PDA

View Full Version : Ray Rice= 1st Rounder?

naruto613
08-07-2007, 02:55 PM
I was surprised not to see Ray Rice on Scott's Mock Draft. Not only is he an excellent RB, he's also a Dark Horse candidate for the Heisman. Yes I know that he is undersized, but not Garret Wolfe Undersized. What do you guys think? 1st Rounder?

TimD
08-07-2007, 03:14 PM
i think if he has a season like he did last year definite first rounder... although he is losing his lead blocker so that might hurt

keylime_5
08-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Well he's probably about 5'9.5/195 or so. Will probably run at 200-205 at his combine. Not very big for a feature back, and he's not of the Warrick Dunn/Reggie Bush mold to be considered an exception. I think he'll be a 2nd rounder or so, depending on how he performs of course.

Basileus777
08-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Well he's probably about 5'9.5/195 or so. Will probably run at 200-205 at his combine. Not very big for a feature back, and he's not of the Warrick Dunn/Reggie Bush mold to be considered an exception. I think he'll be a 2nd rounder or so, depending on how he performs of course.

Not to mention that Rice doesn't have great speed. I like Rice, but I don't think he is a first round pick.

schmiddog
08-07-2007, 03:32 PM
late second\early third would be my prediction

Jonny
08-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Rice is only 5'7, I've seen him in person. He runs a 4.6 (very good acceleration though). Look at this (http://www.scarletknights.com/vision/football/2006/pitt-a.html) video at 10 min and you'll see what I mean. Revis chases him down on what should be an easy TD.

Third round pick, but I do think he'll make a good pro. Great vision, and he's as strong as an ox. Wears down defenses for being such a little guy, and he gets stronger with more carries. Think Emmitt Smith or Joe Morris.

scottyboy
08-07-2007, 03:43 PM
HE WONT ENTER. i have a feeling I'll be saying this alot until the deadline...

Man_Of_Steel
08-07-2007, 04:54 PM
I think hes a late first rounder. I dont think come the end of round 1 that many teams will look at him and pass because of measurables after seeing players like Jones Drew and Norwood excel despite less than ideal size.

Smooth Criminal
08-07-2007, 05:13 PM
I don't think he will go as a first rounder. There are better prospects and he is clearly undersized without great speed.

ironman4579
08-07-2007, 05:22 PM
I think in terms of size and speed, he and Mike Hart are probably quite similiar, meaning both are undersized(listed as 5'9", 205 for Rice and 5'9" 196 for Hart), without great speed. Really, Mike Hart is one of my favorite Wolverines ever, but I really see him and Rice as 3rd rounders at best. Obviously not because of production though, as both are very productive players. Simply because their measurables are going to push them down boards. Both seems like guys with tremendous vision, and good burst through the hole. Good intangibles, unfortunately things that you can't measure, and nowadays, teams seem to like to see those measurables, at least a bit. You can use the Maurice Drew argument, but Drew also ran a very fast 40 if I remember correctly, which obviously helped him out a bit.

HoopsDemon12
08-07-2007, 05:28 PM
i think if he has a season like he did last year definite first rounder... although he is losing his lead blocker so that might hurt

umm losing brian leonard as a lead blocker wont hurt as much as you think... as someone taking pressure of him running the ball.. sure... but its not like he was a smash mouth lead blocker by any means

Philliez01
08-07-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm not sure what to say on Rice. As a RU fan, I love watching him play but I am unsure of his pro potential. Look:

He hits the hole hard and runs hard. But look at the measureables.

He's short, not particularly fast and while he runs like one, he's not a bruiser. He looks for contact, which all fans love, but it could be taxing on a guy of his frame later on in his career. I doubt he declares, but when he's draft eligible, he'll have quite a bit of tread on his body. He's got the intangibles, but not the measureables.

duckseason
08-07-2007, 05:36 PM
I was surprised not to see Ray Rice on Scott's Mock Draft. Not only is he an excellent RB, he's also a Dark Horse candidate for the Heisman. Yes I know that he is undersized, but not Garret Wolfe Undersized. What do you guys think? 1st Rounder?

Not sure what being a heisman candidate has to do with anything, but the thing is that there are just too many guys ahead of him as far as NFL potential goes. There would need to be an unprecedented push for RB's this year for him to be considered a 1st round talent, and I just don't see that happening, at all. Also, isn't he a junior? I expect to see him in a Rutgers uni next year.

PACKmanN
08-07-2007, 05:47 PM
teams will be thinking about MJD before they pass on him. It depends, he might goto the Pats to bring back the 2 back system.

Philliez01
08-07-2007, 05:53 PM
teams will be thinking about MJD before they pass on him. It depends, he might goto the Pats to bring back the 2 back system.

But he isn't much like MJD. MJD is built more like a bruising back and is about 15+ pounds heavier, has return man potential, is a better receiver and is faster.

amag
08-07-2007, 05:55 PM
I think hes a late first rounder. I dont think come the end of round 1 that many teams will look at him and pass because of measurables after seeing players like Jones Drew and Norwood excel despite less than ideal size.

Norwoods like six foot...

duckseason
08-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Yeah, the fact that a superior prospect such as Drew fell to the end of the 2nd round should tell you a little something about where NFL teams might have Rice ranked at this point.

HoopsDemon12
08-07-2007, 06:48 PM
i think mike hart will go before ray rice... and mike hart isnt gonna go in the first round... they are both gamers who get it done even with lacking elite measurables... of course i dont think he is on harts level yet... i want another good season

bigbluedefense
08-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Id LOVE him in Giant blue. Him and Jacobs can give us a formiddable 2 back system for years. Im not sure if I like him in the 1st, but if he's there in the 2nd, he better be in Giant blue.

HerthaFootballFan
08-07-2007, 07:40 PM
Id LOVE him in Giant blue. Him and Jacobs can give us a formiddable 2 back system for years. Im not sure if I like him in the 1st, but if he's there in the 2nd, he better be in Giant blue.

I'd like to see him show better vision in terms of not looking for contact and getting up field, like tiki did and Bradshaw did in college. I'm really into Bradshaw after getting some of his marshall tapes. But if Bradshaw doesn't show anything like he likely won't I'd be down for Ray rice if we can get either a stud corner or FS in the first, although I'd still like to see a stud UT before another RB as well.

bigbluedefense
08-07-2007, 07:43 PM
I'd like to see him show better vision in terms of not looking for contact and getting up field, like tiki did and Bradshaw did in college. I'm really into Bradshaw after getting some of his marshall tapes. But if Bradshaw doesn't show anything like he likely won't I'd be down for Ray rice if we can get either a stud corner or FS in the first, although I'd still like to see a stud UT before another RB as well.

The night is young my friend. We'll have all season to figure out what we need :)

I just love Ray Rice as a player. Undersized, not fast, but bluecollar, tough, and not affraid of contact. He makes Jersey proud :)

scottyboy
08-07-2007, 07:45 PM
ray rice is just sweet. plain and simple. but, I DONT WANT HIM TO LEAVE RU EARLY!!!!

HerthaFootballFan
08-07-2007, 07:47 PM
The night is young my friend. We'll have all season to figure out what we need :)

I just love Ray Rice as a player. Undersized, not fast, but bluecollar, tough, and not affraid of contact. He makes Jersey proud :)

Look I love his spirit, but the question is is that the smart decision, is it really best for a tough young runner to seek out contact when he's under 5'9" and only about 200 pounds? I definately could picture him coming into training camp and trying and just getting annihilated by a bigger, strong LB on his first play in the first scrimmage. I'd like to see him show that he can make great reads and cuts to get maximal yardage without throwing himself into a linebacker.

TimD
08-07-2007, 07:47 PM
i think mike hart will go before ray rice... and mike hart isnt gonna go in the first round... they are both gamers who get it done even with lacking elite measurables... of course i dont think he is on harts level yet... i want another good season

both will be quality backups or in a 2 back system...

HoopsDemon12
08-07-2007, 08:10 PM
both will be quality backups or in a 2 back system...

that is the most likely scenario... but personalyl i think mike hart would be able to surprise and being curtis martin esque and have a great career

bigbluedefense
08-07-2007, 08:12 PM
I think Ray Rice is more close to 205-210 right now. He looks bigger than he did last year.

Im keepin a close eye on him. Rutgers entire season basically lives and dies with him. He IS the team.

HerthaFootballFan
08-07-2007, 08:15 PM
I think Ray Rice is more close to 205-210 right now. He looks bigger than he did last year.

Im keepin a close eye on him. Rutgers entire season basically lives and dies with him. He IS the team.

If he really bulks up I'm more comfortable with how he runs but I still want him to show me that he is just as good of a runner when he doesn't go looking for contact, that, at least to me, would make him a much better pro prospect and a better fit as foil to Brandon Jacobs.

scottyboy
08-07-2007, 08:16 PM

ehhh could disagree with ya on that BBD. britt is a superstar in the making and our D is VERY good. granted we need him if we want to have a chance at the big east and BCS bowl but this is a solid Rutgers team

dont get me wrong, i dont want him to ever leave Rutgers, ever

Jonny
08-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Rice is probably going to declare, that's what the tea leaves read.

Kordell Young and Mase Robinson are pretty good though. Rutgers will be fine without him. I really think Foster is the best player on the team, followed by Britt and Zuttah.

scottyboy
08-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Rice is probably going to declare, that's what the tea leaves read.

Kordell Young and Mase Robinson are pretty good though. Rutgers will be fine without him. I really think Foster is the best player on the team, followed by Britt and Zuttah.

i actually doubt Ray will declare. and you're forgetting Greene on that list. he's above Britt right now.

also, Jeremy Ito is the shiznat as he will, along with FG's and PAT's, do kickoffs and possibly punting, thats why he's in my sig.

LionSmack
08-07-2007, 10:19 PM
As far as size and speed go, Rice and Hart are both roughly the same as Emmitt Smith. Guys that size can run in the NFL, even without elite speed, if they are great at running the ball.

If Hart and Rice both have seasons like last year, they could both easily be 20-32 area picks.

I can't believe you guys saying third round. If these guys stay healthy and maintain their elite production (because, you know, that's what it's about, gaining yardage, not running a 40 yard dash), I can't see either one going outside of round 2.

I remember a quote I saw from Emmitt early in his career, he said "Everyone wants a back that's 6'1", 6'2", and runs a 4.4 40. I don't have those things. But I can run with the football."

neko4
08-07-2007, 10:30 PM
I remember a quote I saw from Emmitt early in his career, he said "Everyone wants a back that's 6'1", 6'2", and runs a 4.4 40. I don't have those things. But I can run with the football."
6'2 is too tall for most RB's anyway

Jonny
08-07-2007, 10:49 PM
i actually doubt Ray will declare. and you're forgetting Greene on that list. he's above Britt right now.

also, Jeremy Ito is the shiznat as he will, along with FG's and PAT's, do kickoffs and possibly punting, thats why he's in my sig.

Ito's overrated, he misses a lot of easy kicks. Greene is a great hitter but he only has 4.6 speed, Schiano is great for covering up his limitations.

All the media reports suggest Ray's gone, and his family have hinted at it. Won't matter. Young and Robinson can get the job done.

OSUGiants17
08-08-2007, 08:36 AM
He is definetly a round 1 pick

ironman4579
08-08-2007, 05:20 PM
As far as size and speed go, Rice and Hart are both roughly the same as Emmitt Smith. Guys that size can run in the NFL, even without elite speed, if they are great at running the ball.

If Hart and Rice both have seasons like last year, they could both easily be 20-32 area picks.

I can't believe you guys saying third round. If these guys stay healthy and maintain their elite production (because, you know, that's what it's about, gaining yardage, not running a 40 yard dash), I can't see either one going outside of round 2.

I'm probably the biggest Mike Hart booster there is, and a huge Michigan homer(as some may remember from last drafts constant Leon Hall/David Harris/Alan Branch/Lamarr Woodley boosting). I would love to see both him and Rice go in the first round. I love the way they play. I agree that they compare favorably to Emmitt Smith.

However, I'm trying to be realistic here. Emmitt's draft day was a different time. IMO scout's were more willing to overlook a players lack of "ideal measurables" if he had the production and showed the skills. I think the scouts and GM's have moved farther and farther away from that recently.

Since{and including) 1996, there have been a total of 60 RB's drafted in the first 2 rounds. Only 8 of those have been 5'9" or under. And only 3 of those have come in the last 5 years. All were sub 4.5 guys, and many were sub 4.4 guys. I expect Hart and Rice to be in the 4.5 or above range. Add all of that to the fact that this seems like a pretty deep draft overall, if some of the juniors declare, and I don't think it's a stretch at all to say they go in the 3rd. In fact, as much as I hate to say it, because I love them both, and think their production warrants first or second round picks, I think their "measurables"(I hate that word, which is why I always put quotations around it) could leave them anywhere from the 3rd round to undrafted.

As I said, I love both of these guys. I think they could both be very productive starters in the NFL if given the chance and the right situation. I love the vision, the toughness, everything. However, looking at their measurables, and seeing how other players with great production but less than ideal "measurables" have fallen, and a potentially deep draft, I don't think it's unreasonable at all to suggest the 3rd round as a potential draft slot for them.

Jonny
08-08-2007, 10:50 PM
Small note: The Jets and Redskins visited Rutgers practice today.

neko4
08-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Small note: The Jets and Redskins visited Rutgers practice today.

I doubt either team would target Rice
Another note on height:
7 of the top 10 leading rushers last year were 5'10 or shorter

dcarey20
08-08-2007, 11:22 PM
HE WONT ENTER. i have a feeling I'll be saying this alot until the deadline...

How can you say that right now? I can't really say one way or another at this point, but if I had to guess, I'd say he's coming out, especially if he has another season like 2006.

Jonny
08-09-2007, 11:33 PM
Terry Bradway, who's now a special assistant to the Jets, visited RU camp today again. He was seen in the stands taking notes.

Jets personnel consultant Terry Bradway and scouts from the Steelers, 49ers, Redskins and Jaguars were here Thursday.

kwilk103
08-10-2007, 12:13 AM
so, where would rice rank?

behind mcfadden, slaton, stewart--no particular order; although mcfadden is #1, then slaton/stewart depending on you who like

then where would he rank among: jones, hart, davis