PDA

View Full Version : Draft Needs after game 3.. another Mr. Stiller Production

Mr. Stiller
08-19-2007, 10:37 PM
Well I know some people may disagree with me.. I may not see all the things wrong with our Offense and Defense so I weigh those concerns/views with mine and do the best I can.. With that Said.. here' are my Picks

1) Vernon Gholston, RDE/ROLB, Ohio State
6'4, 260lbs, 4.64

Vernon Gholston is that rare athlete. Amazing strength with great speed. He is playing that Leo role with OSU which has already given him some experience in a 3-4 Type lineup. He has rare strength that few can really compete with. IMO this guy has potential in his young life to be as dominant or better than Shawne Merriman. Gholston is already better in coverage and against the run game than Merriman was at the end of his rookie season.

2) Gosder Cherilous, LT/RT, Boston College
6'7 315lbs, 5.11

Gosder is just an imposing monster of a tackle. He has been starting since his true freshman year. He has the Technique, power and nastiness for the RT position, with the rare LT ability to mirror and his footwork. I look at it this way. We have Capizzi. With 2 years he should be able to start. If Capizzi has progressed to great LT level, then Gosder gives us an almost untouchable Tackle duo. Rivaling Cincy. He or Capizzi should be able to step into RT next season to replace Starks.

3) Heath Benedict, OG, Newberry(SC)
6'6 330lbs, 4.92

Heath is a guy that is built like Jared Gaither, except he's not lazy. He's coming from a small school.. if he was from a D1 school he'd probably be a first rounder. He can play LT and LG. He's a Very Very strong pass blocker, but he's fearless in the run game. You thought Faneca was a great run blocker.. This kid has potential to get to that level.

4) Kendall Langford, DT/DE, Hampton
6'6 295lbs, 4.87

Kendall is cut from that powerful,agile and strong cloth that you wish every defender was. Sure he played for Hampton, but we got a 4th rounder from Hampton 2 drafts ago and he's more than met expectations. Langford has amazing size at 6'6 295lbs. Even with that size he's still more than capable of playing DE. He racked up 55 Tackles, 15.5 TFL's, 8 sacks, 1 PBU, 2 QBH, 1 FF, and 1 FG Block. He's got that ability to hold the point in the 3-4DE Spot, athleticism and power for the 4-3 DE.. and the strength/penetration ability for the 4-3 UT spot. Great all around pick.

5) Darnell Terrell, CB, Missouri
6'2 200lbs, 4.38

Darnell is a rare athlete. He's 6'2 200lbs and runs a 4.3 40'. He's not afraid to play the run game. He's very intelligent. He's humble. I think if Bryant McFadden cant' pull the starter job this year we grab Terell here, have him earn a spot for a season then work him in. He could be an elite corner if his intangibles meet up with his potential.

6) Mike Cox, FB/H-Back, Georgia Tech
6'0 255lbs, 4.68

Cox is nicknamed by his teammates, "Bull", because he is just that. He hasn't been given the opportunity to run in college much (Because GT hasn't needed to have him run, just throw it up for CJ), but I'd say he's on par or a bit better than McClain of last year.. he's certainly more apt to running in front of Parker.. Le'Ron McClain wasn't that fast, Cox is fast and devastating. He's also a very solid receiver. Averaging 10.6 YPC. I'd have loved Owen Schmitt, but he's slower, and isn't near the blocker

7) Frank Morton, NT, Tulane
6'2 322lbs, 5.15 11 GS; 30 TT, 8.5 TFL, 4 SK, 2 PBU

With no significant additions to our NT position since Hokie we add Morton.. he's not blazing fast.. but he has power and explosion.. gets into the backfield fast and can make plays.

EDIT:

Guys with UDFA Tender...

Mike Kokal, QB, Miami(OH)

Little Ben. Has a solid arm, great feet and solid pocket presence, could pick up from Ben easily.

Jalen Parmele, RB, Toledo

The RB we love in Pittsburgh. Runs a sub 4.5 has 6'0 220lbs of body to him. Played at Toledo so you know he's a good receiver. He also handles Kick/Punt returns. A win-win in my eyes. Why? Because he could eventually take over For Najeh, Building our all UDFA Backfield. He's just like Najeh, just not injury prone. A receiver, A pounder, a Kick returner, and a punt returner.. whats not to love.

Mikey Henderson, WR/KR, Georgia

I think they'll want to relegate Reid to WR if he breaks out this season. I doubt they re-sign Ced Wilson and Washington is spotty at best. This way Reid can slide up to #3 as our deep stretch the field threat and we replace him with an equally dangerous SEC Returnman. Henderson doesn't get drafted because he provides little upside at WR. 5'8 170lbs, but he runs a 4.29 40' and averaged nearly 15 yards a punt return with 2 td's on 06 in the SEC.

Derek Uperesa, LT/RT, St. Francis(PA)

I live about 30 minutes from campus (In fact I know nearly the whole campus body) Uperesa is a 6'6 330lb LT/RT local boy. What would be more interesting than possibly having 2 UDFA Tackles that are local non-D1 boys.

Mike Martinez, C/OG/OT, New Mexico State

After Zierlein wanted Blalock last year for a Center conversion because of his stout and big frame... I think he may ask for a post-draft prospect to mold into that. Martinez is a big guy. Playing RT/C for NMSU the past 2 seasons. He can work on the PS for a year or 2 see if he develops into that smart/nasty powerful Center that Zierlein wants.

Ropati Pitoitua, DT, Washington State

Pitoitua is one of three humongous Defensive lineman that Washington State they had. First Mkristo Bruce last year. This year Pitoitua and Johnson are the massive DL. Pitoitua plays DE and DT. He's a 6'8 298lb. He has such powerful legs that he literally springboards the lineman backwards. Couldn't hurt for more competition right?

Aaron Johnson, DT, Washington State

Here's the other of the Massive Duo for WSU. Johnson is 6'6 315lbs. Imagine how scary our defense would be since we could go 3 deep at any position with Morton at NT, and Johnson/Pitoitua at DE.

Marcus Dixon, DE/DT, Hampton

Here is a UDFA guy for John Mitchell to mold. He's played DE in a 4-3 for 4 years now. He's 6'5 298lbs. He's got 4.8 speed, NT power. With some work he could be a viable backup for our 3-4 or 4-3 DL.

Trevor Scott, DE/OLB, Buffalo

Former TE moved to DE. Scott has 4.6 speed. Even though he played at Buffalo, here's his stats;

45 Total Tackles, 13.5 TFL's, 9 Sacks, 1 PBU.

He's 6'5 255lbs. With us wanting to get younger and more talented at OLB.. Might as well add him. He'd certainly be an instant upgrade over Arnold Harrison or Marquis Cooper. With a year or 2 on the PS, the raw talent is there Keith Mitchell would love this kid. Imagine a faster, rawer Aaron Schobel.

Ben Moffitt, ILB, South Florida

Moffitt has raw talent. He's a good leader of South Florida. I think he could develop into a great ST leader and Replace Clint Kreidwaldt in a few years. Anything to upgrade our defense right?

Charles Godfrey, CB/FS, Iowa

Very raw Corner. Has 4.3 speed, played at a big 10 school. Could play a backup CB/FS role once developed. If he's here post season.

Wesley Woodard, SS/WLB, Kentucky

If we do run some Tampa 2 this kid could play some WLB. he's 6'2 225lbs. He had over 100 tackles last season. He's a ballhawk runs a sub 4.5 40' and IMO if we stick mainly 3-4 we could always slide him back to SS to challenge Mike Lorello for that #5 spot or possibly to take over when Carter eventually leaves.

Man_Of_Steel
08-19-2007, 10:52 PM
Great writeup on the prospects however I think alot of those guys will be taken far ahead of where you have them slotted. To be honest I am really gonna look for Darnell Terrell this year because as you guys know I am intrigued by corners over 6 foot, thanks for pointing him out. Rep is on the way when it lets me, very good writeup although I think our need for a corner is more pressing than everyone on here thinks.

Man_Of_Steel
08-19-2007, 10:56 PM
Also with Kinder being injured and out for his senior season I see him as a 7th rounder/ UDFA. Taking a flyer on him would be great, I actually think he compares pretty favorably to Steve Smith of NY.

Mr. Stiller
08-19-2007, 10:59 PM
Great writeup on the prospects however I think alot of those guys will be taken far ahead of where you have them slotted. To be honest I am really gonna look for Darnell Terrell this year because as you guys know I am intrigued by corners over 6 foot, thanks for pointing him out. Rep is on the way when it lets me, very good writeup although I think our need for a corner is more pressing than everyone on here thinks.

It's possible, But then again, this time last year.. everyones big guy was.. Quentin Moses.

I think Ike/*** will be the future duo. They Love DeShea's veteran intelligence and his understanding of their offense.. thats *** in a nutshell.

Mr. Stiller
08-19-2007, 11:00 PM
Also with Kinder being injured and out for his senior season I see him as a 7th rounder/ UDFA. Taking a flyer on him would be great, I actually think he compares pretty favorably to Steve Smith of NY.

I think Kinder will apply for a Medical Redshirt..

I have guys with UDFA levels now that I had in mind if you want me to add them.

I will anyways.

Man_Of_Steel
08-20-2007, 04:43 PM
Whos the fastest QB in NCAA most likley to change position in the NFL?

terribletowel39
08-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Pat White, i know they say he is getting better at the pass but he is just as fast or faster than Slaton and just as agile. and he is little as balls, not at all the QB size he needs to be.

DeathbyStat
08-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Pat White, i know they say he is getting better at the pass but he is just as fast or faster than Slaton and just as agile. and he is little as balls, not at all the QB size he needs to be.

I think he will go to wide out

terribletowel39
08-20-2007, 08:09 PM
I think he will go to wide out
i think he has to go wideout. he is too small to be a QB or a RB. he has the height and all but only weighs 182 lbs.

Mr. Stiller
08-20-2007, 08:16 PM
i think he has to go wideout. he is too small to be a QB or a RB. he has the height and all but only weighs 182 lbs.

Guys gotta realize that the weights really fluctuate after the first 2 rounds.. Ryan, White, and Johnson are all under 200.

I still think White has a shot at QB. His career average is 65.9% Completion.. And he's worked on his release and ability.. he still has 2 more years to prove his QB ability.

terribletowel39
08-20-2007, 08:23 PM
Guys gotta realize that the weights really fluctuate after the first 2 rounds.. Ryan, White, and Johnson are all under 200.

I still think White has a shot at QB. His career average is 65.9% Completion.. And he's worked on his release and ability.. he still has 2 more years to prove his QB ability.
agreed but even if he does get up to 200 lbs thats still way light for a QB especially a running QB.

Mr. Stiller
08-20-2007, 08:50 PM
agreed but even if he does get up to 200 lbs thats still way light for a QB especially a running QB.

Agreed. Doesn't mean he can't be a successful QB....

Since 1999:

Anthony Wright: 6'1 195lbs
Marc Bulger: 6'2 202lbs
Mike Vick: 6'0 201lbs
Luke McCown: 6'4 204lbs
Colt Brennan: 6'3 205lbs
Josh Johnson: 6'4 198lbs
Graham Harrell: 6'2 198lbs

Pat White really only needs to add 10 lbs over the next 2 years.. unless he wants more.

THav916
08-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Love Gholston. I was wondering just today if Timmons could play ILB. The one thing I didn't like about two OLB's in the first two rounds is it eliminated us from taking any sleepers this year or studs in future years. Even if Timmons comes on I don't think he's the type of OLB I'm personally looking for. But I thought as the 2nd ILB he might be able to make the transition and be a Kendrell Bell like player.

Can Timmons play ILB? Even if YOU don't think he should, can he?

Mr. Stiller
08-20-2007, 09:10 PM
Love Gholston. I was wondering just today if Timmons could play ILB. The one thing I didn't like about two OLB's in the first two rounds is it eliminated us from taking any sleepers this year or studs in future years. Even if Timmons comes on I don't think he's the type of OLB I'm personally looking for. But I thought as the 2nd ILB he might be able to make the transition and be a Kendrell Bell like player.

Can Timmons play ILB? Even if YOU don't think he should, can he?

Thats why I'm grabbing Gholston. I think Timmons is.. to explain simply.

He has amazing speed. I don't think he runs 40's well, however there was a play against Washington where Timmons was supposed to bump the receiver off his route.. but he missed and in turn stayed with the receiver.. stride for stride. We haven't had a coverage LB like that.

This may be going far.. but I see him as our Adalius Thomas.. a guy that can play inside/Outside and just make plays. I think his technical position is RILB. Add Gholston to ROLB and Brinkley/Ezra Butler to play Buck.

Giving us a group of 4 guys that can play for the next 10-15 years and not only that but have us capable of 4-3 lineups as well.

Woodley and Gholston can drop their hand. I like Butler more because he can be a killer pass rusher. Having 4 guys that can rush the passer from anywhere..

Then you have Foote for Backup RILB, James Harrison for LILB.. Arnold Harrison for Backup LOLB, and the guy Jeremy Thompson in the 7th round (A guy I'm heavily looking at) for backup ROLB.

R to L: Gholston ~ Timmons ~ Butler ~ Woodley
R to L: Thompson ~ Foote ~ J Harrison ~ A Harrison.

THav916
08-20-2007, 10:22 PM

He has amazing speed. I don't think he runs 40's well, however there was a play against Washington where Timmons was supposed to bump the receiver off his route.. but he missed and in turn stayed with the receiver.. stride for stride. We haven't had a coverage LB like that.

This may be going far.. but I see him as our Adalius Thomas.. a guy that can play inside/Outside and just make plays. I think his technical position is RILB. Add Gholston to ROLB and Brinkley/Ezra Butler to play Buck.

Giving us a group of 4 guys that can play for the next 10-15 years and not only that but have us capable of 4-3 lineups as well.

Woodley and Gholston can drop their hand. I like Butler more because he can be a killer pass rusher. Having 4 guys that can rush the passer from anywhere..

Then you have Foote for Backup RILB, James Harrison for LILB.. Arnold Harrison for Backup LOLB, and the guy Jeremy Thompson in the 7th round (A guy I'm heavily looking at) for backup ROLB.

I agree with a lot of this. But let's not bench Larry Foote for a rookie 2nd round pick just yet. I love the idea of Woodley and Gholston (Harvey, Blake, etc) on the outside and Timmons and Foote on the inside. Gotta have some experience.

Man_Of_Steel
08-21-2007, 10:19 AM

Foote is solid. No point drafting high to replace him.

Smooth Criminal
08-21-2007, 12:03 PM
I'm not ready to bench Foote yet either. He has been solid in the past and has 3 years left on his deal. I think they'll let him play that deal out before looking to add 2 more linebackers in the first two rounds again this year.

I love the Gholston pick but I think he, timmons, foote, and woodley is a great group of players.

Man_Of_Steel
08-21-2007, 01:05 PM
I'm not ready to bench Foote yet either. He has been solid in the past and has 3 years left on his deal. I think they'll let him play that deal out before looking to add 2 more linebackers in the first two rounds again this year.

I love the Gholston pick but I think he, timmons, foote, and woodley is a great group of players.

I totally agree. Although we need to ease up a bit on Gholston, everytime I leave this board I think hes already on the team.

Man_Of_Steel
08-21-2007, 03:02 PM

Why is Farrior not in this equation?

Smooth Criminal
08-21-2007, 03:19 PM
Farrior is likely to retire after this season and if not his contract is up after next season. Either way his days as a Steeler are numbered.

Mr. Stiller
08-21-2007, 04:41 PM
I agree with a lot of this. But let's not bench Larry Foote for a rookie 2nd round pick just yet. I love the idea of Woodley and Gholston (Harvey, Blake, etc) on the outside and Timmons and Foote on the inside. Gotta have some experience.

That wasn't immediate.. I'm looking more towards 2-3 years down the road when thats our roster. Foote will be in his 30's.. He's solid and smart, but doesn't possess outworldly talent either.

Man_Of_Steel
08-21-2007, 07:07 PM
Farrior is likely to retire after this season and if not his contract is up after next season. Either way his days as a Steeler are numbered.

I disagree, hes still playing at a high level and has many more years in him. I guarentee he wil be a steeler for the next 3-4 years.

mikehop05
08-22-2007, 10:11 PM
I disagree, hes still playing at a high level and has many more years in him. I guarentee he wil be a steeler for the next 3-4 years.

mm i wouldnt call him bein a steeler... but def in the league i think

Mr. Stiller
08-22-2007, 11:18 PM
mm i wouldnt call him bein a steeler... but def in the league i think

I think Farrior has 2 years left on his contract.

However I do think that Timmons likely will move to Mac and if not this coming year (Blake Harvey or Gholston) then definitely in 09.

S4L
08-23-2007, 09:20 AM
Great writeup with lots of detail. Although I personally think that after using the first two picks last year on an OLB and a hybrid, O-Line should be our priority in round one next year.

I like Kinder too, but he'll return to Pitt next year since he never redshirted.

Mr. Stiller
08-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Great writeup with lots of detail. Although I personally think that after using the first two picks last year on an OLB and a hybrid, O-Line should be our priority in round one next year.

I like Kinder too, but he'll return to Pitt next year since he never redshirted.

I think the depth at LT and OG in this draft way outways the DE/OLB

Man_Of_Steel
08-23-2007, 10:51 AM
Well, all of you guys should know by now that if Malcolm Jenkings comes out thats who I want in the first.

Mr. Stiller
08-23-2007, 10:56 AM
Well, all of you guys should know by now that if Malcolm Jenkings comes out thats who I want in the first.

I think a Corner is needed in either 09 or 10.. but we have more gaps at LB and OL/DL than need for another highly rated corner to never live up to expectations.

and If I had to pick a CB htis year... Antonio Rogers-Cromartie.. 6'2 188lbs 4.32 40' and absolutely great hands.

Man_Of_Steel
08-23-2007, 11:25 AM
Agree to disagree. I want corner, Oline.

Mr. Stiller
08-23-2007, 02:29 PM
Agree to disagree. I want corner, Oline.

If Corner is the route.. I'm not a fan of Jenkins at all.

1st round: King or Terrell
2nd round: Lowery or Cromartie.

Man_Of_Steel
08-23-2007, 06:34 PM
If Corner is the route.. I'm not a fan of Jenkins at all.

1st round: King or Terrell
2nd round: Lowery or Cromartie.

Why dont you like Jenkings?

PittPete
08-24-2007, 09:16 AM
Jenkins was the only defensive player from OSU that looked like he belonged on the field against Florida. Rogers-Cromarte is the real deal too; but I have to agree with Stiller on this one. We're in better shape at corner than O-line. And our lbs could use an uprade. We currently have some depth at linebacker but not one allpro on the roster.

Mr. Stiller
08-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Why dont you like Jenkings?

I saw a lot of him last year. First off I'm not a fan because I don't like the idea of taking 1 in round 1. If I had to, Terrell Thomas is much faster and more physical.. King has a higher ceiling and provides a KR threat.

But I'd rather take a mid rounder like Rogers-Cromartie, Mike Jenkins, Darnell Terrell. Cromartie is the complete package, Jenkins is a zone guy and Terrell is a physical type that just needs to be brought up in his style of defensive play.

Mr. Stiller
08-25-2007, 10:30 AM
I have edited my mock though:

1) Gholston
2) Rogers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State (Physical 6'2 190 4.34)
3) Chris Williams, OT, Vandy
4) Heath Benedict, LG, Newberry
5) Keilen Dykes, 3-4 DE/43UT, West Virginia
6) Owen Schmitt, H-back, WVU
7) Jeremy Thompson, DE/OLB, Wake Forest.

richdg
08-27-2007, 10:39 AM
I like Schmidt, but I think he will go more 4th/5th round. Most boards have him in the top 100 now, but with the underclassmen, he will drop a little.

Mr. Stiller
08-27-2007, 11:24 AM
I like Schmidt, but I think he will go more 4th/5th round. Most boards have him in the top 100 now, but with the underclassmen, he will drop a little.

I like Schmitt.. But I don't think we need him.. That was a pick for a friend.. It fit.

if it were me that would be an OG.