PDA

View Full Version : -***The Bow's 2008 NFL Mock Draft***-

thebow305
08-19-2007, 05:09 PM
I've kinda disappeared for a while, but I'm back with a VERY Premature Look at next year's draft. Could be very good... could be very bad... we will see.

1 Vikings Andre Woodson Quarterback Kentucky
2 Buccanneers Jake Long Offensive Tackle Michigan
3 Titans Darren McFadden Running Back Arkansas
4 Redskins Calais Campbell Defensive End Miami
5 Falcons Brian Brohm Quarterback Louisville
6 Raiders Glen Dorsey Defensive Tackle Louisiana State
7 Cowboys (v/Browns) DeSean Jackson Wide Reciever California
8 Texans Kenny Phillips Safety Miami
9 Chiefs Sam Baker Offensive Tackle Southern California
10 Lions Antoine Cason Cornerback Arizona
11 Jaguars Derrick Harvey Defensive End Florida
12 Giants Dan Connor Outside Linebacker Penn State
13 Bills Limas Sweed Wide Reciever Texas
14 Cardinals Brian Cushing Outside Linebacker Southern California
15 Dolphins Rey Maualuga Inside Linebacker Southern California
16 Packers Jonathan Stewart Running Back Oregon
17 Jets Chris Long Defensive End Virginia
18 Bears James Laurinaitis Linebacker Ohio State
19 Patriots (V/49er's) Malcolm Jenkins Cornerback Ohio State
20 Broncos Steve Slaton Running Back West Virginia
21 Cowboys Frank Okam Defensive Tackle Texas
22 Steelers Justin King Cornerback Penn State
23 Bengals Keith Rivers Outside Linebacker Southern California
24 Panthers Andre Fluellen Defensive Tackle Florida State
25 Ravens Barry Richardson Offensive Tackle Clemson
26 Eagles Michael Oher Offensive Lineman Ole Miss.
27 Seahawks John Carlson Tight End Notre Dame
28 49ers (v/Colts) Tyson Jackson Defensive End Louisiana State
29 Rams Early Doucet Wide Reciever Louisiana State
30 Chargers Jonathan Hefney Safety Tennessee
31 Saints Sedrick Ellis Defensive Tackle Southern California
32 Patriots Jasper Brinkley Inside Linebacker South Carolina

Let me know what you think everyone!

HoopsDemon12
08-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Sweed would be a nice compliment to evans on teh other side... but i would much rather have adarius Bowman.... or a cornerback or linebacker or even a defeisive lineman with that pick

PalmerToCJ
08-19-2007, 05:34 PM
I can honestly say I don't know a thing about Rivers but if he's a WLB then I'm all for it. I don't think Marvin will go after a player for SLB this year given what Jeanty has done there and the potential that Henderson is flashing.

bills_red
08-19-2007, 05:38 PM
Limas Sweed bbbbboooooooooooo

Man_Of_Steel
08-19-2007, 06:53 PM
All these mock drafts with the Bills taking a WR, they have a good young core and Buffalo wont want to waste a first rounder on a position that is in pretty good shape. I they are going either line, moreso Oline in the first though I wouldnt be surprised to see them take a LB to team with rising stars Crowell and Poz.

glazeduck
08-19-2007, 08:09 PM
Might want to do a bit more homework on the status of the Bills needs.

First of all, we definitely DO NOT have a good young core at wr. True, we've got Evans, who's a bonafide #1 and hopefully will be for a long time. Outside of him we also have Roscoe Parrish, who's also young, but he'll forever be a slot wr due to his lack of size. Really, those are our only weapons at wr. Price and Reed would be #3 or 4 on most other teams depth charts, and neither (along w/ parrish and evans) have the size of a possession reciever capable of moving the chains and being a redzone weapon and safety blanket for Losman...a big and talented WR should definitely be viewed as a need, whether they view it as a big enough need to use a 1st rounder on, remains to be seen. Right now Marcus Monk in the 2nd or 3rd sounds awfully appealing.

Our DLine IS a need, so you got that part right, but it seems like our OL is pretty set right now. We just spent a buttload of $$ on Dock (LG) and Walk (RT), have a probowler in Peters at LT, seem to really like fowler in the middle, and also seem to be comfortable with the comittee at RG for now. Additionally, we have pretty good young depth with Pennington being able to play either tackle spot in a pinch and a 4 or 5 man rotation in the middle. You could make a claim that RG is a need, but it CERTAINLY isn't more of a need than DL. We're shallow at DE and, outside of Shoebel, are lacking in talent and athleticsm. DT is also shallow right now, and it seems that no one has really emerged as a solid starter, with Tripplet, McCargo and Williams all showing flashes of greatness and inconsistency...If Glenn Dorsey were available, he'd be a pretty good bet to be a Bill next year.

It seems the coaches are real happy w/ our LBing core too. While they may not be stars, guys like Kieth Ellison (as a starter) and Coy Wire, John Digiorgio and Mario Hagan (backups and special teams play) provide enough production to keep us at very worst decent. If a superstar OLB was there it's certainly a possibility...no one saw the Whitner pick coming, so I suppose i wouldn't rule ANYTHING out, but OLB doesn't seem to be a huge need either.

Needs you probably should have mentioned (along w/ DL and WR)... Pass catching/redzone threat TE, and a solid cb.

neko4
08-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Im not a big fan of Stewart but nice Packers pick

cardsalltheway
08-19-2007, 08:48 PM
I really don't think the Broncos would draft Slaton, for kinda the same reason that I thought Reggie would be bad for the Texans. He's a back that isn't especially patient and his ability to grind it out for four or five yards every time isn't exactly a sure thing. That's not really what you want from a ZBS back.

That's the only pick that really stands out to me. Everything's up in the air at this point obviously though.

princefielder28
08-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Im not a big fan of Stewart but nice Packers pick

same thing here

Jvig43
08-19-2007, 09:48 PM
This looks great, nice job, too bad their are too many Buffalo fan nay sayers.....and by too many i mean two.

23trufant
08-19-2007, 11:25 PM
Good Seahawks pick dont know too much about John Carlson other than he is probably one of the top two TEs in the upcoming draft.... does anyone have a comparison to him?

Mr. Stiller
08-19-2007, 11:39 PM
Steelers don't need a first round corner.

We need a premier pass rusher on the Right side.. Give us Vernon Gholston or Tommy Blake.

Caddy
08-20-2007, 12:17 AM
If the Bucs are picking that high we need to take a QB so Brian Brohm.

thebow305
08-20-2007, 01:01 AM
Steelers don't need a first round corner.

We need a premier pass rusher on the Right side.. Give us Vernon Gholston or Tommy Blake.

No.... you drafted Timmons for the Weakside this year and Woodley for the Strongside, those are your future outside pass rushers. Other than that you have Arnold Harrison, James Harrison, & Clark Haggans on the outside, I would say a pass rushing outside backer is the least of your team needs. I even thought tagging two pass rushers with your first two picks this year was a little excessive, so I doubt they would do that next year as well.

A top flight cornerback would be much more probable there considering how high you guys were on Darrelle Revis, and probably would have taken him if it wasn't for the Jets trading up and snatching him right from underneath you. Tell me the last time you had a cornerback that was anymore than average.. I BEG YOU. Enough said.

A top guard like Michael Oher or Will Arnold would be a strong possibility as well seeing as how Faneca looks more and more likely to be heading out after this season.

Just a thought.

Mr. Stiller
08-20-2007, 01:23 AM
No.... you drafted Timmons for the Weakside this year and Woodley for the Strongside, those are your future outside pass rushers. Other than that you have Arnold Harrison, James Harrison, & Clark Haggans on the outside, I would say a pass rushing outside backer is the least of your team needs. I even thought tagging two pass rushers with your first two picks this year was a little excessive, so I doubt they would do that next year as well.

No.... We drafted Timmons to be a future Mac LB. The idea was use him as a 3rd down cover or speed rusher this season, but train him for Mac. Once Farrior retires they're moving Foote to Buck, Timmons to Mac. So We still need a top flight Weakside pass rusher. Haggans is a UFA after this season and we're big on not giving 3rd contracts. James Harrison could show potential but I think he was a great Utility spot starter, not a full-timer. And Harrison is merely depth, he's ok but nothing that you want starting.

A top flight cornerback would be much more probable there considering how high you guys were on Darrelle Revis, and probably would have taken him if it wasn't for the Jets trading up and snatching him right from underneath you. Tell me the last time you had a cornerback that was anymore than average.. I BEG YOU. Enough said.

Rod Woodson. That wasn't that difficult. We still have to see the effects of Tomlins tutelage on the secondary. In fact, I know it's just pre-season but this is the best i've ever seen the defense play. We still have Ricardo Colclough and Bryant McFadden.. former 2nd rounders coming up.. and we have Anthony Madison and William *** as developing. Jim Wexall said (Who got it from Tomlin) That Revis was a backup in case we couldn't get Timmons. Only because he would've been BPA. Ike Taylor played Lights out in 05. I think with Timmons/Woodley as rushers this year.. coupled with LeBeaus new wrinkles I think our DB's are fine. I think a mid round developmental prospect is more important than adding a top tier CB(4th or 5th rounder like Mike Jenkins of USF, or Darnell Terrell of Mizzou). Ironically.. We won the superbowl with a less than stellar CB group.. yet when we had Lake, Woodson and Co. We lost the superbowl.. food for thought.

A top guard like Michael Oher or Will Arnold would be a strong possibility as well seeing as how Faneca looks more and more likely to be heading out after this season.

I like those guys and I'm open to OL thought. However I think the OL depth in this draft is deep enough that we can grab a top tier pass rusher and answer LG/RT in rounds 2-3. A guy like Heath Benedict, Adam Kraus, Jordan Grimes, Will Arnold could be around in rounds 2-3.. as well as Gosder Cherilous, John Greco, Jeff Otah.

We Need a premier OLB.. if we get a great pass rush, our zone blitz will be more effective. In fact that was the premises of it's design. You don't need top tier corners to run it. Just solid corners that allow your dangerous LB core to get to the QB. Well Adding Gholston/Blake would give us a dangerous LB core.

Just a thought.

I have no problem with suggestions or thoughts, but it's as if you're telling me whats best for my team. I study Pittsburgh and read about them daily.. I know whats going on.

thebow305
08-20-2007, 01:39 AM
Tomlin's tutelage on the secondary? Minnesota's secondary was garbage last year, and the year before while the front seven were playing on a championship-calibre level. With the cornerbacks play being the worst of it. The only reason that unit was somewhat mentionable the last couple years is because of Darren Sharper. Ike Taylor is and will never be more than a number 2 at best. Ike played " LIGHTS OUT?? " Damn I guess I missed that. I know many Steelers fans that lothe the fact of going into another season of Ike being the number one guy. For Jesus's sake man, play McFadden, he's the best corner you have! Rod Woodson was a long time ago my friend. A better secondary would help the front seven out and for as long back as I can remember, your front seven is not the problem, it is the secondary. So it is time to start focusing your picks and money in that direction for a change. That's all I'm trying to say!

Also, Justin King is a local kid and the top CB available IMO in next year's draft. He would be a great pick, not only as a lock-down corner, but would help upgrade the KR and PR unit immedately where I don't believe Willie Reid is the answer, I could be wrong though. Especially if he was there, you guys would be foolish not to take him. But for the reasons you mention, I see Gholston as a viable option as well. Tommy Blake will not be a first rounder next year in my own estimation.

Mr. Stiller
08-20-2007, 02:02 AM
Tomlin's tutelage on the secondary? Minnesota's secondary was garbage last year, and the year before while the front seven were playing on a championship-calibre level. With the cornerbacks play being the worst of it. The only reason that unit was somewhat mentionable the last couple years is because of Darren Sharper. Ike Taylor is and will never be more than a number 2 at best. Ike played " LIGHTS OUT?? " Damn I guess I missed that. I know many Steelers fans that lothe the fact of going into another season of Ike being the number one guy. For Jesus's sake man, play McFadden, he's the best corner you have! Rod Woodson was a long time ago my friend. A better secondary would help the front seven out and for as long back as I can remember, your front seven is not the problem, it is the secondary. So it is time to start focusing your picks and money in that direction for a change. That's all I'm trying to say!

I tend to disagree. Ike shut down CJ 3x, Marvin Harrison 2x, Rod Smith and Capped it off by shutting down his guy in the Superbowl and adding a Pick. I don't think Ike is a great #1. But he's sufficient. I want to play McFadden, when he shows that he can be a solid #2. He's tried for 2 seasons to supplant DeShea Townsend and he can't do it. He can't take quicker WR's. For the longest time I would agree that our secondary is the problem and not our front 7.. it's slowly going the other way. Come opening day, Larry Foote will be the only LB under 30. Farrior is going to retire soon. Clark Haggans was never elite and will be replaced by a much better LaMarr Woodley. Larry Foote is solid but not elite. I think he's better where Farrior is as well. I figure adding Gholston should actually give us enough Youth in our front 7 (Draft day: Gholston*21*, Timmons *21*, Foote *27*, Woodley *23*) Whereas I think with Polamalu/Anthony Smith manning the safety spots, with Ike(If he's at 2k5 form) and DeShea should be solid enough to let our offense make plays. I don't put Vikings season on Tomlin. He did amazing teaching the corners in Tampa Bay. And from what I've seen/read he's doing very good this season as well. I agree that the secondary could use a huge upgrade, however with the plethora of 3-4 ROLB and OL talent this year I think a developmental prospect in the mid rounds (Like I said.. Ike/Bmac/Coke/G-a-y/Madison) should get us through atleast until 2009 draft where I'm all for taking a 1st or 2nd round corner. I just weigh the pass rush more than the pass coverage.. for either of the systems we may run (Tampa2 or zone blitz).

Also, Justin King is a local kid and the top CB available IMO in next year's draft. He would be a great pick, not only as a lock-down corner, but would help upgrade the KR and PR unit immedately where I don't believe Willie Reid is the answer, I could be wrong though. Especially if he was there, you guys would be foolish not to take him. But for the reasons you mention, I see Gholston as a viable option as well. Tommy Blake will not be a first rounder next year in my own estimation.

I really like Justin King, trust me I do.. If i had to take a corner round 1, it would certainly be him. However I just don't think it's as bad. We have been losing LB, and aging our front 7 yet we haven't really brought in youth to supplant it. I think we need to give Willie Reid time. He was pretty good at KR at FSU, but he had a Lisenfranc injury on the first KR he had at San Diego last year. I think given some time he'll make something happen.

And like I said. I don't think it should be a round 1 priority next year.. but in 09.. You'll hear me calling for a corner.. Hopefully King stays in school for my sake.

Zbikowski_9
08-20-2007, 04:14 AM
Do you realy think the Vikings are the worst team in the NFL?

i do like Woodson but

lod01
08-20-2007, 08:46 AM
The Dolphins picking 15th? They are worse than last year and they picked 10th. They are in the running for the #1 overall. Easily a top 5.
Brohm will be taken before Woodson every day of every week.

thebow305
08-20-2007, 12:06 PM
The Dolphins picking 15th? They are worse than last year and they picked 10th. They are in the running for the #1 overall. Easily a top 5.

We will see my friend... we will see.

23trufant
08-20-2007, 12:08 PM

Noone knows the order and its his favorite team its not like he had them winning it all.

But i tend to agree with you Brohm over Woodson but it could happen.

TimD
08-20-2007, 01:53 PM
good pick... long or okam would be great for the jets

Apriori
08-20-2007, 02:31 PM
T. Jackson will have to REALLY tank the season for the Vikings to go and take a QB first overall. I suppose that he would if they're picking first overall, though.
If the Bucs tank and pick second overall, I think they'd take a QB as well.

If Manningham comes out, he's a first round pick. I don't think he'll come out, though. Do you think so too, and is that why you don't have him listed?

thebow305
08-20-2007, 06:18 PM
T. Jackson will have to REALLY tank the season for the Vikings to go and take a QB first overall. I suppose that he would if they're picking first overall, though.
If the Bucs tank and pick second overall, I think they'd take a QB as well.

If Manningham comes out, he's a first round pick. I don't think he'll come out, though. Do you think so too, and is that why you don't have him listed?

I considered that possibility. Also, I just didn't find the right fit for him. In my mind, Doucet, Sweed, and Jackson all rate out higher than him and I could not find more than 3 teams that had WR as their top priority in round 1. Maybe it will change with a later update. It remains to be seen, way too early for this type of thing, but I tried my best and am happy with the way it turned out for the most part.

TimD
08-20-2007, 08:26 PM
i must say i like the jets pick.... howie long hof

chris long future hof???

Apriori
08-20-2007, 08:52 PM
I considered that possibility. Also, I just didn't find the right fit for him. In my mind, Doucet, Sweed, and Jackson all rate out higher than him and I could not find more than 3 teams that had WR as their top priority in round 1. Maybe it will change with a later update. It remains to be seen, way too early for this type of thing, but I tried my best and am happy with the way it turned out for the most part.

I understand.
I don't think he'll come out, though. We're going to be graduating a bunch of key offensive players (Long, Henne, Hart) and although we have solid youth (Ryan Mallett, Brandon Minor, Greg Matthews) we may not have a veteran to help the offense mesh. Braylon Edwards was in a similar situation--lots of veterans graduating, new QB, new RB, but he stayed and got us to the Rose Bowl.

thebow305
08-21-2007, 12:33 AM
I understand.
I don't think he'll come out, though. We're going to be graduating a bunch of key offensive players (Long, Henne, Hart) and although we have solid youth (Ryan Mallett, Brandon Minor, Greg Matthews) we may not have a veteran to help the offense mesh. Braylon Edwards was in a similar situation--lots of veterans graduating, new QB, new RB, but he stayed and got us to the Rose Bowl.

Good point!

BTW.... I think Mallett is gonna be an absolute stud... better than Henne, for sure. The kid has a friggin' rocket for an arm... literally.

Finsfan79
08-29-2007, 08:45 AM
15 Dolphins Rey Maualuga Inside Linebacker Southern California

nice pick up to replace Zach

Still I would rather have a RT

Crow
08-29-2007, 09:04 AM
6 Raiders Glen Dorsey Defensive Tackle Louisiana State
Beautiful.

Vikes99ej
08-29-2007, 09:29 AM
Good Vikings pick.

Sniper
08-29-2007, 10:46 AM
Good point!

BTW.... I think Mallett is gonna be an absolute stud... better than Henne, for sure. The kid has a friggin' rocket for an arm... literally.

Eh Henne's got a cannon too. It's his decision making and the reliance on that cannon too much that gets him in trouble sometimes.

Don't mind the Eagles Oher pick. Put him at guard and bounce Andrews outside to tackle. We could also look LB, WR, or DE too

thebow305
08-29-2007, 10:51 AM
Eh Henne's got a cannon too. It's his decision making and the reliance on that cannon too much that gets him in trouble sometimes.

Don't mind the Eagles Oher pick. Put him at guard and bounce Andrews outside to tackle. We could also look LB, WR, or DE too

Andrews is the best RG in the league, maybe 3rd best overall behind Faneca and Hutchinson, why would you move him to tackle. Oher is already prjected as a Tackle at this point, put him at RT and you guys would be set.

Turtlepower
08-29-2007, 10:54 AM
Dan Connor is an inside LB... We need an outside LB. Enough said.

Sniper
08-29-2007, 10:58 AM
Andrews is the best RG in the league, maybe 3rd best overall behind Faneca and Hutchinson, why would you move him to tackle. Oher is already prjected as a Tackle at this point, put him at RT and you guys would be set.

Because he has the potential to be an even better tackle. Andrews is such a friggin beast he could easily be a top RT. I prefer Oher at guard myself. Our future line with that pick.......Justice-Jean Gilles-Jackson-Oher-Andrews....Oh **** I just crapped myself :)

Sniper
08-29-2007, 10:58 AM
Dan Connor is an inside LB... We need an outside LB. Enough said.

Connor can play either

Turtlepower
08-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Connor can play either

In that case I think he is over rated and a good weakside LB like Keith Rivers would be better.

thebow305
08-29-2007, 11:57 AM
In that case I think he is over rated and a good weakside LB like Keith Rivers would be better.

It's too early to tell who the top outside Linebacker will be next year, but I think you are right about Rivers, I think he will be the top WLB next year for the 4-3 defense because I think his speed will help him edge out Connor in the end. I think Cushing is the top OLB though really for any scheme.

etk
08-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Decent Bucs pick. I like Long but I'm not sure our coaches would prefer him over Baker because Baker is a better pass blocker.