PDA

View Full Version : Booger McFarland out for the season

Mr. Stiller
08-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Adam Schefter just reported prior to the NFLN Pre-season HOF game that Booger McFarland has a torn ACL and he's likely out for the season.

They just Corey Simon and from what I heard Quinn Pitcock failed his physical.

The Dynasty
08-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Yeah i just heard that from watching the pre-game as well. Thats not good for the colts.

Mr. Stiller
08-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Yeah i just heard that from watching the pre-game as well. Thats not good for the colts.

Not at all..

The money they lost from Simon.. and they basically lost what.. their 2nd and 4th(Can't remember if Pitcock is 3rd or 4th) round picks... and they have no DT's again.

cardsalltheway
08-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Where did you hear that Pitcock failed his physical? All the recent news that I've heard says he actually passed.

Mr. Stiller
08-05-2007, 07:02 PM
i forget where I've heard it.. I believe on SCI From a colts fan.

Splat
08-05-2007, 07:15 PM
They are super thin at DT.

diabsoule
08-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Not good at all for the Colts. There goes there run defense.

KILLERSANTA
08-05-2007, 07:32 PM
Not good at all for the Colts. There goes there run defense.
What Run defense?

7-11
08-05-2007, 07:39 PM
oh dear, that may be a problem for us

yourfavestoner
08-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Yes! Yes! Yes!

Geo
08-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Horrible news.

Looks like the gameplan is the same from last year: try to run the daylights out of the ball (and play-action pass successfully) against the Colts and Peyton Manning has to carry the team into the playoffs.

PS. Oh YFS, the Jags were going to run the ball against the Colts anyways. They have either the best or second-best run-blocking OL in the league, although the Jags will have either their back-up or a rusty Meester at center for the MNF game.

diabsoule
08-05-2007, 08:07 PM
What Run defense?

They showed a semblance of one in the playoffs last year.

JT Jag
08-05-2007, 08:10 PM
This is just more proof that God is a Jaguars fan.

(p.s.: My condolences to Mr. McFarland and his family for his injury and for the salary he may lose as a result. I wish injury on no player)

PACKmanN
08-05-2007, 08:12 PM
maybe we can trade Corey Williams for there first round pick :)

yourfavestoner
08-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Horrible news.

Looks like the gameplan is the same from last year: try to run the daylights out of the ball (and play-action pass) against the Colts and Peyton Manning has to carry the team into the playoffs.

PS. Oh YFS, the Jags were going to run the ball against the Colts anyways. They have either the best or second-best run-blocking OL in the league, although the Jags will have either their back-up or a rusty Meester at center for the MNF game.

This is true. I'm not too worried about Norman, though, when it comes to run blocking. When Meester tore his bicep (coulda been his bicep) in 2005, Norman came in and easily outperformed him. He's much more powerful than Meester, is a much better athlete, and does better driving defenders off the ball.

The thing that I'm worried about is how well the chemistry will be between him, Manuwai, and Naeole. Meester's chemistry with the two guards was a huge reason for the offensive line having such a good year last year.

bernbabybern820
08-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Should Tank Johnson expect a phone call?

Geo
08-05-2007, 08:23 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

zoinks
08-05-2007, 08:30 PM
The Colts' defense was just awful coming into this year, and had already lost a number of starters from what was already a very poor unit.

I saw them as a 10-6 team a few weeks ago....and that was before they lost Tarik Glenn and Booger McFarland.

At this point, 7-9 wouldn't surprise me.

Jonathan_VIlma
08-05-2007, 08:42 PM
The Colts' defense was just awful coming into this year, and had already lost a number of starters from what was already a very poor unit.

I saw them as a 10-6 team a few weeks ago....and that was before they lost Tarik Glenn and Booger McFarland.

At this point, 7-9 wouldn't surprise me.I highly doubt so long as Manning is there, they will be a losing team. They've won without a defense before and they will again.

Caddy
08-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Should Tank Johnson expect a phone call?

I really wouldn't be surprised to see the Colts branch out to him. They definitely need some help at defensive tackle.

JoeMontainya
08-05-2007, 08:46 PM
If someone gets the facts straight on Pitcock please let me know

TimD
08-05-2007, 08:47 PM
how long is he suspended for?

7-11
08-05-2007, 09:23 PM

Haha, righto mate. as long as peyton manning is under center this is not a losing team in my opinion. Howard Mudd is arguably the best offensive line coach in the business and Ugoh (or whoever else plays LT) will be ready by the start of the season. Booger is a massive loss and essentially isnt going to be replaced by anyone of his quality, but in saying that its hard to imagine the run D will be worse then it was in the regular season of last year (and we still finished 12-4). and also,the tank johnson idea - dont hold your breath for it, indy is all about high character guys and although i personally would like to see tank in blue and white i just dont see it happening

T-RICH49
08-05-2007, 09:26 PM
how long is he suspended for?

8 games I thnk

zoinks
08-05-2007, 09:29 PM
I highly doubt so long as Manning is there, they will be a losing team. They've won without a defense before and they will again.

True.

OTOH, over the last half of the 2006 season, the Colts scored almost 26 points per game....and yet they went 4-4 over that period, and were swept by their division rivals, primarily due to a porous defense.

Since then, they've lost almost half of their defensive starters, including both corners, their best LB, and their best run-stopping DT. Their once-great defensive depth is in shambles.

There's no question that Manning is one of the greatest QB's in history...but if their defense can't get opponents off the field, then Peyton is neutralized.

VPF
08-05-2007, 09:29 PM
maybe we can trade Corey Williams for there first round pick :)

i believe they already traded heir 1st next year to trade up and get ugoh. lol between this and tarik glenn retiring, i might be worried if i were a colts fan

Mr. Stiller
08-05-2007, 09:31 PM
True.

OTOH, over the last half of the 2006 season, the Colts scored almost 26 points per game....and yet they went 4-4 over that period, and were swept by their division rivals, primarily due to a porous defense.

Since then, they've lost almost half of their defensive starters, including both corners, their best LB, and their best run-stopping DT. Their once-great defensive depth is in shambles.

There's no question that Manning is one of the greatest QB's in history...but if their defense can't get opponents off the field, then Peyton is neutralized.

I remember the last few years that the Colts go like 13-0 and then they get to rest the starters.. I think this year they're goign to have to fight to the end.. Not that I think they'll be challenged divisionally.. but overall.

cardsalltheway
08-05-2007, 09:36 PM

I just spit out my water laughing at that.

7-11
08-05-2007, 09:44 PM
True.

im happier with the lb and cb situation this year over last year, that is if everyone can stay healthy. cato june is one of the worst tackling lb's in the league and i think freddie keiaho will be a major upgrade at wslb this year and will help to sure up the run D bigtime with his intensity and surer tackling.

marlin jackson, kelvin hayden, dante hughes and tim jennings all have more upside then our previous starters at cb and although inexperienced should be alright considering they run in a defensive system that doesnt ask alot of corners.

combine this with a healthy bob sanders all year (heres hoping) and i think we should be alright. although im saying all this i still think the loss of booger is major and going to be very hard to overcome

7-11
08-05-2007, 09:46 PM
I just spit out my water laughing at that.

exactly, sure he can cover. but wow, that tackling, just wow

Geo
08-05-2007, 10:02 PM

1- Over the last 8 games of the season, the Colts averaged 24.375 pts per game.

2- The Colts run defense was abysmal all regular season long, let's not kid ourselves. Easily one of the worst in league history.

(An interesting stat, brought to my attention courtesy of Pro Football Prospectus 2007: the 2006 Colts went 11-1 with Dallas Clark in the lineup, and 1-3 without him. Clark came back to the playoffs and they went 4-0, but of course the defense improved its play tremendously in that frame.)

3- Starters from last season who won't start this year: DT Anthony McFarland (given this weekend), LB Cato June, CB Nick Harper, and CB Jason David. The Colts already prepared themselves for the latter three.

4- About Peyton being neutralized because the defense can't get off the field: how was that not the case in 2006?

I remember the last few years that the Colts go like 13-0 and then they get to rest the starters.. I think this year they're goign to have to fight to the end.. Not that I think they'll be challenged divisionally.. but overall.
Er, they played the entire season last year. Manning took every single snap, in fact. (http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/IND/2006/regular)

P-L
08-05-2007, 10:33 PM
This was before he signed...

Colts | Pitcock fails physical
Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:03:22 -0700
The NFL (http://www.kffl.com/team/77/nfl) Network reports Indianapolis Colts (http://www.kffl.com/team/19/nfl) DL Quinn Pitcock (http://www.kffl.com/player/16071/nfl), a third-round draft pick out of Ohio State, has failed his physical.

http://www.kffl.com/team/19/nfl (http://www.kffl.com)

Shiver
08-05-2007, 10:34 PM
This hurts, but not nearly as much as the loss of Tarik Glenn. Unless Tony Ugoh surprises me.

7-11
08-05-2007, 10:45 PM
This hurts, but not nearly as much as the loss of Tarik Glenn. Unless Tony Ugoh surprises me.

i think the losses are almost comparable, booger was the best dt tony dungy has had to work with since coming to indy and reports are ugoh has been doing alright in camp (except being burned by freeney a few times, fully understandable but).
the loss of booger on the other hand means that the starters look to be pitcock at NT (not exactly a natural postion for him) and brock at UT. that does not sound good to me.

PalmerToCJ
08-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Well, the Colts are still the obvious AFC South picks but right now I'm not liking their chances for doing much in the playoffs.

zoinks
08-05-2007, 10:54 PM
What I'm saying is this:

Most NFL games are decided by 7 points or less. As such, many games are come down to the final two minutes, and are ultimately decided by a single possession.

When that happens, and the game rides on the Colts' ability to keep an opponent out of the endzone.....I just don't see it happening.

If they can jump out to quick leads and force opponents to throw the ball, they'll probably be okay. But when they let opponents hang around into the 4th quarter, they could be in serious trouble.

Philliez01
08-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Actually I think that the Colts are in good shape when it comes to SOME of the losses.

1)-Marlin Jackson can be as much as Nick Harper was and more. Jackson is younger and showed signs of being good when he did play at CB in 2006. I really like Marlin this year and have heard good things for Jackson as of now.

2)-Kelvin Hayden should be an immediate upgrade over Jason David. David hasn't been special and he's only an adequate starter. I'd say he could be just as good as David has really ever been.

3)-Freddie Keiaho is already an upgrade in terms of tackling and high-energy play over Cato June. Keiaho may not be the same as June in coverage BUT at least there will not be as many missed tackles this year.

The loss still hurts but Booger was still on the field during most of the season in which the run-D collapsed.

Fitzgerald11
08-05-2007, 11:22 PM
What rounds do the Colts pick in next year? If they have enough picks, they need to trade up and pick Glenn Dorsey.

Fitzgerald11
08-05-2007, 11:23 PM

What happened to Tarik Glenn?

And at this rate, it wouldn't surprise me if Peyton Manning got hurt.

Dam8610
08-05-2007, 11:25 PM

Thanks for the laugh, I needed that.

Philliez01
08-05-2007, 11:28 PM

He retired and thanks for that last part. Really is a good thing to say. But remember, WE HAVE SORGI.

PalmerToCJ
08-05-2007, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the laugh, I needed that.

Yeah no kidding. Peyton has never had a good defense. I'm thinking 10-6, maybe 9-7 but I doubt it.

Fitzgerald11
08-05-2007, 11:31 PM
He retired and thanks for that last part. Really is a good thing to say. But remember, WE HAVE SORGI.

Why would Tarik Glenn. I have a new nickname for him, Willie Roaf. But, at least the Colts drafted a left tackle.

7-11
08-05-2007, 11:32 PM
Why would Tarik Glenn. I have a new nickname for him, Willie Roaf. But, at least the Colts drafted a left tackle.

worst nickname, its just another guy's name

Mr. Stiller
08-05-2007, 11:39 PM

He retired.

zoinks
08-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Coming off a 13-3 finish in 2003, the KC Chiefs had the NFL's #1 offense in 2004....4600 yards passing, 2300 yards rushing, and averaging 30 points per game.

Absolutely amazing...almost 7000 yards of offense.

The Chiefs' record for that year? 7-9

Don't think it can't happen again.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-06-2007, 12:19 AM
True, but Trent Green is no Peyton Manning.

Crazy_Chris
08-06-2007, 12:29 AM
What rounds do the Colts pick in next year? If they have enough picks, they need to trade up and pick Glenn Dorsey.

Seeing as how the colts don't have a first round pick in 08 they won't be able to land Glenn Dorsey unless he has an incrediably bad year and his stock goes down the drain

kmartin575
08-06-2007, 12:31 AM
True, but Trent Green is no Peyton Manning.

And Joseph Addai is no Priest Holmes, Dallas Clark is no Tony Gonzalez, and the Colts offensive line does not compare at all to the one the Chiefs had back then.

7-11
08-06-2007, 12:34 AM
And Joseph Addai is no Priest Holmes, Dallas Clark is no Tony Gonzalez, and the Colts offensive line does not compare at all to the one the Chiefs had back then.

id take the current colts offense over that offense any day

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-06-2007, 12:46 AM
id take the current colts offense over that offense any day

I might too, just cuz of Peyton. I mean, he could be the best ever. Plus the Colts WRs absolutely blow the hell out of anything the Chiefs have, had, or probably ever will have, and if Ugoh doesn't suck, their line will be more than good enough.

7-11
08-06-2007, 12:53 AM
I might too, just cuz of Peyton. I mean, he could be the best ever. Plus the Colts WRs absolutely blow the hell out of anything the Chiefs have, had, or probably ever will have, and if Ugoh doesn't suck, their line will be more than good enough.

IMO it all comes back to the coaching staff and peyton. Howard Mudd has been plugging in late rd draft picks on that line for years and making it one of the best in the league, tom moore is probably one of the top 2 coordinators in the league who will never be a head coach and tony dungy, well hes tony dungy, one of the best personnel coaches in the league

Geo
08-06-2007, 01:25 AM
Point A: The #1 offense in 2004

The 04 Colts scored more total points (520 vs. 483) and averaged more points per game (32.625! vs. 30.1875), in 121 less plays (968 vs. 1089). For accuracy's sake, the yardage statistics for the 04 Chiefs - 2289 rushing yards, 4406 passing yards, 6695 total yards - and for the 04 Colts - 1852 rushing yards, 4623 passing yards, 6475 total yards.

The 04 Colts committed 17 turnovers, 10 interceptions and 7 fumbles, whereas the Chiefs committed 27, in the form of 17 interceptions and 10 fumbles. A good factor as to why the Colts were +19 in turnover differential and the fraud Chiefs were -7 in 2004. Those extra yards gained by 04 Chiefs offense aren't surprising.

And maybe most importantly, the Colts did it considering the following (analysis by me for another site):

What's crazy is is that, if [2004] Manning was the stathound that critics claim(ed) him to be, he could have put up 55 TDs in 2004. Not many realize how much time he sat out that season, with the score so far ahead to protect the porous defense. He even left after the first (vanilla) drive against Denver in the regular season finale, because seedings were set and the Colts were set to play the Broncos in the Wild card round the next week.

Looking at time remaining when Jim Sorgi entered the game:
Q4 12:42 @CHI
Q3 1:15 @DET
Q4 9:53 TEN
Q1 12:16 @DEN

=> Manning sat out 96:06 of gametime in 2004. He effectively broke the TD and single season passer rating record in less than 14.5 games.

Of course, then the Colts unleashed the greatest quarterback to ever wear a jock in Jim Sorgi, which was completely unfair. Hence why the league informed the Colts after the 04 season to avoid playing Sorgi at all costs, to keep the game at a level playing field.

The Chiefs did have the superior running game, rushing for 2289 yards and 31 touchdowns; then again, that was the strength of their offense, given their offensive line and Priest Holmes as opposed to Trent Green and their paltry receiving core. Nevermind the 04 Colts' 51 passing touchdowns to the 04 Chiefs' 27, the Chiefs allowed 32 sacks to a staggering less 14 by the Colts. Despite the fact that the Colts threw for 217 more total passing yards and averaged 288.9 yds/g to the Chief's 275.4 yds/g - still considering the above point about Manning.

Could one argue that the 04 Chiefs had the tougher schedule? The 04 Colts averaged 38.24 points per game against the AFC West*, which dwarfed what they averaged against their own division (33.667 pts/g) in 6 games and just shy of what they averaged against the NFC West (39.5 pts/g) - a division as defensively-challenged as the 04 AFC West. The 04 Chiefs, on the other hand, averaged only 32.5 pts/g against the 04 AFC South and only 30.333 pts/g in their division: not close to what the record-breaking Colts offense did in similar circumstances, as noted above.

Also Football Outsiders' wonderful DVOA analysis confirms the above, ranking the 04 Colts offense (39.9%!) first in the league and the 04 Chiefs offense (28.7%) second. Notice the very considerable margin between the two.

*including the playoff game against the Broncos and excluding the Week 17 regular season game against the Broncos, which that the Colts essentially sat out; 35 pts vs Oakland (5-11), 35 pts vs Kansas City (7-9), 34 pts versus San Diego (12-4), and 49 pts vs Denver (10-6).

Point B: The 2004 Kansas City Chiefs as a viable comparison

Frankly, I don't think they are. They didn't exhibit the continued success year after year, before or after 2003, that the Colts have. Different situations. One might as well bring up the 2004 Minnesota Vikings or one-year wonders of similar ilk.

Dam8610
08-06-2007, 02:06 AM
Coming off a 13-3 finish in 2003, the KC Chiefs had the NFL's #1 offense in 2004....4600 yards passing, 2300 yards rushing, and averaging 30 points per game.

Absolutely amazing...almost 7000 yards of offense.

The Chiefs' record for that year? 7-9

Don't think it can't happen again.

That Chiefs team hadn't won 50 games in the last 4 years. If they had, I might be a little more worried.

7-11
08-06-2007, 06:35 AM
Point A: The #1 offense in 2004

The 04 Colts scored more total points (520 vs. 483) and averaged more points per game (32.625! vs. 30.1875), in 121 less plays (968 vs. 1089). For accuracy's sake, the yardage statistics for the 04 Chiefs - 2289 rushing yards, 4406 passing yards, 6695 total yards - and for the 04 Colts - 1852 rushing yards, 4623 passing yards, 6475 total yards.

The 04 Colts committed 17 turnovers, 10 interceptions and 7 fumbles, whereas the Chiefs committed 27, in the form of 17 interceptions and 10 fumbles. A good factor as to why the Colts were +19 in turnover differential and the fraud Chiefs were -7 in 2004. Those extra yards gained by 04 Chiefs offense aren't surprising.

And maybe most importantly, the Colts did it considering the following (analysis by me for another site):

The Chiefs did have the superior running game, rushing for 2289 yards and 31 touchdowns; then again, that was the strength of their offense, given their offensive line and Priest Holmes as opposed to Trent Green and their paltry receiving core. Nevermind the 04 Colts' 51 passing touchdowns to the 04 Chiefs' 27, the Chiefs allowed 32 sacks to a staggering less 14 by the Colts. Despite the fact that the Colts threw for 217 more total passing yards and averaged 288.9 yds/g to the Chief's 275.4 yds/g - still considering the above point about Manning.

Could one argue that the 04 Chiefs had the tougher schedule? The 04 Colts averaged 38.24 points per game against the AFC West*, which dwarfed what they averaged against their own division (33.667 pts/g) in 6 games and just shy of what they averaged against the NFC West (39.5 pts/g) - a division as defensively-challenged as the 04 AFC West. The 04 Chiefs, on the other hand, averaged only 32.5 pts/g against the 04 AFC South and only 30.333 pts/g in their division: not close to what the record-breaking Colts offense did in similar circumstances, as noted above.

Also Football Outsiders' wonderful DVOA analysis confirms the above, ranking the 04 Colts offense (39.9%!) first in the league and the 04 Chiefs offense (28.7%) second. Notice the very considerable margin between the two.

*including the playoff game against the Broncos and excluding the Week 17 regular season game against the Broncos, which that the Colts essentially sat out; 35 pts vs Oakland (5-11), 35 pts vs Kansas City (7-9), 34 pts versus San Diego (12-4), and 49 pts vs Denver (10-6).

Point B: The 2004 Kansas City Chiefs as a viable comparison

Frankly, I don't think they are. They didn't exhibit the continued success year after year, before or after 2003, that the Colts have. Different situations. One might as well bring up the 2004 Minnesota Vikings or one-year wonders of similar ilk.

well, that guy was comprehensively out argued, good effort but zoinks

Smooth Criminal
08-06-2007, 09:45 AM
Colts signed third-round DT Quinn Pitcock to a four-year contract.

"The Goat" missed the first week of training camp with a bum hamstring and had been on camp/PUP. The Colts want Pitcock to be a pass rusher from the interior initally, but he should become an every-down weapon down the line.

rotoworld

I didn't feel like looking through all 3 pages but it looks like Pitcock has passed his physical if they signed him.

Still doesn't look good for the Colts defense. I think Tank Johnson would be a great signing for them except for the suspension he would have to serve before joining the team.

I think they need to look for someone that gets cut at the end of a camp and try to bring in some extra depth.

Geo
08-06-2007, 11:16 AM
To reiterate: this is a very big deal/loss for the Colts. One that I'd argue bests any "loss" the defense suffered this off-season.

McFarland is the only legit starting NT on the roster, starting or otherwise. At the current moment, the team is left with Dan Klecko and two unproven rookies in Quinn Pitcock and Ed Johnson. Which is to say, a poor situation to be in currently.

As for Tank Johnson, I really think that idea should be put to rest. Though don't worry, the dumbass Colts fans (unfortunately there's a good number of them nowadays) have already begun clamoring "we should get Tank now!!!" Mind you, many of these are the same fans who said "Fire Dungy now!!!" last year.

(I really loathe a good part of the Colts' fanbase, thankfully the Colts fans we have on NFLDC are steps above them.)

I wonder how long until members of the esteemed media mention Warren Sapp, despite the fact that he's a 3 tech and the Colts need a blasted NT. lol, I'm not joking, it happened last year too.

Fitzgerald11
08-06-2007, 11:19 AM
To reiterate: this is a very big deal/loss for the Colts. One that I'd argue bests any "loss" the defense suffered this off-season.

McFarland is the only legit starting NT on the roster, starting or otherwise. At the current moment, the team is left with Dan Klecko and two unproven rookies in Quinn Pitcock and Ed Johnson. Which is to say, a poor situation to be in currently.

As for Tank Johnson, I really think that idea should be put to rest. Though don't worry, the dumbass Colts fans (unfortunately there's a good number of them nowadays) have already begun clamoring "we should get Tank now!!!" Mind you, many of these are the same fans who said "Fire Dungy now!!!" last year.

(I really loathe a good part of the Colts' fanbase, thankfully the Colts fans we have on NFLDC are steps above them.)

I wonder how long until members of the esteemed media mention Warren Sapp, despite the fact that he's a 3 tech and the Colts need a blasted NT. lol, I'm not joking, it happened last year too.

The only thing I can think of is to look within the roster for help a la the Patriots back in 04 when they used Troy Brown as a CB. Maybe they can use one of their OL as a DT.

bearsfan_51
08-06-2007, 11:23 AM
The Colts should sign Tank. I was just thinking how they didn't have enough malcontents and distractions. Plus, who else is going to supply the team with guns now that Mike Doss is gone?

bigbluedefense
08-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Kendrick Allen is still on the market. He won't provide any pass rush, but he can help the run defense.

Geo
08-06-2007, 11:29 AM
I think there's a good chance the Colts opt to go with the rookies, hoping/seeing them step up like we saw many rookie defensive tackles do last year.

The most immediate example that comes to mind being Barry Cofield of the Giants, an exceptional 4th round pick for them out of Northwestern. But there's also Domata Peko for the Bengals, both the tackles for the Redskins (Montgomery and Golston), and so on.

Maybe the team brings back UDFA Quintin Echols to compete with Quinn Pitcock and Ed Johnson.

princefielder28
08-06-2007, 11:29 AM
The Colts should sign Tank. I was just thinking how they didn't have enough malcontents and distractions. Plus, who else is going to supply the team with guns now that Mike Doss is gone?

Tank is a good idea. The Colts defense didn't turn on the switch till the end of last year anyways so when he comes off his suspension then they can actually play some defense.

Geo
08-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Kendrick Allen is still on the market. He won't provide any pass rush, but he can help the run defense.
Allen was signed by the Bengals. (http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6046)

bigbluedefense
08-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Allen was signed by the Bengals. (http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6046)

there goes that idea.

bearsfan_51
08-06-2007, 11:39 AM
The Bears will trade you Antonio Garay for a 7th rounder and a cheese sandwich.

And before you say I'm crazy, we got a 7th rounder last year for Lennie Friedman, and he played for Duke.

princefielder28
08-06-2007, 11:41 AM
The Packers could move Corey Williams. With Ryan Pickett, Colin Cole, and rookie Justin Harrell already on the roster Williams is expendable.

Geo
08-06-2007, 11:52 AM
You forgot Johnny Jolly!

Turn in your cheesehead immediately.

bigbluedefense
08-06-2007, 11:58 AM
We'll trade William Joseph for a 5th round pick.

princefielder28
08-06-2007, 11:59 AM
You forgot Johnny Jolly!

Turn in your cheesehead immediately.

I just mentioned players that make an impact; Jolly not so much.

bigbluedefense
08-06-2007, 12:02 PM
We'll trade William Joseph for a 5th round pick.

The more I think about it, Jerry Reese needs to make this happen. Sell the "he was a 1st round pick" mumbo jumbo to them, and the fact that he's decent against the run, and theyre desperate, we might be able to pull it off.

We got Jay Alford in the draft anyway, we can lose Joseph. Do it Reese. DO IT.

Geo
08-06-2007, 12:05 PM
If the Giants trade Joseph away, who will cover the opposing RBs?

:D

princefielder28
08-06-2007, 12:05 PM
The more I think about it, Jerry Reese needs to make this happen. Sell the "he was a 1st round pick" mumbo jumbo to them, and the fact that he's decent against the run, and theyre desperate, we might be able to pull it off.

We got Jay Alford in the draft anyway, we can lose Joseph. Do it Reese. DO IT.

HAHA! Quoting yourself and trying convince yourself that what you said was right and should happen.

bigbluedefense
08-06-2007, 12:06 PM
If the Giants trade Joseph away, who will cover the opposing RBs?

:D

Oh God...just when I erased that horrible memory from my head :(

Damn you Tim Lewis. Damn you to hell.

bigbluedefense
08-06-2007, 12:08 PM
HAHA! Quoting yourself and trying convince yourself that what you said was right and should happen.

haha. well in all seriousness, it is a plausible trade. Reese needs to make it happen.

Geo
08-06-2007, 12:09 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2007/08/a_cranky_evening_update.html

Best moment of practice: On one play, RB Brandon Jacobs ran a pass pattern into the flat and was covered by DE William Joseph. Much to Jacobs’ dismay, Manning threw to someone else. That led Jacobs to yell, “Come on, man! I got Willie Jo out here with me!”

bigbluedefense
08-06-2007, 12:14 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2007/08/a_cranky_evening_update.html

The comment on the bottom spoke volumes about how we feel as Giants fans...

Oh and wtf Spags? This better just be tinkering and not actually done during the game :(

What's with all this messing around with defensive schemes? Is Lewis wearing a Spags mask to haunt us or something? I don't like the sound of all that screwing around with the defensive front. All we need to do with the D-Line is rotate in fresh legs as they're needed. We don't need DE's covering downfield on pass plays, we need them sacking enemy QB's! It's tough enough for our LB's to cover TE's and RB's, we donn't need to stress out the D-Line! What's the hell's the matter with Spags?! What happened to the good, old fashioned smash-mouth football - just like the offense? I thought we were getting better?! Not same old, same old. We already know what DOESN'T work...

princefielder28
08-06-2007, 12:16 PM
haha. well in all seriousness, it is a plausible trade. Reese needs to make it happen.

But it's the Giants and it probably won't.

Jughead10
08-06-2007, 12:27 PM
If Strahan doesn't come back we'll need Willie Jo for rotational purposes at DE. Coughlin has singled him out as to having a strong camp so far primarily playing DE.

bigbluedefense
08-06-2007, 12:34 PM
If Strahan doesn't come back we'll need Willie Jo for rotational purposes at DE. Coughlin has singled him out as to having a strong camp so far primarily playing DE.

I rather have Awasome in there. Joseph played DE last year when we had all those injuries and was horrible there. If we're banking on Joseph to hold down a DE spot just in case, chances are we're screwed anyway and could use an extra draft pick to begin with.

bearsfan_51
08-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Johnny Jolly and Colin Cole are the best 3rd string DT tandem in the entire NFC North.

Believe it.

Geo
08-06-2007, 12:47 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070806/SPORTS03/708060425/1100

Dungy: McFarland's injury a 'long-term' proposition

By Mike Chappell
August 6, 2007

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. -- The Indianapolis Colts are prepared to move on without defensive tackle Anthony McFarland. It remains to be seen if that means for several weeks, or the entire season.

Coach Tony Dungy confirmed after this morning's practice at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology that McFarland suffered damage to the patella tendon in one of his knees late last week.

"We don't know the full extent of it,'' Dungy said. "It's serious. It's something where he's not going to be back in the next 3-4 weeks. It's a long-term injury.''

Surgery is likely. Dungy wouldn't speculate on whether McFarland could return from the operation and play late in the season. After practice, Dungy informed the players that injuries are part of the game and that someone must step up and fill in for a fallen teammate.

"We've lost guys and other guys have stepped up,'' he said. "We've got some guys that (the injury) will mean a little more playing time for.''

On a related note, Quinn Pitcock practiced for the first time Monday. (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Agnv0zZgVjE4QsapnGl.MnOI2bYF?slug=ap-colts-mcfarland&prov=ap&type=lgns)