PDA

View Full Version : Colt Brennan Comparison

Scott Wright
08-27-2007, 11:43 PM
I finally figured out who Colt Brennan reminds me of.

Check out my August 28th blog entry and discuss it here:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/blog/wrightstuff.html

neko4
08-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Well im on the Brennan band wagon, but not sure if he's top 5 just yet.
BTW, were Kolb and Beck system QB's too? I know they came from school famous for system QB's but didnt know if the two schools were still cranking out system Qb's. I like to use those to as examples. If system QB's can be 2nd rounders, than why cant Brennan be a first? \

YAYareaRB
08-28-2007, 12:25 AM
John Beck and Kevin Kolb are both alumni from pass happy systems. But, both are winners and both displayed great mechanics and put up a good show at the draft. During the off-season many coaches got a glimpse of what type of QB both are by isolating them in real type offenses they will run in the NFL. That's why both went in the second round. Colt Brennan is just like the two. He's stuck in the pass happy system and will be questioned on his adjustment to a more pro style offense. I think he has the tools to be a first round draft pick. He's certainly too good to pass up on if the team is looking for a QB.

Scott Wright
08-28-2007, 12:43 AM
I really think Colt Brennan has more to gain or lose at the Senior Bowl than any other prospect. As I've mentioned before I am really hoping he decides to play in the game because I know I'd love to see him in a different system for a week.

Flyboy
08-28-2007, 01:58 AM
I suppose I'm the only one who sees Alex Smith in Brennan.

energizerbunny
08-28-2007, 02:11 AM
Rivers efficency numbers at NC State were pretty crazy, I remember he was also called a system QB for almost his entire college career and wasn't projected anywhere near the 1st to begin with because of the stigma. How much did he actaully improve his stock at the senior bowl? I can remember him kind of being mentioned as a 2nd day type guy.

In short, good initial comparison for now.

D-Unit
08-28-2007, 02:42 AM
There is no real good comparison out there, imo, but Rivers is about as so so as any. Rivers' numbers and delivery may be similar, but that's all. Alex Smith is a pretty decent. Brennan has good escape ability and when he runs, he'll try to juke guys out or do whatever to get the extra yard even if it risks injury. I don't know if he'll continue to do that with more on the line this year, but we'll see. Additionally, he's got crazy accuracy while on the run.

doingthisinsteadofwork
08-28-2007, 11:04 AM
I see a little bit of a younger Gannon in Brennan to be honest.

Staubach12
08-28-2007, 05:28 PM
That's a very good comparison, Scott. I like it.

princefielder28
08-28-2007, 06:46 PM
Anyone think he's like Jay Cutler????

YAYareaRB
08-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Colt Brennan and Alex Smith ran two different types of offenses. But as far as mechanics go I think they are really similar.

Scott, you hit it right on the nail. That's what I was talking about when I said it will be good for him to be isolated away from Hawaii's offensive system. The Senior Bowl week would be the perfect spotlight for him to display his skills in pro style offenses.

DChess
08-28-2007, 10:11 PM
Anyone think he's like Jay Cutler????

no, jay has a much better arm, and slightly better mechanics. The rivers comparison is nice, both have that side motion, rivers was far worse in college though.

D-Unit
08-28-2007, 10:18 PM
For anyone who does actually plan on following Colt this year, June Jones has said Colt will be taking more snaps from Center. I'll be interested to see how much he actually does.

DChess
08-28-2007, 10:19 PM
For anyone who does actually plan on following Colt this year, June Jones has said Colt will be taking more snaps from Center. I'll be interested to see how much he actually does.

ill say around 5-7, and that might be a little too many, but if he's serious, then it should be around that much

PACKmanN
08-28-2007, 11:27 PM
Losman anyone?

D-Unit
08-29-2007, 12:19 AM
Losman anyone?
How so?

Maybe on the body build, but it stops there.

PACKmanN
08-29-2007, 01:31 AM
How so?

Maybe on the body build, but it stops there.

ok never mind bad choice, Aaron Rodgers is better.

D-Unit
08-29-2007, 01:40 AM
Instead of just throwing a name out there, why don't people start putting out some explanations why?

PACKmanN
08-29-2007, 01:44 AM
Instead of just throwing a name out there, why don't people start putting out some explanations why?

Rodgers was consider too small when he came out also he had terrible ball handling, he would hold the ball way to high(beside his helmet) and looked down one player too long. They both have average arms with excellent accuracy. Both are from "system qbs".

D-Unit
08-29-2007, 02:07 AM

DeathbyStat
08-30-2007, 08:43 AM
This maybe way out of bounds but he reminds me of David Carr. A QB with an awkward throwing motion and put up numbers in a soft conference

etk
08-30-2007, 08:47 AM
Is it unfathomable that a prospect *gasp* doesn't compare to anyone well. None of the comparisons here are accurate at all and the explanations are poor or non-existent. Let's leave Brennan as a unique prospect before someone comes in and screams "Timmy Chang".

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
08-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Rodgers was consider too small when he came out also he had terrible ball handling, he would hold the ball way to high(beside his helmet) and looked down one player too long. They both have average arms with excellent accuracy. Both are from "system qbs".

Dude, Aaron Rodgers had "Picture Perfect" mechanics.

He kinda reminds me of Dan Marino

HorusKing
08-31-2007, 02:42 AM
He looks to have all the tools to be very good but I need to see him at the senior bowl practices to check out his arm strength

keylime_5
08-31-2007, 01:29 PM
From what I've seen of Kolb's tools so far in the preseason I think he'll make it in the NFL as a good starting QB. If Kolb can do it so can Brennan coming out of a college pass happy shotgun system. I'm glad Brady's in Cleveland though so I don't have to worry about drafting such a big project of a QB, let Atlanta or Jacksonville or Chicago worry about him.