PDA

View Full Version : Runningbacks at Big Schools

TimD
08-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Why do these guys who have a good chance at making the nfl go to the big schools with a ridiculous amount of rbs on the depth chart... yes i know they do it so they can get the national spotlight and be a national championship contender... but if i was in their shoes i'd choose a school like a Rutgers, Arkansas, etc... where i could be the starter as a soph instead of going to USC, Michigan, etc... where i MIGHT start as a senior...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/specials/preview/2007/08/14/running.backs0820/
The cold truth for Bradford is that he'll need to keep making special plays like that to earn even a modest number of touches this season. No other team has more depth at any one position than USC has at tailback, where Bradford will compete with nine other former high school phenoms for the right to be the feature back on the nation's top team.

just saying

duckseason
08-14-2007, 10:02 PM
Why do these guys who have a good chance at making the nfl go to the big schools with a ridiculous amount of rbs on the depth chart... yes i know they do it so they can get the national spotlight and be a national championship contender... but if i was in their shoes i'd choose a school like a Rutgers, Arkansas, etc... where i could be the starter as a soph instead of going to USC, Michigan, etc... where i MIGHT start as a senior...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/specials/preview/2007/08/14/running.backs0820/

just saying

Yeah, I agree it's become kinda ridiculous at SC. But hey, just because you don't start doesn't mean you won't get a shot in the NFL. I know of a few Ducks backup QB's who made it to the NFL with minimal playing time at Oregon. The NFL knows who's capable of playing in the league. If they're good enough, they'll get a shot. But I agree. Why not go to UCLA?

Michigan
08-14-2007, 10:19 PM
You have to remember that 99% of these prospects are completely obliterating their high school competition and have the mindset that noone can beat them for a starting spot since they've dominated all their lives.

scottyboy
08-14-2007, 10:20 PM
wow, Rutgers considered a big school for football. never thought I'd see the day. does a heart good.

Michigan
08-14-2007, 10:22 PM
wow, Rutgers considered a big school for football. never thought I'd see the day. does a heart good.

reread the first post...

"but if i was in their shoes i'd choose a school like a Rutgers, Arkansas, etc... where i could be the starter as a soph instead of going to USC, Michigan, etc... where i MIGHT start as a senior..."

badgerbacker
08-14-2007, 10:26 PM
You have to remember that 99% of these prospects are completely obliterating their high school competition and have the mindset that noone can beat them for a starting spot since they've dominated all their lives.Exactly, the coaches are telling each player that, if he is the best player, he's going to play. After being better than everyone you've played your entire life along with probably being full of yourself, you believe that you can beat out all of the other high school all-americans.

VY10
08-15-2007, 03:59 PM
1. All of them think they are the best because they have been the best their entire lives.
2. They don't have to be the #1 RB to get drafted. You can split time and still get picked. Look at Lendale/Reggie. Jones/McFadden will both be picked high.
3. Rutgers is in Jersey,... Arkansas is in Arkansas,..... Southern Cal is in California....
4. At some schools, like USC, you only need to start for 1 year. You are playing against top notch competition every day in practice and NFL scouts know that. Starting for 4 years can actually hurt your draft stock because a RB has only so many runs in his joints/knees.
5. These kids are competitive and want to win. Going to USC or Michigan they are going to win. At Rutgers/Arkansas there is not guarantee... both probably will not be that good before long.

VY10
08-15-2007, 04:00 PM

Hate to ruin your day but he kind of said the opposite.

TACKLE
08-15-2007, 05:07 PM
The main reason all these RB recruits choose SC is that they'd rather have a chance to play in the National Championship Game then the Texas or Capitol One Bowl. A good college career doesn't necessarily mean a chance to play in the NFL. If you compare it to the NFL, would you rather split carries in New England and have a chance to get a ring or be the feature back for the Lions and pick in the Top 10 every year? I know what team I'd pick.

Turtlepower
08-15-2007, 05:17 PM
The main reason all these RB recruits choose SC is that they'd rather have a chance to play in the National Championship Game then the Texas or Capitol One Bowl. A good college career doesn't necessarily mean a chance to play in the NFL. If you compare it to the NFL, would you rather split carries in New England and have a chance to get a ring or be the feature back for the Lions and pick in the Top 10 every year? I know what team I'd pick.

Barry Sanders disagrees with you...

cardsalltheway
08-15-2007, 05:19 PM

That's not really the same thing since teams other than USC aren't exactly the Lions and being a feature back means a better chance at a future in the NFL.

Turtlepower
08-15-2007, 05:21 PM
That's not really the same thing since teams other than USC aren't exactly the Lions and being a feature back means a better chance at a future in the NFL.

And more money...

http://www.banccertifiedmaryland.net/imiges/RainingMoney.gif

504 to ATL
08-16-2007, 03:54 AM
I would be shocked if a number of them did not transfer within 2 years.

Michigan
08-16-2007, 07:35 AM
I would be shocked if a number of them did not transfer within 2 years.

that's always what happens. when adrian peterson signed with oklahoma, tashard choice and courtney tennial transferred out. last year, choice and tennial led their teams (GTech and Tulsa) in rushing and combined for a total of 28 TD's.

Finsfan79
08-16-2007, 08:52 AM
USC and FSU pay better then the small schools do :P

Seriously though there is alot of reasons to go to a ND, Michigan, Penn State, Da U, FSU, UF, UG, etc etc etc

Big time schools and all get more exposure for their players. They believe they can beat out folks and they have history of successful running backs.

When I think USC football I think of OJ
When I think UM football I think of Portis or McGhee, Edge, etc etc etc

You can go down the list school by school of course and find top flight talents at lot of these programs with the traditions. Remember colleges are about more then football as well. From the atmosphere to the enviroment where they are at. (If you had the chance to look at hotties on south beach or the crappy NJ shore, which would you pick really?). No Offense to New Jersey but I think the weather and women here are bit, more ... yep :) Same could be said for UCLA or USC.

You can find a lot of reasons for them to go there. Also the locations where the schools are play a big part if the kid grew up a michigan fan you really think he will go to Ohio State or Penn State? That would be the same as a Miami Fan going to UF or FSU. Or visa versa

marks01234
08-17-2007, 11:23 AM
High school kids just generally make stupid decisions.

How many running backs or quarterbacks go to smaller schools just so they can play their position, instead going to a headline school as a defensive back or something else? Then after 4 years and a decent college career they find out that they are nowhere close to being an NFL prospect at their position.

neko4
08-17-2007, 11:27 AM
You have to remember that 99% of these prospects are completely obliterating their high school competition and have the mindset that noone can beat them for a starting spot since they've dominated all their lives.

exactly, and one of them goes to my school

TimD
08-18-2007, 11:07 PM
a few days after i make this thread moody says hes transferring out of USC haha

BrownsTown
08-18-2007, 11:22 PM
It's just a mess. I mean, why the heck would McKnight go there? He won't get much of a chance, and it's not like you can't make it as a small school RB. Ladanian Tomlinson anyone?

Sniper
08-19-2007, 12:06 AM
It's just a mess. I mean, why the heck would McKnight go there? He won't get much of a chance, and it's not like you can't make it as a small school RB. Ladanian Tomlinson anyone?

It's not just about PT. For Christ's sake I'd love to go to USC. Great weather, amazing women, a chance to win the NC every year, terrific education. It's not always about being a starter. McKnight went there because he knows he's so good he'll get the ball on PR, KR, Slot Receiver, Tailback,.

benchod
08-19-2007, 12:36 AM

You try to say no to a school that says they'll use you like they used Reggie Bush, especially after having seen Reggie perform in your home state for the past year. After all the comparisons were made between McKnight and Bush, why wouldn't you want to go play for the school that created the legend that is Reggie.

And TCU isn't necessarily a small school, but I see your point in that regard.

I still don't get why Green stayed committed to SC after Tyler and McKnight committed.

BrownsTown
08-19-2007, 12:40 AM
You try to say no to a school that says they'll use you like they used Reggie Bush, especially after having seen Reggie perform in your home state for the past year. After all the comparisons were made between McKnight and Bush, why wouldn't you want to go play for the school that created the legend that is Reggie.

I still don't get why Green stayed committed to SC after Tyler and McKnight committed.

Yea, McKnight might not be the best example, but all the others at USC. Moody may just be the first in a big wave of transfers.

Sniper
08-19-2007, 01:44 AM

Exactly. Hey Joe, we used Reggie in all these different ways and all it got him was 1 1/2 national titles, 1 Heisman, a fifth place finish in the Heisman race as a sophomore, a 6 year 50 million dollar deal as the #2 pick in the NFL Draft and some serious name recognition which in turn led to a truckload of endorsement deals. We'll use you the same way. Wanna come?

Tell me if you're not Joe McKnight you don't ask to sign right away.