PDA

View Full Version : SI's All-NFL Team

Crazy_Chris
08-16-2007, 03:59 AM
- http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dreamteams/08/13/current/index.html?eref=si_nfl

OFFENSIVE BACKS
QB | Peyton Manning | Indianapolis Colts
Now that he's got the can't-win-the-big-one thing off his resume, he edges Tom Brady for the honor as the best passer and game-manager in football.

RB | LaDainian Tomlinson | San Diego Chargers
This might be the easiest call of this entire team. What player is better at his position right now than Tomlinson?

FB | Mack Strong | Seattle Seahawks
This is a tough position to choose from, because you're tempted to take the best combo platter of blocker and runner. Strong can run in a pinch, but when he blocks linebackers, they stay blocked.

RECEIVERS
WR | Torry Holt | St. Louis Rams
Holt is the best receiver in the game today. He's so quick in and out of his cuts, and so hard to cover one-on-one, and so productive even when everyone knows he'll be getting it seven times a game.

WR | Steve Smith | Carolina Panthers
I'm starting to worry about all his injuries, but for now, he's still the biggest three-down threat at receiver in the game. Four-down, if you count his prowess in the return game when used that way.

TE | Antonio Gates | San Diego Chargers
I have no idea what his stats were last year. I do know this: In a pickup game among the best GMs in football, Gates would certainly be the first tight end picked -- and he'd be a top-20 choice overall.

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN
T | Walter Jones | Seattle Seahawks
Athleticism and power are the most important traits for a franchise left tackle, and Jones is the most athletic left tackle and one of the three or four strongest.

G | Steve Hutchinson | Minnesota Vikings
The gold standard of offensive linemen today, and I don't care if his 2006 wasn't as good as his previous seasons. He is adjusting to life with a lesser left tackle, and still steamrolling in the run game.

C | Jeff Saturday | Indianapolis Colts
It's time to recognize the skill and talent of the Indy offensive line, which showed last year what a physical force it can be in the playoff ramrodding of the formidable Ravens. Saturday's the mistake-free linchpin.

G | Shawn Andrews | Philadelphia Eagles
He's the Eagles' best player today, which is saying something when you consider how many great players this franchise has produced in the last decade. He's a strong, athletic drive-blocker.

T | Jonathan Ogden | Baltimore Ravens
Ogden can still can envelop defensive ends and take them wherever he wants them to go. He's not the talent he was at 28, but hey, neither is Katherine Hepburn.

OFFENSIVE RESERVES
POSITION PLAYER
QB Tom Brady, Vince Young
RB Reggie Bush, Maurice Jones-Drew
OL Jason Peters, Kris Dielman, Nick Mangold
WR Larry Fitzgerald, Marvin Harrison, Mike Furrey
TE Tony Gonzalez

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN

DE | Julius Peppers | Carolina Panthers
He reminds me of Tim Duncan: Never says much, but when he's healthy, Peppers is the best pass rusher in the league.

DT | Jamal Williams | San Diego Chargers
One of the best big-bodied players in recent history, Williams' domination of the middle of the line of scrimmage is a big reason why San Diego's defense works so well.

DT | Warren Sapp | Oakland Raiders
Oh, this pick was the right one six years ago and not now, you say? Bull. Sapp has played as well as ever -- like a man possessed -- the last two years.

DE | Jason Taylor | Miami Dolphins
I don't know how you block him. He's got a small forward's moves and such good instincts for playmaking. The ball just finds him on defense.

LINEBACKERS
OLB | Shawne Merriman | San Diego Chargers
I say he was good enough in his pre-positive-test play and his post-positive-test play to be a slam dunk on this team, but I can see the e-mails flying in already.

OLB | Adalius Thomas | New England Patriots
The best all-around defensive player in football should come in handy on Bill Belichick's drawing board this fall.

MLB | Brian Urlacher | Chicago Bears
It's not just the playmaking. It's the mentality. Urlacher hasn't let being Urlacher take away one ounce of the dedication toward the greatness that rules what he does.

DEFENSIVE BACKS
CB | Champ Bailey | Denver Broncos
Edged by Jason Taylor as last year's defensive player of the year, Bailey has proven what a brilliant deal it was to trade Clinton Portis for him. Great runners come along far, far more often than great corners.

SS | Kerry Rhodes | New York Jets
Nobody's giving him the pub yet, but just watch. He's the rising star (along, maybe, with LaRon Landry of the Redskins) in the secondary for 2007.

FS | Ed Reed | Baltimore Ravens
Has become to the Baltimore defense what Ray Lewis was five years ago -- the player on a very good defense whom offensive coordinators scheme away from.

CB | Antoine Winfield | Minnesota Vikings
There is no cornerback I love watching play more today than Winfield. At 5-9 (that might be generous) and 180, he plays cornerback the way Merriman plays linebacker. Which is to say, he loves to hit.

DEFENSIVE RESERVES
POSITION PLAYER
DL Richard Seymour, Dwight Freeney, Pat Williams
LB DeMeco Ryans, Lance Briggs, Lofa Tatapu
DB Asante Samuel, Bob Sanders

SPECIAL TEAMS
K | Adam Vinatieri | Indianapolis Colts
I don't really care about his stats, though I know they're good. I just care that, with the game on the line, outside or inside, I want Vinatieri kicking the ball anywhere from 52 yards and in.

P | Brian Moorman | Buffalo Bills
He edges Mat McBriar, the Dallas up-and-comer. Moorman consistently has good hang time in the climes of western New York, with a gaudy 39.2-yard net average last year (best in the league) and 33 punts inside the 20 (second-best).

Returner | Devin Hester | Chicago Bears
How about Hester and Reggie Bush (see my bench) as the return men for this team? No team in history has ever had two so good.

Player | Bernard Pollard | Kansas City Chiefs
He blocked three punts and forced two fumbles last year for the Chiefs. He might move into the starting lineup this year, but even if he does, Herman Edwards will continue to use him on special teams.

COACHES
Head Coach | Bill Belichick | New England Patriots
Winning three Super Bowls in four years should make him a gimme. The prospect of winning one more with so many new players makes him a lock.

Offensive Coordinator | Mike Martz | Detroit Lions
Jon Kitna threw for 4,300 yards last year. I rest my case.

Defensive Coordinator | Rex Ryan | Baltimore Ravens
Belichick gets credit, rightfully, for changing up so many of his schemes and player combinations week-to-week, depending on the foe. Ryan does the exact same stuff, only with fewer people noticing.

Addict
08-16-2007, 04:16 AM
he reserves are a bit iffy... Mike Furrey but no Chad Johnson? Vince Young but no Drew Brees or Carson Palmer? Reggie Bush and MJD but no over LJ?

Plus there are some other things... what the hell kind of defense is this guy running? 3-3?

RaiderNation
08-16-2007, 04:33 AM
carson palmer any1?

The Unseen
08-16-2007, 07:01 AM
I love MJD, but he doesn't deserve to be listed as a reserve.

Smooth Criminal
08-16-2007, 07:22 AM
I think the lists look good other than the reserves. Some of those picks clearly arnt the 2nd and 3rd best players at their positions.

eaglesalltheway
08-16-2007, 07:25 AM
Jones-Drew is a great player, but Westbrook is one of the most underrated RBs in the NFL, if not the most underrated RB. Vince Young looks great too, but What about McNabb? I know he has been injured lately, so there has been little out of him, but right now, he is certaily better than Young. Brees and Palmer are better than Young as well.

eaglesalltheway
08-16-2007, 07:26 AM
Sapp shouldn't be one the first team either, maybe as a reserve, but not on the first team.

BigDawg819
08-16-2007, 07:40 AM
There is no cornerback I love watching play more today than Winfield. At 5-9 (that might be generous) and 180, he plays cornerback the way Merriman plays linebacker. Which is to say, he loves to hit.

WTF?!?!?! Loves to hit, HE'S A CORNER! How about the fact that he's horrible in coverage and gets burned more then an albino without sunblock.

Caddy
08-16-2007, 07:42 AM
Pretty suspect list if you ask me, but I suppose it's just one opinion.

OhioState
08-16-2007, 07:46 AM
he reserves are a bit iffy... Mike Furrey but no Chad Johnson? Vince Young but no Drew Brees or Carson Palmer? Reggie Bush and MJD but no over LJ?

Plus there are some other things... what the hell kind of defense is this guy running? 3-3?

it's a 4-3, he's got taylor, peppers, sapp and williams on the line

StaticGator
08-16-2007, 07:53 AM

No way Young, Bush, or Jones-Drew should be on there. In addition to LJ, Steven Jackson and Frank Gore need strong consideration.

Michigan
08-16-2007, 08:02 AM
Lions' 3rd reciever made the all-NFL team.

Heck yes.

BufFan71
08-16-2007, 08:40 AM
Jason Peters

iloxygenil
08-16-2007, 09:15 AM
pitiful list imo.

bernbabybern820
08-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Pretty suspect list if you ask me, but I suppose it's just one opinion.

pitiful list imo.

I hope you guys arent talking about starters. Other than Sapp and Winfield, there is nothing to complain about.

MasterShake
08-16-2007, 10:31 AM
I hope you guys arent talking about starters. Other than Sapp and Winfield, there is nothing to complain about.

Mack Strong doesn't belong there either...unless this is the 2005 All-NFL team and I missed something....

ks_perfection
08-16-2007, 10:32 AM
With 2 reserves Bush is a decent pick, you wouldn't have him run much but act like a slot receiver from the backfield, which teams didn't defend well. With 3 backs the third one would hardly run at all so it doesn't make a difference if he can be an all purpose back.

49erfanatic
08-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Warren Sapp has been the most overrated DL in the league for the past 5 years.

Sorry, but Bush and MJD have no business being ahead of LJ, Steven Jackson, Frank Gore, and Brian Westbrook....yet.

Mike Furrey?????? Where's Chad Johnson? Reggie Wayne? Roy Williams? TO? Do I need to go on?

Antoine Winfield on the team is a total joke. He's not even a top 10 corner anymore

Ewing
08-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Sapp ahead of Tommie Harris and Kevin Williams? Antoine Winfield ahead of Rashean Mathis, Chris McAllister, and Terrance Newman? What about Brian Dawkins?

I'm going to take a guess and say the guy who had Troy Smith as a top three pick, Peter King, wrote this list.

Mr. Stiller
08-16-2007, 11:33 AM
I'd say Alan Faneca and Troy Polamalu should have made this list..

Rhodes is getting better, but he's not better than Polamalu..

Faneca > Kris Deilman and possibly Andrews

Vikes99ej
08-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Pffft. Eff that. Sapp ahead of K-Dub can blow me.

Dam8610
08-16-2007, 11:37 AM
I think the starter and backup at SS need to be switched. I also think youth was a big factor in this. That's a very logical way to explain some of the picks people are calling questionable.

Vikes99ej
08-16-2007, 11:40 AM
I love Winfield, but he shouldn't be on there either.

no love
08-16-2007, 11:52 AM

WTF?!?!?! Loves to hit, HE'S A CORNER! How about the fact that he's horrible in coverage and gets burned more then an albino without sunblock.

If he is going to put a physical corner, why not one that can actually cover like Nate Clements, Mike McKenzie or Patrick Surtain.

Turtlepower
08-16-2007, 11:57 AM
If he is going to put a physical corner, why not one that can actually cover like Nate Clements, Mike McKenzie or Patrick Surtain.

Because SI does not use logic when they make their choices. They go the simple rout by putting a bunch of names in small balloons, pinning those balloons onto a wall, and then throwing darts at those balloons to see which name to choose.

Too bad someone didn't throw a dart into Peter Kings right eye...

Ewing
08-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Holy crap, I just read King's all-time team and it's even worse.

P-L
08-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Vince Young as the 2nd reserve? Over guys like Carson Palmer, Donovan McNabb, Marc Bulger, and Drew Brees? Yeah, Ok...

:njx rolling eyes smiley:

ks_perfection
08-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Vince Young as the 2nd reserve? Over guys like Carson Palmer, Donovan McNabb, Marc Bulger, and Drew Brees? Yeah, Ok...

:njx rolling eyes smiley:

He certainly outplayed them in the Pro Bowl

Vikes99ej
08-16-2007, 12:28 PM

Are you serious?

BigDawg819
08-16-2007, 12:40 PM

So because someone has a better performance in a glorified exhibition game he's suddenly the 2nd best QB in the NFL? :rolleyes:

doingthisinsteadofwork
08-16-2007, 12:49 PM
the only reason he was there in the first place is because Tom Brady wanted to play golf.SHows you how much the pro bowl matters.
Second off there were alot of better QBs that should have gone their instead of him.

Turtlepower
08-16-2007, 12:50 PM

You do realize that Vince Young can't pass... His completion percentage was near 50. And for the argument that he won games for his team, that is ludicrous. The kicker hit an improbable 60-yard field goal, Vince Young was able to scramble against the *gasp* Houston Texans, and Kiwinaku forgot how to tackle. Without those three wins everyone would have forgotten about Vince Young and he would not have gotten the OROY award that he did not deserve.

49erfanatic
08-16-2007, 01:04 PM

Something tells me that perfection is being sarcastic

Geo
08-16-2007, 02:22 PM
pitiful list imo.
I expect nothing more from Sports Illustrated.

StaticGator
08-16-2007, 02:26 PM

Sapp had more sacks than any DT in the league last season.

Ewing
08-16-2007, 02:31 PM
You do realize that Vince Young can't pass... His completion percentage was near 50. And for the argument that he won games for his team, that is ludicrous. The kicker hit an improbable 60-yard field goal, Vince Young was able to scramble against the *gasp* Houston Texans, and Kiwinaku forgot how to tackle. Without those three wins everyone would have forgotten about Vince Young and he would not have gotten the OROY award that he did not deserve.

Yes because somehow he's supposed to be the best passer in the NFL after one season. Give him time, he could pass at Texas and he's only begun in the NFL. Should he be on the All-Current team? Hell no. Will he be in five years? Probably.

Turtlepower
08-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Yes because somehow he's supposed to be the best passer in the NFL after one season. Give him time, he could pass at Texas and he's only begun in the NFL. Should he be on the All-Current team? Hell no. Will he be in five years? Probably.

But he did win Rookie of the Year. My point is that he is being look at a top-5 QB in the league right now. You're right because maybe he will get better, but people are way, way too high on him right now. IMO.

bearfan
08-16-2007, 02:56 PM
The list is terrible. It should look more like what the current Chicago Bears roster looks like

wiscbadgerfootball
08-16-2007, 03:00 PM
The list is terrible. It should look more like what the current Chicago Bears roster looks like

you are mistaken.. NotSoSexy-Rexy is the opposite of what this list entitles

Ewing
08-16-2007, 03:50 PM
But he did win Rookie of the Year. My point is that he is being look at a top-5 QB in the league right now. You're right because maybe he will get better, but people are way, way too high on him right now. IMO.

The Titans wouldn't have won three games if Collins was the quarterback the entire year. Young was a key factor in turning the team around and instead of looking at just passing stats add him both his running and passing. He had an incredible year.

PackerLegend
08-16-2007, 03:54 PM
the list are ok the reserves are bad. like said before Vince Young over Drew Brees and Mike Furrey over Chad Johnson and Donald Driver

ks_perfection
08-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Something tells me that perfection is being sarcastic

Of course, surprised how many thought I wasn't.

Go_Eagles77
08-16-2007, 05:57 PM
Love Shawn Andrews on there, too bad he may or may not have a pretty serious injury.

kmartin575
08-18-2007, 01:38 AM
Brian Moorman's 39.2 was the best net average in the NFL? I didn't realize 39.2 was higher than the 39.3 net average of Dustin Colquitt.

sodar21
08-18-2007, 01:48 AM
Besides the overall awfulness of the article I still can't believe how people have absolutely forgotten about Julian Peterson. He still is among the if not the best outside linebacker in the entire NFL right now.

kmartin575
08-18-2007, 02:01 AM
Besides the overall awfulness of the article I still can't believe how people have absolutely forgotten about Julian Peterson. He still is among the if not the best outside linebacker in the entire NFL right now.

What I am sick of is how much 3-4 OLB's are so overhyped. Of course they are going to put up better stats than a 4-3 OLB because their main job is usually as a pass rusher. I'm more impressed with the sacks Julian Peterson collected because he isn't rushing the passer on every play.

badgerbacker
08-18-2007, 02:16 AM
The Titans wouldn't have won three games if Collins was the quarterback the entire year. Young was a key factor in turning the team around and instead of looking at just passing stats add him both his running and passing. He had an incredible year.
The Packers wouldn't have won many games with Ingle Martin as the quarterback. That however, doesn't mean that Brett Favre should be listed as one of the top 3 QB's in the league. Yes, Young played well and played a big role for the Titans. No, he's not one of the top 3 QB's in the league as of now.

Eagles own the NFC East
08-18-2007, 04:04 PM
I see what there plan was for the reserves. They want to have versatile guys, like thats why MJD and Bush are there, they can do multiple things, and Vince Young could be that change of pace QB lol for Manning and Brady that comes up big on 3rd down situations.

iowatreat54
08-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Brian Moorman's 39.2 was the best net average in the NFL? I didn't realize 39.2 was higher than the 39.3 net average of Dustin Colquitt.

or Jason Baker's 39.4 for that matter...overall there's a bunch of problems with the list and A. I have no idea what he is thinking B. I don't want to get into it because I'm watching the Cubs

Go_Eagles77
08-18-2007, 05:39 PM
I see what there plan was for the reserves. They want to have versatile guys, like thats why MJD and Bush are there, they can do multiple things, and Vince Young could be that change of pace QB lol for Manning and Brady that comes up big on 3rd down situations.

And the age factor, or Westbrook would be on there before Bush.

Eaglez.Fan
08-18-2007, 05:47 PM
I just threw up in my mouth when I saw Vince Young's name.

BlindSite
08-18-2007, 07:41 PM
All Smiths injuries, are you ******** me? He got his leg broke with a now illegal manuever in 04 and pulled a hammy last year. That's one real injury he could semi control in his career.

litlharsh
08-19-2007, 03:50 AM
Winfield isn't NEARLY as terrible as you guys make him out to be, but not as good as this list tells him he is. Jesus it's not like he's a TERRIBLE cover corner. He doesn't need to be Champ in the Cover 2 anyway.

Jagonsucker
08-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Roy Williams> Mike Furrey

this guys on crack

and warren sapp? WTF

Xonraider
08-19-2007, 10:43 AM

Well, last year he had 10 sacks and 32 tackles. Then in 2005 he had 29 tackles, 5 sacks and 1 INT. I don't see how that is overrated.

Now sure, in 2004 he had a terrible year, but he was not fit for the 3-4 defense.

kmartin575
08-19-2007, 05:46 PM
or Jason Baker's 39.4 for that matter...overall there's a bunch of problems with the list and A. I have no idea what he is thinking B. I don't want to get into it because I'm watching the Cubs

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&conference=null&statisticPositionCategory=PUNTER&seasonString=2006-REG&experience=null&tabSeq=1&Submit=Find

Jason Baker's net average was 39.0, not 39.4.

BigJohn98
08-19-2007, 05:51 PM
John Henderson>>>>>>Warren Sapp.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-19-2007, 10:53 PM
I think the starter and backup at SS need to be switched. I also think youth was a big factor in this. That's a very logical way to explain some of the picks people are calling questionable.

i dissagree. u have to actually be able to play in the games to make the team

Packers-Cardinals
08-19-2007, 11:44 PM
I just threw up in my mouth when I saw Vince Young's name.

I know. Did Dr. Z have anything to do with that?

Vikes99ej
08-19-2007, 11:46 PM
He just choose Vince Young because he's on the cover of Madden.

neko4
08-19-2007, 11:48 PM
He just choose Vince Young because he's on the cover of Madden.

probably
when Vince makes a pro bowl or plays very very well, by all means stick him on there

kmartin575
08-20-2007, 12:23 AM
John Henderson>>>>>>Warren Sapp.

Agreed

Kevin Williams >>>>>>> Warren Sapp

Ewing
08-20-2007, 01:50 AM
probably
when Vince makes a pro bowl or plays very very well, by all means stick him on there

Vince did make a Pro Bowl...

DaBears9654
08-21-2007, 07:01 PM
Just what is San Diego FB Lorenzo Neal doing not on this list? I mean, Strong is really good, but, imo, the Chargers are lucky enough to have the best at both set back positions in tailback Ladanian Tomlinson (who I saw is on this list; even Zimmerman's not that moronic) and Neal.

jkpigskin
08-22-2007, 03:40 PM
reserves are eh...
starters are good
love that rex ryan gets some love, he will be coaching an nfl team next year *tear

Addict
08-23-2007, 01:50 AM
Vince did make a Pro Bowl...

Vince Young, to me is Mike Vick 0.5 minus the dog fighting. He has no business on this list.

Sniper
08-23-2007, 01:53 AM
Wow in my latest Madden 2007 fantasy draft I have 4 of the 5 O-linemen listed :)