PDA

View Full Version : Eagles release Trotter --LINK--

Bills2083
08-21-2007, 10:16 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d801a1d35&template=with-video&confirm=true

Eagles release veteran Trotter

Philadelphia Eagles (http://www.nfl.com/teams/philadelphiaeagles/profile?team=PHI)

The Philadelphia Eagles today announced they have released LB Jeremiah Trotter (http://www.nfl.com/players/jeremiahtrotter/profile?id=TRO467199).
"Jeremiah is one of my favorite guys," said head coach Andy Reid. "There's no question that this is the toughest part of this job. He and I met about this last night and it was very emotional for the both of us. Jeremiah and I have been together for many years and he's played a vital role in helping this team win a lot of football games. He developed himself into a Pro Bowl middle linebacker through a lot of hard work and desire. In my mind, he will always be a Philadelphia Eagle and I'm sure he feels the same way. I wish he and his family nothing but the best in the future."
http://www.nfl.com/static/site/img/teams/PHI/PHI_logo-50x50.gif (http://www.nfl.com/teams/philadelphiaeagles/profile?team=PHI) Philadelphia Eagles (http://www.nfl.com/teams/philadelphiaeagles/profile?team=PHI) Complete coverage: (http://www.nfl.com/teams/philadelphiaeagles/profile?team=PHI)
Video (http://www.nfl.com/videos?categoryId=teams&teamId=3700) | Schedule (http://www.nfl.com/teams/philadelphiaeagles/schedule?team=PHI) | Stats (http://www.nfl.com/teams/philadelphiaeagles/statistics?team=PHI)
Roster (http://www.nfl.com/teams/philadelphiaeagles/roster?team=PHI) | Depth chart (http://www.nfl.com/teams/philadelphiaeagles/depthchart?team=PHI) | Transactions (http://www.nfl.com/teams/philadelphiaeagles/transactions?team=PHI)
Official team site: philadelphiaeagles.com (http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/)

The 30-year-old Trotter was in his second stint in Philadelphia since being a third-round draft choice of the Eagles in 1998. With four Pro Bowl selections on his resume, Trotter became just the fourth linebacker in team history to earn that distinction, joining Chuck Bednarik (8), Maxie Baughan (5), and Bill Bergey (4). He averaged over 147 tackles per year since becoming a full-time starter in 1999, including a career-high 202 in 1999. In 88 regular season starts as an Eagle, Trotter totaled 940 tackles (10.7 per game).
Trotter spent his first four seasons in Philadelphia and two in Washington before being released by the Redskins following the 2003 campaign. Without a contract offer, he somehow contacted Reid, who was on a fishing trip in a remote part of Utah where cell phone use was extremely limited. Trotter eventually signed a one-year contract at that time and parlayed it into a Pro Bowl season in 2004.
Trotter has been very successful off the field as well, as he owns a real estate company, Jeremiah Trotter Inc., and The Wash Sense Group, car wash facilities in the Philadelphia area. In addition, he established his own personal foundation, the Jeremiah Trotter Foundation, which is committed to the awareness and elimination of diabetes through research and education.

Go_Eagles77
08-21-2007, 10:28 AM
Definitely a shocker, I wish him all the best in the future. Shouldn't be long until another team gives him a chance.

princefielder28
08-21-2007, 10:29 AM
Shocked but not like he'll be out there long

Jughead10
08-21-2007, 10:36 AM
He might retire I heard. His knees are shot. Why else would the Eagles cut their star LBer when the team is well under the salary cap? Either way this good news for any fan of the Giants, Skins, or Cowboys. Trotter was a great player.

08-21-2007, 10:41 AM
He was an integral part in the Eagles road to Super Bowl 39. But, sadly, he fell off the map following that season.

#1chiefs_fan
08-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Maybe the bills take a chance on him

RyanLeaf#1
08-21-2007, 10:44 AM
The axe man just got axed

08-21-2007, 10:45 AM
is he a solid leader on the field, or just a good player?

More so an emotional leader from what I have seen. Plays his heart out and pumps up his team mates that play around him.

Go_Eagles77
08-21-2007, 10:47 AM
More so an emotional leader from what I have seen. Plays his heart out and pumps up his team mates that play around him.

Yeah we're really gonna miss his energy and passion on the field and in the locker room.

08-21-2007, 10:48 AM
Yeah we're really gonna miss his energy and passion on the field and in the locker room.

So, who is starting inside now? Gaither?

Jughead10
08-21-2007, 10:49 AM
So, who is starting inside now? Gaither?

Oh jeez I hope so.

#1chiefs_fan
08-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Oh jeez I hope so.

the article on espn said they will move spikes to the middle

Go_Eagles77
08-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Oh jeez I hope so.

Why? There is a reason Trotter was cut, Gaither has out-performed him. I thought Gaither was better since last year and that he should start but I didn't think they'd bench Trotter. At this point in their careers Gaither is the better player and he's only getting better where as Trotter is very rapidly getting worse.

Go_Eagles77
08-21-2007, 10:58 AM
the article on espn said they will move spikes to the middle

I don't know why'd they do that. Matt McCoy, the backup WLB is not near as good as Gaither, the backup MLB. Plus WLB is Spikes' best position, you want the 3 best players starting and I don't think that would be the case if Spikes gets moved inside.

D-Unit
08-21-2007, 11:05 AM
YAY!

There might be someone faster, someone younger, someone stronger (hard to believe this one)... but Trotter has been a beast on the field and his ability to always be in the action, his emotional leadership, and his passion for the game is something I have always respected as a Cowboys fan.

Man_Of_Steel
08-21-2007, 11:06 AM
Bills a possibility one would think.

bsaza2358
08-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Due to his size and serious knee injuries in 2002 and 2003 and resulting surgeries, Trotter's career was not likely to last past age 30. He is 30 now, and he was already slowing down last season. In 2006, Trott was no longer able to patrol sideline-to-sideline, and he became a clear liability in coverage. I thought he would play out this season in a limited role, with Gaither starting at MLB, but it appears that the Eagles (or Trotter) wanted a fresh start or a chance to move on. I wish Trott the best.

Jughead10
08-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Why? There is a reason Trotter was cut, Gaither has out-performed him. I thought Gaither was better since last year and that he should start but I didn't think they'd bench Trotter. At this point in their careers Gaither is the better player and he's only getting better where as Trotter is very rapidly getting worse.

I guess. Either way he won't be better than Trotter was the two previous seasons. Not to mention all the emotion he brought to the field. He was the leader of that defense.

Go_Eagles77
08-21-2007, 11:17 AM
I guess. Either way he won't be better than Trotter was the two previous seasons. Not to mention all the emotion he brought to the field. He was the leader of that defense.

Can't argue with that

keylime_5
08-21-2007, 11:25 AM
I don't know why'd they do that. Matt McCoy, the backup WLB is not near as good as Gaither, the backup MLB. Plus WLB is Spikes' best position, you want the 3 best players starting and I don't think that would be the case if Spikes gets moved inside.

SLB-Bradley
MLB-Spikes
WLB-Gaither

Spikes is good if healthy, Bradley is gonna be a very solid SLB his whole career, and Gaither is an up and coming good player. I think Gaither is a good fit at WLB.

CC.SD
08-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Lions should get on it; I know it's a cover 2, and the MLB should be athletic, but they have no one.

Go_Eagles77
08-21-2007, 11:33 AM
SLB-Bradley
MLB-Spikes
WLB-Gaither

Spikes is good if healthy, Bradley is gonna be a very solid SLB his whole career, and Gaither is an up and coming good player. I think Gaither is a good fit at WLB.

Gaither played well at WLB last year but he was much better at MLB, that's also where the coaches have been planning on having him play since they drafted him. Also Chris Gocong is the starter at SLB right now.

Smooth Criminal
08-21-2007, 12:06 PM
It'll be interesting to see where he goes. If he can still go he could be a major upgrade for alot of teams.

bsaza2358
08-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Obviously, Trotter was displeased with his role and asked to move on. The Eagles gave him that chance. They are going to go with Gaither, who they are very high on. While he doesn't have the bulk that Trotter does, he has more speed and is younger and cheaper. Typical Eagles move, but the timing was very strange.

bsaza2358
08-21-2007, 12:07 PM
In terms of emotional leadership, Trotter is a very key guy in the Eagles locker room, but Brian Dawkins is the heart and soul of that D. A lot of Trotter's intensity at the second level will be replaced by Takeo Spikes.

Addict
08-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Lions should get on it; I know it's a cover 2, and the MLB should be athletic, but they have no one.

Paris Lennon and Teddy Lehman is not no one!

oh wait... dammit!

bsaza2358
08-21-2007, 12:12 PM
I absolutely despise Trotter in a Cover-2 role. His main weakness is coverage, and he's not fast enough to drop back in that kind of defensive system.

bigbluedefense
08-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Trotter in Cover 2 is like putting Pennington in an Air Coryell...

This scheme needs a big sledgehammer MIKE to help stop the run. While Trott wasn't the same, Gaither isn't exactly that mold of MIKE either. He will be an improvement, but I think the run defense could possibilly be still a liability in Philly.

This was my main issue with Spags bringing the Philly system in New York. The system has never been dominant against the run. And at the end of the day, thats what its all about. They don't use a NT, something I strongly disagree with, and its very hard for OLBs to keep their gap in this defense, putting a heavy burden on the MIKE to stop the run single handidly almost. And without an NT in front of him, it makes it even harder.

Thats why when Trotter was healthy he improved their run D so much. This sytem requires a sledgehammer MIKE who can just swallow the run Butkus style. Theyre not easy to find though.

bsaza2358
08-21-2007, 12:29 PM
BBD, kind of off-topic, but I guess you are not high on Antonio Pierce to play the Trotter role in the Giants D? Just asking because you know the team better.

bsaza2358
08-21-2007, 12:31 PM
In response to BBD's post, I believe that he is absolutely correct about the Eagles in 2005 and 2006. They didn't have the beef in the front 7 to really consistently stop the run. With the drafting of Patterson, Bunkley, plus additional signings on the DLine, plus the additions of Gocong, Bradley, and Spikes, the Eagles have put together a personnel group in their front 7 that is bigger and more able to control gaps and stop the run. If Bunkley especially keeps up what he has shown in the first 2 preseason games, I think the Eagles will be much better with their run D. The pass defense should remain well above average.

Philliez01
08-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Well Trotter's press conference is to begin on CSN so I wonder if he is going to retire?

Nah, I don't think so now. He's saying it's "a tough pill to swallow", "if you cut me, I'll bleed Green" and "I know he [Reid] didn't want to do this...but it's now my time".

bigbluedefense
08-21-2007, 12:35 PM
BBD, kind of off-topic, but I guess you are not high on Antonio Pierce to play the Trotter role in the Giants D? Just asking because you know the team better.

no, im not. so far he hasn't done a good job of it either.

I think our poor DT play has alot to do with it though. We don't have DTs that really fit this system, so linemen are running free at Pierce, and he doesn't have the strength (or maybe he's just going easy in PS?) to shed.

I think Spags needs to reintroduce the NT to our defense. Because if he doesn't, i can see this becoming a season long issue. Our perimeter defense is excellent, our DEs (Osi and Tuck or Strahan if he comes back) does a great job stopping the offtackle runs and sweeps. Our OLBs are doing a good job picking up the scheme too and stopping the outside runs.

But our interior run defense has been pretty bad so far. Our DTs get pushed back often and Pierce isn't shedding blockers. He even missed his gap once.

From an outsiders perspective, ppl will say our season rests with Eli Manning. But that is not true. The truth is, our season is dependent on 2 factors this season.

1. The leftside of the oline (Diehl and Seaburt)
2. The interior run defense

That will determine whether we're a good team, or a bad one.

RyanLeaf#1
08-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Well Trotter's press conference is to begin on CSN so I wonder if he is going to retire?

Nah, I don't think so now. He's saying it's "a tough pill to swallow", "if you cut me, I'll bleed Green" and "I know he [Reid] didn't want to do this...but it's now my time".

He can definitely get someone to pay him this year. He should go to another team if he can.

Addict
08-21-2007, 12:36 PM

he's 30 years old, why would he?

RyanLeaf#1
08-21-2007, 12:37 PM

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

bigbluedefense
08-21-2007, 12:38 PM
In response to BBD's post, I believe that he is absolutely correct about the Eagles in 2005 and 2006. They didn't have the beef in the front 7 to really consistently stop the run. With the drafting of Patterson, Bunkley, plus additional signings on the DLine, plus the additions of Gocong, Bradley, and Spikes, the Eagles have put together a personnel group in their front 7 that is bigger and more able to control gaps and stop the run. If Bunkley especially keeps up what he has shown in the first 2 preseason games, I think the Eagles will be much better with their run D. The pass defense should remain well above average.

Thats true, I forgot about your new DT duo, as well as the depth established at DE after drafting Abriamiri.

Spikes health will also be key.

Jughead10

His knees are shot.

Philliez01

I was just basing off the press conference and what Derrick Gunn was sort-of elluding to in a way. He does have some shaky knees, though but he just seems emotional right now. For the NHL fans, it's like Smyth leaving Canada.

bsaza2358
08-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Trotter has significant troubles with his knees. When he was a draft prospect, it was a significant knock on him and it's part of the reason why he dropped to round 3. The guy had a genetic degenerative condition in both knees. Between the way he played the game, his size, and his ACL tears, the condition was worsened. He needed arthroscopic surgery to clean up his knees after 2004 and 2006. The guy was running on fumes, and he probably wasn't going to make it to 32 as an NFL player.

Addict
08-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Trotter has significant troubles with his knees. When he was a draft prospect, it was a significant knock on him and it's part of the reason why he dropped to round 3. The guy had a genetic degenerative condition in both knees. Between the way he played the game, his size, and his ACL tears, the condition was worsened. He needed arthroscopic surgery to clean up his knees after 2004 and 2006. The guy was running on fumes, and he probably wasn't going to make it to 32 as an NFL player.

that bites

bsaza2358
08-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Thats true, I forgot about your new DT duo, as well as the depth established at DE after drafting Abriamiri.

Spikes health will also be key.

Patterson, Bunkley, Reagor, Ian Scott, and LaJuan Ramsey at the DT rotation.

DE's: Kearse, Howard, Cole, Juqua Thomas, and Abriamiri.

The size of the Eagles front 7 has been greatly rebuilt.

bsaza2358
08-21-2007, 12:44 PM
In the ESPN article, Trotter says he's going to try to play elsewhere. I'm sure he'll get a chance. Maybe the Giants will grab him as a thumper. He could also go to Arizona as a part time player. Those are the most likely destinations at first glance.

bigbluedefense
08-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Patterson, Bunkley, Reagor, Ian Scott, and LaJuan Ramsey at the DT rotation.

DE's: Kearse, Howard, Cole, Juqua Thomas, and Abriamiri.

The size of the Eagles front 7 has been greatly rebuilt.

Reid loves his horses up front. Smart man. Its no coincidence that Philly is a contender every year. You win in the trenches, not at the skill positions.

I love his drafting philosophy. He always drafts linemen one year in advance so his trenches never miss a beat.

Addict
08-21-2007, 12:46 PM
In the ESPN article, Trotter says he's going to try to play elsewhere. I'm sure he'll get a chance. Maybe the Giants will grab him as a thumper. He could also go to Arizona as a part time player. Those are the most likely destinations at first glance.

Lions could use a MLB as well. Don't know if Trotter is a good fit though.

bsaza2358
08-21-2007, 12:47 PM
This year, there were no OLinemen because he got his fill in 2005. I would assume that Runyan and maybe even Thomas will be gone at OT next season, with Justice and Andrews/Herremens sliding out. Looking ahead to the draft, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they went OT for a rookie starter at LT/RT...

bigbluedefense
08-21-2007, 12:47 PM

No, I doubt it. We have our own Trotter in Chase Blackburn on the bench. The team would never bench Pierce though. He's the leader of our defense (sans Strahan). We need a speedy WILL for the longterm future. Kawika Mitchell is more of a stop gap solution. Unless Wilkinson can prove to be the longterm future, something we won't know until halfway through the season.

Trotter might be approached by a 3-4 team in need of a run thumper. Perhaps the Niners? Their run d hasn't looked impressive so far.

bsaza2358
08-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Lions could use a MLB as well. Don't know if Trotter is a good fit though.

We have established that Trotter in a Cover 2 system would not be an appropriate deployment of his skills and limitations. He is huge target as a favorable matchup in coverage. This doesn't jive with a Cover 2 MLB.

bigbluedefense
08-21-2007, 12:49 PM
This year, there were no OLinemen because he got his fill in 2005. I would assume that Runyan and maybe even Thomas will be gone at OT next season, with Justice and Andrews/Herremens sliding out. Looking ahead to the draft, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they went OT for a rookie starter at LT/RT...

How's Justice looking? Damn I wanted him so bad...

Can't complain about Kiwi though. He's a stud too.

bsaza2358
08-21-2007, 12:49 PM
No, I doubt it. We have our own Trotter in Chase Blackburn on the bench. The team would never bench Pierce though. He's the leader of our defense (sans Strahan). We need a speedy WILL for the longterm future. Kawika Mitchell is more of a stop gap solution. Unless Wilkinson can prove to be the longterm future, something we won't know until halfway through the season.

Trotter might be approached by a 3-4 team in need of a run thumper. Perhaps the Niners? Their run d hasn't looked impressive so far.

Very fair. My assumption was that Trotter knew the system and therefore could step right in to help. I totally forgot about Blackburn, who I think will help some team someday.

Trotter in a 3-4 would be interesting for sure. It would help hide his coverage issues and also let him highlight his remaining thump as a run stuffer and tackler.

bigbluedefense
08-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Very fair. My assumption was that Trotter knew the system and therefore could step right in to help. I totally forgot about Blackburn, who I think will help some team someday.

Trotter in a 3-4 would be interesting for sure. It would help hide his coverage issues and also let him highlight his remaining thump as a run stuffer and tackler.

Its actually a shame that Chase isn't starting for someone yet. He's a stud. With our issues in the run D, I was thinking it might be a good idea to put Chase out there, even at WILL to help thump the run, but after seeing Kawika Mitchell out there, we need his speed so theres no room for Chase to start, unless we bench Kiwi, and I don't want that either because when Kiwi comes on the blitz, teams barely have any time to throw the ball. If he can continue his progression as a run stopper from the LB spot and if Spags limits his responsibilities in coverage, he's gonna be a force this year.

We don't have the secondary to run the scheme the exact way Spags wants to though, so you'll some variation in ours compared to yours. He doesn't trust our CBs in Cover 0. So TE coverage Im expecting will be a liability for us.

I think Trotter has a good chance in the 3-4 for the reasons you said. Heck, if Junior Seau got a job, I don't see why Trotter can't go somewhere. Maybe the Chargers offer him something. He can provide some leadership they lost with Edwards, and since theyre starting 2 new ILBs, maybe Trotter would be a nice insurance policy.

Eaglez.Fan
08-21-2007, 01:10 PM
It's official that Omar will play in the middle.

Eagles own the NFC East
08-23-2007, 07:11 PM
He was an integral part in the Eagles road to Super Bowl 39. But, sadly, he fell off the map following that season.

lol he made the pro bowl the year after we made it to the superbowl he didnt fall off the map he just didnt play that well last season and Jim Johnson wanted to start Gaither because hes better in coverage and faster.