PDA

View Full Version : Jake Long is overrated.

gstock05
08-23-2007, 11:16 PM
Okay, that got you guys to bight. I actually think he's a great player, but just LOVE this youtube highlight showing him, Mike Hart, and Chad Henne get destroyed by Vernon Gholston on one play.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Yot9ClPvZDg

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-23-2007, 11:20 PM
How dare you call The American Dragon overrated.

Vikes99ej
08-23-2007, 11:25 PM
It is the most known fact in all of Native America that one play makes Jake Long overrated.

Man_Of_Steel
08-23-2007, 11:25 PM
How dare you call The American Dragon overrated.

haha, wow. That show isnt very exciting considering hes a dragon.

08-23-2007, 11:56 PM
wow jake long overrated cuz of one play? hes better then joe thomas and levi brown in last years draft and is jus as good as dbrickshaw ferguson from the 06 draft. hes got size -> 6'7 and tremendous athletic ability for some1 that big..what more could u ask for seriously? cmon

P-L
08-24-2007, 09:14 AM
Did you guys read his post or did you just read the title and click on the link?

WarOnTheShore
08-24-2007, 11:21 AM
Is someone talking about the greatness that is Bryan Danielson??

wiscbadgerfootball
08-24-2007, 11:48 AM
I think he means North America lol

neko4
08-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Did you guys read his post or did you just read the title and click on the link?

yes i did, any so what if he got beat, hes still the best OT in the draft
Plus does Champ get beat? Does Peyton throw INT's? Does LT get hit in the backfield? Do the Patriots lose games? Every gets beat every now and then.

etk
08-24-2007, 12:10 PM
That was a nice disruptive move. Very hard to block. I know no one has called him overrated here, but I keep reading scouts and college writers say how underrated he is in helping Mike Hart run the ball.

Turtlepower
08-24-2007, 12:15 PM
That was a nice disruptive move. Very hard to block. I know no one has called him overrated here, but I keep reading scouts and college writers say how underrated he is in helping Mike Hart run the ball.

I believe that Jake Long is the best run blocking LT in the league, but Sam Baker is a better Pass Blocker. Jake Long is also a terrific pass blocker, but not as good as Baker. Overall, I would give the nod to Long with Baker not far behind. If I am in a team that is in a consistently passing offense, I would take Baker over Long, but if I was a team like Kansas City who needs a OT, I would be skeptical to take Baker just because he is not the elite run blocker that some are making him out to be. He is a great run blocker, but not the best in the draft... IMO.

HoopsDemon12
08-24-2007, 12:17 PM
IMO Jake long is an overated LEFT tackle.. i think he would be a right tackle in the pro's... he is a mauler and one of the stroongest players in college football... this is just showing how good vernon is really...

and i did see the title... wow that was a play

TACKLE
08-24-2007, 01:06 PM
On that play Jake Long was expecting a speed rush and Gholston came with an inside move and caught Long out of position. That's all that really happened.

TimD
08-24-2007, 01:08 PM
instead you should have named the thread "Vernon Gholston is a beast" not Jake Long is overrated

Vikes99ej
08-24-2007, 01:40 PM
That is an excellent power move by Gholston. Another reason why I love the man.

HoopsDemon12
08-24-2007, 01:52 PM
instead you should have named the thread "Vernon Gholston is a beast" not Jake Long is overrated

but jake long is overrated brings more posters because we all wanted to tell him why he wasnt... cause most people like proving someone else wrong and letting them know they are right

'backer
08-24-2007, 04:58 PM
Vernon Gholston is a beast. That combination of quickness and power is disgusting.

TACKLE
08-24-2007, 07:44 PM
Vernon Gholston is a beast. That combination of quickness and power is disgusting.

Do you what's also digusting? How much steroids he puts in his body.

http://menofthescarletandgray.com/wp-content/uploads/gholston.jpg

Sniper
08-31-2007, 12:38 PM

Nah I think he's legit...The guy's a beast. Even though I don't like OSU I can admit it. Creative title, but nice to see you don't actually think Long is overrated.

DoWnThEfiElD
08-31-2007, 01:33 PM
Ya i mean Gholston had like what one solo tackle that game, total domination....

gstock05
08-31-2007, 04:45 PM
Nah I think he's legit...The guy's a beast. Even though I don't like OSU I can admit it. Creative title, but nice to see you don't actually think Long is overrated.

I'm an OSU fan, but I'm not a blind homer. I like a lot of Michigan players. I just dont think the defense has the depth and overall talent to carry Michigan.

Ya i mean Gholston had like what one solo tackle that game, total domination.... Not sure what game you were watching, but Gholston had more than 1 tackle and I believe had at least one sack. He was probably our best defensive player that game.

gstock05
08-31-2007, 04:48 PM

I can't say whether he does or doesnt do roids, but I dont think he does. He looked like this in highschool too. He's just a genetic Freak I believe... could be wrong however.

But most people assume anybody who is huge and has extremely low body fat (therefore veins popping) does roids.

How many MLB players who did roids (cough cough.. barry bonds... mark McGuire, Pudge Rodriguez) looked like this?

His roid accusations are just a misconception that low body fat = roids. Any 300 pound offensive lineman who cut weight and went down to 250-260 pounds with 5% bodyfat would look the same.

wiscbadgerfootball
08-31-2007, 04:55 PM
It's not too much to say he could have been taking steroids in high school but obviously I'm not one to say whether he did or didn't considering at this point it is all speculation. He is a monster of a player though.

Green Bay Scat
08-31-2007, 05:45 PM
that actually quite normal. Most LT i know when are facing a good speed DE, will set out insted of back to make up for the speed, but gholston planned it of course. Its a classic move, Bruce Davis does it very well, we have a LT that use to go against him, says his speed off the corner is crazy

P-L
08-31-2007, 06:00 PM
Not sure what game you were watching, but Gholston had more than 1 tackle and I believe had at least one sack. He was probably our best defensive player that game.

DoWn was right, Gholston has 1 solo tackle, 3 assisted tackles, and 0 sacks.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2006&org=518&player=50

gstock05
09-01-2007, 02:46 AM
DoWn was right, Gholston has 1 solo tackle, 3 assisted tackles, and 0 sacks.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2006&org=518&player=50

Fair enough. Although he was quite disruptive in the game. Not saying the stats arent true, but they dont indicate the level of play he had against a manchild like jake long.

LonghornsLegend
09-01-2007, 03:39 AM
Fair enough. Although he was quite disruptive in the game. Not saying the stats arent true, but they dont indicate the level of play he had against a manchild like jake long.

so now the stats dont indicate the level of play he had, but before he was you guys best defensive player that game?

DoWnThEfiElD
09-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Dude Henne still threw for a lot of yards and Hart ran for a lot, nobody on either defense really played that well. Gholston far from dominated anyone in that game.

JoeMontainya
09-02-2007, 01:06 PM
On that play Jake Long was expecting a speed rush and Gholston came with an inside move and caught Long out of position. That's all that really happened.

Wow you know what Jake Long is thinking? Or is that just a bad attempt at justifying a horrible attempt to block an actual NFL caliber player as apposed to other DE's he has dominated?

What will happen when he goes pro and gets beat again because he was exspecting something else? Will that get excused also? Joe Thomas doesnt give up sacks, and Jake Long does, so to say he is betetr than Thomas is wild. The LT needs to protect his QB more than he needs to maul for his RB. RT's are who need to dominate the run game seeing how the majority of NFL carries go to the right. Long will be a RT in the NFL because like previously mentioned, he isnt the greatest at pass blocking.

Due to there being a shortage of LT's in the NFL, he will probably play there.

Also people need to quit pimping Dbrick because he gave up 10 sacks as a rookie against DE's that arent known for sacks. You have to earn things at the NFL level and Brick wasnt even in the top 5 rookie OT's last year.

Sniper
09-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Wow you know what Jake Long is thinking? Or is that just a bad attempt at justifying a horrible attempt to block an actual NFL caliber player as apposed to other DE's he has dominated?

What will happen when he goes pro and gets beat again because he was exspecting something else? Will that get excused also? Joe Thomas doesnt give up sacks, and Jake Long does, so to say he is betetr than Thomas is wild. The LT needs to protect his QB more than he needs to maul for his RB. RT's are who need to dominate the run game seeing how the majority of NFL carries go to the right. Long will be a RT in the NFL because like previously mentioned, he isnt the greatest at pass blocking.

Also people need to quit pimping Dbrick because he gave up 10 sacks as a rookie against DE's that arent known for sacks. You have to earn things at the NFL level and Brick wasnt even in the top 5 rookie OT's last year.

Dude seriously. We know you hate Michigan. But I guess all those voters are ******** then because they voted Long Lineman of the Year ahead of Thomas. But you know, your knowledge is clearly better than theirs right?

JoeMontainya
09-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Dude seriously. We know you hate Michigan. But I guess all those voters are ******** then because they voted Long Lineman of the Year ahead of Thomas. But you know, your knowledge is clearly better than theirs right?

Are you honestly gonna tell me Paul Poz is better than Hawk because the 5 VOTERS that vote for the award are based in Pennsilvania and voted Poz despite the fact all of his stats were less than Hawks and he even played in 99 more deffensive plays?

What does winning an award have to do with anything? Marcus McNeal is a better overall LT than Brick, but who got drafted first?

Again, what does awards/voters have to do with anything?

This just in.....Poz is better than Hawk because Sniper says people voted him as the Butkus winner over Hawk. I bet the Packers are kicking themselves over this one...

PS Sniper, Hail to the Victors

Sniper
09-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Are you honestly gonna tell me Paul Poz is better than Hawk because the 5 VOTERS that vote for the award are based in Pennsilvania and voted Poz despite the fact all of his stats were less than Hawks and he even played in 99 more deffensive plays?

What does winning an award have to do with anything? Marcus McNeal is a better overall LT than Brick, but who got drafted first?

Again, what does awards/voters have to do with anything?

This just in.....Poz is better than Hawk because Sniper says people voted him as the Butkus winner over Hawk. I bet the Packers are kicking themselves over this one...

PS Sniper, Hail to the Victors

Considering Long gave up one sack last year, I find it hard for you to say "Joe Thomas doesn't give up sacks, but Jake Long does" making it sound like Long gets beat every play. Like it or not, Jake Long is the best lineman in the conference, and also was last year.

BTW, if the 5 voters are based in PA, what's Joe Thomas' excuse then?

And when did awards and draft picks correlate? Your golden boy Troy won a Heisman. That should correlate to a #1 shouldn't it? Your argument holds absolutely zero ******* weight, as usual. Poz could end up being better than Hawk, unless your amazing knowledge can once again come through and predict the future and tell me Hawk will be a better backer.

PS JoeMontainya, cool you threw in a barb at Michigan's loss to ASU. Nothing I haven't heard. Come up with something creative. And to be honest, it's downright ******* pathetic that you feel the need to post some douchebaggish **** in your sig like that. Calm your raging hardon for me big guy, I don't swing that way.

draftguru151
09-02-2007, 05:21 PM

Perhaps he actually knows OL technique and can tell by the way Long kick stepped which type of rush he was expecting. That's hardly an excuse, he's just saying what the mistake was. If you think Thomas doesn't make the same mistakes watch the Browns first preseason game, or watch Wisconsin vs Auburn Thomas junior year when Stanley McClover did the same thing to him. The complete lack of knowledge in that post about OL is amazing.

P-L
09-02-2007, 09:54 PM
The complete lack of knowledge in that post about OL is amazing.

I try hard to ignore that guy's posts. He is so biased against Michigan that he just spouts off anything that pops into his head to make the team look bad. I'd listen to weight loss tips from a fat person before I listened to anything this clown has to say about the University of Michigan.

wiscbadgerfootball
09-02-2007, 09:56 PM
I'm a huge Joe Thomas fan, but to say that he doesn't make mistakes also is ridiculous, I can't honestly tell you which player is better [jake or joe] because I haven't seen Jake Long play much.

JETS5128
09-02-2007, 10:53 PM

First of all, who the hell was "pimping" D'brick?. Second of all, 2 of the top 5 sack leaders in the NFL (Schobel and JT) played in the same division as D'brick, One of them won DPOY. Also, the 3 other teams in D'bricks division had the 3rd, 5th and 9th most sacks in the league. D'brick obviously didn't have a great year, but to say that he was playing against bad competition is asinine and wrong.

CARDIAC CAT 7
09-02-2007, 11:00 PM
Joe Thomas has better fundamentals , pass pro , quickness than Jake Long. Jake Long is bigger and is a straight brute but brutes can be found any round of the draft IMO, I still think hes a first rounder but not in the same class as Joe.