PDA

View Full Version : Buy or sell the hype

bored of education
08-15-2007, 07:33 AM
Selling
1. Patriots wide receiver and line backing 'cores'.
2. Calvin Johnson - one year from now I may.
3. Brady Quinn - Joe Average type career no matter what team he is on, won't bust and won't be great.

Buying
1. Marshawn Lynch - BEASTLY
2. Denver - Cutler, Walker, Henry, Champ, DJ, Bly, Graham, etc
3. Dallas - Oddly enough being that I do not want to say this, I think this team will be very good. MB3, Romo, Spencer, Newman etc
4. Steven Jackson

08-15-2007, 08:21 AM
The Patriots offensive numbers will never be explosive, but I do expect the passing attack to have the efficiency that it had in 2004.

Paul
08-15-2007, 10:07 AM
I don't really see that much hype around Quinn, as much as it is pessimism by the knowledgeable football fan. From what I've read around here, and different football blogs, the expectation for Quinn is not that great.

BuckNaked
08-15-2007, 10:15 AM
I don't really see that much hype around Quinn, as much as it is pessimism by the knowledgeable football fan. From what I've read around here, and different football blogs, the expectation for Quinn is not that great.

I mean, the man is no Derek Anderson.

RyanLeaf#1
08-15-2007, 10:32 AM
I dont see Dallas being good at all this year.

princefielder28
08-15-2007, 10:33 AM
I dont see Dallas being good at all this year.

That wouldn't be b/c you live in Philly would it????

RyanLeaf#1
08-15-2007, 10:49 AM
That wouldn't be b/c you live in Philly would it????

Im actually a huge Colts fan and hate the Eagles. Dont get me wrong I love Philly. But the worst part about this city is the Eagles.

goodlookin
08-15-2007, 11:06 AM
henry is going to be dominant, lynch would tear it up except he has to play three playoff caliber defenses twice a year, pats recievers are gonna be sick and if they dont draft some linebackers in the upcoming draft then all of the other signings were useless.......romo will be the cowboys demise

jag
08-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Selling:
The Patriots
The Lions
The Chargers

Buying:
The Broncos
The 49ers
The Vikings (even though theres really no hype)

SubNoize
08-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Selling:
The Patriots
The Lions
The Chargers

Buying:
The Broncos
The 49ers

how do you sell the Chargers and buy the Broncos? I'll guarantee the Chargers win the division and the Broncos place 2nd but still win a wild card.

neko4
08-15-2007, 12:05 PM
Selling:
JAMARCUS RUSSELL
I really think he's a bust

Buying:
Brandon Jackson :)

jag
08-15-2007, 12:20 PM
how do you sell the Chargers and buy the Broncos? I'll guarantee the Chargers win the division and the Broncos place 2nd but still win a wild card.

Two words...

Norv Turner

Vikes99ej
08-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Selling: the Minnesota Vikings not winning the Super Bowl

Buying: the Minnesota Vikings winning the Super Bowl

RyanLeaf#1
08-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Selling:
JAMARCUS RUSSELL
I really think he's a bust

Buying:
Brandon Jackson :)

Im definitely selling Russell. Hes trying to get as much money as he can now because he knows this is gonna be his only NFL contract.

princefielder28
08-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Buying
1. Dallas Cowboys
2. St. Louis Rams
3. Denver Broncos

Selling
1. San Diego Chargers
2. New York Jets
3. Tennessee Titans (in comparison to what they did last year)

SubNoize
08-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Two words...

Norv Turner

has never had a real team to work with... like the raiders and redskins gave him much chance for success.

GB12
08-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Selling the 49ers. I really doubt they will win the division, but everyone seems to be picking them. It would not surprise me one bit to see them finish 3rd behind St. Louis and Seattle.

Addict
08-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Two words...

Norv Turner

yea it's not like Frank Gore flourished while he was offensive co÷rdinator and some analysts claim that the devellopment of both Gore and Alex Smith will suffer because he is gone or anything.

why aren't we buying Calvin Johnson?

PoopSandwich
08-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Buying: Steven Jackson hype, Calvin Johnson, Brady Quinn (Not really a homer pick considering I thought he would be sweet before he was even drafted by Cleveland.)

Unsure - Saints/49'rs

Selling - Baltimore Ravens, Detroit Lions, Rex Grossman, Ted Ginn Jr.

Addict
08-15-2007, 02:18 PM
Buying: Steven Jackson hype, Calvin Johnson, Brady Quinn (Not really a homer pick considering I thought he would be sweet before he was even drafted by Cleveland.)

Unsure - Saints/49'rs

Selling - Baltimore Ravens, Detroit Lions, Rex Grossman, Ted Ginn Jr.

lol do we actually have a hype? The lions hype.. we may not pick in the top 10 this year!!! whooo-hoooo!

P-L
08-15-2007, 02:49 PM
lol do we actually have a hype? The lions hype.. we may not pick in the top 10 this year!!! whooo-hoooo!
Other than Peter King (who hypes us up every year) who is hyping us up? Certainly not any Lions fans on here.

Addict
08-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Other than Peter King (who hypes us up every year) who is hyping us up? Certainly not any Lions fans on here.

exactly the only thing that has been said (by lions fans and football fans alike) is that the lions improved over last year, which isn't hard since we were the second-worst team in the league. Not really a hype in my book.

jag
08-15-2007, 02:55 PM
yea it's not like Frank Gore flourished while he was offensive co÷rdinator and some analysts claim that the devellopment of both Gore and Alex Smith will suffer because he is gone or anything.

why aren't we buying Calvin Johnson?

IMO he's the best offensive coordinator in the game today. But one he's one of the worst head coaches.

Addict
08-15-2007, 02:59 PM
IMO he's the best offensive coordinator in the game today. But one he's one of the worst head coaches.

hmmm I see. Same thing goes for Wade Philllips?

jag
08-15-2007, 03:04 PM
hmmm I see. Same thing goes for Wade Philllips?

I'm really undecided on Wade Phillips. He wasn't quite the failure that Norv was as a coach. If I'm not mistaken his record was above .500.

fenikz
08-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Buying:
The Pats being the Best team in the NFL

Willis McGahee having a huge season for the Ravens

The Panthers being the best team in the NFC

The Cardinals finishing at least .500

Selling:
The Cowboys. I see no reason why they should be considered a contender

Frank Gore, he will be only average this year(still 1000 yards)

Carson Palmer having a 75% completion rate(I'll go 69%)

Windy
08-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Buying:

Broncos win the AFC West

Selling:

Randy Moss jersey that is in my closet

Average OT LB
08-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Buying:
Jay Cutler
Eli Manning
Reggie Bush
Calvin Johnson
Selling:
Tom Brady getting 30tds
Larry Johnson
The NFC North
Shawne Merriman

princefielder28
08-15-2007, 03:32 PM

Skip Bayless

KILLERSANTA
08-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Selling:
Pats
Jay Cutler(He's a god on this website)
Eli Manning

Sniper
08-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Buying:

McNabb staying healthy
Calvin Johnson
Reggie Bush making a quantum leap
Pats

Selling:

Tony Romo
The Niners
Sean Considine being better

joercky
08-15-2007, 04:12 PM
Buying: Steel Curtain D
Bruce Arians offense
Marion Barber
Laugh if you want but the Dirty Birds should be .500
NFC South
Wes Welker
Cleo Lemon has a rocket arm
Selling: Julius Jones
Donte Stallworth too injury prone
Washington Foreskins
49ers look at the Dan Snyder from years past signs every free agent but still sucks year in and year out
Titans receivers
Trent Green as QB of the 'Fins

keylime_5
08-15-2007, 04:15 PM
Selling
1. Patriots wide receiver and line backing 'cores'.
2. Calvin Johnson - one year from now I may.
3. Brady Quinn - Joe Average type career no matter what team he is on, won't bust and won't be great.

Johnson is a must buy. He'll be the best WR in the league 5 years from now. Pats' WR corps is gonna be great, not just b/c of Moss, but b/c of Moss+Stallworth+Dwight+Caldwell. Thomas/Vrabel/Bruschi/Colvin is probably the 1st or 2nd best LB corps in the NFL. Quinn is gonna be a many time pro bowler and will turn the Browns around. I'm buying what you're selling :)

Dam8610
08-15-2007, 04:17 PM

You need to take out that "on this website" part. ;)

Paul
08-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Buying: Steel Curtain D
Bruce Arians offense
Marion Barber
Laugh if you want but the Dirty Birds should be .500
NFC South
Wes Welker
Cleo Lemon has a rocket arm
Selling: Julius Jones
Donte Stallworth too injury prone
Washington Foreskins
49ers look at the Dan Snyder from years past signs every free agent but still sucks year in and year out
Titans receivers
Trent Green as QB of the 'Fins

Who the hell is buying Julius Jones? Who is hyping him up? He has been an underachiever since his rookie year. Fans have already grown tired of his ineptness the past few years.

Crazy_Chris
08-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Selling:
The Patriots
The Lions
The Chargers

Buying:
The Broncos
The 49ers

Ah i can tell you are a smart guy :)..... As for my list

Selling:
New Orleans Saints- I do believe they are a decent team i'm just not buying them as a legit SB contender as the media hypes

San Francisco 49ers- Improving for sure but the Seahawks are just too good in the NFC West right now plus theres the Rams to compete with and they are going to be pretty damn good too.

Buying:
Philadelphia Eagles- I Think McNabb comes back and has a MVP type year, this team will be a contender.

Seattle Seahawks- Still the most complete NFC team IMO they were devestated by injuries last year this year they will be a strong contender

joercky
08-15-2007, 06:01 PM
Paul look what is to the left of Julius Jones selling. DDD. I agree that is why I am selling Julius Jones. 1 good game against against the Seahawks made him everybodies new favorite running back. Barber should have been starting but because Jones was Bill Parcells pet project he got the job. Jones is constantly injured, to inconsistent and is overrated. He is a decent number 2 back but that is all he is.

Average OT LB
08-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Paul look what is to the left of Julius Jones selling. DDD. I agree that is why I am selling Julius Jones. 1 good game against against the Seahawks made him everybodies new favorite running back. Barber should have been starting but because Jones was Bill Parcells pet project he got the job. Jones is constantly injured, to inconsistent and is overrated. He is a decent number 2 back but that is all he is.

Supposedly hes getting a larger role in the offense.. so theres the hype in addition to the one good game

If i had to pick between the two, i say barber has a higher ceiling and should probably get the nod, but theres probably a good reason why both coaches have julius as the number one... as fans we see only a small portion of what coaches do

Packers-Cardinals
08-15-2007, 06:27 PM
I don't get why people aren't high on Brady Quinn. Me and Scott are the only guys high on him. He has good size and mobilty, can get the ball into tight spots, read coverage, and has a strong arm.

Paul
08-15-2007, 06:32 PM

First off I know you just did not quote Mencia's "DDD":rolleyes: . Horrid. And Secondly I knew you were "selling", so do not try to insult my intelligence. But to sell something, means there should some hype or expectations for that individual, and there is none for JJ. So there is nothing to sell. And explain to me how was he Parcell's "pet project" agian? When he was in Parcell's dog house since he was drafted. And how is he overrated when even Cowboys' fans are tired of inconsistencies?

HoopsDemon12
08-15-2007, 06:41 PM

The 49'ers are not like the redskins in the least with free agency and draft gameplans... The redskins have only brought in one or no players in each years draft that have made impacts and have actually played well... they grabbed just players from the free agency basically trying to become better faster... the niners have drafted well really well lately and have young talent as well as a mix of verteran free agents... i dont think they are near the same

bearsfan_51
08-15-2007, 06:41 PM
I like Julius Jones. I'd take him as a backup to Benson anyday.

Average OT LB
08-15-2007, 06:45 PM
I don't get why people aren't high on Brady Quinn. Me and Scott are the only guys high on him. He has good size and mobilty, can get the ball into tight spots, read coverage, and has a strong arm.

whats there to be high on tho? im a big ND fan so i like him- more than most. But its hard to hype him... if he were the starter it would be different, but since hes got inept qbs in the way.. in short - cleveland is a mess.

Paul
08-15-2007, 06:47 PM
I like Julius Jones. I'd take him as a backup to Benson anyday.

Meh. I remember during that 6-7 game run he had in his rookie year, people were talking Emitt Smith and Barry Sanders :rolleyes: . I have to say I fell into it back then to. But I would of laughed if somebody told me that Thomas was the better of the two a couple of years ago. But right now, unless he backs up all the excuses he had about Parcells, he'll be free for the taking.

Packers-Cardinals
08-15-2007, 06:52 PM
whats there to be high on tho? im a big ND fan so i like him- more than most. But its hard to hype him... if he were the starter it would be different, but since hes got inept qbs in the way.. in short - cleveland is a mess.

Cleveland should be fine in a couple of years if they draft well.

Bearsfan123
08-15-2007, 07:09 PM
Im just going to do Bears since they are who I know best.

Buying:

Grossman-Yes yes I know everybody and their grandma is sellin this guy, but I think he is going to be a good QB.
Bernard Berrian-I think this will be his break out year. The year he can show everyone that hes not only a deep threat.
Mark Bradley- Hes already shown glimpses, but this is the year I peg him to do well. Is he going to break out? No, but will he become a highly used receiver? Yes.

Unsure-
Benson- I havent seen him do enough to warrant a buy or a sell. Plus I really never liked his attitude.

Selling:
Devin Hester- My lord this guy is getting hyped up to God status. I think he will do well in his new wide receiver role, but Im praying the coaching staff doesnt try to rush his development if he gets a few early scores. IMO he should be in on 10-15 snaps a game on offense. Lets please not rush him!

Caddy
08-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Buying:

Steven Jackson. The dude is a stud. He will solidify his position as #2 runner this year and who know what will happen in the future.

Selling:

Calvin Johnson: I just can't see how he can live up to the hype.

Isn't is corp?

M.O.T.H.
08-15-2007, 07:58 PM
Romo will be the Cowboys demise? I'm sure i sound like the typical Cowboys fans but, I just dont get it. My guess is that people that make such comments have never even seen the man play. If there is one thing that I'm not the slightest bit worried about this year, it's the QB position.

M.O.T.H.
08-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Meh. I remember during that 6-7 game run he had in his rookie year, people were talking Emitt Smith and Barry Sanders :rolleyes: . I have to say I fell into it back then to. But I would of laughed if somebody told me that Thomas was the better of the two a couple of years ago. But right now, unless he backs up all the excuses he had about Parcells, he'll be free for the taking.

Thomas was a late bloomer...and Julius is better at this point in their careers...who knows how he'll turn out. It wouldnt surprise me to see him break out this year and re-sign in Big D.

LSUALUM99
08-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Two words...

Norv Turner

If freaking Barry Switzer can win a Super Bowl, Norv Turner surely can with a good team.

nfrillman
08-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Buying:

Steven Jackson. The dude is a stud. He will solidify his position as #2 runner this year and who know what will happen in the future.

Selling:

Calvin Johnson: I just can't see how he can live up to the hype.

Isn't is corp?

Nice choice, Jackson is awesome. As for your question, if you mean "WR corp" or "LB corp", then yes, it is supposed to be corp, but many people seem to use incorrect phrases on here quite frequently.

M.O.T.H.
08-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Buying:

Selling:

Gore's the real deal...if anything is gonna slow him down, it will be that hand but, that's gonna heal eventually. As for the Cowboys...they are loaded on the offensive side of the ball and have a stockpile of 1st round selections and talent on that D. Personel is very similar to that of last years Chargers, stronger even. I dont think Wade will have any problem molding these guys into a great defense.

7-11
08-15-2007, 08:19 PM
Gore's the real deal...if anything is gonna slow him down, it will be that hand but, that's gonna heal eventually. As for the Cowboys...they are loaded on the offensive side of the ball and have a stockpile of 1st round selections and talent on that D. Personel is very similar to that of last years Chargers, stronger even. I dont think Wade will have any problem molding these guys into a great defense.

i hear you, i just put $20 on them to win the superbowl. as much as it pained me to do so i just couldnt resist the juicy odds of 28-1

Sniper
08-15-2007, 08:19 PM
Nice choice, Jackson is awesome. As for your question, if you mean "WR corp" or "LB corp", then yes, it is supposed to be corp, but many people seem to use incorrect phrases on here quite frequently.

No it's corps.

I'll take a hint from Bearsfan and do the Eagles (partially did them anyway)

Buy:

McNabb staying healthy and being a beast
Defense being much better
Westbrook repeating his heroics

Sell:

Baskett as the #3 wideout
Considine
Chris Gocong as a starting LB...He can be a good third down guy but I prefer Bradley as a pure LB

M.O.T.H.
08-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Considine def. looks like he packed on a few...he needed it.

Sniper
08-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Considine def. looks like he packed on a few...he needed it.

He sure did. He's still better suited as a FS than SS though. I just wish we could have Michael Lewis 2004 version back there.

49erfanatic
08-16-2007, 01:09 PM
i hear you, i just put $20 on them to win the superbowl. as much as it pained me to do so i just couldnt resist the juicy odds of 28-1

I got them at 60-1 at the very start of the off season. I doubt they'll win it, but I think they have a pretty good chance of making the playoffs, and once you're in anything can happen.

PoopSandwich
08-16-2007, 01:11 PM

I'm not saying you guys are hyping you up, but I have seen people pick you guys as a breakthrough team this year, and I just don't see it no offense.

MasterShake
08-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Buying:

Selling:

Leave it to a Cardinal fan to sell Frank Gore....I mean you can sell the 49ers...that I'd be ok with...but Frank Gore? You had to watch him at least twice last year...

The only thing that can limit Gore is injuries...he is a BEAST.

Good to see you buying the Cards having a 8-8 season minimum. You should throw out the rest and just add....

buying:

Edge running for 2k
Leinart being voted into the HoF next year

selling:

the seahawks showing up for the two card games
the rams fielding a football team this year.

Diehard
08-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Selling:

Jamarcus Russell
Cardinals
49ers
Donovan McNabb

Buying:

Don't believe the hype... except when it comes to Jay Cutler ;)

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Selling:
Pats
Eli Manning

The father sent his Son down to save humanity... and get the Broncos to the super bowl.

Vikes99ej
08-16-2007, 05:54 PM
Buying: Tavaris Jackson earning Super Bowl MVP

Selling: Miami Dolphins O-line giving up less than 75 sacks

princefielder28
08-16-2007, 06:57 PM
The father sent his Son down to save humanity... and get the Broncos to the super bowl.

Father = Brett Favre

BuckNaked
08-16-2007, 07:08 PM

Only to be defated by the likes of Tarvaris Jackson and the Minnesota Vikings.

Scotty D
08-16-2007, 07:20 PM
Buy

Patriots as the best team in football, ridiculous roster.

Calvin Johnson. I've seen a few people in this thread sell him, but they guy is a straight up man beast.

Cowboys as the best team in the NFC

Sell

Breakout teams Arizona, Detroit, San Fran (yes)

McNabb