PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best LT in the AFC East?

bills_red
08-16-2007, 11:41 AM
Jason Peters-Bills-Undrafted Free Agent '04
Vernon Carey-Dolphins-1st Round Pick #19 '04
Matt Light-Patriots-2nd Round Pick #17 '01
D'Brickashaw Ferguson-Jets-1st Round Pick #4 '06

Who is the best LT in the AFC East right now?

In 5 years who will be the best?

neko4
08-16-2007, 11:42 AM
5 years- D' Brick
now Light

Vikes99ej
08-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Light right now and Ferguson in five years.

Mr. Stiller
08-16-2007, 11:49 AM
I'll be unconventional and say..

Right now: Light
5 years: Peters

Turtlepower
08-16-2007, 11:50 AM
5 years, D'Brick... Right now, D'Brick.

This guy is amazing and I think he will make the pro bowl by the end of the year. Best tackle prospect of the past 10 years and the next 10 years. People forget about how good of a prospect he was coming out of the draft.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
08-16-2007, 12:35 PM

This guy is amazing and I think he will make the pro bowl by the end of the year. Best tackle prospect of the past 10 years and the next 10 years. People forget about how good of a prospect he was coming out of the draft.

Um.. false.

He was a great prospect, but was not the best tackle prospect over the last 10 years. And certainly won't be for the next 10.

Brick is a great player though.

Shiver
08-16-2007, 01:00 PM
I am a big Jason Peters' fan. As for D'Brickashaw Ferguson, I am concerned that he will never be able to hold 300+ weight.

49erfanatic
08-16-2007, 01:07 PM

Joe Thomas and Orlando Pace just called... they seem a little befuttled

Namy
08-16-2007, 01:09 PM

D'Brick is better than Joe Thomas as a prospect. But Pace owns D'Brick.

49erfanatic
08-16-2007, 01:12 PM
D'Brick is better than Joe Thomas as a prospect. But Pace owns D'Brick.

I think Thomas was a bit more complete coming out of college, he's a better run blocker. Both should have great careers though.

Turtlepower
08-16-2007, 01:12 PM

Fine, I'll give you Pace. He is a beast. Joe Thomas is really good, but not on the same level as D'Brick.

remix 6
08-16-2007, 01:26 PM
now: Peters

Light is not better than Peters .

keylime_5
08-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Right now it's Peters by far. Ferguson might be the best down the road.

MasterShake
08-16-2007, 02:49 PM
now: Peters

Light is not better than Peters .

Correct and Correct.

remix 6
08-16-2007, 05:11 PM
Correct and Correct.

if we had to choose Daniel Graham and Matt Light verse the rest..i would've taken that but Graham isnt here to help Light against speed guys.

Light cant really control guys with speed by himself. hes a good run blocker but inconsistent as a pass blocker and a lot of the previous success credit goes to Daniel Graham.

JoeMontainya
08-16-2007, 09:10 PM

Orlando Pace was drafted 11 years ago and Furguson isnt half the player he is or was. Pace almost won the Heisman, Brick's hype isnt a 10th of Paces.

There isnt a single thing in football at LT that Brick would be better than Pace at. Pace is bigger, faster, stronger, or at least was coming out of college.

For how poorly Brick played in his rookie year compared to other recent LT's Im realyl surprised your praising him this much. In a game thats won by deffense and running the ball, Brick isnt even a good run blocker.

Call me a homer, but marcus McNeil and Joe Thomas are better and one of them has allready proven it, the other needs this season to back me up and so far in camp and the first preseason game he has been inching closer.

Prospect means absolutly nothing after the draft, after your picked, production is the only thing that matters anymore. Jamaal Brown comes to mind when I hear recently drafted LT's that I would rather have.

bearfan
08-16-2007, 09:11 PM
John Tait. Hands down

PalmerToCJ
08-16-2007, 09:23 PM
At this point I think it's easy to say Light... Also pretty easy to say D'Brick given how little he's played and how high his potential is.

On a side note: I can only imagine if Jason Peters and Todd Weiner were on the same line....

08-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Peters plays and looks like a mauler, but is quick enough to hold his own against speed rushers. He is the best right now.

In 5 years it will be between D'Brick and Peters, and whoever Miami chooses with their early first rounder next year :D.

Light is overrated. He gets pummeled by power rushers, and cleanly beat by speed rushers.

SuperMcGee
08-17-2007, 12:02 AM
We haven't really seen Carey there yet and I'm really anticipating it, but that's besides the point. It's Peters by a fair amount right now, and I could comfortably say it will still be him in the future.

Vikes99ej
08-17-2007, 12:02 AM
John Tait. Hands down

:confused: Really?

Caddy
08-17-2007, 12:16 AM
Jason Peters is a stud. A great pick up as an UDFA.

08-17-2007, 12:23 AM
Jason Peters is a stud. A great pick up as an UDFA.

I give more credit to him than anybody. The guy was a TE in college, and tried out for a (at the time) bad Buffalo team.

Finsfan79
08-17-2007, 08:06 AM
I think Carey is going to surprise people this year with how good he is. He is a Great Right Tackle and will be a good left tackle too. Offensive linemen are hard to track with Stats and all.

I would say right now there is no "star" left tackle but in the future D'birck will be if he continues to develope.

08-17-2007, 10:13 AM
I think Carey is going to surprise people this year with how good he is. He is a Great Right Tackle and will be a good left tackle too. Offensive linemen are hard to track with Stats and all.

I would say right now there is no "star" left tackle but in the future D'birck will be if he continues to develope.

I am going to enjoy seeing him on Seymour this season. :D

Pack_Attack_4
08-17-2007, 10:36 AM
im gonna say right now its Light but in 5 years D BRICK

remix 6
08-17-2007, 10:44 AM
the thing with Light though is he improved down the stretch last year. doesnt make him better than Peters but he slowly improved and did better against Freeney than he did in the past and did a good job with Merriman

he still gets beat by speed guys and Gaines Adams in the first preseason just bull rushed him and knocked him pretty far back and Brady got his pass deflected by Gaines. thats another example. Hes had it rough in the division against Taylor & Schobel and thats been a problem for us

megansett56BC
08-17-2007, 11:09 AM
the adams play was a bubble screen... he was supposed to get adams upfield. adams happened to get lucky and get a paw on the ball. i'm not even a huge fan of light's and i would defend him on that play. i think he gets a lot more credit than he deserves. mankins and koppen are the pats best linemen.

regardless, i'd say its peters now and will likely be d'brick in the future.

TimD
08-17-2007, 11:14 AM
D'Brick right now....
D'Brick 5 years...
D'Brick 10 years...

am i biased? yes
am i right? quite possibly

Ferguson has had a really good camp (from what i've seen on videos and heard from coaches)... yeah he'll always have that weight problem but he is alot stronger from last year and he is extremely quick...

remix 6
08-17-2007, 11:18 AM
D'Brick right now....
D'Brick 5 years...
D'Brick 10 years...

am i biased? yes
am i right? quite possibly

Ferguson has had a really good camp (from what i've seen on videos and heard from coaches)... yeah he'll always have that weight problem but he is alot stronger from last year and he is extremely quick...

lol he might of been the worst i nthe group last year

right now..who cares about camp. whatd he do last season
Ferguson might not be thought of as a great pass-blocker, but his metrics indicate he might not even be a good one right now. Ferguson allowed 11 sacks and had one holding penalty called on him. Given that five of the sacks were allowed during the Jets' last four games, Ferguson also wasn't showing much progress in this area.

Peters Underrated
Peters is the most underrated offensive lineman in the league. He allowed only 1.5 sacks last season, and none were individual effort sacks. Peters also had zero offensive holding penalties called on him. The Bills thought so much of his play at right tackle last year, they moved Peters to left tackle in Week 9. If Peters plays as well in a full season at left tackle as he did in the last half of 2006, he will be a strong Pro Bowl candidate this year.

KC Joyner

08-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Isn't it funny how the only guys picking Light aren't Pats fans.

JoeMontainya
08-17-2007, 05:14 PM
I think it is funny how pass blocking is Bricks strong point, but he was one of the worste in the AFC last year at it. His run blocking was easily below average and yet he is being mentioned by Jets fans as the current best in the division? Geshhh, Peters is so far ahead of Brick right now its not funny.

08-18-2007, 05:53 PM
I think it is funny how pass blocking is Bricks strong point, but he was one of the worste in the AFC last year at it. His run blocking was easily below average and yet he is being mentioned by Jets fans as the current best in the division? Geshhh, Peters is so far ahead of Brick right now its not funny.

Peters is so far ahead of all of the AFC East tackles.

BufFan71
08-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Right Now: Jason Peters
5 years: Jason Peters

hes too strong, big, fast, athletic To NOT get any better..

This is a quote from the Ravens Defensive Coordinator-------

It was the Monday before Buffalo's season finale with Baltimore to put a wrap on the Bills' 2006 season, and Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan's mouth was hanging open.

Watching film of Buffalo's offensive line in preparation for the final Sunday game of the regular season Ryan had his eyes locked on number 71. Baltimore's defensive tactician didn't know who he was looking at, but he aimed to find out quick.

"I never knew him from anybody," said Ryan of Bills offensive tackle Jason Peters. "But I was watching the tape and I was like, 'Whoa who is this kid?' He really stood out."

A few hours before the game at M&T Bank Stadium Ryan bumped into Bills offensive line coach Jim McNally on the field and told him what he thought of Peters.

"Rex Ryan said, 'Wow. We didn't really see you play, but after we saw you play we would have voted for your left tackle for the Pro Bowl,'" recalled McNally.

Ryan confirmed to Buffalobills.com that had he been aware of Peters' abilities prior to voting for the Pro Bowl in mid-December he would have made him an AFC selection.

"I was just thinking that if we had our Pro Bowl voting we would have changed it," Ryan told Buffalobills.com. "We never knew the kid, but our vote had already taken place. He's a terrific player, great talent, great athlete. He can bend his knees, he handles movement and change of direction. He's outstanding."

http://assets.buffalobills.com/uploads/news/7ACCD64CB71E4E6A96CA5A5C33464958.jpg

08-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Right Now: Jason Peters
5 years: Jason Peters

hes too strong, big, fast, athletic To NOT get any better..

This is a quote from the Ravens Defensive Coordinator-------

It was the Monday before Buffalo's season finale with Baltimore to put a wrap on the Bills' 2006 season, and Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan's mouth was hanging open.

Watching film of Buffalo's offensive line in preparation for the final Sunday game of the regular season Ryan had his eyes locked on number 71. Baltimore's defensive tactician didn't know who he was looking at, but he aimed to find out quick.

"I never knew him from anybody," said Ryan of Bills offensive tackle Jason Peters. "But I was watching the tape and I was like, 'Whoa who is this kid?' He really stood out."

A few hours before the game at M&T Bank Stadium Ryan bumped into Bills offensive line coach Jim McNally on the field and told him what he thought of Peters.

"Rex Ryan said, 'Wow. We didn't really see you play, but after we saw you play we would have voted for your left tackle for the Pro Bowl,'" recalled McNally.

Ryan confirmed to Buffalobills.com that had he been aware of Peters' abilities prior to voting for the Pro Bowl in mid-December he would have made him an AFC selection.

"I was just thinking that if we had our Pro Bowl voting we would have changed it," Ryan told Buffalobills.com. "We never knew the kid, but our vote had already taken place. He's a terrific player, great talent, great athlete. He can bend his knees, he handles movement and change of direction. He's outstanding."

http://assets.buffalobills.com/uploads/news/7ACCD64CB71E4E6A96CA5A5C33464958.jpg

He left out the fact that Peters is a ******* mauler.

Yung Flippa
08-18-2007, 09:28 PM
D'Brickashaw Ferguson.
Right Now & In The Future

Pit Bull #53
08-18-2007, 09:37 PM
I like D'Brick and all, but I don't see how in the hell anyone can say he's the best OT in that division right now. What facet of his game is superior to Jason Peters at the moment? Peters is a better pass blocker at this point and a significantly better run blocker.

sodar21
08-19-2007, 12:30 AM
Matt Light.

RaiderNation
08-19-2007, 03:56 AM
now d'brick...5 years d'brick

BufFan71
08-19-2007, 07:23 AM
how are u gonna say D-Brick??
He is nowhere near the Pass blocker Jason Peters is....
DBrick in one game against Buffalo Gave up 3 sacks to schobel

Peters didnt even give up 3 sacks all season
and Peters is a dominate run blocker....

u might say dbrick is more athletic??? No, Jason Peters is just as athletic if not more, than Dbrick

Aftermath
08-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Jason Peters now and in the future.

elway777
08-19-2007, 12:22 PM
if we had to choose Daniel Graham and Matt Light verse the rest..i would've taken that but Graham isnt here to help Light against speed guys.

Light cant really control guys with speed by himself. hes a good run blocker but inconsistent as a pass blocker and a lot of the previous success credit goes to Daniel Graham.

As a Broncos fan I'm ecstatic to hear that.

Staubach12
08-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Right now, it has to be Matt Light. In five years, it could be and very well should be based on potential and all that Jazz, D'Brick. However, for me that really depends on when Matt Light will decline. Many linmen don't greatly decline untill well into their 30s, and Light is a very good player. I could see Light being just a tad better than D'Brick in 5 years time. However, I really think D'Brick will grow well, so that's a slim chance. Peters is also very good, so he's in the mix...

P-L
08-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Jason Peters is the best now, but I think D'Brickashaw Ferguson will become the best in a few years.

BufFan71
08-19-2007, 01:29 PM
do u people realize jason peters is only 25????
Dbrick is 23......

only a 2 year difference....

so when u base it on potential, Peters has just as much

Ewing
08-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Now: Peters
Five Years: D'Brick/Peters

I think D'Brick and Peters have pretty much the same potential but Peters is far closer to reaching it right now. D'Brick is going to have far better linemen beside him though which may make him look better.

'cuse-213
08-19-2007, 01:31 PM
how are u gonna say D-Brick??
He is nowhere near the Pass blocker Jason Peters is....
DBrick in one game against Buffalo Gave up 3 sacks to schobel

Peters didnt even give up 3 sacks all season
and Peters is a dominate run blocker....

u might say dbrick is more athletic??? No, Jason Peters is just as athletic if not more, than Dbrick

dude, he gave up 2 sacks in the last minute with a rookie qb who ran right into him. Dont take anything away from Brick he should be a hell of a player for the jets in the future. I dont know why the people who say bricks better, arent defending themselves though, thats just silly.

About Bricks weight, hes still young. I say give him time, let his metabolism slow down and hell be a massive 315 at least, in the coming years.

SuperMcGee
08-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Now: Peters
Five Years: D'Brick/Peters

I think D'Brick and Peters have pretty much the same potential but Peters is far closer to reaching it right now.

That's pretty much all there is to it in my eyes.

Light is not as good as Peters right now and I can't see him fitting in with those two when he's in his mid-thirties.
Carey I just can't give a solid opinion on at the position just yet.

Shiver
08-19-2007, 02:32 PM
Carey was an excellent RT, but I am not sure he can play LT nearly as well.

BufFan71
08-19-2007, 03:27 PM
dude, he gave up 2 sacks in the last minute with a rookie qb who ran right into him. Dont take anything away from Brick he should be a hell of a player for the jets in the future. I dont know why the people who say bricks better, arent defending themselves though, thats just silly.

About Bricks weight, hes still young. I say give him time, let his metabolism slow down and hell be a massive 315 at least, in the coming years.

peters is about 350lbs now

'cuse-213
08-19-2007, 03:39 PM
peters is about 350lbs now

brick is about 300lbs now

BufFan71
08-19-2007, 03:51 PM
peters got 50lbs on him....

draftguru151
08-19-2007, 04:12 PM
do u people realize jason peters is only 25????
Dbrick is 23......

only a 2 year difference....

so when u base it on potential, Peters has just as much

Age isn't the only requirement for potential. As a pass blocker Ferguson has the potential to be able to dominate any DE. Right now is he better than Peters, no, but to say their potential is the same because there is only a 2 year age difference is ridiculous.

'cuse-213
08-19-2007, 04:41 PM
peters got 50lbs on him....

elaborate please. I would like to hear your reasoning behind this, that having 50lbs on him is a plus. please post back.

BufFan71
08-19-2007, 04:43 PM
no i didnt mean it as having 50lbs is a plus....

i was just saying that Peters has 50lbs on him...

'cuse-213
08-19-2007, 04:47 PM
no i didnt mean it as having 50lbs is a plus....

i was just saying that Peters has 50lbs on him...

Brick wears number 60.

I bet you dont get it

BufFan71
08-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Peters wheres 71....

hes got 11 numbers on him (sarcasm)

CC.SD
08-19-2007, 09:07 PM
Peters wins because seriously, 60 is a terrible number for a LT. It's a guard number.