PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Games Thread

Pit Bull #53
08-11-2007, 03:58 PM
First preseason game is tonight! Put all game discussions over the next few weeks in this thread.

Pit Bull #53
08-11-2007, 04:02 PM
The main things I'll be looking for (these are pretty obvious):

Roydell and Roby - Is the hype legit?
Calvin Lowry - Upgrade over LaMont?
MLB spot - Who is better against the run?
KR/PR - Who's gonna step up? My money is on Finnegan. Hopefully he's starting at CB also.

And of course the rookies, specifically Griffin and Henry.

Pit Bull #53
08-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Vince broke a team rule and will not be playing tonight. Way to go.

Also, Chris Brown is starting tonight. Finnegan is starting also (YES!)

Pit Bull #53
08-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Vincent Fuller sighting! Nice hit

SeanTaylorRIP
08-11-2007, 08:41 PM
I swear if they mention Vince Young 1 more time I will go crazy, we get it he is suspended we don't need to hear it every 2 mins, anyways neither offense has really shown anything but some nice young secondary players on the Titans have looked good, and the D-line has been active as hell although a couple of the skins O-lineman are sitting it out due to injuries, the pressure has been really good, but haha our punter jacked your returner made him fumble, lol. Still can't believe he was the first guy down there.

Pit Bull #53
08-11-2007, 08:43 PM
It says in the Tennessean that Vince was benched for breaking curfew by spending a night at home instead of at the team hotel. At least it's nothing major, but he has to know better than that.

Pit Bull #53
08-11-2007, 08:45 PM
but haha our punter jacked your returner made him fumble, lol. Still can't believe he was the first guy down there.

That was pretty funny lol. I think it caught him by surprise because if you look at the replay he had his head turned to the side looking at the guy trying to chase him down...then BOOM LOL

skinzzfan25
08-11-2007, 08:47 PM
I swear if they mention Vince Young 1 more time I will go crazy, we get it he is suspended we don't need to hear it every 2 mins, anyways neither offense has really shown anything but some nice young secondary players on the Titans have looked good, and the D-line has been active as hell although a couple of the skins O-lineman are sitting it out due to injuries, the pressure has been really good, but haha our punter jacked your returner made him fumble, lol. Still can't believe he was the first guy down there.

Cosign I know Vince Young is a big name, but really you don't need to cut to him walking with his hat down every 10 seconds. Both teams defenses look pretty good. I'm really disappointed at our offensive line though, especially Jansen who looks weak out there for an elite tackle. And I'm still laughin over Frost nailing that guy lmao. At first I thought it was blades.

Pit Bull #53
08-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Eric King is gonna make this team. Bye bye Waddell. Bye bye Woolfolk.

smittyjs
08-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Well so far, tim Rattay has looked pretty bad, Collins looked good, Bradon Jones looks like he will be are #1 for sure, but from there it is still a huge ? mark. Bo Scaife looked good and i think troupe will be are #2 this year. Are O-Line looked great, and so did are D-Line. Fat and Brown at tackle and KVB at DE, it also looks like Conover could push for playing time this year with Odom. I didn't pay to much attention to our LB's, the secondary looks like it will be the biggest training camp battle. King, Fuller, Cortland finnegan all made some play and we have yet to see what Hill is going to bring this year. Harper and Hope are the only for sure starter IMO. Now for Running back and all i have to say is give Henry the ball please. IMO Herny and White> White and Brown....

smittyjs
08-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Eric King is gonna make this team. Bye bye Waddell. Bye bye Woolfolk. Thank good :)

smittyjs
08-11-2007, 09:40 PM
Justin Gage with a play....

Pit Bull #53
08-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Chris Henry looked the best out of the 3 RB's tonight. He ran fast and strong. Though on the last few carries he's been met immediately and that has really deflated his YPC. Up until then he was averaging right at 5.0.

I was really impressed with Odom tonight. He made several plays. He was also the reason Tony Brown got that sack and FF on Campbell.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Lol greatest fluke win by the Skins ever, haha the shotgun snapping was awful, I know that was Eugene because he aint crap like that. Funny Funny ending, and funny game, how about Lorenzo Alexander going for Rattay without a helmet, that's some crazy stuff. Anyways game means nothing but Rattay confirmed why he's crap, no arm strength. 3rd stringer at best. Oh and I counted they repeated the Vince Young suspended for unidentified reasons 27 times.

Pit Bull #53
08-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Yeah the shotgun snapping was bad. That was our rookie center Leroy Harris. He did that twice where the ball didn't even make it off the ground. I laughed my ass off though when that guy nailed Rattay after he tried to pick up the fumble.

Pit Bull #53
08-11-2007, 11:26 PM
Hopefully Roydell will be back next week. I wanna see what he's gonna bring to the table this year.

TitanAddict
08-12-2007, 12:30 PM
My thoughts on the game...

Like everybody else, I thought the D-line did very well. I was particularly impressed with Odom, but I knew he'd do well all along :) I thought Finnegan had a solid game at corner, even though he allowed that long pass to Santana Moss. Though, I'm not sure even Pacman would have stopped that play. If the safety had any anticipation skills, he could have gotten there to stop it. Who was the safety? None other than our beloved Lamont Thompson. I hope he gets cut, which leads me to my next thought. We need to put Griffin at safety, pronto. He didn't look very comfortable at corner, although he held his own. I would rather see him thriving at safety than holding his own as a backup corner.

The O-line was a little disappointing. I don't blame the running backs for struggling. I was sitting in the endzone, so I had a good view from behind and I could tell if the holes were opening or not. Let's just say that the running backs were running into a wall.

Tim Rattay is > Kerry Collins, hands down.

Chris Henry showed great burst and excellent hands. I think he should play ahead of Brown and split carries with Lendale.

Despite the talk that Roydell and Roby are playing better than Brandon Jones, it's not true. Jones is clearly our #1. Moulds didn't play particularly well. He dropped a screen pass and I don't think he saw another ball after that. I think Roydell will get his chance to earn a starting spot.

After one pre-season game, here is my starting line-up:

QB: Vince Young
RB: LenDale White (with Chris Henry spelling him)
FB: Ahmard Hall
WR: Brandon Jones
WR: Roydell Williams
TE: Bo Scaife
LT: Michael Roos
LG: Jacob Bell
C: Kevin Mawae
RG: Benji Olson
RT: David Stewart

DE: KVB
DT: Albert Haynesworth
DT: Tony Brown
DE: Antwan Odom
OLB: Keith Bulluck
MLB: Tulloch or Fowler (pending further review)
OLB: David Thornton
CB: Nick Harper
CB: Cortland Finnegan
SS: Chris Hope
FS: Michael Griffin (move him, for the love of God!!!)

Overall, I feel a little bit better about our team after the game. Yeah, we lost, but it was a fluke and both teams' fourth stringers were in the game. We would beat the Redskins in the regular season.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-12-2007, 04:48 PM
If I were the Titans I would start Chris Brown but immediately bench him if he plays poorly or gets hurt, and have Henry 2nd. White nothing more than a goal line back. Henry even runs with more power and passion than White.

Pit Bull #53
08-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Chris Brown doesn't look as fast as he used to. Someone made the comment last night that he looks like he's running through sand. I'd agree with that....though we still haven't seen him get to just find a crease and go yet.

smittyjs
08-16-2007, 07:24 AM
Is the game on Friday??

Cashmoney
08-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Is the game on Friday??

i believe so. should be a good one.

Pit Bull #53
08-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Griffin got his first pick at CB.

And Odom still looks beastly

EDIT - And Griffin just got his 2nd pick.

TitanHope
08-17-2007, 11:29 PM
What were your thoughts on the game, Pit? I'm not able to watch any of the games unless they're on ESPN or nationally televised...

From what I can tell, the D-Line played well, and the secondary did too with 4 picks. Vince struggled in his first game also. But other than that, I got nuthin'...

Titans10
08-18-2007, 12:14 AM
What were your thoughts on the game, Pit? I'm not able to watch any of the games unless they're on ESPN or nationally televised...

From what I can tell, the D-Line played well, and the secondary did too with 4 picks. Vince struggled in his first game also. But other than that, I got nuthin'...

Hey Titanhope, the games are on CW Chattanooga, which is channel 6

Pit Bull #53
08-18-2007, 12:19 AM
Vince looked really bad. He looked rusty and like he was trying too hard and pressing.

Chris Brown looked good.

OL was fine, but the Pats were blitzing heavily when the 1st team was in. They blitzed alot, I'd say the majority of the time.

The DL played very well. LBs were ehhh. We got GASHED on about 4 screen plays. They even ran the same screen back to back and both went for big gains. One thing I did notice about the DL was that they would get good pressure, but whoever the QB was would flush out of the pocket, and that bought a ton of extra time, because the guys in the DL couldn't recover.

Secondary play was fine. Griffin played great. Herndon did pretty well except for 1 pass interference call in the end zone. Lowry was invisible for the most part. Hope didn't do a ton. Finnegan played well. King had good coverage on one play, but allowed a completion because he missed the ball.

We played really sloppy though. I think we had 8 penalties with about 13 mins left in the 2nd quarter. Alot of offsides penalties.

That's all I got.

Cashmoney
08-18-2007, 12:43 AM
if only odom could play as well in the regular season as he does in the preseason........

skinzzfan25
08-18-2007, 09:36 AM
Hopefully our O-line being so bad first game was a result of your D-line being so good. I saw a few plays of the game and you were getting great penetration on another strong line with the Pats. Makes me feel a little more at ease with our O-line problems lol.

TitanHope
08-18-2007, 01:30 PM
Oh, didn't know about that, Titan10. Thanks!

And thank you Pit. But, another thing I would like to know is who started at MLB this time?

Pit Bull #53
08-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Tulloch started at MLB this game.

Both he and Fowler looked decent. Nothing really stood out to me. Tulloch made one nice play meeting the RB in the hole, and Fowler made a great pass breakup over the middle of the field. I didn't focus alot on them, and haven't rewatched the game any. I was mainly trying to watch the DL and see how our secondary performed.

I am very pleased with the secondary. Looks like we have very good depth there this year as well.

TitanAddict
08-18-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm so happy that our D-line is still playing well. Odom looks like a pro-bowler if he can stay healthy, and I'm not even exaggerating. If he starts all 16 games, I could DEFINITELY see him notching 14-15 sacks.

Another guy who looked good last night was Chris Brown. Like Eddie George said on the broadcast, his arms look really big. I didn't see the game on TV last week b/c I was at the game, so I couldn't see how big his arms were. I know he was going against second teamers, but he ran really hard and put a couple of really good moves on the linebackers and corners.

How about Cortland Finnegan? I give KVB the credit for his INT, but I loved to see how physical he was with Stallworth. After the performances he and Griffin put up at corner, I could see Nick Harper moving to nickel by mid-season if Griffin continues to improve. I was a little disappointed by the safety play last night. Chris Hope didn't really stand out, and he was supposed to be covering Wes Welker on the touchdown. Lamont didn't stand out except for his INT, which should be credited to Antwan Odom body slamming Tom Brady into the ground. I thought Fuller played a better game than Lowry.

Kelly Herndon was around the ball a lot and should have had at least one pick. That pass interference call on him in the endzone was ticky-tack.

I thought Fowler had a better game than Tulloch, and I thought that our backup linebackers played better than last week -- especially Gilbert Gardner.

Travis Laboy had better start showing up. I think Sean Connover is out-playing him so far this preseason.

The offensive line still looks bad. They gave up four sacks on Vince (almost a couple more) and couldn't open up running lanes in the first half. I'm still confident that they'll be okay by week one, though.

As for Vince, he looked AWFUL. I know it was his first time out, and the field was really slick, but come on. I'm pretty sure I could have gone 5-17 last night, especially since half of the completions were little dump passes to Bo Scaife. I thought Collins looked a lot better than last week, and Rattay looked not quite as good. I'll give Collins the #2 job back, for now.

The wide receivers... I think Roydell should start instead of Moulds. Moulds has shown NOTHING so far this preseason. He supposedly catches everything in practice, but it's not translating to the games. IMO, our starters should be Jones and Roydell with Chris Davis in the slot. Justin Gage looks like our #4. Roby and Moulds just look bad. I might say that Paul Williams should be our #5 with Roby and Moulds sitting on the bench.

It is also becoming more and more clear that we NEED Ben Troupe to have a good year. We desperately need a big, athletic target in the middle of the field for Vince. I think our offense would look tons better with Ben Troupe in the game and playing well. We need for Scaife to be a solid #2.

Overall, I give our defense a B+ and our offense a D-. If we learned one thing from last night, it is that we have pretty darn good depth.

My updated Titans depth chart after two preseason games:

QB: Vince, Kerry, Tim
RB: LenDale, Brown, Henry
TE: Troupe, Scaife, Hartsock
FB: Hall, Cramer
WR: Jones, R. Williams, Davis, Gage, P. Williams, Roby, Moulds
OL: Same as usual

LB: Bulluck, Thornton, and Fowler
DE: KVB and Odom
DT: Haynesworth and Brown
CB: Finnegan and Harper
NB: Griffin
S: Fuller and Hope

Pit Bull #53
08-18-2007, 03:21 PM
I don't see any way that Troupe is the starter at TE this year. Scaife is the man now. Troupe is unreliable and inconsistent, and we can't have that from our TE. I would love for him to break out of his funk and be a gamebreaker, but I don't see it happening.

Scaife is just a much more natural football player than Troupe is, and it shows clearly.

smittyjs
08-18-2007, 09:10 PM
I didn't get to see the game live and had to watch the replay on NFL channel, i fell asleep during the third, so did White play last night?? Also Young looked bad, im hoping to see a huge improvement next week and really has any WR stood out to anyone for the #2 spot?? Thats what is worring me right now, because Mould's will be a good pick up IMO, but he is a slot guy IMO. So i'm guessing Roby or Williams for the #2 spot.

Pit Bull #53
08-18-2007, 09:42 PM
White didn't play, he has a sprained ankle.

And if it comes down to Roby or Williams, it should be Williams.

TitanHope
08-19-2007, 11:41 AM
I still think Griffin is just playing CB this year to build up his coverage skills so that he can move to FS next year.

I was disappointed with Hope's apparent blown coverage on Wes Welker's TD (I did see the highlights, just not the game). He's my boy, though! He still rules!

TitanAddict
08-19-2007, 04:21 PM
I don't see any way that Troupe is the starter at TE this year. Scaife is the man now. Troupe is unreliable and inconsistent, and we can't have that from our TE. I would love for him to break out of his funk and be a gamebreaker, but I don't see it happening.

Scaife is just a much more natural football player than Troupe is, and it shows clearly.

I'm not giving up on Troupe just yet. In his second year, he had 55 receptions for 500+ yards and four touchdowns. If he can simply stay healthy and if Vince completes 55-60 percent of his passes, then I think Troupe will be our starter. I love Scaife as a #2 who can also line up at fullback, but he doesn't need to be our #1. I'll admit that Scaife is the more aggressive blocker, but you can't convince me that he is the more talented football player. Troupe has the ability to line up at WR and still be effective. You can't say that about too many tight ends. I might eat my words in a few months, but I'm calling a come back year for Troupe.

TitanHope
08-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Troupe's athleticism is excellent, but he sometimes gets by on it alone. I'd like for him to start, since he has the big play aspect. When Scaife gets the ball, he'll rumble for 5 yards and get tackled. When Troupe gets the ball, I'm expecting him to go for another 9-10 yards after the catch. But, Scaife is more complete, since he catches and blocks. Not to mention Troupe has never played for a full season. So, Scaife gets the nod until Troupe can stay healthy.

But I maintain the same desire that others around here have:

1st and 2nd Down: Scaife
3rd and 4th Down: Troupe

TitanHope
08-20-2007, 06:07 PM
Also, a cool thing that I found while on another Titans' board are our statistical rankings so far in the preseason.

Defense:
Overall--7th
Passing--2nd
Rushing--5th

Offence:
Overall--12th
Passing--20th
Rushing--17th

Yeah, I know its the preseason, but its still optomistic. Especially how well we're ranked in defense.

Pit Bull #53
08-20-2007, 06:59 PM
Griffin running with the 1st team today in practice at CB. Hopefully he gets the start in the next game.

Pit Bull #53
08-24-2007, 07:59 PM
Much, much better showing by VY tonight. Last week he looked rusty and like he was pressing. Tonight he looked much more comfortable and natural...and he's still not running yet.

LenDale looked good...but fat. But thats ok as long as he runs good lol

TitanAddict
08-24-2007, 11:09 PM
Like Pitbull said, Vince looked about a million times better this week than against New England. LenDale also stepped up his game. I'm sure some of you listened to his in-game sideline interview, and he said all the right things. He gave all the credit to the offensive line and he even asked the reporter if he could wish Steve Watterson's wife a happy birthday. He ran the ball downfield (like Fisher and Chow want), he caught the ball well when he had to, and he blocked extremely well -- no missed assignments and he even blew a couple guys up.

As for the defense, Fowler played solid, Lamont looked pretty good for the second week in a row, and Michael Griffin looked incredibly solid. Too bad he gave up the big pass to Lee Evans, but that was a great pass by Losman and Evans is probably the best deep threat in the league.

Anyway, on to my updated depth chart:

QB: VY, Collins, Rattay
RB: LenDale, Brown, Henry
WR: B. Jones, Roydell
Slot: Chris Davis
TE: Scaife
FB: Hall
OL: Same as usual
Backup WR order: Gage, Roby, Moulds, Ealy, Paul Williams, Filani

DE: Odom and KVB
DT: Haynesworth and Tony Brown
LB: Bulluck, Thornton, and Fowler
CB: Griffin and Finnegan
Nickel: Harper
SS: Hope
FS: Lowry (I can't bring myself to put Lamont here)

K: NOT JOHN VAUGHN!!!
P: Hentrich

Cashmoney
08-25-2007, 12:54 AM
can anyone tell me how the D did in this game specifically the d-line and linebackers. i missed the first half. :(

Pit Bull #53
08-25-2007, 10:35 AM
The first team D stuffed the run very well. Didn't get any sacks, but got decent pressure on a few key throws. Pressure wasn't as good as the first two games in my opinion, but was still fine.

Harper missed a pick that hit him right in the chest. After he missed it, he dropped on the field and started doing pushups lol. The very next play was the long ball to Evans. Griff was right with him step for step, but towards the end Evans slowed down and then hit the afterburners. Griffin didn't know the ball was coming.

I also hope we dump Rattay and use that extra roster spot on another WR or DB.

TitanHope
08-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Definitely think Rattay gets cut. If he does, my only worry is about not having Drew Bennett! I mean, if Young or Collins gets hurt, then who will be our emergency quarterback?!

I'm also very impressed with Kerry Collins this pre-season. He's played great. Vince and him are the only QB's we need.

I'm not bothered at all with Griff getting burned by Lee Evans. Like someone said, Evans is a great deep threat, but Griff was right with him all the way. He fell for a little double move that Evans gave, but I see Evans leave veteran CB's in the dust on routes like that. Also, gotsta remember he's a rookie. Anyway, I'm more bothered by Harper's miss on that interception. He's gotta catch those, and had he did, Evans would have never had the chance to go deep.

Pit Bull #53
08-30-2007, 06:04 PM
Simon will suit up and apparently play tonight. Be good to see what he's got, if anything.

Ben Troupe and Reynaldo Hill will also make their preseason debuts.

Notable starters tonight:

Rey Hill
Cortland Finnegan
Ryan Fowler
LenDale White
Calvin Lowry

Fish also said we will be playing starters, with the exception of a few players, for 1 series into the 3rd quarter.

smittyjs
08-30-2007, 11:32 PM
Went to the games, overall we looked good, White and brown look like beast, all of are Rb's are fighting hard for the staring job, but IMO White is ahead at this moment. VY looked good, had a badass TD run and a great TD throw, Moulds, finally made a few catches tonight. Defense stuffed the run, was getting some pressure also on the QB, and Chris Davis had a PR for a TD in the game.

MicktheGreat
08-30-2007, 11:41 PM
Went to the games, overall we looked good, White and brown look like beast, all of are Rb's are fighting hard for the staring job, but IMO White is ahead at this moment. VY looked good, had a badass TD run and a great TD throw, Moulds, finally made a few catches tonight. Defense stuffed the run, was getting some pressure also on the QB, and Chris Davis had a PR for a TD in the game.

The thing that has really stood out to me so far this preseason is how well our D-Line is playing. I've been a big critic of the Titans not addressing DE earlier in the draft; however, they all seem to be playing very hard. With the recent signing of Corey Simon, I'd like to see Tony Brown moved to DE where he can platoon with Odom (allowing LaBoy to come in on 3rd downs...where maybe Brown can shift to DT on 3rd downs).

Also...our secondary, especially at CB, looks very solid. Even Reynaldo Hill looks a little bit better this preseason than he did all last season. I think Harper & Finnegan will end up being the starters; however, Griffin will get plenty of play-time in our nickel packages. I'd like to see Hope step-up a little bit more; but I think he will once the season starts. Also, it'll be interesting to see who wins the starting FS spot -- I've got a bad feeling that it'll be Lamont, but we'll have to see how it plays out.

As far as tonight's game, Chris Davis' punt return was incredible. He just seems to have an extra-gear in punt returns -- and during his TD run, it seemed like everyone else was in slow-motion by comparison.

Pit Bull #53
08-30-2007, 11:51 PM
I didn't really think Reynaldo looked good at all tonight. Don't want him starting. Hopefully he's our 4th CB at best, which he should be.

I saw the same things from him this game that I saw all of last year - big cushions given to receivers, and no explosiveness to break on shorter routes. Just look at Griffin. Every time a comeback is thrown at him, he's draped right on top of the WR to either swat it down or make the tackle and hopefully jar it loose as soon as the ball hits the WR. Then watch Reynaldo try to defend a comeback route. Ball is caught before Rey can even start to break to the WR and he's likely 10 yds away from the guy. That annoys the hell outta me