PDA

View Full Version : Big 10 Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sniper
08-22-2007, 04:02 AM
So we don't have to start arguments in different threads that don't really relate to that specific thread, let's have a Big 10 Discussion Thread.

Hines
08-22-2007, 05:12 PM
penn state 12-0

wiscbadgerfootball
08-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Wisconsin vs Michigan will be a game for the centuries

P-L
08-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Wisconsin vs Michigan will be a game for the centuries
I'm kind of hoping that Wisconsin wears themselves out the week before against Ohio State and Michigan can get up big on Michigan State early and take the starters out after three. http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

Shane P. Hallam
08-22-2007, 05:29 PM
I think UM wins the Big Ten, though they will lose a game in conference. I think OSU, Wisconsin, and PSU have a dangerous three-way and knock each other out (OSU beats Wisconsin, Wisconsin beats PSU, PSU beats OSU).

NDfootball
08-22-2007, 05:30 PM
penn state 12-0

I actually think it's a legit possibility. The Michigan game is the biggest question mark, but Wisco and tOSU are at home, any other loss would be surprising.

princefielder28
08-22-2007, 05:33 PM
I actually think it's a legit possibility. The Michigan game is the biggest question mark, but Wisco and tOSU are at home, any other loss would be surprising.

Legit???? As legit as Duke making a bowl game; always a chance, but in the end we all know it won't happen

scottyboy
08-22-2007, 05:36 PM
Legit???? As legit as Duke making a bowl game; always a chance, but in the end we all know it won't happen

so you mean I'm the only one with Rutgers and Duke in the title game??

and it's really between Wisconsin and Michigan. I really think Michigan will win it, but it's a stacked conference with a couple of legit possible winners(Mich, Wisc, OSU)

Hines
08-22-2007, 05:36 PM
i was just trying to start **** haha..i see 11-1 or 10-2

princefielder28
08-22-2007, 05:37 PM

and it's really between Wisconsin and Michigan. I really think Michigan will win it, but it's a stacked conference with a couple of legit possible winners(Mich, Wisc, OSU)

It's a three horse race, but we don't know who will be the Win, Place, and Show

wiscbadgerfootball
08-22-2007, 05:38 PM
i was just trying to start **** haha..i see 11-1 or 10-2

try 9-3/8-4

Hines
08-22-2007, 05:40 PM
try 9-3/8-4

no i think 10-2 at worse..i believe we might lose to wisconsin and we will most likely lose to michigan but i believe we take tosu

P-L
08-22-2007, 05:40 PM

I would never count out OSU. I think they have a very good team this year. Although with two of the big three on the road, I don't think they can run the table.

Shane P. Hallam
08-22-2007, 05:47 PM
I would never count out OSU. I think they have a very good team this year. Although with two of the big three on the road, I don't think they can run the table.

There is no doubt the conference is a 4 horse race. Any of the 4 could take it. Nope, no way OSU runs the table, but we're solid everywhere, not great anywhere, but not bad either. I think any of the four could get some luck and win the conference.

princefielder28
08-22-2007, 05:49 PM
There is no doubt the conference is a 4 horse race. Any of the 4 could take it. Nope, no way OSU runs the table, but we're solid everywhere, not great anywhere, but not bad either. I think any of the four could get some luck and win the conference.

Penn State has the talent to win the Big Ten, but they won't b/c of Anthony Morelli. He is such an overhyped QB that will never reach the next level that people are expecting of him.

scottyboy
08-22-2007, 05:51 PM
P-L, thats why i consider it mainly between Mich and Wisc, but no way can count out OSU. but facing 2 of the big 3 on the road will hurt them, unless they win them both...
it could be kinda like the NFC East was last year. the teams will all beat up on each other and each come away with one or two losses. it should be real fun to watch though...

Hines
08-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Penn State has the talent to win the Big Ten, but they won't b/c of Anthony Morelli. He is such an overhyped QB that will never reach the next level that people are expecting of him.

i actually think he will reach that potential this year..he has the weapons around him and i think he will do fine

BerninWI
08-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Actually Wisky is still very much 2nd tier in the big ten, they have no national championships and haven't even played for one really not counting.

I have no problem with Wisconsin being considering 2nd tier (with upward momentum), as long as the Badgers are properly associated with programs they are on par with, and separated from lesser programs.

I've seen 3 diffent program rankings recently (2 subjective and 1 objective), and all 3 had Wisconsin ranked 13th over different time periods (10, 14, and 3 years). Now that's consistency.

If I had to break down tiers I'd go:

1 (no order)- tOSU, Michigan, USC, Oklahoma, Texas, LSU, Miami, Florida, FSU

2. (no order)- Wisconsin, Georgia, Auburn, Tennessee, Va Tech, Nebraska, PSU,

3. (no order)- Iowa, Notre Dame, West Virginia, Louisville, Oregon,

And I reject the notion that just because typically you aren't in the discussion for national championships, you can't vie for an MNC in any given year in the future. Tennessee won a national championship, but hasn't been near that level outside that one instance. Auburn went undefeated and would have went to the MNC game if there weren't two other undefeated major teams, an atypical occurrence. Va Tech went to a national championship game but haven't legitimately vied for the crown otherwise. Wisconsin is one of the several candidates beyond USC this year (it's USC and the rest) and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Badgers win it all in the next 5-10 years. Bielema is certainly is instilling that as a realistic aspiration with his players. MNC is not an accomplishment that necessarily has to be exclusive to 8 or 9 teams. And if it is, the system seriously needs to be examined, because there is obvious bias involved. 8-9 teams wouldn't win the NC every year if there was an 8 team playoff to determine the actual best team in CFB. Maybe the powers that be desire to remain that way, and that's why talks about a playoff are stagnant, even if it's the only logical solution. "Because it makes every game important and that makes college football special". They're brainwashing people. Football is America's #1 sport in the pros too, and people are going to be enthralled by games regardless. How many meaningless NFL games do people watch? College basketball is much more popular than pro basketball. Americans love football and college sports.

Incorporate the top 7 bowls. The peripheral bowls will be just as meaningless as normal, serve as vacations for fans, and occupy people's time during the holidays so family gatherings aren't as painful.

Institute a damn playoff. (sorry, I got sidetracked).

Shane P. Hallam
08-22-2007, 06:00 PM
P-L, thats why i consider it mainly between Mich and Wisc, but no way can count out OSU. but facing 2 of the big 3 on the road will hurt them, unless they win them both...
it could be kinda like the NFC East was last year. the teams will all beat up on each other and each come away with one or two losses. it should be real fun to watch though...

So does Wisconsin if I'm not mistaken, they get PSU and OSU away. So, if you are going by schedule, you mean it is between PSU and UM.

As for Morelli, I don't think you can teach smarts. I saw him play high school ball in person, and I was never overly impressed. If PSU does falter, it will be that their offense can't compete with the kind of defenses the Big Ten has to offer.

BerninWI
08-22-2007, 06:02 PM
I'm pretty sure that wasn't the official "giving a crap" standings. Way to link an ESPN story though, good job.

What does the fact that ESPN compiled the stats and wrote the article have to do with anything? All they basically did was interpret subjective information.

13(t)- Wisconsin, 89-38, 2 conf, 6-3 bowls

22- Penn State, 74-47, 1 conf, 4-2 bowls

That should be enough for you to prove how absurd it is to say nobody cares about Wisconsin as a PSU fan. If nobody cares about Wisconsin, there should be a similar level of apathy toward PSU, or even worse. You made a hypocritical statement and I called you on it.

wiscbadgerfootball
08-22-2007, 06:05 PM
what would you guys say for an All-Big 10 Team projection

QB- Chad Henne
RB- Chris Wells
RB- Mike Hart
TE- Travis Beckum
WR- Mario Manningham
WR-
OL- Jake Long
OL-
OL-
OL-
OL-

DL- Vernon Gholston
DL-
DL
DL

LB- Dan Connor
LB- James Laurinitis
LB-

CB- Justin King
CB- Jack Ikegwuonu
S-
S-

K- Taylor Melhaff
P-

gotta fill in some blanks but yeah what are you guys' opinions

Hines
08-22-2007, 06:08 PM
jamar adams for saftey
and anthony something for penn state

i think gholsten is all american de
maurice evans could produce to be an all big ten

terrence toliver is all big ten tackle

NDfootball
08-22-2007, 06:15 PM
Ha, I would like to see Wisconsin win the title in the next decade, but I cant see it happening. Key Lime meant they're in the 2nd tier of the Big Ten, behind OSU Michigan and PSU talent wise.

For what it's worth, Wisconsin is one of the most consistent teams in Division 1 and they had a great run in the late 90's. But it's the same story every year, easy non conference schedule, a loss or two to the Big Ten powerhouse teams. But if they can do it any year, It might as well be this one.

scottyboy
08-22-2007, 06:15 PM
So does Wisconsin if I'm not mistaken, they get PSU and OSU away. So, if you are going by schedule, you mean it is between PSU and UM.

As for Morelli, I don't think you can teach smarts. I saw him play high school ball in person, and I was never overly impressed. If PSU does falter, it will be that their offense can't compete with the kind of defenses the Big Ten has to offer.

you're right. my bad, didnt know the schedules, and frankly im too lazy to look them up. thanks. i dont think PSU is in the same class as OSU, Michigan and Wisc. i just dont like PSU O as many have already stated, Morelli just isnt the guy you want to lead you in a TOUGH Big 10.

i really think it's gonna be Michigan anyway, considering the schedule or not. I also think Wisc. can handle PSU on the road, but then again, it is Happy Valley...

cardsalltheway
08-22-2007, 06:34 PM
The Hoosiers are gonna be surprising people this year. Bill Lynch is no Terry Hoeppner, but the offensive firepower alone will be enough to keep this team in games. The defense and OL were mostly freshmen last year and they should only improve this year with added experience. Add in the 4th easiest schedule in the nation, and I don't see the Hoosiers missing a bowl.

P-L
08-22-2007, 06:35 PM
what would you guys say for an All-Big 10 Team projection

QB: Chad Henne
RB: Mike Hart
RB: Chris Wells
WR: Mario Manningham
WR: James Hardy
TE: Travis Beckum
OT: Jake Long
OG: Jordan Grimes
C: Tony Brinkhaus
OG: Adam Kraus
OT: Kirk Barton

DE: Vernon Gholston
DT: Terrence Taylor
DT: Nick Hayden
DE: Kenny Iwebema
LB: Dan Connor
LB: James Laurinaitis
LB: J Leman
CB: Jack Ikegwuonu
S: Jamar Adams
S: Dominique Barber
CB: Malcolm Jenkins

K: Taylor Melhaff
P: Ken DeBauche

wiscbadgerfootball
08-22-2007, 06:37 PM
I agree with all of those PL.. great list

Shane P. Hallam
08-22-2007, 06:46 PM
I agree, I think Indiana and Illinois take a step up whereas Iowa takes a step back.

BerninWI
08-22-2007, 07:09 PM
QB- Chad Henne (Michigan)
RB- Chris "Beanie" Wells (OSU)
RB- Mike Hart (Michigan)
WR- Mario Manningham (Michigan)
WR- James Hardy (Indiana)
TE- Travis Beckum (Wisconsin)
OL- Jake Long (Michigan)
OL- Jordan Grimes (Purdue)
OL- Kirk Barton (OSU)
OL- Adam Kraus (Michigan)
OL- Trevor Rees (N'western)

DL- Vernon Gholston (OSU)
DL- Kenny Iwebema (Iowa)
DL- Mitch King (Iowa)
DL- Matt Shaughnessy (Wisconsin)
LB- Dan Connor (PSU)
LB- James Laurinaitis (OSU)
LB- J Leman (Illinois)
DB- Jack Ikegwuonu (Wisconsin)
DB- Malcolm Jenkins (OSU)
DB- Anthony Scirroto (PSU)
DB- Justin King (PSU)

K- Taylor Mehlhaff (Wisconsin)
P- Ken Debuache (Wisconsin)

R- Marcus Thigpen (Indiana)

I compiled my list before I saw PL's. They're both pretty close. Good job man.

princefielder28
08-22-2007, 07:46 PM
I agree with all of those PL.. great list

same here.....

Sniper
08-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Nice list to P-L and Bern. Both excellent lists.

Now, onto previews. We all know I'm a massive Michigan homer and I think they can run the table this year in the conference. We OWN....Penn State! We really seem to have their number and unless Morelli learned how to read a defense in the off-season, I don't see him having the stones to pull one out at the Big House. Wisconsin is a very good team, probably the most balanced in the conference but it's tough to win the Big 10 with a new quarterback. I think Hill is overrated but running behind Wisconsin's O-line a lot of backs would look good, despite losing Thomas.

Ohio State, well, they're still the Buckeyes. Replace studs with more studs. Their QB won't be asked to do much, just put the ball in Wells' and Saine's stomachs and watch that massive O-line do their things. The new guy (Boeckman right?) will have the luxury of having one of the best lines in all of college football protecting him, giving him ample time to throw.

Michigan bias aside, I think we can run the table. However, losses to Oregon, Penn State, Wisconsin or Ohio State would not shock me, just disappoint me. I'll say we go 11-1 with a loss at UW because of their balance. I think we get the monkey off our back (OSU) though and there will be a 3 way tie for the title.

1a. Michigan
1b. Ohio State
1c. Wisconsin
4. Penn State
5. Purdue
6. Indiana
7. Illinois
8. Iowa
9. MSU
10. Northwestern
11. Minnesota

wiscbadgerfootball
08-22-2007, 09:19 PM
3 way title haha remember Donovan does have past experience from last year so he'll have an idea of what to do

Im_a_Romosexual
08-22-2007, 09:22 PM
nice! Gabe Carimi was named starting LT for the Badgers. he was one of my best friends in middle school, but then changed schools and havent talked to him since

wiscbadgerfootball
08-22-2007, 09:24 PM
nice! Gabe Carimi was named starting LT for the Badgers. he was one of my best friends in middle school, but then changed schools and havent talked to him since

really.. sweet

edit- Rivals Pre-Season All Big Ten Team

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=rivals-150718&prov=rivals&type=lgns

BerninWI
08-22-2007, 10:16 PM
My 2nd Team All Big Ten

DL Tim Jamison (Michigan)
DL Nick Hayden (Wisconsin)
DL Terrence Taylor (Michigan)
DL Bryan Mattison (Iowa)
LB Jonathan Casillas (Wisconsin)
LB Marcus Freeman (OSU)
LB Shawn Crable (Michigan)
DB Vontae Davis (Illinois)
DB Jamar Adams (Michigan)
DB Dominique Barber (Minnesota)
DB Allen Langford (Wisconsin)

QB Jake Christenson (Iowa)
RB P.J. Hill (Wisconsin)
RB Tyrell Sutton (Northwestern)
WR Adrian Arrington (Michigan)
WR Dorien Bryant (Purdue)
TE Dustin Keller (Purdue)
OL Tony Brinkhaus (Minnesota)
OL Sean Sester (Purdue)
OL Marcus Coleman (Wisconsin)
OL Alex Boone (OSU)
OL Eric Van Den Heuvel (Wisconsin)

P Jared Armstrong (Purdue)
K Aaron Petrey (OSU)

Sniper
08-22-2007, 10:39 PM
What the ****? 2 teams and Morgan Trent and Johnny Sears don't make the cut? Blasphemy I tell you! ;)

BerninWI
08-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Predicted Final Standings

1. Wisconsin (tiebreaker)
2. Michigan
3. Penn State
4. Ohio State
5. Iowa
6. Purdue
7. Illinois
8. Indiana
9. Northwestern
10. Minnesota
11. Michigan State

Wisconsin and Michigan are clearly have the best combinations of talent and experience in the conference this season, returning a high proportion of key starters from successful teams last season. The difference between last season is matchups and location. The Michigan D-Line shouldn't be quite as nasty and Wisconsin has a mobile QB to evade any pass rush unlike last year. He should be able to make enough plays to help the Badgers score every once in a while and keep the defense fresh. Last year, Michigan's stout defense forced 6 straight 3 and outs, which tired out the Badger defense who played well up until that point. They were also put in very precarious positions because the special team's coverage's inability to contain Steve Breaston, a returner which is incomparable to any current Michigan returner. A fresh Badger D should have the medicine for a dangerous Michigan O. Michigan's versatility on offense is matched by Wisconsin's versatility on defense. Outside of Wisconsin, Michigan has all of their tougher games at home, against teams who they have superior talent in comparison. I think they go 11-1. Wisconsin has 2 realistically loseable games on the road outside Michigan. Defense will keep both PSU's and OSU's solid but unspectacular offenses well contained, but Donovan will be too erratic in one (probably OSU), trying to make too many plays with his mediocre arm against fast secondaries, and it will cost the Badgers. 11-1 for them as well.

PSU has a very good defense. They might be a little susceptible on the line though so teams should move the ball on occasion. Morelli will be completely stymied against top defenses, and they won't be able to run the ball as consistently as with Hunt, so I think they could struggle against balanced teams like Wisconsin and Michigan. They should dominate just about everybody else.

OSU has an excellent defense, but they were gutted playmaker wise on O. I'm just not seeing Schoenhoft and their receivers generating much offense. Wells will have to be awesome in the big games.

For Iowa, Christenson is a pretty good QB, but where are his targets following a couple key suspensions? Albert Young is solid, but not spectacular. That's how I would describe their offense. Their D-Line is awesome, but anybody who can buy a little time, will torch their mediocre secondary. Weak schedule puts them in the top 5.

Shane P. Hallam
08-24-2007, 12:34 AM
Schoenhoft? He isn't even starting :P

I'm cool with you putting OSU 4th, just know which QB is starting at least.

Spartan4224
08-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Michigan better hope that they can just win the game at STATE. Arrogance is a weakness which so many Michigan fans have.
I'm kind of hoping that Wisconsin wears themselves out the week before against Ohio State and Michigan can get up big on Michigan State early and take the starters out after three. http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

Spartan4224
08-24-2007, 01:20 PM
Remember, you can't spell LLoyd without two L's!!!!!

P-L
08-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Michigan better hope that they can just win the game at STATE. Arrogance is a weakness which so many Michigan fans have.

It won't be a contest. I promise you that. Michigan State fans are under the illusion that they will be competitive in football every year. Sorry to break it to you, but it's not going to happen. The score might be closer than it was last year, but it won't be by much. Michigan has arguably one of the best offenses in college football (top five at least). The Spartans are breaking in a new coach, lost their best player and leader in Drew Stanton, and lost both of their starting CB. Michigan is returning nearly the same offense that hung 31 points on State through three quarters last year. The optimism is cute, but I don't buy it. Michigan will beat State. Count on it.

Sniper
08-24-2007, 02:45 PM

State's not good at all this year. It's not really arrogance for being confident that Michigan will beat a bottom feeder.

Shane P. Hallam
08-24-2007, 03:41 PM
My friends that go to MSU say that they are predicting 8th in the Big Ten..

keylime_5
08-24-2007, 04:17 PM
OSU is gonna finish 1st or 2nd depending on who wins in Ann Arbor against UM. OSU beats Wisconsin this year though at home, they are a little overrated (didn't really beat any great teams in their 11-1 season last year), and Alvarez is gone. Plus OSU's defense is far and away the most loaded in the conference, and Tressel has taken less talented teams to BCS bowls before. If Wells explodes then this team could be better than 2002's NC squad.

Sniper
08-24-2007, 04:34 PM
Plus OSU's defense is far and away the most loaded in the country, and Tressel has taken less talented teams to BCS bowls before.

There's this team. They play in Southern California I believe. Ohio State's defense is not more loaded than theirs. Those little bits of homerism can just jump out sometimes don't they?

princefielder28
08-24-2007, 04:42 PM
OSU is gonna finish 1st or 2nd depending on who wins in Ann Arbor against UM. OSU beats Wisconsin this year though at home, they are a little overrated (didn't really beat any great teams in their 11-1 season last year), and Alvarez is gone. Plus OSU's defense is far and away the most loaded in the country, and Tressel has taken less talented teams to BCS bowls before. If Wells explodes then this team could be better than 2002's NC squad.

First of all the Badgers ended the season by beating a pretty good Arkansas team. Barry Alvarez was gone last year, and Brett Bielema has done a sensational job as head coach. Ohio State's defense isn't great like USC's, but it is certainly one of the better ones. Wells may burst on to the scene but if he doesn't then Ohio State is in a bit of trouble.

Sniper
08-24-2007, 04:43 PM
First of all the Badgers ended the season by beating a pretty good Arkansas team. Barry Alvarez was gone last year, and Brett Bielema has done a sensational job as head coach. Ohio State's defense isn't great like USC's, but it is certainly one of the better ones. Wells may burst on to the scene but if he doesn't then Ohio State is in a bit of trouble.

I agree with almost everything there. Yes, Wisconsin did beat Arkansas, but other than that????????? The only other legit team was Michigan and they lost by 2 TD.

ToldLikeItIs
08-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Michigan
Penn State
Ohio State
Iowa
Wisconsin

Losing Douglas hurt, but people forget he came out of no where as a freshman himself and passed up guys like Stross and Grigsby. The truth is, had James Cleveland not been in academic trouble last year, he would have been the one playing in the first team at WR. Bowman isn't much of a loss, his replacement, Paul Chaney, runs a legit 4.3 flat. Now with the emergence of DJK (the best pure athlete at WR in the big ten) and Andy Brodell (burnt two TX first round picks last year for multiple touchdowns in the Alamo Bowl) along with Cleveland, Stross and incoming freshman Colin Sandeman, this WR corp without Douglas and Bowman (they are gone for good, convicted or not, bc thats how real, respectable teams roll) is still deep and ultra talented. Combine the most experienced duo in the big ten with a 3-year groomed QB and a couple all big ten lineman (eubanks, olsen) and the Hawks offense is going to be a force.

Bern is right, the secondary is lacking, but only at safety, where two great athletes will play, Jordan Bernstine and Harold Dalton, at cornerback, physical freak Charles Godfrey is poised for a big year and Adam Shada rarely ever makes a mistake.

Everyone knows about our DL, and with a healthy Kenny Iwebema it's the best in the Big Ten, but the best kept secret is OLB AJ Edds, a 6'4 244 lb sophomore linebacker who had a huge offseason where he put on 25 lbs and lowered his forty to a mid 4.5.. The Hawkeye defense is going to be dirty.. and yeah our schedule is easy..so watch out..

I still say Penn State blows us away though, the talent on that team is ********. Wisconsin is in for a rude awakening.

princefielder28
08-24-2007, 05:14 PM
I agree with almost everything there. Yes, Wisconsin did beat Arkansas, but other than that????????? The only other legit team was Michigan and they lost by 2 TD.

They beat the teams they were given and lost to the best team in the conference on the road, and yes Michigan was better than Ohio State, but unfortunately for Michigan they were playing on the road.

scottyboy
08-24-2007, 05:32 PM
MSU lost to rutgers with Ryan Hart at QB. ever since, they've gone downhill. not many teams can say the lost to Ryan Hart...

Sniper
08-24-2007, 05:35 PM
Michigan
Penn State
Ohio State
Iowa
Wisconsin

God the homerism never stops. Iowa is most definitely not better than Wisconsin, that's absurd.

GB12
08-24-2007, 05:37 PM
God the homerism never stops. Iowa is most definitely not better than Wisconsin, that's absurd.

I don't know what it is about Iowa, but all their fans are complete homers.

Sniper
08-24-2007, 05:44 PM

ESPN plays a big role in that. Every year they hype up Iowa like there's no tomorrow because "Kirk Ferentz is the most super duper coach ever". First off, Ferentz is good, not great. And Iowa recruits mediocre players. What is it with Iowa fans?

keylime_5
08-24-2007, 05:50 PM
There's this team. They play in Southern California I believe. Ohio State's defense is not more loaded than theirs. Those little bits of homerism can just jump out sometimes don't they?

sorry about that typo, I meant in the conference. Got my C words mixed up. No one's defense is by far the most loaded in the country at all, even USC's. But yeah, I have to agree that USC is first and LSU is right there with Ohio State as the top 3 defenses.

elway777
08-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Ferentz is what 55-40?

Mediocre

Sniper
08-24-2007, 06:38 PM
sorry about that typo, I meant in the conference. Got my C words mixed up. No one's defense is by far the most loaded in the country at all, even USC's. But yeah, I have to agree that USC is first and LSU is right there with Ohio State as the top 3 defenses.

Ok, understandable mistake. But I will give the edge to USC on every front on defense over OSU.

Sniper
08-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Ferentz is what 55-40?

Mediocre

BLASPHEMY! He's the best coach in the country! :rolleyes:

keylime_5
08-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Ok, understandable mistake. But I will give the edge to USC on every front on defense over OSU.

For now....I think by seasons end it will be plain that OSU's DBs were even better than SC's mainly b/c Coleman/Russell (OSU's safeties) are unproven but will both be household names eventually. Also, USC's LBs are the best LB unit in the country and OSU's are regarded as the 2nd best, so there's that.

On Iowa...Ferentz is a great coach, but even he can't make a team with the talent level he has right now beat out Wisconsin in the Big Ten Standings with that defense and running game. Whoever has better offensive/defensive lines usually wins more games, and Wisconsin definitely has Iowa matched in that department.

ToldLikeItIs
08-24-2007, 07:00 PM
haha sniper ur funny..

u just explained why ferentz is a great coach yourself..

combine what you say and fact..

Iowa recruits mediocre players..."fact"..but sends at least 6 to the league every year... fact...

Doering, Richardson, Bernstine, Bulaga, Christensen, Hunter, Bailey...all mediocre?

Iowa develops players, some walk-ons, some ** and some *** and wins games with what they have, that is what makes Ferentz a great coach and the BEST coach in the country at overrall player development.

Who do NFL coaches respect more, Lloyd Carr, Jim Tressel, Kirk Ferentz, or Pete Carroll?

Turtlepower
08-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Who do NFL coaches respect more, Lloyd Carr, Jim Tressel, Kirk Ferentz, or Pete Carroll?

Pete Carroll... Are you seriously going to compare Ferentz to Carroll? You guy's lost to Dirk Koetter at Arizona State. And that was your good team.

Sniper
08-24-2007, 07:24 PM
haha sniper ur funny..

u just explained why ferentz is a great coach yourself..

combine what you say and fact..

Iowa recruits mediocre players..."fact"..but sends at least 6 to the league every year... fact...

Doering, Richardson, Bernstine, Bulaga, Christensen, Hunter, Bailey...all mediocre?

Iowa develops players, some walk-ons, some ** and some *** and wins games with what they have, that is what makes Ferentz a great coach and the BEST coach in the country at overrall player development.

Ferentz is not the best coach at player development, that's incredibly false. How many players from Iowa went to the league the past 2 years? I doubt it's 12. And for your NFL coaches question, if you don't think it's Carroll you're so ridiculously blinded by your Iowa homerism it's unreal.

Turtlepower
08-24-2007, 07:27 PM
"Toldlikeitis" should listen to the truth.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=C6AFCJ1dLdg

duckseason
08-24-2007, 07:30 PM
2006 Iowa 21 Wisconsin 24

2005 Iowa 20 Wisconsin 10

2004 Iowa 30 Wisconsin 7

2003 Iowa 27 Wisconsin 21

2002 Iowa 20 Wisconsin 3

Given the recent history between these two programs, I don't think it's unreasonable at all to give Iowa the slight nod in the rankings at this point. I certainly can understand why people would think Wisconsin will be the better team this year. I see it that way too. But given the relatively equal footing these two programs currently stand on, it seems odd that some people can't understand the opposite. Record-wise, I project these two teams to end the season with similar marks. They both play ridiculously easy schedules, but Iowa misses both teams that will threaten Wisconsin- tOSU and Michigan. So while I do feel that Wisconsin is the superior team this year, I don't think it's overly ambitious for Hawkeye fans to project Iowa finishing slightly higher than Wisconsin in the conference standings. 10-2 for both teams seems more than attainable, and I can't see either of them finishing with less than 9 wins.

Vikes99ej
08-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Ohio State is my "darkhorse" in the Big Ten this year. I really think they have a great chance to win it. A great O-line, great running game, and a fantastic defense. I can see them doing big things again in 07. Just my opinion.

ToldLikeItIs
08-30-2007, 12:49 PM
Ferentz is not the best coach at player development, that's incredibly false. How many players from Iowa went to the league the past 2 years? I doubt it's 12. And for your NFL coaches question, if you don't think it's Carroll you're so ridiculously blinded by your Iowa homerism it's unreal.

Sniper, I hate to make you look just ********..but here she goes..

I'll go from the beginning of the Ferentz tenure, some in the last two years, some not, players with little high school recognition and/or a low 'rivals/scout' rating who have made it big.

Start with the guys you wouldnt expect

Nate Kaeding, Jon Babineaux, Derreck Robinson, Scott Chandler, Bruce Nelson, Marcus Paschal, Jovon Johnson, Brian Ferentz, Mike Elgin, Sean Considine

You know these guys real well

Bob Sanders, Chad Greenway, Robert Gallery, Dallas Clark, Aaron Kampman, Eric Steinbach

None of the above were **** players, half of them were **, three of them were walk ons. Discussion over.

bearsfan_51
08-30-2007, 01:32 PM
Have you ever been to Iowa? What else are they going to do, talk about corn? At least the other Big Ten states have some big cities (well...Milwaukee isn't really big..and it's basically just a suburb of Chicago..but it's still a lot of fun).

By the way, I don't think Minnesota will be last. It's obviously going to be a year of transition and with a RS Freshman at QB and them implementing the spread offense it could take a while, but they've been in the 3-5 win range in the Big Ten for the last 6-7 years or so. I would currently rank them 9th ahead of Northwestern and Indiana. I know that Indiana is everyone's popular pick because of Hardy and the slight momentum that they built last year, but I just think with what is going on around the program that it's going to sap some of that momentum. We'll see though...could go either way.

princefielder28
08-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Ohio State is my "darkhorse" in the Big Ten this year. I really think they have a great chance to win it. A great O-line, great running game, and a fantastic defense. I can see them doing big things again in 07. Just my opinion.

It will all hinge on their offense b/c we know their defense will be good

CARDIAC CAT 7
08-30-2007, 02:45 PM
2006 Iowa 21 Wisconsin 24

2005 Iowa 20 Wisconsin 10

2004 Iowa 30 Wisconsin 7

2003 Iowa 27 Wisconsin 21

2002 Iowa 20 Wisconsin 3

Given the recent history between these two programs, I don't think it's unreasonable at all to give Iowa the slight nod in the rankings at this point. I certainly can understand why people would think Wisconsin will be the better team this year. I see it that way too. But given the relatively equal footing these two programs currently stand on, it seems odd that some people can't understand the opposite. Record-wise, I project these two teams to end the season with similar marks. They both play ridiculously easy schedules, but Iowa misses both teams that will threaten Wisconsin- tOSU and Michigan. So while I do feel that Wisconsin is the superior team this year, I don't think it's overly ambitious for Hawkeye fans to project Iowa finishing slightly higher than Wisconsin in the conference standings. 10-2 for both teams seems more than attainable, and I can't see either of them finishing with less than 9 wins.

This is the best team Wisconsin has had in the past 5 Years, and this is one of Iowas worst teams in the past 5 years, the past can be misleading.

princefielder28
08-30-2007, 02:51 PM
This is the best team Wisconsin has had in the past 5 Years, and this is one of Iowas worst teams in the past 5 years, the past can be misleading.

agree.......in previous years these two teams were pretty similar in talent and Iowa just kept beating up on the Badgers, but this year there is a well defined gap between the two

gstock05
08-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Iowa is a decent program with a decent head coach.

Kirk Ferents my be decent at player development, but he's NOT good with x's and o's. I don't care what you say... not an offensive or defensive genius in any way shape or form. Not saying he's bad, but just nothing great.

However, Iowa does not deserve to be mentioned with Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan, and PSU in the upper echelon big 10 teams. And despite beating Wisconsin recently, the overall records for an entire season matters more than one win.

ToldLikeItIs
08-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Gstock, decent at player development? Really?

Kirk is all x and o's, are you insane?

He doesn't draw up trick plays like Charlie Weis, nor is he a self acclaimed offensive or defensive genius, but his entire resume and persona is a direct reflection of the way he does things and his stubbornness about it. There also isn't a better offensive line coach in the country.

The reason the NFL values his opinion so highly is because of the way he prepares the players he has for the league, both in the weightroom and in the football classroom. The guy is a teacher of the game, a class act, and one of the most respected college coaches in the country.

Tressel is the same way, he's a great game day coach and he develops players very well, Mangold, Jenkins, Troy Smith, Anderson Russell, the list goes on, but he also has those high profile recruits from Ohio and that is the separator.

I'm not sure how you can call putting 3 walk ons 8 ** (12 after this year) and a handful of *** in the NFL "decent" player development. The numbers and facts are there, I'd like to see another coach who has done the same. (Tressel is close, probably the closest)

Vikes99ej
08-30-2007, 04:16 PM
It will all hinge on their offense b/c we know their defense will be good

I'm not very worried about they're offense. I think Boeckman will be all right, and Robiskie had 29 receptions last year. I don't know how good effective your offense needs to be when you have a defense like that.

dabears10
08-30-2007, 04:37 PM
He doesn't draw up trick plays like Charlie Weis, nor is he a self acclaimed offensive or defensive genius, but his entire resume and persona is a direct reflection of the way he does things and his stubbornness about it.

What trick plays? Like screens, draws, runs to the inside and outside?

Are you trying to say that his trick plays are the varieties of formations he likes to run?

Anyways, back to that argument about player development. I would agree that player development is Kirk Ferentz's best attribute, but then you go on to say he's all x's and o's. Stick to one argument.

srv fan
08-30-2007, 04:42 PM
I also do not understand why Ferentz gets so much love. Is he a good coach? Of course. He took a bottom dweller and has made them a respectable program. But to imply that he belongs with the legit geniuses of college football- Spurrier, Myer, Tressel, etc.- is ridiculous.

Furthermore, the fact that Iowa doesn't have to play OSU or Michigan is crazy. If you want to be considered a top flight B10 team, schedule like it.

I think Michigan has the best shot to win the Big 10. I feel like Wisconsin might have been better last year. I'm not bashing Wisc or anything, because they do return a ton of talent and are absolutely a contender for the B10 title, but it is so hard to win consistently when you are completely one dimensional. Running the ball ten billion times a game with a 240 pound RB and an offensive line that probably has its own gravitational pull alleviates that somewhat, but at some point every team needs their QB and WR to make plays. Wisc does their scheme very well, but a rookie QB and no notable skill players besides Beckum make me leery of them. Same thing for OSU- Laurinaitis, Boone, Wells, etc. are all great, but a rookie QB and Brian Robiskie as your threats?

GB12
08-30-2007, 04:47 PM
Furthermore, the fact that Iowa doesn't have to play OSU or Michigan is crazy. If you want to be considered a top flight B10 team, schedule like it.

Well that's not their fault though.

princefielder28
08-30-2007, 04:52 PM
Well that's not their fault though.

yeah that was a bad argument by him b/c they can't control who they play in conference

ToldLikeItIs
08-30-2007, 05:06 PM
I don't see a wide gap between the two teams, lets look at it from a ** standpoint, shall we?

Since stars are such a accurate indication of talent..

QB - Jake Christensen, rivals100 ****
RB - Albert Young ****
FB - Tom Busch ***
WR - Trey Stross ***
WR - Andy Brodell **
TE - Tony Moeaki, rivals100 ****
LT - Dace Richardson, rivals100 ****
LG - Seth Olsen ***
C - Rafael Eubanks ****
RG - Julian Vandervelde ***
RT - Kyle Calloway ***

LE - Kenny Iwebema ***
RE - Bryan Mattison ***
DT - Mitch King ***
DT - Matt Kroul ***
OLB - AJ Edds ***
MLB - Mike Klinkenborg ***
OLB - Jeremiha Hunter, rivals100 ****
CB - Charles Godfrey **
CB - Adam Shada **
FS - Jordan Bernstine, rivals100 ****
SS - Harold Dalton ***

KR - Cedric Everson ****
PR - Colin Sandeman ***

5 rivals100 players for a star average of...3.3

Pretty sure thats higher than Wisconsins...and...

Charles Godfrey, Kenny Iwebema, Andy Brodell, Mike Klinkenborg and Albert Young are all legitimate NFL prospects, for 2008.

Wisconsin is not a better team on paper or in retrospect, they are just coming off of a very good season (in which the competition was weak) and do return roughly 80% of their starters.

Sniper
08-30-2007, 05:21 PM
I don't see a wide gap between the two teams, lets look at it from a ** standpoint, shall we?

If there's not such a wide gap, why are there players like Travis Beckum, PJ Hill, Jack Ikegwuonu etc... being mentioned as Big 10/AA possibilities and no one from Iowa is? Fce it, Wisconsin is better. Get over it. Deal with it.

Boston
08-30-2007, 05:30 PM

RB - Albert Young ****
FB - Tom Busch ***
WR - Trey Stross ***
WR - Andy Brodell **
LG - Seth Olsen ***
C - Rafael Eubanks ****
RT - Kyle Calloway ***

LE - Kenny Iwebema ***
RE - Bryan Mattison ***
DT - Mitch King ***
DT - Matt Kroul ***
OLB - AJ Edds ***
CB - Charles Godfrey **
CB - Adam Shada **
SS - Harold Dalton ***

KR - Cedric Everson ****
PR - Colin Sandeman ***

Charles Godfrey, Kenny Iwebema, Andy Brodell, Mike Klinkenborg and Albert Young are all legitimate NFL prospects, for 2008.

Wisconsin is not a better team on paper or in retrospect, they are just coming off of a very good season (in which the competition was weak) and do return roughly 80% of their starters.

Do you remember who Wisconsin played for their final game of the year? Do you remember what was supposed to happen, and actually happened.

On a side not, this transition from baseball to football is always so weird. It's like pulling out that dusty photo album that is your football team.

ToldLikeItIs
08-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Eubanks, Klinkenborg and Iwebema have all been mentioned as top 5 for their positions.

Douglas got some love too, but we know how that worked out.

CARDIAC CAT 7
08-30-2007, 05:46 PM

RB - Albert Young ****
FB - Tom Busch ***
WR - Trey Stross ***
WR - Andy Brodell **
LG - Seth Olsen ***
C - Rafael Eubanks ****
RT - Kyle Calloway ***

LE - Kenny Iwebema ***
RE - Bryan Mattison ***
DT - Mitch King ***
DT - Matt Kroul ***
OLB - AJ Edds ***
CB - Charles Godfrey **
CB - Adam Shada **
SS - Harold Dalton ***

KR - Cedric Everson ****
PR - Colin Sandeman ***

You posting this makes Ferentz look like a bad coach, what your saying is that Ferentz is a great coach. Yet you list this high caliber player rating list and Iowa comes out average every year. It looks to me Ferentz isn't making the most out of his talent. Then you look at Wisconsin and they turn walk-ons and low star prospect into solid starting/backup players along with many other BIG TEN schools. Not saying Ferentz is a bad coach, but by you posting this u kinda prove EVERYONE ELSES POINT(think about it).

bearsfan_51
08-30-2007, 05:54 PM
However, Iowa does not deserve to be mentioned with Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan, and PSU in the upper echelon big 10 teams. And despite beating Wisconsin recently, the overall records for an entire season matters more than one win.
To be fair, on average Wisconsin and Penn State really aren't in the same league yearly that Ohio State and Michigan are. There's a reason why the OSU-Michigan game usually decides who wins the championship.

princefielder28
08-30-2007, 06:02 PM
To be fair, on average Wisconsin and Penn State really aren't in the same league yearly that Ohio State and Michigan are. There's a reason why the OSU-Michigan game usually decides who wins the championship.

Throughout the past decade the Badgers have put themselves in a position to be discussed with Michgan and ohio State as possible Big Ten Champs

bearsfan_51
08-30-2007, 06:03 PM
Throughout the past decade the Badgers have put themselves in a position to be discussed with Michgan and ohio State as possible Big Ten Champs
I agree, but as a program they still aren't at the level of Ohio State and Michigan. Historically or otherwise.

princefielder28
08-30-2007, 06:10 PM
I agree, but as a program they still aren't at the level of Ohio State and Michigan. Historically or otherwise.

I don't think they ever come close to the prestige of those two programs, but they are starting to solidify themselves in that 2nd tier

iowatreat54
08-30-2007, 06:25 PM

RB - Albert Young ****
FB - Tom Busch ***
WR - Trey Stross ***
WR - Andy Brodell **
LG - Seth Olsen ***
C - Rafael Eubanks ****
RT - Kyle Calloway ***

LE - Kenny Iwebema ***
RE - Bryan Mattison ***
DT - Mitch King ***
DT - Matt Kroul ***
OLB - AJ Edds ***
CB - Charles Godfrey **
CB - Adam Shada **
SS - Harold Dalton ***

KR - Cedric Everson ****
PR - Colin Sandeman ***

olsen is starting at tackle because Dace is hurt, Kuempel is the other guard, humpal is the other OLB not Hunter, Moylan is the other safety and Bernstine is 4th deep at CB not a S, Brodell is at PR and Sims and Chaney (now DJK cuz Chaney is hurt) at KR

and I appreciate you're arguing for Iowa and KF told, but your arguments are all over the place...you say he's better at developing talent than anyone, then you come back with saying our players are higher rated than Wisconsins? come on, you're just contradicting yourself...

as for the argument of Iowa's place in the big 10 and KF, I don't really wanna get into it because I'm obviously a fan...I would honestly put the list at:
1. tOSU
2. Mich
3. PSU
4. Wisc
4.9/5. Iowa

I will admit that even though we have dominated them lately, overall Wisconsin is ahead of us

As for KF, he is a really great coach and everyone here loves him...he's great at developing talent into players who have a shot at the NFL...we don't get really any high recruits with the exception of 2005 and a select few others, but then again we aren't going 11-0 or 10-1 with those teams either, so I'm not about to call KF a god...to mention him in the same likes as Pete Carroll is just absurd and should never happen...IMO KF isn't a top 10 coach in NCAA but I would put him at 2 or 3 in the big 10 (right now, with Tressel being 1) because I'm not a fan of Carr and up til last season neither were many Michigan fans, and obviously JoePa is ahead of everyone, but at this point in his career he really isn't the great coach he once was and I believe that a majority of the coaching/play call is on other coaches in the system

is Iowa a good/solid program? yes. Is KF a good/top 15-20 coach? yes. but that's basically all we are, a good to great program.

Buckeyes
08-30-2007, 10:05 PM
We all know how this season is going to turn out... all overrated teams (1-10) will lose and the Buckeyes will again find a way to the National Championship

gstock05
08-30-2007, 11:28 PM
We all know how this season is going to turn out... all overrated teams (1-10) will lose and the Buckeyes will again find a way to the National Championship

If you're going to just spout off babble, dont bother posting.

I'm not going to argue player development, or possibly being good at finding diamond in the rough players (whichever it is).

No doubt Ferentz is a high moral good coach. However, he's one of the most conservative college coaches there are and that has come to hurt him more than a few times.

Player development? I agree he's good at it, but what do you make of Drew Tate? He looked awesome his sophomore year, then never progressed a step beyond that. Getting players ready for the NFL? I can think of three good hawkeyes in the NFL... Steinbach, Dallas Clark, and Bob Sanders.

Putting a bunch of players into the NFL in round 6 and 7 is great, but it really doesn't mean a whole lot.

I think Ferents is a good coach, but I just think he underachieves with the talent at hand.

Sniper
08-31-2007, 01:46 AM

If you could not talk anymore, that would be stellar.

Boston
08-31-2007, 01:55 AM

Well, in that case, try not to embarrass us again. Thanks.

portermvp84
08-31-2007, 10:18 AM

I hope not last year they had a good team. This year I wouldn't mind seeing the Wolverines go. they have a pretty stacked defense and a very good offense. I hate to say it since i'm a die hard hawkeye fan, But Michigan has good chance of going and winning the big ten. But thas just my opionion.

BerninWI
08-31-2007, 10:03 PM
If Iowa can't win at least 9 games with their schedule, their football team should disband and they should play something that takes a little less skill like "go fish". They don't play either Michigan or Ohio State. Iowa state lost to a MAC team, while Syracuse looks even crappier than usual.

And Told is again caught in another one of his classic contradictions in the sake of unconditionally defending the Hawkeyes. They are amongst the best in everything in college football, and yet they've went a combined 13-12 the last two years, and 55-43 under Ferentz.

Told: "Ferentz is the best coach in college football. Just look at what he does with such inferior talent."

Told: "Why are you saying Iowa has inferior talent? Just look at all the 5 and 4 stars they have.

How does he not get dizzy and nauseous from the equilibrium trip of completely contradictory points of view? He argues in circles. You don't even have to debate him. He'll counter his own points if you wait long enough.

BerninWI
09-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Wisconsin suspended backup RB Lance Smith for 5 road games this season as a result of misconduct involving his girlfriend this summer.

I don't know if it was mentioned when this occurred, but before the season Wisconsin also kicked starting DE Jamal Cooper off the team for an incident in practice where he reportedly got drunk at pracice and berated Coach Bielema in his office afterward.

So it looks as if he's not being so lenient anymore.

Zack Brown and John Clay will have to compensate for the loss of Smith.

MaxV
09-05-2007, 04:18 PM
This thread is a very good idea. Although, I wish they'd be less homerism and more objective discussions.

Obviously, all of us have high hopes for our teams.

I'm a PSU fan, and I am excited about this year's team. I admit, there are some question marks but there is no question about the talent.

Offense:

- I hope Morelli has learned from his mistakes from last year and will do a better job as far as decision-making.

- The O-Line is talented, but inexperienced. Gerald Cadogan moved from OG to LT. He has the ability to be a good one, but often times this kind of switch can bring out some mistakes.

- We will finally see if Austin Scott is worth the hype. He played great in that Orange Bowl vs. the great FSU D a couple of years ago, I hope he can do that for rest of this year. Kinlaw is a good backup. I am hoping that RS Freshman Evan "Rolls" Royster gets some carries, he's clearly the future for PSU at this position, and he looks like a future star.

- The WR and TE positions are deep and should be the strengths of this O. Obviously, I'm hoping Derrick Williams finally becomes the player he should be. I hope Quarless doesn't stay in Joe's doghouse for too long.

Defense:

- I'll start with LBs. Connor/Lee/Bowman is a very good trio. Sales figures to see playing time as well. The much hyped Jerome Hayes will see the field primarily as a pass-rusher.

- DL is LOADED with talent. The 2006 Recruiting class provided the team with a great number of talented "Big Uglies". I have very high hopes for this unit not only for this year but for the future years as well.

- Justin King is among the elite CBs in the country, the jury is still out on Lydell Seargent. AJ Wallace has a bright future, but still needs some work. I am hoping Wallace can develop quickly and take over the spot opposite King, relagating Seargent to nickleback.

- Anthony Scirrotto is a good player, just needs to stop trying to beat up every guy that looks at his girlfriend.

- I must admit that I was against the move of Tony Davis to safety, but it looks like it may be a successful one.

iowatreat54
09-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Wisconsin suspended backup RB Lance Smith for 5 road games this season as a result of misconduct involving his girlfriend this summer.

I don't know if it was mentioned when this occurred, but before the season Wisconsin also kicked starting DE Jamal Cooper off the team for an incident in practice where he reportedly got drunk at pracice and berated Coach Bielema in his office afterward.

So it looks as if he's not being so lenient anymore.

Zack Brown and John Clay will have to compensate for the loss of Smith.

any reason why it is 5 road games and not just like the next 5 games? also, I can't wait to see how Clay does...did he play at all in the opener?

princefielder28
09-05-2007, 06:06 PM
any reason why it is 5 road games and not just like the next 5 games? also, I can't wait to see how Clay does...did he play at all in the opener?

I don't know what the reasoning behind it would be but 5 games is 5 games

iowatreat54
09-05-2007, 06:16 PM
I don't know what the reasoning behind it would be but 5 games is 5 games

not necessarily...I mean true he is a backup and not that he doesn't have a big role, but it's not like he will have a huge impact on the game...but it just gives the undertone that oh what you did wasn't bad enough to be suspended 5 games period...you can still play at home games...idk it just isn't very logical IMO

I mean what if your next 5 games included games at home vs. Mich and OSU? now I know thats not the case, but that would make a big difference

MikeIsGood
09-05-2007, 07:44 PM
not necessarily...I mean true he is a backup and not that he doesn't have a big role, but it's not like he will have a huge impact on the game...but it just gives the undertone that oh what you did wasn't bad enough to be suspended 5 games period...you can still play at home games...idk it just isn't very logical IMO

I mean what if your next 5 games included games at home vs. Mich and OSU? now I know thats not the case, but that would make a big difference

I would MUCH rather it be the next five games period instead of the five road games. He misses UNLV and Illinois either way. If he were to miss the next five, the other three would be The Citadel, Iowa, and and Michigan State. Missing the road games, he'll instead be out for Penn State, Ohio State, and the season closer at Minnesota.

Him missing the five road games is on paper (looking at the opponents) more hurtful to us than him missing five games period. Not only do we face tougher opponents on the road of the two options, but having it done this way also means we will be lacking any continuity at backup running back (if Smith, indeed, remains the backup).

The bright side is that hopefully Brown and Clay will be properly tailored for when we go on the road to Illinois and Penn State in a few weeks, and ultimately Ohio State later in the season. I expect them to get lots of burn this Saturday @ UNLV.

For the final point, the next five games DON'T include Mich and OSU, so it's a moot point. The five road games DO include OSU and PSU.

Im_a_Romosexual
09-05-2007, 09:02 PM
He probably cant leave the state

soybean
09-05-2007, 09:27 PM
i wonder what danman thinks about the appalachian state game.

gstock05
09-06-2007, 12:35 PM
what happened to danman?

HawkeyeFan
09-06-2007, 01:42 PM
To the people who were arguing that Iowa isn't that far off from Wisconsin, yea we are.

Wisconsin is ranked, we're not and theres a reason for that, its no mistake that we aren't. Why? Because we have major question marks yet with the Quarterback position, offensive line and Safeties. Wisconsin doesn't have that big of a question mark.

The talent gap is close between the two? Hell no it isn't. Wisconsin has several players being talked All American, we have several who are being talked All..... Big 10 not All American right now. Right now Wisconsin is the better team.

Am I saying Iowa will get slaughtered by them come time to play them? No, I'm saying that if we were to play right now we'd get slaughtered. By the Wisconsin game Iowa will have filled out the questionmarks and have developed chemistery.

Iowa < Wisconsin

Sniper
09-06-2007, 01:45 PM
To the people who were arguing that Iowa isn't that far off from Wisconsin, yea we are.

Wisconsin is ranked, we're not and theres a reason for that, its no mistake that we aren't. Why? Because we have major question marks yet with the Quarterback position, offensive line and Safeties. Wisconsin doesn't have that big of a question mark.

The talent gap is close between the two? Hell no it isn't. Wisconsin has several players being talked All American, we have several who are being talked All..... Big 10 not All American right now. Right now Wisconsin is the better team.

Am I saying Iowa will get slaughtered by them come time to play them? No, I'm saying that if we were to play right now we'd get slaughtered. By the Wisconsin game Iowa will have filled out the questionmarks and have developed chemistery.

Iowa < Wisconsin

Holy crap a rational Iowa fan. I didn't know they existed. Nice post man.

CARDIAC CAT 7
09-06-2007, 10:47 PM

Iowa < Wisconsin

Well put, and Charles Godfrey is nasty (quite yell)!!!

SuperKevin
09-07-2007, 09:57 PM
Purdue's Selwyn Lymon might be facing disciplinary action after getting in a bar fight and being stabbed in the chest

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3009650

Vikes99ej
09-08-2007, 04:00 PM
Seriously, the Gophers are a disgrace to the state of Minnesota. They had trouble with a MAC team for the second week in a row.

Hines
09-08-2007, 04:02 PM
uh oh the wolvarines coud be 0-2

maybe that means a lot of their recruits will leave too

Sniper
09-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Yep Michigan sucks, we know. Don't start a flame war. I was wrong. Michigan sucks.

Hines
09-08-2007, 05:38 PM
there you go d will with the punt return

MaxV
09-08-2007, 05:43 PM
PSU O-Line needs to do a better job of run-blocking. So far, no holes for Scott.

Hines
09-08-2007, 05:48 PM
i was mad when morelli threw that pick

princefielder28
09-08-2007, 07:49 PM
I liked my pick of Oregon beating Michigan back in July and now today I have a big ol' smile

Hines
09-08-2007, 07:51 PM
id be suprised if michigan makes it to a bowl..now the big ten race is between osu, wis, and psu imo

bearsfan_51
09-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Seriously, the Gophers are a disgrace to the state of Minnesota. They had trouble with a MAC team for the second week in a row.
To be fair this is a team starting a lot of freshman under a new coaching staff. I mean don't get me wrong our defense is absolutely pathetic, but Brewster was brought in as a guy that can recruit and convince Minnesota talent to stay at home. If he can do that, struggles they have to go through this year won't mean a lot. Glen Mason always made bowl games but did anyone really care?

Hines
09-08-2007, 07:59 PM
notre dame is gonna get walked on all year

SuperKevin
09-08-2007, 08:01 PM
id be suprised if michigan makes it to a bowl..now the big ten race is between osu, wis, and psu imo

Purdue's offense is pretty sick this year though too

P-L
09-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Michigan will get to a bowl as long as they finish 6-6. The #7 team in the Big Ten gets the Motor City Bowl as long as they finish 6-6. I like our chances at Notre Dame. We will probably lose to PSU, but that is a winnable game. We own Penn State over the years. But for sake of argument I'll say we lose that. The next two games (Northwestern and Eastern Michigan) should be wins. That puts us at 3-3. If we win two in a row I like our chances against Purdue at home and then Minnesota (who's played bad this year) hould be a win. Illinois could upset us but if we will likely win that too. That makes us 6-3 going to to the Michigan State, Wisconsin, Ohio State stretch. I'm sure we'll beat MSU and probably lose the final too. That puts us at 7-5 and it allows for Purdue, Illinois, or Michigan State to upset us and still make a bowl.

Hines
09-08-2007, 08:07 PM
justin king baby

bearsfan_51
09-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Michigan will get to a bowl as long as they finish 6-6. The #7 team in the Big Ten gets the Motor City Bowl as long as they finish 6-6. I like our chances at Notre Dame. We will probably lose to PSU, but that is a winnable game. We own Penn State over the years. But for sake of argument I'll say we lose that. The next two games (Northwestern and Eastern Michigan) should be wins. That puts us at 3-3. If we win two in a row I like our chances against Purdue at home and then Minnesota (who's played bad this year) hould be a win. Illinois could upset us but if we will likely win that too. That makes us 6-3 going to to the Michigan State, Wisconsin, Ohio State stretch. I'm sure we'll beat MSU and probably lose the final too. That puts us at 7-5 and it allows for Purdue, Illinois, or Michigan State to upset us and still make a bowl.
If I'm Michigan I don't even go to the Motor City Bowl. I mean...can you imagine Michigan playing Bowling Green in Detroit in early December? That's just....awkward.

Sniper
09-08-2007, 08:09 PM
justin king baby

Talk about a gimme.

P-L
09-08-2007, 08:12 PM
If I'm Michigan I don't even go to the Motor City Bowl. I mean...can you imagine Michigan playing Bowling Green in Detroit in early December? That's just....awkward.
Well if they pull off an upset or two they could be looking at the Insight Bowl, Alamo Bowl, or Champs Sports Bowl. LOL.

NFLBOY
09-08-2007, 09:37 PM
It is just beautiful when Michigan is 0-2. Losing 2 games at home back to back is great. I hate Michigan and this is the best thing for those arrogant fans in Ann Arbor. I hope this streak continues.

Im_a_Romosexual
09-08-2007, 09:41 PM
the streak will end b/c they play Notre Dame next

iowatreat54
09-08-2007, 09:43 PM
It is just beautiful when Michigan is 0-2. Losing 2 games at home back to back is great. I hate Michigan and this is the best thing for those arrogant fans in Ann Arbor. I hope this streak continues.

who are you?

anyways...iowa 35-0 over Cuse

christensen is 22-31 276 and 4 tds with 1 pick and a fumble, and atleast 3-4 of those incompletions were blatant drops, including the pick that went through the WR's hands
young and sims have combined like 90 yards rushing but we haven't run the ball like at all

still, we are starting to play better together but we still lack any real explosiveness IMO

gstock05
09-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Not a bad game by Iowa... they're at least picking up the big 10's slack....

On another note, the 2007 version of Ohio State's defense could be the best we've had since 2002, and the most talented draft-wise we've ever had.

It's too early to say, but watching them fly around out there today was incredible. We only had to rush 3 and the qb still had no time to pass. Our linebackers were tackling the backs 2 yards behind the line, our safeties were flying all over the field, and I dont think their quarterback made one downfield pass all day. LSU and USC are getting all the hype, but OSU's is easily just as good.

Boekmann worries me right now, but I think he'll get better. A lot of the turnovers were a result of rain and simple luck. Had OSU caught one of our 4 dropped interceptions, and we hadn't fumbled three times losing all, and threw two interceptions (one as a result of a receiver slipping on the wet turf) we would have rolled 35+. However we cant play this "young" and inexperienced vs. Washington.

P-L
09-08-2007, 11:11 PM
who are you?

He's scorchin, not sure if you know who that is though.

SuperKevin
09-09-2007, 12:03 AM
I really think the surprise team in the Big 10 is Iowa. If Christensen can develop quickly they can be a dangerous team

Smokey Joe
09-09-2007, 12:05 AM
Big 10's surprise team... Northwestern :D

Vince Lombardi
09-09-2007, 12:08 AM
Well Wisconsin narrowly escaped UNLV. That spread offense is pesky as hell man. Thank god that's over!

SuperKevin
09-09-2007, 12:09 AM
Curtis painter is the best QB in the Big 10 without a doubt right now

CARDIAC CAT 7
09-09-2007, 01:16 AM

Watch out for Northwestern, their confident and run the spread, duh duh duuuuuuuuhh. Poor Mike Hart, hes such an impressive person, to bad the team cant take as much pride in their play as him, he deserves better :(.

Current Big Ten Power Rankings:
1. Penn State -Defense and Offense look well prepared and are very talented. They are crushing early schedule oppenents.
2. Wisconsin - Need to find their passing game before Big Ten Play begins, looks horrible(TOO MANY DROPS!!!). Fastes D in the BIG TEN
3. Ohio State - Should of won by more in both games, maybe only using basic play calls, Still a Solid pick to win BIG TEN but are less talented than Penn and Wisconsin.
4. Iowa - Running game looks really good, could be best in confrence, unexpierenced passing game though, defense looks good too.
5. Purdue - Havent really watched them a hole bunch but they seem to be doing well, look like a well balanced team offensivly/defensively and look like a very athletic team.
6. Illinois- Juice gives them a chance in AGAINST ANYONE, running game looks good too and are a stout run stopping team.
7. Michigan- Eventually they will decide they fell like trying and get atleast half way on track, maybe their young D can rally together to prove the world wrong, IDK???
8. Northwestern- Great Spread System can attack you in many different ways, Sutton(RB) is the biggest star not talked about in the BIG TEN , looks like a shoot out team.
9. Michigan State- Great Playmakers on both sides of the field but they need a more solid supporting cast around their stars.
10. Indiana- Will compete with every team in the BIG TEN, theyre offense is scary, but their D looks not so scary.
11. Minnesota- GO AMIR PINNIX , keep the streak of great RB's in the NFL alive, only bright spot i can see.

Iamcanadian
09-09-2007, 09:40 AM
Watch out for Northwestern, their confident and run the spread, duh duh duuuuuuuuhh. Poor Mike Hart, hes such an impressive person, to bad the team cant take as much pride in their play as him, he deserves better :(.

Current Big Ten Power Rankings:
1. Penn State -Defense and Offense look well prepared and are very talented. They are crushing early schedule oppenents.
2. Wisconsin - Need to find their passing game before Big Ten Play begins, looks horrible(TOO MANY DROPS!!!). Fastes D in the BIG TEN
3. Ohio State - Should of won by more in both games, maybe only using basic play calls, Still a Solid pick to win BIG TEN but are less talented than Penn and Wisconsin.
4. Iowa - Running game looks really good, could be best in confrence, unexpierenced passing game though, defense looks good too.
5. Purdue - Havent really watched them a hole bunch but they seem to be doing well, look like a well balanced team offensivly/defensively and look like a very athletic team.
6. Illinois- Juice gives them a chance in AGAINST ANYONE, running game looks good too and are a stout run stopping team.
7. Michigan- Eventually they will decide they fell like trying and get atleast half way on track, maybe their young D can rally together to prove the world wrong, IDK???
8. Northwestern- Great Spread System can attack you in many different ways, Sutton(RB) is the biggest star not talked about in the BIG TEN , looks like a shoot out team.
9. Michigan State- Great Playmakers on both sides of the field but they need a more solid supporting cast around their stars.
10. Indiana- Will compete with every team in the BIG TEN, theyre offense is scary, but their D looks not so scary.
11. Minnesota- GO AMIR PINNIX , keep the streak of great RB's in the NFL alive, only bright spot i can see.

I tend to agree, Penn St is the team to beat. Paterno's teams are always tough to beat when he has a senior QB.

MaxV
09-09-2007, 09:54 AM
I'm a PSU fan, and I am happy that they are 2-0, but they still need to improve in certain areas.

I wasn't happy with the way the O-Line looked in the 1st half yesterday. Austin Scott didn't get a great deal of running room.

Morelli needs to stay away from turnovers as much as possible also.

RyanLeaf#1
09-09-2007, 09:58 AM
I'm a PSU fan, and I am happy that they are 2-0, but they still need to improve in certain areas.

I wasn't happy with the way the O-Line looked in the 1st half yesterday. Austin Scott didn't get a great deal of running room.

Morelli needs to stay away from turnovers as much as possible also.

Well use will probably get your first loss on October 13th.

Hines
09-09-2007, 10:53 AM
Well use will probably get your first loss on October 13th.

what????????????

GB12
09-09-2007, 10:55 AM
what????????????
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/mgkadow/250px-BuckyBadgerGraphic.gif

bearsfan_51
09-09-2007, 11:04 AM
If we're doing power rankings, Michigan deserves to be last. They are the only team without a win, they lost to a Div 1-AA team. It's not complicated.

MaxV
09-09-2007, 11:24 AM
No, Michigan shouldn't be last. They are still a talented group.

Hines
09-09-2007, 11:26 AM
with the streak of michigan, do you think they will lose their top recruits this year

bearsfan_51
09-09-2007, 11:31 AM
No, Michigan shouldn't be last. They are still a talented group.
And they can work their way back up, but at this point they've proven absolutely nothing.

Northwestern and Minnesota could have lost to App State and gotten blown out by Oregon. The color of the jerseys shouldn't determine how teams are ranked.

BrownsTown
09-09-2007, 11:36 AM
Penn St. is not going to win the Big 10 this year. Book it.

ToldLikeItIs
09-10-2007, 04:15 AM
Doing some good things right now, our freshman class is superb, and half of them have already seen the film.

RickNJ, Dezman Moses is a bad, bad man.
Christian Ballard has unheard of speed for his size.
Bernstine is an all-world athlete.
Sandeman has serious, serious wheels and moves. My choice for most underrated, he was pre rivals100, I can see why.
Bulaga will take a medical redshirt after a shoulder injury, he has 1st rounder written all over him though.
Pugh can play, NFL build already.
Jacody Coleman might slide down to DE, as he's 6'3 250 ALREADY, and still has a lot of room on his frame, but he's already up to snuff as well.

Redshirt frosh DJK, Cleveland, and Vandervelde complete a talented freshman class.

Just believe me Big Ten, watch out.

keylime_5
09-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Penn St. is not going to win the Big 10 this year. Book it.

If Penn State played @OSU this year I would say OSU wins it hands down. But even if OSU beats Wisky they still might lose to PSU on the road at night, so I'm not gonna call a champ yet. I just know it will be either Ohio State, penn State, or Wisconsin. I think OSU and Wisconsin are better teams than Penn State, but PSU's schedule is more favorable, especially since they have Michigan early in the year. If OSU's running game takes off and/or if Boeckman comes around it's gonna be tough to beat Ohio State in any venue.

eaglesalltheway
09-11-2007, 02:28 PM
PSU is the team to beat right now.

RyanLeaf#1
09-11-2007, 02:40 PM

I strongly disagree

SuperKevin
09-11-2007, 02:45 PM

Because they beat Florida International and a weak Notre Dame team?

I'd have to say the teams to beat are Wisconsin(despite a rough game against UNLV) and Iowa who has a solid offense and defense

iowatreat54
09-11-2007, 04:18 PM
Because they beat Florida International and a weak Notre Dame team?

I'd have to say the teams to beat are Wisconsin(despite a rough game against UNLV) and Iowa who has a solid offense and defense

I would say Wisconsin is still the heavy favorite, while PSU and OSU IMO are 2 and 3, not necessarily in that order...and personally, right now I would put Purdue and MSU ahead of Iowa in terms of "power rankings" or "teams to beat" so far...as much as I have loved how Iowa has played, I am still not too high on our offensive power and our secondary hasn't really showed me anything...and I know Purdue and MSU always fail to live up to their 1st half performance with 2nd half collapses, but as of right now I would be more scared of either of those 2 than Iowa

ToldLikeItIs
09-11-2007, 04:21 PM
You must not understand that having a high power offense sets up our vanilla defense with the 4-5 man rush, 7 yard CB cushion and literal PREVENT setup by safeties then... It makes teams CRAZY

I'd like to see a better DL than ours...

keylime_5
09-11-2007, 04:28 PM
Ohio State has the best and deepest defense. Wisconsin has to play @Ohio State. I think whoever wins that game wins it, but OSU has to win @Michigan which will not be easy no matter how down they are, b/c in that game the teams ALWAYS bring their best.

MaxV
09-11-2007, 04:29 PM
I've gotta be honest, I'm a bit disappointed that PSU coaches haven't gotten Derrick Williams more involved so far.

I hope that will change when we start playing good teams.

iowatreat54
09-11-2007, 04:30 PM
You must not understand that having a high power offense sets up our vanilla defense with the 4-5 man rush, 7 yard CB cushion and literal PREVENT setup by safeties then... It makes teams CRAZY

I'd like to see a better DL than ours...

I absolutely love our DL...Mattison is already starting off amazingly, I think we honestly have a chance of having 3 if not all 4 as All Big Ten at years end...I think that maybe our CBs are fit for something like the cover 2 or any primary zone D, but I absolutely terrified seeing them play man coverage

btw, news on Trey Stross Told- I have a class with him and he is out atleast 2 more games with a torn hammy and strained quad I think, and he also has some bleeding around some nerve in his leg, so he basically has to wait it out see if the bleeding stops, otherwise he might need surgery and may take a medical redshirt

ToldLikeItIs
09-11-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm not concerned about Godfrey in man coverage at all, Shada is questionable.
Stross is an interesting story.

gstock05
09-12-2007, 02:21 AM
Iowa and "high powered offense" dont go to well together.

It's great to see Iowa put up points against bad teams, something OSU couldn't do. However, to call an offense high powered after two games is pushing it, and furthermore to call say Iowa has a DL with 3 outta 4 of the best defensive linemen in the conference is a complete joke.

There are some good players on that DL.. but not that good.

And there is no doubt in my mind that defense in the big 10 goes... Ohio State 1, Penn State 1b, then after that it's hard to tell and honestly up for grabs.

There are four defenses in the country without an arguable weakness, those being LSU, Ohio State, Penn State, and USC. The weakness about OSU's defense in the preseason was supposedly the defensive tackles. I think after leaving akron with 6 (i think) total yards rushing the entire game, and 14 straight 3 and outs, it's fair to say our only perceived weakness isn't weak at all.

ToldLikeItIs
09-12-2007, 06:52 AM
Iowa DL is better than Ohio State DL, and two of those players will be first rounders, King and Iwebema, simply put.

High powered does go with it, just watch.

iowatreat54
09-12-2007, 11:53 AM
Iowa and "high powered offense" dont go to well together.

It's great to see Iowa put up points against bad teams, something OSU couldn't do. However, to call an offense high powered after two games is pushing it, and furthermore to call say Iowa has a DL with 3 outta 4 of the best defensive linemen in the conference is a complete joke.

There are some good players on that DL.. but not that good.

And there is no doubt in my mind that defense in the big 10 goes... Ohio State 1, Penn State 1b, then after that it's hard to tell and honestly up for grabs.

There are four defenses in the country without an arguable weakness, those being LSU, Ohio State, Penn State, and USC. The weakness about OSU's defense in the preseason was supposedly the defensive tackles. I think after leaving akron with 6 (i think) total yards rushing the entire game, and 14 straight 3 and outs, it's fair to say our only perceived weakness isn't weak at all.

you're right...I was just getting a little excited is all...but I honestly think we can have 2 All Big Ten DL...does that mean they are the best in the conference? No. It just means they will have great years. But I do think we have 2 of the top 5 DEs and 2 of the top 10 DTs

and if you wanna look at rushing yards, Iowa is 2nd in the nation in rushing yards given up (45) and PSU is first (-3)...Iowa is also first in pts per game against, 6th in total yards given up (OSU is first)...I know its only the 2 games in to the season and both Iowa and OSU have played cake walk teams, but at this point there really is no basis for saying OSUs D is better this year, yet

ToldLikeItIs
09-12-2007, 02:02 PM
I would say we have one Top 5 DE and one Top 5 DT, which is enough to lay claim for the top DL by themselves. Then add a Top 10 DE and a Top 10-12 DT, it's just icing on the cake.

When Ballard and Clayborn grow up however, we'll have TWO Top 5 DE's in the Big Ten, possibly the country.

Don't let Stock talk to you like that about the offense not being high powered, because as of now it's shown to be more explosive than Ohio States, and that will continue.

GStocks rankings for the Ohio State defense are laughable btw..

gstock05
09-12-2007, 02:12 PM
I would say we have one Top 5 DE and one Top 5 DT, which is enough to lay claim for the top DL by themselves. Then add a Top 10 DE and a Top 10-12 DT, it's just icing on the cake.

When Ballard and Clayborn grow up however, we'll have TWO Top 5 DE's in the Big Ten, possibly the country.

Don't let Stock talk to you like that about the offense not being high powered, because as of now it's shown to be more explosive than Ohio States, and that will continue.

We'll see. I might have been a little harsh in my criticizm of Iowa, and I do like Christensen. I suppose I still have the image of Iowa's defensive line getting knocked around by every decent team they played last year stuck in my head. Although as is with any team, improvements are made in a year, and you could say the same about OSU's defense.

HawkeyeFan
09-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Iowa DL is better than Ohio State DL, and two of those players will be first rounders, King and Iwebema, simply put.

High powered does go with it, just watch.

Iowa's DL may be better than Ohio States, but neither King or Iwebema will be first rounders.

King is what 280lbs? Way to small for an NFL DT, he'd have to be moved to the Defensive end position in the NFL unless he got upto 300lbs which would hurt his athleticism. Iwebema is a good Defensive End, but he isn't great. He doesn't penetrate every play, but is a good run stopper.

And no, Iowa doesn't go with High Powered Offense. We put up what 18 again Northern Illinois? Wow, really impressive offense isn't it? And only put up 35 against Syracuse, not really that impressive. Should have put up 50+.

Niether Iwebema or Mattison are Top 5 Defensive Ends, maybe top 10 but definately not top 5. King is a Top 7 DT but not top 5.

Nice, making suggestions after one game. I highly doubt those two will BOTH be top 5 in the Nation, one will be top 5 in country but not both, both could be top 10 in Big 10 however.

How is it High Powered? Let me know please.

Ohio State, does indeed have a good defense so its not laughable.

Ok, now I'm a HUGE Iowa Hawkeye fan, a but come on? Thats just bull crap that you would say that after playing two bad teams. After we play Wisconsin we can talk how good, or even bad we are. Don't get ahead of yourself.

MaxV
09-12-2007, 03:04 PM

We'll see. PSU D-Line is looking great also.

Might be even better once Abe Karoma comes back. He was suppose to start at NT before injuring his foot right before the first game.

BadgerMike
09-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Iowa's DL may be better than Ohio States, but neither King or Iwebema will be first rounders.

King is what 280lbs? Way to small for an NFL DT, he'd have to be moved to the Defensive end position in the NFL unless he got upto 300lbs which would hurt his athleticism. Iwebema is a good Defensive End, but he isn't great. He doesn't penetrate every play, but is a good run stopper.

And no, Iowa doesn't go with High Powered Offense. We put up what 18 again Northern Illinois? Wow, really impressive offense isn't it? And only put up 35 against Syracuse, not really that impressive. Should have put up 50+.

Niether Iwebema or Mattison are Top 5 Defensive Ends, maybe top 10 but definately not top 5. King is a Top 7 DT but not top 5.

Nice, making suggestions after one game. I highly doubt those two will BOTH be top 5 in the Nation, one will be top 5 in country but not both, both could be top 10 in Big 10 however.

Ok, now I'm a HUGE Iowa Hawkeye fan, a but come on? Thats just bull crap that you would say that after playing two bad teams. After we play Wisconsin we can talk how good, or even bad we are. Don't get ahead of yourself.

Finally a rational Hawk fan. Told keep on posting buddy. I come here strictly for the pure entertainment reading your posts. As usual you never disappoint.

eaglesalltheway
09-12-2007, 08:27 PM
We'll see. PSU D-Line is looking great also.

Might be even better once Abe Karoma comes back. He was suppose to start at NT before injuring his foot right before the first game.

The rest of their D is looking good too, I'd say the best overall in the Big Ten, and I think their in the top 5 of the country right now in terms of overall yards.

CARDIAC CAT 7
09-12-2007, 08:34 PM
The rest of their D is looking good too, I'd say the best overall in the Big Ten, and I think their in the top 5 of the country right now in terms of overall yards.

They are the best until Wisconsin gets their passing game on track. Wisconsins D is much better, and their Offense doesnt turn over the ball. I expected Morelli to be playing better he looks really shaky to me, and Donovan is a playmaker who can change the game with his legs or his arm.

MaxV
09-12-2007, 08:39 PM
They are the best until Wisconsin gets their passing game on track. Wisconsins D is much better, and their Offense doesnt turn over the ball. I expected Morelli to be playing better he looks really shaky to me, and Donovan is a playmaker who can change the game with his legs or his arm.

We'll see.

I don't think Wisconsin's is 'much better'.

PSU has a VERY athletic DL, one of the best LB corps in the country and a very good secondary.

princefielder28
09-12-2007, 08:58 PM
One thing about Penn State, as good as their defense seems there is always going to be a BIG factor that prevents them front big things, QB Anthony Morelli

MaxV
09-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Morelli isn't a bad QB, he just needs to stay away from turnovers as much as possible.

princefielder28
09-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Morelli isn't a bad QB, he just needs to stay away from turnovers as much as possible.

But he doesn't do that in big games so it really doesn't matter if the talent is there if you don't perform

MaxV
09-12-2007, 09:34 PM
But he doesn't do that in big games so it really doesn't matter if the talent is there if you don't perform

Yes, but that's true for any QB.

Why is it that PSU has questions about their 2ND YEAR STARTING QB, and the B10 teams that are breaking in new ones don't?

princefielder28
09-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Yes, but that's true for any QB.

Why is it that PSU has questions about their 2ND YEAR STARTING QB, and the B10 teams that are breaking in new ones don't?

Becuase Morelli was ordained as the next big thing by Penn State fans and in his second year you would assume to see strides if he is truely that good

iowatreat54
09-12-2007, 10:03 PM
maybe because Donovan, Weber, and Christensen have all been performing like studs and there's no real reason to question their abilities so far?

MaxV
09-12-2007, 10:07 PM
maybe because Donovan, Weber, and Christensen have all been performing like studs and there's no real reason to question their abilities so far?

Oh, I see. So playing well against Northern Illinois and Syracuse is more impressive then playing well against Tennesee???

Why are we even having this conversation right now?

ToldLikeItIs
09-12-2007, 11:07 PM

King and Iwebema will both be.

Kings future in the league is at DE, little do you know (being misinformed and very far from the situation) that King is 6'3 1/4 275 lbs and runs a 4.72, he also has tons of experience, good quickness, and uses his hands very well (not to mention a mean streak). He's Roth with speed.

Kenny is 6'4 1/2 267 and runs a 4.7, pretty average for that size, but makes up for it with a great first step and superb athleticism (39" vert), he also has HUGE hands. Both have great shots of being first round picks.

DJK (4.34) Brodell (4.42) Sims (4.35) doesn't equal explosive?? You'll see in time how many strides this team has made, anybody that throws 8 in the box against us is in TROUBLE, and if they don't throw 8 in the box, Young and Sims have big days. That is, assuming we catch the ball.

We're talking about the Big Ten, not the nation. King, and Iwebema are top 5 at their positions, in the Big Ten, but way to jump the gun.

Christian Ballard is a disgusting athlete for his size, and everyone knows this, COULD he be a top 5 DE in the country? Hell yeah. He's 6'5 280 and runs a low 4.6, enough said. Clayborn is very quick and strong, guy also put on forty lbs in the offseason without losing a step. Clayborn might be a bit of a stretch, but Ballard certainly is not.

DJK, Sims, Brodell, Moeaki, zone blocking...sound OL...

Not THAT good, if you saw his rankings (and of course you didn't) he ranked EVERY PLAYER on Ohio States D in the top 100 of the draft when and if they do leave for the NFL. Including former ** Anderson Russell in the top25.

Who cares? Ohio State played Akron and Wisconsin played UNLV, your point? We looked great and our future is bright, trust me. Just shutup man, you know nothing.

HawkeyeFan
09-13-2007, 12:05 AM
Ok, I know nothing? Your a Hawkeye fan and yes I respect you but do you remember last recruiting season how you claimed all these players were coming to us? They didn't they went elsewhere! And I know nothing. I'm just stating the truth, and not being a homer about it. I refuse to say these guys are playing great until we play competition.

Why don't you be down to earth until we play competion, and then if we win you can talk All American, All Conference and even BCS Bowl.

Until then, calm down. We are unproven.

iowatreat54
09-13-2007, 01:10 AM
Oh, I see. So playing well against Northern Illinois and Syracuse is more impressive then playing well against Tennesee???

Why are we even having this conversation right now?

have they done anything to be considered as inconsistent and unreliable as Morelli? No...that's why no one is talking about how those teams have a problem at qb, and how PSUs weakness is QB...so when Morelli proves he can carry an offense, let me know

ToldLikeItIs
09-13-2007, 04:48 AM
I have a rebuttle in my quoting to every one of your points HawkeyFan, check it.

HawkeyeFan
09-13-2007, 08:53 AM
I have a rebuttle in my quoting to every one of your points HawkeyFan, check it.

And your still over analyzing and over suggesting right now.

eaglesalltheway
09-14-2007, 07:03 AM
have they done anything to be considered as inconsistent and unreliable as Morelli? No...that's why no one is talking about how those teams have a problem at qb, and how PSUs weakness is QB...so when Morelli proves he can carry an offense, let me know

That is because they have only played two games, you still don't know what you are going to get out of them.

Sniper
09-14-2007, 07:52 AM
And your still over analyzing and over suggesting right now.

I want to thank you for off-setting Told's crappiness and not completely ruining Iowa's image on this board. At least you don't believe that Iowa is the greatest at everything and every prospect is a freak athlete and they're all potential first rounders.

Sniper
09-14-2007, 07:55 AM
Who cares? Ohio State played Akron and Wisconsin played UNLV, your point? We looked great and our future is bright, trust me. Just shutup man, you know nothing.

Yes the great and wise ToldLikeItMostDefinitelyIsnt knows all. All hail him! Give me a break man. All you ever do is talk about how amazing Iowa is when really they're an overhyped program with nothing to stand back on when talking trash. By the way, is John Clay still an Iowa lock?

ToldLikeItIs
09-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Anythiing Sniper says from here until opening day next season is not to be respected. (Thats not trolling btw 'mods')

Three top ten finishes in a row from 02-05 and consistent NFL player development with an average talent pool to choose from, not to mention one of the most respected coach in the game (not by you stupid fans but by actual NFL owners, coaches, representative, ya know, PEOPLE THAT MATTER)..is enough for me

ToldLikeItIs
09-14-2007, 02:25 PM
Michigan fan talking about overhyped after two humiliating losses in a row, one to a division 1 AA program..

You lost in a game I couldn't even BET ON if I WANTED TO..sad...

gstock05
09-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Told, whether or not Michigan lost, Sniper still is a much better poster than you are.

I'm over the top sometimes with Ohio State admittedly, however most of it is found in reason and at least somewhat objectivity. You are the same, except you can't reason the fact that you're an enormous homer.

And furthermore, if anyone should stop posting crap about until next season, it's not Sniper. And YES, I am defending a Michigan fan. Ironic isn't it?

CARDIAC CAT 7
09-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Michigan fan talking about overhyped after two humiliating losses in a row, one to a division 1 AA program..

You lost in a game I couldn't even BET ON if I WANTED TO..sad...

What was he supposed to say o yeah we will probably break even this year, no.. Every fan thinks this year is a chance to go all the way, because honestly you dont know what you got until you get on the field, with Michigans talent who would of saw Apps State beating them. Oregon would absolutly destroy Iowa if they where to play too. Michigan is still a very talented team. Wait until Iowa hits their BIG TEN schedule, that pound the rock system they have on Offense is not going to cut it. Once again they will be a middle of the pack team, just like the past 5 years, probably not changing any time soon. Enjoy being average year after year after year after year after year.......

iowatreat54
09-14-2007, 05:25 PM
What was he supposed to say o yeah we will probably break even this year, no.. Every fan thinks this year is a chance to go all the way, because honestly you dont know what you got until you get on the field, with Michigans talent who would of saw Apps State beating them. Oregon would absolutly destroy Iowa if they where to play too. Michigan is still a very talented team. Wait until Iowa hits their BIG TEN schedule, that pound the rock system they have on Offense is not going to cut it. Once again they will be a middle of the pack team, just like the past 5 years, probably not changing any time soon. Enjoy being average year after year after year after year after year.......

2002 and 2004 are calling to tell you Iowa won the Big Ten...not to mention top 4 in 2003 finishing ranked #8...so much for a middle of the pack team the last 5 years...

so now you can comeback with something about how the last 2 years we sucked, I'm already anticipating

princefielder28
09-14-2007, 06:05 PM
2002 and 2004 are calling to tell you Iowa won the Big Ten...not to mention top 4 in 2003 finishing ranked #8...so much for a middle of the pack team the last 5 years...

so now you can comeback with something about how the last 2 years we sucked, I'm already anticipating

The Drew Tate years were certainly the pinnacle years of Iowa and no one can say that they were not a tough matchup week in and week out. Greenway and Hodge on defense was a ***** to play against too

iowatreat54
09-14-2007, 06:11 PM
The Drew Tate years were certainly the pinnacle years of Iowa and no one can say that they were not a tough matchup week in and week out. Greenway and Hodge on defense was a ***** to play against too

god I miss Greenway and Hodge :(...I'm going to go play NCAA 06 on ps2 just to see them again

but seriously, I can understand people taking shots at us now or prior to 2001...but if you don't think that over the last 5 years that Iowa was a force in the Big 10, then you obviously have no business posting on here...I mean we won 22 home games in a row over that time frame!! Come on, get serious

CARDIAC CAT 7
09-14-2007, 07:01 PM

I wasnt really concerned about exact records and titles, I was just trying to get that idiot to stop acting stupid. That Told guy just started getting on the loyal Michigan guy because they are off to a rough start. He just finally has a chance to say something bad about Michigan and hes stupid about it. Im no Michigan fan but their no reason to act that way, I apoligize to all other Iowa fans.

iowatreat54
09-14-2007, 07:05 PM
I wasnt really concerned about exact records and titles, I was just trying to get that idiot to stop acting stupid. That Told guy just started getting on the loyal Michigan guy because they are off to a rough start. He just finally has a chance to say something bad about Michigan and hes stupid about it. Im no Michigan fan but their no reason to act that way, I apoligize to all other Iowa fans.

yea I understand...us Iowa fans do look bad on here because of that, I just get annoyed/hate when people shoot back at Iowa because of it, I know we aren't an amazing program but I don't like being reminded about it lol...so no worries

eaglesalltheway
09-14-2007, 08:52 PM
I'm going to the PSU game tomorrow, just got a call from a buddy and was invited to go for FREE. I am excited, and I can't wait. I've always been told there is no atmosphere like the one at a Penn State home game.

BadgerMike
09-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Yes the great and wise ToldLikeItMostDefinitelyIsnt knows all. By the way, is John Clay still an Iowa lock?

Holyshit, I just spit my beer all over the keyboard. This qoute is fricken pricless. LOL

RyanLeaf#1
09-14-2007, 09:10 PM
I'm going to the PSU game tomorrow, just got a call from a buddy and was invited to go for FREE. I am excited, and I can't wait. I've always been told there is no atmosphere like the one at a Penn State home game.

Well they are playing Buffalo.

eaglesalltheway
09-14-2007, 09:58 PM
I know, but still, the atmosphere must still be great.

RyanLeaf#1
09-15-2007, 01:51 AM
I know, but still, the atmosphere must still be great.

Sure..... College football games are great...besides the fact that you cant buy beer inside the game.

NittanyLion2k7
09-15-2007, 02:12 AM
Sure..... College football games are great...besides the fact that you cant buy beer inside the game.

The atomsphere is always great at Beaver Stadium. And yes that is unfortunate you can't buy beer inside the stadium. But if you've ever sat in the student section at Penn State, you'll understand why that's a good thing.

Anyone who's worth their salt is already drunk going to the game anyway.

iowatreat54
09-15-2007, 03:20 AM
The atomsphere is always great at Beaver Stadium. And yes that is unfortunate you can't buy beer inside the stadium. But if you've ever sat in the student section at Penn State, you'll understand why that's a good thing.

Anyone who's worth their salt is already drunk going to the game anyway.

same with Iowa...if you have ever been tailgating/in the student section, you would understand why we have had only 3 "night" games in the history of Kinnick and every other game is at 1130 a.m.

eaglesalltheway
09-15-2007, 05:19 AM

Who cares, honestly? We are all 18 anyway so we wouldn't be able to buy it anyway. I don't even want to drink before I go to a game because I'd rather remember the game and have a bad time than not remember the game and end up in police custody for doing or saying something stupid of offensive.

eaglesalltheway
09-15-2007, 05:22 AM
I'm leaving at 7:00, so this is my last post so I can get ready. If anyone wants info on the game or whatever, I'm getting home around 7:00 tonight, but most of you don't care or would be able to get the info from somewhere else, so I am done wasting your time.

trkaline
09-15-2007, 12:09 PM
wrong thred

Sniper
09-15-2007, 01:04 PM

You split with Michigan in 04 after you lost to us. So really, you finished second. But that's ok ;)

Told, your responses are completely clueless and add nothing to this board. Just stop. Your comeback attempts are weak and pathetic. All you have is "Appalachian State beat Michigan". So what does that make Iowa look like since they can't beat Michigan?

HawkeyeFan
09-15-2007, 01:35 PM
ToldLikeItIsnt

Why don't you open your damn mouth again about us? We look like complete crap so far against 0 - 2 Iowa State.

Just shut your mouth. Absolutely nothing you say should be taken as a fact.

MaxV
09-15-2007, 01:39 PM
Kinlaw has been MUCH better so far this year then Austin Scott.

I think Kinlaw might have won the starting job in this game.

HawkeyeFan
09-15-2007, 03:44 PM
ToldLikeItIsnt, I told you your an overanalyzing and oversuggestion homer fan didn't I? We just got beat by Iowa State? Excuses?

Here's my FACTS
Outcoached
Offense played like complete ****

There you go.

MaxV
09-15-2007, 03:47 PM
ToldLikeItIsnt, I told you your an overanalyzing and oversuggestion homer fan didn't I? We just got beat by Iowa State? Excuses?

Here's my FACTS
Outcoached
Offense played like complete ****

There you go.

LOL, come on bro, you can't be serious.

I'm not one to defend ToldLikeItisNOT, but that loss wasn't his fault.

BerninWI
09-15-2007, 03:50 PM

Alright, we'll all just shut up and trust you from now on. We haven't learned our lesson from the billion other times you have been wrong. You just lost to Iowa State...again...but we'll just trust you on this one.

By the way a common contention of yours is that Iowa is a better program than Wisconsin because they've beaten the Badgers 4 out of 5 games. Then I guess Iowa State is a superior program than Iowa by that same token too, if we're going to use head to head as the pre-eminent standard. What's their record against Iowa recently during a specially selected period of time?

Vikes99ej
09-15-2007, 03:52 PM
I wish the Gophers would switch conferences with someone from 1-AA.

MaxV
09-15-2007, 04:02 PM
Damn, Big 10 isn't looking good this year.

P-L
09-15-2007, 04:09 PM
The Big Ten is looking awful this year. We all know the story with Michigan, Ohio State offense has played like crap and they are losing to the Pac-10's 5th best team, Wisconsin has struggles in consecutive games against UNLV and The Citadel, Iowa looked average against NIU and lost to Iowa State today, Minnesota has been an abortion (granted, they're breaking a new coach and lost a lot of players from last year), and Illinois hasn't been anything special. As of now, Penn State looks like the favorite, even though they haven't looked dominant by any means. They have the best balance of offense and defense in the conference.

MaxV
09-15-2007, 04:12 PM
I hope PSU wins it, but I have been a bit disappointed in them also.

ToldLikeItIs
09-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Not posting again till after the Wisconsin game.

I have one thing to say, our slowest linebacker playing man to man on a receiver is certainly a skull scratcher.

GB12
09-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Not posting again till after the Wisconsin game.

I have one thing to say, our slowest linebacker playing man to man on a receiver is certainly a skull scratcher.
Um, the Wisconsin game's over.

And oh yeah, you're a dumbass.

BerninWI
09-15-2007, 04:41 PM
The Badgers did struggle in the first half, but that was closer to a 52-21 or 59-21 game as opposed to 45-31. The Badgers took their starters out early and Citadel scored garbage points. I don't think West Virginia should get credit for running up the score whereas Wisconsin gets discredited for not doing so. In each of the Badger's first 3 games, they've gotten off to slower starts due to lack of intensity. It's a matter of coming out with more intent because they've shown the potential to turn it on when necessary.

But the gap has closed dramatically between mid majors/D2 and major D1 teams as a result of the spread option offense, amongst other teams. How many have struggled against that offense?

Quite frankly, if you wanted to be picky, nearly every major conference has struggled.

What about the Big 12? Oklahoma State got obliterated by Troy. Texas narrowly beat Arkansas State. They're struggling with Central Florida. Iowa State lost to Northern Iowa and Kent State. TAMU beat Fresno State in OT.

What about the ACC? Virginia got crushed by Wyoming. Va Tech got obliterated by LSU and struggled for a while against ECU. UNC lost to ECU. NC St. lost to Central Florida. Duke got drilled by UCONN. Miami got drilled by Oklahoma. And they haven't even played many OOC games.

It's upset city and the underdogs aren't scared anymore.

BerninWI
09-15-2007, 04:44 PM
Um, the Wisconsin game's over.

And oh yeah, you're a dumbass.

He's referring to the Iowa-Wisconsin tilt. It's amazing he's still confident after that debacle. I guess they've shamed the conference many times before OOC and then played like world beaters in conference. Representin'. Too bad for them if our starting QB gets injured like in '03 we actually have a competent backup and we don't have a QB like in '05 who continually overthrows deep balls. There's a lot more on the line this year than in those games. The Badgers aren't going to beat themselves anymore.

bearsfan_51
09-15-2007, 04:46 PM
New coach, freshman players, food poisoning, I don't care. There is NO excuse for a Big Ten team to lose to a team from the Sun Belt. Then again Troy slaughtered OK State, so I guess it's not that out of the norm.

Vikes99ej
09-15-2007, 05:30 PM
New coach, freshman players, food poisoning, I don't care. There is NO excuse for a Big Ten team to lose to a team from the Sun Belt. Then again Troy slaughtered OK State, so I guess it's not that out of the norm.

Here's the excuse: THEY SUCK!!

keylime_5
09-15-2007, 06:01 PM
Wisky's defense will make them lose 2 or 3 conference games if they play like they did in the first half today. Penn State has a good team, but Morelli might make them lose their chance to win the conference, he can be an INT machine against a decent defense. I think OSU will win the big ten but lose @PSU maybe and perhaps @UM. Depends on how many games Wisky and PSU win. There's a real good chance it will be a shared title again this year.

wiscbadgerfootball
09-15-2007, 06:02 PM
eh I doubt it.. I think the D will pick it up

BrownsTown
09-15-2007, 06:03 PM
It took long enough, but that OSU offense really looked good in the 2nd half. It was like a flip switched for Boeckman, and the Oline was playing out of its mind.

GB12
09-15-2007, 10:35 PM
Northwestern just lost to Duke...

CARDIAC CAT 7
09-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Wisky's defense will make them lose 2 or 3 conference games if they play like they did in the first half today. Penn State has a good team, but Morelli might make them lose their chance to win the conference, he can be an INT machine against a decent defense. I think OSU will win the big ten but lose @PSU maybe and perhaps @UM. Depends on how many games Wisky and PSU win. There's a real good chance it will be a shared title again this year.

Ikegwuonu got hurt on the first play(dont know extent of injury) and Wisconsin played ALOT of their younger players. Wisconsin in the first half let them have anything short they wanted, the second half they decided they would press and just took over, The Defense doesnt worry me. Their arguably the fastest D in the BIG 10, and dont take plays off. The only worry is the passing game which looked more in sync today.

keylime_5
09-15-2007, 11:27 PM
Still, Wisky has to play in Columbus and Happy Valley. I think the title will come down to OSU @ PSU.

Geo
09-15-2007, 11:47 PM
Name change to Big Three is necessary, it comes down to Ohio State, Penn State, and Wisconsin.

Michigan
09-16-2007, 06:57 AM
Name change to Big Three is necessary, it comes down to Ohio State, Penn State, and Wisconsin.

...and Michigan, Purdue, Illinois, MSU, Iowa, Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota... (ok, maybe not Northwestern or Minnesota, but still)

I hope you realize B10 play hasn't started yet.

eaglesalltheway
09-16-2007, 09:28 AM
...and Michigan, Purdue, Illinois, MSU, Iowa, Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota... (ok, maybe not Northwestern or Minnesota, but still)

I hope you realize B10 play hasn't started yet.

But do you honestly think those teams have a better chance of beating Ohio State, Penn State and Wisconsin?

eaglesalltheway
09-16-2007, 09:32 AM
The PSU game yesterday was a great experience for me. I realized so many different things that you don't get to experience watching the game on TV. The estimated attendance was 107,595 but there were a few empty seats, so I would say it was closer to 98-99 thousand, but still, for a game against Buffalo, I would say that isn't too shabby. Connor and Scirrotto were beasts on defense and I was right next to one of the best catches in the last 5 or 10 years of college football.

Sniper
09-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Hey Michigan won a game! Yay! We had a defense! Oh wait we played ND. I withdraw my statement. Still though, 38 point win is nice considering PSU only won by 3 TD vs. the Irish

Michigan
09-16-2007, 02:58 PM
But do you honestly think those teams have a better chance of beating Ohio State, Penn State and Wisconsin?

Ohio State's offense was really shaky to start and is still not very formidable, Wisconsin is struggling versus all sorts of teams, and Penn State hasn't been tested yet. 6-2 will win the Big Ten.

eaglesalltheway
09-16-2007, 04:01 PM
I honestly think the Big 10 record of the winner(s) will be 8-0 or 7-1, because it has been shown so far that the Big 10 is not deep, but the ones at the top need to play well to win. Ohio, Penn, or Wisconsin could do that, but I honestly think PSU has the best shot.

Sniper
09-16-2007, 04:13 PM
I honestly think the Big 10 record of the winner(s) will be 8-0 or 7-1, because it has been shown so far that the Big 10 is not deep, but the ones at the top need to play well to win. Ohio, Penn, or Wisconsin could do that, but I honestly think PSU has the best shot.

Yeah, but the fact still remains that everyone plays each other. Bad start or not, Michigan is not going to go 0-3 vs. OSU, PSU and UW with 2 of the 3 games at home. OSU plays @ PSU, I think PSU is at Wisconsin this whole mess is going to finish with the winner probably 7-1 or 6-2, more likely 6-2

BadgerMike
09-17-2007, 06:52 PM
Hey Told what do you have to say about this:

"There are a few schools that have contacted me. But the one school that jumps out to me probably is Iowa," Kemp said. "Because of what's happened in recent news with their receivers, and then only having like five or six receivers on the depth chart, that is definitely something that has caught my eye and I've talked to the coaches a few times about that. I don't know, but I'm still really stuck on Wisconsin so I don't think I'm going anywhere."

I here all the time about how Kirk doesn't recruit kids once they commit. This is an article from Badger Blitz about a receiver from MO named Wes Kemp. A.Henry also stated Iowa was on him even though he verballed to Wisconsin. Give us a freaking break about the integrity of Iowa recruiting. All schools recruit until LOI day.

BadgerMike
09-17-2007, 06:58 PM

Do not over look Purdue.

MaxV
09-17-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm both excited and nervous about the upcoming PSU-Michigan game. I hope PSU can finally get a W against the Wolverines.

Sniper
09-17-2007, 07:12 PM
I'm both excited and nervous about the upcoming PSU-Michigan game.

I feel the same way. I have a feeling Michigan is going to win it, but it's too close to call. I think it's going to be an excellent game either way, much like the 05 game (with a similar result :) )

BadgerMike
09-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Ohio State's offense was really shaky to start and is still not very formidable, Wisconsin is struggling versus all sorts of teams, and Penn State hasn't been tested yet. 6-2 will win the Big Ten.

What the heck has happened to College football fans. If you do not win by 40 points or more you are considered struggling nowdays. Big Ten teams do not feel it neccessary to run up the scores to impress the voters like the SEC.

Sniper
09-17-2007, 07:20 PM
What the heck has happened to College football fans. If you do not win by 40 points or more you are considered struggling nowdays. Big Ten teams do not feel it neccessary to run up the scores to impress the voters like the SEC.

This is true. Plus, the Big 10 is more of a pro-style offense conference rather than the spreads that are in the SEC, leading to less points as well. A win's a win in my book

ShutDwn
09-17-2007, 07:25 PM
WOOO GO IU!!!

Kellen Lewis was crazy on saturday, he is amazing, the INT wasn't even his fault.

iowatreat54
09-17-2007, 07:43 PM

plus the fact that the Big 10 is generally considered more of a defensive style conference...teams will have good offenses and score points yes, but I still feel that most teams focus more on building a strong D to hold opponents rather than recruiting the most phenomenal offensive athletes to score 70 points a game...the Big 10 does have skilled offenses, but IMO defense is more of a focal point, which is why there will be so many 27-10 or 17-0 games instead of 50-35

NittanyLion2k7
09-18-2007, 02:28 AM

Right. Just like back in 05 where there was no way in hell Ohio State would lose, and then no way in hell Michigan would go 7-5. What else? No way in hell they lose to App State, etc.

BerninWI
09-22-2007, 11:33 PM
Wisconsin has average talent, at best.

You won't beat us for five years.

You must be some kind of flexible to get your foot that far down your throat on a consistent basis.

bearsfan_51
09-23-2007, 12:15 AM
I wouldn't be bragging about barely beating a team that lost to Iowa State.

On a somewhat similar note, I'm interested to see what happens to Penn State. They probably won't drop as far as they should. Honestly Michigan State deserves to be in the top 25 more than they do. Maybe Purdue too.

gstock05
09-23-2007, 12:16 AM
Anybody wanna eat some crow for saying that OSU was the best team in the big 10 before the season started? I remember people said I was crazy after saying that....

Still a while to go, but none of the teams look very competitive right now except perhaps purdue and maybe wisconsin....

BerninWI
09-23-2007, 12:42 AM
I wouldn't be bragging about barely beating a team that lost to Iowa State.

On a somewhat similar note, I'm interested to see what happens to Penn State. They probably won't drop as far as they should. Honestly Michigan State deserves to be in the top 25 more than they do. Maybe Purdue too.

Who's bragging? He made one of his typically buffoonish, outlandish statement; and I called him on it after it didn't nearly come to fruition.

But losing to Iowa State seemingly means virtually nothing about the caliber of Iowa's squad. They've lost to the Cyclones and went on to beat both Michigan and OSU, while running the table in the Big Ten, I believe. They typically lose to Iowa State. And they typcially save their best game for the Badgers. Thankfully, it wasn't enough this season.

HawkeyeFan
09-23-2007, 01:40 AM
ToldLikeItIsn't.

Would you please, get some smarts in yourself? Everything you says backfires, thats why no one believes you, or takes what you say as anything.

Iowa had this game the whole game, had Iowa Victory all over it, too bad our Offense is terrible.

steelernation77
09-23-2007, 02:17 AM
ToldLikeItIsn't.

Would you please, get some smarts in yourself? Everything you says backfires, thats why no one believes you, or takes what you say as anything.

Iowa had this game the whole game, had Iowa Victory all over it, too bad our Offense is terrible.

More like too bad Dom Douglad screwed the team over. If that's Douglas running that route at the end of the game instead of DJK, he catches the ball, Hawks go on to win. Douglas is beyond stupid.

Shane P. Hallam
09-23-2007, 02:54 AM
Is it just me, or is it another crash course for Michigan and Ohio State? I don't think PSU's offense is as good as it was two years ago, and Wisconsin hasn't impressed so far. Michigan is putting their first two losses behind them, and though OSU has played cupcakes, they have looked good. Damn...

iowatreat54
09-23-2007, 03:39 AM
More like too bad Dom Douglad screwed the team over. If that's Douglas running that route at the end of the game instead of DJK, he catches the ball, Hawks go on to win. Douglas is beyond stupid.

doubtful because A. Douglas would have been covered by 6 guys (compared to the 5 covering Cleveland) and B. Cleveland is supposed to be a lot faster than DD so the only people we could have been successful there with were Cleveland, who has hands of stone, or DJK who we have yet to see if his hand are reliable...however had JC hit him in stride, the game is over

Sniper
09-23-2007, 06:26 AM
Is it just me, or is it another crash course for Michigan and Ohio State? I don't think PSU's offense is as good as it was two years ago, and Wisconsin hasn't impressed so far. Michigan is putting their first two losses behind them, and though OSU has played cupcakes, they have looked good. Damn...

Very well could be. Michigan's D has looked exceptional the past two games vs. non-mobile QBs, giving up only 9 points. Granted, one of the games was against a D3 team and other had a ****** for a QB, but still, pretty damn good.

CARDIAC CAT 7
09-23-2007, 12:22 PM
My Updatedd Ranking:
1. Wisconsin - Not really any impressive wins, but heck when do they , the bottom line is they find a way to win.
2. Ohio State - Dominate D, Bullish running game, still dont trust QB need to see him play a better secondary.
3. Michigan - Mallet has provided a much needed spark, Hart gets my vote for Heisman(Just hope that Henne doesnt screw thier momentum when he comes back)
4. Purdue - Team plays fast on both sides of the ball, Defense has tons of senior talent.
5. Penn State - Best Defense in the Big 10 , Morelli is the most disappointing QB in the confrence.
6. Illinois - Playmakers all over the offensive side of the ball , Defense continues to improve.
7. Indiana - Offense thats scores fast and is fast period.
8. Iowa - Veteran D thats needs O to play catch up, may have worst Passing game in the Big 10.
9. Michigan State - Hoyer looks like hes picked up where Stanton left.
10. Northwestern - Lost to Duke and got crushed by Ohio State, does any more need to be said.
11. Minnesota - Long year for Minny.

Vikes99ej
09-23-2007, 12:39 PM
OSU all the way baby

Shane P. Hallam
09-23-2007, 01:46 PM
I thought OSU had very little chance to win the Big Ten when the year started, but now, I'm excited about our chances. The offense has looked better, Beanie is running well and Saine will come back for our harder opponents. We have a shot!

BadgerMike
09-23-2007, 03:45 PM
My Updatedd Ranking:
1. Wisconsin - Not really any impressive wins, but heck when do they , the bottom line is they find a way to win.
2. Ohio State - Dominate D, Bullish running game, still dont trust QB need to see him play a better secondary.
3. Michigan - Mallet has provided a much needed spark, Hart gets my vote for Heisman(Just hope that Henne doesnt screw thier momentum when he comes back)
4. Purdue - Team plays fast on both sides of the ball, Defense has tons of senior talent.
5. Penn State - Best Defense in the Big 10 , Morelli is the most disappointing QB in the confrence.
6. Illinois - Playmakers all over the offensive side of the ball , Defense continues to improve.
7. Indiana - Offense thats scores fast and is fast period.
8. Iowa - Veteran D thats needs O to play catch up, may have worst Passing game in the Big 10.
9. Michigan State - Hoyer looks like hes picked up where Stanton left.
10. Northwestern - Lost to Duke and got crushed by Ohio State, does any more need to be said.
11. Minnesota - Long year for Minny.

I woiuld switch OSU and Wisconsin. OSU has the best defense in the conference and is the King of the Hill until somebody knocks them off.

Second place is up for grabs with PSU, UM and Wisconsin.

Sniper
09-23-2007, 04:11 PM
I woiuld switch OSU and Wisconsin. OSU has the best defense in the conference and is the King of the Hill until somebody knocks them off.

Second place is up for grabs with PSU, UM and Wisconsin.

1) Ohio State
2) Wisconsin
3) Michigan
4) Michigan State
5) Penn State