you hate it here then leave dude plenty of other places to talk football on the net.

PACKmanN
08-05-2007, 01:54 AM
no way they trade him, they have no one behind him worth talking about.

tjpackers
08-05-2007, 12:03 PM
y bench ed reed he is awsome

HerthaFootballFan
08-05-2007, 12:13 PM
I actually think that it might be a good decision to bench him for a little bit and see if they can get someone to play the position fundamentally correctly and not give up the big plays Ed Reed does. I think if they could get someone to come in and play well Ed might be convinced to change his game a little to cut down the big plays he gives up.

BigDawg819
08-05-2007, 12:15 PM
I actually think that it might be a good decision to bench him for a little bit and see if they can get someone to play the position fundamentally correctly and not give up the big plays Ed Reed does. I think if they could get someone to come in and play well Ed might be convinced to change his game a little to cut down the big plays he gives up.

That could be a thought, no wait Gerome Sapp is the backup so that officially is the WORST IDEA EVER!

PalmerToCJ
08-05-2007, 03:18 PM
That could be a thought, no wait Gerome Sapp is the backup so that officially is the WORST IDEA EVER!

Well they should at least bench him for the Bengals games, it only makes sense. Or release him and surely the Bengals would sign him and struggle with him as well. [/sarcasm]

BigDawg819
08-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Well they should at least bench him for the Bengals games, it only makes sense. Or release him and surely the Bengals would sign him and struggle with him as well. [/sarcasm]

LMAO!!!!!

Besides he's not a flawed character guy so you know the Bengals wouldn't go near him. :D

steelernation77
08-05-2007, 03:35 PM
LMAO!!!!!

Besides he's not a flawed character guy so you know the Bengals wouldn't go near him. :D

he hasn't murdered anyone either....

I'm surprised the Ravens let him on their defense.

fenikz
08-05-2007, 03:38 PM
Well everyone knows Ed Reed plays on instincts and is a somewhat undisciplined player who will abandon his responsibilities when he thinks he can go make a play. The Ravens should realize this and realize that no one in the game is better at doing this. I cant imagine them benching him, and we'll see how stubborn Ed Reed chooses to be about his playing style. I would expect there to be some compromise but hes a instinctive player and thats not gonna change even if he does try to cut back a little bit and respect his responsibilites in the scheme more. But if Im Rex Ryan, im scheming for Reed to be able to freelance.

exactly a player like that you make a game plan for, i would be pissed if A-Dub just dropped back into coverage all day

BigDawg819
08-05-2007, 03:39 PM
he hasn't murdered anyone either....

I'm surprised the Ravens let him on their defense.

Well considering no one else has murdered anyone on our defense why would that be an issue? Only moronic Steeler fans bring this up, get over it and move on!

steelernation77
08-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Well considering no one else has murdered anyone on our defense why would that be an issue? Only moronic Steeler fans bring this up, get over it and move on!

I wonder if the families of Jacinth Baker and Richard Loller have gotten over it and moved on...

BigDawg819
08-05-2007, 03:52 PM
I wonder if the families of Jacinth Baker and Richard Loller have gotten over it and moved on...

I don't know maybe they should ask the Atlanta Police to actually find their killer.

etk
08-05-2007, 04:33 PM
Once again, defenses that play with "emotion" and "instinct" are undisciplined defenses. Ed Reed needs to focus more on his scheme and executing his assignment instead of getting jacked up with Ray Lewis over one play. Like Shiver said, he's not invincible and has been burned from time to time. Reed will have to face the reality that he needs to play more fundamentally sound football; the game is not a track meet nor is it sandlot football.

LSUALUM99
08-05-2007, 04:42 PM
See, this is what inflames me about posters here.

I think Ed Reed is the best safety in football. I don't know that he is though. I mean, take two seconds to think if YOU really know what each player is supposed to be doing on any given play. You don't. You think you know, but you have no real idea. So, it inflames me that people here seem to think they know more than the Baltimore coaches. If he were to be benched, he would probably be hurting his team more than helping.

If a guy gives up 1 touchdown a game but also gets 1 interception a game is he worse than one that gives up zero touchdowns but also gets zero interceptions? To me, yes, he's substantially worse. Would he be in the Hall of Fame averaging an INT a game? His stats would suggest he would be. He'd never get that far because his team would get rid of him or bench him.

So, this begs the question. If the Baltimore Coaching staff benched him or mentioned benching him, do you think THEY think he's hurting more than helping?

HerthaFootballFan
08-05-2007, 04:44 PM
exactly a player like that you make a game plan for, i would be pissed if A-Dub just dropped back into coverage all day

I'm not saying he's a great playmaker, but his freelancing ways hurt the ravens a lot as well as he would look to make a big play instead of staying with his responsibilities. If he could focus on maintaining his responsibilities and free lancing while still in position to cover his spot that'd be much better. And if he says that he's not changing his game then you have to force him to, even if that means benching him in training camp.

etk
08-05-2007, 04:47 PM
I think Ed Reed is overrated as a safety. He is not the most physical safety and his mental game leaves much to be desired. He's inconsistent. I'd much rather have a player like Troy Polamalu who has tremendous closing burst and plays very well within his scheme. Troy can line up as a centerfielder, he can blitz from the middle, he can contain from the edge, etc. He does it all and he does it how he's supposed to. All safeties make mistakes, but those that play within the system limit their mistakes. It's unacceptable for any player to think he's above the coaches. We saw it with LaVar Arrington, look where he is now. Your coaches are paid to teach you and implement their system because they are more knowledgeable. Do what they say and don't whine about it.

etk
08-05-2007, 04:49 PM
I'm not saying he's a great playmaker, but his freelancing ways hurt the ravens a lot as well as he would look to make a big play instead of staying with his responsibilities. If he could focus on maintaining his responsibilities and free lancing while still in position to cover his spot that'd be much better. And if he says that he's not changing his game then you have to force him to, even if that means benching him in training camp.

The whole point of staying within your responsibility is to make the big play. Many defensive plays and schemes are designed to create confusion and a big-play opportunity for a player on the field, usually a safety. Reed doesn't need to freelance to make plays, and if he craves his own attention, stats and accolades so much he should be benched. Football is a team sport, and defense is all about supporting your brothers.

HerthaFootballFan
08-05-2007, 04:54 PM
I think Ed Reed is overrated as a safety. He is not the most physical safety and his mental game leaves much to be desired. He's inconsistent. I'd much rather have a player like Troy Polamalu who has tremendous closing burst and plays very well within his scheme. Troy can line up as a centerfielder, he can blitz from the middle, he can contain from the edge, etc. He does it all and he does it how he's supposed to. All safeties make mistakes, but those that play within the system limit their mistakes. It's unacceptable for any player to think he's above the coaches. We saw it with LaVar Arrington, look where he is now. Your coaches are paid to teach you and implement their system because they are more knowledgeable. Do what they say and don't whine about it.

To be fair Arrington is done not because of his freelancing, but because of his injuries. If he had never gotten injured he'd still be a starter and boarder line probowler. The problem is though that Reed wasn't a LB but rather a safety, he's it, there's no one to cover him if his guy gets by him, so for that reason alone he should play more within the scheme. However having said that his playmaking abilities are incredible, and more so because he still does an above average job covering his responsibilities, just not a great job like other elite safeties, Dawkins for example.

TimD
08-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Then remind us why you're still posting?

thank you.. exactly what i was thinking

etk
08-05-2007, 04:56 PM
thank you.. exactly what i was thinking

Just ignore it. Jetsfuture did the same thing a while ago and got banned for it.

BigDawg819
08-05-2007, 05:03 PM

Oh Really?

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/fb_AAHM197_8x10~Ed-Reed-Posters.jpg

http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2005-07/18604565.jpg

HerthaFootballFan
08-05-2007, 05:07 PM
so two pictures of him falling are supposed to make us think he's physical?

etk
08-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Wow, 2 images make Ed Reed more physical than Sean Taylor (oops), Brian Dawkins and Rodney Harrison. BigDawg steals the show again...

BigDawg819
08-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Wow, 2 images make Ed Reed more physical than Sean Taylor (oops), Brian Dawkins and Rodney Harrison. BigDawg steals the show again...

And how many of those mentioned players won Defensive Player of the Year? Thats what I thought...........

etk
08-05-2007, 05:18 PM
And how many of those mentioned players won Defensive Player of the Year? Thats what I thought...........

What, you thought your posts bring no relevance or substance to discussion? You're right. If you can't justify why Reed is the most physical safety in the league don't bother to comment at all. Bringing up one award of little relevance or importance to the topic proves nothing but how big of a tool you are. This is your last chance to prove yourself otherwise I'll just ignore all of your posts as spam. Anytime you challenge me from now on and I don't respond it's because you're not worth my time for argument.

BigDawg819
08-05-2007, 05:30 PM
What, you thought your posts bring no relevance or substance to discussion? You're right. If you can't justify why Reed is the most physical safety in the league don't bother to comment at all. Bringing up one award of little relevance or importance to the topic proves nothing but how big of a tool you are. This is your last chance to prove yourself otherwise I'll just ignore all of your posts as spam. Anytime you challenge me from now on and I don't respond it's because you're not worth my time for argument.

I don't need to respond to your moronic statements because they're worthless but this time I'll make an exception.

Then knock that Reed isn't physicial is bunk! Most base this argument on the fact that he doesn't play in the box and blitz but news flash he doesn't need to in our defense with proven pass rushers all over our D but even then he still will blitz from time to time with an effect everytime. Just because he doesn't make Sportscenter highlights every week like Taylor for jacking up a Punter! doesn't mean he can't lay wood with the best of them. Anyone who watches him closely and see when he's in centerfield and receivers come across the middle he's there waiting to unload. Unlike the others mentioned he can actually cover and doesn't always need to make a big hit because he likely has broken up the play and/or provided good enough coverage to negate a pass. But he's not only great in coverage but he's also very solid against the run as well. I'm tired of these ridiculous notions that he's not physical because they're moronic and unfounded!

HerthaFootballFan
08-05-2007, 05:46 PM
please give me any proof that he actually can hit. I love the guy but you have to realize that hitting just isn't his thing, and in coverage he often makes bad mistakes trying to make plays. These are the knocks on his game please respond to them and them alone. We all agree that he can make a lot of great plays but these things are things he doesn't do well.

The Legend
08-06-2007, 04:24 PM
people are we forget that game vs colts in the playoffs he was just everywhere

picks , big hits , deflections , just everywhere

ed reed does not play to his postion and many times that does not help rolle or the team

but all the times hes not where he was suppose to be he them saying "he was in the right place at the right time"

i agree with Champ that they should make plays , but not every play just some so he does not fell not involed in the game "like he has to do something on his own to get involed" thats my 2 cents

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-06-2007, 07:29 PM
we all knew he freelanced, this shouldn't come as a suprise. and u had heard wispers of him leaving teammates out to dry at time by not covering his end (in the scheme), so this just makes it known that the coaches don't like it and want him to cut down doing it. He won't be benched, but u never know it could be ala Levar Arrington.

The only thing about this that comes as any suprise is Ed Reed's reaction and response. I'm not a fan of that one bit and that makes me think this is an issue that may be worth watching. He won't be benched, they have to much money into him and he's to good a player, but u never want a leader on ur team voicing that type of opinion. Not good for team moral, and doesn't send a good message. He went down a notch in my books, no doubt.