PDA

View Full Version : Pat White's Future?

naruto613
08-09-2007, 10:29 PM
I know that Pat White is the prototypical College QB most-likely turned WR in the NFL. But, why can't he play QB in the NFL? He has a pretty good arm, and can spread the field, whether it be a passing or an option play. It's just too bad that neither Slaton nor White will win the Heisman because they are just too good to be on the same team. One doesn't outshine the other (Especially versus Louisville last year). I personally believe that Pat White is a very good QB and would make a good QB in the NFL.

What do you guys think? And what do you think he will become?

neko4
08-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Its possible, how tall is he?

RedLionAle
08-09-2007, 10:48 PM
According to wikipedia and espn.com, 6'2".

I don't see White playing Quarterback in the NFL. He doesn't really throw the ball enough in college to attract the interest for it, plus when he does thow the ball, it's nothing special. His arm is enough to get by in college, but it's probably not enough for the NFL level. With his athleticism, he's more likely to be converted to a WR.

jbeans187
08-10-2007, 12:36 AM
I would love to see White give qb a try in the nfl, but he should be a pretty good wr

Vikes99ej
08-10-2007, 01:05 AM
See: Rasheed Marshall

Ward
08-10-2007, 01:06 AM
If Brad Smith couldn't, don't see why White could.

Cashmoney
08-10-2007, 01:27 AM
if he's listed at 6'2 id almost guarantee he is actually 6'0 even.

HoopsDemon12
08-10-2007, 01:45 AM
Ya.. maybe they will give him shot... but i think eventually he will be a wide reciever sooner rather than later

Sniper
08-10-2007, 01:50 AM
Doubtful he ever plays QB in the NFL other than trick plays. First of all, if height hurt Troy Smith, an accomplished college player, then I'm assuming it will hurt White as they are roughly the same size. He doesn't have that great of an arm and tucks the ball too early instead of going to his progressions.

That being said, he still completed 66% of his passes and had a 9.25 yards/attempt ratio, which is really good. On the flip side, he didn't even attempt enough passes to be considered for the national QB ratings leaders. Hard to gauge. I'd like to see him air it out more, but there's no reason to at WVU with that rushing attack.

Jughead10
08-10-2007, 07:36 AM
if he's listed at 6'2 id almost guarantee he is actually 6'0 even.

He definately seems taller than Troy Smith was and Smith was 6'0". The problem with White is that he is as skinny as a rail.

keylime_5
08-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Could probably be a 4th or 5th WR and a KR/PR like Joshua Cribbs.

Vikes99ej
08-10-2007, 12:03 PM

Brad Smith was one of the best dual-threat QBs of all time. I wonder why Vick got a chance at QB, and Smith never did.

Mr. Stiller
08-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Doubtful he ever plays QB in the NFL other than trick plays. First of all, if height hurt Troy Smith, an accomplished college player, then I'm assuming it will hurt White as they are roughly the same size. He doesn't have that great of an arm and tucks the ball too early instead of going to his progressions.

That being said, he still completed 66% of his passes and had a 9.25 yards/attempt ratio, which is really good. On the flip side, he didn't even attempt enough passes to be considered for the national QB ratings leaders. Hard to gauge. I'd like to see him air it out more, but there's no reason to at WVU with that rushing attack.

Difference between Smith/White after what you said is..

Look at the quality of Offense?

How many 1st rounder on offense did troy smith have?

3 OL, 3 WR, 4th Round RB, and a likely future 1st?

White has:

not one good OL, a future 1st round RB, and a 4th round FB.

Hell his best WR in Brandon Myles didn't even get drafted.

Perhaps if WVU had the talent at WR that OSU had he would be airing it out more.

He does have a great arm and is fairly accurate for the very limited chances he gets.

jbeans187
08-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Difference between Smith/White after what you said is..

Look at the quality of Offense?

How many 1st rounder on offense did troy smith have?

3 OL, 3 WR, 4th Round RB, and a likely future 1st?

White has:

not one good OL, a future 1st round RB, and a 4th round FB.

Hell his best WR in Brandon Myles didn't even get drafted.

Perhaps if WVU had the talent at WR that OSU had he would be airing it out more.

He does have a great arm and is fairly accurate for the very limited chances he gets.

WVU's o line is good every year, not nfl prospects but great college lineman

Jughead10
08-10-2007, 12:14 PM

Plus they have that funny play where they all fall on their face. Dan Mozes was very good. When did he get drafted?

TACKLE
08-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Pat White = Reggie McNeal

Both were good college QB's who'll run a 4.4 or faster at the combine but both are definitely lacking some abilties as a passer. Reggie McNeal ran a 4.35 and is now a WR for the Bengals. Expect similar things from Pat White.

Giantsfan1080
08-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Plus they have that funny play where they all fall on their face. Dan Mozes was very good. When did he get drafted?

He didn't get drafted. He's on the Vikings though so I guess UDFA.

scar988
08-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Pat White would be like a ****** armed Vick. no thanks. he needs to be a WR.

Mr. Stiller
08-10-2007, 12:42 PM

They're so good, they can't get drafted?

Dan Mozes vs. Nick Mangold/Doug Datish

I doubt anyone votes for Mozes, not to mention they have Barton and Boone. They have far better the OL than WVU.

WVU is decent at run game but they're far from "Great College Lineman"

I think if Pat White was on some other teams he'd be getting drafted as a QB.

keylime_5
08-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Who cares how much better OSU's players are than WVU's? The fact is that Smith was a pocket QB who could scramble, but he was a great thrower in his day. White is not a great thrower, he is a scrambling QB who runs more in that option spread and only passes when he has to in order to change things up. WVU's players are great fits in their offense and are perfect for the college competition they face, they don't need to be great pro prospects. How many pro teams run a spread option anyways? 0.

Mr. Stiller
08-10-2007, 01:56 PM
Who cares how much better OSU's players are than WVU's? The fact is that Smith was a pocket QB who could scramble, but he was a great thrower in his day. White is not a great thrower, he is a scrambling QB who runs more in that option spread and only passes when he has to in order to change things up. WVU's players are great fits in their offense and are perfect for the college competition they face, they don't need to be great pro prospects. How many pro teams run a spread option anyways? 0.

Many Teams run a version of the Spread. And I believe Petrino is running a spread O if I'm correct.

White would be a better opportunity if he wasn't limited to 10-15 passes a game.

keylime_5
08-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Nobody really runs a spread or an option offense in the NFL. They might impliment some of it in their playbooks like the Titans do, but that was far from the kinda spread that West Virginia and Texas handle.

draftguru151
08-10-2007, 02:28 PM
They're so good, they can't get drafted?

Dan Mozes vs. Nick Mangold/Doug Datish

I doubt anyone votes for Mozes, not to mention they have Barton and Boone. They have far better the OL than WVU.

WVU is decent at run game but they're far from "Great College Lineman"

I think if Pat White was on some other teams he'd be getting drafted as a QB.

I guess the people that voted for the Rimington would take Mozes. :/

Moses was too small to be an effective NFL lineman but in college he was fantastic at getting to the 2nd level.

Jughead I love the play where they do nothing, so random.

Also I think I recall someone from the Jets saying Smith is a QB playing WR, so I think he might get a shot in the future.

As for White, I see no chance he plays QB in the NFL, the McNeal/Smith route is definitely an option though.

Vikes99ej
08-10-2007, 03:40 PM
He didn't get drafted. He's on the Vikings though so I guess UDFA.

He just got injured, and he's done for the season.

doingthisinsteadofwork
08-10-2007, 03:44 PM
He could play QB for the AFL.

TimD
08-10-2007, 07:37 PM

smith has been taking snaps as the 3rd qb for the jets this camp

Ward
08-11-2007, 01:23 AM
smith has been taking snaps as the 3rd qb for the jets this camp

I'm glad to hear that. I'm a big believer in Smith being able to actually QB in this league, I hate when mobile QBs are stupidly assumed to be other positions just because.

energizerbunny
08-11-2007, 11:55 AM
WVU's interior oline last year was one of the best in the NCAA, if their offence flutters a bit this year it can be largely attributed to the depaturer of those players.

Pat White doesn't even get a sniff @ QB, doesn't have the arm needed to make the necessary throws at the next level.

Staubach12
08-11-2007, 12:18 PM

Actually, Brad Smith saw some time at QB last night.

TheMikey10
08-11-2007, 02:40 PM
Brad Smith was one of the best dual-threat QBs of all time. I wonder why Vick got a chance at QB, and Smith never did.

Ya, ill always think that if Pinkel utilized Smith correctly, he couldve won a heisman