PDA

View Full Version : Mock Draft Thread

reigle9
08-06-2007, 02:33 PM
There you go doingthisinsteadofwork.

I'm a Cowboy fan but I would love to see Puz and Connor reunited. I don't know if I could handle it.

I'm still holding out for the Boys to get the #1 pick and select McFadden, it would be so perfect.

soybean
08-06-2007, 02:34 PM
terrell thomas first cb taken... i likey.

Paul
08-06-2007, 02:45 PM
I'll say again a mock that has the Boys taking Phillips and Stewart will get no complaints from me for now. We have to see how everything unfolds, but I still like.

doingthisinsteadofwork
08-06-2007, 02:52 PM
McFadden looks good but Id hate to see us picking first again.

Scott Wright
08-06-2007, 02:59 PM

Don't get too hung up on the draft order.

As I mentioned in another thread the order was compiled by averaging out a number of power rankings (PFW, Peter King, etc.)

With these realy early mocks my main goal is to get the first round caliber players in the right general area, even if the team need isn't an exact fit.

ncst8fan83
08-06-2007, 03:06 PM

they'll be there until they address the trenches. they need to start drafting football players and worry about their athletic feats 2nd. 40 times aren't everything.

I don't like the Chargers taking a CB in the first. They need to address NT and possibly RB. McCree isn't getting any younger either so maybe a FS/SS depending on where Weddle settles out. Also, OG is getting a bit old. They will probably address Goff's spot or move Olivea inside and draft a RT.

My Top 5:
1. Frank Okam
2. Red Bryant
3. Andre Brown
4. Mike Jenkins(cb/fs)
5. Shannon Tevaga

I also don't think there's a snow balls chance in hell Doucet runs a 4.5. What ever happened to Xavier Carter, btw?

Go_Eagles77
08-06-2007, 03:09 PM
Like you predicted Scott I'm not a fan of the eagles pick, I'd much rather someone like Rivers or Brinkley, who could be the future replacements for Spikes and Trotter respectively (unless Omar Gaither proves something this season).

With the possibility of William James entering FA we might be in a strong need for a nickel CB and with Cason there that could be a good choice.

Also LJ Smith is entering his contract year as well so TE might be a very good possibility as well. Someone like Fred Davis.

Mr. Stiller
08-06-2007, 03:11 PM
We're not going to a 4-3.

Tomlin has stated time and time again he's sticking with the 3-4.

Though we could use Tommy Blake, as he'll be our WOLB/4-3 RDE.

Timmons is supposed to be shifting to RILB.. Foote to LILB and Woodley is our future at LOLB.

HerthaFootballFan
08-06-2007, 03:13 PM
I'd rather see us working on our defense as I think Droughns will be the primary backup and Bradshaw has had a great showing so far this offseason so i think we should atleast wait until we've given him a chance to fail. In the mean time I think we should look at the D, I could see us taking an UT, a CB, a FS or even a stud WLB who would move Wilkinson back inside to back up AP.

ATLDirtyBirds
08-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Amazing Falcons pick.

doingthisinsteadofwork
08-06-2007, 03:31 PM
they'll be there until they address the trenches. they need to start drafting football players and worry about their athletic feats 2nd. 40 times aren't everything.Uhh lets see we signed Carlisle and Newberry.And we drafted Henderson.Not to mention we brought in Cable as our Oline coach.

scottyboy
08-06-2007, 03:34 PM
eww slaton to the Giants. ewww- to understand why i hate this pic, look into my sig...

rainbeaukid2
08-06-2007, 04:01 PM
i don't really like the early doucet to the niners pick. i believe that there is a much bigger need at FS where we have mark roman starting than at WR where we have two consistent WRs in darrell jackson and arnaz battle starting. then, we have rookie jason hill who has the physical tools to succeed, 2nd year player brandon williams who hasn't been given the chance to play yet but holds the receiving record at wisconsin, marcus maxwell who tore up nfl europe and hasn't gotten a chance yet, etc.

whereas, with all of that, at FS we have mark roman is a vet but not that great, keith lewis is backing him up and the coaches want him to be able to be 100% to play special teams as he is great there. after that we have 2nd year player marcus hudson who could be playing corner or safety know, i am not really sure. then, this year's 6th round pick dashon goldson might not make the team

duckseason
08-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Despite having serious doubts that we will be looking for a safety, I think I would soil myself if our 1st round turned out like that. I do think there's a good chance we'll be looking for a RB, and getting Stewart at 22 would be tremendous. You're right though, it'd be hard to pass on Phillips and it's pretty tough at this point to accurately project what our biggest needs will be come selection time. But I do know that our coaching staff greatly values a veteran presence at the FS position, and many of us like our current youth at the position as well. But yeah, who knows.

princefielder28
08-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Very happy with the Packers' selection. After Harris and Woodson, who are no longer youngsters, they aren't really any backup corners that possess the ability to be an effective DB in the NFL.

The Dynasty
08-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Picking 3rd :(...I hope we do better than that but i wouldnt mind if we do get the thrid pick i would wanna take Brohm because Tarvaris controls the Vikings Destiny.

ncst8fan83
08-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Picking 3rd :(...I hope we do better than that but i wouldnt mind if we do get the thrid pick i would wanna take Brohm because Tarvaris controls the Vikings Destiny.

did you mean wouldn't? and if so, did you really say that with a straight face?

vikings11
08-06-2007, 06:04 PM
I like all of the draft except for the Vikings pick. We won't be picking that high(though since we won't make the playoffs, I wouldn't mind), and of course Tarvaris will be green this year. We have confidence in him, and he deserves more than one year.

Besides, I think I'd rather have Andre Woodson there over Brohm.

mqtirishfan
08-06-2007, 07:12 PM

As I mentioned in another thread the order was compiled by averaging out a number of power rankings (PFW, Peter King, etc.)

With these realy early mocks my main goal is to get the first round caliber players in the right general area, even if the team need isn't an exact fit.

Couldn't you just be a pal and switch New Orleans and Indy so I can sleep at night? ;)

keylime_5
08-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Why are Mike Jenkins, Rey Maualuga, and Vernon Gholston not included in the mock? I think those 3 are first round locks.

reigle9
08-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Despite having serious doubts that we will be looking for a safety, I think I would soil myself if our 1st round turned out like that. I do think there's a good chance we'll be looking for a RB, and getting Stewart at 22 would be tremendous. You're right though, it'd be hard to pass on Phillips and it's pretty tough at this point to accurately project what our biggest needs will be come selection time. But I do know that our coaching staff greatly values a veteran presence at the FS position, and many of us like our current youth at the position as well. But yeah, who knows.

Cowboy fan, in addition to a Duck fan? You probably would have as much trouble as me if the PSU LB's would get back together.

You are right though. There is no telling what our needs are going to be at the end of the season. I think it's about 60/40 that Julius has a huge season and we don't even need a RB. That said, with his contract and if we had the opportunity to draft McFadden, it's going to take about a 1300-15 season from Julius to pass on Mc.

BamaFalcon59
08-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Wow, there is some faith and bad luck for the Falcons. We would be lucky to win that many games next year, but unlucky in the long term considering what our record should be.

Decent pick. Not a huge fan. I like a lot of players more than Woodson but my guy in this scenario would be first-round no show Barry Richardson, who I think will be a stud. Then in round 2 I grab a QB like Henne (who I think is a great value in round 2), Ainge, Matt Ryan, Sam Keller, etc..Then we have a variety of needs to be addressed with the other 2nd round pick(DE, OLB, MLB, NT, nickle CB, SS, WR, RB, and maybe a few surprises...yeah, we have some needs).

JF4
08-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Love the Green Bay pick, they're secondary is probably going to be the biggest question mark at the end of the year. And they have a serious lack of depth at CB outside of Harris and Woodson who are both aging. A corner could come and ease his way into the system with those two in front of him.

draftguru151
08-06-2007, 11:14 PM
Why are Mike Jenkins, Rey Maualuga, and Vernon Gholston not included in the mock? I think those 3 are first round locks.

2 out of 3 of them are underclassmen. Not sure about Scott's reasoning of not having them not coming out, but that is why they aren't there. Jenkins is the only senior, and he is far from a first round lock.

GB12
08-06-2007, 11:17 PM
Kenny Phillips is in the mock...

PACKmanN
08-06-2007, 11:20 PM
I don't like the Thomas pick for the Packers. He a little high in the age factor and if we mange to get Martin Rucker in round 2 and instead of Thomas its King(Penn St.)or that Simeon Castille guy.

Caddy
08-07-2007, 12:17 AM
I could definitely see Dorsey be the picks if the Bucs were picking that high. Twas a shame Brohm was off the board.

kmartin575
08-07-2007, 12:24 AM
The only way the Chiefs finish with a top 10 pick is if LJ isn't with the team once the season starts. The Chiefs are close to a major rebuilding project? In case you haven't noticed, that has already happened.

For example, the only player left from the 2004 defense is Greg Wesley and he is probably going to be traded anyways. That is 11 new starters in 3 years and alot of other new backups. And we are on the verge of a major rebuilding project? We are already in one. The only positions that need a major youth infusion are the offensive line and cornerback. We have alot of youth at just about every other position.

JCutlery
08-07-2007, 01:50 AM
Love the Denver pick.

TACKLE
08-07-2007, 01:50 AM
I love where you have Michael Oher going but I don't think he'll come out early b/c of his inexperience. Anyway I'd love to see that guy go Top 10.

Crazy_Chris
08-07-2007, 02:37 AM
The only way the Chiefs finish with a top 10 pick is if LJ isn't with the team once the season starts. The Chiefs are close to a major rebuilding project? In case you haven't noticed, that has already happened.

For example, the only player left from the 2004 defense is Greg Wesley and he is probably going to be traded anyways. That is 11 new starters in 3 years and alot of other new backups. And we are on the verge of a major rebuilding project? We are already in one. The only positions that need a major youth infusion are the offensive line and cornerback. We have alot of youth at just about every other position.

Your are contradicting yourself if the cheifs are in a "major rebuilding project" as you said they were than that would usually translate to top 10 pick with or without LJ

Scott Wright
08-07-2007, 02:55 AM

Timmons is supposed to be shifting to RILB.. Foote to LILB and Woodley is our future at LOLB.

I'll take that bet.

Why would you hire Tomlin and not let him do what he specializes in, which is run the Tampa 2?

That's like hiring Stephen King to write a romance novel.

Scott Wright
08-07-2007, 02:57 AM

I just can't include every top underclassmen but you are right, those three are potential first rounders if they come out.

Basically what I try to do on the underclassmen front is include the guys who are rated highly and who I've also heard are at least strongly considering leaving early.

Smooth Criminal
08-07-2007, 09:01 AM
I really think the Steelers need another linebacker. We will be losing Clark Haggans and James Farrior after this year. So depending where Timmons plays in the 3-4 we will either need an ILB or a ROLB.

And yes they have said that the 3-4 is staying long term in Pittsburgh.

Smooth Criminal
08-07-2007, 09:03 AM
I'll take that bet.

Why would you hire Tomlin and not let him do what he specializes in, which is run the Tampa 2?

That's like hiring Stephen King to write a romance novel.

Cowher never ran the 3-4 before he came to the Steelers. HE was the D-coordinator of a 4-3 defense in KC.

Plus just look at interviews with Tomlin. He says he is running the show and leeting the coordiantors do their jobs. It's Lebeau's defense and as long as he is around, and he said this is not his last year, it will be the 3-4.

keylime_5
08-07-2007, 09:24 AM
2 out of 3 of them are underclassmen. Not sure about Scott's reasoning of not having them not coming out, but that is why they aren't there. Jenkins is the only senior, and he is far from a first round lock.

Already got the reply I wanted, but just for good measure, Jenkins is a junior too, but you can bet your bottom dollar he comes out.

draftguru151
08-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Already got the reply I wanted, but just for good measure, Jenkins is a junior too, but you can bet your bottom dollar he comes out.

When I first responded I wrote all 3, and for some reason when I read this thread again I read Mike Jenkins and changed it up.

Also, Steeler fans, one thing I don't get, if Tomlin isn't going to change it, then why even implement the 3-4/4-3 hybrid defense? One of the main reasons the Dolphins did that was to have a transition period, and now we'll be running a lot more 3-4 than 4-3. And I also keep seeing Steeler fans post how Tomlin has said the 3-4 is permanent but I haven't seen any proof of that.

TACKLE
08-07-2007, 10:34 AM
I think it would interesting if the Steelers implemented Cover 2 concepts in a 3-4. You can have your OLB as your pass rushers. The coverage aspect would't be that much different in a 3-4. Yes there'd be minor diffences but it would be innovated. Having Tomlin and LeBeau as your defensive minds coming together could really do something some damage to opposing Offenses.

Mr. Stiller
08-07-2007, 11:16 AM
When I first responded I wrote all 3, and for some reason when I read this thread again I read Mike Jenkins and changed it up.

Also, Steeler fans, one thing I don't get, if Tomlin isn't going to change it, then why even implement the 3-4/4-3 hybrid defense? One of the main reasons the Dolphins did that was to have a transition period, and now we'll be running a lot more 3-4 than 4-3. And I also keep seeing Steeler fans post how Tomlin has said the 3-4 is permanent but I haven't seen any proof of that.

I would post it but I don't want an infraction as it's from a pay-site.

Baltimore runs a 3-4/4-3 Hybrid... if you can do both, might as well do them just to keep the offense guessing.

We're not transitioning.

Mr. Stiller
08-07-2007, 11:17 AM
I think it would interesting if the Steelers implemented Cover 2 concepts in a 3-4. You can have your OLB as your pass rushers. The coverage aspect would't be that much different in a 3-4. Yes there'd be minor diffences but it would be innovated. Having Tomlin and LeBeau as your defensive minds coming together could really do something some damage to opposing Offenses.

I believe 35% of the time we were running a Cover 2.

Bearsfan123
08-07-2007, 12:35 PM
im not a fan of the Bears pick, mainly because if Grossman sucks hes not going to take us anywhere near a good record. So Barry Richardson or a S would be my pick in that slot.

princefielder28
08-07-2007, 12:38 PM
im not a fan of the Bears pick, mainly because if Grossman sucks hes not going to take us anywhere near a good record. So Barry Richardson or a S would be my pick in that slot.

he did last year

StaticGator
08-07-2007, 12:55 PM
As a Bucs fan I'd love Dorsey, but if they're picking in the top 5 you have to assume Garcia/Simms/McCown/Plummer/Gradkowski sucked and Gruden will be gone so a new coach may want to draft his quarterback of the future.

Bearsfan123
08-07-2007, 02:00 PM
he did last year

Last year was last year. We had an easier schedule, a surprise in Hester, and we started off the year on fire. Plus a ton of other surprises that made us a tough team to beat.

keylime_5
08-07-2007, 02:05 PM
If Pittsburgh isn't gonna go to a cover 2, then why did they draft Lawrence Timmons? I don't see him playing OLB in that defense long term, he's not a big DE/LB tweener which is what you want out of your 3-4 OLBS. He's a good blitzer, but at 6-1/234 he will not be a 3-4 OLB long. I don't think they'd have such a questionable 1st round pick if they weren't gonna switch eventually to Tomlin's cover 2.

keylime_5
08-07-2007, 02:07 PM

When Tomlin said they're sticking 3-4, I was under the impression that he meant that regarding the 2007 season. I thought for sure he plans on switching to a cover 2 in future years.

HoopsDemon12
08-07-2007, 02:48 PM
in the mock draft how can NE and IND be the 32nd and 31st picks? cause it says teh 49ers got the pick from the colts... two AFC teams cant play in the superbowl... or am i missing something here

Smooth Criminal
08-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Look at what he said. Don't pay attention to the order. He just made up his own order to fit the needs to where he felt the prospects deserved to go.

Go_Eagles77
08-07-2007, 04:16 PM
He didn't even make it up, its the average spot from a bunch of other mock-drafts. :)

Mr. Stiller
08-07-2007, 06:03 PM
If Pittsburgh isn't gonna go to a cover 2, then why did they draft Lawrence Timmons? I don't see him playing OLB in that defense long term, he's not a big DE/LB tweener which is what you want out of your 3-4 OLBS. He's a good blitzer, but at 6-1/234 he will not be a 3-4 OLB long. I don't think they'd have such a questionable 1st round pick if they weren't gonna switch eventually to Tomlin's cover 2.

Greg Lloyd? 6'1 224lbs

Timmons is supposed to be moving to RILB... As an inside LB.

Which is why we need a 3-4 OLB.

HoopsDemon12
08-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Look at what he said. Don't pay attention to the order. He just made up his own order to fit the needs to where he felt the prospects deserved to go.

oh i gotcha.. ya sorry i noticed it and then thought i would ask about it... i didnt read the rest of the thread.. my bad

Smokey Joe
08-07-2007, 10:59 PM
hey scott, if Grossman does preform well this season and is resigned, what do you see as the Bears biggest need in the draft? I personally think OT is the biggest need.

Grizzlegom
08-08-2007, 09:35 AM
There you go doingthisinsteadofwork.

I'm a Cowboy fan but I would love to see Puz and Connor reunited. I don't know if I could handle it.

I'm still holding out for the Boys to get the #1 pick and select McFadden, it would be so perfect.

as much as i would love to see my PSU guys re-united, i would hate to see another star PSU player go to a rival team of the dolphins...it pained me enough to have to buy a bills posluszny jersey, i would hate to have to buy another bills jersey...

princefielder28
08-08-2007, 10:43 AM
hey scott, if Grossman does preform well this season and is resigned, what do you see as the Bears biggest need in the draft? I personally think OT is the biggest need.

I'm not Scott but I would agree with that choice. Grossman can be their QB, Benson their RB, they have some young wideouts, and they have their young TE; all they need to do is start revamping their OL and they'll be a force for a long time.

diabsoule
08-08-2007, 01:03 PM
I liked the Saints pick but we will see where all the teams are picking soon enough.

Smokey Joe
08-09-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm not Scott but I would agree with that choice. Grossman can be their QB, Benson their RB, they have some young wideouts, and they have their young TE; all they need to do is start revamping their OL and they'll be a force for a long time.

You're not Scott??? :eek:

;) :D

PACKmanN
08-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Does any Packer fan like that Thomas pick? knowing TT he will reach for him.... But Scott you don't have to reach for us, give us King, CB, Penn St.

bearsfan_51
08-09-2007, 08:28 PM
I'm hoping that we won't have to draft a QB next season, but we probably will.

Javzz
08-10-2007, 04:11 PM
they'll be there until they address the trenches. they need to start drafting football players and worry about their athletic feats 2nd. 40 times aren't everything.

I don't like the Chargers taking a CB in the first. They need to address NT and possibly RB. McCree isn't getting any younger either so maybe a FS/SS depending on where Weddle settles out. Also, OG is getting a bit old. They will probably address Goff's spot or move Olivea inside and draft a RT.

My Top 5:
1. Frank Okam
2. Red Bryant
3. Andre Brown
4. Mike Jenkins(cb/fs)
5. Shannon Tevaga

I also don't think there's a snow balls chance in hell Doucet runs a 4.5. What ever happened to Xavier Carter, btw?

Xavier Carter went pro in track. By "not a snow balls chance in hell Early runs a 4.5", I'm assuming you think he runs lower?? Because Early runs a 4.5 easy..

NYGIANTSFAN_UK
08-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Giants WILL NOT go RB unless McFadden is there when we pick. The pick WILL be OLB or OT.

Turtlepower
08-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Giants WILL NOT go RB unless McFadden is there when we pick. The pick WILL be OLB or OT.

Amen Brother, Amen.

Bearsfan123
08-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Dont count out Safety as a possibility for the Bears. We have a good group of guys but lets face it Archuletta isn't that good, Brown always seems to get injured, and Danieal Manning hasnt lived up to his draft slot yet. We need a guy like Reggie Nelson to stick next to Brown. Id say he was the perfect fit.

Iamcanadian
08-15-2007, 05:04 AM

I don't believe him. He may not switch completely this coming season but Timmons is a 4-3 OLBer so why did the steelers draft him???? Actions speak louder than words for me and by his actions, I'd say a 4-3 is coming.

Mr. Stiller
08-15-2007, 10:10 AM
I don't believe him. He may not switch completely this coming season but Timmons is a 4-3 OLBer so why did the steelers draft him???? Actions speak louder than words for me and by his actions, I'd say a 4-3 is coming.

And Woodley? Woodley is a perfect 3-4 OLB.

And the long-term signing of Aaron Smith. What use does Smith really have in a 4-3? He wouldn't make a good UT next to Smith.

Timmons is a 4-3 OLB. He could play ILB or OLB. Donnie Edwards 6'2 225, he's a little undersized for the 3-4 and he did pretty well.

Timmons is 6'0 234. Greg Lloyd? 6'1 225lbs. I'm not saying he'll reach either of his levels, but Timmons could play 3-4 more than anyone is giving him credit for.

Do I think we'll see some 4-3? Yea... Not because we're transitioning, but because we have the talent to play either setup. Look at Baltimore.. Look how effective being able to switch up your front 7 on demand. Thats what I see us running..

And why are we keeping LeBeau around then? LeBeau is a 3-4 Zone Blitz mastermind, not a Tampa2 or Tomlin2 DC.

Mr. Stiller
08-15-2007, 10:41 AM
And Woodley? Woodley is a perfect 3-4 OLB.

And the long-term signing of Aaron Smith. What use does Smith really have in a 4-3? He wouldn't make a good UT next to Smith.

Timmons is a 4-3 OLB. He could play ILB or OLB. Donnie Edwards 6'2 225, he's a little undersized for the 3-4 and he did pretty well.

Timmons is 6'0 234. Greg Lloyd? 6'1 225lbs. I'm not saying he'll reach either of his levels, but Timmons could play 3-4 more than anyone is giving him credit for.

Do I think we'll see some 4-3? Yea... Not because we're transitioning, but because we have the talent to play either setup. Look at Baltimore.. Look how effective being able to switch up your front 7 on demand. Thats what I see us running..

And why are we keeping LeBeau around then? LeBeau is a 3-4 Zone Blitz mastermind, not a Tampa2 or Tomlin2 DC.

http://news.steelers.com/article/76011/

Kevin Colbert: Lawrence is an outside linebacker, but we think he has the versatility to play inside as well. He can play at the point, he can chase the ball, he can cover and he can sure rush the passer, so there isn't anything at the linebacker position that this kid hasn't done. While he is learning, we think he will be a very good special teams contributorů

There are some guys that can play without the great measurables and we have seen him do these things against offensive tackles. There are also other ways that you can use a guy like that, but I will let coach speak on that. But again, his versatility and the fact that he has played on the line, behind the, with his hand down, he has really done it all. I just think that there are so many things that we can do with this guy and we are happy to have him available for some packages.

Where does he fit into this defense right now?

Coach Tomlin: He is a right outside linebacker. He has MAC capabilities and we like what he has from the versatility standpoint, but initially, he will start out at the right outside linebacker.

Will he be a guy that plays at the point like Joey [Porter] was, or is he a projection for a future 4-3?

Coach Tomlin: We're a 3-4 team. He's a right outside linebacker.

At 234 [pounds]?

Coach Tomlin: Yes.

Crow
08-18-2007, 07:31 PM

This is the first time in a while that your initial Oakland pick has made me happy. I'd die of happiness if we went into next year with a McFadden/Bush RB tandem. That would be simply unreal.

Crow
08-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Must be nice to have that sort of inside info.

:rolleyes:

TimD
08-18-2007, 11:20 PM
With Carlson, Blake, and Long still left I just don't see the Jets taking Gosder Cherilus... I know Anthony Clement isn't a future anchor at RT, but I can't imagine 3 out of their last 4 first round picks being offensive linemen...

Smokey Joe
08-19-2007, 09:37 AM
Dont count out Safety as a possibility for the Bears. We have a good group of guys but lets face it Archuletta isn't that good, Brown always seems to get injured, and Danieal Manning hasnt lived up to his draft slot yet. We need a guy like Reggie Nelson to stick next to Brown. Id say he was the perfect fit.
The team isn't going to give up on Manning already, which would be stupid anyway. If Brown and Arch stay healthy, safety won't be a pick at all in the draft.