PDA

View Full Version : DG's Preseason mock draft (8/7)

draftguru151
08-07-2007, 10:12 PM
I was bored, used Scott's order. Turned out like crap, but oh well. Only reasoning for some underclassmen being in and some not is the position.

1. Oakland Raiders- Darren McFadden RB Arkansas
2. Houston Texans- Sam Baker OT USC
3. Minnesota Vikings- Andre Woodson QB Kentucky
4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Brian Brohm QB Louisville
5. Dallas Cowboys (f/CLE)- Jake Long OT Michigan
6. Washington Redskins- Glenn Dorsey DT LSU
7. Miami Dolphins- Kenny Phillips S Miami
8. Detroit Lions- Calais Campbell DE Miami
9. Buffalo Bills- Keith Rivers LB USC
10. Kansas City Chiefs- Justin King CB Penn State
11. Arizona Cardinals- Dan Connor LB Penn State
12. Tennessee Titans- Mario Manningham WR Michigan
13. Atlanta Falcons- Frank Okam DT Texas
14. New York Giants- Jonathan Stewart RB Oregon
15. Green Bay Packers- DeSean Jackson WR Cal
16. New England Patriots (f/SF)- Antoine Cason CB Arizona
17. St. Louis Rams- Chris Long DE Virginia
18. Jacksonville Jaguars- Tommy Blake DE TCU
19. Carolina Panthers- John Carlson TE Notre Dame
20. New York Jets- Quentin Groves DE/OLB Auburn
21. Pittsburgh Steelers- Gosder Cherilus OT Boston College
22. Dallas Cowboys- Aqib Talib CB Kansas
23. Seattle Seahawks- Steve Slaton RB West Virginia
24. Cincinnati Bengals- Sedrick Ellis USC
25. Philadelphia Eagles- Jasper Brinkley MLB South Carolina
26. Baltimore Ravens- Colt Brennan QB Hawaii
27. Denver Broncos- Tony Hills Jr OT Texas
28. Chicago Bears- Xavier Adibi LB Virginia Tech
29. New Orleans Saints- DeMario Pressley DT NC State
30. San Diego Chargers- Jonathan Goff MLB Vanderbilt
31. San Francisco 49ers (f/ IND)- Kendall Langford DE Hampton
32. New England Patriots- Barry Richardson OT Clemson

neko4
08-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Not in love w/ the pack pick

PalmerToCJ
08-07-2007, 10:33 PM
We do need a 3-tech but Marvin has never been one to get into taking DT's early, right or wrong that just seems to be the case. Not to say it won't happen as we need a 3-tech all our current ones are old and average at best but I think he might wait till round 2 or 3.

I think it's most likely we go DE (although Frostee Rucker could produce and Pollack may come back to play DE, either way Justin Smith probably won't be back), OLB (WLB and SLB could be up for grabs, Jeanty seems solid at this point at SLB but we'll have 2 FA's at WLB) or FS (Madieu Williams will be a FA next offseason).

doingthisinsteadofwork
08-07-2007, 10:35 PM
same pick as Scott.:rollseyes:
jk.

draftguru151
08-07-2007, 10:37 PM
I thought about DE for you guys but didn't like the value of the guys there, and thought Ellis was good value at a position of need. I think Ellis would be hard to pass up there, him and Peko inside would really help the run defense.

HerthaFootballFan
08-07-2007, 10:38 PM
I don't think the giants will draft a running back round one, if only because our defense still has many holes, namely CB, FS and UT. SO if you dropped Okam down one spot or gave us Cason i'd be happier.

draftguru151
08-07-2007, 10:38 PM
same pick as Scott.:rollseyes:
jk.

I'm just glad I don't have to listen to Crow complain about how you guys don't take QBs.

adschofield
08-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Justin King over Cason and Talib? What's your reasoning?

draftguru151
08-07-2007, 10:44 PM
Justin King over Cason and Talib? What's your reasoning?

Personal rankings, I think King's potential and speed as well as what he's done on the field will make him a very high pick when he comes out.

PalmerToCJ
08-07-2007, 10:45 PM
I thought about DE for you guys but didn't like the value of the guys there, and thought Ellis was good value at a position of need. I think Ellis would be hard to pass up there, him and Peko inside would really help the run defense.

Yeah at this point I honestly am not familiar with many of the players so I just go off position. No doubt that UT is a big need for us next year, we need another player with Peko and we could finally have a pretty solid front four. I'd be happy with it.

Go_Eagles77
08-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Good eagles pick. He could be a great replacement for Trotter.

Mr. Stiller
08-08-2007, 12:07 PM
DG151,

I think thats a pretty good draft. My Personal opinion is that they'd go 3-4 OLB or 3-4 LILB. But if Capizzi doesn't show anything or they just want a top notch RT, Gosder would be the perfect way to go.

Well done!

Turtlepower
08-08-2007, 12:12 PM
After this season is over, people are going to see that an OT is the Giants #1 priority. I'm not as high on Stewart as others are, but I think there is quality RB depth in this draft that will allow us to get one in the second or third round.

Xiomera
08-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Nice Lions pick.

Burdmanindaclub
08-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Don't like the Panthers pick, I'd def could see them drafting a Safety or OL in this years draft.

Green Bay Scat
08-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Weres EB? im guessing he staying for his Sr. Year, but u gotta tell me. Goff would be a HOF if he was to play for SD

keylime_5
08-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Love the Cleveland pick...Oh wait, nevermind

Slaton to Seattle, hmmm, interesting. I say he falls to the early second and joins Brady Quinn in the land of cleve.

RonnieRun23
08-08-2007, 07:59 PM
Kenny Phillips <3

Caddy
08-09-2007, 08:18 AM
Good Buc pick. If there is any QB who would look good in Pewter and Red it would be Brian Brohm. Hopefully he would be able to sit for half a year to a full season behind Jeff Garcia and then take over Palmer style.

Finsfan79
08-09-2007, 08:29 AM
love phillips but gotta be a way to use Campbell in the 3-4 hybrid we run. Guy is an absolute monster :(

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Don't know much about the player, but I do like the position that the Denver pick has us getting. Although our draft position is way off. We're picking 32nd!

LSUALUM99
08-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Hate the order (but you did use Scott's so whatever), but other than that, top notch Dallas Cowboy picks.

BuckNaked
08-09-2007, 02:08 PM
ANDRE WOODSON! sweet

Addict
08-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Calais... nice dg, thanks.

Man_Of_Steel
08-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Woodson ahead of Brohm and Baker ahead of Long, nah.
18 and 20 for Blake and Groves seems abit low to me.

KILLERSANTA
08-09-2007, 03:35 PM
I say this every year!!!! Jerry Jones doesn't draft OL in the first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yo123
08-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Im liking the Vikings pick

princefielder28
08-09-2007, 05:44 PM
With Jennings and Jones as the youngsters and Driver in Green Bay through 2010, I doubt the Packers use a 1st rounder on a WR. We really need to find a future CB.

wiscbadgerfootball
08-09-2007, 09:10 PM
With Jennings and Jones as the youngsters and Driver in Green Bay through 2010, I doubt the Packers use a 1st rounder on a WR. We really need to find a future CB.

agreed.. I wouldn't be mad to get a player of Desean Jackson's caliber though

Geo
08-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Nice job, DG. My thoughts:

3. Minnesota Vikings- Andre Woodson QB Kentucky
If the Vikings have the third pick in the draft, then head coach Brad Childress is in full red-alert of having a make or break year in 2008. Drafting another quarterback prospect is thus not the way to go for him. My guess: Glenn Dorsey, seeing as how defense has to carry the team and stellar NT Pat Williams will be an UFA after 08.

And I wouldn't rule out trading the second round pick for Donovan McNabb, depending on how far the Eagles go in the postseason.

9. Buffalo Bills- Keith Rivers LB USC
Hmm, not too crazy about this pick. Angelo Crowell is one of the league's best young LBs, and Paul Poz should be servicable at least. Plus the 08 class is so deep at LB ... I'd definitely go elsewhere. Wouldn't be surprised if Frank Okam was the pick, should Buffalo struggle in run defense another year in a row (Ralph Wilson wasn't too pleased, and he's writing the checks). Okam/Kyle Williams at NT and John McCargo/Larry Tripplett at 3 tech imo.

11. Arizona Cardinals- Dan Connor LB Penn State
Not a bad pick, I just think the Cardinals might be seeking a pass-rushing OLB stud (ala Demarcus Ware, Kamerion Wimbley) in their efforts to build a playoff-caliber defense. Bertrand Berry and Chike Okeafor, I just don't know. We'll see if a prospect can play well enough and test well enough to get ranked this high, like the aforementioned Ware and Wimbley (maybe Tommy Blake, I think he's a stud on that great TCU defense).

14. New York Giants- Jonathan Stewart RB Oregon
Stewart will have to be a considerably better player for me to rank him as the second-best back on the board or a Top 15 pick. Right now, his game doesn't match his measurables (but we're not talking about Chris Henry here).

Incidentally, Steve Slaton is my #2 RB. But I've liked him a great deal, and haven't figured out the dislike for him on NFLDC.

Bearsfan123
08-10-2007, 01:02 AM
no lber for the Bears, we have plenty of them i promise.

yo123
08-10-2007, 01:12 AM

If the Vikings have the third pick in the draft, then head coach Brad Childress is in full red-alert of having a make or break year in 2009. Drafting another quarterback prospect is thus not the way to go for him. My guess: Glenn Dorsey, seeing as how defense has to carry the team and stellar NT Pat Williams will be an UFA after 08.

And I wouldn't rule out trading the second round pick for Donovan McNabb, depending on how far the Eagles go in the postseason.

Hmm, not too crazy about this pick. Angelo Crowell is one of the league's best young LBs, and Paul Poz should be servicable at least. Plus the 08 class is so deep at LB ... I'd definitely go elsewhere. Wouldn't be surprised if Frank Okam was the pick, should Buffalo struggle in run defense another year in a row (Ralph Wilson wasn't too pleased, and he's writing the checks). Okam/Kyle Williams at NT and John McCargo/Larry Tripplett at 3 tech imo.

Not a bad pick, I just think the Cardinals might be seeking a pass-rushing OLB stud (ala Demarcus Ware, Kamerion Wimbley) in their efforts to build a playoff-caliber defense. Bertrand Berry and Chike Okeafor, I just don't know. We'll see if a prospect can play well enough and test well enough to get ranked this high, like the aforementioned Ware and Wimbley (maybe Tommy Blake, I think he's a stud on that great TCU defense).

Stewart will have to be a considerably better player for me to rank him as the second-best back on the board or a Top 15 pick. Right now, his game doesn't match his measurables (but we're not talking about Chris Henry here).

Incidentally, Steve Slaton is my #2 RB. But I've liked him a great deal, and haven't figured out the dislike for him on NFLDC.

If we get McNabb for a second round pick, I will piss myself on the spot. And if Tavaris Jackson doesnt show any promise this year, theres no way we pass up Woodson and Brohm, and if we did I would go with Jake Long.

bearsfan_51
08-10-2007, 03:12 PM
I have a hard time believing that we'd go linebacker after drafting Okwo and Williams in the last two drafts. Not that either guy is special, but it's clear they are looking for a cheap alternative to put next to Urlacher.

Vikes99ej
08-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Wow! Like I didn't see that Dolphins' pick coming :)

draftguru151
08-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Wow! Like I didn't see that Dolphins' pick coming :)

Eh, it was either Phillips or Long, and even though I think Phillips could play FS very well, he's been more of a SS so far. He's actually being moved into more of a FS roll (Miami doesn't have a SS or FS) and will be in centerfield more, and depending on how he does in the roll I can see him going to Dallas, but until then I think Long is too talented for Dallas to pass up there. I like Free and maybe McQuistan can develop but Adams isn't going to last much longer and bringing in an elite talent like Long would be hard to pass up. And of course Miami isn't going to pass up an elite DB like Phillips. :D

draftguru151
08-10-2007, 11:53 PM

If the Vikings have the third pick in the draft, then head coach Brad Childress is in full red-alert of having a make or break year in 2008. Drafting another quarterback prospect is thus not the way to go for him. My guess: Glenn Dorsey, seeing as how defense has to carry the team and stellar NT Pat Williams will be an UFA after 08.

I can't see Minnesota passing on a QB even if Childress' job is jeopardy. I actually don't see them picking that high, and have some faith in Jackson, but if they're picking at 3 that means Jackson did awful and an elite QB needs to be brought in.

Crowell and Poz are a nice combo but I can see them adding an elite LB like Rivers. The draft is as much of an area projection for the players as it is teams and positions. Okam definitely seems like a possibility there because of position, but I actually don't even like having him as high as I do, so putting him in the top 10 would conflict with the above a bit (even if it is only a 4 spot difference).

Blake and Groves definitely got consideration there, but I don't see them that high yet. I think both can definitely get there (Blake's athleticism is definitely top 12 worthy) but I don't see it yet. I really like Connor in a 3-4 because of his playmaking and blitzing ability. Depending on how Hayes does this year I could see them not worrying about ILB (Blake, Davis, Hayes, Dansby sounds pretty scary) but again with the projection things, Connor fits there better than Blake.

While Slaton hasn't put up eye popping numbers he has done pretty well considering the carries he's gotten along with the injuries. I'm a big fan of Slaton but Stewart's potential is amazing.

Vikes99ej
08-11-2007, 12:10 AM
If we get the #3 pick in the draft, we will have a new coach chosing players.

mqtirishfan
08-11-2007, 12:36 AM
:( I hate this order. Hate it, hate it, hate it. As I said in Scott's thread, the Colts and Pats can't have the last two picks. I know that the idea of early mocks are to show the best teams and best prospects, but urgh!!! I do love the Packers picking a guy like DeSean Jackson, though. Even though it's not a huge need position, IMO, he seems like a great value in the middle of the first.

BuckNaked
08-11-2007, 12:39 AM
If we get the #3 pick in the draft, we will have a new coach chosing players.

We will steal Mike Tomlin from Pittsburgh and he will coach where he damn well belongs.

Mr. Stiller
08-11-2007, 03:03 AM
We will steal Mike Tomlin from Pittsburgh and he will coach where he damn well belongs.

Wrong Mikey loves it here.