PDA

View Full Version : Gerard Warren traded to Raiders

23trufant
08-20-2007, 11:05 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/news/story?id=2982669

He was traded from Denver to Oakland for an undisclosed draft pick.

BrownsTown
08-20-2007, 11:08 AM
Hahaha poor Raiders. Hey Butch, that Gerard Warren over Ladanian Tomlinson and Richard Seymour pick is looking great now, huh?

SuperKevin
08-20-2007, 11:10 AM
I actually like this move for the Raiders. Adds more pieces to an already solid defense

keylime_5
08-20-2007, 11:14 AM
Backup to Warren Sapp...assuming he doesn't get cut.

23trufant
08-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Hahaha poor Raiders. Hey Butch, that Gerard Warren over Ladanian Tomlinson and Richard Seymour pick is looking great now, huh?

That was a terrible pick but he has been solid over the last couple of years.

Moses
08-20-2007, 11:41 AM
That was a terrible pick but he has been solid over the last couple of years.

Injuries ruined his career. Hindsight is 20/20.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-20-2007, 11:59 AM
He was our best DL last year, I think.

Jughead10
08-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Raiders are gonna get screwed on this trade. Why would the Broncos trade them anything significant? I'd be willing to bet that Warren is hurt. Broncos try and pull this shady crap all the time.

SubNoize
08-20-2007, 12:07 PM
nice pick up for the Raiders, adds some depth at one of the weaker positions on D. Warren will likely give Sapp some more breathers as they have similar style. Another reason for this move is the Raiders not liking their DE play against the run and have moved Kelly over to plug on running downs, something they were expecting from Huntley but haven't gotten. Moses and Sapp will def. be in on passing down because of their ability to get to the backfield, Warren may actually play on run plays quite a bit.

Flyboy
08-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Good. I didn't want him to be a Saint.

niel89
08-20-2007, 12:21 PM
Raiders are gonna get screwed on this trade. Why would the Broncos trade them anything significant? I'd be willing to bet that Warren is hurt. Broncos try and pull this shady crap all the time.

No, the reason is he doesnt fit in with the new defensive scheme. Denver wants some big men to hold the point of attack, instead of a guy who gets up field.

Jughead10
08-20-2007, 12:23 PM
No, the reason is he doesnt fit in with the new defensive scheme. Denver wants some big men to hold the point of attack, instead of a guy who gets up field.

Either way they would never trade anyone who has value to a team within the division.

ks_perfection
08-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Either way they would never trade anyone who has value to a team within the division.

There not competiting against eachother for the division crown or even a playoff birth. It doesn't give the Raiders a decent chancec of avoiding the sweep. Whenever one team is rebuilding its irrelvant if the other team is in the division or not.

SubNoize
08-20-2007, 12:30 PM

why wouldn't they, the only other team looking into Warren via trade was Indy, so look at it from denver's perspective. They have a guy who no longer fits the style they are looking for, which they want some monster pluggers, and your options are A. trade to another playoff contender and have him potentially strenghten a major weakness or B. trade him to a divisional rival who is going to struggle to win more than 4 or 5 games this season. Smart front office takes B, you get the draft pick instead of cutting him and don't have to worry about it biting you hard in the ass, unless Oak. beats Denver and that puts them a loss away from a playoff spot, not likely.

princefielder28
08-20-2007, 12:33 PM

better than releasing him, which they were strongly considering

Jughead10
08-20-2007, 12:40 PM
better than releasing him, which they were strongly considering

Its better than that. But teams don't make intra divsion trades. And Denver has somewhat of a reputation of having a, for lack of a better word, "dirty" front office. Trading guys who they know have injury problems, that they are trying to hide.

Moses
08-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Its better than that. But teams don't make intra divsion trades. And Denver has somewhat of a reputation of having a, for lack of a better word, "dirty" front office. Trading guys who they know have injury problems, that they are trying to hide.

The trade will get reversed if Warren fails his physical...you can't hide injuries from another team.

Jughead10
08-20-2007, 12:44 PM
The trade will get reversed if Warren fails his physical...you can't hide injuries from another team.

You can try. And not every team picks up everything on their physicals.

Borat
08-20-2007, 12:48 PM
A draft pick from Oakland is worth more than one from Indy as well.

SubNoize
08-20-2007, 12:49 PM

Warren was healthy enough to have been practicing with their first team before all of the sudden he was asked to pack up his stuff.

Jughead10
08-20-2007, 12:54 PM
Warren was healthy enough to have been practicing with their first team before all of the sudden he was asked to pack up his stuff.

I'm not saying he is def hurt. But I wouldn't be surpised. Either way the main point is I fully expect the Raiders to be getting the bad end of the deal on this. Perhaps Denver could have put him on the first team to raise interest in him?

Moses
08-20-2007, 12:55 PM

What do you mean you can try? If a player fails their physical, the trade will be overturned, everytime. This has been an NFL rule forever.

Do you not think the Raiders would do due dilligence when acquiring a player? It's like the draft. Doctors look at absolutely everything.

slightlyaraiderfan
08-20-2007, 12:56 PM
I think the Raiders must have some of the toughest physicals to pass, I can count 2 or 3 times where we had to pick up players that we needed, but weren't able to finalize a deal because they didn't pass their physicals. Fonoti and Lenny Walls are 2 names that come to mind right now, they both had deals in place but failed physicals..

Jughead10
08-20-2007, 12:56 PM
What do you mean you can try? If a player fails their physical, the trade will be overturned, everytime. This has been an NFL rule forever.

Do you not think the Raiders would do due dilligence when acquiring a player? It's like the draft. Doctors look at absolutely everything.

You can still try though. They tried it with Al Wilson. Never let on how seriously hurt he was. Said he passed Denver's physical and then tried to trade him.

SubNoize
08-20-2007, 12:57 PM
I'm not saying he is def hurt. But I wouldn't be surpised. Either way the main point is I fully expect the Raiders to be getting the bad end of the deal on this. Perhaps Denver could have put him on the first team to raise interest in him?

what bad end, if Warren makes the squad by Sept. 9th it's worth a 5th rounder, if he doesn't make the team which he wouldn't if horribly injured, the Broncos get nothing, it was a great move by the Raiders front office and one that covers their ass if he doesn't pan out by months' end.

Jughead10
08-20-2007, 12:57 PM
I think the Raiders must have some of the toughest physicals to pass, I can count 2 or 3 times where we had to pick up players that we needed, but weren't able to finalize a deal because they didn't pass their physicals. Fonoti and Lenny Walls are 2 names that come to mind right now, they both had deals in place but failed physicals..

That could be true. I dunno. Not all team's physicals are the same, and some guys who failed one team's could pass anothers. He has happened many many times before. Lenny Walls and Fonoti eventually passed someone's physical to get on the playing field.

keylime_5
08-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Injuries ruined his career. Hindsight is 20/20.

Actually Warren was one of the few players on the Browns who never really got hurt. Warren was just lazy with terrible work ethic and no motor. He was a huge bust b/c of this.

Shiver
08-20-2007, 01:12 PM
Actually Warren was one of the few players on the Browns who never really got hurt. Warren was just lazy with terrible work ethic and no motor. He was a huge bust b/c of this.

He's been solid in Denver. Not worthy of his pick, mind you, but still starter caliber. He just no longer fits in with what they want to do, schematically.

D-Unit
08-20-2007, 01:17 PM
I wanted Warren on the Cowboys to back up Ferguson.

doingthisinsteadofwork
08-20-2007, 01:18 PM
There not competiting against eachother for the division crown or even a playoff birth. It doesn't give the Raiders a decent chancec of avoiding the sweep. Whenever one team is rebuilding its irrelvant if the other team is in the division or not.yah I know we werent even close to beating them last year with a much worse team. :rollseyes:

TimD
08-20-2007, 01:51 PM
what bad end, if Warren makes the squad by Sept. 9th it's worth a 5th rounder, if he doesn't make the team which he wouldn't if horribly injured, the Broncos get nothing, it was a great move by the Raiders front office and one that covers their ass if he doesn't pan out by months' end.

good trade for the raiders...

keylime_5
08-20-2007, 03:03 PM
I wanted Warren on the Cowboys to back up Ferguson.

He's a horrible fit at NT. He was traded away from the Browns when they switched to a 3-4 for this reason. He is a strict 4-3 player really. He's supposed to be a penetrating DT, but he only gets like 2 or 3 sacks a year.

keylime_5
08-20-2007, 03:05 PM
He's been solid in Denver. Not worthy of his pick, mind you, but still starter caliber. He just no longer fits in with what they want to do, schematically.

Yeah, he was solid in Cleveland too, not a bad player, definitely starter worthy, but not a good pass rushing DT and only average against the run. About the same as in Denver, but he was a bust because he was only solid and not good-great.

Sad thing is, Butch Davis' advisers suggested Richard Seymour at #3 overall, but Butch being a Florida pundit who only drafts guys he recruits or plays against from his time at Miami-FL, he picked Warren. We needed a RB that year too, all the fans wanted LT, but apparently Warren looked better to Davis.

kmartin575
08-20-2007, 03:15 PM

Warren is 325 pounds. He is a big man. That is nothing more than an excuse from the coaching staff.

SubNoize
08-20-2007, 03:35 PM
Warren is 325 pounds. He is a big man. That is nothing more than an excuse from the coaching staff.

your weight has nothing to do with how capable you are at holding the LOS and being a dominate enough to plug the middle up. Warren is strictly a guy who can get into the backfield, he does an adequate job of this and that's why the Raiders traded for him. Warren fits Ryan's scheme as a UT and will do what Ryan needs him to do and that's disrupt the backfield and either sack the QB or tip the ball down. Warren does a great job of batting balls down at the line and has quite a few sacks for an interior lineman. For a guy that's going to be coming off the bench, I think Warren is going to do an awesome job.

Nitschke-Hawk
08-20-2007, 03:38 PM

Odd because Marcus Thomas is a good athlete that gets upfield and they just drafted him, and so does Jarvis Moss...

SubNoize
08-20-2007, 03:45 PM
Odd because Marcus Thomas is a good athlete that gets upfield and they just drafted him, and so does Jarvis Moss...

moss is a DE and doesn't really make sense when talking about how denver's going to be using their DTs. Also thomas has good timed speed but is far from explosive and is not a very good sack artist. thomas needs to add some weight as well because he doesn't really overpower anybody, he's def. a project and that's why denver signed Adams, McKinley and Kennedy.

kmartin575
08-20-2007, 04:36 PM
no, his style of play doesn't fit our defense. it's a scheme problem.

Then how does Marcus Thomas fit in? He was a pass rusher in college, not a run stuffer. He is a guy that shoots the gaps and gets up field.

doingthisinsteadofwork
08-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Warren is 325 pounds. He is a big man. That is nothing more than an excuse from the coaching staff.Warren Sapp was over 330 last year and still lead the league in sacks for DTs.
If Warren can do well against the run then thats fine with me since we arent that great against the run.

draftguru151
08-20-2007, 06:57 PM
You can still try though. They tried it with Al Wilson. Never let on how seriously hurt he was. Said he passed Denver's physical and then tried to trade him.

Was there a time this happened other than the Al Wilson deal?

Jughead10
08-21-2007, 07:26 AM
Was there a time this happened other than the Al Wilson deal?

I'll look it up. Not as publically in the news with as big of a name, but I do know the Denver front office has a sneaky reputation among all the other teams around the league.

OzTitan
08-21-2007, 08:48 AM
I'm very happy he isn't going to the Colts to try and help their DT situation out now ;) Although by the sounds of it, he wasn't really what they were after anyway.

Regardless, his style or not, he's still a big body and that's something they could have really used. Thanks Raiders!

SubNoize
08-21-2007, 12:23 PM
LOOPHOLE COULD LET RAIDERS SCREW BRONCOS

A thought occurred to yours truly during a Tuesday morning visit with Marc Vandermeer and Andre Ware on SportsRadio 610 in Houston. While discussing the trade that sent Gerard Warren from Denver to Oakland, and addressing the conditional draft pick premised on Warren being on the opening day roster, the proverbial light bulb flickered.

If the Raiders cut Warren before the first game and re-sign him after it, they owe the Broncos nothing. So the Raiders can cut him before the first game, and re-sign him after it, and keep their fifth-round pick in the 2008 draft.

Every year, several veterans are released before Week One, in order to avoid the provision that allows their salaries to become fully guaranteed if they are on the opening day roster.

As to Warren, the only risk that the Raiders would be taking is that someone else could swoop in and sign him. But if the Raiders and Warren work out a wink-nod thing, they can pull off the maneuver and stick it to the Broncos.

Maybe dogs and cats aren't living together, after all.

from PFT.com...Sounds good to me, cut and sign next day and he's free.

Moses
08-21-2007, 01:02 PM
LOOPHOLE COULD LET RAIDERS SCREW BRONCOS

A thought occurred to yours truly during a Tuesday morning visit with Marc Vandermeer and Andre Ware on SportsRadio 610 in Houston. While discussing the trade that sent Gerard Warren from Denver to Oakland, and addressing the conditional draft pick premised on Warren being on the opening day roster, the proverbial light bulb flickered.

If the Raiders cut Warren before the first game and re-sign him after it, they owe the Broncos nothing. So the Raiders can cut him before the first game, and re-sign him after it, and keep their fifth-round pick in the 2008 draft.

Every year, several veterans are released before Week One, in order to avoid the provision that allows their salaries to become fully guaranteed if they are on the opening day roster.

As to Warren, the only risk that the Raiders would be taking is that someone else could swoop in and sign him. But if the Raiders and Warren work out a wink-nod thing, they can pull off the maneuver and stick it to the Broncos.

Maybe dogs and cats aren't living together, after all.

from PFT.com...Sounds good to me, cut and sign next day and he's free.

I hope they try it and the Broncos resign him.

Komp
08-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Pssht...it's a 5th rd pick...if they like what they see, we should just keep him and give up the 5th rd pick.