PDA

View Full Version : Legit 3-4 NT Prospects?

bigbluedefense
08-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Is there any coming out this year? I don't know much about the prospects yet, I usually wait for Scotts lists to come out, then I track players who catch my eye during the season.

From a purely physical standpoint, Im guessing Okam, Bryant, and Raji, but is there anyone else, or are any of these not capable of playing the position?

Can any of them be dominant at the position?

PACKmanN
08-08-2007, 07:05 PM
If Sedrick Ellis adds on 15 more pounds then he could be the best. IMO I still think he the better NT but if he does add on the 15 pounds then there nothing stopping him.

keylime_5
08-08-2007, 07:11 PM
BJ Raji-NT/Boston College. 6-1/340. Could go anywhere from rounds 2 to 5. Frank Okam from Texas can be a NT, but he has underachieved.

bigbluedefense
08-08-2007, 07:12 PM
If Sedrick Ellis adds on 15 more pounds then he could be the best. IMO I still think he the better NT but if he does add on the 15 pounds then there nothing stopping him.

Ellis is being pegged as a Tampa 2 UT. Usually guys with that penetrating mentality don't hack it as NTs.

fenikz
08-08-2007, 07:16 PM
B.J. Raji, Boston College, 6'1 340
Red Bryant, Texas Tech, 6'5 325
Antonio Dixon, Miami, 6'3 331
Frank Okam, Texas, 6'4 315
Fili Moala, USC, 6'4 310

scottyboy
08-08-2007, 07:18 PM
well he's not a NT, but Eric Foster of Rutgers would make a great 3-4 DE. he's fast and undersized at RU for a DT, but his high motor and speed makes him an all american there

draftguru151
08-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Ellis is being pegged as a Tampa 2 UT. Usually guys with that penetrating mentality don't hack it as NTs.

Ellis played nose last year at USC in their 3-4, but he is definitely more of a penetrator type.

Raji is definitely a legit NT, Red Bryant might be able to, not really buying Okam.

Mr. Stiller
08-08-2007, 10:47 PM
Is there any coming out this year? I don't know much about the prospects yet, I usually wait for Scotts lists to come out, then I track players who catch my eye during the season.

From a purely physical standpoint, Im guessing Okam, Bryant, and Raji, but is there anyone else, or are any of these not capable of playing the position?

Can any of them be dominant at the position?

Hey BBD.

My Favorite is Jason Shirley of Fresno State.

thule
08-08-2007, 11:47 PM
Fili Moala is my sleeper pick at this point. He really could shine if he puts together a good year on a talented DL. He has experience at the nose after replacing ellis last year when he was injured. He has the frame to get bigger...and great power off the line. If he does decide to come out early..and puts together the workouts he is capable of he has an outside shot at this point of the first round. But he is the only one who has the slightest ability to be a top 20 pick come draft day at this point in the season.

moc182
08-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Terrance Taylor is pretty much perfect. Low center of gravity and strong as an ox.

Geomar
08-09-2007, 11:36 PM
im sorry but barely any 1 knows about this guy he is antonio dixon from Miami he will make every ones heads spin clean off if u have evr seen him play u know what i mean. he will be the big surprise in this years draft if he does declare. 6'3 331 pounds and he dropped 4 pounds from a season ago.

draftguru151
08-09-2007, 11:49 PM
And he's also not starting right now.

Sniper
08-09-2007, 11:53 PM
im sorry but barely any 1 knows about this guy he is antonio dixon from Miami he will make every ones heads spin clean off if u have evr seen him play u know what i mean. he will be the big surprise in this years draft if he does declare. 6'3 331 pounds and he dropped 4 pounds from a season ago.

4 whole pounds? Went hard on the sprints this off-season huh?

gator3guy
08-12-2007, 10:23 PM
4 whole pounds? Went hard on the sprints this off-season huh?

I was thinking the same damn thing :D

Vikes99ej
08-12-2007, 11:38 PM
http://www.mikedesimone.com/m06/vanderbilt/aa28.jpg

http://www.mikedesimone.com/m06/vanderbilt/dn15.jpg

HoopsDemon12
08-12-2007, 11:45 PM
http://www.mikedesimone.com/m06/vanderbilt/aa28.jpg

http://www.mikedesimone.com/m06/vanderbilt/dn15.jpg

is there a nose tackle prospect form michigan every year?

Vikes99ej
08-12-2007, 11:50 PM
is there a nose tackle prospect form michigan every year?

I wouldn't really call Alan Branch a NT. Michigan ran a 3-4 at times last year, with Branch playing DE and Taylor playing NT.

HoopsDemon12
08-13-2007, 12:13 AM
I wouldn't really call Alan Branch a NT. Michigan ran a 3-4 at times last year, with Branch playing DE and Taylor playing NT.

well they seem to havea defensive tackle prospect everyyear any way.. this one have work etheic problems aswell?

Mr. Stiller
08-13-2007, 12:29 AM
Guys for 3-4 NT in my mind (No particular order):

2008 Draft:

Seniors:
Sedrick Ellis, USC
BJ Raji, Boston College
Jason Shirley, Fresno State
Frank Morton, Tulane
Kory Robertson, Virginia Tech
Nate Robinson, Akron
Viliami Akoteu, Idaho State
David Faaeteete, Oregon
Matt Malele, California
Ahtyba Rubin, Iowa State
Yaniv Barnett, Arizona
Walter Boyd, Tulsa
William Knepper, St. Francis(IN)
Corey Clark, Jackson State

Juniors
Fili Maola, USC
Terrance Taylor, Michigan
Antonio Dixon, Miami
Ron Brace, Boston College
Jessie Bowman, Mississippi State
Terrel Nemons, Tulsa
Vincent Rhodes, Baylor
Keala Watson, Hawaii
Ra'shon Harris, Oregon
William Morrisey, Texas A&M

Iamcanadian
08-13-2007, 06:50 AM
Fili Moala, USC, 6'4 310

This is a very good list and maybe you add Taylor of Michigan at the end.

keylime_5
08-13-2007, 08:00 AM
I seriously doubt Moala or Ellis from USC can play NT in a 3-4 in the NFL. That is really unlikely.

goblue8888
08-13-2007, 08:29 AM
well they seem to havea defensive tackle prospect everyyear any way.. this one have work etheic problems aswell?

Well his conditioning last year wasn't where the coaches would have liked it to be. Kid is strong as a ox though. Last year he was benching 535 and bet that has increased some. Kid is built like a fire hydrant thogh at 6ft 305.

P-L
08-13-2007, 10:32 AM
None that I've ever heard of. I've been following hi since HS and he is a freaking beast. I said last year, and I still believe he'll be better than both Branch and Watson.

gator3guy
08-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Well his conditioning last year wasn't where the coaches would have liked it to be. Kid is strong as a ox though. Last year he was benching 535 and bet that has increased some. Kid is built like a fire hydrant thogh at 6ft 305.

I remember reading about his lifting numbers last year and he had a pretty good season. Mel Kiper has him as his number 1 DT for the JR class. But we should see how he does without Branch, Woodley, and Biggs. Other than being 'wordly' strong he was not the main focus of that defensive line next year. But i agree the kid looks like a future top 3-4 NT prospect and he has a couple years (if he stays) to add weight to his frame.

Sniper
08-13-2007, 10:47 AM

No by all accounts he works his ass off. Not a Watson/Branch, but I still think Branch got a bad rep that was undeserved. I remember Kiper saying Okoye was the better prospect because he had 30 more tackles. Well, I'm assuming I'm not the only one who saw him get doubled and tripled every play freeing up Woodley, Harris and Co.

Back to the subject, Taylor can play either in a 3-4 or 4-3. He's quick, stout, built low to the ground. I'm expecting big things from him and hopefully the d-line can get enough pressure to help out the Pop Warner secondary.

Michigan
08-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Terrence Taylor is pretty much a perfect NT for the 3-4. Incredible strength and leverage.

Jonny
08-13-2007, 11:04 AM
well he's not a NT, but Eric Foster of Rutgers would make a great 3-4 DE. he's fast and undersized at RU for a DT, but his high motor and speed makes him an all american there

That'd be a disaster. Remember Warren Sapp a few years ago in Oakland (not comparing Foster to Sapp here). You can't throw a three-technique tackle in there automatically. Foster is not a space eater. He's a pass rusher, and it's a coin flip whether he plays DT or DE in the NFL.

goblue8888
08-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Another positive about Taylor is that he was an amazing high school wrestler.

D-Unit
08-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Michigan NTs are typically lazy and labeled with a bad motor. I won't be surprised to see Taylor having those same criticisms.

I think Raji will be a very good NT on the next level and is probably my favorite heading into the season.

keylime_5
08-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Taylor seems like a great fit at NFL NT. He's only listed at 310, but from the looks of him he is plenty big and strong enough to play NT in the NFL. Plus he basically does the NT's job in Michigan But he will probably be in the 2009 draft more likely than not.

goblue8888
08-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Taylor seems like a great fit at NFL NT. He's only listed at 310, but from the looks of him he is plenty big and strong enough to play NT in the NFL. Plus he basically does the NT's job in Michigan But he will probably be in the 2009 draft more likely than not.

Yeah i bet he stays in school like most michigan kids do.

energizerbunny
08-13-2007, 11:11 PM
Terrence Taylor, IMO is the best nose tackle prospect to come around since Casey Hampton

energizerbunny
08-13-2007, 11:16 PM
Another positive about Taylor is that he was an amazing high school wrestler.

I also believe he was the power lifting champion for his age in michigan.

SuperKevin
08-14-2007, 12:04 AM
What about Keilien Dykes? He actually plays NT in a 3-4 defense already so he should have an advantage.

Mr. Stiller
08-14-2007, 12:08 AM
What about Keilien Dykes? He actually plays NT in a 3-4 defense already so he should have an advantage.

Isn't he in a 3-3-5?

Nothing against him, but I think he'd be better as a 3-4 DE.

Hi! O-HI-O for Cleveland
08-14-2007, 02:10 AM
So no one is going to mention the 2 best in this years draft?

1. Dre Moore NT Maryland 6'3 315 = Jamal Williams
2. Marcus Harrison NT Arkansas 6'3 315(part of the reason for Anderson's great season)

Sleepers:

Henry Smith NT Texas A&M
Yaniv Barnett NT Arizona
Ray Manumaleuna NT New Mexico State
David Faaeteete NT Oregon
Matt Malele NT California
Justin Bell NT Boston College
B.J. Raji NT Boston College

Addict
08-14-2007, 02:24 AM

2. Marcus Harrison NT Arkansas 6'3 315(part of the reason for Anderson's great season)

Sleepers:

Henry Smith NT Texas A&M
Yaniv Barnett NT Arizona
Ray Manumaleuna NT New Mexico State
David Faaeteete NT Oregon
Matt Malele NT California
Justin Bell NT Boston College
B.J. Raji NT Boston College

Maryland's DT, is he one of them typical Maryland freaks?

tEk
08-14-2007, 04:10 AM
Fili Moala, USC, 6'4 310I know him! hes a beast!

etk
08-22-2007, 12:27 AM

I think he's better suited to play 4-3 NT. He doesn't have the bulk or stoutness of a typical 3-4 NT, even though he's experienced at the position. 3-4 DE would work too. Thanks for pointing him out.

thebow305
08-22-2007, 10:59 AM
B.J. Raji is a beast and is the standout nose tackle prospect at this point, much could change in a year though. Look out for his teammate Ron Brace, who is a junior, but could surprise people who are only looking at Raji this season. Brace may be the more physically gifted of the two. Both are legit prospects though.

Crickett
08-25-2007, 03:09 AM

Jamal Williams is 6'3 348. Not quite the same as 6'3 315.

Hi! O-HI-O for Cleveland
08-25-2007, 08:26 AM
Jamal Williams is 6'3 348. Not quite the same as 6'3 315.

and Jamal Williams wasn't 348 as a senior in college :rolleyes: Watch Dre Moore play, they are both very athletic for their size, both play with great leverage, and they both eat up running lanes.

Jamal Williams 348 at 31 years old
Dre Moore 315 at 22 years old

umm I think he has a little time to add some pounds don't you???

draftguru151
08-25-2007, 09:10 AM
Moore is much better suited to be a DE in a 3-4 than a NT.

Staubach12
08-25-2007, 01:09 PM

Branch is playing NT for the Cards, if I'm told corectly.

Crickett
08-25-2007, 02:00 PM
and Jamal Williams wasn't 348 as a senior in college :rolleyes:

So, what exactly was Jamal Williams weight as a senior in college? If you can actually find that info, please post a link, I'd love to see it.

Watch Dre Moore play, they are both very athletic for their size, both play with great leverage, and they both eat up running lanes.

Sounds like a great 4-3 defensive tackle. But a 3-4 NT needs to occupy blockers to allow the linebackers to make plays.

etk
08-25-2007, 03:14 PM
So, what exactly was Jamal Williams weight as a senior in college? If you can actually find that info, please post a link, I'd love to see it.

I believe he was 305 entering the NFL draft. Usually players are listed with their official weight as the one they posted at the combine whether they gained or not. According to NFL.com he is 305 lbs so I assume that was his rookie weight. Pat Williams is 315 on NFL.com, Hollis Thomas is 306, etc.

myinnerself
08-26-2007, 05:07 PM
To be a 3-4 NT in the NFL you pretty much have to be 325 or above. You have to be just a beast who consistently can beat or at least hold ground against double teams. Huge space eaters who are just STRONG at the point of attack and have the quickness to shake of a block and make a tackle. Jamal Williams is your prototype, and as mentioned he's about 350, and as quick as they come for that size. 305 -315 just won't cut it, and I know these kids can add weight, but do you wanna have these kids put on 30 pounds and possibly lose quickness and the like. You'd like to draft a kid who is already that big and has proven they can carry that weight well.

Sniper
08-26-2007, 05:13 PM
Branch is playing NT for the Cards, if I'm told corectly.

IMO Branch will be a terrific player in the league. He doesn't get the love others did coming out because he had lesser numbers, but anyone who watched Michigan games knows that the reason the D was so dirty last year was because Branch ate up blockers, freeing up the backers. Is it a coincidence Woodley, Harris, Burgess etc.. all had career years when Branch was at his best? I don't think so.

Hi! O-HI-O for Cleveland
08-30-2007, 02:52 PM

Sounds like a great 4-3 defensive tackle. But a 3-4 NT needs to occupy blockers to allow the linebackers to make plays.

NT don't "just occupy blockers" that is such a lame explanition of a NT its ridiculous. There is a reason why Williams is a stand out NT. He is extremely athletic for a man pushing 350. Same goes for Hampton and Wilfork. They have the extra athletic ability that makes them great for the 34 instead of just another fat run stopper in the middle of a 43 defense.

I'm not getting into a 34 Dlineman debate with someone new on a new football forum. I'm always right, yet every year my blood pressure starts to boil over stupid little arguements with high school kids who think they know everything about how the NFL works.

Good day sir...and please IM during draft season, and let me know where Dre Moore stands as a prospect for the 34. I'll be glad to say I told you so.

etk
08-30-2007, 04:27 PM
To be a 3-4 NT in the NFL you pretty much have to be 325 or above. You have to be just a beast who consistently can beat or at least hold ground against double teams. Huge space eaters who are just STRONG at the point of attack and have the quickness to shake of a block and make a tackle. Jamal Williams is your prototype, and as mentioned he's about 350, and as quick as they come for that size. 305 -315 just won't cut it, and I know these kids can add weight, but do you wanna have these kids put on 30 pounds and possibly lose quickness and the like. You'd like to draft a kid who is already that big and has proven they can carry that weight well.

Most current NTs did put on 30+ lbs after entering the league so your argument is weak. 330 lb 22 year-olds don't grow on trees, ya know?

Hi! O-HI-O for Cleveland
08-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Most current NTs did put on 30+ lbs after entering the league so your argument is weak. 330 lb 22 year-olds don't grow on trees, ya know?

Not to mention Casey Hampton plays anywhere from 318-325. He's never come close to 350 in his life. Vince Wilfork is also no where near 350 pounds. Everyone just assumes they are because they're NT's, and Jamal Williams is 345 lbs at NT. Jamal Williams is a very very rare combo of size and talent ecspiecially being on the short end of the stick. It's hard to carry 350 pounds under 6'3 compared to the 6'5+ guys like Washington, Rogers ect.

Give me a 290 pound NT for all I care. If he has the strongest upper body in the draft, if he has the strongest lower body in the draft, and he plays with the best leverage in the draft then he is the best NT in the draft. You don't necessarily need to be 330 to be a good NT. It just so happens that the more powerful guys tend to be bigger guys. I think and exception to that rule may be Glenn Dorsey. It's a long shot, but I think he could cut it as a NT in the NFL at only 303. He's just got alot of power in both his upper and lower body. He also plays with great leverage.

draftguru151
08-30-2007, 07:25 PM
Who is this everyone assuming NTs are 350? One person said 325, which is pretty accurate, another said Williams is 350. Wilfork is 6-1 325, so is Hampton. Moore is 6-4 311.

Big_Pete
09-19-2007, 03:04 PM
It depends on the style of player. Strength is always needed, but you can either be a big plugger (where size is an advantage) or use quickness, speed and leverage; both can work.

My top NT is Terrance Taylor (Michigan)

He is only 6-0, 310, but he can anchor the middle well

some interesting points from high school (from his bio)

... ran 40-yard dash in 4.8 seconds and bench pressed 500 pounds ... best squat lift is 680 pounds ... best dead lift is 670 pounds ... registered a 25-inch vertical leap...

... state champion in power lifting as sophomore, junior and senior ... undefeated heavyweight wrestling state champion as a senior ... third in state in heavyweight wrestling division as a junior ... tallied an 89-6 career record in wrestling, including a 24-0 mark as a senior ... threw shot put and discus on track team ... best shot put is 57 feet and best discus throw is 161 feet

Green Bay Scat
09-19-2007, 03:17 PM
It depends on the style of player. Strength is always needed, but you can either be a big plugger (where size is an advantage) or use quickness, speed and leverage; both can work.

My top NT is Terrance Taylor (Michigan)

He is only 6-0, 310, but he can anchor the middle well

some interesting points from high school (from his bio)

i had a 24 inch vertical, woot lol

fenikz
09-19-2007, 04:11 PM

the cards draft em every year too

genom
09-19-2007, 07:03 PM
If Raji doesn't come out, is there a consensus prototypical 3-4 NT?

Mr. Stiller
09-20-2007, 08:30 AM
If Raji doesn't come out, is there a consensus prototypical 3-4 NT?

Not really one in this draft....

I'd say the Top NT prospects in this draft (Word has it Raji IS staying so)

Jason Shirley, Fresno State
Frank Morton, Tulane
Kory Robertson, Virginia Tech
Vilami Akoteu, Idaho State

I think the next top of the class NTs will be..

Terrance Taylor of Michigan in 09
Myron Pryor, of Kentucky in 09
Antonio Dixon of Miami in 09 (Has potential, just hasn't seemed to put it together)
Ekom Udofia of Stanford in 10

TimD
09-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Terrance Taylor of Michigan in 09

he is going to be scary good at NT. One reason Watson and Branch did so well is because they had him next to them clogging up and getting double teamed.