PDA

View Full Version : Retired NFLers

TimD
08-20-2007, 07:00 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2983557

Daryl Johnston is one of the lucky ones. Despite breaking his neck opening holes for Emmitt Smith, he walks without a cane or a limp and is able to hold down a lucrative second career in broadcasting.......

......So the former Dallas Cowboys star and current Fox NFL analyst jumped into the ongoing battle over disability payments on Monday, albeit with a twist. Rather than continuing the name-calling that has overshadowed many of the issues, Johnston went with a new tactic by making a plea to commissioner Roger Goodell.

Brian DeMarco's back is held together by a titanium rod screwed into his hips. He has rebuilt knees and a painful shoulder. He's been homeless several times and spent several months living in a storage facility.He's also only 35 and was in the league as recently as 1999. He's thought about killing himself just so his wife and kids could have his death benefit.

Then there's Dave Pear, a nose tackle who was the first Pro Bowler for Tampa Bay and who played for Oakland in the 1981 Super Bowl. He's had four disks fused, has four screws in his back that need to be replaced and needs both hips replaced. He takes about 25 pills a day and draws disability through Social Security.

Its really ridiculous that the NFL won't give the guys "that helped [build] the game," as Roger Goodell says, money to help them live healthy lives after their careers end.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-20-2007, 07:23 PM
I agree. People really don't realise how much these guys sacrifice themselves. By the end of their career, they can barely walk. Look at Bettis, did you ever see the thing where they filmed his Monday? It was ridiculous. That's a reason I didn't like people ragging on Tiki for walking away. He wanted to walk from the game, not crawl from it. And it also really shows they aren't so overpaid, since they need their money to live after their careers. I don't see middle manager types losing their job in their mid-30s and barely being able to walk afterwards.

TimD
08-20-2007, 07:32 PM
That's a reason I didn't like people ragging on Tiki for walking away. He wanted to walk from the game, not crawl from it.

good point... i'm interested to see what happens with Curtis Martin. After all the knee problems he had, i hope he can walk when he gets older...

Moses
08-20-2007, 08:01 PM
I agree. People really don't realise how much these guys sacrifice themselves. By the end of their career, they can barely walk. Look at Bettis, did you ever see the thing where they filmed his Monday? It was ridiculous. That's a reason I didn't like people ragging on Tiki for walking away. He wanted to walk from the game, not crawl from it. And it also really shows they aren't so overpaid, since they need their money to live after their careers. I don't see middle manager types losing their job in their mid-30s and barely being able to walk afterwards.

No, they tend to have their mid-life crises' a bit later in life. Every career has risks associated with it. It is sad that the NFL doesn't seem to have an effective retirement program for their players.