PDA

View Full Version : Antwan Barnes

Moses
08-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Has this been posted yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6U6bMPpIIc

badgerbacker
08-16-2007, 08:04 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, I love huge hits and really enjoy watching them. On the otherhand, it was against a freaking punter completely away from the play and pointless.

Moses
08-16-2007, 08:06 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, I love huge hits and really enjoy watching them. On the otherhand, it was against a freaking punter completely away from the play and pointless.

Like Warren Sapp's hit on Chad Clifton a few years ago. Completely unnecessary.

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/nfl/2002/1124/photo/a_sapp_i.jpg

badgerbacker
08-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Like Warren Sapp's hit on Chad Clifton a few years ago. Completely unnecessary.

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/nfl/2002/1124/photo/a_sapp_i.jpg
BINGO. That was at least against an actual player too, this was a punter. It's like sucker punching a 10 year old.

ShutDwn
08-16-2007, 08:35 PM
BINGO. That was at least against an actual player too, this was a punter. It's like sucker punching a 10 year old.

Or body checking a grandma.

It is unnecessary, and helmet to helmet. It isn't hard to lay someone out if they aren't expecting it, especially a punter, in preseason.

I don't see why this should get any good publicity. It isn't impressive, but it is excessive.

Ravens1991
08-16-2007, 08:37 PM
It has in the Ravens forum,

Barnes is a future pro bowler for us, him and Prescott looked beastly so far.

About the hit, yes it was un-needed, and yes it was a cheap shot, but to make 6 figures like some punters do I would easily do that and risk once in a blue moon my head gets ripped off.

PalmerToCJ
08-16-2007, 08:38 PM
It was a cheap shot no doubt, especially in a preseason game. I mean, what honor is there in laying out the freaking punter?

Regardless, Barnes should be a star in Baltimore.

Ravens1991
08-16-2007, 08:45 PM
It was a cheap shot no doubt, especially in a preseason game. I mean, what honor is there in laying out the freaking punter?

Regardless, Barnes should be a star in Baltimore.

True there isn't but I love to see that type of attitude that he is willing to tear somebodys head off for no reason.

PalmerToCJ
08-16-2007, 09:01 PM
True there isn't but I love to see that type of attitude that he is willing to tear somebodys head off for no reason.

I've gotta say if I was a Ravens fan I would like to see it myself. I just really feel like he's the next defensive star in Baltimore (granted I didn't see him play last week less the hit), he's young... He's bound to make mistakes and that was one of them.

Vikes99ej
08-16-2007, 09:02 PM
All I have to say is..... BOOM!!!

Ravens1991
08-16-2007, 09:04 PM
trust any Ravens fan, Ozzie picked 2 good ones in Barnes and Prescott this past draft. Prescott is in the mold of Bart Scott as in good athletic ability and is well rounded, he can blitz and play MLB, and Barnes is in the mold of Suggs and he will probably come in on pass rushing downs but develop into a full time starter.

PalmerToCJ
08-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Which is the heir to the throne of Ray-Ray? (I don't know which is ILB/OLB).

I can believe they'll develop, you all have no trouble with those defenders. Barnes just looks like he's a Raven... as dumb as that may sound.

ks_perfection
08-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Unless your a sure starter you have to go all out to prove to your coachs what you can do. Its was also the right decision, the punter was the only guy he could hit from where he was and he didn't know that the returner was getting stuffed.

neko4
08-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Finally FIU gets a star!
Wasnt he a main part of the Miami-FIU brawl?

Ravens1991
08-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Which is the heir to the throne of Ray-Ray? (I don't know which is ILB/OLB).

I can believe they'll develop, you all have no trouble with those defenders. Barnes just looks like he's a Raven... as dumb as that may sound.

Prescott IMO, and I see Barnes knocking on the door for JJ next season and possibly starting.

Finally FIU gets a star!
Wasnt he a main part of the Miami-FIU brawl?

from his scouting reports I didnt see anything about that.

Philliez01
08-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Not that it matters, but Saverio Rocca is kinda built like a tank. He takes an exception to "just a punter" along with Sepulveda.

Still an unnecessary hit, like Trotter on Feagles?

Moses
08-16-2007, 10:30 PM
I just think that if that punter was injured, it would be a really bad situation. On one hand, the hit was completely legal. On the other, it was dirty and not necessary and could end up costing a guy his career, or worse, his health. If they're going to make horse-collar tackles and touching the quarterback illegal, why allow senseless hits completely out of the play?

7-11
08-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Sav Rocca has been playing Australian Rules Football at the highest level for 15 years, in which its quite common to be hit while unexpecting such as the Barnes hit. hes a 6'5 260 Aussie rules player turned punter so im sure he can take it

WMD
08-16-2007, 11:11 PM
Yeah, I'm sure Sav has taken worse than that, with no pads on.

BigDawg819
08-16-2007, 11:55 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie.................ow Ow Ow!!!! :d

HoopsDemon12
08-16-2007, 11:55 PM

i love that attitude in defensive players and i mean this guy will be a good player.. i wanted the bills to draft him.. but oh well.. he will be an all-pro.. book it!
Not that it matters, but Saverio Rocca is kinda built like a tank. He takes an exception to "just a punter" along with Sepulveda.

and those two guys lay out more returners and unexpecting blockers than they get lit up.. those two guys can take a hit and lay it out.. and rocca has taken worse.. look at some higlights... next time if i were barnes i would be looking for rocca

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-17-2007, 12:01 AM
Or body checking a grandma.

Are you calling my favourite hobby cowardly?

BigDawg819
08-17-2007, 12:04 AM
Are you calling my favourite hobby cowardly?

I would call it manly and slightly erotic, but thats just me.......

Caddy
08-17-2007, 12:14 AM
Yeah, I'm sure Sav has taken worse than that, with no pads on.

He most definitely has. He would have copped a hit like that around 1 time every game in the AFL. It can be a brutal sport.

7-11
08-17-2007, 12:26 AM
He most definitely has. He would have copped a hit like that around 1 time every game in the AFL. It can be a brutal sport.

exactly, getting hit in the back unexpectedly is part of the game

The Legend
08-17-2007, 01:31 AM
the man did run a 4.39

Paranoidmoonduck
08-17-2007, 03:50 AM
It seemed like a cheap shot, but punters are football players to, and the punter definitely wasn't paying enough attention to avoid that blow.

Caddy
08-17-2007, 05:06 AM
It seemed like a cheap shot, but punters are football players to, and the punter definitely wasn't paying enough attention to avoid that blow.

The fact that he got straight up after taking the hit is a testament to how tough he is anyway. Slowly but surely Aussies are taking over the league, well at least the punting part of it.

Moses
08-17-2007, 09:19 AM

It doesn't really matter what his position is in my opinion. The guy was no effecting the play in anyway and Barnes came flying in and knocked his head off for no reason. If the punter doesn't get up from that...

BigDawg819
08-17-2007, 11:38 AM
It doesn't really matter what his position is in my opinion. The guy was no effecting the play in anyway and Barnes came flying in and knocked his head off for no reason. If the punter doesn't get up from that...

Boo hoo! Its a freaking back up punter and if he doesn't know to keep his head on a swivel at all times then he won't last long in the league. All this complaining on how this hit was bad play or dirty play is crap. The hit was legal and the only reason people are crying is because it wasn't a player on their team doing it. Even Ike Reese was bitching on the Eagles broadcast, yes Ike Reese a former special teamer who has blown up punters in the past. Get over it, football's about hitting and that's what Barnes did.......

TimD
08-17-2007, 11:49 AM
The fact that he got straight up after taking the hit is a testament to how tough he is anyway. Slowly but surely Aussies are taking over the league, well at least the punting part of it.

Haha Ben Graham... I love how he played Aussie Rules Football because after he punts the ball he runs down the field looking to make the hit unlike other punters who sit back... Last year (i forget against who) Graham ran down and after the returner broke a tackle Graham layed him out got up and celebrated... I was going nuts haha

remix 6
08-17-2007, 12:09 PM
if they have pads on..no reason no to hit them. ..if they wanna try and make a tackle or run down like it..be ready to get drilled.

steelernation77
08-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Boo hoo! Its a freaking back up punter and if he doesn't know to keep his head on a swivel at all times then he won't last long in the league. All this complaining on how this hit was bad play or dirty play is crap. The hit was legal and the only reason people are crying is because it wasn't a player on their team doing it. Even Ike Reese was bitching on the Eagles broadcast, yes Ike Reese a former special teamer who has blown up punters in the past. Get over it, football's about hitting and that's what Barnes did.......

Hitting a punter in a preseason game when he's not even a part of the play and he's not expecting it is dumb and dirty. There is a difference between being a physical player and a cheap-shot artist. It's what seperates Jack Lambert from Jack Tatum and it is a distinction that many Ravens' fans seem consistently unable to distinguish.

BigDawg819
08-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Hitting a punter in a preseason game when he's not even a part of the play and he's not expecting it is dumb and dirty. There is a difference between being a physical player and a cheap-shot artist. It's what seperates Jack Lambert from Jack Tatum and it is a distinction that many Ravens' fans seem consistently unable to distinguish.

Whatever, if it was a Steeler who lit up a punter you'd be here ranting and raving on how great a play it was. But since it was a Raven you come in here with your rhetoric and its crap. Hitting is a part of the game and if you can't handle it then go watch golf!

Vikes99ej
08-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Let's complain about every big hit, then. How about that Lito Shepphard hit on Reggie Bush? He didn't have to blow his head off; he could have just set him down politely. Same with Bart Scott's hit on Big Ben. I'm sorry, nothing excites me more than a huge blow. That's what the NFL is all about.

trkaline
08-17-2007, 12:37 PM

Can't take a hit hang up the cleats. I'll tell you one thing a hit like that does, it gets in your mental and no, not just the punter any other player opposed to him on the other side of the ball. If you got a helmet on prepared to get hit, watch before crossing the street and if you see a guy bearing down on you why not fake a fall like punters do 75% of the time. He didn't see him dumb on his part sittin there smiling at his coach skippin' to the sideline... fixed the punctuation a little maybe you can make sense of it now Steeler Nation or should I repost it and type slower this time?

Philliez01
08-17-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm sorry, nothing excites me more than a huge blow.

Don't apologize, that's completely normal. . . .

Anyway, it could have been adrenaline. This is Barnes first game and it's not like FIU has been a national powerhouse. Could've got caught up in the moment or something. Rocca got right back up and laughed about it on the sidelines.

YAYareaRB
08-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Anyone see this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdUOfEgo5h0

Moses
08-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Let's complain about every big hit, then. How about that Lito Shepphard hit on Reggie Bush? He didn't have to blow his head off; he could have just set him down politely. Same with Bart Scott's hit on Big Ben. I'm sorry, nothing excites me more than a huge blow. That's what the NFL is all about.

There is a clear difference there. Bush had the football. He was in the play. He should have been expecting a hit.

This is a case where a guy was jogging downfield towards a dead play and out of nowhere a guy blindsides him for no reason. Do you think that Sapp's hit on Clifton that caused him to miss time was acceptable? Clifton was jogging along completely out of the play and Sapp comes and steamrolls him. Why? That's not what football is about.

Another situation: Team kicks off, returner is about 10 yards from endzone. You're in kick coverage but are about 50 yards behind the play because you got blocked. You're jogging back as you are completely out of the play. Some guy steamrolls you from your blindspot. Is that necessary? No. Is it dirty? Clearly. Not part of the game.

I like to see big hits as much as the next guy but this is taking it too far.

SuperKevin
08-17-2007, 12:59 PM
I'm a huge Antawn Barnes fan but I have to say 2 years ago all the hype was on his teammate at FIU Keyonevis Bouie and Barnes literally skyrocketed from nowhere. Glad to see him getting noticed

BigDawg819
08-17-2007, 01:05 PM
There is a clear difference there. Bush had the football. He was in the play. He should have been expecting a hit.

This is a case where a guy was jogging downfield towards a dead play and out of nowhere a guy blindsides him for no reason. Do you think that Sapp's hit on Clifton that caused him to miss time was acceptable? Clifton was jogging along completely out of the play and Sapp comes and steamrolls him. Why? That's not what football is about.

Another situation: Team kicks off, returner is about 10 yards from endzone. You're in kick coverage but are about 50 yards behind the play because you got blocked. You're jogging back as you are completely out of the play. Some guy steamrolls you from your blindspot. Is that necessary? No. Is it dirty? Clearly. Not part of the game.

I like to see big hits as much as the next guy but this is taking it too far.

The only thing clear in your diatribe is that its your opinion, plain and simple.

The hit by Barnes was legal hence there was no flag on the play and no action by the league after the fact. These plays happen throughout every NFL game so save the sanctimony.

steelernation77
08-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Can't take a hit hang up the cleats, i'll tell you one thing a hit like that does.....it gets in your mental and no not just the punter any other player opposed to him on the other side of the ball if you got a helmet on prepared to get hit, watch before crossing the street and if you see a guy bearing down on you why not fake a fall like punters do 75% of the time...but he didn't see him dumb on his part sittin there smiling at his coach skippin to the sideline...

Put a period in there somewhere and I might attempt makig sense of it.

Anyway, I do agree that football is about being physical and hitting hard, but as I said before, sneaking up on a punter and hitting him in a preseason game when he's away from the play is cheap, not physical. If the punter was anywhere close to the play, then by all means hit him, but this was uncalled for. I love when a linebacker slams a running back, or when a safety nails a receiver with his shoulder to knock a ball loose. However, when cheap shots, helmet to helmet hits, and other illegal hits are glorified, it is bad for the game. The hypocrites at ESPN that chastise a player for leading with his head one minute, and then show the same type of hit on "Jacked Up," send the wrong message to players and fans alike, namely that these type of hits are acceptable, when in reality they are dangerous and unnecessary.

Moses
08-17-2007, 01:12 PM
The only thing clear in your diatribe is that its your opinion, plain and simple.

The hit by Barnes was legal hence there was no flag on the play and no action by the league after the fact. These plays happen throughout every NFL game so save the sanctimony.

The fact remains that it was a cheap shot and there is no place in it for football. Plus, you could argue it was intent to injure. Might as well cut block him there and tear his ACL. No big deal.

BigDawg819
08-17-2007, 01:14 PM
The fact remains that it was a cheap shot and there is no place in it for football. Plus, you could argue it was intent to injure. Might as well cut block him there and tear his ACL. No big deal.

Again its not a fact, as you say, its your opinion. If something was wrong with it, the league would have taken action. They didn't so therefore it was a clean play.

Moses
08-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Again its not a fact, as you say, its your opinion. If something was wrong with it, the league would have taken action. They didn't so therefore it was a clean play.

Right, I forgot the NFL's decisions automatically equate to correct. Hence why touching the quarterback is now illegal. Or even dragging a ballcarrier down from behind. I would love to know how either of those plays are more dangerous than blindsiding a player 50 yards out of the play...

BigDawg819
08-17-2007, 01:28 PM
Right, I forgot the NFL's decisions automatically equate to correct. Hence why touching the quarterback is now illegal. Or even dragging a ballcarrier down from behind. I would love to know how either of those plays are more dangerous than blindsiding a player 50 yards out of the play...

Punters are one of the most interchangeable positions in the league thats why...

Moses
08-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Punters are one of the most interchangeable positions in the league thats why...

Hence why there are "running into the kicker" rules? Position doesn't matter unless the player is in a vulnerable position (ie. kickers/punters kicking, quarterbacks in pocket). I would still think this is dirty if it was any other player getting hit.

jkpigskin
08-17-2007, 01:57 PM
i think it was a cheap shot... really unnecessarily
besides that, i really like wat i see from barnes

jkpigskin
08-17-2007, 01:58 PM
and the homerism of this thread is amazing.... for both sides of the argument
:D

badgerbacker
08-18-2007, 01:06 AM
Just because something is legal, doesn't make it clean. The hit was completely bush league. Part of sports is being a good sportsman and controlling and policing yourself.

BigDawg, we aren't in 4th grade here...that means not everything is black/white, right/wrong, or good/bad. Obviously, as you say, it is merely our opinion that this play was dirty. But you have to admit that not all things legal are necessarily clean plays.

I guess it's just like running up the score in basketball or stealing the pitcher's signs in baseball...just one of the many unwritten rules in sports. Some people believe that these rules should be followed, while others seem to believe they are for suckers and will do anything not explicitly defined to be against the rules, regardless of whether or not it seems right.

nobodyinparticular
08-18-2007, 01:14 AM
Has this been posted yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6U6bMPpIIc

Nice helmet on helmet action he got there...

kmartin575
08-18-2007, 01:48 AM

Rip somebodies head off...

...or murder two people in Atlanta, or deal drugs.

He will fit right in with Baltimore's players.

BigDawg819
08-18-2007, 01:53 AM
Rip somebodies head off...

...or murder two people in Atlanta, or deal drugs.

He will fit right in with Baltimore's players.

Way to live in the past and post nothing relevant....

kmartin575
08-18-2007, 01:54 AM

The hit on Trent Green by Robert Geathers last year was not flagged or penalized in any way but that does not make that a clean hit.

p.s. If that was Peyton Manning or Tom Brady who got hit by Robert Geathers like that he would have been flagged and would have received a hefty fine.

BigDawg819
08-18-2007, 01:55 AM
The hit on Trent Green by Robert Geathers last year was not flagged or penalized in any way but that does not make that a clean hit.

p.s. If that was Peyton Manning or Tom Brady who got hit by Robert Geathers like that he would have been flagged and would have received a hefty fine.

If if and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry christmas.

badgerbacker
08-18-2007, 02:12 AM
If if and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry christmas.

And if if's and and's were pots and pans, the whole world would be a kitchen. Neither of those clever little sayings changes the fact that Antwan Barnes' hit and others are still bushleague even if they aren't penalized.

Mr. Stiller
08-18-2007, 02:13 AM

Aaron Smith got flagged for being pushed at Brees feet. He didn't even touch him.

BigDawg819
08-18-2007, 02:16 AM
And if if's and and's were pots and pans, the whole world would be a kitchen. Neither of those clever little sayings changes the fact that Antwan Barnes' hit and others are still bushleague even if they aren't penalized.

You say bushleague and I, along with countless others including professionals, say its not. Its a part of the game and all your bitching isn't going to change it. If the punter had his head in the game he wouldn't have gotten jacked up, but he did and he got up and walked it off like a man. As opposed to coming on an internet forum and whining like a school girl......

badgerbacker
08-18-2007, 02:21 AM
You say bushleague and I, along with countless others including professionals, say its not. Its a part of the game and all your bitching isn't going to change it. If the punter had his head in the game he wouldn't have gotten jacked up, but he did and he got up and walked it off like a man. As opposed to coming on an internet forum and whining like a school girl......
Well lucky for me, there are plenty of other school girls here to keep me entertained by complaining about my whining.

Can I ask you, what does "bushleague" mean, in your own words?

Also, I'll paste what my previous post said since it may have been missed when it was buried on the last page.

"Just because something is legal, doesn't make it clean. The hit was completely bush league. Part of sports is being a good sportsman and controlling and policing yourself.

BigDawg, we aren't in 4th grade here...that means not everything is black/white, right/wrong, or good/bad. Obviously, as you say, it is merely our opinion that this play was dirty. But you have to admit that not all things legal are necessarily clean plays.

I guess it's just like running up the score in basketball or stealing the pitcher's signs in baseball...just one of the many unwritten rules in sports. Some people believe that these rules should be followed, while others seem to believe they are for suckers and will do anything not explicitly defined to be against the rules, regardless of whether or not it seems right."

BigDawg819
08-18-2007, 02:42 AM
Well lucky for me, there are plenty of other school girls here to keep me entertained by complaining about my whining.

Can I ask you, what does "bushleague" mean, in your own words?

Also, I'll paste what my previous post said since it may have been missed when it was buried on the last page.

"Just because something is legal, doesn't make it clean. The hit was completely bush league. Part of sports is being a good sportsman and controlling and policing yourself.

I guess it's just like running up the score in basketball or stealing the pitcher's signs in baseball...just one of the many unwritten rules in sports. Some people believe that these rules should be followed, while others seem to believe they are for suckers and will do anything not explicitly defined to be against the rules, regardless of whether or not it seems right."

I'm done with your whining and crying because all you're trying to do is convince people that you're right and everyone else is wrong. Not going to happen! The play was a football play, it wasn't cheap, it wasn't illegal, it wasn't bush league. These plays happen all the god damn time and when its your hometeam its an example of great devotion and hard work, but when its another team then all this ridiculous crying comes out. Get over it! This is football, its a contact sport and part of contact is getting your bell rung if you don't pay attention. If you don't like it then go watch golf!

PalmerToCJ
08-18-2007, 02:54 AM

Sour grapes? Man you manage to get the Chiefs into the conversation of every thread.

Green was bound to have that happen, he scrambled two or three times before that happened and each time he waited longer to get down. He was still in the air when Geathers was already on his way then Kennison went ahead and gave him an extra boost on top of it. If Green hadn't tried to get that one extra yard he would've been fine.

badgerbacker
08-18-2007, 03:01 AM
I'm done with your whining and crying because all you're trying to do is convince people that you're right and everyone else is wrong. Not going to happen! The play was a football play, it wasn't cheap, it wasn't illegal, it wasn't bush league. These plays happen all the god damn time and when its your hometeam its an example of great devotion and hard work, but when its another team then all this ridiculous crying comes out. Get over it! This is football, its a contact sport and part of contact is getting your bell rung if you don't pay attention. If you don't like it then go watch golf!
Fair enough. Just for my sanity though, please know that I'm just stating my opinion and I'm not trying to make you change yours. That's why I said before that not everything is black and white. This absolutely falls in the gray area, which is why we are disagreeing. (At least it's gray for me, some people might think there is absolutely nothing wrong with it)

I'm just trying to say that there are unwritten rules in every sport. In my opinion, one of those in football is that blindsiding someone who has no chance of making a play on a ball carrier shouldn't be done. It makes no difference what team does it, I still think it is bush. When I was in high school, I can remember a time when a kid on my own team absolutely smoked a player behind a play after an interception. You are right that a lot of guys on our team cheered and thought it was awesome, I still thought it was bush though.

And lastly, I'm not trying to "whine and cry." You don't have to listen to what I'm saying, and I know you probably won't, but don't try to insult me. I'm not out there with picket signs trying to get Antwan Barnes thrown out of the league or saying he should be suspended or anything like that. Hell, I don't think he should have been penalized! I just wish football was a little more like hockey, in that players can somewhat police each other by paying back members of the opposition who do things that could be considered dirty. Maybe that will happen though, and Barnes will get his back some day.

niel89
08-18-2007, 04:35 AM
it was kinda a weak play. while not illegal or penalized, it was a little unnecessary.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-18-2007, 08:25 AM
A rookie is a rookie they will do stupid things to try to impress the coaches. I was gonna make a thread for this but couldn't find a better video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5OVXRuqKdE
It's skins DT Lorenzo Alexander who wants to make the team with his helmet off still dives at the QB and his teammate if you could see in the replay they had on tv hit him hard as hell helmet to head, his face was bleeding all over, but he was a gamer.

Bohleive
08-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Saying he wasn't in the play is moronic, the guy was trying to make the tackle and he got blocked, period. He was out of the play? Was he moving toward the ball carrier on the live field of play or not? Intimidation is a big part of football people, if you knock the sh*t out of somebody chances are you get in their head and that often affects their play. If you wanna watch peaceful, finnesse games watch the Arena league or flag football, not the ravens. He was a rookie trying to possibly win a starting job; he's trying to show up on film, clearly he did.

skinzzfan25
08-18-2007, 09:34 AM
A rookie is a rookie they will do stupid things to try to impress the coaches. I was gonna make a thread for this but couldn't find a better video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5OVXRuqKdE
It's skins DT Lorenzo Alexander who wants to make the team with his helmet off still dives at the QB and his teammate if you could see in the replay they had on tv hit him hard as hell helmet to head, his face was bleeding all over, but he was a gamer.

Yeah I saw that, good dedication to the play, I really like him he has been impressive so far.

badgerbacker
08-18-2007, 10:38 AM
OK, I'm done trying to say whether it was clean or dirty. I still can say safely though that it's not an impressive hit at all. The end result was great, yes...it looks amazing when you watch it on video. If he wins a starting job over this hit though...it's a little pathetic. Any person in the NFL could make a hit like this if they thought it was necessary to blindside a punter.

ShutDwn
08-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Saying he wasn't in the play is moronic, the guy was trying to make the tackle and he got blocked, period. He was out of the play? Was he moving toward the ball carrier on the live field of play or not? Intimidation is a big part of football people, if you knock the sh*t out of somebody chances are you get in their head and that often affects their play. If you wanna watch peaceful, finnesse games watch the Arena league or flag football, not the ravens. He was a rookie trying to possibly win a starting job; he's trying to show up on film, clearly he did.

So, you enjoyed the hit Donovin Darius put on Robert Furgeson. Should anyone who saw that as way over the top go watch flag football? Donovin was just trying to tackle a guy and not give up a big gain, should that make it clean and or necessary?

http://www.onmilwaukee.com/images/articles/czaban122204_story1.jpg

Unlike Darius, he had time to think about what he was doing, and every opportunity to just push him over.

Mr. Stiller
08-18-2007, 11:48 AM
So, you enjoyed the hit Donovin Darius put on Robert Furgeson. Should anyone who saw that as way over the top go watch flag football? Donovin was just trying to tackle a guy and not give up a big gain, should that make it clean and or necessary?

Unlike Darius, he had time to think about what he was doing, and every opportunity to just push him over.

Darius was tackling the ball carrier.. Barnes Tackled an innocent bystander.

Bohleive
08-18-2007, 12:22 PM

WTF? First off you contricted yourself right there, if he was just trying to tackle a guy and prevent a big gain, why did he perform an illegal tackle? Isn't your whole poitn that he wasn't just trying to make a tackle? Secondly did I say anything about Darius; did I miss something? Third Barnes' hit was not illegal. Your argument is totally absurd. You're comparing apples and oranges; one was a clothes line tackle and the other wasn't even a tackle,it was a legal block. The punter was running towards the ball carrier, trying to make a tackle and he got blocked. Seriously, are you dense? Those two hits have nothing to do with each other. Thanks for the meaningless picture, it really spices up your totally random and irrelevant presentation.

trkaline
08-18-2007, 01:07 PM
I enjoyed both hits thats smash mouth football at its finest.

Twiddler
08-18-2007, 01:49 PM
I think its a pretty cheap shot but I apparently must be wrong based on the opinions that I have been reading....

BrownsTown
08-18-2007, 01:52 PM
I usually hate Ravens, but Punters and Kickers are players too. How many times have we seen possible TD returns broken up by the kicker? They're out there, they're looking to make the tackle, they're fair game. And hey, the guy got right back up. No harm, no foul.

Mr. Stiller
08-18-2007, 02:43 PM
I usually hate Ravens, but Punters and Kickers are players too. How many times have we seen possible TD returns broken up by the kicker? They're out there, they're looking to make the tackle, they're fair game. And hey, the guy got right back up. No harm, no foul.

So if I see a Offensive lineman running down field to stop an INT thats 50 yards away, should I cut block him?

If a Running back breaks a run out from the 1 yard line.. when he's 20 yards from the opponents endzone, should the DT just explode into an offensive lineman? A safety into a WR?

It's one thing if they were in the play, but just to hit someone like that for the sake of hitting someone is dangerous.

Yea the Punter got up, but what would you be saying if perhaps, his neck broke? That was a helmet to helmet contact. Concussion, Broken neck, etc. Many of injuries could've resulted from that. Which Was unnecessary.

trkaline
08-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Someones gotta case of the Coulda woulda shoulda's...In all seriousness him doing that mighta been a tad excessive, but he was on a football field, he is a rookie, it's a preseason game he wants to stand out,and the guy didn't get hurt so that's irrelevant...oh and the fans loved it....just not the Eagles fans...

Bohleive
08-18-2007, 03:23 PM
So if I see a Offensive lineman running down field to stop an INT thats 50 yards away, should I cut block him?

If a Running back breaks a run out from the 1 yard line.. when he's 20 yards from the opponents endzone, should the DT just explode into an offensive lineman? A safety into a WR?

It's one thing if they were in the play, but just to hit someone like that for the sake of hitting someone is dangerous.

Yea the Punter got up, but what would you be saying if perhaps, his neck broke? That was a helmet to helmet contact. Concussion, Broken neck, etc. Many of injuries could've resulted from that. Which Was unnecessary.

Did Barnes cut block Rocca? Please stop bringing up unrelated and irrelevant situations. And for the last time, how was the punter not in the play? Did he not punt the ball? Was he not running towards the opposing ball carrier? Was he not strapped up and between the white lines?

Mr. Stiller
08-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Did Barnes cut block Rocca? Please stop bringing up unrelated and irrelevant situations. And for the last time, how was the punter not in the play? Did he not punt the ball? Was he not running towards the opposing ball carrier? Was he not strapped up and between the white lines?

I was merely using the same method as that play.

The Punter and Barnes were nearly 30-40 yards away from end result of the play.

He was jogging towards it.

I made other instances that fit into that criteria and were just asking if those were fine as well.

Like I stated. That hit was illegal because of the helmet-to-helmet contact. I was just stating other illegal was to hit people and figured that.. With the parameters set-up by this, then these illegal plays should be great football as well?

My examples were:

OL jogging 50 yards downfield to tackle someone who got an int. As the play ended.. do I jump head first into their helmet? Do I chop block them? The OL was never really a threat to a play he wasn't going to get to.. Which is the same in the case of this Punter.

The play was practically over 30 yards downfield when Barnes attacked him. I just used other situations to see if those are indeed considered "Fair"

keylime_5
08-18-2007, 04:01 PM
Helmet to helmet cheap shot on the punter, who wasn't looking and was away from the play. Oh well, rookie trying to look sharp out there...but I still say it was dirty even though legal.

Mr. Stiller
08-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Helmet to helmet cheap shot on the punter, who wasn't looking and was away from the play. Oh well, rookie trying to look sharp out there...but I still say it was dirty even though legal.

I honestly thought Helmet to helmet and the launching part were extremely illegal

nobodyinparticular
08-18-2007, 04:39 PM
Since you guys asked for my viewpoint on this:

1. Putting the hit on the punter was fine. It was a hard hit, sure, but from watching the clip, Rocca was clearly looking to make a play on the runner. I.E. his eyes were looking up field and he was running. Laying a block on him is fine in this instance.

2. What wasn't cool, however, was the helmet to helmet contact that caused Rocca's helmet to fly off. That is illegal and should have gotten a flag. Laying a hard shoulder on him and sending him flying would have been perfectly fine, but it was clearly helmet to helmet and as such it was illegal.

3. Specifically for Barnes, the hit was just stupid. I know putting a hit on someone feels really good and everything, but seriously this is kind of pathetic. If you want to put a hit on someone, pick a real man to lay into. Not the punter. It's not illegal and nor should it be, but do you really have to make yourself feel better by hitting the punter? You want to put a hit on someone? Put a hit on Trent Cole, Victor Abiamiri or Brodrick Bunkley.