PDA

View Full Version : am i the only one who enjoys preseason games

alca1992
08-10-2007, 11:46 AM
well just wondering.i love to see the rookies play the new players on new teams and all that. i still wish they elimanate 2 games and add them to the regular season yough.

JK17
08-10-2007, 11:51 AM
I like the four preseason games, I think it gives enough time for the players to get warmed up, the rookies adjusted, etc., whereas two may be cutting it short.

To be honest I have very little interest in anyone's preseason games but the Chargers. I'll watch them if they are on tv, but not nearly as much as I would watch a regular season game, or Chargers game. Mainly because, well I don't care too much about Cincinnati's third string quarterback, or the Colts second string defense. I'm sure Bengals and Colts fans do, but I care more about their first string, and how the Chargers are going to measure up...

Then again, its football. And I sure do miss watching football.

neko4
08-10-2007, 11:54 AM
No, cuz i hate seeing guys get hurt so early in the year. There should only be 3 games, with shortened quarters

PackerLegend
08-10-2007, 12:39 PM
yes cant wait to see the packers play again and ill watch the whole game. i watched a the colts and the cowboys yesterday but after the 1st string comes out i start to lose interest.

I really only care about the packers preseason games but i will watch other games if there on but not the whole thing.

Turtlepower
08-10-2007, 12:43 PM
I enjoy watching them, but I hate it when people over anaylize them. I just heard someone on this board talk about the lack of depth in the Bengals defense because they let the Lions get back in the game. The teams are not trying to win the games. Coaches are trying to see which units mesh well together and who can out perform who in a game-like situation. There are many more important factors to pre-season games than winning, but people fail to see that. People also tend to see someone underperform to their expectations and then write them off before the season starts. It's the pre-season. I enjoy watching it because it is football, but I don't care too much to discuss it in-depth.

PalmerToCJ
08-10-2007, 12:43 PM
I like watching some of the Bengals young backups play almost more than the starters.

The 4th game is usually hard to watch, us vs. the Colts and neither team plays their starters and by the second half no one that will make the team plays.

EDIT: Yeah the guy that said the Bengals lacked defensive depth because the Lions got back in the game has no idea what he's talking about. With 7 minutes left the Lions only scored 10 points and then they scored the rest vs. players that won't make the team (less Ndukwe, White and Rashad Jeanty who is our SLB but was playing some DE).

Stufazz
08-10-2007, 12:51 PM
I enjoy watching them, but I hate it when people over anaylize them. I just heard someone on this board talk about the lack of depth in the Bengals defense because they let the Lions get back in the game. The teams are not trying to win the games. Coaches are trying to see which units mesh well together and who can out perform who in a game-like situation. There are many more important factors to pre-season games than winning, but people fail to see that. People also tend to see someone underperform to their expectations and then write them off before the season starts. It's the pre-season. I enjoy watching it because it is football, but I don't care too much to discuss it in-depth.

i agree i hate comentators too that when a good play is made by a player they make some exageratted remark about their development.

but i love seeing all of the rookies taken late and practice squad players battle it out.

Turtlepower
08-10-2007, 12:56 PM
but i love seeing all of the rookies taken late and practice squad players battle it out.

That is by far the best part of the game. They really are working the butts off trying to make the team, so they give 110%.

LSUALUM99
08-10-2007, 01:10 PM
I enjoy them quite a good bit.

They are pure entertainment (if it's a team that I follow) but for a completely different reason than the regular season.

#1chiefs_fan
08-10-2007, 01:11 PM
I like it because it gives key veterans time to rest and get ready for the real deal. It gives rookies who may have slipped through cracks a chance to prove themselves.

Smooth Criminal
08-10-2007, 01:15 PM
I like the steelers preseason games but thats all I can stand to watch. I just don't care about wstching Dallas practice squad players.

Staubach12
08-10-2007, 01:25 PM
I enjoy it because you can see the depth on your team, you get to see your team suite up for the first time of the year. It gets me reved up for the real season.

Philliez01
08-10-2007, 01:27 PM
I like watching the backups and getting the teasers of seeing the Calvin Johnsons (hehe, Johnsons), AD, amongst the others.

I'm just glad to see football again...

AlexDown
08-10-2007, 01:55 PM
The only thing that is on the line is players health. It's not fun watching when the outcome means nothing. I had no idea these games started already.

DMWSackMachine
08-10-2007, 02:03 PM
No matter what veteran players or tv analysts say, preseason is often the harbinger of future production for young players. Of course there are cases of fools-gold, but for the most part, if a player is going to do well in the upcoming season, he shows it first in preseason. Often times a player will do well in preseason, and then have an uneventful season, but then break out the next year.

So, that is the biggest thing for me. People may not remember, but last season in Dallas' first preseason game, Tony Romo played the entire game and was absolutely fantastic. He had a streak of 10+ completions and completely controlled the game. That was the first time I allowed myself to hope that he would be a future starter for us--let alone a star. Looking back (I have the game on DVD) it is fascinating to see a player in the early stages of making it in the NFL after coming up with no fanfare and no expectations. THAT is the allure of watching preseason games for me. Who knows when you will be watching the birth of a legend.

Can you imagine watching Montana's first preseason game? A late 3rd rounder on a team with a new coach that had lain dormant for years and years? Wow.

Splat
08-10-2007, 02:09 PM
I get in to the first pre season game the most then after that I still watch the next three for sure but I'm ready for the real thing.

yodabear
08-10-2007, 02:19 PM
No, I don't like them. Starters only get significant playing time in two games, the second and third one, so I think they should cut it down to two games cuz I do not enjoy watching Dave Ragone.

bigbluedefense
08-10-2007, 02:21 PM
It has its pros and cons. You get to see your draft picks on the field and do some evaluation of their potential. On the other hand, you hate injuries, and the games themselves get very dull with the vanilla plays and after the 2nd quarter, its pretty much bleh.

PalmerToCJ
08-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Yeah watching defenses sitting back in zones and 2nd/3rd string quarterbacks is rough so I just mostly focus on the OL/DL/LB's.

I can't stand watching the Bengals offense once Dough Johnson comes in, ruins everything lol. The defense I can watch pretty much the whole game and it doesn't bother me, I just hate seeing them in zone so much.

skinzzfan25
08-10-2007, 03:12 PM
I do like the fact that a lot of young players battle it out and try to earn positions. I don't like the chance of a starter getting hurt though. And most of the games are pretty boring. But I'm still going to watch em :P

duckseason
08-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Seems odd that we would see more than 1 or 2 no votes, especially on a draft nerd site such as this. I love the preseason games. It gives us a chance to get a look at all the players we won't be seeing later in the year. And it's FOOTBALL. We wait all spring/summer for it to come back. Now it's here. Love it.

08-10-2007, 03:43 PM
You're not the only one enjoying pre-season games. Hence the sold out stadiums.

alca1992
08-10-2007, 03:44 PM

what are you talking about when football tickets are only a couple bucks of coure people are gonna go

duckseason
08-10-2007, 03:45 PM

Apparently you didn't catch the Lions game last night....hahaha

Oh, wait, we're talking about NFL preseason. n/m

doingthisinsteadofwork
08-10-2007, 03:49 PM
Yes its funny to watch Tim Couch try and play football.

Addict
08-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Apparently you didn't catch the Lions game last night....hahaha

Oh, wait, we're talking about NFL preseason. n/m

painful.

yet funny.

hell at least we beat someone. More than the Colts can say thus far (yes I know they will own us in the regular season)

Crazy_Chris
08-10-2007, 04:01 PM
I enjoy Preseason games for about the first quater after that its hard to watch unless its my team playing

duckseason
08-10-2007, 04:08 PM
painful.

yet funny.

hell at least we beat someone. More than the Colts can say thus far (yes I know they will own us in the regular season)

Hey I don't care how foolish I look, I'm calling shotgun on the Lions bandwagon again this year. Still fun to crack jokes at their expense though. Oh and if anybody tries to trump my call of shotty, I will pull an actual mossberg pump from my waistline before you can even get your hand on the door of the El Camino. I'm not riding in that rusty ass truck bed.

Addict
08-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Hey I don't care how foolish I look, I'm calling shotgun on the Lions bandwagon again this year. Still fun to crack jokes at their expense though. Oh and if anybody tries to trump my call of shotty, I will pull an actual mossberg pump from my waistline before you can even get your hand on the door of the El Camino. I'm not riding in that rusty ass truck bed.

is there a lions bandwagon?
http://www.norman.k12.ok.us/087/webpix/Bandwagon%20Final.jpg

duckseason
08-10-2007, 04:26 PM
is there a lions bandwagon?
Yes. It's the rusted out El Camino at the back of the nfldc impound lot. Hillbilly-ass yodachu got drunk and went looking for cows one night and found himself in the back of a Crown Vic Interceptor instead. He still hasn't come up with the money to get it out.

Go_Eagles77
08-10-2007, 04:40 PM
I just want the regular season to start!!!

Man_Of_Steel
08-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Most users on here really do like preseason games because this is a draft website and people want to followup on the draft and see the rookies and such play. However nothing beats the reg season.

Addict
08-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Most users on here really do like preseason games because this is a draft website and people want to followup on the draft and see the rookies and such play. However nothing beats the reg season.

do the playoffs count?

trkaline
08-10-2007, 06:30 PM
I hate preseason games...but I understand there importance just can't stand to watch much....

Paul
08-10-2007, 06:33 PM
I enjoy any football after frickin months of baseball and sitcom reruns.

BuckNaked
08-10-2007, 06:48 PM
I enjoy any football after frickin months of baseball and sitcom reruns.

I think i've seen every episode of Scrubs now on Comedy Central.

Iamcanadian
08-11-2007, 10:10 AM

The stadiums are sold out because the NFL requires season ticket holders to take the games with the season tickets otherwise the stadiums would be pretty empty.

diabsoule
08-11-2007, 03:04 PM
While they are not the most entertaining games to watch, the reason I watch pre-season games is to gauge how the rookies are doing, how free agents are doing, and how improved the areas of need are on my team.

DaBears9654
08-11-2007, 09:06 PM
They're 4 (or 5 in you're in the HOF game) more chances for your players to get injured. That right there is an argument against them. Not my main argument though. They don't mean anything statistically. What would be great is if they just did scrimmages scheduled by the teams. I know the NFL does do that, but it's in addition. In the Arena League, they do the scrimmages exclusively. That's what I would like to see in the NFL.

duckseason
08-11-2007, 09:22 PM
They're 4 (or 5 in you're in the HOF game) more chances for your players to get injured. That right there is an argument against them. Not my main argument though. They don't mean anything statistically. What would be great is if they just did scrimmages scheduled by the teams. I know the NFL does do that, but it's in addition. In the Arena League, they do the scrimmages exclusively. That's what I would like to see in the NFL.

I think teams would be opposed to eliminating preseason games. They are needed for many reasons, the most important of all being getting the players in game shape. Without preseason games, the first few weeks of the regular season would be quite sloppy. Consider preseason games as dress rehearsals. Obviously the other huge reason they are needed is to somewhat accurately gauge the value of all the young guys that are on the roster bubble. They get the majority of the playing time anyway. The vets get about how much time they need to prepare for battle, and the rest of the time goes to determining who will be cut. I think you need at least 2 or 3 games to accomplish that. Certainly not 5 though. Scrimmages would just make it tougher on coaches to determine who is capable of performing on game day, and it would make it tougher for the players to adequately prepare for live game action. You gotta remember that not every player in the league is a star.

DaBears9654
08-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Yeah, maybe they are needed, but I personally think 2 or 3 would suffice. There's no need for that many.

Packers-Cardinals
08-12-2007, 02:18 AM
Yes, I enjoy watching the preseason games. It's the first football action since February. However, I only enjoy watching the starters play and the rookie first rounders if they play later on in the game.

Jvig43
08-12-2007, 08:16 AM
I love preseason games, after waiting for months after the regular season is over, i cant wait to sit down and watch a game, even if it is unimportant, or the teams dont care about winning. It gives a good look at the rookies, and the other second or third string guys to see how well they have improved.