PDA

View Full Version : Pre-season Game 3

JK17
08-25-2007, 05:38 PM
The good thing is, that I'm in college now, I moved in wendesday.

The bad news is, not only can I not get the game tonight, but I want to go out and meet people. So I won't be watching the game, mainly becuase its just preseason.

So I need someone else to let me know what happened and how everyone looked, good and bad. Please :)

Average OT LB
08-25-2007, 05:54 PM
The good thing is, that I'm in college now, I moved in wendesday.

The bad news is, not only can I not get the game tonight, but I want to go out and meet people. So I won't be watching the game, mainly becuase its just preseason.

So I need someone else to let me know what happened and how everyone looked, good and bad. Please :)

Im all over it.. meet people eh? i wonder how..

Average OT LB
08-25-2007, 10:45 PM
First Half

Offense – Dominating Time of Possession

~Quarterbacks – Rivers showing high level of comfort with offense… Looking for VJ often. Showing great touch and accuracy in several passes. Still relying heavily on talent of WR as evidenced by the would-be interception (bad call). Very good decision making. Low ball speed contributing to receivers getting hit hard. 7 plays of 20 yards including 33 yard TD to an uncovered VJ. Seemingly more comfortable when behind in scoreboard.

~Skill Players – Turner running hard as usual. Bad fumble. Not productive. Injured ankle, carted off sidelines, not considered serious. Legendu not impressive as a receiver. 2 drops. Floyd good body control, good catch in tight coverage. Gates making easy catches for good yards. Sproles showing very high elusiveness on touchdown run. Very explosive on receptions. Osgood made an outstanding catch and got blew up by Wilson but didn’t drop it. Neal Getting many looks and catches, hurdling 2 defenders then fumbling on one play, one drop.

~Line – McNeil continues to struggle in pass protection as well as dominate in running game. No standouts: No sacks allowed in first half, rivers quick release.

Defense – Not Blitzing

~Backs – Jammer not impressing, bad coverage good FF. Florence showing bad awareness at the nickel. Ditched his player in pursuit of Leinart, left Jammer to cover 2 players. Jammer chose wrong no safety help resulting in 80-yard touchdown. Cromartie very bad missed tackle leading to very long kick return. Looked silly as he was beat on 48 yard jump ball (Play reviewed ruled no-catch). Not a significant part of defense. Hart playing appalling pass defense, allowing 2 or 3 long passes. Not involved in run defense. Weddle McCree no involvement in first half.

~LB Core – It appears as though Dobbins does not play in passing situations. Good special teams play. Very good penetration in run plays. Very good tackle on Fitzgerald. Was first to screen receiver, missed tackle, play lead to a fumble 1 yard later (Jammer). Cooper playing well in passing situations. LB patrolling middle, having ball thrown over their head, Cardinals not running. Brandon Siler absolutely destroyed kick returner, very big hit.

~Line – contributed to 4 rushing yards in first quarter. Getting no pass rush whatsoever. Arizona scarcely running, no chance to shine on the line. With ball on one, Cards O-line dominated resulting in Leinart run for 4 yards. Cesaire only player productive on D-line.

Special Teams – Coaching – Etc.
Very conservative strategy but working at a high level. Continuing to work within 5 yards from the line of scrimmage. Highly efficient on third downs.
-Kaeding three kicks into end zone, worked his way back up field to bring down ball carrier. Effortless Field goal.
-Scifres punt resulting in ball on ARI 1-yard line.

Average OT LB
08-25-2007, 11:48 PM
After watching, a few things have become very evident. one, is that cromartie is not yet capable of starting. Another is that Weddle should be given the starting job. I dont think eric is a gifted player but Hart was very disappointing today and really played himself out of the job. Weddle at the very least, makes a lot of tackles and seems smarter than Hart. I dont think hes gonna get alot of picks or run stride for stride with a randy moss, or win any jump balls whatsoever. But hes not bad. hes got good vision and is quick to make a decision- whether it be correct or not. Either way, what happened today is really inexcusable on harts part. He got beat as both the FS and the SS and doesnt have chemistry with Jammer. Weddle appears to be well liked and has a high motor. Theres alot to like there, and after today its a matter of time.

JK17
08-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Alright, sorry I haven't been very active lately college is keeping me busy haha...

Anyway for the game, it looks like the offense played well, but the defense not as much...hopefully that turns around by the time the season starts...

interesting AOTLB wants Weddle starting now...

San Diego Chicken
08-27-2007, 02:53 PM
I loved VJ in Saturday's game. Always seemed to be running free. Made nice adjustments on the ball. The only thing that was holding him back was his football IQ, but it seems that he looks more comfortable and has improved in that department.

San Diego Chicken
08-27-2007, 05:58 PM
Sidenote: How f&#%ing insane has Antonio Gates looked to you guys? He looks unbelievable physically, and is making some jaw dropping athletic plays out there. He could have a huge season. Norv looks like he wants to get Gates the ball any way possible.

sdpads24
08-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Sidenote: How f&#%ing insane has Antonio Gates looked to you guys? He looks unbelievable physically, and is making some jaw dropping athletic plays out there. He could have a huge season. Norv looks like he wants to get Gates the ball any way possible.

Besides LT, Gates is probably one of the more valuable players to the Chargers. There isn't a single guy out there that can cover him one-on-one, and I really like the way Rivers trusts Gates enough to just through the ball up and let Gates jump for it. More times than not he comes down with it

Average OT LB
08-28-2007, 04:52 PM
It makes me wonder if gates's final numbers are gonna take an even bigger hit. He wasnt targeted in the red zone and no longer seems to be River's favorite target. But the oddd thing is, hes stil the go-to-guy...

JK17
08-28-2007, 09:35 PM
It makes me wonder if gates's final numbers are gonna take an even bigger hit. He wasnt targeted in the red zone and no longer seems to be River's favorite target. But the oddd thing is, hes stil the go-to-guy...

As long as the job's getting done, I don't care who the ball goes too....Rivers' is smart enough to work it to the open receiver, whether its Gates, Parker, VJ, Davis, etc. Obviously Gates has a better chacne to come down with it, but I trust the decision making in the redzone by Rivers. Besides, I feel like we'll be doing a lot more running hten passing down there anyway...

Average OT LB
08-28-2007, 10:11 PM
As long as the job's getting done, I don't care who the ball goes too....Rivers' is smart enough to work it to the open receiver, whether its Gates, Parker, VJ, Davis, etc. Obviously Gates has a better chacne to come down with it, but I trust the decision making in the redzone by Rivers. Besides, I feel like we'll be doing a lot more running hten passing down there anyway...

you're right who gets the numbers doesnt matter as long as somebody does.. but do you really think that norv will run as much as Marty (ball)