PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Contracts Too Big

TimD
08-19-2007, 10:07 AM
Money changes everything
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell figures to score points with veteran players for his thoughts regarding rookie contracts. Speaking to Detroit media on a training camp visit with the Lions last week, Goodell acknowledged his concern. "It's difficult when a rookie comes into a locker room and has [a significant] signing bonus," he said. "It's difficult [for] the veterans to provide that kind of leadership that's so important on teams. Money changes that dynamic a little bit." Goodell said he planned to speak with player union head Gene Upshaw. His point was that the NFL wasn't looking to save money but redirect the dollars "to players who have earned that on the field through their accomplishments and leadership."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2007/08/19/tag_can_be_a_touchy_subject/?page=4

I think a salary cap for rookies would be a great idea. The NHL has an entry level salary for draft picks. Since the NFL makes loads more money than the NHL does their rookie salary caps would be much higher, but it would reduce the amount of money teams have to pay to unknown prospects.

BrownsTown
08-19-2007, 10:20 AM
I love the idea of a rookie salary cap. Make going to the NFL more about the opportunity and less about the $Dough.

princefielder28
08-19-2007, 10:37 AM
I like what the NBA does with rookie contracts and would like to see the NFL take a similar approach

Twiddler
08-19-2007, 10:44 AM
I think it would definitely be a step in the right direction. When a player comes in as the highest paid player at his position when he hasn't played a single down in the NFL, you know you have a problem.

Nitschke-Hawk
08-19-2007, 11:41 AM
Yeah and the contracts keep getting bigger. AJ Hawk the 5th pick in the 06 draft has a 6 year, something around $36 million contract. Darrelle Revis was picked in the middle of the first round in the 07 draft and he has a 6 year $36 million contract.

Scotty D
08-19-2007, 12:10 PM
Yeah and the contracts keep getting bigger. AJ Hawk the 5th pick in the 06 draft has a 6 year, something around $36 million contract. Darrelle Revis was picked in the middle of the first round in the 07 draft and he has a 6 year $36 million contract.

Revis's agent ripped off the Jets though.

zoinks
08-19-2007, 12:12 PM
When a player can be one of the highest paid players in the history of the sport without ever stepping on the field, there's a problem.

Sveen
08-19-2007, 03:18 PM
Of course the contracts are too big. You have to prove yourself in the league before you become one of the highest payed guys at your position.

benchod
08-19-2007, 03:20 PM
More than having more money than 90% of the team, its also about missing camp time.

There's no reason for JaMarcus to have missed so much camp time, its not like he's pulling a Manning or Elway where he refuses to play for the team, he's just trying to suck out every penny he can, and he has every right to do so under the current contract system.

Supposedly, after Quinn's performance in his debut, he's considered to be competing for the starting job. This is completely hypothetical, but imagine if he didn't miss so much time in camp.

There are plenty of situations showing why a rookie cap would make sense, but chances of it happening soon are pretty slim.

Moses
08-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Rookie contracts are a joke. If you draft a bust in the first few picks it will cripple your franchise for years. Players need to earn their money. I like the NBA system.

ks_perfection
08-19-2007, 05:37 PM
This is a 2 Tier system, taking early your guanrteed rich for life, taken late and you play many years for very little to get a new contract.