PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best 3-4 ilb?

goodlookin
08-14-2007, 07:48 PM
When i think of other schemes the top linebackers come to mind but i cant even begin to determine the top 2 or 3 ILB. The other systems are so obvious but this position escapes my grasp. Looking for some input.
cover 2-brooks briggs urlacher
3-4 olb- merriman, ware, suggs, porter

Maybe farrior or vilma for Ilb. Im a pats fan and i have high expectations for thomas but he needs to produce before someone can proclaim him the best.

TimD
08-14-2007, 07:53 PM
not vilma... he's a cover 2 4-3 linebacker forced to play in a 3-4... he's still solid there though... his stats went down but if you watch he still is a game changer

Freddy G
08-14-2007, 07:58 PM
Leon Williams...well, give him a couple years.

Ray Lewis has to be it, even though the Ravens don't always play the 34.

Andra Davis makes a lot of tackles, but that is because no one else will and normally they are away from the los and he isn't much of an impact player. Good leader though.

Jonathan_VIlma
08-14-2007, 08:04 PM
It was formally James Farrior, but I believe Pittsburgh is changing their front, no? If Brandon Moore of San Fran is an ILB, then it's him, but he plays all over. Other then that is has to be Ray Lewis, but it's rather easy to fly around the field with Haloti Ngata and Kelly Gregg in front of you.

steelernation77
08-14-2007, 08:18 PM
It was formally James Farrior, but I believe Pittsburgh is changing their front, no? If Brandon Moore of San Fran is an ILB, then it's him, but he plays all over. Other then that is has to be Ray Lewis, but it's rather easy to fly around the field with Haloti Ngata and Kelly Gregg in front of you.

No (10 Characters)

Jonathan_VIlma
08-14-2007, 08:27 PM
No (10 Characters)
Well then my vote goes to James Farrior, atleast as far as consistency (sp?) has gone the past couple years.

keylime_5
08-14-2007, 08:29 PM
Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher would be the best 3-4 ILBs if in fact their teams actually ran a 3-4. Vrabel and Bruschi are good, particularly Vrabel, but he has been an ROLB most of his career in N.England. In a year or two it's gonna be Patrick Willis hands down.

TimD
08-14-2007, 08:33 PM
leon williams will be solid... whats the deal with d'quill jackson?

goodlookin
08-14-2007, 08:34 PM
I completely agree p. willy is gonna tear it up. I also think david harris is going to be a nasty thumper who has just enough athlectism to get to the edge on outside runs and hurt people. And Deossie would of been a sick ilb but the giants had to take him.

remix 6
08-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Adalius Thomas.

SFbear
08-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Whoever's standing behind Jamal Williams.

neko4
08-14-2007, 09:10 PM
what are some traits of a 3-4 ILB anyway, i dont pay to much attention to teh scheme

08-14-2007, 09:25 PM
what are some traits of a 3-4 ILB anyway, i dont pay to much attention to teh scheme

You have to be larger and stronger than a 4-3 MLB. Essentially.

kalbears13
08-14-2007, 09:31 PM
leon williams will be solid... whats the deal with d'quill jackson?

he's good but leon's better and more of a playmaker.

08-14-2007, 09:36 PM
he's good but leon's better and more of a playmaker.

You actually think Leon is better than D'Quell?

kalbears13
08-14-2007, 09:37 PM
You actually think Leon is better than D'Quell?

I can't really say because I rarely watch the Browns games on the westcoast. That's what I've gotten though from what I've heard.

08-14-2007, 09:40 PM
I can't really say because I rarely watch the Browns games on the westcoast. That's what I've gotten though from what I've heard.

Leon does not have nearly the potential Jackson has. But, because of Jackson's build he is not the ideal 3-4 ILB.

D-Unit
08-14-2007, 09:41 PM
Donnie Edwards has had a helluva career. Not sure if he's the best now, but he's been the best.

Teddy Bruschi has been a rock.

remix 6
08-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Donnie Edwards has had a helluva career. Not sure if he's the best now, but he's been the best.

Donnie isnt in a 3-4 anymore iwth Chiefs

Bruschi had a major down year last season

Bohleive
08-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Bart Scott says hello.

08-14-2007, 09:55 PM
Scott had a breakout year last year, lets just see if he can continue it.

nobodyinparticular
08-14-2007, 09:57 PM
When i think of other schemes the top linebackers come to mind but i cant even begin to determine the top 2 or 3 ILB. The other systems are so obvious but this position escapes my grasp. Looking for some input.
cover 2-brooks briggs urlacher
3-4 olb- merriman, ware, suggs, porter

Maybe farrior or vilma for Ilb. Im a pats fan and i have high expectations for thomas but he needs to produce before someone can proclaim him the best.

Porter 2 years ago was a good OLB in the 3-4, but not anymore.

If I were needing 2 LBs to play for my 3-4, I would consider James Farrior, Donnie Edwards and Ray Lewis my top 3 choices. (considering past/recent performance in the scheme)

Ravens1991
08-14-2007, 10:03 PM
I wouldnt call Adalius Thomas the best yet, lets see him play a game before he is called that, I will admit he probably will be in the discussion but I dont think he is yet.

JoeMontainya
08-14-2007, 10:10 PM
Whoever honestly thinks Leon Williams is better than Jackson is just in love with his measurables, speed, etc...

If he was actually better, why is this the 2nd consecutive year Jackson has beaten him out for the position? Leon has played in no more than 5 games and only 1 of them impressed me. He has little to no football instincts at the NFL level as of now and is playing completely off of athletic ability. He wasnt even the starter in college for unknown reasons. He has had a fair chance so far and DqWell is the guy so.....

Dont get me wrong he has a bright future, but he isnt even a starter on the Browns.

JoeMontainya
08-14-2007, 10:13 PM
I wouldnt call Adalius Thomas the best yet, lets see him play a game before he is called that, I will admit he probably will be in the discussion but I dont think he is yet.

Adalious doesnt impress me. He is the typical Ravens LB playing alongside Ray Lewis. How many of these guys can the Ravens produce? Sharper, Boulware, Hartwell, Scott, Thomas, Suggs, and I know for a fact there are others. Theres just certain teams that are made for LB's to be successful.

BigDawg819
08-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Ah another insert your favorite linebacker from your hometeam thread...........

bigbluedefense
08-14-2007, 10:17 PM

Yuppers.

This is too basic of a question. It doesn't take into account the style of 3-4 being played.

Ultimately, the NT dictates what the ILBs can and can't do, and what type of ILBs you can use in your system.

This question can have a complex answer. My simple answer is Zach Thomas, but it really really depends on a # of factors.

scottyboy
08-14-2007, 10:20 PM
Yuppers.

This is too basic of a question. It doesn't take into account the style of 3-4 being played.

Ultimately, the NT dictates what the ILBs can and can't do, and what type of ILBs you can use in your system.

This question can have a complex answer. My simple answer is Zach Thomas, but it really really depends on a # of factors.

in other words, BBD is the defensive scheme genius who knows all, dont question him.

BBD, when you become HC/DC of the Giants, promise me to hire Armstead as your LB coach, ok?

7-11
08-14-2007, 10:55 PM
Ah another insert your favorite linebacker from your hometeam thread...........

Gary Brackett......oh wait

08-14-2007, 11:12 PM
Andy Katzenmoyer....oh, ****!

CC.SD
08-15-2007, 12:41 AM

Word. (ten chars)

SenorGato
08-15-2007, 02:34 AM
I never realized how underrated Brandon Moore was until this thread.

Check out his past couple of seasons...few ILB in the 3-4 are as productive as this guy.

They do move him around alot though...

no love
08-15-2007, 03:30 AM
I never realized how underrated Brandon Moore was until this thread.

Check out his past couple of seasons...few ILB in the 3-4 are as productive as this guy.

They do move him around alot though...

First of all the poster needs to differentiate between the Strongside ILB (Mike) and the weakside (Will) as they are two different positions with different responsibilities.

Right now, anyone who has seen Moore play knows he is a top 3-4 Mike ILB. He penetrates better than anyone on the team and plays with a high motor and can be dominant and take over games. In the 4-3 his impact is limited bc of his coverage deficiencies. But when he is allowed to play downhill he is dominant.

Right now, the best Will would probably be someone like Vilma or Thomas. But in two years it will be Willis :-)

awfullyquiet
08-15-2007, 04:41 AM
Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher would be the best 3-4 ILBs if in fact their teams actually ran a 3-4. Vrabel and Bruschi are good, particularly Vrabel, but he has been an ROLB most of his career in N.England. In a year or two it's gonna be Patrick Willis hands down.

Urlacher? Uh. sure, he may have the physical stats to, but if he was bred in a 3-4 he'd be better, but his ability to penetrate the line has never been spectacular (or rarely done, i don't really know which)... sure, i've seen him blow up the center sometimes, but most the time he bounces off them and hits RB's at the LOS with his supurb tackling technique. and that's why he's so good. not because he can penetrate like merriman...

bored of education
08-15-2007, 07:23 AM
Brandon Moore is solid, Bart Scott is sick. Donnie Edwards for a time was elite. I love Vrable as an ILB

Freddy G
08-15-2007, 08:38 AM
Whoever honestly thinks Leon Williams is better than Jackson is just in love with his measurables, speed, etc...

If he was actually better, why is this the 2nd consecutive year Jackson has beaten him out for the position? Leon has played in no more than 5 games and only 1 of them impressed me. He has little to no football instincts at the NFL level as of now and is playing completely off of athletic ability. He wasnt even the starter in college for unknown reasons. He has had a fair chance so far and DqWell is the guy so.....

Dont get me wrong he has a bright future, but he isnt even a starter on the Browns.

Did you even watch the Browns games last year...or hear what Romeo had to say about him.

All D'Qwell did was make tackles 5-10 yards down the field because Andra was to slow to get there. Not a single impact play. No ints, no sacks, no FF, no fumble recoveries, zip nada zilch. Just tackles.

Leon comes in for 5 games notches 40 some tackles a sack, FF, FR, and an astounding 2 pass break ups. And if you would have watched the games, you would have known he live in the opponents backfield and made a great deal of his plays at or behind the los. Romeo as said they can't figure out why he didn't play at Miami, and something to the affect of "they must not like to put their best talent on the field" (you look up the exact quote. Maybe a Canes fan can fill us in. While i agree his instincts are lacking, he reacted quickly last year and progressed each game. Romeo loves his potential, and that potential is nearly limitless.

Btw, he hasn't had his fair shot yet either. Romeo doesn't believe players should lose their job because of injury. So D'Qwell gets the start this year. I am not saying D'Qwell is bad, he just isn't/will not be as good as leon, and belongs in a 4-3.

DMWSackMachine
08-15-2007, 11:11 AM
To me, ILB in a 3-4 is kind of a lost position. There are not many "lifers" at that position, mostly just guys who have been converted because their team wanted to take advantage of the pass rush advantage that comes from running an odd front. In this scheme--especially in the current climate--the OLBs are the real stars, and ILBs kinda just thump away and do the dirty work.

Even guys like Thomas, Moore, Ray Ray, Scott etc play in hybrid schemes where they really aren't full time ILBs, but play in that lineup depending on matchups, down and distance, or other circumstantial factors.

Really, Farrior, Foote, Bruschi, Vrabel(who has played a ton outside lately), and maybe a couple others are the only vets I can think of that have been ILBs in this scheme for their careers, and have thrived in it. Most others are converted 4-3 backers who were probably a little better in their previous scheme, but were forced into the change. Every ILB I've ever heard talk about it has said that they would prefer to play in the 4-3, and that includes Ray, Vilma, Thomas, Bradie James, and others. It is kinda like the red-headed step child of defensive positions these days.

I have high hopes for Brooks, though. He seems like the perfect guy for the scheme. I hope he develops.

JoeMontainya
08-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Did you even watch the Browns games last year...or hear what Romeo had to say about him.

All D'Qwell did was make tackles 5-10 yards down the field because Andra was to slow to get there. Not a single impact play. No ints, no sacks, no FF, no fumble recoveries, zip nada zilch. Just tackles.

Leon comes in for 5 games notches 40 some tackles a sack, FF, FR, and an astounding 2 pass break ups. And if you would have watched the games, you would have known he live in the opponents backfield and made a great deal of his plays at or behind the los. Romeo as said they can't figure out why he didn't play at Miami, and something to the affect of "they must not like to put their best talent on the field" (you look up the exact quote. Maybe a Canes fan can fill us in. While i agree his instincts are lacking, he reacted quickly last year and progressed each game. Romeo loves his potential, and that potential is nearly limitless.

Btw, he hasn't had his fair shot yet either. Romeo doesn't believe players should lose their job because of injury. So D'Qwell gets the start this year. I am not saying D'Qwell is bad, he just isn't/will not be as good as leon, and belongs in a 4-3.

Romeo knows the 3-4 deffense more than anyone on this site, and for the second straight year he has selected Dqwell to be his MLB and not Leon WIlliams. I think that says enough.

Williams had 29 solo tackles and 13 assisted tackles over a 10 game period. Most coming on special teams except the last 3 games of the year.

so your quote of "Leon comes in for 5 games notches 40 some tackles a sack, FF, FR, and an astounding 2 pass break ups." IS WRONG.

And ill restate what I said early for the rest of the Browns homers who think our 3rd MLB is one of the best in the game/or will be..........His instincts are horrible! He makes plays because he is a free lancer, much like Lavar Arrington and is rarely in position when he needs to be. Hes still young so Im not knocking him, Im knocking Freddy for thinking he is king ****.

FYI Freddy is the same poster that would fight with me all offseason swearing Leon Williams would be an outside LB, and obviously he is wrong on that aswell and I thank god I dont have to listen to it any longer.

Hey Freddy, remember when you said Williams would be taking over for McGinest and promissed it came from Savages mouth? Welll.......Willie is hurt and Peek is backing him up, and Thompson is the other back-up.....NO WILLIAMS.

draftguru151
08-15-2007, 07:52 PM
Yuppers.

I can always count on you BBD. The lack of Thomas in this thread depresses me. The fact that Vilma and Urlacher were mentioned depresses me as well.

JoeMontainya
08-15-2007, 07:57 PM
[QUOTE=JoeMontainya;562935]Romeo knows the 3-4 deffense more than anyone on this site, and for the second straight year he has selected Dqwell to be his MLB and not Leon WIlliams. I think that says enough.

Williams had 29 solo tackles and 13 assisted tackles over a 10 game period. Most coming on special teams except the last 3 games of the year.

so your quote of "Leon comes in for 5 games notches 40 some tackles a sack, FF, FR, and an astounding 2 pass break ups." IS WRONG.

And ill restate what I said early for the rest of the Browns homers who think our 3rd MLB is one of the best in the game/or will be..........His instincts are horrible! He makes plays because he is a free lancer, much like Lavar Arrington and is rarely in position when he needs to be. Hes still young so Im not knocking him, Im knocking Freddy for thinking he is king ****.

FYI Freddy is the same poster that would fight with me all offseason swearing Leon Williams would be an outside LB, and obviously he is wrong on that aswell and I thank god I dont have to listen to it any longer.

Hey Freddy, remember when you said Williams would be taking over for McGinest and promissed it came from Savages mouth? Welll.......Willie is hurt and Peek is backing him up, and Thompson is the other back-up.....NO WILLIAMS.

"Btw, he hasn't had his fair shot yet either. Romeo doesn't believe players should lose their job because of injury. So D'Qwell gets the start this year. I am not saying D'Qwell is bad, he just isn't/will not be as good as leon, and belongs in a 4-3."

What do you mean he hasnt had a fair shot? They were both rookies last year fighting for a job, and there really wasnt a quetion on who should have won it last year. This year they come in with the same situation, and Dqwell is still the starter.

I hate being a Browns fan and forced to listen to other Browns fans thinking everyone on our team is great, and cant understand why we dont win.

Jonathan_VIlma
08-15-2007, 08:12 PM
I can always count on you BBD. The lack of Thomas in this thread depresses me. The fact that Vilma and Urlacher were mentioned depresses me as well.It's tough to really see Thomas as a true 3-4 ILB though, because Miami plays a more hybrid defense where they switch back and forth. Kind of like how Baltimore plays, where they really don't have one specific base. This isn't an argument for Vilma at all so don't think I'm just backing him up, because he was less then mediocre last year.

Vikes99ej
08-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Bradie James is pretty good.

The Legend
08-15-2007, 08:33 PM
i wonder if we will ever see and amazing ILB 3-4 dou

Zach Thomas is a free agent next year maybe he would end up

with another great ILB

Mr. Stiller
08-15-2007, 08:40 PM

with another great ILB

How many more seasons can Zach Thomas play?

I think Foote/Farrior are a decent duo.. Farrior being outstanding and Foote being solid to above average.

Though too bad We drafted Timmons to replace Farrior ... Timmons/Farrior duo could have been pretty sweet.

I wish we'd draft 2 more LBs in the 1st two rounds this year.. Vernon Gholston and Ezra Butler..

All four of our starting LB's with pass rushing experience, Gholston, Butler having dominating careers in the NCAA for both Passrushing and run stopping.

JoeMontainya
08-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Gholston is going to be scary good if hes lucky enough to go to a 3-4 team.

draftguru151
08-15-2007, 08:59 PM

with another great ILB

Channing Crowder says hello. He isn't a top 5 MLB but he is a stud.

Also the Dolphins run a lot of 3-4, and if they are in a 4-3 it's more of a 4-3 over.

Vikes99ej
08-15-2007, 09:00 PM
Gholston is going to be scary good if hes lucky enough to go to a 3-4 team.

I know you're not talking about as an ILB.

Freddy G
08-15-2007, 09:27 PM
Romeo knows the 3-4 deffense more than anyone on this site, and for the second straight year he has selected Dqwell to be his MLB and not Leon WIlliams. I think that says enough.

Joe, your the reason people don't give Browns fans any credit. Look at the ******* game by game logs, ALL of Leons plays and the vast majority of his tackles came in the last 4 games. As for fair chance, we are talking about a coach who started Joe Andruzzi and Cosey Coleman all 16 games when they blew balls and couldn't have been any better than the guys on the bench. Plus, Romeo said at the end of last season that D'Qwell would get first crack at his job since he was injured. And your bashing Leon's instincts, which he showed to be every bit as affective as D'Qwell's last season. Point, neither's were very good.

Dig up where i said anything about Leon playing OLB, oh that's right, you can't since i never ******* said it. I have always said Leon is a clear cut ILB in the 34.

Oh, and i am king **** especially compared to you and ignorance.

Mr. Stiller
08-15-2007, 11:20 PM
I know you're not talking about as an ILB.

He's not, but Gholston... IMO... Could be nearly as good as Merriman in the sack department while being better in coverage and against the run game.

Vikes99ej
08-15-2007, 11:27 PM
He's not, but Gholston... IMO... Could be nearly as good as Merriman in the sack department while being better in coverage and against the run game.

Preachin' to the choir.

Mr. Stiller
08-15-2007, 11:37 PM
Preachin' to the choir.

Which is Why I want the Steelers to draft him.

Hines
08-16-2007, 12:18 AM
zach thomas!!!!!!!!!

and im not a dolphin fan
man makes plays

Xenos
08-16-2007, 02:00 AM

Donnie unfortunatly was a OLB forced to play the ILB role. He was decent at it but he couldn't shed blocks or stop the run without getting dragged for five yards.
Matt Wilhelm is going to an improvement.

Larry
08-16-2007, 02:29 AM
Brandon Moore is not the best 3-4 ILB but he's pretty underrated and I think he's ready to break out. Moore is one of better the 3-4 ILB's I've seen at shedding blocks and getting into the backfield.

Packers-Cardinals
08-16-2007, 11:45 AM
In the 3-4, isn't one ilb more run oriented and the other ilb more pass oriented?

Right now I'd have to say Tedy Bruschi.

Turtlepower
08-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Patrick Willis, by the end of this year...

binary
08-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Brandon Moore is not the best 3-4 ILB but he's pretty underrated and I think he's ready to break out. Moore is one of better the 3-4 ILB's I've seen at shedding blocks and getting into the backfield.

Well, it looks like Moore just got demoted for a guy who blatantly s*cks in Derek Smith, I don't really get it.

MasterShake
08-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Well, it looks like Moore just got demoted for a guy who blatantly s*cks in Derek Smith, I don't really get it.

Moore was demoted because of Willis, Smith was just switched to Moores position so Willis could play the spot he is more suited to play.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Moore take over for Smith at some point this season, but he has value as a 3rd down pass rusher as well. Smith is playing ahead of Moore, but he brings alot of veteran leadership ontop of his steady, but unspectacular, play.

ccB
08-21-2007, 09:23 PM
Scott had a breakout year last year, lets just see if he can continue it.

Umm, 05 was his breakout year and this just in it continued through 06. Hes proven his worth.

thebow305
08-21-2007, 09:33 PM
Channing Crowder says hello. He isn't a top 5 MLB but he is a stud.

Also the Dolphins run a lot of 3-4, and if they are in a 4-3 it's more of a 4-3 over.

Agreed. We do have Zach Thomas playing a bit out of position though. He's not a great fit in the 3-4 but the dude is a vet and just continues to make plays regardless.

Ray Lewis and Bart Scott are an elite ILB duo. If Crowder continues to progress, Thomas and Crowder may give them a run for their money.

I have a feeling the new tandem of David Harris and Jon Vilma will be pretty solid as well for the Jets.

ccB
08-21-2007, 09:43 PM
I dont understand all the hate for the Ravens. To me Bart Scott and Ray Lewis are better than a lot of the guys being named here. I mean P Willie is a stud but hes not near their caliber yet, Moore has potential but again hes not there yet. It seems to me a lot of people on these boards are enamored with the young guys. I suppose it has to do with this being a draft site but some of these young guys you are talking about are not up to the level some of the veterans are (not just the ravens duo)

PalmerToCJ
08-21-2007, 09:52 PM
Unfortunately a few of the top 5 guys reside in the AFCN.

DeathbyStat
08-22-2007, 08:39 AM
I'm sure who the best is but Larry Foote and James Farrior are very solid.

I know was a long time ago but Farrior was in the Argument for 2004 Defensive player of the year

The Legend
08-22-2007, 09:55 AM
i think Jeremiah Trotter could do pretty well ILB in a 3-4 defence