PDA

View Full Version : Canada to Mexico trip

7-11
08-14-2007, 07:54 PM
Early next year im planning a backpacking holiday with a couple of mates starting in Vancouver (a bit of snowboarding) and travelling south down the west coast as the weather warms up ending up travelling around mexico by early summer. Im going to have about US$12 000 to last as long as possible (hopefully 6 months-ish) so naturally im going to be on a typical 19 year olds budget. Id just love to hear some input of cities to pass through or things to do considering we have pretty much no idea beyond my initial plans in Vancouver (snowboarding, drinking and some rugby with a local club we lined up last time i was there for a rugby tour)

slightlyaraiderfan
08-14-2007, 08:05 PM
I don't know much in Cali above San Francisco, but Frisco is a good tourist city, it's very unique. Yosemite is also around there, if youre into nature and stuff. South of that is Santa Barbara, cool beach city and below that you have LA and Orange County. Lots of beaches, theme parks, and lots of things, just depends what youre into.

How far south into Mexico are you planning to go?

Brent
08-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Board at Mt. Shasta (http://www.skipark.com/), it's in Northern California. I used to live near by in Redding, CA. It's a cheap place and has some good runs.

Damix
08-14-2007, 08:12 PM
12000 for 6 months? How is that a typical budget?

M.O.T.H.
08-14-2007, 08:14 PM
I wish I had $12,000.

7-11
08-14-2007, 08:17 PM
12000 for 6 months? How is that a typical budget?

you rip through the money while travelling so easily, oh and that is including airfares. $3000 gone

Board at Mt. Shasta, it's in Northern California. I used to live near by in Redding, CA. It's a cheap place and has some good runs.

thats the kind of attitude im looking for, thanks for the help guys

7-11
08-14-2007, 08:21 PM
I don't know much in Cali above San Francisco, but Frisco is a good tourist city, it's very unique. Yosemite is also around there, if youre into nature and stuff. South of that is Santa Barbara, cool beach city and below that you have LA and Orange County. Lots of beaches, theme parks, and lots of things, just depends what youre into.

How far south into Mexico are you planning to go?

Not really planning on being the typical tourist, just lookin to have shitloads of fun. we all surf/snowboard so thats a priority.

the Mexico idea is a late addition after a few of our mates just got back from a europe/north america/asia trip cause they said they loved it so we dont know too much at this stage. but our main priorities are good surf and party culture if that helps with any suggestions?

TimD
08-14-2007, 08:25 PM
you rip through the money while travelling so easily, oh and that is including airfares. $3000 gone

wait 3000 for airfare????

7-11
08-14-2007, 08:30 PM
wait 3000 for airfare????

Sydney to Vancouver, havent booked yet but ive been looking and that seems about the average for return tickets

YouNeverKnow
08-15-2007, 02:00 AM
If you are arriving in Vancouver near a weekend, it is fairly easy to hitchhike up to Whistler in Feb - Mar. Just look for cars full of boards and easiest to get rides at the gas stations just before the highway since its hard for people to stop on the highway to pick you up. Same thing going back down back to Vancouver, easiest to get rides on Sunday and Mondays. I think the Bus is like 80 bucks to Whistler from Vancouver airport if you are looking to spend the money instead, and usually you need reservations if you are going in the busy season.

Look for cheap hostels / hotel rooms in the lower part of the Whistler village, if you go up near the lifts looking for hotel rooms you'll spend money pretty fast, but its pretty easy to get to and from the lifts from down there. But you want to make reservations early as possible as Whistler can be a zoo around February.

In Vancouver I'd recommend going to a Canucks game at GM place, esspecially if you could watch one against another Canadian team. Not too expensive if you drink before hand at a downtown pub and get some cheap nosebleed seats, hockey is just a sport you need to watch live. As well, theres good fresh food at Grandville (sp?) island in the summer, not sure if anything is really available in the winter though.

Taking the ferry across to Victoria can be a cool trip for a day or two but not a whole lot to do in the winter as far as I know, plus its pretty expensive.

Sounds like an awesome trip though.

7-11
08-15-2007, 06:10 PM
If you are arriving in Vancouver near a weekend, it is fairly easy to hitchhike up to Whistler in Feb - Mar. Just look for cars full of boards and easiest to get rides at the gas stations just before the highway since its hard for people to stop on the highway to pick you up. Same thing going back down back to Vancouver, easiest to get rides on Sunday and Mondays. I think the Bus is like 80 bucks to Whistler from Vancouver airport if you are looking to spend the money instead, and usually you need reservations if you are going in the busy season.

Look for cheap hostels / hotel rooms in the lower part of the Whistler village, if you go up near the lifts looking for hotel rooms you'll spend money pretty fast, but its pretty easy to get to and from the lifts from down there. But you want to make reservations early as possible as Whistler can be a zoo around February.

In Vancouver I'd recommend going to a Canucks game at GM place, esspecially if you could watch one against another Canadian team. Not too expensive if you drink before hand at a downtown pub and get some cheap nosebleed seats, hockey is just a sport you need to watch live. As well, theres good fresh food at Grandville (sp?) island in the summer, not sure if anything is really available in the winter though.

Taking the ferry across to Victoria can be a cool trip for a day or two but not a whole lot to do in the winter as far as I know, plus its pretty expensive.

Sounds like an awesome trip though.

thanks alot man, some good ideas in there. will probably end up on Vancouver island a fair bit actually, went on a rugby tour and played against Cowichan rugby club (on vancouver island) and got an invite back, should be pretty sweet

SubNoize
08-15-2007, 06:37 PM
if you're going straight down the coast into mexico i'd say hit up rosarito mexico. it's not your typuical tourist town and it has a great night life. Rock and Roll Taco and Papa's and Beer are awesome and there's also a sweet beach filled with hot Californian women

7-11
08-15-2007, 06:50 PM
if you're going straight down the coast into mexico i'd say hit up rosarito mexico. it's not your typuical tourist town and it has a great night life. Rock and Roll Taco and Papa's and Beer are awesome and there's also a sweet beach filled with hot Californian women

that there is what im talking about, thanks dude

Rob S
08-15-2007, 07:28 PM
If u surf, Puerto Escondido in Mexico is a must. Sick waves.

7-11
08-15-2007, 08:22 PM
If u surf, Puerto Escondido in Mexico is a must. Sick waves.

oh dont you worry, that is definitely on our list