PDA

View Full Version : Bettis said he faked injury to keep Steelers from cutting him

Splat
08-23-2007, 03:03 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-steelers-bettisbook&prov=ap&type=lgns

"Man, did I do a nice job of acting," Bettis wrote in the book, "The Bus: My Life in and Out of a Helmet."

"The thing is, I wasn't faking that I had an injury. I was just faking that the injury happened on that short-yardage play. I had to fool the coaches and the team's medical department into thinking the injury had occurred on that play.

Otherwise, the Steelers would have had their reason to cut me and my salary."

Teams cannot cut an injured player during camp unless they reach an injury settlement with him.

"I effectively negated any funny business they were trying to pull on me," Bettis wrote in the book. "

I took the pressure off a head coach (Bill Cowher) who was probably trying to get rid of me."

Mr. Stiller
08-23-2007, 03:29 PM

"Man, did I do a nice job of acting," Bettis wrote in the book, "The Bus: My Life in and Out of a Helmet."

"The thing is, I wasn't faking that I had an injury. I was just faking that the injury happened on that short-yardage play. I had to fool the coaches and the team's medical department into thinking the injury had occurred on that play.

Teams cannot cut an injured player during camp unless they reach an injury settlement with him.

"I effectively negated any funny business they were trying to pull on me," Bettis wrote in the book. "

I took the pressure off a head coach (Bill Cowher) who was probably trying to get rid of me."

I read some of the quotes. I find a lot of it a joke. I can't see Cowher ever trying to get rid of the Bus. There were plenty of Guys that were Cowher guys that were kept too long.

Bettis is taking himself from media darling to not all he's cracked up to be. Because the price is worth it.

He was not happy when the team cut fullback Tim Lester before the 1999 season.

"I even told the Steelers I'd give part of my salary to keep him. But they had no intention of keeping Tim. It wasn't about money [they never offered him a contract]; it was about wanting to give the job to Jon Witman. Witman was a Penn State guy handpicked by another Penn State guy, Coach [Dick] Hoak. ... Without Lester, there's no question my rushing numbers wouldn't have been as good as they were."

Bettis had a secret appendectomy before the 1999 season.

"The funny thing is, the Steelers didn't want the media to know about the surgery. So, when I went to the hospital, someone told me to register under the name Tex Goldstein. That was my alias. Do I look like a Tex Goldstein?"

He called Denver linebacker Bill Romanowski "a coward" for grabbing his ankle and twisting it.

He said halfback Amos Zereoue "wasn't the hardest-working guy in practice" and he told him so. "Amos listened, but he didn't take it to heart."

On being booed at home for replacing Duce Staley near the goal line in 2004 and scoring a touchdown: "Steelers fans -- at my home stadium -- were booing me for scoring a touchdown. I was so angry that you could have grilled a hamburger on my forehead."

He felt ashamed when Notre Dame fired its first black head coach, Tyrone Willingham, after just three years.

The White House staff misspelled Cowher's name on the Steelers' visit to meet President Bush as "Cower" on the stage floor where the coach was to stand.

Can anyone honestly believe the Kordell one? Why would we set up a QB to fail. So we didn't have to pay him? We're not obligated to pay anyone more. I think he's telling some out there stories.

BigDawg819
08-23-2007, 03:58 PM

If this is true I want to be angered and outraged, but I can't since he was just sticking it to the team before the team could stick it to him. Face it, all these contracts these stars sign are backloaded for reasons and thats so they won't likely make most of the money. The last 2 years of Bettis' career were not exactly the best and he probably was coming close to being released. With that said, if this is all true then he just beat the front office at their own game.

Smooth Criminal
08-23-2007, 05:27 PM
whatever it takes to keep you job I guess.

Im sick of this damn book already. People are getting all up in what bettis has to say but I really don't give a damn now that he or most of the people he is writing about arnt steelers anymore.