PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Annual Pre-season Power Rankings: #30

nobodyinparticular
08-26-2007, 02:13 AM
Alrighty, we are rolling. Oakland ended up winning a close poll to start, just edging out Cleveland who was awarded the runner-up spot and the #31 ranking.

Suggestions welcome for future and present poll options.

32. Oakland Raiders
31. Cleveland Browns

neko4
08-26-2007, 02:19 AM
Miami
QB: Green didnt seem to be what he used to be and Beck isnt ready yet.
RB: Brown is very good but no o-line
WR/TE: Chambers is fairly good, but a bad QB, with a bad OL means no sucess for the rest of this. The TE's may benefit if Beck becomes the starter (A TE is a rookie QB's best friend) But regardless the WR core is lacking.
OL: I think I have already expressed my thoughts here.

On defense they have an excellent line, good LB's and Thomas, but the secondary is lacking .

yodabear
08-26-2007, 03:16 AM
I told u my rankings in the other thread, and I am sticking by them. Minnesota is the next team for me, followed closely by the Lions. BTW, I think we should continue this "winner" get 30, then runner up gets 29, and so on and so forth. Yodachu likes it.

WMD
08-26-2007, 03:27 AM
I think the Raiders defense is enough to bring them up from the bottom of the league.. I voted for Cleveland in that poll.. Voted for Kansas City in this one.

Crazy_Chris
08-26-2007, 03:53 AM
I went With Kansas City

bearfan
08-26-2007, 07:26 AM
I went with Miami on this. Atlanta just is missing Vick, a lot of teams have operated w/o a star QB. KC has named Huard the starter, and he proved a lot last year, so they wont get 30 either. But Miami has Oline issues up the wazoo, and Ronnie Brown needs to get it going this year otherwise the team will sink even more

princefielder28
08-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Give it to the Chiefs

21ST
08-26-2007, 09:25 AM
I voted for the dolphins

it looks like this one is going to be close

TitanHope
08-26-2007, 12:04 PM
I had to go with Kansas City. I'm looking for them to go 1-5 in their division, 1-3 in their AFC South games, and 2-2 in their NFC North Games. At first glance, they lose a minimum of 10 games. Plus, they play away at Jets and home vs Cincinati. I'm guessing 4-12/5-11 for the Chiefs, unless their O-Line steps it up.

Eaglez.Fan
08-26-2007, 12:10 PM
Tennessee-

QB- Unproven passer, and he might suffer from the soph slump
RB- Lendale White?
WR's- Who?
O-Line- Below Average

D-Line- Below Average
LB's- Pretty bad other than Keith
Secondary- With LaMont Thompson starting will continue to be bad.

BuckNaked
08-26-2007, 12:10 PM
I voted Houston.

KCJ58
08-26-2007, 12:13 PM
I voted Houston.

so did i....

Addict
08-26-2007, 12:13 PM
who plays WR for the titans?

BuckNaked
08-26-2007, 12:14 PM

Brandon Jones and some other shmucks. Not sure when Givens will be healthy.

KILLERSANTA
08-26-2007, 12:15 PM

what's on second

Eaglez.Fan
08-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Brandon Jones and some other shmucks. Not sure when Givens will be healthy.

Roydell Williams, Courntey Roby, and Brandon Jones are the only I know. Givens I'm pretty sure is hurt. They also have Eric Moulds but he's turning 72 in November.

edit- And I'm pretty sure they have somewere in the top 5 in strength of schedule.

Addict
08-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Roydell Williams, Courntey Roby, and Brandon Jones are the only I know. Givens I'm pretty sure is hurt. They also have Eric Moulds but he's turning 72 in November.

Eric Moulds

http://www.tournamentofroses.com/photogallery/GMs/images/gm1944.jpg
he has Michael Jackson's disease, before you ask.

TitanHope
08-26-2007, 12:30 PM

Brandon Jones, Courtney Roby, Roydell Williams, Eric Moulds, Paul Williams(R), Chris Davis(R), and David Givens(PUP) will likely be the Titans WR's who make the cut. We may carry a 7th WR though, but thats not known yet. Givens will be evaluated around Week 6, and if he's not ready to play, he will be placed on IR.

Also, Eaglez.Fan, the Titans offensive line is pretty good, which is why Travis Henry ran for 1200 yrds, and Vince Young's manueverability makes up for any weaknesses that we would have in pass protection, which is also pretty good. And you left out David Thornton, our other good OLB, in your LB evaluation. Other than that, I don't feel the need to correct you on anything, besides that we were Top 5 in SOS last year too.

Eaglez.Fan
08-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Vince Young is not a very good passer. If you disagree your a huge homer. If teams shut him down with the running, which they could he won't be as good untill he matures as a passing QB. The soph slump also usually happens when the rookie player has a good 1st year and thinks he'll be fine the next. Untill he isn't. I'm not saying it'll happen for sure but if there will be one soph slump it'll be Young. And you didn't say anything about the RB's which Young will need to suceed. The WR's aren't very good and even if they have talent they have very little experience.

The Dynasty
08-26-2007, 12:58 PM
I went with the texans mainly becuase of that OL. If they cant protect Matt then they will lose.

TitanHope
08-26-2007, 01:05 PM
I never once disagreed with you in my post about Vince Young's passing abilities or anything else you discussed in your previouse post. I just corrected you on your underestimation of our offensive line and that you left out our other good LB. Thats all. I am a big Titans fan and I do disagree with you that we'll be the 3rd worst team in the NFL, but I am logical about it.

If you would like to know about my opinion of our RB's, then I will tell you. I think LenDale will be our starter, but he does have his faults. If he improves on his work eithic, then he will be the back that we need to succeed in our running game. Chris Brown, the likely #2, is our "home-run threat" and a proven 1,000 yard rusher. His main fault is that he is injury prone. Chris Henry needs more time to critique his skills, especially on how to find the hole and improving his awareness, but he has the potential to be a great player. There's a lot of potential in this group, but there are question marks as well. We'll see how things unfold.

zoinks
08-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Sad to say, my vote goes to the Chiefs. Granted, they've been playing without LJ....but that whole team has just looked awful this preseason. I'm afraid they're in for a long year.

Incidentally....anyone who votes Tennessee hasn't seen them this preseason. That defense has been near-dominant in all three preseason games, and making plays all over the field. I don't put much stock in preseason results or statistics, but I do think you can get a good feel for the character and identity of a team.....and that defense is going to be something. Unless Vince Young flops badly in his second season...which is highly unlikely.....the Titans could find themselves very much in the mix for a postseason berth.

awfullyquiet
08-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Vince Young is not a very good passer. If you disagree your a huge homer. If teams shut him down with the running, which they could he won't be as good untill he matures as a passing QB.

Not a chance.
That's homerish in itself.
Why? Because teams still can't shut down his running and as long as he is a dual threat escapable quarterback, he can get by with sub-standard throwing. Vick has done it for years, YEARS against Carolina, TB, and NO (and the former two have had better defenses than most over the past six years)... and people still get rushed on by him. Not saying that VY is the specimen that Vick is (or was), but he does have Norm Chow, and that makes him 8 times better.

I hate on minnesota though, because it's easy. Troy Williamson, Tavarias Jackson. Not a threatening combination. A passrushing DE who didn't have a sack last year. oh, and Brad Childress (unless he breaks his mold of conservative WCO)...

nobodyinparticular
08-26-2007, 11:42 PM
Looking like we have Kansas City and Atlanta now. I'll probably give it til morning though.

PalmerToCJ
08-26-2007, 11:51 PM
I went with Atlanta. Harrington plus Dunn coming off surgery and Norwood uncertain as being able to handle the full load. They could be in for a rough year offensively. Plus the annoyance of the Vick case. Wasn't an easy vote though.

Shiver
08-27-2007, 01:19 AM
To anyone who thinks the Texans will have a top-10 pick: Matt Schaub is the real deal. I'm convinced and I wish it weren't true. Not to mention Ahman Green, while past his prime, cannot possibly be worse than what they had last year. That by default makes the Texans better than they were last year and I haven't even mentioned that Mario Williams and Demeco Ryans should improve with another year under their belts.

I am going to keep beating that drum, unfortunately I doubt people will listen to me and Houston will somehow manage to be worse this year than they were last.

Jughead10
08-27-2007, 07:51 AM
My vote is for Minny. I'm not on the Tavaris Jackson bus at all. The defense played way over their head last year when it came to stopping the run. They will not be close to that this year. They just lack top talent all around. I think Peterson is going to be a stud, but unless he has a rookie year that is just absolutely unbelievable, this team is going to be very very bad.

scottyboy
08-27-2007, 07:53 AM
My vote is for Minny. I'm not on the Tavaris Jackson bus at all. The defense played way over their head last year when it came to stopping the run. They will not be close to that this year. They just lack top talent all around. I think Peterson is going to be a stud, but unless he has a rookie year that is just absolutely unbelievable, this team is going to be very very bad.

plus they gave Visanthe Shiancoe a big deal, what were they thinking?

Smooth Criminal
08-27-2007, 03:50 PM
I think Im gonna go with Kansas City here. The offense looks very bad this year and the defense is always nothing better than average. Even Johnson won't be able to run behind the lack of line in KC.

BuckNaked
08-27-2007, 03:52 PM
plus they gave Visanthe Shiancoe a big deal, what were they thinking?

Maybe marketing? He has a cool name.

BrownsTown
08-27-2007, 03:59 PM
did i miss something or do people really think KC is going to have the #3 pick next year?

No offensive line + no passing game + decent at best defense. There's only so much LJ can do.

PoopSandwich
08-27-2007, 04:05 PM
Cleveland won't be that bad but whatever.

I voted for Atlanta, I think them or Kansas City should be #30.

Xiomera
08-27-2007, 04:28 PM
I say Kansas City.

comahan
08-27-2007, 04:32 PM
i don't buy that their team was 6 wins better last year in the toughest division in football. they may have gotten worse, but i would be shocked if they won fewer than 6 games, and 6-10 does NOT net a team the 3rd overall pick. miami's worse. houston at this point is worse. tennessee is FAR worse. minnesota is worse.

Lies. Lies lies lies.

... Lies.

bored of education
08-27-2007, 04:37 PM
njx tell'em how it really is!!!

KC's defense is better than decent at best. Ranked 15th last year overall, got Donnie Edwards, Napoleon Harris, Tank Tyler, Claude McBride. Won't be having Ryan Sims or Kawika Mitchell. Another year for Derrick Johnson, Jarrad Page, Bernard Pollard.

Upgraded a D-Line that didn't exist.
Still have elder CB's, but Ty Law is hampered by an injury and still owns Peyton Manning.
Kawika Mitchell or Napoleon Harris? yeah Napoleon for sure.

They have glarring weaknesses offensively ahem cough cough QB and O-Line ahem cough cough, but the D-fense is better than decent at best and I don't really care what they did or didn't do preason wise.

BuckNaked
08-27-2007, 04:39 PM

KC's defense is better than decent at best. Ranked 15th last year overall, got Donnie Edwards, Napoleon Harris, Tank Tyler, Claude McBride. Won't be having Ryan Sims or Kawika Mitchell. Another year for Derrick Johnson, Jarrad Page, Bernard Pollard.

Still have elder CB's, but Ty Law is hampered by an injury and still owns Peyton Manning.

They have glarring weaknesses offensively ahem cough cough QB and O-Line ahem cough cough, but the D-fense is better than decent at best and I don't really care what they did or didn't do preason wise.

Yeah, Napolean's not that great. Don't get me wrong he's good, but not the huge improvement you seem to make him out to be.

nobodyinparticular
08-27-2007, 07:12 PM

Bull crap. Napoleon Harris is nothing special at all.

neko4
08-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Bull crap. Napoleon Harris is nothing special at all.

i dont think that KC will be as bad as people say but Harris is complete doo-doo.
He started 3 games in '05 out of a possible 15. In '06 he started 14 and got 59 tackles, though he did have 3 picks. But he could regain his '03 form when he had 100 tackles. he has to stay on the field first

neko4
08-28-2007, 08:53 AM
let me repeat: you're bloody out of your mind if you think KC has a worse team on paper than tennessee. and that's saying nothing about a few of the other teams in this or not in this poll.

I would never think that Tennesse is better than KC, the only way that they(TEN) might get more wins is because theyre in an easier division

bored of education
08-28-2007, 09:42 AM
As njx said, and I have illustrated the Chiefs cannot possibly be worse off than some teams on the list. Damon Huard as a starter gives them an average QB who will not make alot of mistakes. A diminished line will allow for the pounding of all three running backs that will be utilized behind the line of scrimmage. But one of those running backs is Larry Johnson, the others are whoever the hell you want them to be. LJ will have a few less carries than last year, about 60-100 less which will allow him to be more 'fresh'. The receiving 'corps' is weak but it has improved a bit. Tony G, Bowe, Kennison and someone else will suffice for a run first, second, and third orientated offense. The offense will slide a bit. But the improvements on defense are there.

BPhilb
08-28-2007, 10:35 AM
I don't get where LJ is supposedly wore down. He only played one year in college and 1 1/2 in the pro's. He's "fresher" than Adrian Peterson from a carries perspective. If you need proof look at his second half number compared to his first half. The guy got stronger as the year went on. Everyone keeps talking about the carries last year, but this is something that has happened very few times in the NFL and LJ's circumstance was a lot different. The guy will still go for over 1,500 yards barring a freak injury and will be regarded as a top flight back for a couple of more years.

duckseason
08-28-2007, 10:49 AM
I expect the Chiefs to be wise and use Holmes a bit more this year. Lighten up the load for LJ. This, combined with the deteriorating offensive line, will likely result in diminished statistical production. Which will in turn create the perception among the average fan that LJ is no longer an elite back. I think he'll be as good as ever, but by the end of the year he won't be regarded as such by the masses.

BPhilb
08-28-2007, 11:22 AM
I expect the Chiefs to be wise and use Holmes a bit more this year. Lighten up the load for LJ. This, combined with the deteriorating offensive line, will likely result in diminished statistical production. Which will in turn create the perception among the average fan that LJ is no longer an elite back. I think he'll be as good as ever, but by the end of the year he won't be regarded as such by the masses.

Nicely put.

Shiver
08-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Joey Harrington looked more like the guy who played at Oregon last night rather than the guy who took all the blame for Detroit's woes. By the way, if Harrington was so bad, why haven't Jeff Garcia or Jon Kitna done anything with the Lions? Who knows, maybe Harrington might actually do well. It was the Bengals, sure, but some times it takes a new environment to bring out a good QB. See: Steve Young when he went from Tampa Bay to San Francisco, Trent Green when he went to Kansas City, Jake Plummer when he left Arizona for Denver. Maybe Yodachu is right and Atlanta will be closer to what they were last year, i.e around .500, than picking in the top-5.

PoopSandwich
08-28-2007, 03:37 PM
I never gave up on Harrington either, same with Carr, their situations were both terrible.

Hopefully Harrington will make that team forget about Vick.

Shiver
08-28-2007, 03:46 PM
I would feel a lot better if Roddy White could learn how to catch.. ugh

nobodyinparticular
08-28-2007, 04:24 PM
and just in case it needed clarification, that last bit about tennessee was not intended to single out you and NIP as big titans supporters (even though i know they're NIP's real favorite team). but more to express frustration at how ridiculous it is that the two worst teams in the poll have the fewest vote totals.

I just threw up in my mouth. Haha

nobodyinparticular
08-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Falcons, eh? Alrighty, this is closed. Falcons #30 Kansas City Chiefs #29.

nobodyinparticular
08-28-2007, 11:17 PM
<-- comments were persuasive.

Don't get too full of yourself. Just watch as the Broncos drop to a top 15 pick themselves. ;)

nobodyinparticular
08-29-2007, 12:28 PM
how's russell looking in training camp? :eek:

...jerk...

=P

bored of education
08-29-2007, 12:48 PM
I stil cant buy that KC will be one of the 3-4 worst teams. But ok.