PDA

View Full Version : Potential trade with the Cardinals?

dcarey20
08-20-2007, 11:51 PM
http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/2007/08/blockbuster-trade-proposal/#more-93

Please note that before reading the article, this looks to be just an idea by a writer. It is not an offer that is on the table right now. Just an idea. With that said, it's an interesting proposal for sure. Obviously it probably won't happen, because trades like that are just a rarity in today's NFL.

The trade: The Baltimore Ravens send TE Quinn Sypniewski, DB Ronnie Prude, and DE/OLB Jarret Johnson to the Arizona Cardinals for WR Bryant Johnson, CB Antrel Rolle, and DE/OLB Darryl Blackstock.

What we would be losing:

Quinn Sypniewski is one of my favorite backups on the team, I like him alot and he's a really solid player for us. I also really like Ronnie Prude. I would hate to see them go, but they're still backups, and both are expendable.

Jarret Johnson is another guy that I like, but Antwan Barnes looks like he's a future stud for us and I think he could start right away if needed.

Now we go to what we would be getting.

Antrel Rolle is a guy who many felt was the top corner in the 2005 draft. He's dissapointed a bit but the talent is obviously there, and playing in a great defense like ours may be just what he needs.

Bryant Johnson is a player who I really like. The Cards drafted him 17th overall to potentially be their future #1. He's played really well for them, unfortunately he's stuck behind two studs in Fitzgerald and Boldin. He's one of the better slot receivers in the game, and having him around would certainly make for, theoretically, a more explosive passing game. Plus a trio of Clayton, Williams, and Johnson could have us set for a number of years.

Darryl Blackstock is one of those guys who, on paper, looks like a perfect for for Rex's scheme. He's got that DE/OLB versatility that fits well, and the athleticism is there.

So the bottom line in this is that it's tough to part with guys like Syp, Prude, and JJ, but anytime you make a deal you are going to have to part with some guys you don't want to have to part with. What makes this trade so intriguing is the amount of talent we get in return. We'd be getting 3 guys that were drafted 8th, 17th, and 95th respectively. If they all come to Bmore and live up to their potential, which is certainly possible, then this could be great for us.

It's an interesting thought for sure. I really like the amount of talent we'd be getting and I'd be pretty happy with it.

TimD
08-20-2007, 11:59 PM
i think its a good trade for both teams... the cards players who would got to baltimore all have potential they are just stuck in a bad situation (be it depth chart or losing team)... and zona could really use barnes and clayton...

EdReedUnstoppable
08-21-2007, 12:14 AM
I don't care about losing Ronnie Prude or Jarrett Johnson, but Ive gone on record saying I think Quinn Sypniewski is a starting calibur TE and if Heap goes down and Syp stepped in he would steal Heaps job! <--you want bold predictions, it don't get no bolder!!!

dcarey20
08-21-2007, 12:18 AM
i think its a good trade for both teams... the cards players who would got to baltimore all have potential they are just stuck in a bad situation (be it depth chart or losing team)... and zona could really use barnes and clayton...

Barnes or Clayton? Neither are in the proposed deal and neither are going anywhere.

Troj2man
08-21-2007, 01:10 AM
Rumor has it that Bryant Johnson wants to sign with the Ravens next year anyway because he is good friends with several of the Ravensí players. While the Cardinals hate to part with Johnson, he is a luxury as a #3 WR, and if he bolts as a UFA next year, the Cardinals would get nothing in return for him.

This was in the article and really caught my eye. Johnson is from Baltimore, so this could be the perfect situation for him. Derrick Mason will probably not be here for much longer. A WR trio of Clayton, Williams and Johnson would be pretty decent. The question is though, would he be content with being the 3rd WR just like he is in Arizona? Also would he be happy in this offense. He probably wouldn't get as many balls as he would want. It's something to look into after the season though.

BigDawg819
08-21-2007, 01:57 AM
So far from my limited research this potential trade wouldn't work for the Ravens' because of cap concerns. I would assume that 2 former 1st round picks would be greater then the roughly 3 million or so we'd be shipping out plus with only around 4 or 5 million in room the 3 incoming players would have to fit in that. But I guess Ozzie would rework BJ's contract but still why would we bring in these guys midway through preseason and still expect them to be ready by Week 1?

08-21-2007, 02:05 AM
the trade looks too one-sided to me in favour of baltimore

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g203/keepnitgangsta1/Sigs%202/Reggie-Bush.gif

BigDawg819
08-21-2007, 02:12 AM
the trade looks too one-sided to me in favour of baltimore

Well its not really because Sypniewski and Prude are young up and comers and Rolle and Johnson are former 1st rounders that haven't really lived up to expectations. While I am slightly in favor of it if all my concerns could be addressed, I still think we'd be giving up to much talent to the Cards.

ccB
08-21-2007, 02:17 AM
I would be in favor of it although I highly doubt its possible. I think Rolle could really blossom here in Baltimore.

bearfan
08-21-2007, 07:27 AM
Well its not really because Sypniewski and Prude are young up and comers and Rolle and Johnson are former 1st rounders that haven't really lived up to expectations. While I am slightly in favor of it if all my concerns could be addressed, I still think we'd be giving up to much talent to the Cards.

Yeah but Rolle was drafted in 2005. Its 2007. Plus I believe he was injured his first year. You really as a team cant give up on a top 10 pick after 1 season of play. So because you guys have Rolle in this trade, I agree w/ the poster above that this is one-sided favoring the Ravens. Its like "Here, let me trade you some young guys for your top 10 pick at CB, who hasnt had a chance to prove himself, a good reciever (but i think that he is very tradeable), and Blackenstock." Its more Rolle in my eyes that throws off the trade because IMO he is still an unknown. He could bust, but I think its a bit to early in his career to say that.

BigDawg819
08-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Yeah but Rolle was drafted in 2005. Its 2007. Plus I believe he was injured his first year. You really as a team cant give up on a top 10 pick after 1 season of play. So because you guys have Rolle in this trade, I agree w/ the poster above that this is one-sided favoring the Ravens. Its like "Here, let me trade you some young guys for your top 10 pick at CB, who hasnt had a chance to prove himself, a good reciever (but i think that he is very tradeable), and Blackenstock." Its more Rolle in my eyes that throws off the trade because IMO he is still an unknown. He could bust, but I think its a bit to early in his career to say that.

He's well on his way to losing his starting job so it may be safe to say that the Cards are inclined to move on without him.

robert_in_bigd
08-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Always thought Rolle was a FS type personally.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-21-2007, 10:49 AM
Great for the Ravens if it ever was true, Quinn is great but I am not on his jock like others, I thought Trent Edwards looked just as good as Quinn at times, not at blocking though. I love Dan Wilcox, and we should get back Darnell "DD" Denkins. I have always said Jarrett Johnson is trash, and Prude is decent but I like Martin more. Blackstock is an absolute gamer, not great speed but tackles great, Antrel would be the replacement for Samari and we need to even think about life without C-mac soon. Johnson has speed and produced similarly to Mark Clayton despite being behind Anquan and Fitz. For the Cardinals don't know why they would do this, Quinn gives them depth and a possible starter, but Ben Patrick has looked nice, JJ is trash, and Prude is no more than depth.

Ravens1991
08-21-2007, 11:01 AM
I would like this to happen, send 2 back ups and a starter who will probably get benched by next season for Barnes or someone else. Here is a age breakdown...

Blackstock-24
Johnson-26
Rolle-24

Rolle could do well playing with our U connection so that will help.

Johnson can give us a nice young beastly WR trio.

Blackstone provides us depth.

The main question for me is how is Mason going to act. This means Mason could slide all the way down to #4. Could we possibly send him to Arizona but he would complain about being #3 there.

keylime_5
08-21-2007, 11:27 AM
Rolle needs to move to free safety soon if he doesn't want to be called a bust. I think Arizona will add another cornerback next spring and move Antrel.

Man_Of_Steel
08-21-2007, 11:30 AM
The Cardinals would really be getting a raw deal there. Also I dont know how much cap room the Ravens have but trading for two former 1st rounders has to be costly.

BrownsTown
08-21-2007, 11:32 AM
The worst player the Cardinals would be giving away is still better than the best player the Ravens would be giving away.

ccB
08-21-2007, 11:39 AM
The worst player the Cardinals would be giving away is still better than the best player the Ravens would be giving away.

I disagree, Jarrett Johnson is a starter on our defense and correct me if I am wrong but hes the only starter in the deal. Hes got decent versatility, hes a solid defensive end and hes picking up on the LB position. I think he will put up decent numbers this year and unlike the rest of the Ravens fans I do not think he is a bad player in the least bit. I think he would be the best player in the trade right now on both sides, Rolle may have better potential but he hasnt done anything to show hes better than Ronnie Prude IMO. In the end I think the Ravens would get the better side of the deal but people hate on JJ far too much. But again this trade is not going to happen, its more in theory than anything.

LonghornsLegend
08-21-2007, 02:08 PM
i dont know, seems like ravens are getting a hell of a deal, 2 first rd draft picks...whether rolle is/will bust or not, im pretty sure with his talent level he will excell in baltimore, and bryant johnson is a huge commodity that alot of teams would love to have, those 2 themselves seem to outweigh what arizona would get in return...average backups, and so what they receive a TE, arizona has leonord pope and the TE from deleware whose name i cant recall right now...

so the best player that the cards would get, they already have 2 young talented players at that position...

it makes alot of sense for the ravens, none for the cards...they could trade rolle and johnson and come away with alot more talented players

CARDIAC CAT 7
08-21-2007, 03:46 PM
This trade wont go down. Rolle is still AZ's number 1 corner even though Hood has shown that he could handle the job, so Rolle must be doing something right. Blackstock rarely plays and I wouldn't be suprised if they cut him to make a roster spot for Pago Togafau who has shown he can become a solid backup and good special teams player. Bryant Johnson is happy in AZ he still gets a good amount of touches, they only reason they would dump him is if they needed to clear cap space, maybe if BAL threw in a First Day Pick of some kind for this draft it would become a possible trade.

BigDawg819
08-21-2007, 03:49 PM
This trade wont go down. Rolle is still AZ's number 1 corner even though Hood has shown that he could handle the job, so Rolle must be doing something right. Blackstock rarely plays and I wouldn't be suprised if they cut him to make a roster spot for Pago Togafau who has shown he can become a solid backup and good special teams player. Bryant Johnson is happy in AZ he still gets a good amount of touches, they only reason they would dump him is if they needed to clear cap space, maybe if BAL threw in a First Day Pick of some kind for this draft it would become a possible trade.

Rolle isn't even working with the first team defense anymore yet you proclaim him the #1 corner?

ccB
08-21-2007, 06:06 PM

If we are including picks I do not want any part of this trade, we are already missing a 3 and I have faith that Ozzie could draft a player in the 2nd thats a hell of a lot better than Rolle, Johnson, or Blackstock.

CARDIAC CAT 7
08-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Rolle isn't even working with the first team defense anymore yet you proclaim him the #1 corner?

He does work with the first team, maybe not all the time because they want to see how Eric Green has progressed. He has started and matched up against every team's #1 so far. Its his job to lose, and he hasnt lost it yet.

EdReedUnstoppable
08-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Johnson is prolly gonna come here after the season, he is a born and raised Baltimore athlete and a UFA at the end of the year so I dont take the deal, because Quinn is silly! I dont care if we trade JJ or Prude, and btw ghetto when did we have Trent Edwards and when was he a TE?

SubNoize
08-21-2007, 07:33 PM
He does work with the first team, maybe not all the time because they want to see how Eric Green has progressed. He has started and matched up against every team's #1 so far. Its his job to lose, and he hasnt lost it yet.

Rolle is not AZ's #1 anymore, the starting corners are Green and Hood, it was a big announcment here on sports radio yesterday. Rolle got the demotion because he just can't cover in the bigs. Everyone in AZ has been suggesting he be moved to S for some time now because the guy can hit no doubt, but it would give him less obligation in coverage. So yes he has lost it. trades like this don't happen in the NFL anymore and really from a potential perspective the Ravens win, but Blackstock and Rolle have proved nothing and BJ will never be able to crack the starting lineup anywhere.

Yung Flippa
08-21-2007, 07:40 PM
WOW!
I would really love this trade to happen.

Antrel Rolle & Bryant Johnson still have upside, Ronnie Prude & Quinn Sypniewski have upside as well.
But maybe we should send Derrick Mason as well, not sure if he wants to become the 4th wideout on our depth chart.

ccB
08-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Johnson is prolly gonna come here after the season, he is a born and raised Baltimore athlete and a UFA at the end of the year so I dont take the deal, because Quinn is silly! I dont care if we trade JJ or Prude, and btw ghetto when did we have Trent Edwards and when was he a TE?

He ment Trent Smith.

America
08-21-2007, 09:02 PM
I doubt this trade would happen. What if we traded Derrick Mason and Jarret Johnson for Bryant Johnson, Antrell Rolle and Darryl Blackstock?

ccB
08-21-2007, 09:10 PM
To be honest I dont like the idea of trading Jarrett Johnson this year. I think Burgess and Barnes are both too raw to be starting full time. I think it will be better to ease Barnes in on pass rushing situations and Burgess in on special teams. The way we did with Bart, Adalius etc.

America
08-21-2007, 09:36 PM
Yeah that's true. I like the idea of adding Johnson next offseason though. And I loved Rolle out of the U. I would be stoked if we got him.

BigDawg819
08-21-2007, 11:25 PM
He ment Trent Smith.

I was a huge Trent Smith fan but injuries killed his career here in Baltimore. Its the Dan Cody phenomena only Trent was here first.

EdReedUnstoppable
08-22-2007, 01:17 AM
Trent Smith is no Quinn Sypniewski and its actually an insult to Quinn to compare them.

BigDawg819
08-22-2007, 01:32 AM
Trent Smith is no Quinn Sypniewski and its actually an insult to Quinn to compare them.

That is true, but comparing Trent Smith and Dan Cody is sad but true!