PDA

View Full Version : Left Tackles

DraftMichaelHuff
08-21-2007, 05:47 PM
How does Michael Oher compare in terms of attributes that you look for in a franchise left tackle with Jake Long, Sam Barker, Barry Richardson and Gosder Cherious

P-L
08-21-2007, 06:23 PM
I actually think Oher projects better as a RT or OG.

Mr. Stiller
08-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Well..

First off I think Gosder Cherilous and Jake Long will be limited to RT in the pros. I'm unsure on Richardson.. He's a mauler, and got some quicks. He could be a solid LT in the mold of McNeil IMO.

Oher I think compares favorably to Sam Baker. Baker IMO is the more finesse of the two. Either could end up as very talented LG's in the pros. I think Oher would make the better player.

What you look for at LT is..

Consistancy first and foremost. Are they consistant enough to protect your QB's blindside?

Mirror ability. Can they mirror defensive ends and keep them away from your QB?

Strength. Are they going to get pushed? Or will they do the pushing?

Speed. Are they quick enough to keep up with the faster DE's and OLB's that will be rushing.

Intelligence. Can they diagnose a blitz, do they know the other players moves, do they know when to start blocking a different player?

I'd Say Long/Cherilous are the most elite. Though I think they'll make amazing RT's.

Baker is a good technique LT but doesn't generate much push in the run game.

I'd say Oher falls in with Clady more than any of these. Oher generates a great push in run games and has the agility and speed to mirror premier pass rushers of the SEC. Especially considering if he stays all 4 years he'll have 3 starting seasons at LT.

WarOnTheShore
08-21-2007, 06:30 PM
If Mississippi could leave Oher at one spot he could develop into a heck of a LT. His footwork is amazing.

Don Vito
08-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Oher is definitely suited to play LT in the NFL. The only thing he has going against him is height, and he isn't even that short at 6-4. He is a top athlete for a 320-330 pound OL and he is solid in both pass blocking and run blocking.

Gosder Cherilus has started at RT for the first 3 years of his career so we will have to wait until the season starts to see how he does at LT (he is starting LT this year with Marten gone). Gosder is another superb athlete (ex basketball player who could've wnt D1) who has great size for an LT at around 6-6 310. But so far we are hearing nothing but great things about Gosder at LT out of camp.

HoopsDemon12
08-22-2007, 01:13 PM
Oher is definitely suited to play LT in the NFL. The only thing he has going against him is height, and he isn't even that short at 6-4. He is a top athlete for a 320-330 pound OL and he is solid in both pass blocking and run blocking.

Gosder Cherilus has started at RT for the first 3 years of his career so we will have to wait until the season starts to see how he does at LT (he is starting LT this year with Marten gone). Gosder is another superb athlete (ex basketball player who could've wnt D1) who has great size for an LT at around 6-6 310. But so far we are hearing nothing but great things about Gosder at LT out of camp.

From what i have heard about Gosder Cherilus i was under the impression he was a fantastic mauler of a right tackle and also projected there in the pros? have i been mislead or are nfl teams actually thinking about looking at him there

Don Vito
08-22-2007, 01:21 PM
From what i have heard about Gosder Cherilus i was under the impression he was a fantastic mauler of a right tackle and also projected there in the pros? have i been mislead or are nfl teams actually thinking about looking at him there

Well we will have to wait and see because he has been an RT his whole career until his senior season. I wouldn't call him a mauler, he is a balanced lineman in my eyes with unlimited potential. He is very good against the run and the pass but he has the strength and athleticism to be dominant in both. Like I said he got offers to play big-time D1 basketball and almost pulled the trigger on bball, so that is the kind of athlete he is.

gator3guy
08-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Well we will have to wait and see because he has been an RT his whole career until his senior season. I wouldn't call him a mauler, he is a balanced lineman in my eyes with unlimited potential. He is very good against the run and the pass but he has the strength and athleticism to be dominant in both. Like I said he got offers to play big-time D1 basketball and almost pulled the trigger on bball, so that is the kind of athlete he is.

Jamaal Brown was a pro bowl LT this year after playing RT in college and his rookie season. So anything can happen. Definitely will have to let the season play out.

kmartin575
08-22-2007, 10:42 PM
What do you guys think about Barry Richardson? I would love my Chiefs to have a chance at him.

TimD
08-22-2007, 11:51 PM
The only thing he has going against him is height, and he isn't even that short at 6-4.

he's actually listed at 6-5 or 6-6 depends where you look...

Michigan
08-22-2007, 11:53 PM

what? where are you looking?

TimD
08-22-2007, 11:56 PM
what? where are you looking?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/roster?teamId=145 listed as 6-5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Oher listed as 6-5

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=1259020 listed as 6-5

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_draft/michael_oher.htm listed as 6-6

Vikes99ej
08-23-2007, 07:57 AM

Joe Thomas was listed at 6'8 last year, and we all know he measured in at 6'6 at the combine.

TACKLE
08-23-2007, 11:04 AM
Personally I think he is right behind Jake Long as the top 2 OT's. Baker and Cherilus might be a little better right now but Oher has a lot more upside. He's not built like a Marcus McNeil but he is very quick and very powerful. Definitely a rare combo of speed and strength. People view his ability to play inside a knock but I think it's a plus. I think he has the abilities to be an elite LT in the NFL one day.

Though I don't think he'll declare because OL usually don't and techinique wise, Oher is still raw. I think he will stay for his senior year and be a top 5 pick in '08

Big_Pete
08-24-2007, 05:36 PM
what about Tony Hills?

HoopsDemon12
08-24-2007, 05:47 PM
what about Tony Hills?

he is more of a right tackle IMO... but his stock will rise come combine time... ou just watch

Don Vito
08-24-2007, 06:16 PM
Nah I see Hills as a LT. He was an elite TE prospect and a great athlete, and even after he got moved to LT after his horrible injury and gained weight he still shows superior footwork for his position. If he has a good senior year and has a great combine (which he should) we could see his name called as early as top 15. He certainly has the tools.

scottyboy
08-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Pedro Sosa of course. yea im a homer, but he'd be great value later in the draft. not Long, baker level (yet) but still could be a very solid pro

TACKLE
08-24-2007, 07:46 PM
what about Tony Hills?

He reminds a lot of Tony Ugoh.

DraftMichaelHuff
08-24-2007, 07:55 PM
So basically most of these guys have been RT throughout their college careers so far but will play LT this year, so i guess its a bit too early to tell then.

What about Heath Benidict, is he capable of the same rise as Joe Staley in that he is from a small school. Whats the thought on him

Turtlepower
08-24-2007, 07:58 PM
Pedro Sosa of course. yea im a homer, but he'd be great value later in the draft. not Long, baker level (yet) but still could be a very solid pro

I think he is better suited for a guard in the pros or a OT in a more zone blocking scheme. The boy needs to put on some weight.

Grave Digger
08-25-2007, 03:11 PM
With Jeff Jagodzinski taking over as HC of Boston College, he'll more certainly install a similar offense to the Packers. West Coast Offense with Zone Blocking. I don't know that for a fact, maybe someone has heard different.

Depending on how Cherilus performs, does anyone think he'd be a good pick in the 1st for the Packers? The transition would be smooth because of the Jagodzinski connection in my opinion. The Packers need a future LT because Clifton is getting old and oft injured. They have Daryn Colledge, but he's better suited for LG I think.

foozball
08-28-2007, 03:04 PM
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=56811

oher is listed as 6'5 1/4

SenorGato
08-29-2007, 11:51 AM
http://nationalchamps.net/2006/preview/pics/small/mississippi_michael_oher_sm.jpg

That is the perfect LT frame. Long arms, loose, excellent base...alot of signs of excellent athleticism...

Honestly, I think Oher might be the best LT prospect to come out in a while. I think he'll grade out better than D'Brick. He plays like McNeill without the back problems...and thats a sick, sick player.