PDA

View Full Version : EA vs 2K Football Comparison

Man_Of_Steel
08-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Alright guys now that Madden is out many different opinions are being thrown around. Before we dive into this know that I’m not a “2K Fanboy” in fact for the past 5 years I was an “EA Fanboy”. I never gave NFL 2K5 a chance because I thought Madden was the most official, real game on the market. I was at my buddies the other day playing Madden 08 on the 360, I gotta say it didn’t have everything I wanted but it was a giant leap from last year and I’m infacutated with the hitstick 2.0. My buddy wasnt very impressed at all though and kept referring to NFL 2K5 as the best football game ever. He shut off Madden and plugged in the PS2, I very much against my will grabbed a controller and told him 1 game, why on earth are we playing a current-gen three year outdated football game when we have a 08 title of Madden and a next-gen console before us. I went to his house a diehard Madden fan who read and watched every preview, video, news article about the game and has had every Madden since 2000. I left his house really in despair. I enjoyed NFL 2K5 on the PS2 more than I did Madden 08 for the 360. Prior to Maddens release I read alot on MaddenMania and IGN, many posts were from Madden players who wanted more from the franchise and now I look and say NFL 2K5 had more and was a better game than what madden is three years later. I was unaware that 2K5 had gangtackles, midair collisions, amzing presentation and a solid running/foot planting engine; one thing that really wowed me was the throwing animation, I never thought Madden had a bad throwing mechanic but after playing 2K5 and seeing the difference, wow. I mean I was really in the dark that 2K5 had gangtackling and midair collisions and now three years later on a next-gen console EA is putting them in Madden and boasting it as a selling point. Okay guys thats just my ramble, again anyone who was posting in the Madden forum prior to release know that I was a huge Madden fan, however once EA’s exclusive NFL license runs out in 2010 I will defanitly give 2K a try.

Here are some videos of NFL 2K5 on PS2/Xbox and Madden 08 on 360.

2K5
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/1173.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/1174.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/1165.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/1161.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/1155.html

Madden
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22364.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22699.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22948.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/23254.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/23505.html

Okay, so that was current-gen 2K5 vs next-gen Madden 08. Both companies have 08 releases All-Pro Football and Madden 08. I used NFL 2K5 in the comparison because I wanted to show where an NFL lisenced football game should be by now. Anyway that’s my rambling, again I still play Madden but now its because it’s the only NFL game on the market and not because I think it’s the best product. I’d like to hear everyones opinions on this.

Mr. Stiller
08-18-2007, 01:25 PM
It seems like Madden is only worried about gimmicky features, while 2k5 is less about graphics and better game feel. Realistic touch.

BrownsTown
08-18-2007, 01:35 PM
If NFL 2k5 is what I think it is, (the game with Warren Sapp on the cover, for PS2?) then it kicks the crap out of madden. I loved that game. The first person camera was fun to use.

Madden 08 looks horrible. All they did was make new tackling animations and make passing harder to do.

Michigan
08-18-2007, 01:38 PM
(the game with Warren Sapp on the cover, for PS2?)

That was 2k4.

2K football always beat up madden in terms of gameplay/graphics. The thing Madden had going for it was the fact that it was Madden. There's actually still a large contingency of 2k5 diehards around, and they even have updated rosters for 2007/08...

BrownsTown
08-18-2007, 01:41 PM
That was 2k4.

2K football always beat up madden in terms of gameplay/graphics. The thing Madden had going for it was the fact that it was Madden. There's actually still a large contingency of 2k5 diehards around, and they even have updated rosters for 2007/08...

Ok, then I've never played 2k5. Actually, that and All Pro football 2k8 are the only 2k games I haven't played. I even played all the old ones for dreamcast, and the gameplay's a whole lot better than Madden, if 2k5 is anything like them it's probably better as well.

jballa838
08-18-2007, 02:32 PM
yeah i still have the box plugged in with 2k5 always in.
i need to get those rosters this year.
and Crib mode was incredibly legit, and my crib is decked out with Emmitt Smith and Jerry Rice's rookie jersey.
plus First Person Football was the greatest.

Brodeur
08-18-2007, 02:52 PM
It's kind of like the baseball video game situation, except that I don't know a single person that prefers the Take-Two series over the MVP series. Either way, I loved the 2K football games and the Madden games I only buy for updated rosters and to basically play franchise mode. The gameplay just bores the crap out of me.

comahan
08-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Uhg, I miss 2k. :[

Shane P. Hallam
08-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Imagine how good it would have been if EA got Baseball rights and 2K got football rights...

Man_Of_Steel
08-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Imagine how good it would have been if EA got Baseball rights and 2K got football rights...

Def, MVP 2005 was pretty much as good as it gets for baseball.

jballa838
08-18-2007, 03:17 PM

Uhg, I miss 2k. :[
QFT.

I think it is kinda weird that the real 2k releases another football game, Madden advertises again. the only game i want to play being made by EA is skate.

Flyboy
08-18-2007, 03:24 PM
I'll be playing 2K5 with 2007/2008 roster updates in about a week or two so I'm stoked. Screw Madden.

BrownsTown
08-18-2007, 03:26 PM
I'll be playing 2K5 with 2007/2008 roster updates in about a week or two so I'm stoked. Screw Madden.

Which is cool because roster updates is pretty much all the new madden offers.

Flyboy
08-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Which is cool because roster updates is pretty much all the new madden offers.

As far as I hear, EA can't even really get that right as they left off some rookies off of certain teams.

BrownsTown
08-18-2007, 03:30 PM
As far as I hear, EA can't even really get that right as they left off some rookies off of certain teams.

I know last year a bunch of rookies that got drafted (from the Browns, Lawrence Vickers, Jerome Harrison, Babatunde Oshinowo) were free agents. And some just weren't there.

jballa838
08-18-2007, 04:01 PM
how? i tryed to update rosters and it didnt work

Flyboy
08-18-2007, 04:05 PM
Xbox & an Action Replay.

EDIT: Annnd, FlyingFinn's 2K5 Roster Editor.

Vikes99ej
08-18-2007, 04:23 PM
EA wins by 3,000 megapoints.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-18-2007, 04:27 PM
The 2k game with TO on the cover was the best football game I have ever played, most importantly was that it was released for $20, Madden stays $49 for like 8 months.

Shane P. Hallam
08-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Could 2K make an NCAA game? Does EA have a contract with the NCAA too?

SeanTaylorRIP
08-18-2007, 04:32 PM
Could 2K make an NCAA game? Does EA have a contract with the NCAA too?

Not sure but the 2k NCAA game on dreamcast blew EA Sports out of the water.

comahan
08-18-2007, 04:32 PM
The 2k game with TO on the cover was the best football game I have ever played, most importantly was that it was released for $20, Madden stays $49 for like 8 months.

Yessir.

I still play 2k5 as a matter of fact. My crib is decked out~

SeanTaylorRIP
08-18-2007, 04:33 PM
Yessir.

I still play 2k5 as a matter of fact. My crib is decked out~

Haha yeah my crib has got everything, I spent crazy hours on that in college.

Flyboy
08-18-2007, 04:38 PM
My main reason for loving 2K5 over Madden (even to this day) is not about the great presentation, but I just preferred the gameplay. It felt more realistic and simulation than Madden and still does to me.

Borat
08-18-2007, 05:36 PM
2K5 had probably the best presentation in a sports video game I've ever seen. And I really liked how the replays would go in a picture-in-picture box so you could pick your next play during the replay. Made the game flow real well.

This is the first year I won't be buying an NFL game. I said this last year and then gave in to the Madden hype. I bought the game, brought it home, played a few games, went back to the store, tried to return it, got denied and finally sold it on ebay. Won't happen this year.

08-18-2007, 05:41 PM
2k5 = Football simulation at its best

Madden = Arcade football

Man_Of_Steel
08-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Well EA's contract with the NFL is 5 years so...no K6, K7, K8, K9, K10. The next NFL 2K football game will be in 2011 and thats if EA dosent extend the lisence. Also if 2K were to be able to make a NFL game they would have to do so without ESPN, EA locked that up for 15 years.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-18-2007, 06:03 PM
2K5 had real halftime highlight reels. I have Madden 07 and the presentation is awful. Commentary sucks 2 radio announcers, no half time show, and now even no celebration after winning the super bowl, NBA live atleast has a decent half time show, Madden last year disappointed.

Flyboy
08-18-2007, 06:12 PM
2k5 = Football simulation at its best

Madden = Arcade football

That's precisely how I look at it.

Man_Of_Steel
08-18-2007, 06:19 PM
2K5 had real halftime highlight reels. I have Madden 07 and the presentation is awful. Commentary sucks 2 radio announcers, no half time show, and now even no celebration after winning the super bowl, NBA live atleast has a decent half time show, Madden last year disappointed.

This year is no prize either, I already traded it in and until Madden 08 only traded one game in my entire life.

jballa838
08-18-2007, 06:23 PM
this is why i didnt buy this or ncaa. EA cant make good sports games.
(skate looks sick though, but it is action sports)

Canadian_kid16
08-18-2007, 06:27 PM
this is why i didnt buy this or ncaa. EA cant make good sports games.
(skate looks sick though, but it is action sports)

I really like NCAA, I don't understand how it only got an 8.3....recruiting is alot more in-depth, and just playing the game looks and feels better...

08-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Maybe when 2k is allowed to make NFL games again, they'll get a contract with CBS or FOX.

Borat
08-18-2007, 07:18 PM
Maybe when 2k is allowed to make NFL games again, they'll get a contract with CBS or FOX.

Or NBC ......

jballa838
08-18-2007, 07:18 PM
I really like NCAA, I don't understand how it only got an 8.3....recruiting is alot more in-depth, and just playing the game looks and feels better...
yeah, just because something got better then the year before doesnt mean it should be a 9 if it isnt a 9. Madden payed off ign and all them to give it good reviews anyway.

LTgiants
08-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Or NBC ......

madden works for nbc so they arent getting a contract with nbc

Borat
08-18-2007, 07:35 PM
madden works for nbc so they arent getting a contract with nbc

good point.

BrownsTown
08-18-2007, 11:05 PM
yeah, just because something got better then the year before doesnt mean it should be a 9 if it isnt a 9. Madden payed off ign and all them to give it good reviews anyway.

Seriously, the gameplay essentially stays the same so you need to add extra features to get people in. They did great at this in NCAA, new game mode (for 360 at least) and completely updated recruiting. Madden, nada.

TimD
08-18-2007, 11:10 PM
It seems like Madden is only worried about gimmicky features, while 2k5 is less about graphics and better game feel. Realistic touch.

so true... i played Madden 08 on PS3 and hated it so much... i hope the ps2 version has better gameplay because im getting it tomorrow

JETS5128
08-18-2007, 11:44 PM
i always liked the play and feel of madden. but the presentation flat out blows. why cant they just get along and collab on a game, it would be sick

nfrillman
08-19-2007, 12:19 AM
Again, I like the game, maybe just because its the NFL, but I like it. With that being said though, I don't see why there isn't a much bigger atmosphere for the Super Bowl and winning it, a little pregame show for the upcoming week, a weekend wrap up show, and mock drafts. It just doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do. Oh, and why can't there be multiple broadcasting teams., It would not be that hard to do, ESPN has plenty of people who could broadcast NFL games. It'd just be nice to hear a different voice from week to week.

awfullyquiet
08-19-2007, 12:39 AM

amen.
if there was a way to have a massive revolt for them to switch, and everyone pays an extra five bucks for each game.
i'd pay 70 bucks for MVP 09 and 2K9

BrownsTown
08-19-2007, 12:42 AM
amen.
if there was a way to have a massive revolt for them to switch, and everyone pays an extra five bucks for each game.
i'd pay 70 bucks for MVP 09 and 2K9

I'll second the Amen and then go "What you say?".

Flyboy
08-19-2007, 12:43 AM
Again, I like the game, maybe just because its the NFL, but I like it. With that being said though, I don't see why there isn't a much bigger atmosphere for the Super Bowl and winning it, a little pregame show for the upcoming week, a weekend wrap up show, and mock drafts. It just doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do. Oh, and why can't there be multiple broadcasting teams., It would not be that hard to do, ESPN has plenty of people who could broadcast NFL games. It'd just be nice to hear a different voice from week to week.

My thing about Madden isn't even so much about the presentation. It just feels... like an arcade football game that TRIES really hard to be simulation football. 2K5 is/was not perfect by ANY stretch of the imagination (the franchise logic sucks ass, the depth chart blows, DB AI problems [which can be fixed with some slider settings]), but I always feel like I'm playing a FOOTBALL game.

TCU
08-19-2007, 12:59 AM
Im done with Madden, i dont get why the xbox version has more than the 360? The gameplay is the same every year. This was the first year i didnt buy the game and i havent even played it yet and i dont miss it at all. the 2k series were much better.

steelersfan43
08-19-2007, 05:08 AM
Yea, not getting madden this year.

neko4
08-19-2007, 09:20 AM
boycott?
im going to get the new madden, but if it doesnt live up to atleast 50% of my expectations then i may as well return it. (see how low i set the bar?)

ccB
08-19-2007, 09:21 AM
If anyone has played All Pro Football 2k8 ( or whatever its called) than you would see the 2K football games fell off hard, very hard. Awful game.

Madden 08>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> All Pro Football 2k8. As much as I loved 2k5, times are a changing and they definitely, lost their touch.

neko4
08-19-2007, 09:25 AM
2K should do what the NCAA games do, have rosters where the players are QB#4 and such. ANd the team names are also blank, and customizable. That way someone can go in and make all the edits with the team names and buy the rosters

BufFan71
08-19-2007, 09:37 AM
2k5 was a game that was more popular than madden, and was ahead of them gameplay wise....thats why madden bought the liscene....

3 years later we finally get wat 2k5 had 3 years ago

ccB
08-19-2007, 09:37 AM

Are you blind? Theres a ton of things they fixed in madden thus the spike in review grades, last years franchise in madden was about as deep as a kiddy pool, this year they updated that added new ways to scout/draft, and brought back owner mode. The players all move more fluidly and faster. There is a fantasy draft again, the new player abilities are pretty sweet and fun to use. A lot of things have been revamped, its far from perfect but its equally as far from unplayable some of you people just look for every little flaw. You are going to be waiting a long time for the perfect game to be made.

jballa838
08-19-2007, 12:53 PM
i just emailed the NFL and gave them a piece of my mind.

Borat
08-19-2007, 01:18 PM
post your email here.

Ewing
08-19-2007, 01:28 PM
I never actually got around to playing a lot of 2K football because I really loved Madden at the time. I still like Madden but as any wrestling fan can tell you, lack of competition means lack of quality, it's still a good game but if had some competition I think they would try harder and put in more features. This will be my first year buying the game for the 360 and I really hope pass coverage is better than it was in the most recent PS2 versions. It was like there was no difference between Champ Bailey and Fred Thomas in that game; they were easy as hell to destroy on offense and then when you played as them on defense they were pretty much the same player.

jballa838
08-19-2007, 02:08 PM
i'll see if they emailed me back, but i sent it through NFL.com so i dont have a copy

neko4
08-19-2007, 08:37 PM
i'll see if they emailed me back, but i sent it through NFL.com so i dont have a copy

why not EA.com?
just rebought 2k5!!

jballa838
08-19-2007, 08:39 PM
why not EA.com?
just rebought 2k5!!
because i was telling the NFL they need to back out of their contract because it is bad for football video games and business

ccB
08-19-2007, 08:57 PM
because i was telling the NFL they need to back out of their contract because it is bad for football video games and business

You know the NFL doesnt give a rats ass what you think about football video games right? Like you are not being serious thinking you are going to make a difference or even get a reply for that matter are you?

BrownsTown
08-19-2007, 09:21 PM
You know the NFL doesnt give a rats ass what you think about football video games right? Like you are not being serious thinking you are going to make a difference or even get a reply for that matter are you?

Well, at least you're positive.

ccB
08-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Well, at least you're positive.

I was just trying to decipher if he was being serious or not. You guys really think the NFL is going to back out of what I am sure is a multi million dollar deal with another company because one kid emails them? Get with it fellas.

jballa838
08-19-2007, 10:40 PM
I was just trying to decipher if he was being serious or not. You guys really think the NFL is going to back out of what I am sure is a multi million dollar deal with another company because one kid emails them? Get with it fellas.
yeah, it was half kidding. i was serious, but i was gonna see if they replied mostly

neko4
08-19-2007, 11:45 PM
well if a bunch of people send em and e-mail, start petitions and protest there is a chance
http://www.earthhopenetwork.net/constitution-lrg.jpg
???

Borat
08-20-2007, 12:08 AM
well if a bunch of people send em and e-mail, start petitions and protest there is a chance
???

What is unconstitutional about putting up your product (in this case, the exclusive NFL license) for bid? EA won the bidding and gets exclusive rights to the license for 5 years. I don't think the Supreme Court will be hearing that case.

08-20-2007, 04:50 AM
What is unconstitutional about putting up your product (in this case, the exclusive NFL license) for bid? EA won the bidding and gets exclusive rights to the license for 5 years. I don't think the Supreme Court will be hearing that case.

But it all points to one thing : No choice

Modano
08-20-2007, 04:55 AM
boycott?
im going to get the new madden, but if it doesnt live up to atleast 50% of my expectations then i may as well return it. (see how low i set the bar?)

Boycott should be the wat to go, but it's almost impossible.
I think that what EA does should be illegal, too. What they do is killing the opposite distribution, just because they can't beat them with better videogames.

First, I've never played an MLB game in my life, so the "MLB videogames chapter" is out of my speaking. But, looking at 3 games in particular - Madden, NBA Live and Fifa - it's not hard to say that EA sports versions of these games just suck compared to the other similar games you can buy.

EA made the first great Soccer game. It was in '97 and FiFA '97 was one of the first games with multiple leagues, championship etc in the new era.
Then, in 2000, Konami started to make a game that was way better than FIFA, ISS Pro Evolution Soccer.
The game changed his name in PES (pro evolution soccer) and was so better than FIFA that there wasn't even competition.
EA wasn't able to create a better game, their game was an arcade, and was far off from a real soccer simulation. So what they did? They buyed the licenses and PES was force to make a game where Chelsea is named London FC, Liverpool Meyerside, Inter Lombardia and so on.
But still PES 3 had an amazing success, first because an editor allowed you to edit team and player names, second because FIFA couldn't have the exclusive for the national teams, so if a player played for his national team, his name was unchanged.

After long years of battles, FIFA lost the exclusive licenses for some leagues because their game was so bad and the majority of the people (especially in Europe) only used PES. The soccer national leagues started to think that was stupid to give the exclusive license to the EA when everyone was buying the Konami product (Serie A, Ligue 1, Liga Spagnola, Bundesliga all were represented in the PES series).
Finally, on 20th of october 2007, Pro Evolution Soccer will have the licenses for the most famous leagues in the world, ending EA monopoly.

With Madden is the same thing. NFL 2K5 is still the best football game. 2K5 had gang tackles and other features that Madden didn't have until this year's version. And these features are still worse than the ones of a 2005 game. Look at a gang tackle in Madden and a gang tackle in 2K5.
That's a very good highlight video of what NFL 2K5 is capable of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsv2eYapMLw

In the NBA saga, NBA Live is just a bad game. NBA 2K7 is one of the best games I've played for 360, NBA Live 2007 is probably the worst game I've ever played for 360.
And a similar case can be made for the NHL 2K vs EA NHL series.

EA creates arcade. That's all they do. And when they realised they're losing againts other producers, they buy the exclusive licenses to kill them.
Imagine what'd happen if they buy the exclusive license for the NBA!

P.S.: Sorry for the grammar, but I haven't the time to re-read the post...

Scar
08-20-2007, 10:19 AM
I haven't bought a football game since 2K5. I've rented two versions of Madden since, but they were lousy. Team management options were the only thing that EA had over 2K Sports. Gameplay was always 2K's forte, especially on the defensive side of the ball where Madden has always been flat-out pathetic.

Philliez01
08-20-2007, 11:14 AM
I think that what EA does should be illegal, too. What they do is killing the opposite distribution, just because they can't beat them with better videogames.

Well isn't killing off the opposition the point of business? Business A may not be as good as Business B but if they have more money, why not go for exclusive. It's all about money in this situation and it makes sense, get the most popular sport in the country in terms of fans and boom! You have leverage over buyers as they don't have much of a choice. Add in their marketing abilities at EA then well, it's easy to see why they did this.

Also, EA did the same thing with NASCAR. Sierra (makers of NR2003) made the best racing game ever with nr2003. However EA saw their potential and then negotiated to get an exclusive deal. NASCAR, in terms of ratings, is the 2nd most watched sport in the country (at least the Daytona 500 and Brickyard 400 are more watched than all but the Super Bowl, if I can correctly recall) and it's a business thing. Ever notice why there isn't an exclusive franchise to the NHL and NBA?

someone447
08-20-2007, 12:28 PM
???

Isn't high school naiveté charming?

Man_Of_Steel
08-20-2007, 01:49 PM
Its sad that the wait for a decent football game will be until 2011.

ccB
08-20-2007, 01:53 PM

Ive been playing a decent football game for the last week or so, Madden is fine you guys are just a bunch of nitpiickers. Also whose to say when the contract runs out that Madden doesnt secure it again just as fast.

Vikes99ej
08-20-2007, 02:43 PM

Yeah!! That In-Helmet camera is going to be sooo sweet on 2K11!!!

jballa838
08-21-2007, 10:46 PM
more like 2008
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/814/814249p1.html
licensed or not, it sounds like fun. no pre-timed animations.
"no two tackles ever the same"