PDA

View Full Version : Steven Jacksons goal of 2500 yards.

HawkeyeFan
08-12-2007, 12:58 PM
How realistic do you think it is for him to reach it? I'm thinking 2250 is realistic, but 2500 may be a bit high. If he gets it though, he'll have proved the league alot about him. Possibly overtakin LT as #1

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=2971077&categoryId=2459789

YAYareaRB
08-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Total Yards or Rushing Yards? If it's Total I think he could get it. Rushing maybe a different story with so much other weapons on the team.

TimD
08-12-2007, 01:07 PM
i hope he does... he's alot of fun to watch...

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Total is possible. 1800 yards and 700 receiving, while extremely unlikely, is possible.

America
08-12-2007, 01:17 PM
He cannot surpass LT as the #1. But 2500 total yards would be awesome. If they can open up the ground game a bit so he can get more ypc then 2500 wouldn't be so ridiculous. Give him 2 more carries a game and get .1 more yard per carry and he's at 1700 yards rushing. Then he'd have to repeat his receiving totals from last year. And then he would die the next season because he just has 468 touches and maybe even some for the playoffs if they go.

M.O.T.H.
08-12-2007, 01:41 PM
He said all-purpose yards not just rushing...that would be insane.

bored of education
08-12-2007, 01:41 PM
ill say he does

Packers-Cardinals
08-12-2007, 01:46 PM
I'm going to say he will. He appears to have the strong work ethic necessary to get 2500 yards. Not only that, he has excellent and can handle the punishment of being a feature back.

How come he slipped down to the late first round in 2004?

He had 2,334 total yards last year. He only needs 166 more total yards.

Crazy_Chris
08-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Jackson definatly has the talent to do it but im not sure with all the other weapons on that offense that im not sure that he will get the ball quite enough to have a chance to get 2500 yds.

JK17
08-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Like everyone's said, its certainly possible he can get to 2500 yards...It'll be an uphill battle, and personally I doubt he'll do it, but I don't want to count him out either. It'd be an incredible feat, but I'm also not so sure it knocks him over LT as the #1 guy, even if he does do it though.

So I'm gonna say no he won't, and if he does...like America said...good luck next year, with all that wear and tear.

JT Jag
08-12-2007, 03:12 PM
I hope he'll be doing special teams, if he wants to make that many all-purpose yards...

KCJ58
08-12-2007, 03:20 PM
he'll make it happen! he's a very tallented RB on the rise and im glad my Rams got him :)

BUSTKUNTLAWL
08-12-2007, 03:22 PM
I would love some action on this. ($$)

No way he gets 2,500.

A Perfect Score
08-12-2007, 04:24 PM
im a big jackson fan...but i dont think he can pull off 2500 yards i mean thats alot of yards...wats the record in a season again?

BigDawg819
08-12-2007, 04:33 PM
As a fantasy football player who selected him, I approve of his goals. :D

P-L
08-12-2007, 04:46 PM
im a big jackson fan...but i dont think he can pull off 2500 yards i mean thats alot of yards...wats the record in a season again?

Single season record is 2429 yards by Marshall Faulk in 1999.

Addict
08-12-2007, 04:48 PM

Well I hope he makes it for your fantasy's sake then ;)

2500 is a lot though, not impossible, but maybe 2000 would be a more realistic goal for him. But it's good to see he's hungry.

Dam8610
08-12-2007, 04:57 PM
If it's APY, there's a chance. He's going to be the feature back of one of the best offenses in the NFL, and unlike Martz, Linehan seems to want to use Jackson to the fullest of his capabilities. It is a lofty goal, but for a RB of Jackson's caliber in an offense of the Rams' caliber, he certainly has an outside shot at least.

bearfan
08-12-2007, 05:00 PM

LOL no kidding. I have him too

duckseason
08-12-2007, 05:09 PM
It's total yards from scrimmage. Those of you who think he has no chance need to remember that he had 2334 last season. A 166 yard improvement is certainly realistic. He just needs to stay healthy, and the Rams need to keep giving him the ball. Do we think they won't? Hell, if he can just improve his YPC a bit with a few more big runs, that would cover the 166 right there. If he gets more carries, he could get it. I think the biggest question is whether or not he'll get 90 receptions again. He's gonna need to have another impressive year receiving to accomplish this lofty goal. But yeah, all he's basically saying is that he expects to improve this year, and he thinks it's likely because he feels that he and his o-line really began to gel toward the end of last year.

Addict
08-12-2007, 05:21 PM
It's total yards from scrimmage. Those of you who think he has no chance need to remember that he had 2334 last season. A 166 yard improvement is certainly realistic. He just needs to stay healthy, and the Rams need to keep giving him the ball. Do we think they won't? Hell, if he can just improve his YPC a bit with a few more big runs, that would cover the 166 right there. If he gets more carries, he could get it. I think the biggest question is whether or not he'll get 90 receptions again. He's gonna need to have another impressive year receiving to accomplish this lofty goal. But yeah, all he's basically saying is that he expects to improve this year, and he thinks it's likely because he feels that he and his o-line really began to gel toward the end of last year.

he got to 2334 yards with one of the best O-lines in the NFL blocking for him... he'll need to get 166 yards extra behind a weaker line... that makes it though.

duckseason
08-12-2007, 05:29 PM
he got to 2334 yards with one of the best O-lines in the NFL blocking for him... he'll need to get 166 yards extra behind a weaker line... that makes it though.
Oh, it'll certainly be tough. And I'm not saying it's necessarily likely. I'd actually bet against it unless I was getting good odds on my money. I'm just saying that it's absolutely a realistic goal.

Dam8610
08-12-2007, 05:47 PM

Adding Orlando Pace makes for a weaker OL? Interesting.

Michigan
08-12-2007, 05:47 PM
jackson is easily a top 3 back, but 2500 APyds is pretty rediculous. could definitely see him getting more than 2000 this year though.

Addict
08-12-2007, 05:51 PM
Adding Orlando Pace makes for a weaker OL? Interesting.

damn... I was thinking Chiefs. My bad.

And they already had pace. they re-signed him.

Dam8610
08-12-2007, 06:02 PM
damn... I was thinking Chiefs. My bad.

And they already had pace. they re-signed him.

Pace was injured for half of 2006. So in a sense, they're adding him.

Addict
08-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Pace was injured for half of 2006. So in a sense, they're adding him.

no, it's a re-signing... he had a contract, got a new one.
that's re-signing.

Pit Bull #53
08-12-2007, 06:09 PM
no, it's a re-signing... he had a contract, got a new one.
that's re-signing.

He's making the point that Jackson was running behind an OL without Pace for half the year last year (he missed 8 games with injury). This year, he's going to have a healthy Pace in front of him, so it's essentially like they are "adding" him.

duckseason
08-12-2007, 06:11 PM
jackson is easily a top 3 back, but 2500 APyds is pretty rediculous. could definitely see him getting more than 2000 this year though.
You're aware he had 2334 yards from scrimmage last year, right? I think he's already reached "ridiculous" level. 2000 should be expected at this point, and would likely be the result of an injury or diminished role in the passing game. I see no predictable reason to think he'll regress statistically.

yodabear
08-12-2007, 06:46 PM
I'll shave all the hair off my body if he does it.

KCJ58
08-12-2007, 06:49 PM

you will shave your only ball hair?

Dam8610
08-12-2007, 06:50 PM

Someone needs to put this in their sig so that if Jackson does break 2500, this is remembered.

TheChampIsHere
08-12-2007, 06:52 PM
2500 i could see him getting in total yards although it would be pretty dam tuff for him to pull it off. 2500 rushing yards forget about it no way in hell, theres a reason a number of people have hit 2000 but no one goes far over it

yodabear
08-12-2007, 06:54 PM
you will shave your only ball hair?

Nope, all of it.

BigDawg819
08-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Nope, all of it.

For the love of God don't proved proof!

BuckNaked
08-12-2007, 07:15 PM
For the love of God don't proved proof!

Knowing Yoda, we're going to see it.

TheChampIsHere
08-12-2007, 07:29 PM
You're aware he had 2334 yards from scrimmage last year, right? I think he's already reached "ridiculous" level. 2000 should be expected at this point, and would likely be the result of an injury or diminished role in the passing game. I see no predictable reason to think he'll regress statistically.

honestly, when someone has a season like SJack had last year, there is every year to think he might regress statisically. Now im a big fan of Jackson and think hes a great player, but the level he played at last year is very hard to sustain, especially on the receiving end. Now I feel like Jackson has the talent to sustain that level of production and maybe improve it, he could get 2500 or more total yards, could rush for 2000...But to act like theres no reason to think his production might slip is kinda ridiculous because the simple fact that he's coming off a great season like his makes him a candidate to slip....only the best players can actually sustain that kind of production, and those players go on to be HOFers....but there are tons of players who have great seasons but just cant keep it up for whatever reason....injuries, supporting cast, lack of talent, lack of motivation, league figures em out, conflict with coach, scheme change that hurts em.....whatever the reason might be, its just a lot of players that cant keep it up....thats why people like Steven Jackson and Frank Gore arent done proving themselves yet.

duckseason
08-12-2007, 07:40 PM
honestly, when someone has a season like SJack had last year, there is every year to think he might regress statisically. Now im a big fan of Jackson and think hes a great player, but the level he played at last year is very hard to sustain, especially on the receiving end. Now I feel like Jackson has the talent to sustain that level of production and maybe improve it, he could get 2500 or more total yards, could rush for 2000...But to act like theres no reason to think his production might slip is kinda ridiculous because the simple fact that he's coming off a great season like his makes him a candidate to slip....only the best players can actually sustain that kind of production, and those players go on to be HOFers....but there are tons of players who have great seasons but just cant keep it up for whatever reason....injuries, supporting cast, lack of talent, lack of motivation, league figures em out, conflict with coach, scheme change that hurts em.....whatever the reason might be, its just a lot of players that cant keep it up....thats why people like Steven Jackson and Frank Gore arent done proving themselves yet.
I agree. Which is why I said I see no predictable reason why he would regress. There's nothing to base the prediction on at this point. No tangible reason to believe that a young player such as himself on an improving team will regress statistically. However, I'd definitely agree that the odds are against him to reach 2500. There are so many things that need to go right for that to happen. The biggest thing being that he needs to stay healthy for the entire year. But there's no reason to believe that he won't. No reason to believe that his role in the offense will diminish. No reason to believe that he won't have improved as a running back. No reason to believe the Rams OL will be any worse than last year. But I agree that there is a very real chance that something will go wrong. There are so many variables that it would be tough to make it through an entire season without some kind of hindrance to his stats. But hey, I think we all can agree that the sky is the limit for him heading into the season.

TitanHope
08-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Doesn't Jackson make a prediction like this every year? Or am I thinking of someone else?

If Jackson gets 1800 rushing yards, I'll be very impressed. If he catches for 700 yards, I'll be impressed. But doing both...I don't think he can do it. Last year was his first year carrying the full load, but he's trying to improve on excellence.

Steven Jackson is a great running back, but he's not Marshall Faulk.

TheChampIsHere
08-12-2007, 08:00 PM
agreed sir

Packers-Cardinals
08-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Nope, all of it.

I think you should should get ready to shave your body hair. Steven Jackson only needs 166 more yards from scrimmage than he did last year to get to 2500 yards. In my opinion, Jackson is the second best running back in the league behind LaDainian Tomlinson.

And I think you should put up a picture to show you shaved your body hair.

yodabear
08-12-2007, 10:38 PM
Of course I'd love for him to do it, he is the running back of my favorite team, so if he does, I will shave all my body hair.

scottyboy
08-12-2007, 10:52 PM
i believe he wont because, the Rams have a high powered O, and can rack up yards through the air. They also have a VERY good backup in leonard(yea, ima homer, not the 1st time, not the last). but with Leonard, they can keep Jackson fresh and not have him take a huge beating. they also want him healthy for the playoffs, as they will win the NFC West.

BigDawg819
08-12-2007, 10:53 PM
Of course I'd love for him to do it, he is the running back of my favorite team, so if he does, I will shave all my body hair.

Again don't proved proof, I beg you!

OzTitan
08-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Every year someone makes a statement like this. I think last year Gore said he wanted to break some record and so did LJ, but I could be mistaken.

He already had pretty close to 2500 total yards last year, it could happen, but to break Marshall's record that he obtained during that insanely good offense of course seems very unlikely.

Eagles own the NFC East
08-12-2007, 11:47 PM
total yards wouldnt be so hard but rushing yards overall thats a far fetched goal there.

Mr. Stiller
08-13-2007, 12:44 AM
I'd love to see him pull it off.

But I can't see him doing it against the AFC North and the NFC South..

nfrillman
08-13-2007, 12:59 AM
Ok, first of all no one is ever going to rush for 2500 yards. That would be completely insane, and I don't think anyone could survive getting the kind of carries it would take to do that. Jackson's goal is 2500 all-purpose yards. His thinking is that he will not get as many receptions this season, but feels he can increase his yards per catch. I would obviously not be opposed to him reaching this goal because that means the Rams are a virtual lock to make the playoffs, but I don't want him to be run into the ground like a certain other running back that resides in the great state of Missouri.

JK17
08-13-2007, 01:17 AM
total yards wouldnt be so hard but rushing yards overall thats a far fetched goal there.

Wait, what? Total yards wouldn't be that hard to do? You mean breaking a record set by Marshall Faulk, by about 80 yards won't be that hard?

And it is total yards, no one will ever hit 2500 rushing yards, unless someone decides to extend the season a couple games.

Packers-Cardinals
08-13-2007, 01:19 AM
If Steven Jackson hits 2,500 total yards, how much money do you think he's worth?

duckseason
08-13-2007, 01:19 AM

Yeah, not hard at all. What with it never being done in the history of the game.
Should be simple.

TheChampIsHere
08-13-2007, 01:28 AM
Yeah, not hard at all. What with it never being done in the history of the game.
Should be simple.

really? never been done before? Suddenly it seems a lot more far-fetched that he'll do it, lol....To be honest, I wouldnt be surprised if Jackson never even comes close to matching the receivers numbers he put up in 06 again in his career. I need to see him do it for another year before I believe he is the kind of receiver those numbers make him out to be, because those are Faulk-esque type receiving numbers and Jackson didnt have a whole lot of rep for his receiving skills coming into the league, he was a big, bruising runner......Now thats not to say he cant be a great receiver, but Im not sure I completely buy it yet, I dont know if he can make as many huge plays as a receiver as he did in the past, part of it could be teams not respecting him as a receiver out of the backfield because after all he is a big bruising runner not a Reggie Bush/Marshall Faulk/Tiki Barber mold of running back....Quite honestly, if Jackson is indeed the type of receiver those numbers of his indicate, and you add that to his ability as a power runner, then we are looking at one of the greatest backs ever.

Seasonticketholder
08-13-2007, 12:18 PM
I know most people will disagree, but I truly believe that Reggie Bush will come close to getting 2500 yards this season. Late last season, he made drastic improvements as a runner. This year, he's faster (as silly as that may be to believe) and he's doing a superb job of showing he can be an effective runner between the tackles. I can see him getting over 1000 yards rushing this season. The Saints have already indicated that they plan to give him more carries in the running game. Also, the Saints are using him more as a WR. Last year, he was catching swing passes out the backfield. This year, the Saints have running WR routes. The other night against Buffalo showed a glimpse of what you can expect from him. That said, I think he will join Roger Craig and Marshall Faulk as the only running backs to get 1000 rushing and receiving.

Getting to exactly 2500 yards might be difficult but Bush could come very close. To get to 2500 yards, a player needs to average 156.25 yards per game. That's not easy but it is possible. For Bush, it will depend on how much he carries the ball. I won't be surprised if he gets 200+ carries and there has been some speculation that he might end up with more carries by season's end than Deuce. So far, he's been averaging 5.8 yards this preseason. I won't even argue that he will keep that up when the real games begin but you can expect him to be right around 5 yards or a tad more. Last year in the final 8, he was at 4.8 and in the final month, 5.1. So, it remains to be seen but all I am saying is do not be surprised if he threatens Faulk's record and possibly 2500 yards.

JK17
08-13-2007, 12:32 PM
I know most people will disagree, but I truly believe that Reggie Bush will come close to getting 2500 yards this season. Late last season, he made drastic improvements as a runner. This year, he's faster (as silly as that may be to believe) and he's doing a superb job of showing he can be an effective runner between the tackles. I can see him getting over 1000 yards rushing this season. The Saints have already indicated that they plan to give him more carries in the running game. Also, the Saints are using him more as a WR. Last year, he was catching swing passes out the backfield. This year, the Saints have running WR routes. The other night against Buffalo showed a glimpse of what you can expect from him. That said, I think he will join Roger Craig and Marshall Faulk as the only running backs to get 1000 rushing and receiving.

Hmm...lets break this one down. You expect him to get over 1000 yards rushing, while splitting carries with Deuce. Let's be generous and even give him 1200 yards rushing, amazing for a second year guy, whose splitting carries. Now you expect him to get 1300 yards receiving as well, when even the top wide receivers in the league struggle to do that well?!? Really? As a second year running back you think he'll get enough touches to do that? I'm sure he's going to get a bunch of passes but I sure would be suprised if he approaches 90 catches again this year, but if he does, he's not getting as many carries either. Not to mention, him hitting 2500 total yards, is something that no one in the history of the NFL has ever done...you expect him to do more then both LT and Steven Jackson today, or something even Barry Sanders or Marshall Faulk never did? Not to mention that last year, even with 88 catches, unheard of for such an inexperienced running back, he only got 742 yards receiving...how much do you expect that to go up, assuming he even does catch 100 balls? At his rate of yards per catch, he would need 154 catches, approximately, to hit 1300 yards receiving...good luck with that. Not to mention, even giving him about 200 carries this year, he would need a 6.0 ypc average to get the 1200 rushing yards anyway. Good Luck.

Getting to exactly 2500 yards might be difficult but Bush could come very close. To get to 2500 yards, a player needs to average 156.25 yards per game. That's not easy but it is possible. For Bush, it will depend on how much he carries the ball. I won't be surprised if he gets 200+ carries and there has been some speculation that he might end up with more carries by season's end than Deuce. So far, he's been averaging 5.8 yards this preseason. I won't even argue that he will keep that up when the real games begin but you can expect him to be right around 5 yards or a tad more. Last year in the final 8, he was at 4.8 and in the final month, 5.1. So, it remains to be seen but all I am saying is do not be surprised if he threatens Faulk's record and possibly 2500 yards.

Well jeez they only need to average 156.25 yards per game? If its so easy why haven't players like Tomlinson and Jackson, who are much better runnners, and near the caliber receiver, if not equal to that of Reggie Bush already accomplished this? Or what about Barry Sanders the most electric player of all time? Even if Bush gets 200+ Carries like you said, assuming he can get the 1300 yards receiving, which he won't He needs to get 6.0 ypc to get 1200 rushing yards, which he will not do, not matter what his preseason yards per carry is. And despite how well he may have ended up last year, he still has trouble running between the tackles, and won't be breaking off huge runs all year long. He had a 3.6 ypc average last year you really expect that to improve by a full yard and a half or two yards in order for him to break 2500 yards?

Can we wait a little bit before annointing Reggie Bush the second coming. He's a good running back, but the only way in hell he hits 2500 yards is if he gets a whole lot of special teams work as well, but thats different then doing it with just receiving and rushing yards.

TheChampIsHere
08-13-2007, 01:09 PM
im not gonna doubt anything when it comes to Reggie Bush, i could see him receiving for 1500 yards, and rewriting a lot of records. A lot of people dont give him credit cuz he is sharing time with Duce and hasnt put up fat numbers yet (not that his rookie numbers were at all bad) and they dont think hes a tuff enough inside runner....but he is just phenomenal in my mind and he is gonna set this league on fire soon enough

JK17
08-13-2007, 01:11 PM
im not gonna doubt anything when it comes to Reggie Bush, i could see him receiving for 1500 yards, and rewriting a lot of records. A lot of people dont give him credit cuz he is sharing time with Duce and hasnt put up fat numbers yet (not that his rookie numbers were at all bad) and they dont think hes a tuff enough inside runner....but he is just phenomenal in my mind and he is gonna set this league on fire soon enough

The only way he will get 1500 yards receiving is if they actaully switch his position to WR. He just won't get enough catches to do it, if he's getting about 200+ carries as well. He would need over 100 catches to hit 1500 yards, not to mention all the other WRs down in New Orleans will be taking receptions away (Colston, Henderson, Copper, Meachem, and Eric Johnson now, will all be getting there fair share of catches).

TheChampIsHere
08-13-2007, 07:45 PM
The only way he will get 1500 yards receiving is if they actaully switch his position to WR. He just won't get enough catches to do it, if he's getting about 200+ carries as well. He would need over 100 catches to hit 1500 yards, not to mention all the other WRs down in New Orleans will be taking receptions away (Colston, Henderson, Copper, Meachem, and Eric Johnson now, will all be getting there fair share of catches).

Im not saying he will do it now but at some point in his career he could do that. 100+ catches is something he could easily do, he could do it multiple times....He had about 90 catches this year and his playing time will only increase, 100+ catches is something that has been done and Bush is as good a receiver as Ive ever seen at HB and I watched Faulk in his prime and he was amazing but I cant positively say I feel like Faulk is better than Bush, of course Bush still has something to prove but theres not much doubt in my mind that he'll prove it...But anyways what im saying is he can get 100+ catches with his receiving ability and with his ability to run after the catch he can break off a lot of big gains and Im just saying I dont see it out of the realm of possibility that he could be a guy who has seasons where he gets 1200-1800 on the ground and 1000-1500 in the air, and I know those are unprecedented numbers for a guy to be putting up but that is how special of a player I feel like Reggie is.

Seasonticketholder
08-13-2007, 07:55 PM
Hmm...lets break this one down. You expect him to get over 1000 yards rushing, while splitting carries with Deuce. Let's be generous and even give him 1200 yards rushing, amazing for a second year guy, whose splitting carries. Now you expect him to get 1300 yards receiving as well, when even the top wide receivers in the league struggle to do that well?!? Really? As a second year running back you think he'll get enough touches to do that? I'm sure he's going to get a bunch of passes but I sure would be suprised if he approaches 90 catches again this year, but if he does, he's not getting as many carries either. Not to mention, him hitting 2500 total yards, is something that no one in the history of the NFL has ever done...you expect him to do more then both LT and Steven Jackson today, or something even Barry Sanders or Marshall Faulk never did? Not to mention that last year, even with 88 catches, unheard of for such an inexperienced running back, he only got 742 yards receiving...how much do you expect that to go up, assuming he even does catch 100 balls? At his rate of yards per catch, he would need 154 catches, approximately, to hit 1300 yards receiving...good luck with that. Not to mention, even giving him about 200 carries this year, he would need a 6.0 ypc average to get the 1200 rushing yards anyway. Good Luck.

Well jeez they only need to average 156.25 yards per game? If its so easy why haven't players like Tomlinson and Jackson, who are much better runnners, and near the caliber receiver, if not equal to that of Reggie Bush already accomplished this? Or what about Barry Sanders the most electric player of all time? Even if Bush gets 200+ Carries like you said, assuming he can get the 1300 yards receiving, which he won't He needs to get 6.0 ypc to get 1200 rushing yards, which he will not do, not matter what his preseason yards per carry is. And despite how well he may have ended up last year, he still has trouble running between the tackles, and won't be breaking off huge runs all year long. He had a 3.6 ypc average last year you really expect that to improve by a full yard and a half or two yards in order for him to break 2500 yards?

Can we wait a little bit before annointing Reggie Bush the second coming. He's a good running back, but the only way in hell he hits 2500 yards is if he gets a whole lot of special teams work as well, but thats different then doing it with just receiving and rushing yards.

You obviously do not read through posts or you did not read through this one. I said that Bush might come "close," not that he would actually get the 2500. I also said to do so you would have to average 156.25 yards and followed that up by saying that is not easy. Also, I do not think anyone is annointing Bush. But it is not a stretch to say that he could challenge Faulk's single season all-purpose yards record and also 2500 yards. Does not mean he will get it, but if you could see Bush this year in training camp, you would understand how my statements here are being informed. It seems like night and day as compared with last year around this time and definitely seems as if he has picked up where he left off.

Finally, Bush should not only approach 90 catches, but easily surpass it. Joe Horn is gone. Bush will be expected to pick up more of the receiving load. Again, if you knew what was going on with the Saints, you would know where my statements are coming from. The Saints fully plan to put the ball in his hands more both rushing and receiving. And the local beatwriter for the team has suggested that Bush could not only end up with more touches at the end of the season than Deuce, but also more carries at Payton wants Bush to be the "man" this year.

The Unseen
08-13-2007, 08:35 PM

Seasonticketholder = owned.

Geo
08-13-2007, 08:46 PM
2500 yards from scrimmage is a remarkable feat, and I don't like S-Jax's chances of reaching it. Reggie Bush, much less so (barring a monumental increase in touches, maybe).

08-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Reggie Bush hasn't proved jack, let alone possibly getting 2500 yards. Sure he might. So can Travis Henry. While we're at it, Cutler's gonna break every single season record this year. And our defense will not allow a single point.

Bottom line, Reggie's rushing averages include end arounds from the WR position, a luxury others don't have, and he still couldn't break a 20-yarder.

TheChampIsHere
08-13-2007, 09:20 PM
One thing about Bush is I dont think there has ever been a player quite as special as him. You can look at someone like Faulk who has an incredible skill set like Bush in that he is a great runner with great instincts, work ethic, receiving skills, understanding of the game, etc....but as great as Faulk was, he wasnt the explosive playmaker Bush is, and thats not a knock on Faulk but just out of all the guys Ive ever seen there are only a few backs who can measure up to Bush in terms of just flat out explosive playmaking ability....Barry Sanders and Gale Sayers come to mind. But neither of those guys had the receiving skills of Bush, they werent as versatile as Bush, who is right there with Faulk (who is bar-none the most versatile back in NFL history)...hes not as good of a blocker as Faulk and probably never will be but my point is he has the incredible amount of SKILL comprabable to Faulk and the incredible TALENT/PLAYMAKING ABILITY comprabable to Barry Sanders....

and then the final point is being in a good situation. Faulk was in a great situation with guys like Vermeil and Martz coaching him, Kurt Warner, Orlando Pace, Isaac Bruce, etc on his offense, it was a great situation. Then you take someone like Barry Sanders who had all the ability in the world and did great things but he could have done a lot more if he had a supporting cast....In Bush' case, he is in a great situation, good OL, pro-bowl QB, other good skill players like Deuce (perfect complement to him), Colston, etc, and then one of the games best young offensive minds coaching him. It really is an incredible situation for him and if you think about the amount of pure talent he has in addition to his skill set and the fact that he is a high character dude with a strong work ethic and good attitude....I really think he can do some things that havent been done. So when we look at some numbers that people are ruling out because they havent been done before by other players, im not gonna rule it out for Bush because I just feel like the sky is the limit for him. I look at what he did in his rookie season and watching the games I was incredibly impressed and the way I see it, its only the tip of the iceberg. Watch him for one game and its obvious that he is a special, once in a lifetime type player, just the way he moves....Consider that hes just gonna get better and cultivate more skills, get better at running inside, learn how to channel his ability/take what the defense gives him, set up his long runs, hes just gonna get better and better, be more dominant. To be honest, I am just excited to watch him throughout his career.

Jonathan_VIlma
08-13-2007, 09:27 PM
I think that is a completely false statement, in that many guys are/were versatile enough to play the role that Bush plays to the Saints. The only difference is, that Bush can't take the beating, carrying the ball on every down so they HAVE to use him in differenct ways. I'd say Sanders, Faulk, and players of the likes could easily lineup as a receiver and take the places in which Bush takes, but their coaching staffs recognized that they were better served getting the ball out of the backfield.

Don't get me wrong, Bush is a playmaker. But to say that no one has ever had his skillset or versatility is mildly unnerving.

JK17
08-13-2007, 10:30 PM
You obviously do not read through posts or you did not read through this one. I said that Bush might come "close," not that he would actually get the 2500. I also said to do so you would have to average 156.25 yards and followed that up by saying that is not easy. Also, I do not think anyone is annointing Bush. But it is not a stretch to say that he could challenge Faulk's single season all-purpose yards record and also 2500 yards. Does not mean he will get it, but if you could see Bush this year in training camp, you would understand how my statements here are being informed. It seems like night and day as compared with last year around this time and definitely seems as if he has picked up where he left off.

Whether you said come close, or surpass is irrelevant, the thought of Bush approaching 2500 yards this season is so absurd it does not deserve merit either way. If I could see Bush in training camp I would think differently? Really? No I don't think seeing Reggie Bush practice would convince me that he is going to apporach records set by Marshall Faulk, a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame. If we were judging players based on what their fans say they looked like in training camp, Vincent Jackson is the next Jerry Rice, and Eric Weddle takes over for Ed Reed right now. Everyone has good reports in Training Camp by their fans, especially the fan favorites.

Finally, Bush should not only approach 90 catches, but easily surpass it. Joe Horn is gone. Bush will be expected to pick up more of the receiving load. Again, if you knew what was going on with the Saints, you would know where my statements are coming from. The Saints fully plan to put the ball in his hands more both rushing and receiving. And the local beatwriter for the team has suggested that Bush could not only end up with more touches at the end of the season than Deuce, but also more carries at Payton wants Bush to be the "man" this year.

I think what you're trying to say is if I was wearing tinted-Saints glasses I would be able to see why Bush will approach 2500 yards. I already explained how unrealistic it is to think Bush will approach a combination of those numbers, no matter how much the New Orleans beat writer thinks he'll be "the man". Unless he's catching about 150 passes, and getting 250 rushes, he's not touching any records. But if you think he can catch 150 balls for 8 yards per catch, and rush it 250 times for about 5 ypc, when no other back in the history of the NFL has done it before, be ready to be disapointed this season.

TheChampIsHere
08-13-2007, 10:42 PM
I think that is a completely false statement, in that many guys are/were versatile enough to play the role that Bush plays to the Saints. The only difference is, that Bush can't take the beating, carrying the ball on every down so they HAVE to use him in differenct ways. I'd say Sanders, Faulk, and players of the likes could easily lineup as a receiver and take the places in which Bush takes, but their coaching staffs recognized that they were better served getting the ball out of the backfield.

Don't get me wrong, Bush is a playmaker. But to say that no one has ever had his skillset or versatility is mildly unnerving.

Im saying I dont know who has had the same combination of skills and talent. Faulk had all the skills but I think Bush is a greater talent and guys like Sanders and Sayers who have Bush's talent I dont think have the same receiving skills as Bush. Its an arguable point, but I think there is a case to be made for it.

And where does this whole Bush cant carry the load thing come from? Has he ever actually not been able to carry the load? Are we really gonna hold it against him that he had Lendale White and now Deuce on his team? Its not like Reggie is too small to be a full-time back or anything, plenty of backs who were more of scatbacks than inside runners managed to be productive full-time starters in this league I dont see why we would say Reggie cant do it. Its just that hes been on teams with good power backs to complement him and coaches who recognized his incredible talent and took advantage of it by using him in a variety of roles because with a playmaker like him you can do that. Thats a big part of what makes Reggie great, he can line up in a different place every down and be a menacing presence wherever hes at. Dont hold that against him. It makes him a nightmare for DCs.

08-13-2007, 10:52 PM
If Tomlinson or Westbrook weren't the best RBs on their team, they'd line up in the slot too. The reason Bush doesn't line up behind the QB often is simple. He's not as good as Deuce.

TheChampIsHere
08-14-2007, 12:15 AM
If Tomlinson or Westbrook weren't the best RBs on their team, they'd line up in the slot too. The reason Bush doesn't line up behind the QB often is simple. He's not as good as Deuce.

thats one hell of an assumption. Did Sean Payton tell you that personally or something? Maybe its because Payton recognizes he has 2 great backs and he wants to use them both and thus he puts Reggie all over the place because he is an absolutely menacing presence while doing this and while doing it still allowing Deuce to get touches. Not to mention Bush was a rookie last year, why would Payton want to push too much on him in his rookie year like that? The time will come when Deuce will be a FA and the Saints wont spend big bucks to keep him because they wont want to tie up so much money at one position. Reggie Bush will be the man then, he'll carry the full load. Sure, theyll bring in another power back to complement him, just because every running back needs a good backup in this day and age, but he wont demand the carries that Deuce does. (bottom line is if you have a pro-bowl type back like Deuce with his kind of talent and great attitude in his prime, you give him carries, no matter who else is on the team. And Sean Payton has done a great job of handling the situation of having 2 pro bowl type backs on his team and utilizing them both well)...Even with Deuce there, with every season Reggie will get more responsibility.

I cant understand these people ripping Reggie and acting like hes no big deal after his rookie year. He obviously showed what he is capable of, as he flat out took over some games this year and he played better and better as the year wore on. Notice in December he averaged 5.1 yards/carry. A lot of people rip him b/c of his ypc of 3.6, but if you look at it LT averaged 3.6 ypc his rookie season, rookies HBs who immediately have a major role in their offense often dont have great ypcs right away. Reggie piled up 1300 all-purpose yards, was a centerpiece of an elite offensive unit (best in terms of ypg, 5th in ppg), as NO was the surprise team of the year. I mean it was the tip of the iceberg and considering Bush's flashes of dominance throughout his rookie season there isnt much reason not to expect great things.

08-14-2007, 12:21 AM
His ypc is inflated by his ability to take end arounds, a luxury, as I said, the other backs don't have. And in what universe is Reggie a "pro bowl type back"? He hasn't done squat. He looks like he might become something good, but he is not "pro bowl type" yet. I thought all the Reggie nut huggers went away when he didn't average 8 ypc and get 50 TDs last year, guess I was wrong. You really think he's better than a guy who could make a case for best ever in Tomlinson? Or a surefire HOF in Faulk? Wait till he breaks a run over 20 yards, and averages 4 ypc while taking handoffs from behind the QB instead of from the WR position.

JK17
08-14-2007, 12:24 AM
I cant understand these people ripping Reggie and acting like hes no big deal after his rookie year. He obviously showed what he is capable of, as he flat out took over some games this year and he played better and better as the year wore on. Notice in December he averaged 5.1 yards/carry. A lot of people rip him b/c of his ypc of 3.6, but if you look at it LT averaged 3.6 ypc his rookie season, rookies HBs who immediately have a major role in their offense often dont have great ypcs right away. Reggie piled up 1300 all-purpose yards, was a centerpiece of an elite offensive unit (best in terms of ypg, 5th in ppg), as NO was the surprise team of the year. I mean it was the tip of the iceberg and considering Bush's flashes of dominance throughout his rookie season there isnt much reason not to expect great things.

I really don't think anyone is acting like Reggie Bush is no big deal, but he's being celebrated way to early. 2500 yards is ridiculous, he won't get there, no one will next year, its never been done before for a reason. He got 1300 all purpose yards last year like you said, but its not a stretch for him to double that? Really?

Also if your comparing his ability to LT it's kinda importnat to look at the difference in offenses they were playing in. LT got 3.6 ypc when he was the only player on that team, literally the only offensive threat at all, with no line whatsoever. Reggie had the benefit of a good O-Line, another great back to compliment him, an All-Pro Quarterback, and some great WRs, which really makes their situations uncomparable.

As far as the offense he is in, that's more of a knock against him I would think. Last year, the Saints had the most prolific offense in terms of yardage in the league, and he still only had 1300 all purpose yards. Is it really that realistic that he will be able to add even 1000 yards to an offense that already led the league in yardage? How much room do they have to grow? If anything a downfall should be expected from the whole team in terms of yardage.

In conclusion, I don't think anyone is doubting Bush will do great things, but some of the things being said here, like 2500 total yards, or 1500 receiving yards as well as 1200 or mroe rushing yards, just won't happen, no matter whose doing them. No matter how "explosive" Bush is, he's not the threat Tomlinson or Jackson are at this point. Both those guys are explosive receivers as well, Tomlinson is arguably just as good a threat as Bush, but none of those guys will do it either. Bush will do great things, but he's not gonna receive for 1500 yards, or break 2500 total yards, or he hasn't given enough indication he'll do so yet at least.

08-14-2007, 12:28 AM
If anyone would do it though, I'd think it would be Tomlinson. He could lead the league in rushing(say, 18-1900 yards) and if any WR or Gates gets banged up, he's even more a threat in the passing game. It's unlikely anyone does, but if I had a gun to my head, most likely would be Tomlinson.

JK17
08-14-2007, 12:30 AM
If anyone would do it though, I'd think it would be Tomlinson. He could lead the league in rushing(say, 18-1900 yards) and if any WR or Gates gets banged up, he's even more a threat in the passing game. It's unlikely anyone does, but if I had a gun to my head, most likely would be Tomlinson.

Jeez, first you complimented Rivers, now you're saying if anyone could do it it's LT....

sure you're not a closet SD fan?

:p

08-14-2007, 12:33 AM
Jeez, first you complimented Rivers, now you're saying if anyone could do it it's LT....

sure you're not a closet SD fan?

:p

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Gross, man. I'd never ever cheer for the Chargers. They could be fighting Satan's army of darkness that would plunge the earth into eternal darkness and suffering and I would be the one shouting "SATAN YEAH YOU'RE NUMBER ONE!!!". They just happen to have an excellent RB and very good QB.

*ahem*

Shawne Merriman is a roid monkey, the baby blue uniforms denote their homosexuality, Charger fans are like herpes: They pop in and out of existence.

BigDawg819
08-14-2007, 12:36 AM
Can we wait a little bit before annointing Reggie Bush the second coming.

Apparently its too late.

Well if we're making absurd and ridiculous predictions, Prescott Burgess will have 30 sacks this year. I'm mean since Reggie Bush can come close to 2500 yards since he's having a good training camp then Burgess can have 30 sacks because he's having a great training camp.

JK17
08-14-2007, 12:36 AM
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Gross, man. I'd never ever cheer for the Chargers. They could be fighting Satan's army of darkness that would plunge the earth into eternal darkness and suffering and I would be the one shouting "SATAN YEAH YOU'RE NUMBER ONE!!!". They just happen to have an excellent RB and very good QB.

*ahem*

Shawne Merriman is a roid monkey, the baby blue uniforms denote their homosexuality, Charger fans are like herpes: They pop in and out of existence.

Haha fair enough...Although I thought we'd get some support if we were fighting satan.

Eh...John Elway was just an average quarterback who got lucky late in his career...:rolleyes: ....best I could come up with.

BigDawg819
08-14-2007, 12:38 AM
Haha fair enough...Although I thought we'd get some support if we were fighting satan.

Eh...John Elway was just an average quarterback who got lucky late in his career...:rolleyes: ....best I could come up with.

I would have taken the John Elway was nothing without Terrell Davis shot, but hey thats just me. :D

JK17
08-14-2007, 12:39 AM
Apparently its too late.

Well if we're making absurd and ridiculous predictions, Prescott Burgess will have 30 sacks this year. I'm mean since Reggie Bush can come close to 2500 yards since he's having a good training camp then Burgess can have 30 sacks because he's having a great training camp.

I wouldn't rule out a 12 interception season from Weddle either this year....and don't be shocked when Vincent Jackson gets more receptions then any receiver in history...

08-14-2007, 12:54 AM
Bigdawg, JK17, for your blasphemies against Elway I have sentenced you to 3 weeks of constant neg repping from me. Let this stand as a warning to all who would dare suggest Denver is not the NFL's best team ever.

BigDawg819
08-14-2007, 01:01 AM
Bigdawg, JK17, for your blasphemies against Elway I have sentenced you to 3 weeks of constant neg repping from me. Let this stand as a warning to all who would dare suggest Denver is not the NFL's best team ever.

I was just kidding of course but yet not so much. We Baltimoreans don't forget those that disrespect us!

But hey 2 out of 5 ain't bad...........................Even though Bradshaw, Montana, Aikman, and Brady are undefeated........................ :D

JK17
08-14-2007, 01:05 AM

How could I be so foolish....

Never again will I make such a mistake!

Flyboy
08-14-2007, 01:07 AM
Ooooh God. *shakes head*

BigDawg819

I apologize as well.................. ;)

Cutler is God

TheChampIsHere
For the record, I dont think Bush will get 2500 this year, I dont expect him to come close. But I do expect he will hit that number, perhaps numerous times, throughout his career.

But yes, I am on the Bush bandwagon. You guys are saying lets wait before we annoint him the second coming of christ, but I dont feel the need to wait. Ive seen enough from him that Im convinced he is going to be a legendary type player. You can say Im buying into the hype or Reggie hasnt proved it yet or whatever and thats fine, some people need to wait for Bush to put up 2500 before they'll believe he can do it. What Im saying though, is that there is no denying Bush' talent, and none of u can say Bush isnt very capable of breaking the records, its certainly not "impossible". And seriously though, everyone needs to get off Reggie when it comes to his rookie season, everyone wants to act like hes not gonna do great things because he "only" had 1300 yards and 3.6 ypc in his rookie year. After all, it was his ROOKIE year, no one was expecting him to put up huge numbers in his rookie season, especially sharing the rock with Deuce. But from the games I watched him play, I saw all I need to feel confident he is going to be a dominant force in this league for a long time.

Flyboy
08-14-2007, 01:11 AM
For the record, I dont think Bush will get 2500 this year, I dont expect him to come close. But I do expect he will hit that number, perhaps numerous times, throughout his career.

But yes, I am on the Bush bandwagon. You guys are saying lets wait before we annoint him the second coming of christ, but I dont feel the need to wait. Ive seen enough from him that Im convinced he is going to be a legendary type player. You can say Im buying into the hype or Reggie hasnt proved it yet or whatever and thats fine, some people need to wait for Bush to put up 2500 before they'll believe he can do it. What Im saying though, is that there is no denying Bush' talent, and none of u can say Bush isnt very capable of breaking the records, its certainly not "impossible". And seriously though, everyone needs to get off Reggie when it comes to his rookie season, everyone wants to act like hes not gonna do great things because he "only" had 1300 yards and 3.6 ypc in his rookie year. After all, it was his ROOKIE year, no one was expecting him to put up huge numbers in his rookie season, especially sharing the rock with Deuce. But from the games I watched him play, I saw all I need to feel confident he is going to be a dominant force in this league for a long time.

Ehhh... I'm probably one of the biggest Bush supporters on the board. I was a huge fan of his as a prospect and when he fell to my favorite team's lap... well, it was surreal. That said, people are going to look at him one of two ways it seems so when it comes to him I try to avoid discussing him because it always end a tremendous debate with neither side changing their opinion.

BigDawg819
08-14-2007, 01:12 AM

I think Reggie is an enormous talent but I won't annoint him the next Faulk until he proves he can do it by himself like Faulk did. Reggie had great success at USC, but with the help of Lendale White, he had an awesome rookie campaign in New Orleans, but with the help of Deuce McAllister. Reggie needs to show that when given the opportunity, he can carry the load by himself and I don't see it happening what with the drafting of Pittman from OSU. Reggie will always be flashy but never the guy in an offense and thats why I don't see him coming close to 2500 yards in a year without the help of return yardage ala a Brian Mitchell and with Reggie's talent I don't see him staying on the return team for years to come.

BigDawg819
08-14-2007, 01:13 AM
Ehhh... I'm probably one of the biggest Bush supporters on the board. I was a huge fan of his as a prospect and when he fell to my favorite team's lap... well, it was surreal. That said, people are going to look at him one of two ways it seems so when it comes to him I try to avoid discussing him because it always end a tremendous debate with neither side changing their opinion.

Welcome to the world of individuality.

JK17
08-14-2007, 01:13 AM

You think he's better then Tomlinson thought based on what you've seen, or even Steven Jackson? Or Marshall Faulk, Barry Sanders, etc. all the greats? Because by saying 2500 is within range, your saying he's surpassed or will surpass all those players, and there is no way to justify that, whatsoever at this point in his career. No its not impossible that he breaks the records. Its not impossible LT or SJ don't do it either. But they won't , because its so damn improbable. In LT's best season (yardage wise) he had about 1650 yards and about 700 receiving yards, which gave him about 2350 yards....you think Reggie Bush can alredy pass LT's best season, one in which he had 100 catches and 300+ carries? Even last year in LT's record setting year, arguably one of the best seasons ever by a RB, he had 1815 yards and 508 receiving yards, a total of 2323 yards....you think Bush can top that? He's given no reason whatsoever to show he can.

Dominant Force? Yeah Probably. The Greatest ever, as some of these predictions would indicate he is? Hell No.

Flyboy
08-14-2007, 01:14 AM
Welcome to the world of individuality.

Please. There's individuality and there's just being stubborn and close-minded. Nice try, though.

TheChampIsHere
08-14-2007, 01:24 AM
You think he's better then Tomlinson thought based on what you've seen, or even Steven Jackson? Or Marshall Faulk, Barry Sanders, etc. all the greats? Because by saying 2500 is within range, your saying he's surpassed or will surpass all those players, and there is no way to justify that, whatsoever at this point in his career. No its not impossible that he breaks the records. Its not impossible LT or SJ don't do it either. But they won't , because its so damn improbable. In LT's best season (yardage wise) he had about 1650 yards and about 700 receiving yards, which gave him about 2350 yards....you think Reggie Bush can alredy pass LT's best season, one in which he had 100 catches and 300+ carries? Even last year in LT's record setting year, arguably one of the best seasons ever by a RB, he had 1815 yards and 508 receiving yards, a total of 2323 yards....you think Bush can top that? He's given no reason whatsoever to show he can.

Dominant Force? Yeah Probably. The Greatest ever, as some of these predictions would indicate he is? Hell No.

Well, yes, I think Reggie Bush at the end of the day will be among the top 5-10 running backs to ever play the game, and he could end up being considered the best ever....Im not gonna say I think he'll be better than LT, because if LT keeps up what hes doing, he could go down as the greatest ever. I will however confidently predict that he will be better than the likes of Larry Johnson and Steven Jackson. Truth is, this is a matter of opinion, how good we think Bush will turn out to be, and its largely guesswork...And yes, there are plenty of reasons to believe Bush will indeed be as good as I say.

Packers-Cardinals
08-14-2007, 01:25 AM
Well, yes, I think Reggie Bush at the end of the day will be among the top 5-10 running backs to ever play the game, and he could end up being considered the best ever....Im not gonna say I think he'll be better than LT, because if LT keeps up what hes doing, he could go down as the greatest ever. I will however confidently predict that he will be better than the likes of Larry Johnson and Steven Jackson. Truth is, this is a matter of opinion, how good we think Bush will turn out to be, and its largely guesswork...And yes, there are plenty of reasons to believe Bush will indeed be as good as I say.

Correction. If LT continues to do what he's been doing, he will go down as the best ever.

JK17
08-14-2007, 01:25 AM

And there's plenty of reasons to think he'll be just another good player. You could make an argument for Steven Jackson to be that good too, but its more likely he won't. It's hard to be that good, but who knows. Bush could do it. But it's way to early to say he is now....but its your opinion.

TheChampIsHere
08-14-2007, 01:35 AM
do me a favor and dont act like Jackson is just as talented as Bush. Obviously Bush is one of the most talented players weve ever seen. Whether he turns that into becoming one of the greatest players weve ever seen is another matter, and you dont need to look any farther than Vick to see that being a once in a lifetime talent doesnt necessarily add up to greatness. But dont downplay Reggies talent, as if hes just another good running back, hes obviously a special player.

JK17
08-14-2007, 01:37 AM
do me a favor and dont act like Jackson is just as talented as Bush. Obviously Bush is one of the most talented players weve ever seen. Whether he turns that into becoming one of the greatest players weve ever seen is another matter, and you dont need to look any farther than Vick to see that being a once in a lifetime talent doesnt necessarily add up to greatness. But dont downplay Reggies talent, as if hes just another good running back, hes obviously a special player.

I'm not trying to say Jackson necesarily has the same physical tools, as in speed as Bush, but as far as running backs go, he's done just as much as Bush has so far. I didn't mean to imply they were equally talented, Bush was such a highly touted prospect for a reason, but in terms of what they will actually accomplish its much more likely Jackson hits the 2500 then Bush, in my opinion at least.

TheChampIsHere
08-14-2007, 02:11 AM
Well Bush has only been in the league 1 year so how is it fair to compare them like that? Jackson has had 3 years. And it took Jackson until his 3rd to really bust out. He played well in his first 2 years but it took him til his 3rd year to become a star player. And also, it is not just speed that Bush has over Jackson and the rest of the running backs. I shouldnt have to explain it...if youve seen him run you should understand that he is just a special player, he has the "it" factor. Yes, hes fast as lightning but lets not simplify his talent to that. After all, Michael Bennett had the speed also, his talent cant even compare to Reggies though.

Seasonticketholder
08-14-2007, 10:59 AM
His ypc is inflated by his ability to take end arounds, a luxury, as I said, the other backs don't have. And in what universe is Reggie a "pro bowl type back"? He hasn't done squat. He looks like he might become something good, but he is not "pro bowl type" yet. I thought all the Reggie nut huggers went away when he didn't average 8 ypc and get 50 TDs last year, guess I was wrong. You really think he's better than a guy who could make a case for best ever in Tomlinson? Or a surefire HOF in Faulk? Wait till he breaks a run over 20 yards, and averages 4 ypc while taking handoffs from behind the QB instead of from the WR position.

That is not true. Bush did not have as many end arounds as you think. In fact, I only count three, all three ending up in touchdowns. He the one against Pittsburgh, the one against the Giants and the one against the Falcons where he tossed it back to Devery Henderson who scored. Most of the time, he would fake the end around and Drew would just hand the ball to Deuce. In fact, a lot of Saints fans were upset that he was not given the ball more on end arounds rather than just being used as a decoy on the play.

Also, who said he was better than Faulk or Tomlison? Some people truly hate...I am going to bookmark this thread and we'll talk as season's end.

Seasonticketholder
08-14-2007, 11:06 AM

Exactly! Bush is either loved or hated. It's pathetic. It takes away all objectivity. Bush seems like the only player whose entire career has been judged based on the first half of last season. People forget that Tomlison only averaged 3.6 yards a carry his first season. Of course, the response to that will be that he had a poor supporting cast whereas Bush was surrounded by stars. Problem is, Tomlison line, outside of McNeil, has not really changed much. Also, who knew that Marques Colston would blow up? Who thought that Deuce would come back from an ACL injury and do well given all the players that did not? Who thought Drew Brees would be healthy enough to play last season, particularly at the level he did? Who thought that Devery Henderson would prove to be a big play threat after sitting on the bench for his first two seasons in the league? Who thought that Terrance Copper, a player cut by the Cowboys at the end of training camp, would contribute the way he did? The Saints did it with cast-offs and unknowns and a great deal of that was because of Bush's presence on the team and Brees' recovery. But revisionist will go back and say that the Saints had so many stars on the team. Well, that's funny given that EVERY publication predicted them to go like 3-13 and to look anemic on both offense and defense.

Point is, you cannot judge a player based on one season or one half of a season since Bush was much improved in the second half of last year and looks to be even better this year. But so it goes. We'll just have to wait until the end of the season and, ultimately, his career, to see what type of player he becomes.

JK17
08-14-2007, 11:28 AM
Exactly! Bush is either loved or hated. It's pathetic. It takes away all objectivity. Bush seems like the only player whose entire career has been judged based on the first half of last season. People forget that Tomlison only averaged 3.6 yards a carry his first season. Of course, the response to that will be that he had a poor supporting cast whereas Bush was surrounded by stars. Problem is, Tomlison line, outside of McNeil, has not really changed much.

Okay, Bush is not either loved or hated by everyone, but speaking of taking away objectivity, you don't think being on Reggie Bush's nuts is taking away your objectivity in the matter? How many times, in this thread alone have I said he's a special player, but 2500 yards is out of reach. Just because everyone isn't on their knees for Reggie Bush, or crowning him the greatest of all time yet, doesn't mean people don't appreciate his talent or abilities. The fact that you would even compare LT to Bush at this point in his career is insulting, Reggie has done nothing to show that he belongs in the same sentence as LT. Your ypc argument is unfair, you keep ignoring the obvious differences in the situation.

Their Quarterbacks for instance. Having a good Quarterback means teams have to focus on things other then you. It means you have more freedom and the defense can't pay as much attention to you.
Doug Flutie vs. Drew Brees
Flutie had 15 touchdowns, and 18 interceptions that season, not exactly an intimidating prescence at quarterback. The Saints had Drew Brees, who had 26 TD's and 11 interceptions, threw for 1000 more yards then Flutie, and and completed ten percent more of his passes. They are uncomparable.

Another back in the backfield. Even if the Saints did have equal quarterbacks, Bush's attention was split in half, because he benefited from another star player in the backfield Deuce McAllister. Deuce had 244 carries for over 1000 yards, and ten touchdowns. Quite the attention grabber. You know who LT got to split attention with his rookie year? Terrell Fletcher. Who got 27 carries for 109 yards and 0 TD. Not quite the same benefit there either.

What about their offensive lines....Tomlinson's hasn't changed much? Olivea drafted in 2004. Goff, brought in through free agency. Hardwick drafted in 2004. Dielman undrafted free agent...Not sure of the year but after 2001. McNeill rookie drafted in 2006. Everyone of those people are different from his rookie year, so I don't know where you think that Tomlinson has his same line, but you are sorely misinformed. No, there is no way Tomlinson's 2001 O-Line approached What Bush had in 06. I can't find names or remember them, but I'm not dumb enough of a fan to not know that up until last year, San Diego's line never really accomplished anything at all.

That's not saying Bush isn't a good runningback. But his 2006 season is not comparable in anyway to Tomlinson's 2001, so don't compare them.

Also, who knew that Marques Colston would blow up? Who thought that Deuce would come back from an ACL injury and do well given all the players that did not? Who thought Drew Brees would be healthy enough to play last season, particularly at the level he did? Who thought that Devery Henderson would prove to be a big play threat after sitting on the bench for his first two seasons in the league? Who thought that Terrance Copper, a player cut by the Cowboys at the end of training camp, would contribute the way he did? The Saints did it with cast-offs and unknowns and a great deal of that was because of Bush's presence on the team and Brees' recovery. But revisionist will go back and say that the Saints had so many stars on the team. Well, that's funny given that EVERY publication predicted them to go like 3-13 and to look anemic on both offense and defense.

Cast-offs and unkowns? Drew Brees and Deuce McAllister??!?! Drew Brees was let go becasue management wanted Rivers, not because anyone felt Brees wasn't a good quarterback. It's his performance that boosted the wide receivers, who were unknowns, save Joe Horn, to the level they were at. Not Reggie Bush, unless you want to explain to me how Reggie Bush made Colston, Copper, and Henderson all better. Deuce was a former all-pro running back, and he returned to a good level, don't make it sound like the guy was a nobody tahts ridiculous.

Point is, you cannot judge a player based on one season or one half of a season since Bush was much improved in the second half of last year and looks to be even better this year. But so it goes. We'll just have to wait until the end of the season and, ultimately, his career, to see what type of player he becomes.

Jesus, you can't judge him on a half season, exactly. So don't go around bragging that Bush is the best thing since sliced bread, because he had one good half season. And I don't care what he looks to be, because all that means is he's having a good camp. Tons of players have good camps, and nothing changes once the season starts.

And again, don't take this as a shot, that Reggie Bush isn't good or anything, but comparing him to Tomlinson, like you just did, or saying you can't judge him on half a season, when you've done the same, just with the other half.

08-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Brandon Marshall will be better than Jerry Rice. Don't even argue with it. From what I saw last year, he makes amazing catches and can break big runs after the catch. He's a surefire HOF, I bet he can get 2500 receiving yards with the best QB ever, Jay Cutler, throwing to him. Oh, and Jarvis Moss will destroy the sack record, Marcus Thomas is better than Warren Sapp ever was, and Travis Henry is going for 2000 yards this year. Don't even argue it, you know it will happen.

BigDawg819
08-14-2007, 12:03 PM
Brandon Marshall will be better than Jerry Rice. Don't even argue with it. From what I saw last year, he makes amazing catches and can break big runs after the catch. He's a surefire HOF, I bet he can get 2500 receiving yards with the best QB ever, Jay Cutler, throwing to him. Oh, and Jarvis Moss will destroy the sack record, Marcus Thomas is better than Warren Sapp ever was, and Travis Henry is going for 2000 yards this year. Don't even argue it, you know it will happen.

Man that could arguably be the greatest Madden season ever! :D

TheChampIsHere
08-14-2007, 02:11 PM

mr. sarcasm....lol

Lets see Reggie Bush has been one of the most highly touted players at every level, he had an incredible college career, won the heisman, went at the top of the draft, is obviously one of the most talented backs weve ever seen and had a strong rookie year. yet youre comparing people predicting Bush to be an incredible player to Brandon Marshall and Jarvis Moss? get real man

08-14-2007, 02:19 PM
mr. sarcasm....lol

Lets see Reggie Bush has been one of the most highly touted players at every level, he had an incredible college career, won the heisman, went at the top of the draft, is obviously one of the most talented backs weve ever seen and had a strong rookie year. yet youre comparing people predicting Bush to be an incredible player to Brandon Marshall and Jarvis Moss? get real man

Ryan Leaf was a highly touted player who had a great college career and went at the top of the draft. And I wouldn't call Bush's rookie year strong, it was decent(as a runner. And that's what he is, a running back). For a strong rookie year, IMO he'd need to get over 4 ypc(especially in that offense) and break a run over 20 yards at least once. Like Mike Bell, for instance. And had a much better rookie year as a runner. And he was undrafted.

TheChampIsHere
08-14-2007, 02:23 PM
A point about the Saints last year....

There is a reason no one expected them to do anything last year. yes, this is mostly because of the huge lack of talent on their defense and Bush had nothing to do with that. The fact is there defense was still pretty bad and for them to win like they did they needed their offense to be flat-out spectacular, which it was.

And not to take anything away from Brees, Deuce, Colston and the rest, but to me Bush was really the centerpiece of that offense. Did he get the rock every play, did he put up huge numbers? no and no. but like Ive been saying this dude was a menacing presence all game no matter where he lined up at, there is no better decoy than Reggie Bush. When they run inside to Deuce and fake outside to Reggie, you dont think that opens things up inside for Deuce and defenders are forced to go commit to containing Reggie. The defense absolutely had to account for him every play no matter where he was at and accounting for Reggie aint easy because I dont know that there is a player in this league who can handle Reggie 1 on 1. What Im saying is, I dont think the Saints sniff the playoffs without Reggie last year, because what is their offense without him? A good, efficient QB, a good power runner and a good possesion receiver. Wheres the playmaker in the offense? Wheres the explosion? Take away Bush and the NO offense starts to look more like the Raven offense.

bored of education
08-14-2007, 02:32 PM
I think The Armadillo could have a great career, and might be that guy that is said to be the 2nd best running back post 2000. 15,000 yards for his career (of course barring health) is clearly not unrealistic.

TheChampIsHere
08-14-2007, 02:33 PM
Ryan Leaf was a highly touted player who had a great college career and went at the top of the draft. And I wouldn't call Bush's rookie year strong, it was decent(as a runner. And that's what he is, a running back). For a strong rookie year, IMO he'd need to get over 4 ypc(especially in that offense) and break a run over 20 yards at least once. Like Mike Bell, for instance. And had a much better rookie year as a runner. And he was undrafted.

ummm are you joking? OK yeah busts happen, but what indication is there that Reggie will be a bust? As a runner? I mean honestly are you stupid? Reggies 700 receiving yards dont count because his position says running back? So I guess Marshall Faulk wasnt one of the greatest of all time because he got so many of his yards receiving. Get outta here with all your ridiculous homerism saying Mike Bell had a batter rookie year. Bush piled up 1300 all purpose yards, same as Maurice Drew, almost double Mike Bell. And he was the centerpiece of one of the best offenses in the NFL for a team that was the surprise team of the year based on the strength of that. He completely took over a number of games and down the stretch he was looking scary and averaged 5.1 y/c in december. Where people get the idea Bush didnt have an outstanding rookie season I have no clue, because he was spectacular.

Flyboy
08-14-2007, 03:21 PM

Okay, let's not get things too twisted here. Bush is far more than just a runningback, period. Hell, his other aspects that he brings EXCEED what he brings to the table as a runningback at this point in his career -- but he IS a weapon that has to be accounted for every time he's on the field. If he was merely a "runningback" he wouldn't have went #2 overall in the draft -- he went so highly because he's a threat to take it to the house every time he touches the football whether it be on an off-tackle play, lined up in the slot, or as a punt returner. Hell, I'm willing to bet money that if Bush was merely just a WR prospect he still would have went in the first round. So, to just pigeon-hold him into just the position of "runningback" is silly and it takes away from what he does on the field. When he learns to take what the defense gives him on running plays and just get 2-3 yards instead of negative 5 yards (which he has worked diligently on this offseason), he'll become a complete weapon.

JK17
08-14-2007, 05:31 PM
ummm are you joking? OK yeah busts happen, but what indication is there that Reggie will be a bust? As a runner? I mean honestly are you stupid? Reggies 700 receiving yards dont count because his position says running back? So I guess Marshall Faulk wasnt one of the greatest of all time because he got so many of his yards receiving. Get outta here with all your ridiculous homerism saying Mike Bell had a batter rookie year. Bush piled up 1300 all purpose yards, same as Maurice Drew, almost double Mike Bell. And he was the centerpiece of one of the best offenses in the NFL for a team that was the surprise team of the year based on the strength of that. He completely took over a number of games and down the stretch he was looking scary and averaged 5.1 y/c in december. Where people get the idea Bush didnt have an outstanding rookie season I have no clue, because he was spectacular.

First of all, Bush didn't have more all-purpose yards then Joseph Addai, who combined for over 1400 rushing/receiving yards, so why isn't he in this argument, if 1300 is such an indicator he's going to break out just as well. Reggie's 700 receiving yards inidicate he's not as great a running back as he is a receiver. Which means some of the things being said, like him getting 1200 rushing yards with 1500 receiving yards are hard to imagine just now, and in alll likelihood, will never happen. That's great that he averaged 5.1 y/c in december. What did he do the rest of the time, like the first half of the season? You can't jus disregard half of the season because it wasn't as recent.

There's absolutley zero reason right now to believe that Bush could do some of the things you said he could. Everytime there's an argument over Bush, his supporters feel like if you're not saying he's gonna re-write record books your "hating". Reggie Bush will be a good weapon, but he's not going to re-write records. He's not going to receiver for 1500 yards a year, and he probably won't rush for it either. 88 catches is already a lot, and even if you expect him to improve upon it, he needs about 156 cathces, using his ypc from last season, to hit 1300 yards, that in addition to enough work to get 1200 yards rushing as well. It's just not going to happen.

He looked good his rookie year. But he wasn't a God.

JK17
08-14-2007, 05:33 PM
Okay, let's not get things too twisted here. Bush is far more than just a runningback, period. Hell, his other aspects that he brings EXCEED what he brings to the table as a runningback at this point in his career -- but he IS a weapon that has to be accounted for every time he's on the field. If he was merely a "runningback" he wouldn't have went #2 overall in the draft -- he went so highly because he's a threat to take it to the house every time he touches the football whether it be on an off-tackle play, lined up in the slot, or as a punt returner. Hell, I'm willing to bet money that if Bush was merely just a WR prospect he still would have went in the first round. So, to just pigeon-hold him into just the position of "runningback" is silly and it takes away from what he does on the field. When he learns to take what the defense gives him on running plays and just get 2-3 yards instead of negative 5 yards (which he has worked diligently on this offseason), he'll become a complete weapon.

I would say he's far less then just a running back, and far more a wide receiver. Just because he's not good at running the ball, and has talents recieving it, doesn't mean he's more then a running back, it means he's better suited in other roles. And why do you think he would'nt have been drafted so high if he was "just a running back". There have been plenty of running backs drafted in the numbe two spot, who were just running backs. Reggie Bush, right now, is an average runner, and an above average receiver. But to say he's more then a runningback would imply he already has mastered being a running back, which he hasn't.

Packers-Cardinals
08-14-2007, 05:40 PM

Reggie Bush is not a natural running back. He's a wide receiver playing running back. Reggie Bush got by an athletic ability in college. The holes his lineman created were open longer than in the NFL and once he got to the safeties, he was gone. In the NFL, as we habe all seen, you can't get by on just athletic ability.

Flyboy
08-14-2007, 05:40 PM
I would say he's far less then just a running back, and far more a wide receiver. Just because he's not good at running the ball, and has talents recieving it, doesn't mean he's more then a running back, it means he's better suited in other roles. And why do you think he would'nt have been drafted so high if he was "just a running back". There have been plenty of running backs drafted in the numbe two spot, who were just running backs. Reggie Bush, right now, is an average runner, and an above average receiver. But to say he's more then a runningback would imply he already has mastered being a running back, which he hasn't.

Okay, you're completely acting like Bush in entirely INCAPABLE of running the football at all which is not true. He's by far not one of the best of running the ball through the tackles in the league, but you're acting like he's some chump lined in the backfield. He had a decent game against the Giants being merely a "runningback". I'm not acting like he's mastered the position of being a runningback which is obviously false, but he does have the capability of playing that position even if it isn't his strong suit.

You bring up the fact of other runningbacks being soley picked at #2 -- that also has a lot to do with the prospects in the draft. Ronnie Brown was also picked #2 overall... had Brown & Bush been in the same draft, I would be willing to bet that Bush would have been higher than Brown because he IS more than a runningback.

You know what "label" fits Bush the best? Weapon.

JK17
08-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Okay, you're completely acting like Bush in entirely INCAPABLE of running the football at all which is not true. He's by far not one of the best of running the ball through the tackles in the league, but you're acting like he's some chump lined in the backfield. He had a decent game against the Giants being merely a "runningback". I'm not acting like he's mastered the position of being a runningback which is obviously false, but he does have the capability of playing that position even if it isn't his strong suit.

You bring up the fact of other runningbacks being soley picked at #2 -- that also has a lot to do with the prospects in the draft. Ronnie Brown was also picked #2 overall... had Brown & Bush been in the same draft, I would be willing to bet that Bush would have been higher than Brown because he IS more than a runningback.

I didn't say he's incapable I said he's average as a runningback, which I don't think you can doubt. By runningback I mean purely running the ball. I know, trust me I know, that's not the only way to judge him, because it eliminates a lot of what he does, but when it comes to just being a running back, he's average, at best.

When it comes to receiving the ball, yes it makes him a better player of course. But its misleading to say he's more then a running back, when he's barely a running back at all. How many running backs typically get 88 catches in their rookie years? Not many, and there are two reasons he gets so many passes. The first is it plays to his strengths, and the second is, he can't be effective from the running back position, running the ball, as well as other people can. Which is why he's not "more then a running back", but just a mixture of an average running back, and a good receiver. He probably would have been drafted higher then Ronnie Brown, look at the prospect he was, there's no denying his athletic ability, but like its been said, that won't always translate, and he's limited in terms of running the ball because he's relied on his pure athletic abilities for so long.

EDIT: I missed the part about WEAPON, in your post, it didn't quote. I'd definitely agree with that, which is kinda what I'm trying to say. That he can't be lumped as more then a running back, or less then a wide receiver. Weapon is more fitting. But he's not a weapon whose gonna get 2500 total yards he just won't. He'll be explosive yeah, but he's not there yet.

Flyboy
08-14-2007, 05:54 PM
"EDIT: I missed the part about WEAPON, in your post, it didn't quote. I'd definitely agree with that, which is kinda what I'm trying to say. That he can't be lumped as more then a running back, or less then a wide receiver. Weapon is more fitting. But he's not a weapon whose gonna get 2500 total yards he just won't. He'll be explosive yeah, but he's not there yet."

Yeah, it hit me at the very end so I edited it. I never mentioned that I thought Bush could get 2500 yards, but yeah, I guess we came to a mutual ground of the discussion.

JK17
08-14-2007, 05:58 PM
"EDIT: I missed the part about WEAPON, in your post, it didn't quote. I'd definitely agree with that, which is kinda what I'm trying to say. That he can't be lumped as more then a running back, or less then a wide receiver. Weapon is more fitting. But he's not a weapon whose gonna get 2500 total yards he just won't. He'll be explosive yeah, but he's not there yet."

Yeah, it hit me at the very end so I edited it. I never mentioned that I thought Bush could get 2500 yards, but yeah, I guess we came to a mutual ground of the discussion.

Yeah, the 2500 yard part was more directed at the posts of other people, not so much yours. Mutual ground should be fine for now.

amag
08-14-2007, 06:08 PM
no way he does it with brian leonard on the team now, id say 1400 - 1500 yards rushing and 500 - 600 yards recieving for jackson

and brain gets about 400 - 500 yards rushing and 300 - 400 recieving

Seasonticketholder
08-14-2007, 07:42 PM
This thread is no longer worth my commentary. As far any Reggie Bush discussion, I will see you all in January.