PDA

View Full Version : All NFC West Team

49erfanatic
08-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Every other division has a thread, why the hell not give it a shot?

Offense:

QB- Marc Bulger
Backup: Matt Hasslebeck
RB- Steven Jackson/Frank Gore
FB-Mack Strong
Backup: Moran Norris
WR-Tori Holt
WR-Larry Fitzgerald
WR-Anquan Boldin
Backups: Dieon Branch and Darrell Jackson
TE- Vernon Davis
Randy McMichael
LT- Walter Jones
Backup: Jonas Jennings
LG- Larry Allen
Backup: Reggie Wells
C- Eric Heitman
Backup: Chris Spencer
RG- Justin Smiley
Backup: Richie Incognito
RT- Orlando Pace
Backup: Alex Barron

Defense: I'll go 4-3 since everybody but the niners run it
LDE- Leonard Little
Backup: Patrick Kerny
DT- Darnell Docket
Backup: La'Roi Glover
DT- Bryant Young
Backup: Adam Carriker
RDE- Bertrand Berry
Backup- Really don't think anyone else from the west deserves this spot
OLB- Julian Peterson
backup: Leroy Hill
MLB: Lofa Tatupu
Backup: Will Witherspoon
OLB: Karlos Dansby
Backup- Pisa Tinoisamoa
CB: Nate Clements
backup- Antrel Rolle
CB: Marcus Trufant
backup- Walt Harris
FS: Pretty much a crap shoot. No one really stands out
SS: Adrian Wilson
backup: Deon Grant/Michael Lewis

Go head and tear it up. Let loose.

nobodyinparticular
08-23-2007, 01:05 PM
I'd give Manny Lawson a shot as the backup RDE.

MasterShake
08-23-2007, 01:15 PM
I'd give Manny Lawson a shot as the backup RDE.

Lawson doesn't have the size to play 4-3 DE, he'd get mangled. He will be an excellent LB though.

ATLDirtyBirds
08-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Lawson doesn't have the size to play 4-3 DE, he'd get mangled. He will be an excellent LB though.

He's 6'6 250. He could play as a 4-3 DE.

49erfanatic
08-23-2007, 03:35 PM

He really can't. He's not strong enough. Pretty much the only way he beats OT's is with his speed. If a tackle locks on to Lawson he's done. He's not a 4-3 DE.

MasterShake
08-23-2007, 03:42 PM

He's more like 6'5" 245.

I've watched him play...at this point in his career he would not make a good 4-3 lineman.

nfrillman
08-23-2007, 04:25 PM
That is actually a pretty good list there. I won't lie, I was expecting the worst when I saw your name, but it seems pretty solid. You will probably catch some grief from Seahawks fans for switching Jones to RT instead of Pace, but those two are obviously the best OT's in the West, so either one of them could switch and be fine.

I also like the Alex Barron addition. I don't know how many Rams games you guys get to see, but Barron basically never gets beat for a sack. I remember Pace getting beat for them more than Barron, but that is probably just because I expect so much from Pace that when he allows a sack it really sticks out in my mind. But basically Barron hardly ever gets beat, he does false start like a mother though, I mean good god. A lot of my fellow Rams fans around here think he may have a hearing problem, because we don't know how someone can forget the snap count that many times.

As for back up RE, is Bryce Fisher still on the Seahawks, or James Hall from the Rams. Those two make some sense, but there isn't really anyone that sticks out.

Pretty solid team, if only we could field that team, put aside our anamosity towards each others teams, and rule the NFL............FOREVER!!!!! or at least until these guys get old.

Tubby
08-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Put special teams in there and the all-NFC west team becomes the best divisional team in the NFL.

XxXdragonXxX
08-23-2007, 08:31 PM
Walter Jones should, in fact, start over Pace. And I personally wouldn't put Gore and Jackson over Alexander based on 1 injury plagued season, but that's just me.

At backup RE....maybe Tapp or Fisher, whoever wins the starting job.

BrownsTown
08-23-2007, 08:32 PM
Walter Jones should, in fact, start over Pace. And I personally wouldn't put Gore and Jackson over Alexander based on 1 injury plagued season, but that's just me.

Jackson is clearly better than Alexander right now. Gore..iffy but I'd go Gore.

XxXdragonXxX
08-23-2007, 08:38 PM

Clearly based on what? That one injury plagued season? Because the last time I checked, the year before that injury plagued season he was the NFL MVP.

23trufant
08-23-2007, 08:46 PM
I like the list but even non-Seahawks fans can see Walter Jones > Orlando Pace

BrownsTown
08-23-2007, 08:51 PM
I like the list but even non-Seahawks fans can see Walter Jones > Orlando Pace

Absolutely, I mean the guy is the best LT in the game right now.

BrownsTown
08-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Clearly based on what? That one injury plagued season? Because the last time I checked, the year before that injury plagued season he was the NFL MVP.

Based on last season, which is relevant going into this season, and that Steven Jackson isn't only a great runner, but puts up decent reciver numbers as well.

HawkeyeFan
08-23-2007, 09:01 PM
Jones > Pace easily. Orlando has played like **** last year, and so far this year is playing bad, I'd take Jones over Pace anyday.

Oh and RDE James Hall as backup.

Paul
08-23-2007, 09:09 PM

You just said it "injury plagued season". That MVP season, was two years ago, so I don't see it's relevance in this argument. And in that time Jackson has pretty much surpassed Alexander IMO. He is younger, he has showed an ability to carry his team when needed, and has shown an ability to be extremely versatile. While Alexander has some wear and tear on his body now, 7 seasons nearly 2,000 carries is not a light load. So I would say yes, right now Jackson is the clear cut pick. Without a doubt.

nobodyinparticular
08-24-2007, 12:06 AM
Wow, I forgot James Hall. I might go with him at backup RE.

stl9erfan
08-24-2007, 12:06 AM

Gore led the NFC in rushing last year with a 5.4 YPC average. What part of that is iffy?

I agree with the Seahawks fan who suggested Walter Jones should play the left side and Pace the right-- I just see Jones as the better pass protector and that guy should play on the QB's blind side. That said, obviously both are great and deserve to start.

08-24-2007, 12:12 AM

i agree except for alexander starting over jackson and gore..alexander is one-dimensional while some1 like steven jackson is a dual threat who btw had 90 rec last year

49erfanatic
08-24-2007, 12:36 AM

I changed Jones and Pace...hopefully everybody is happy now

As far as Tapp and Fisher. They were the two I was thinking about sticking in there but I feel they're both better served as situational pass rushers right now. I like Tapp a lot and see upside from him. I think, though, that his breakout year won't come this year, but the next.

Let me explain to you my rational behind puting Jackson and Gore on the team. Alexander is great back, but I think his best years have passed him. Jackson and Gore on the other hand are still young and have their best years in front of them. Also Alexander is extremely one dimensional. All he does is run the ball. Everyone knows about Jackson's recieving abilities, but few talk about Frank Gore, who lead the 49ers in receptions last year with 60, racking up 485 yards. Furthermore, both Jackson and Gore were able to eclipse the 2,000 total yard mark last year, a feat that Alexander has not yet acheived (extremely suprising considering he ran for 1880 yards in 2005). I also thought that Alexander ran much softer last season than I have ever seen him run. If this were any other division in football Alexander would definately be on the list. I see no way that Alexander gains 2000 total yards this year, while I think that it is very likely that Jackson and Gore will achieve 2,000 again this year, barring injury, of course.

KCJ58
08-24-2007, 12:42 AM
MY TEAM

QB: Marc Bulger (STL)
RB: Steven Jackson (STL)
FB: Mack Strong (SEA)
WR: Torry Holt (STL)
WR: Larry Fitzgerald (ARI)
TE: Randy McMichael (STL)
OT: Walter Jones (SEA)
OG: Larry Allen (SF)
OC: Eric Heitman (SF)
OG: Chris Spencer (SEA)
OT: Orlando Pace (STL)

DE: Leonard Little (STL)
DT: Darnell Docket (ARI)
DT: Adam Carriker (STL)
DE: Patrick Kerny (SEA)
LB: Lofa Tatupu (SEA)
LB: Julian Peterson (SEA)
LB: Will Witherspoon (STL)
CB: Nate Clements (SF)
CB: Antrel Rolle (ARI)
S: Adrian Wilson (ARI)
S: Michael Lewis (SF)

K: Neil Rackers (ARI)
P: Scott Player (ARI)
RET: Nate Burleson (SEA)

XxXdragonXxX
08-24-2007, 12:48 AM
Shaun running soft probably had something to do with his foot being broke in week 1, and the break still showing on X-rays after the Seahawks were eliminated from the playoffs. He played healthy for about half of the first game.

I agree that Shaun probably won't gain 2000 total yards, because the Seahawks don't use him in the passing game like they used to. Coming out of college, and through his first few years he was considered one of the top receiving backs in the NFL, he had 145 receptions for 1089 yards and 6 TD's in a 3 year span, and then Holmgren cut the screen pass out of the playbook. However, I do think he could reach 1800 yards and 20+ TD's again.

Again, I'll reserve judgement on his current level until I see him playing healthy, and with something that somewhat resembles and NFL O-line in front of him.

sodar21
08-24-2007, 12:52 AM
Jones > Pace easily. Orlando has played like **** last year, and so far this year is playing bad, I'd take Jones over Pace anyday.

Oh and RDE James Hall as backup.

Pace was injured for half of last year and Jones played terribly.

yodabear
08-24-2007, 12:57 AM
I pretty much agree with all ur offensive positions. Alexander would prolly be on a all division list in any other division, but quite frankily, 3 of the top 5 RBs are in our division. And Jackson, Gore, and Alexander are 2,4,5, and its in that order, so Jackson and Gore get on this list.

XxXdragonXxX
08-24-2007, 12:58 AM
Pace was injured for half of last year and Jones played terribly.

You should read up on what Jones was playing through last year.

Or I'll jsut do it for you....

He played through a bad high ankle sprain, as well as knee and shoulder injuries that required offseason surgery.

Not to mention the other 4 OL were injured or switching pisitions all season. No continuity and 3 injuries can kill your season.

Tubby
08-24-2007, 01:03 AM
K: Neil Rackers (ARI)

Was that posted just to make me angry, because you succeeded.

To add something real to the conversation, Frank Gore and Steven Jackson are, at this point, clearly better than Alexander. Alexander will turn 30 in a week, which will mean his play will only decline. At best, he will be better than last season, but still far short of his MVP season.

In the 2005-06 season, the hawks had 3 pro bowl offensive lineman, Walter Jones (who is still on the roster, but is not the symbol of perfection he was before), Steve Hutchinson (who is on the vikings), and Robbie Tobeck (who retired).

On the other hand, Steven Jackson and Frank Gore are approaching their prime, with each of their teams (especially Gore's) becoming better the past season. In my opinion, Gore and Jackson are clearly better than Alexander.

yodabear
08-24-2007, 01:06 AM
Was that posted just to make me angry, because you succeeded.

To add something real to the conversation, Frank Gore and Steven Jackson are, at this point, clearly better than Alexander. Alexander will turn 30 in a week, which will mean his play will only decline. At best, he will be better than last season, but still far short of his MVP season.

In the 2005-06 season, the hawks had 3 pro bowl offensive lineman, Walter Jones (who is still on the roster, but is not the symbol of perfection he was before), Steve Hutchinson (who is on the vikings), and Robbie Tobeck (who retired).

On the other hand, Steven Jackson and Frank Gore are approaching their prime, with each of their teams (especially Gore's) becoming better the past season. In my opinion, Gore and Jackson are clearly better than Alexander.

Yeah, I agree, lets keep that asshole of a kicker's name out of this thread.

yodabear
08-24-2007, 01:07 AM
Plus, Wilins>Rackers>Nedney????>Lovell>Ferotte>Brown

Thats right, Brown is the 7th best kicker in the NFC West

nfrillman
08-25-2007, 01:35 AM
Umm, I think everyone has made quite a few mistakes. That roster barely even resembles the 2007 St. Louis Rams depth chart. I'm sure it was an honest mistake, so I will let this little mistake slide this one time. No need to thank me for helping you find your mistakes.

NGSeiler
08-25-2007, 01:55 AM
Solid list. I would put Isaac Bruce as a back-up over Darrell Jackson, but that conversation can be found in its entirety elsewhere so I'll simply leave it at that. Kind of surprised Trufant made the list as a starter, and Rolle isn't even starting on his own team (as of 8/22) so I don't think he deserves to be one of the four corners represented here. Tye Hill should take his spot IMO. At FS, ugh... it's kind of a bad sign when Terrence Holt and Brian Russell are contenders for a spot as a starter on a divisional team but they probably are here. With some of the position shifting that I've read about, I'm also not sure there's a guy who stands out above the rest.

I also like the Alex Barron addition. I don't know how many Rams games you guys get to see, but Barron basically never gets beat for a sack.

:confused: He allowed nearly nine sacks last year alone. It's my opinion that among Rams fans, Barron is rather overrated. He's generally given too much credit as a blocker than he should get.

Sniper
08-25-2007, 02:01 AM

Give Jackson Hutchinson and Jones to run behind and watch the yards and TDs pile up. Jackson is much better. To me, Alexander is one of the more overrated players in the league.

nfrillman
08-26-2007, 01:13 AM
:confused: He allowed nearly nine sacks last year alone. It's my opinion that among Rams fans, Barron is rather overrated. He's generally given too much credit as a blocker than he should get.

Really? That seems hard for me to believe, probably true because the Rams give up a ton of sacks so there are plenty to go around. I'm guessing I just don't notice it as much because when Pace messes up that's what I remember.