PDA

View Full Version : Which Team has the best chance to surprise?

iloxygenil
08-26-2007, 07:21 PM
And come out from being a bust team but has some hidden gems that will sneak out some games and end up going from a laughing stock to turning around their program?

I'm going to make my homer pick and say the Falcons...

They are expected to be the worst team in the league just about...however a few things have changed in ATL other than losing Michael Vick. The Falcons OL has allowed only 1 sack in 67 attempts thus far in the pre-season. The Falcons WRs have a real coach instead of an offensive lineman. The Falcons starting defense has yet to allow a point to be scored. The Falcons coaching staff has an entirely different scheme than that of the previous regime, no one knows what to expect.

Don Vito
08-26-2007, 07:40 PM
I'm gonna say Cleveland-they are gonna have a much improved OL (especially if Bentley and Tucker play) and they have a lot of young talent, especially on offense. Jamal Lewis cpuld help this team a lot if he plays well.

HoopsDemon12
08-26-2007, 07:44 PM
For some reason i think the Lions and the Cards will surprise a lot of people... also Oakland wont be the worst team in the league... which will surprise a lot of people

Don Vito
08-26-2007, 07:48 PM
For some reason i think the Lions and the Cards will surprise a lot of people... also Oakland wont be the worst team in the league... which will surprise a lot of people

As far as talent is concerned I would like to say the Cards/Lions, but the only thing has people have been saying "this is their year" for about 3 years for both of them.

HoopsDemon12
08-26-2007, 07:50 PM
As far as talent is concerned I would like to say the Cards/Lions, but the only thing has people have been saying "this is their year" for about 3 years for both of them.

well 4th times a charm? nah i think things turn around with matt a the qb and ken as the coach for the cards

M.O.T.H.
08-26-2007, 08:18 PM
I'll go w/ Oakland...new coaching staff, fantastic defense, A surprisingly good looking Daunte Culpepper, a healthy Jordan, and a new potential stud TE.

They should finish ahead of the Chiefs...I dont see them going to the playoffs or anything (obviously) but, they should be much better than a year ago.

neko4
08-26-2007, 08:20 PM
Buffalo, lots of good, young, talent. I think JP will have a big year, but they wont make the playoffs just yet.

M.O.T.H.
08-26-2007, 08:22 PM
I like what they've done on O but, Lynch has looked awful so, who knows...defense isn't scaring anyone.

draftguru151
08-26-2007, 08:28 PM
I think Cleveland will be a lot better than people think. 8-8 seems very realistic for the amount of improvements they've made.

neko4
I like what they've done on O but, Lynch has looked awful so, who knows...defense isn't scaring anyone.

no but Poz was an absolute steal. I think Lynch will get better, JP and Evans is a great connection. Dockery is a good pickup

Flyboy
Definitely the Raiders.

M.O.T.H.
08-26-2007, 08:38 PM
no but Poz was an absolute steal. I think Lynch will get better, JP and Evans is a great connection. Dockery is a good pickup

They're headed in the right direction but, that d will most likely be taking a step backwards this year. I think next year they may be a playoff team.

The Dynasty
08-26-2007, 08:38 PM
I guess a couple teams have the chance to surprise like some of you guys said like Buffalo and the raiders. I mainly agree with the raiders because of the Offense seems to be clicking right now with Culpepper and there Defense was good from last year and same as this year it seems. Buffalo on the other hand is a different story though. I really dont know about them. There Offesne can be good one week and then the next week they dont look good. They have lost alot of key parts from that Defense and i just dont know about the youthness of the D. Trying not to be a homer but i guess theres the vikings aswell. All we need is the Pass rush to be good enough to mess with the QB and tarvaris to be able to throw the ball like a true NFL QB. Minnesota had the best Running Defense last year. If they just improve on the passing defense and Tarvaris can play better than his only 2 career starts they could shock some people.

slightlyaraiderfan
08-26-2007, 09:02 PM
Definitely the Raiders.
Been hanging out with a lot of Raider fans in so cal?

Oeace.

Boston
08-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Methinks the Packers will surprise people.

Auron
08-26-2007, 09:27 PM
I actually like the Texans, and Cardinals to surprise this year. They won't set the world on fire but I don't think they'll be as bad as they have been the previous couple of seasons. I can see them both going around 8-8 maybe 9-7 and that would be great for either.

Texans - Schaub will be an upgrade over Carr at QB, and his quick decision making can mask the O-line's weaknesses a bit more. Ahman Green won't be a workhorse but he's actually a rushing threat if he stays healthy, and Jacoby Jones is a nice sleeper for OROY, the kid has been looking really impressive. I like the Defense with a young nucleus of DeMeco Ryans, Dunta Robinson, Mario Williams, and Omobi Okoye to continue to make strides.

Cardinals - Yeah they're always the trendy pick to improve every off-season but with a more disciplined Coach in Whisenhunt I can actually see the hype coming to fruition. I really like Leinart to continue developing as a 2nd year starter, he's accurate and is starting to develop great chemistry with Fitz, Boldin, and Bryant Johnson, I think the O-line improves a bit and Whisenhunt will find a way to get production from the rushing game.

PalmerToCJ
08-26-2007, 09:41 PM
I actually like the Texans, and Cardinals to surprise this year. They won't set the world on fire but I don't think they'll be as bad as they have been the previous couple of seasons. I can see them both going around 8-8 maybe 9-7 and that would be great for either.

Texans - Schaub will be an upgrade over Carr at QB, and his quick decision making can mask the O-line's weaknesses a bit more. Ahman Green won't be a workhorse but he's actually a rushing threat if he stays healthy, and Jacoby Jones is a nice sleeper for OROY, the kid has been looking really impressive. I like the Defense with a young nucleus of DeMeco Ryans, Dunta Robinson, Mario Williams, and Omobi Okoye to continue to make strides.

Cardinals - Yeah they're always the trendy pick to improve every off-season but with a more disciplined Coach in Whisenhunt I can actually see the hype coming to fruition. I really like Leinart to continue developing as a 2nd year starter, he's accurate and is starting to develop great chemistry with Fitz, Boldin, and Bryant Johnson, I think the O-line improves a bit and Whisenhunt will find a way to get production from the rushing game.

This I agree with.

I liked the Bills but with Lynch looking rough thus far I'm kinda backing off them (I didn't think they were a playoff team but 2nd in the east).

I don't think the Browns have a chance at doing anything, they're heading in the right direction but this year won't be anything out of the ordinary.

KILLERSANTA
08-26-2007, 09:42 PM
Joey is a 3500yards 20-25 TD's guy...Mark It Dowm

doingthisinsteadofwork
08-26-2007, 10:27 PM
They are expected to be the worst team in the league just about...however a few things have changed in ATL other than losing Michael Vick. The Falcons OL has allowed only 1 sack in 67 attempts thus far in the pre-season. The Falcons WRs have a real coach instead of an offensive lineman. The Falcons starting defense has yet to allow a point to be scored. The Falcons coaching staff has an entirely different scheme than that of the previous regime, no one knows what to expect.I wouldnt take that to seriously.Oaklands Oline didnt look that bad in the preseason last year.

sodar21
08-26-2007, 10:35 PM
Minnesota
Green Bay

Flyboy
08-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Been hanging out with a lot of Raider fans in so cal?

Oeace.

Haha, nah, not too many to be honest with you.

Gchu83
08-26-2007, 10:56 PM
Texans: They really have nowhere to go but up. Their D was much improved the 2nd half of last season (ranked Top 10) and we've added depth at LB, and hopefully Mario will improve as well as the entire DL.

This is a revamped offense that has already shown a TON of improvement. Schaub/Green are upgrades and Jacoby Jones looks like the real deal. The OL has also looked a lot better.

Eagles own the NFC East
08-26-2007, 11:29 PM
My surprises:

Denver wins the AFC West, Chargers get wild card.
They are improved on offense with Travis Henry and a more mature and experienced Jay Cutler, while the Chargers got a downgrade in a coach.

Rams win NFC West.
They got a very high powered offense, and a improving defense. Steven Jackson is a top 3 RB.

Redskins get wild card (Even an Eagles fan is saying that).
They have the running game, and the defense had a off year last year, they could easily bounce back. Campbell will improve a lot this season.

Green Bay Packers win the NFC North.
Bold lol, the bears imo are a mess and Rex isn't a good QB while the Packers are a young team but I think Farve will have a decent season and there defense is getting better.

PalmerToCJ
08-26-2007, 11:33 PM
I'm all but sure one of the top 2 surprises will be from the NFC West, I have no idea who will win that division.

sodar21
08-27-2007, 01:00 AM
My surprises:

Denver wins the AFC West, Chargers get wild card.
They are improved on offense with Travis Henry and a more mature and experienced Jay Cutler, while the Chargers got a downgrade in a coach.

Rams win NFC West.
They got a very high powered offense, and a improving defense. Steven Jackson is a top 3 RB.

Redskins get wild card (Even an Eagles fan is saying that).
They have the running game, and the defense had a off year last year, they could easily bounce back. Campbell will improve a lot this season.

Green Bay Packers win the NFC North.
Bold lol, the bears imo are a mess and Rex isn't a good QB while the Packers are a young team but I think Farve will have a decent season and there defense is getting better.
Don't see the Redskins doing well at all this year but I also think St. Louis wins the NFC West and that Green Bay will be a playoff team (and possible NFC North champ).

BlindSite
08-27-2007, 04:06 AM
I like Tampa but I don't think they stand much chance facing two playoff calibre teams and a much improved falcons in the divison.

WMD
08-27-2007, 04:09 AM
The Raiders and Vikings.. Lions ain't gonna do sheeeeeet this year.

Dam8610
08-27-2007, 04:17 AM
If the NFC South trend continues, expect the Bucs to win it.

The surprise team of the 2007 season will come from the NFC West, I'm just not sure which one it is yet. All 3 of the teams that didn't win the division last year have legitimate reasons to believe that they'll improve, and the division itself is wide open.

BlindSite
08-27-2007, 04:20 AM
If the NFC South trend continues, expect the Bucs to win it.

The surprise team of the 2007 season will come from the NFC West, I'm just not sure which one it is yet. All 3 of the teams that didn't win the division last year have legitimate reasons to believe that they'll improve, and the division itself is wide open.

Yes, but also count on the Panthers to make the playoffs. Under john fox, uneven number years are MONEY

awfullyquiet
08-27-2007, 05:27 AM
Yes, but also count on the Panthers to make the playoffs. Under john fox, uneven number years are MONEY

but only if it's divisible by five, six, or thirteen.

bored of education
08-27-2007, 06:38 AM
I predicted a Rams-Broncos Super Bowl a while back. I think Rams are going to be very good.

scottyboy
08-27-2007, 07:13 AM
Rams will win the NFC West. and going by many posters on this board, the Giants will be a surprise if the win 6-8 games...

neko4
08-27-2007, 07:27 AM
The Raiders and Vikings.. Lions ain't gonna do sheeeeeet this year.

those 2 teams will suprise us with how much they suck this year

zoinks
08-27-2007, 08:14 AM
I wouldn't have said this three weeks ago, but watch out for the Titans. Their defense is shaping up to be really, really good, and is creating turnovers left and right. Incredible depth in the secondary.
Vince Young now has a year of experience, and has had an entire offseason of film study with Norm Chow....he'll be more consistent as passer, and as dangerous as ever with his legs.
The biggest question is whether they'll be able to establish the running game...but their O-line resurrected Travis Henry's career last year, and could easily do the same for Chris Brown or Lendale White. Plus, they have quality depth, which is crucial.

princefielder28
08-27-2007, 09:04 AM
I think Detroit could make some noise come the end of the year and possibly contend for a playoff spot. Their defense isn't very good, but their passing attack is extraordinary and with Mike martz running the offense teams better watch out.

Iamcanadian
08-27-2007, 10:46 AM

I agree with hs predicton. Both these teams could make the playoffs. Buffalo and Detroit are out. Buffalo has a miserable schedule and Detroit has absolutely no defense. Oakland's a question mark. Can Culpepper stand up to a full game and a full season. We just don't know yet. San Fran, Washington and Tampa Bay could all be improved as well.

Stash
08-27-2007, 04:41 PM
I think Detroit could make some noise come the end of the year and possibly contend for a playoff spot. Their defense isn't very good, but their passing attack is extraordinary and with Mike martz running the offense teams better watch out.

I mostly agree with this. Although I don't think they will make the playoffs, I think their offense will be in a lot of shootouts which could be very fun to watch.

I would also have to pick my Raiders because most people just expect them to be as bad as they were last year. Realistically, they just need their offense to be mediocre and not turn the ball over much and they can win 5-8 games. Their defense kept them close in a lot of games last year, it was just that the offense could never even move.

flave1969
08-27-2007, 04:54 PM
I wouldn't have said this three weeks ago, but watch out for the Titans. Their defense is shaping up to be really, really good, and is creating turnovers left and right. Incredible depth in the secondary.
Vince Young now has a year of experience, and has had an entire offseason of film study with Norm Chow....he'll be more consistent as passer, and as dangerous as ever with his legs.
The biggest question is whether they'll be able to establish the running game...but their O-line resurrected Travis Henry's career last year, and could easily do the same for Chris Brown or Lendale White. Plus, they have quality depth, which is crucial.

I was thinking the Titans as well.

Shiver
08-27-2007, 04:59 PM
I say Houston and Washington.

Houston because they have a young defense that played strong towards the end of the season. That offense looks entirely different than the offensive unit from a year ago. Matt Schaub looks great, Owen Daniels steps up as the #2 to keep safeties off of Andre Johnson, Ahman Green is at the least better than anyone they had last year.

Washington is an example of what happens when a team gets hyped and fails to meet expectations. People avoid picking them again only to be 'surprised' when they do play well. I think they are a sleeper team. Am I the only person who isn't crazy about the rest of the NFC East?

skinzzfan25
08-27-2007, 05:09 PM

Houston because they have a young defense that played strong towards the end of the season. That offense looks entirely different than the offensive unit from a year ago. Matt Schaub looks great, Owen Daniels steps up as the #2 to keep safeties off of Andre Johnson, Ahman Green is at the least better than anyone they had last year.

Washington is an example of what happens when a team gets hyped and fails to meet expectations. People avoid picking them again only to be 'surprised' when they do play well. I think they are a sleeper team. Am I the only person who isn't crazy about the rest of the NFC East?

I agree with both, the Texans have the potential to form a real nice defense with Okoye, Ryans, and Mario being in their front 7. Surround them with some veteran leadership and develop some coverage and I think they can bounce back.

I do agree with Washington (duh lol) I think 2006 should be the forgotten year and we pick right up where we left off in 2005. People are playing with a chip on their shoulder and Saunders' offense has had time to develop. I know it's only preseason, but the defense looks real hyped up and Landry looks like a seasoned veteran.

San Diego Chicken
08-27-2007, 05:15 PM
The Chiefs won't be as bad as most are predicting, especially now that Huard is the starter. The defense is a really good blend of young guys and veterans and they can protect that defense with the run game. I've seen alot of power rankings with them in the bottom 5 and I don't get it at all.

Freddy G
08-27-2007, 08:55 PM
Well, i normally avoid homerism as a Browns fan, but this time is different. I think we can legitamately get 6-8 wins this year. My bet is 7-9.

Reasons:
- Last year, we were competive in nearly every game and had 4-6 plays gone the other way we could have easily had 7 wins. (though who is to say what else would have happened had those plays gone our way?) And this competiveness was with a make shift OL, Reuben Droughns starting, and an absolutely incompetant offensive coaching staff. In the 2 games Reuben rushed for 100+ we were 2-0. And Charlie has proven that when gets time, we isn't completely inept.

- Joe Thomas--Eric Steinbach--Bentley (fat Hank)--Ryan Tucker--Kevin Shaffer
will be our OL after week four. Steinbach is pro bowl caliber, Tucker is always consistant (when he isn't crazy anyway), Shaffer only gave up 3.5 sacks last year and we all know Joe. Give this line a couple weeks and they should be exponitially better than last years unit. Jamal isn't that great anymore, but he sure as hell is better than Drounghns. And with actual protection Charlie should be able to at least manage the game. (Brady has shown promise as well.)

- Our DL blows and that is our primary weakness. However the LBs are really good and we have good depth there, and the secondary has as much talent as anybody. Sean Jones was a beast last season and just ask 85 about Leigh Bodden. Pool and Eric Wright have as much talent as anyone and Pool has shown he can play, and Wright has done very well in the ps. Don't forget about Gary Baxter, but expect much either...great moral boost though. Oh, and Daven Holley is a very capable nickel man (4 ints last year)

So overall, our roster is vastly improved from last season and we could sneak up on some people this year if our OL plays as expected and our D can play up to their potential. Of course those are big IFs, but it is an understatement to say we are just improved from last season.

locseti
08-27-2007, 11:54 PM
Oakland, Atlanta, and Green Bay will be the big surprises this yr.

Shiver
08-27-2007, 11:56 PM
Now that I've seen Joey Harrington, I think Atlanta might overachieve for the first time in a while. The Falcons have a cupcake schedule and most people have them picking in the top-5...

M.O.T.H.
08-27-2007, 11:57 PM
I dont buy Atlanta being that bad...I know a lot have them as a top 5 pick but, I dont see it. They may surprise. In comparison to others...I like them more than the likes of the Browns or Titans...teams many are picking to surprise.

locseti
08-28-2007, 12:24 AM
I think this situation will bring the team closer together, especially under the veteran leadership of guys like Brooking, Dunn, Horn, and DeAngleo Fall. The defense looks OK, and I expect a big year from Abraham and the rookie Anderson. Having the likes of Norwood and Dunn is a welcome problem for any team, and if the receivers can cure their case of the dropsies and if the line adjusts well to the new blocking scheme, the falcons will surprise a lot of people with a record above .500

And like someone already mentioned, they have a very soft schedule; if they can get off to a good start and give Harrington some confidence, look out. I'm really rooting for Joey this yr

Shiver
08-28-2007, 12:35 AM
I hope the Falcons go 3-5 WR every play in the first three games. That's the best chance that the team has to beat Minnesota, Jacksonville and Carolina. Those are three teams that would have had a field day with the conservative, run heavy offense that the team used last year.

BlindSite
08-28-2007, 03:40 AM

Their best running back was and still is Wali Lundy.

BlindSite
08-28-2007, 03:41 AM
I hope the Falcons go 3-5 WR every play in the first three games. That's the best chance that the team has to beat Minnesota, Jacksonville and Carolina. Those are three teams that would have had a field day with the conservative, run heavy offense that the team used last year.

3 to 5 WRs against carolina, do you really think that you can block our defensive line with just your 5 offensive linemen?

Marshall, Lucas and Gamble imo would be up to task against your three best receivers as well.

Average OT LB
08-28-2007, 05:33 AM
I dont buy Atlanta being that bad...I know a lot have them as a top 5 pick but, I dont see it. They may surprise. In comparison to others...I like them more than the likes of the Browns or Titans...teams many are picking to surprise.

It all depends on Atlanta getting into the endzone.. I dont think they'll have a problem moving the ball but they have no TD threats. I believe crumpler was a vick product and early reports from camp, as well as the coach himself hae been negative. They will most likely be relying on who? jason snelling maybe? a rookie.. they may not be a top 5 team, but thats only cause there are a lot of bad teams in the league.. they will be a top 10 team.

Shiver
08-28-2007, 08:34 AM
3 to 5 WRs against carolina, do you really think that you can block our defensive line with just your 5 offensive linemen?

Marshall, Lucas and Gamble imo would be up to task against your three best receivers as well.

No but matching up a WR or Crumpler on the Panthers' lousy safeties would be ideal.

awfullyquiet
08-30-2007, 03:44 AM
No but matching up a WR or Crumpler on the Panthers' lousy safeties would be ideal.

yeah.

and besides, the short passing game nullifies julius peppers somewhat, unless he can teleport through tackles.

pick a tackle and crumpler. have crumpler give him the cold shoulder, bounce and pick off the safeties. give the tackle enough time to push him back into the guard. center picks off the NT, guard picks up the UT, tackle and foster/gongs/whomever pick off ruckers. that's 3-wr's and alge crumpler at harringtons disposal? force the big guys into a double team early and often on offense. wear them down a bit. drop into a four/five wide set in the red zone. i can see it working. and all it needs is some offense to grease the wheels for their seasons. it's a possibility. but, i still like NO better than ATL this year at least. Petrino/Harrington->Brohm next year looks pretty sexy. (unless someone manages to trade all of their draft picks)...

Arizona has disappointed for the past 23 seasons.
I can't say they're my suprise choice. Because, lets face it. Every year, they get hyped. EVERY YEAR. all you old people know this. maybe for the past five years. everyone always hyped the cards. and have they ever produced? not since 91? yep. if they do, it'll be the like the first time i looked at football scores online (this was in the dark ages, kids)... and saw, wait. indy is 5-0? don't they have jim harbaugh? who's this peyton manning kid? weird.
it was shock and disbelief. just as it would be if arizona managed to start 5-0. (and then i hoped we could crown them, and post-humously denny green).

I do like the jets's chance. Yes, they don't have a cupcake schedule this year. I think they can come with some upsets and cause some damage.
So, they had a winning record last year? Oh, everyone still calls it a fluke.

washington hasn't proved anything, gibbs + snyder is a losing combination year after year. i don't care if it's illogical. it still makes perfect sense. the pats have a model and it is the antithesis of the redskins. who's won 3 (soon to be 4) superbowls this decade?