PDA

View Full Version : Despite Quinn's strong start, rookie won't be Browns QB in opener

Eaglez.Fan
08-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Despite Quinn's strong start, rookie won't be Browns QB in opener (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/news/story?id=2991944&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines)

It seems so far like Brady gives them the best way to win now and in the future.

Discuss....

neko4
08-26-2007, 12:55 PM
I think they should sit him this year. Dont rush him out there and let him develop. You dont want to rush him into a possibly bad situation

Addict
08-26-2007, 12:56 PM
A starting QB in the NFL should win games for his team. So far, Quinn has shown he does. He's the best performing qb in a three horse race, earned the starting role and should therefore be starting.

If it's not succesfull they could still bench him and put frye in.

Freddy G
08-26-2007, 01:04 PM
We already tried this with Tim Couch...didn't work.

Chuck is going to get the start and Quinn will hold the clipboard, especially since our schedule starts out tuff. If Frye really blows i could see Quinn getting in there early, but if all goes to plan Quinn shouldn't be starting until after the bye week.

Hopefully Frye tears it up this year giving us some trade bait, but i am not going to hold my breath.

someone447
08-26-2007, 01:59 PM
A starting QB in the NFL should win games for his team. So far, Quinn has shown he does. He's the best performing qb in a three horse race, earned the starting role and should therefore be starting.

If it's not succesfull they could still bench him and put frye in.

NONONONONONONO, you can never bench a rookie QB after handing him the starting job, its the worst thing you could do.

princefielder28
08-26-2007, 02:04 PM
Put brady Quinn in after the bye week like Denver did with Cutler.

RyanLeaf#1
08-26-2007, 02:06 PM
I would put Quinn in Week 2 no matter what.

soybean
08-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Put brady Quinn in after the bye week like Denver did with Cutler.

they still didn't make the playoffs though. I think he should sit this year, so far it has proved to be effective with people sitting on the bench at least 1 year. schaub, rodgers, palmer, cassel? sorgi?

whereas if he just started right away he'll have a lot of weight on his shoulders. Rarely does it work too, unless you get drafted into a stacked steelers team.

however, crennel will be probably be fired after this year so he should do what he can to win now i guess.

Philliez01
08-26-2007, 02:11 PM
I would say start Frye or Anderson until their bye week, whenever that is, and then let him start.

Wasn't Couch different though? He was in a gimmicky offense in College and in the NFL had no weapons (at least Quinn has Winslow and Braylon Edwards) with a horrible OL. I think it's a bit different with Brady Quinn.

In a bit of an irrelevant portion of this post, after seeing Quinn at ND for those years, doesn't it look odd seeing him in an NFL uni?

Philliez01
08-26-2007, 02:13 PM
schaub, rodgers, palmer, cassel? sorgi?

Considering Cassell is behind Tom Brady, Jim Sorgi behind Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers behind Brett Favre; there is a bit of a difference here. ;) Plus Schaub and Rodgers haven't even had success yet so really it's been:

Philip Rivers
Carson Palmer
Marc Bulger?

They'll probably use Arizona's technique with Matt Leinart.

Mr. Stiller
08-26-2007, 02:47 PM
I hope they start him week 1.

He and Woodley haven't been in the same backfield for a while.

soybean
08-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Considering Cassell is behind Tom Brady, Jim Sorgi behind Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers behind Brett Favre; there is a bit of a difference here. ;) Plus Schaub and Rodgers haven't even had success yet so really it's been:

Philip Rivers
Carson Palmer
Marc Bulger?

Romo? I guess campbell for now is an exception.

PoopSandwich
08-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Frye looked really good, I would wait to see how Frye does, but when there are signs of him doing bad, replace him instantly with Quinn, I don't care who's defense it is against.

Addict
08-26-2007, 03:03 PM
Frye looked really good, I would wait to see how Frye does, but when there are signs of him doing bad, replace him instantly with Quinn, I don't care who's defense it is against.

Quinn has looked better though.

neko4
08-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Just do what KC is doing w/ Croyle and chalk this up as the "final" rebuilding year

Unless Frye does absoultly terrible, and then Anderson follows suit, then stick Quinn in. No reason to rush him

Shahin
08-26-2007, 03:04 PM
NONONONONONONO, you can never bench a rookie QB after handing him the starting job, its the worst thing you could do.

Woosah.

If Quinn gives them the best chance to win then by all means start him. That being said, has he even had any reps with the first-team? I don't think so, which leads me to believe that he doesnt offer the best chance of success. At least not yet.

JoeMontainya
08-26-2007, 03:08 PM
We already tried this with Tim Couch...didn't work.

Chuck is going to get the start and Quinn will hold the clipboard, especially since our schedule starts out tuff. If Frye really blows i could see Quinn getting in there early, but if all goes to plan Quinn shouldn't be starting until after the bye week.

Hopefully Frye tears it up this year giving us some trade bait, but i am not going to hold my breath.

Dont even Bring up Tim Couch. He had zero OL to block, no Edwards, Winslow or even a possesion WR like Jurevicious. Much less a proven RB like Jamal Lewis to keep teams honest.

Quinn has a very solid OL that looks very good in preseason even without Tucker and Bentley in the starting line-up, a good #1 WR and one of the best TE's in the game.

Everyone knew Quinn was the closest QB to be game ready in this draft and he is proving in in limited time. By the 6th game of the year, if he isnt starting it will be criminal. But to say he should sit the 07 season is moronic.

Addict
08-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Woosah.

If Quinn gives them the best chance to win then by all means start him. That being said, has he even had any reps with the first-team? I don't think so, which leads me to believe that he doesnt offer the best chance of success. At least not yet.

last preseason game he played with K2 and JJ (that I know of) against the Bronco's #1 D and did very well.

JoeMontainya
08-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Woosah.

He went against Denvers 1st string if you paid attention.

Philip Rivers
Carson Palmer
Marc Bulger?

well.......Rivers was behind Drew Brees, Palmer behind Kitna, and Bulger behind Warner when he was winning a Super Bowl so........We have Charlie Frye who is in the bottom 3 for starting QB's currently in the NFL.

Addict
08-26-2007, 03:14 PM

Philip Rivers
Carson Palmer
Marc Bulger?

well.......Rivers was behind Drew Brees, Palmer behind Kitna, and Bulger behind Warner when he was winning a Super Bowl so........We have Charlie Frye who is in the bottom 3 for starting QB's currently in the NFL.

Glad you said so yourself. Frye isn't exactly of mentoring age,
Warner -> won SB
Kitna -> is known to be a great mentor
Brees -> one of the leagues best qbs.

Seriously, what is Frye gonna teach Quinn? "this is how to throw into coverage, we'll discuss getting sacked tomorrow"

PoopSandwich
08-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Quinn has looked better though.

Against who exactly?

He has played in 2 preseason games and you are ready to give him the starting job? Not when someone entering their third year played good too.

Like I said, Frye looked really good yesterday, theres no reason he shouldn't start Sept 9.

someone447
08-26-2007, 03:37 PM
Warner -> won SB

Seriously, what is Frye gonna teach Quinn? "this is how to throw into coverage, we'll discuss getting sacked tomorrow"

It has less to do with having a mentor, and more to do with giving time to learn the offense, NFL offenses are tons more complicated than college offenses

PoopSandwich
08-26-2007, 03:47 PM
Warner -> won SB

As for this you are being ignorant to the situation, by not starting Quinn early and against 2 great defenses in the first four months (Pittsburgh and Baltimore) and allowing Quinn to see the speed of the game in a regular season game.

As for your what is Frye going to teach Quinn? Not much, that's what Dorsey is doing, and I'll be surprised if Dorsey gets cut.

DeathbyStat
08-26-2007, 03:54 PM
I hope they start him week 1.

He and Woodley haven't been in the same backfield for a while.

Good point

Philliez01
08-26-2007, 03:59 PM

Philip Rivers
Carson Palmer
Marc Bulger?

Actually Brees wasn't anything special until the year Rivers held out. Bulger was drafted in 2000/2001 (can't recall) and that was the year after Warner was "that guy". Really, Palmer was the only one designated to be a QB of the Future that was sat out to learn the offense. Rivers had a shot at the job, I believe, but ruined it by holding out. Bulger was like, thr 4th or 5th option, I recall.

PalmerToCJ
08-26-2007, 04:00 PM
In terms of our team it was the right thing to do to sit Palmer. Early on I think he needed to learn the system and then later in the season we actually had a playoff shot and Kitna was playing well so he had to stay seated. With that said, I think Carson would've been better off in '04 if he had started towards the end of '03 but for the team it wasn't a good option.

I think the Browns are best off to sit him at least the first 6 weeks and let the Oline gel then bring him in later in the year.

JoeMontainya
08-26-2007, 04:02 PM
As for this you are being ignorant to the situation, by not starting Quinn early and against 2 great defenses in the first four months (Pittsburgh and Baltimore) and allowing Quinn to see the speed of the game in a regular season game.

As for your what is Frye going to teach Quinn? Not much, that's what Dorsey is doing, and I'll be surprised if Dorsey gets cut.

It is a must to sit Quinn at least until we get past Pitt and Baltimore. We really cant say when he should play because we dont know how our overall play will be until it happens. But it should be common knowledge that the depth charter should be Frye starting, and Quinn getting the nod after that in the preseason to get lots of reps. Anderson should be cut and Dorsey should be the Vet that helps Quinn like hes been doing so far.

Anderson is gone IMO.

Addict
08-26-2007, 04:04 PM

thanks, you're too kind.

PoopSandwich
08-26-2007, 04:05 PM
I'd start Quinn week 6 barring horrible QB play from Frye... You get past your 3 divisional home games, and past New England...

Quinn would get to start at home against Miami, if he has a good week going into the bye week thats awesome, if he struggles he has an extra week with the coaches to work on what he messed up and an extra week to go through film and he would also get the game speed and be able to adjust to it.

Week 6 is what I'm most comfortable with.

PoopSandwich
08-26-2007, 04:06 PM
thanks, you're too kind.

It wasn't meant to be an insult, but it seems like you want Quinn to start really bad and you aren't trying to understand why it's not smart to start him right away.

He's a good player and I really liked him before the draft even, but I don't like the idea of starting him right away after Frye restored some confidence in his play.

TimD
08-26-2007, 07:57 PM

Yea that's what i was thinking

AceInTheHole94
08-27-2007, 12:05 AM
I'd start Quinn week 6 barring horrible QB play from Frye... You get past your 3 divisional home games, and past New England...

Quinn would get to start at home against Miami, if he has a good week going into the bye week thats awesome, if he struggles he has an extra week with the coaches to work on what he messed up and an extra week to go through film and he would also get the game speed and be able to adjust to it.

Week 6 is what I'm most comfortable with.

Id start him against the dolphins for the reasons you said and because whether he'll say it or not hes gonna come in with a chip on his shoulders for them passing on him.

steelernation77
08-27-2007, 12:15 AM
Good point

we could use some fresh meat

Shiver
08-27-2007, 01:31 AM
This is a good decision. Is there anyone who thinks the Browns should throw Quinn out there against Pittsburgh? That would be a horrific decision. In fact, their first half of the schedule would be rough on a rookie QB. They should put him in when they are out of it, only then.

BrownsTown
08-27-2007, 01:34 AM
This is a good decision. Is there anyone who thinks the Browns should throw Quinn out there against Pittsburgh? That would be a horrific decision. In fact, their first half of the schedule would be rough on a rookie QB. They should put him in when they are out of it, only then.

Most people know the Brady isn't ready, but he's the best on the team. That's their argument. Even if he is, it'd be better for his development if they sit him until the bye, but that's some people's angle.

BlindSite
08-27-2007, 04:05 AM
There's arguments both for and against imo, look at Carr, Harrington, Couch, all guys who were rushed in too early.

Then there's guys like Leinart, Cutler, Palmer, Rivers who were allowed to develop BUT, Manning, Alex Smith, Eli Manning (to an extent) have been successful being thrown in with the lions and being allowed to struggle.

Iamcanadian
08-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Normally, I'd say start him after the Bye Week but Quinn may be an exception to the rule. He played for Charlie Weis in college in a pro set and may be ready to start even the season opener.
It certainly won't suprise me if he starts right away.

diabsoule
08-27-2007, 11:40 AM
You should never rush a rookie QB into starting. Romeo Crennel is making the right decision by not having Quinn start. He should continue to learn the system and develop a rapport with his teammates. Cleveland won't be going to the Super Bowl this year anyway so there is no need to rush the development of your future franchise player.