PDA

View Full Version : Jon Abbate as a FB

NYGIANTSFAN_UK
08-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Appears the former Wake Forest LB has been converted to FB by the Texans, why and when?

neko4
08-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Isnt he a top prospect?

elway777
08-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Isnt he a top prospect?

He entered the previous draft.

HoopsDemon12
08-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Appears the former Wake Forest LB has been converted to FB by the Texans, why and when?

why? has he shown the ability to block? i mean he was a good linebacker... give him a shot man

TimD
08-05-2007, 03:02 PM
i think he got drafted as a FB even though he was a LB.. or that may be someone else

Mr. Stiller
08-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Oliver Hoyte?

'cuse-213
08-05-2007, 03:06 PM
why? has he shown the ability to block? i mean he was a good linebacker... give him a shot man

yeah, really. I liked wacthing him at LB.

TimD
08-05-2007, 03:11 PM
i think he got drafted as a FB even though he was a LB.. or that may be someone else

na i was wrong he did get drafted as a LB but moved because the Texans needed depth to Vonta Leech at FB...

High marks for Abbate
If Gary Kubiak had to pinpoint "surprise players" in training camp, Jon Abbate's name would be at the top of the list.

The Texans shifted the rookie Wake Forest from linebacker to fullback, and the transition has been smoother than they ever predicted. With Jameel Cook on the physically-unable-to-perform list, Abbate has the opportunity to be a backup to Vonta Leach.

"It's been special," Kubiak said. "You take a kid from defense and put that much pressure on him, and put him on the offensive side of the ball, you got a short window to try to impress us. He can play in this league at fullback. I know one thing, our team knows he'll hit somebody, and that counts for a lot. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes, and we'll see how the preseason goes, but the kid's made up a lot of ground."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5020573.html

jbeans187
08-05-2007, 03:36 PM
i thought he had a chance to be a good linebacker

HerthaFootballFan
08-05-2007, 05:06 PM
That's actually a great decision, He just didn't have the great tools to be an NFL linebacker but he's a hard worker, tough and loves to hit people, perfect for a Fullback if you ask me.

etk
08-05-2007, 05:23 PM
I've seen undersized (short) linebackers converted to fullback at the HS and college level. It's often an unexpected success because of the intensity they bring. Abbate can crack a roster at FB if he works hard enough.

fischbowl
08-05-2007, 11:03 PM

he went undrafted. I really liked him as a LB, he was gret for wake but the demands of top notch nfl size caught up with him.

Vikes99ej
08-05-2007, 11:44 PM
He should not have left early.

America
08-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Yeah, they had that in the papers a couple weeks ago. I was really excited when I heard bout it cause they was no way he'd make the roster at LB but now he has a legit shot at being the #2 FB and getting to be a ST guy. Jameel Cook was pretty awful last season and might not make the team as he isn't one of those banger FBs, whereas Abbate has shown that capability.

Mr. Stiller
08-06-2007, 12:44 AM

That happened to Mike McFadden of GVSU.. the kid played DT/DE/OLB was a top 3-4 OLB Prospect and got signed by Tampa to be a FB.

ncst8fan83
08-06-2007, 08:02 AM
He should not have left early.

what was he going to prove coming back this year? he's not getting taller. wake probably won't have nearly as good a season as they did last year. he went the stephen tulloch route and decided to take his chances. as long as he sticks somewhere, you can't fault him for that.

schmiddog
08-06-2007, 04:29 PM
I like the change. I know there have been plenty of linebackers without all the measurables that have found success, but I really think this guys physical tools would have limited him in the NFL at LB. He's a gutsy, tough player too, which bodes well for him as a FB.

gator3guy
08-12-2007, 10:07 PM
He's got a nice build for it. Short,stout and he's smart and tough. He can double up as a ST guy and work out as a FB. I think this move might actually work. Only thing you have to see are how his hands hold up. You gotta rout for a guy in a situation like this, hope it works out like the Oliver Hoyte situation.

Ho0k Em'
08-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Boomer Grigsby our 5th round pick LB out of Illinois State 3 years ago is being converted to FB after 2 years in the league at LB.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/player/james_grigsby/

HoopsDemon12
08-13-2007, 12:33 AM
haha oh man did you guys hear about casey hampton getting to play fullback and getting lit up? haha says he doesnt wanan play it anymore