PDA

View Full Version : Big East Thread

DChess
08-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Talk anythign about the upcoming game sin the conference.

usf scares me, i just wanna throw that out there.

also i got my ticket this morning for the game saturday, should be funnnn

Predictions

Big Games:
West V .vs. Lousiville= West V. Too much at home this year
Lousiville .vs. Rutgers= Lousiville
Rutgers .vs. West V= West V
USF .vs. Lousiville= USF
Rutgers .vs. USF= Rutgers
USF .vs. West V= cant make up my mind

scottyboy
08-28-2007, 04:41 PM
Rutgers losing to both WVA and Lousiville??? one may happen, but not both...

Canadian_kid16
08-28-2007, 05:59 PM
Can a four way tie happen between USF,Rutgers, Louisville, and WVU? I say Louisville and WVU tie for first, and USF and Rutgers tie for third...

kwilk103
08-28-2007, 06:02 PM
Rutgers losing to both WVA and Lousiville??? one may happen, but not both...

both will happen; rugters comes back down to earth this year; louisville doesnt lose at home, and wvu doesnt lose to rugters

rugters has never faced pat white, so dont start how you only lost by 2 last year

this is wvu's year

its kind of funny how all rugters fans act like they are the best after 1 good year out of like 110

DChess
08-28-2007, 06:46 PM
both will happen; rugters comes back down to earth this year; louisville doesnt lose at home, and wvu doesnt lose to rugters

rugters has never faced pat white, so dont start how you only lost by 2 last year

this is wvu's year

its kind of funny how all rugters fans act like they are the best after 1 good year out of like 110

hey i got my ticket but i applyed for the maniac section, and i got it but someone told me today that if im not actually a maniac, i cant sit there. Also some guy invited me to this tailgate not at the pit but in the one bank right near the stadium i forgot what its called.

scottyboy
08-28-2007, 06:47 PM

this is wvu's year

funny how we've been to 2 straight bowls so that means we've had one good year....

also yea we lost by 2 at WVA. pat white makes it about a 10 point game, but how can you say we're down to earth after we gave you a huge scare last year... and with Louisville not losing at home, check Mike Teel's record at home, lets see whatcha find...

neko4
08-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Rutgers gets a bowl bid but falls out of top 25, next year if Rice stays and with all the talent WVU and Loovile lose, they should compete better next year.
Louisville and WVU come out on top
I guess cincy and usf will be the only other teams to get aa bowl bid

DChess
08-28-2007, 06:50 PM
funny how we've been to 2 straight bowls so that means we've had one good year....

also yea we lost by 2 at WVA. pat white makes it about a 10 point game, but how can you say we're down to earth after we gave you a huge scare last year... and with Louisville not losing at home, check Mike Teel's record at home, lets see whatcha find...

if teel has a good passing game then it should be close but if not it could be a couple td differential

scottyboy
08-28-2007, 06:54 PM
if teel has a good passing game then it should be close but if not it could be a couple td differential

last year, with White we lose by about 10. but at home, Teel is MUCH moer comfortable and it should be a very good game..

i feel Lousiville will finish 3rd behind WVA and RU(not in that order ;))
with a new RB and coach, i dont trust that and their D... Brohm, Williams and Urrita scare me, but they need a better run game...

kwilk103
08-28-2007, 06:55 PM

a scare with our backup who never played a meaningful down in his career (unless you count garbage time against teams like marshall and eastern washington)

didnt we beat teel when he was a freshman at home?

wow, 2 straight bowl games; how did you ever accomplish that; that has to be like a record or something

your offense scored what, 24 pts against our horrible defense in regulation; thats not that impressive

wvu will by 10

DChess
08-28-2007, 06:56 PM
last year, with White we lose by about 10. but at home, Teel is MUCH moer comfortable and it should be a very good game..

with a new RB and coach, i dont trust that and their D... Brohm, Williams and Urrita scare me, but they need a better run game...

brohm without petrinos offense could struggle, im kind of thinking he will.lousiville is good but not big east worthy,im not trying to be biased but i really think that wvu will win it this year. i really like devine being on the team, from a standpoint of getting everyone excited, via kickoff/punt/ recieving. hopefully he can do what ginn did when he was a fresh/soph for tosu

scottyboy
08-28-2007, 06:59 PM
a scare with our backup who never played a meaningful down in his career (unless you count garbage time against teams like marshall and eastern washington)

didnt we beat teel when he was a freshman at home?

wow, 2 straight bowl games; how did you ever accomplish that; that has to be like a record or something

your offense scored what, 24 pts against our horrible defense in regulation; thats not that impressive

wvu will by 10

know some facts before you post ok? teel has TWO losses in his career as a starter, at WVA and AT cincy... last year was his 1st year starting, Ryan Hart aka Mr INT started and lost that game, Teel played about a quarter and a half in a blow out game... Teel was in hostile environment in a huge game as a 1st year starter...he's lightyears ahead of that now

scottyboy
08-28-2007, 07:01 PM
brohm without petrinos offense could struggle, im kind of thinking he will.lousiville is good but not big east worthy,im not trying to be biased but i really think that wvu will win it this year. i really like devine being on the team, from a standpoint of getting everyone excited, via kickoff/punt/ recieving. hopefully he can do what ginn did when he was a fresh/soph for tosu

i agree, i feel louisville is in for a let down this year. it's gonna be between WVA and RU. Right now, you have more talent, but we play you at home, it should be very interesting. It's just ignorant posters like kwilk that gets me going... DChess, you keep me in check :D

DChess
08-28-2007, 07:01 PM
know some facts before you post ok? teel has TWO losses in his career as a starter, at WVA and AT cincy... last year was his 1st year starting, Ryan Hart aka Mr INT started and lost that game, Teel played about a quarter and a half in a blow out game... Teel was in hostile environment in a huge game as a 1st year starter...he's lightyears ahead of that now

last year was a great and "magical" year for rutgers, but i think they level off a little this year, and lose three games, maybe two.

im going to say it now, rutgers vs ucf will be an awesome game

kwilk103
08-28-2007, 07:04 PM

and you need some reading comprehension skills, ok? i posted a question, meaning i dont know the facts

and white wasnt? i guess leading the team from 17 down with 8 min to play (although it wasnt a hostile enviornment) was better than anything teel has done

but i guess the sugar bowl wasnt hostile enviornment? i mean, it was played in atlanta, which is about 80 min from athens,which is where uga plays; so it was basically a home game for uga; but thats not a hostile enviornment

DChess
08-28-2007, 07:05 PM
i agree, i feel louisville is in for a let down this year. it's gonna be between WVA and RU. Right now, you have more talent, but we play you at home, it should be very interesting. It's just ignorant posters like kwilk that gets me going... DChess, you keep me in check :D

i do what i can scottyboy, :)

scottyboy
08-28-2007, 07:07 PM
since when have i questioned white? since then he's improved even more and is a star dual QB in the NCAA. teel is not as talented as White, I admit it.

but still you change the fact of Teel improving and turn it into me saying White not facing hostile evnvironments... all i said Teel has improved since the away game, i never mentioned White... way to just turn it around and put words in my mouth...

kwilk103
08-28-2007, 07:10 PM
you make it sound if though white has never faced a hostile enviornment

georgia dome>>>>>rugters home crowd

scottyboy
08-28-2007, 07:16 PM
you make it sound if though white has never faced a hostile enviornment

georgia dome>>>>>rugters home crowd

i never talked about White...or his ability to face a crowd... all i said that if he plays last year, it's more than a 2 point game...

kwilk103
08-28-2007, 07:18 PM
aight, i just read it wrong then

DChess
08-28-2007, 07:18 PM
i think we can all admit, usf is way to scary

scottyboy
08-28-2007, 07:19 PM
i think we can all admit, usf is way to scary

Grothe is a stud in the making... their D is good too. and their young. a team to watch..

DChess
08-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Grothe is a stud in the making... their D is good too. and their young. a team to watch..

plus they're so inconsistent, it makes it even scarier

scottyboy
08-28-2007, 07:22 PM
plus they're so inconsistent, it makes it even scarier

haha i know, one game it's random team 40, usf 7 and then they come out and do the exact oppostie. one day the D is unbelievably good, and others they're awful

DChess
08-28-2007, 07:24 PM
haha i know, one game it's random team 40, usf 7 and then they come out and do the exact oppostie. one day the D is unbelievably good, and others they're awful

i know wtf,i hate that yet i respect it. also i believe that syracuse is going to have a very solid year, will defiantly take a step in the right direction

kwilk103
08-28-2007, 07:24 PM
ill be at the wvu vs usf game

last time we played them in tampa, my uncle (whole family goes; they live in fla) said it was 1/2 wvu fans, and theyre expecting the same this year

Tampa 2 4 life
08-29-2007, 02:49 PM
ill be at the wvu vs usf game

last time we played them in tampa, my uncle (whole family goes; they live in fla) said it was 1/2 wvu fans, and theyre expecting the same this year

No, that game is sold out. If anything it would be like 1/8.

kwilk103
08-29-2007, 02:57 PM
i know its sold out; he said last time was 1/2 wvu fans and expects close to half again

so, youre sayin im not goin to the game?

Giantsfan1080
08-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Well Rutgers opens up the season tomorrow which is very exciting. I don't think Rutgers will have a drop off compared to last year I actually think they may be slightly better. Obviously losing Leonard as the face of the team hurts but there are plenty of guys that will step up. I think as Scottboy said we probbaly lose 1 out of WV and Louisville. I'm really glad we have USF at home this year as well.

Tampa 2 4 life
08-29-2007, 03:48 PM
i know its sold out; he said last time was 1/2 wvu fans and expects close to half again

so, youre sayin im not goin to the game?

I'm saying it's not going to be half and half because more people in the area are excited about USF.

kwilk103
08-29-2007, 03:51 PM
youll be surprised how many wvu fans will be there

12-0 closet games will be ul, but we win by 7

i just dont see how rugters beats us

there offense put up 24 in regulation (which against our def is not very good), our defense will be better, offense will be a lot better (passing the ball more, schmitt lining up as tight end, in the slot, devine/slaton in the slot)

home field advantage hasnt seemed to bother white at all

PASSING: West Virginia-WHITE, Patrick 13-20-0-222

RUSHING: West Virginia-SLATON, Steve 18-156; WHITE, Patrick 23-125

arguably whites best game came against ul at ul; he single handly kept wvu in the game; w/o slatons fumble for a td, and a punt return for a td, the game comes down to the wire; thats 14 pts they should not have gotten, and they won by 10

slatons wrist is cleared up, and the punter was bench, cuz we do the rugby punt, and he punted to the right, when he was supposed to punt to the coverage, which went left, thus leaving the whole side of the field basically unoccupied

i just cant see anyone but ul beating us; even then we are undefeated in home night games with rodriguez as coach

Jonny
08-29-2007, 05:01 PM
Rutgers will improve too.

I actually think White was a better matchup for us than Brown. We had prepped for White, and actually did a decent job vs. the run. Our secondary was bad last year, only masked by a great pass rush.

WVU's secondary was really bad last year. They did add Lankster, but he's in trouble with the law.

Perhaps this is all moot, because UL probably does have the best team. I don't know if we'll beat WVU or not, but we have a better team than last year on paper by far. Great OL and DL, deep WR corps, deep RB corps, much better secondary. LB is the only concern for me, until Ryan D'Imperio comes back.

ps. Stop with the "only one good year" thing, you sound like a BC fan. History didn't begin in 1996, when the Shea Error started.

kwilk103
08-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Rutgers will improve too.

I actually think White was a better matchup for us than Brown. We had prepped for White, and actually did a decent job vs. the run. Our secondary was bad last year, only masked by a great pass rush.

WVU's secondary was really bad last year. They did add Lankster, but he's in trouble with the law.

Perhaps this is all moot, because UL probably does have the best team. I don't know if we'll beat WVU or not, but we have a better team than last year on paper by far. Great OL and DL, deep WR corps, deep RB corps, much better secondary. LB is the only concern for me, until Ryan D'Imperio comes back.

ps. Stop with the "only one good year" thing, you sound like a BC fan. History didn't begin in 1996, when the Shea Error started.

its a completely different game when whites in there; brown is no where near as good as white as a runner

DChess
08-31-2007, 12:34 AM
not too many fans of the big east in here, huh

josh07039
08-31-2007, 11:20 AM
Even though I'm a huge Rutgers fan and they looked great last night(I was there), I'm not going to say that they are definitely going to beat WVU or UL. However, I'm going to say they are going to lose to either. Depending upon how their MLB situation resolves and is Teel really has improved as much as everyone is saying, Rutgers could go undefeated or I could see them losing 3 or 4. In my opinion, Rutgers will beat WVU at home lose to UL and get a stupid upset to Pitt or USF.

Also, I know it was in the 4th quarter against Buffalo, but Anthony Davis looked like an absolute monster, regularly knocking down a couple guys at once and opening huge holes.

kwilk103
08-31-2007, 12:23 PM
they wont beat wvu; we beat rugters, its what we do

again theyve never faced pat white; the guy single handly won the gator for us and kept us in the ul game

Tampa 2 4 life
08-31-2007, 04:26 PM
stupid upset to Pitt or USF.

Wait, What?

SuperKevin
08-31-2007, 04:46 PM
Tiquan Underwood and Harry Douglas both put on a show last night

Jimmy
08-31-2007, 05:43 PM
My pick is usf. this team may seem like its getting a lot of attention as the "sleeper", but believe me, if you really looked in depth at this team, you would realize that it is a miracle how they have actually managed to stay this far under the radar.

Reasons: Matt Grothe at QB
Mike Ford, Florida's all time leading rusher, and 5 star recruit at RB.

One of the fastest men alive in Taurus Johnson at WR, as well as Amarri Jackson, the 6'5 blazer. The brandon stokley of college slot recievers in Marcus Edwards.

George Selvie at DE, Tyrone McKenzie, former Cyclone at LB, Ben Moffit, who is on the Butkis Award Radar, And the Best CB Duo in the country.

Yes I said it, best Duo in the Country. Mark my works, Mike Jenkins and Trae Williams will both go before pick 64 in the draft. Im still trying to figure out how Scott has these guys up with inaccurate info, and a ranking as low as that. Mike Jenkins is a 6'0 200 corner that that had is a lockdown 1 on 1, runs in the 4.35 range, and can hit like a safety. Trae Williams had seven interceptions last season, and at 5'10 is one of the big easts premier cornerbacks in man coverage. I can't figure which is better out of the two, but i can tell you that they both are damn close if not top 5 corners in the country.

thats just my perception. I say they have 1 loss.

Buttered toast sonic
09-02-2007, 11:38 PM
Rutgers will win the big east this year for 3 reasons

1. Balance on the O (louisville doesn't have a great run game to compliment brohm's abilities, WVU has a meh pass game, so we can just stack the box, RU has an elite back in ray rice and the big easts 2nd best QB in Teel)

2. Defense (rutgers has the best defense in the big east, ask Brian brohm about that)

3. schedule (rutgers has 8 home games, and doesn't go on the road till october to play Syracuse, our other road games are at army and at Uconn, and Louisville, so we get USF and WVU in our house)

kwilk103
09-03-2007, 02:13 AM
wvu will win the big east:

1. healthy slaton; wrist is repaired

2. more balanced offense; came out throwing against wmu; by the time usf comes, slaton/devine will be on the field at the same time; along with schmitt as a tight end; white has dramatically improved as a passer

3. rugters strength on offense, is our strength on defense; rice wont be the one who beats us, and i feel teel wont be able to do it

4. when everyone is healthy it is hard to stop our offense; no one has done so yet; now with a proven back-up brown and good depth at running back (devine/sanders), rodriguez will be more comfortable playing them; hence why brown didnt play against usf, and why the whole 3rd quarter of the ul games was white running/throwing; our second teamers are very good

4. when white is healthy (wasnt for usf game last year) he can carry the team on his own; single handly kept us in ul game and single handly won us the ga tech game

Tampa 2 4 life
09-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Rutgers will win the big east this year for 3 reasons

1. Balance on the O (louisville doesn't have a great run game to compliment brohm's abilities, WVU has a meh pass game, so we can just stack the box, RU has an elite back in ray rice and the big easts 2nd best QB in Teel)

2. Defense (rutgers has the best defense in the big east, ask Brian brohm about that)

3. schedule (rutgers has 8 home games, and doesn't go on the road till october to play Syracuse, our other road games are at army and at Uconn, and Louisville, so we get USF and WVU in our house)

1. Teel is maybe the 5th or 6th best QB in the big east, beating up on Buffalo won't change that.

2. Returning 6 starters on Defense will hurt.

3. So? Appalachian state went into Michigan and beat them.

kwilk103
09-03-2007, 12:03 PM
wow, i just realized he said teel is the 2nd best qb; i think its more like this

1a. brohm
1b. white (brohm is the best in the country at a pro-style offense, and white is perfect for wvu so for their respective teams, they are perfect, hence the 1a and 1b)

3. grothe

4. teel, cuz i dont know any other qbs

so hes 4th at best

Giantsfan1080
09-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Bumping this up. I hope Cincy comes out with the W tomorrow night.

SuperKevin
09-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Man I hate Thursday games. I always forget about them

RyanLeaf#1
09-05-2007, 10:31 PM

Home dog I love home dogs.

SuperKevin
09-05-2007, 10:32 PM

Could be tough if Sammie Stroughter plays. They already have the running game going strong, if they can get a big time target in the passing game they could be trouble

Giantsfan1080
09-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Could be tough if Sammie Stroughter plays. They already have the running game going strong, if they can get a big time target in the passing game they could be trouble

I agree that's why I'm hoping. I always want to see the Big East teams win games unless they are against RU.

vatech=accdomination
09-06-2007, 09:32 PM
so, uh, i didnt think that the Loiusville game was a new one, MTSU? lol, WVU is gonna steamroll that defense.

DChess
09-06-2007, 09:58 PM
cincy is butt raping oregon st

SuperKevin
09-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Big East made a huge point tonight

Giantsfan1080
09-06-2007, 11:59 PM
Big East is better than most people give them credit for.

Jughead10
09-07-2007, 07:34 AM
Big East is better than most people give them credit for.

I wouldn't say that quite yet. Are some of the teams better than the consistently overrated west coast PAC-10 teams who complain about an east coast bias? Yes, they are. But they still can't hold the jock of the power conferences, and if a Big East team goes undefeated and plays for the BCS championship, it is indeed because of the schedule.

Notredameleo
09-07-2007, 07:39 AM
Big East owns all!!!!!

Giantsfan1080
09-07-2007, 11:49 AM
I wouldn't say that quite yet. Are some of the teams better than the consistently overrated west coast PAC-10 teams who complain about an east coast bias? Yes, they are. But they still can't hold the jock of the power conferences, and if a Big East team goes undefeated and plays for the BCS championship, it is indeed because of the schedule.

This year I think West Virgnia can beat pretty much any team on any given night. There are only 3 or 4 teams better than them in IMO. We'll see how South Florida does against Auburn this week.

Jughead10
09-07-2007, 11:51 AM
This year I think West Virgnia can beat pretty much any team on any given night. There are only 3 or 4 teams better than them in IMO. We'll see how South Florida does against Auburn this week.

I'm guessing they will be beaten pretty easily if Auburn's RB is playing. I heard he might not. Either way I think they lose. West Virginia has no defense. I'd like to see them play a team who is strong on both sides of the ball.

Giantsfan1080
09-07-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm guessing they will be beaten pretty easily if Auburn's RB is playing. I heard he might not. Either way I think they lose. West Virginia has no defense. I'd like to see them play a team who is strong on both sides of the ball.

There aren't many teams like that though. USC, LSU, Oklahoma, and a couple others. I think USF is going to put up a nice showing for the Big East. Grothe has what it takes to win this game. If they do lose I think it'll be within single digits.

DChess
09-07-2007, 12:15 PM
There aren't many teams like that though. USC, LSU, Oklahoma, and a couple others. I think USF is going to put up a nice showing for the Big East. Grothe has what it takes to win this game. If they do lose I think it'll be within single digits.

i agree, they have one of the best corner back combos in the whole ncaa, and their offense can put up points, they are probably one of the most underrated teams in the ncaa, wouldn't be surprised if they won

scottyboy
09-07-2007, 12:22 PM
well, i think Lousiville proved my point that the big east will be between RU and Wva. they're D just was blech, and against Middle Tenn? try stopping Rice, Underwood, Britt& Slaton, White, Devine.

yea they won, but didnt look good...

Tampa 2 4 life
09-07-2007, 07:46 PM
well, i think Lousiville proved my point that the big east will be between RU and Wva. they're D just was blech, and against Middle Tenn? try stopping Rice, Underwood, Britt& Slaton, White, Devine.

yea they won, but didnt look good...

USF will come in third and ultimately decide who wins the conference IMO.

Edit: Also,Grothe has a tendency to play up to an opponent, and our O-Line is getting healthy, so this will be a fun game.

leftwich7
09-07-2007, 10:16 PM
my hometown guys (Syracuse) just did not expect what Washington was bringing them last week. They have some young position players and when the defense gets up they will make progress

Basileus777
09-07-2007, 11:13 PM
my hometown guys (Syracuse) just did not expect what Washington was bringing them last week. They have some young position players and when the defense gets up they will make progress

They need to get rid of Greg Robinson. He is a terrible coach and is going to run the program into the ground.

Jonny
09-07-2007, 11:26 PM
I wouldn't write off Louisville yet. You know Schiano isn't.

Tampa 2 4 life
09-09-2007, 08:02 AM
Only one loss for all the teams in the entire Big East!

Iamcanadian
09-09-2007, 09:31 AM

Your right, South Florida beating Auburn means nothing. This conference is way under rated and it is ironic that Virginia Tech, Boston College and Miami now play in the inferior conference. Outside of Texas and Oaklahoma, the Big 12 is also a lot weaker than the Big East.
This is actually an up year for the Pac 10 or didn't you notice how Cal dominated Tennessee. Oh, didn't Georgia just loose as well. H..mmm Auburn, Georgia and Tennessee, yeah the SEC is scaring people with their dominance.

Giantsfan1080
09-10-2007, 10:39 AM
I'm really glad South Florida pulled off the W. The conference is going to come down to all the games that Rutgers, USF, WV, and Louisville play against each other.

NGSeiler
09-10-2007, 04:06 PM

True, I guess prior to last year, a 7-5 season and a 4-3 Big East record did count for a good year for Rutgers. :p

I like what Devine brings to the team as well. I loved watching him squirt through the line on his second touchdown run against Marshall last weekend. I hope Rich Rod gains some more confidence in him and starts using him a bit more to spell Slaton earlier in the game.

I was also very impressed by the way Reynaud stepped it up in the first half when Marshall was keying on Slaton. We need to be able to count on our receivers whenever teams make it a point to focus on our backfield. Hopefully we see some more downfield passing in those instances.

Louisville's defense did not look good last week and I'm cautiously optimistic about what WVU will be able to do to them at home. But man, I just have not gained enough confidence in the secondary and the defense's ability to apply consistent pressure on the quarterback. Additionally, the defense needs to get better at forcing turnovers and mistakes if they want to stand a chance against Brohm. I just envision him picking this D apart and it becoming another game where you've got to get at least in the mid 40s to stay in the game.

NGSeiler
09-15-2007, 10:40 PM
Down goes Louisville! Down goes Louisville!

scottyboy
09-22-2007, 04:38 PM

I'm pretty sure I called it.

also, are teel, underwood and britt starting to scare you yet? granted it's against NFSU, BUF and navy, but damn they're clicking

and hell, Louisville will probably finish worse than 3rd...

Turtlepower
09-22-2007, 05:29 PM

I say they finish 5th behind USF and Cincy.

Tampa 2 4 life
09-22-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm pretty sure I called it.

also, are teel, underwood and britt starting to scare you yet? granted it's against NFSU, BUF and navy, but damn they're clicking

Teel won't scare me unless he puts up these stats against a real Opponent.

October 6th vs Cincinatti is going to be your first test.

Tampa 2 4 life
09-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Also, Homer Prediction of the week:

USF beats WVU by at least 10 points.

Reasons:

1. The WVU O-Line is not bulky enough to stop our pass rush. The worst statistical day for our D-Line came against Auburn(315 lb average), UNC and Elon both have Smallish O-Lines, around 300 lb average. WVU's Average: 297 lb.

2. Our Secondary won't allow more than 100 yards passing from Pat White.

3. We have extremely fast Linebackers who routinely cover the flat, so you will have to run it North-South. Unless Owen Schmitt has a 150 yard game this won't happen.

4. Grothe is better passing in the pocket than he was last year. The way you guys held him in the second half last year was keeping him in the pocket, this year, Grothe has developed a much better Deep ball, and better timing. Unless your Linebackers have a big day covering the middle of the field, you'll be in trouble.

Final Score: 34-24

kwilk103
09-22-2007, 06:20 PM
wvu's d has started showing up

allowed 17 points last week @ maryland (7 came in the last 5 min when it was 31-10; so they basically gave up 10)

gave up 7 today vs ecu; allowed about 140 total yds (had about 70 going into last drive; had a 70 yd td drive; so 1st team gave up 70 yds and 0 points)

i feel a lot better about the game friday vs fsu

and our offense had about 640 yds

scottyboy
09-22-2007, 06:21 PM

Reasons:

1. The WVU O-Line is not bulky enough to stop our pass rush. The worst statistical day for our D-Line came against Auburn(315 lb average), UNC and Elon both have Smallish O-Lines, around 300 lb average. WVU's Average: 297 lb.

3. We have extremely fast Linebackers who routinely cover the flat, so you will have to run it North-South. Unless Owen Schmitt has a 150 yard game this won't happen.

4. Grothe is better passing in the pocket than he was last year. The way you guys held him in the second half last year was keeping him in the pocket, this year, Grothe has developed a much better Deep ball, and better timing. Unless your Linebackers have a big day covering the middle of the field, you'll be in trouble.

yea impressed many with the W over Auburn, but Elon and UNC are just as bad as Buffalo and Navy. I wouldnt compare the O lines of those 2 to WVU's. There middle is solid, its just can you get penatration on the outside to shut down White and Slaton

Turtlepower
09-22-2007, 06:22 PM
I see the conference finishing:

1. Rutgers
2. WVU
3. USF
4. Cincy
5. Louisville

kwilk103
09-22-2007, 06:24 PM

Reasons:

no way usf beats us by 10; white will have over 100 passing yds; and come on, comparing our o-line to UNC and ELON? seriously, ELON?

wvu by at least 7; white will have a good game; defense is playing WAY better; whites a gamer, he wont lose this game

wvu 31-21

Tampa 2 4 life
09-22-2007, 06:38 PM
wvu's d has started showing up

allowed 17 points last week @ maryland (7 came in the last 5 min when it was 31-10; so they basically gave up 10)

gave up 7 today vs ecu; allowed about 140 total yds (had about 70 going into last drive; had a 70 yd td drive; so 1st team gave up 70 yds and 0 points)

i feel a lot better about the game friday vs fsu

and our offense had about 640 yds
:(

Didn't ECU lose Aundrae Allison and have a First Year Starter?

Scottyboy,

Virginia only got 2 sacks on UNC.

Tampa 2 4 life
09-22-2007, 06:42 PM
no way usf beats us by 10; white will have over 100 passing yds; and come on, comparing our o-line to UNC and ELON? seriously, ELON?

wvu by at least 7; white will have a good game; defense is playing WAY better; whites a gamer, he wont lose this game

wvu 31-21

Not in talent, in size. George Selvie is too good for a 290 pound O-Lineman to pancake him, the Experienced 315 pound Auburn Tackle held him to only 4 or 5 hurries by just letting him bull rush him and holding him back for a few secs. Pat White will have a lot of rushed throws and scrambles, and our defense is too fast for anybody to scramble effectively.

kwilk103
09-22-2007, 06:50 PM
yea

against vt they had 7 points and 260 yds

against unc 423 (344 passing) and 34 points

against southern miss 300 (200 passing) and 21 points

only 54 yds passing vs wvu----1 int and 4 sacks

maryland had 260 (180 passing)---14 points---7 of which came in the last 5 minutes when the score was 31-7(i had score wrong; looked it up)---2 int, 4 sacks

so compared to other teams ecu played, we played very well; maryland had a 75 yd drive in the 1st and a 86 yd drive with about 5 to go in the 4th; other than that, we shut them donw

kwilk103
09-22-2007, 06:54 PM
i dont watch a lot of auburn, but we run around 90% of the plays out of the shotgun and most of the throws are quick ones; plus we have 2 of your coaches who are familiar with usf

im not saying he wont have an impact, cuz he will, but the quick screens, and rb dives will help eliminate that

plus last year white was injured and rod admitted in the post game brown should have starte (which he did the next game), slaton fumbled at the 1 (injured wrist, been repaired), and that was the week of the whole rod to alabama fiasco

kwilk103
09-22-2007, 06:57 PM
i think you guys are good, but i think white will find a way to win (he single handly won us the gator bowl last year, and kept us in the ul game); plus i think devine will want to have a good game cuz his family will be there and maybe deion

btw, do you think leavitt will ever leave usf? like if a big time program came calling and offered around $2-3 mil?

Tampa 2 4 life
09-22-2007, 07:43 PM
i think you guys are good, but i think white will find a way to win (he single handly won us the gator bowl last year, and kept us in the ul game); plus i think devine will want to have a good game cuz his family will be there and maybe deion

btw, do you think leavitt will ever leave usf? like if a big time program came calling and offered around $2-3 mil?

Alabama offered him the job twice including this year. Miami also asked him this year.

RyanLeaf#1
10-16-2007, 07:58 AM
Anyone else looking forward to the USF vs Rutgers game and the Louisville vs UConn game? I think USF and UConn win.

Giantsfan1080
10-16-2007, 08:00 AM
Anyone else looking forward to the USF vs Rutgers game and the Louisville vs UConn game? I think USF and UConn win.

I can't wait till Thursday. I hope we can pull off the upset.

NYGibril28
10-16-2007, 08:01 AM

Ditto. I was born and raised in CT and now currently in Florida. I've jumped on the USF hype train but Virginia Tech and UConn are still my favorite teams.

RyanLeaf#1
10-16-2007, 08:02 AM
I can't wait till Thursday. I hope we can pull off the upset.

Its definitely going to be a good game, but I think USF has to tough of a defense.

Tampa 2 4 life
10-16-2007, 03:15 PM
USF at Rutgers Breakdown:

USF -
- Don't allow Ray Rice the cutback lane.
- Get in the backfield.
- Establish the deep ball.
- No designed runs for Grothe. Make him scramble and make Rutgers chase.

Rutgers -
-Pound the Rock
- Pound the Rock
- Pound the Rock
- Keep Grothe from making plays with his feet.
- Don't turn the ball over.
- Pound the rock.

Don Vito
10-16-2007, 03:55 PM
I like USF a lot, but as a BC fan I am going to have to root for Rutgers for the first time in a while. It should be a pretty good game, that USF defense against Rice, Teel and the Scarlet Knights offense. There are so many intriguing matchups this game-

Rutgers OTs, Sosa and Zuttah, are very solid and I can't wait to see them go against Selvie.

Teel will face a big challenge in the Bulls pass D, but he has been mone this year. Mike Jenkins is a big, physical corner with speed who faces a big, physical wideout with speed in Kenny Britt. On the other side, Trae Williams is a burner who will be covering a speedy WR in Tiquan Underwood.

Ben Moffit vs. Ray Rice will be another one I can't wait to see. Two of the Big East's best going at it.

I'm curious to see how Courtney Greene and the Knights pass defense does on Matt Grothe. If Eric Foster and the front 7 can get some pressure on Grothe then that would set up the ballhawking Greene to make some big plays.

These 2 teams match up very evenly, it should be an amazing game. Rutgers probably has the best chance of upending anyone left on USFs schedule (Louisville has a chance too), and this could be a huge win for Rutgers that could throw them back into the thick of things in the Big East. I cannot wait for this game.

scottyboy
10-16-2007, 04:03 PM
this is nothing at all against USF, but i just dont think they're that good. i dont know why. Yea, they beat over rated WVU(they dominated), they beat a tough auburn team, and yes, RU has lost to then only decent teams they've played, but i think RU has more than "a chance" at winning this game.

Tampa 2 4 life
10-16-2007, 04:06 PM
Ben Moffit vs. Ray Rice will be another one I can't wait to see. Two of the Big East's best going at it.

I doubt you'll see that matchup a lot, The more likely one would be Tyrone Mackenzie Vs. Rice.

I'm curious to see how Courtney Greene and the Knights pass defense does on Matt Grothe. If Eric Foster and the front 7 can get some pressure on Grothe then that would set up the ballhawking Greene to make some big plays.

Why would you want pressure on Grothe just to roll out where his Deep Ball has been automatic the last few games? I'd rather Have LBers guard the flat and keep Grothe in the pocket while taking away his lateral passing game, in the pocket Grothe keeps over and underthrowing anything over 30 yards.

kwilk103
10-16-2007, 04:07 PM
if wvu's overrated, whats that make rugters?

we need rugters to win this game

especially if it gets chilly, i like their chances; i dont like grothe as a qb, and i think he will make a costly mistake

Tampa 2 4 life
10-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Another thing, if Rutgers wants a shot they better not make the Auburn mistake, in my eyes, Mike Teel = Brandon Cox, so he better not throw anything over 5-10 yards.

scottyboy
10-16-2007, 04:14 PM
if wvu's overrated, whats that make rugters?

we need rugters to win this game

especially if it gets chilly, i like their chances; i dont like grothe as a qb, and i think he will make a costly mistake

umm Rutgers isnt ranked, and WVU, despite playing like poo all year is ranked pretty high.

and teel needs to learn to hit the short routes and not bomb it every play. and the playcalling is sooooo predictable.

kwilk103
10-16-2007, 04:35 PM
wasnt rugters ranked top 12? that would mean they were overrated

whats the weather supposed to be? fla boys typically dont play well above the mason dixon line

josh07039
10-16-2007, 04:37 PM
umm Rutgers isnt ranked, and WVU, despite playing like poo all year is ranked pretty high.

and teel needs to learn to hit the short routes and not bomb it every play. and the playcalling is sooooo predictable.Teel really does need to learn to put touch on the ball instead of zipping it every time. Also, i'm hoping that the playcalling may get more varied. After all, we did use a flea flicker against Syracuse. Perhaps that is a sign of a more diversified playbook in the future. I'm so excited to be going to this game because it pretty much decides the season one way or the other.

Tampa 2 4 life
10-16-2007, 05:34 PM
wasnt rugters ranked top 12? that would mean they were overrated

whats the weather supposed to be? fla boys typically dont play well above the mason dixon line

Thank god It's not winter.

kwilk103
10-16-2007, 06:34 PM
it gets below 60 at night now; not exactly warm

scottyboy
10-16-2007, 06:37 PM
USF fans, hows your kicker? its windy up here in joisey, and Ito is a top 3 kicker in the nation. THis should come down to D, as both teams would be smart to limit the big passes and turnovers for the QB's. with that being said, kicker may be an important factor in this game.

kwilk103
10-16-2007, 06:55 PM
their kicker missed 2 or 3 fg vs auburn and 1 vs wvu

Tampa 2 4 life
10-16-2007, 08:02 PM
USF fans, hows your kicker? its windy up here in joisey, and Ito is a top 3 kicker in the nation. THis should come down to D, as both teams would be smart to limit the big passes and turnovers for the QB's. with that being said, kicker may be an important factor in this game.

He's not even really a kicker. He's a great punter who had to double duty on kicks.

Jonny
10-16-2007, 10:58 PM
He's not a great punter...

He has a big leg, I don't like his accuracy.

Giantsfan1080
10-17-2007, 01:46 PM
I think Rutgers matches up very well against South Florida on both sides of the ball. I really feel Ru will pull the upset even though Tell has me scared. He makes so many INT's where you really wonder what the hell he was thinking. We have 3 very good Wr's to open up the field and Rice is going to bring his A game tomorrow.

RyanLeaf#1
10-17-2007, 01:47 PM
I think Rutgers matches up very well against South Florida on both sides of the ball. I really feel Ru will pull the upset even though Tell has me scared. He makes so many INT's where you really wonder what the hell he was thinking. We have 3 very good Wr's to open up the field and Rice is going to bring his A game tomorrow.

I just think USF has to tough of a defense.

scottyboy
10-17-2007, 01:49 PM
I just think USF has to tough of a defense.

but not a great O, especially when up against a tough RU D. Hopefully D'Imperio is fully ready to go.our D has suffered big time w/o him this year

Giantsfan1080
10-17-2007, 01:51 PM
but not a great O, especially when up against a tough RU D. Hopefully D'Imperio is fully ready to go.our D has suffered big time w/o him this year

The Lb production has been the biggest reason for the two losses. We really need a playmaker their and I'm very suprised we haven't seen Abreu yet.

scottyboy
10-17-2007, 01:53 PM
The Lb production has been the biggest reason for the two losses. We really need a playmaker their and I'm very suprised we haven't seen Abreu yet.

I love Renkart. He's an animal. I'd love to see him outside with Abreu and D'Imperio. Munoz has been ok at best. Malast hasnt been too bad either. I think just not having "that guy" in the middle hurts us, why we need D"Imperio back. last year we were spoiled with D-Vraun

Giantsfan1080
10-17-2007, 01:57 PM
I love Renkart. He's an animal. I'd love to see him outside with Abreu and D'Imperio. Munoz has been ok at best. Malast hasnt been too bad either. I think just not having "that guy" in the middle hurts us, why we need D"Imperio back. last year we were spoiled with D-Vraun

Yeah I really though D'Imperio would have been back for a couple of weeks at this point. Munos and Malast have been decent but they lack the explosiveness and they seem to be a little "slow" on the field smarts wise. They react very badly to a lot of runs. The best LB corps we could throw out there as you said would be Abreu and Renkart on the outside and D'Imperio in the middle. Have you seen Abreu on the field at all?

NGSeiler
10-18-2007, 12:30 AM

6th in the nation in scoring offense, 9th in total offense, significant improvements on defense, yet WVU has been "playing like poo all year."

I love Rutgers fans. :rolleyes:

Jonny
10-18-2007, 04:19 AM
It's one fan. WVU fans should know a thing or two about sweeping generalizations.

I definitely want the big win tonight. I am a little uncomfortable with all of the BCS pretenders suddenly wanting us to win.

scottyboy
10-18-2007, 03:24 PM
6th in the nation in scoring offense, 9th in total offense, significant improvements on defense, yet WVU has been "playing like poo all year."

I love Rutgers fans. :rolleyes:

get a D and have a good O against a real team first. I'll admit, RU hasnt done jack against a real team yet, but neither has WVU

kwilk103
10-18-2007, 04:01 PM
how is 9th in total defense, not a d?

scottyboy
10-18-2007, 04:03 PM
how is 9th in total defense, not a d?

well considering who you've played, it's not overally impressive

kwilk103
10-18-2007, 04:37 PM
holding #2 usf to under 180 yds and 14 points?

less than 200 yds for ecu, and 'cuse

did better than rugters vs maryland, which we played @ maryland in a rivlary game

scottyboy
10-18-2007, 04:50 PM

did better than rugters vs maryland, which we played @ maryland in a rivlary game

USF is known for their D, dont pat yourself on the back there.

ECU? 'Cuse? come on

Tampa 2 4 life
10-18-2007, 05:01 PM

Mike Ford had a big part of that.

kwilk103
10-18-2007, 06:34 PM
wvu's defense did better against maryland

#9 in the country

at least we're not padding our stats against norfolk state

NGSeiler
10-18-2007, 11:02 PM
well considering who you've played, it's not overally impressive

It's not "playing like poo" either, which is the point.

For example, Rutgers tonight at home gave up 27 points to USF's offense, whereas WVU held them to 14 on the road. USF is a team averaging over 35 points offensively through six games. Seems somewhat impressive to me, but what do I know?

Thanks for knocking off the Bulls off, though. :D

Basileus777
10-18-2007, 11:11 PM
U-Conn is now in first place in the Big East.

kwilk103
10-18-2007, 11:21 PM
NG, you go to WVU?

and we will beat rugters next week; theyve never faced pat white and steve slaton; plus add in reynaud and devine and our much improved defense

and teel didnt throw any picks tonight, so hes due

NGSeiler
10-18-2007, 11:21 PM
U-Conn is now in first place in the Big East.

Which should last somewhere between 24 hours and a week. ;)

NG, you go to WVU?

Yes, grad student. You?

kwilk103
10-18-2007, 11:32 PM
yea, sophomore

NGSeiler
10-18-2007, 11:49 PM
yea, sophomore

So is it basically just you, DChess, and I representing the WVU fan base here then?

kwilk103
10-19-2007, 12:06 AM
i think, unless theres others

on another note, usf will go back to having 30,000 at their games

their fans are the definition of bandwagon

scottyboy
10-19-2007, 03:05 PM
wvu's defense did better against maryland

#9 in the country

at least we're not padding our stats against norfolk state

at least we beat USF.

and never faced White and Slaton? not for a full game because they get hurt every game. That's not our fault, they should either suck it up or train better. I love how you're so confident. Cant wait til Rice shreds you guys. Look what he did vs USF, and their D is better than yours.

kwilk103
10-19-2007, 03:44 PM
at least we beat USF.

and never faced White and Slaton? not for a full game because they get hurt every game. That's not our fault, they should either suck it up or train better. I love how you're so confident. Cant wait til Rice shreds you guys. Look what he did vs USF, and their D is better than yours.

'05----white and slaton were not starters
'06----slaton had over 120 yds, white out with high ankle sprain

usf has a better defense? http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=4&rpt=IA_teamtotdef&site=org

wvu #5; usf # 11; rugters #14

rushing defense: wvu #17; usf #26; rugters #45

pass defense: wvu #9, usf #15; rugters #5

rushing offense: wvu #2; rugters #32
passing offense: wvu #91; rugters 12
total offense: wvu #9; rugters #11

vs maryland

wvu 353 rush yds 7.4 ypa
rugters 82 rush yds 3.6 ypa
wvu 95 pass yds
rugters 310 yds
wvu 448 total yds
rugters 392

maryland vs wvu---89 rush yds (2.3 ypa); 180 pass yds; 269 total
maryland vs rugters---239 rush yds (4.1 ypa); 219 pass yds; 458 total

wvu----14 points rugters 34 points

vs usf
wvu---188 rush yds (3.9 ypa); 249 passing; 437 total
rugters---170 rush yds (4.0 ypa); 230 passing; 400 total

usf vs wvu----139 rush yds (3.7 ypa); 135 passing; 274 total
usf vs rugters----115 rush yds (3.0 ypa); 247 passing; 362 total

wvu gave up 13 points---rugters 27

wvu did better vs maryland; played better on defense vs usf; had 6 turnovers vs usf; 5 in usf territory, and took it to the wire

wvu will not lose to rugters

scottyboy
10-19-2007, 05:06 PM
wvu will not lose to rugters

ok, whatever you say there buddy. i mean, we only lost by 2 in double OT in WVA. you can say white was out, but Britt, Underwood, and Teel have all matured. Sure, rag teel all you want, but just wait, just wait. I'll let you do all the talking here, b/c i know, it's all gonna be coming from out your ass

kwilk103
10-19-2007, 05:21 PM
ok, whatever you say there buddy. i mean, we only lost by 2 in double OT in WVA. you can say white was out, but Britt, Underwood, and Teel have all matured. Sure, rag teel all you want, but just wait, just wait. I'll let you do all the talking here, b/c i know, it's all gonna be coming from out your ass

you lost to our back-up qb getting his 1st meaningful snaps; and white, slaton, and reynaud havent matured? the only way rugters wins if you get a bunch of turnovers like usf did

scottyboy
10-19-2007, 05:24 PM
you lost to our back-up qb getting his 1st meaningful snaps; and white, slaton, and reynaud havent matured? the only way rugters wins if you get a bunch of turnovers like usf did

we will see, we will see.

kwilk103
10-19-2007, 05:27 PM
i love rugters fans

2 good years following almost 100 pathetic ones, and they talk smack

and wvu wont be intimidated in your stadium; its a day game, it only holds 44,000 and your comin off an emotional win; whereas wvu has a nice warm-up game vs mississippi st

wvu wins by at least 7

scottyboy
10-19-2007, 05:30 PM
i love rugters fans

2 good years following almost 100 pathetic ones, and they talk smack

and wvu wont be intimidated in your stadium; its a day game, it only holds 44,000 and your comin off an emotional win; whereas wvu has a nice warm-up game vs mississippi st

wvu wins by at least 7

I love WVA fans. every year is there year that they finally get that NC. every year, ohh so close. Sure you've won BCS bowls in the past, and congrats, but let's see ya back up all that talk with a NC appearance once in a while.

What the hell does us coming off an emotional win have to do with it. The 'cuse game was more emotional than last nights. and we did just fine against them eh? but hey, keep talking, we just beat the team you've lost to, and you cant stop Rice, Underwood or Britt, but keep on talking

Philliez01
10-19-2007, 05:30 PM
I am a RU fan but I can't guarantee a win for either sides.

Remember I believe last year Townsend dropped a ball that would've won the game from RU. It was the most perfect pass Teel threw, it was a slant and it just fell out of his hands. Also Underwood was hurt.

In RU's defense, there are some major differences.

-While Teel hasn't been perfect, he has been doing what he's asked for the most part. Don't F up. While he has looked inconsistent, and at times like Morelli, he still has only lost what, 5 games in NCAA? I know others are better in that column (White) but he has improved a little bit in the past year. Underwood was hurt last year, I want to see an ankle injury? I'm unsure if he came back but I do remember him clutching his ankle. Kenny Britt was only inching his way into the lineup and Tim Brown only exploded in the Texas Bowl.

-Devraun Thompson graduated as did Leonard. While Rice has done magnificent in the starter's role, I think he has 70+ carries in the last two games, I think Corcoran should take some carries. Kordell is out for the year and I don't see anything. However, Tverdov (DT) looks better and I love Renkart / D'Imperio.

scottyboy
10-19-2007, 05:32 PM

Remember I believe last year Townsend dropped a ball that would've won the game from RU. It was the most perfect pass Teel threw, it was a slant and it just fell out of his hands. Also Underwood was hurt.

In RU's defense, there are some major differences.

-While Teel hasn't been perfect, he has been doing what he's asked for the most part. Don't F up. While he has looked inconsistent, and at times like Morelli, he still has only lost what, 5 games in NCAA? I know others are better in that column (White) but he has improved a little bit in the past year. Underwood was hurt last year, I want to see an ankle injury? I'm unsure if he came back but I do remember him clutching his ankle. Kenny Britt was only inching his way into the lineup and Tim Brown only exploded in the Texas Bowl.

-Devraun Thompson graduated as did Leonard. While Rice has done magnificent in the starter's role, I think he has 70+ carries in the last two games, I think Corcoran should take some carries. Kordell is out for the year and I don't see anything. However, Tverdov (DT) looks better and I love Renkart / D'Imperio.

all excellent points, but lyke, it doesnt matter cuz without any relevant reason, WVA will beat us cuz White and Slaton are so good. And hey, WVA shut down Elon, we cant compete with that.

Philliez01
10-19-2007, 05:34 PM
I am more worried about Devine and Slaton right now. White has had some injuries this season that have taken him out of games (I think USF and another one that I can't completely remember) but he's such a threat.

However, looking how RU put a spy on Grothe (finally) and the way they did it; I think they can do OK against White. Will they hold him under 50? Maybe not, but I don't think it will be a rape.

scottyboy
10-19-2007, 05:36 PM
I am more worried about Devine and Slaton right now. White has had some injuries this season that have taken him out of games (I think USF and another one that I can't completely remember) but he's such a threat.

However, looking how RU put a spy on Grothe (finally) and the way they did it; I think they can do OK against White. Will they hold him under 50? Maybe not, but I don't think it will be a rape.

I'm concerned about Devine the most, especailly on returns. White and Slaton just get hurt wayyyy to easily, and our D showed that we know how to be physical. Devine is an animal, plain and simple.

I predict Slaton or White leaves this game do to injury.

kwilk103
10-19-2007, 05:40 PM
white hurt his chest against 'cuse in the 3rd----it was goin be his last series anyways; theyre thinking about holding him out tomorrow, so he can be fully rested

and we didnt play elon; we dont play d-1aa teams; ecu---rod is friends with holtz; marshall----gov made us play that game; maryland--rivalry game; better than navy and norfolk st

you beat usf, yet we destroyed maryland; our defense and offense outperformed yours in both games (talkin about yardage; and we still almost beat usf)

and spying grothe and white are 2 different things; white is faster and more elusive than grothe

Basileus777
10-19-2007, 05:43 PM
Its about matchups. Rutgers matches up well with USF, USF matches up well against WVU.

Personally I've always been more worried about WVU than USF, our defense doesn't matchup well against them. Then again their defense doesn't matchup well either.

scottyboy
10-19-2007, 05:43 PM
white hurt his chest against 'cuse in the 3rd----it was goin be his last series anyways; theyre thinking about holding him out tomorrow, so he can be fully rested

and we didnt play elon; we dont play d-1aa teams; ecu---rod is friends with holtz; marshall----gov made us play that game; maryland--rivalry game; better than navy and norfolk st

you beat usf, yet we destroyed maryland; our defense and offense outperformed yours in both games (talkin about yardage; and we still almost beat usf)

and spying grothe and white are 2 different things; white is faster and more elusive than grothe

ooo ECU, even better. that was USF who beat Elon, my b. And i dont care why you played Marshall, you still played them, and they're bad. So sure, RU beat up on crappy teams, lost to 2 decent ones. But you go around saying how good your O and D are, when you've played worse teams than we have.

kwilk103
10-19-2007, 05:47 PM
western mich>buffalo
navy>ecu
marshall>norfolk st

teams you played worse

and how can you say our defense is bad, when we've essentially played the same teams, and ours has outperformed yours?

Buttered toast sonic
10-19-2007, 05:48 PM
as Good as WVU is, and they are still the biggest name team in the Big East, you have to figure if RU can knock out slaton and/or White, the team is that less explosive. Meanwhile, Ray rice just ran over the team that shut White and Slaton down.

This is a game that will be won or Lost through the Air.

scottyboy
10-19-2007, 05:49 PM
western mich>buffalo
navy>ecu
marshall>norfolk st

teams you played worse

and how can you say our defense is bad, when we've essentially played the same teams, and ours has outperformed yours?

you ignore the fact we played cincy and maryland.

and western mich> buf is highly debateable. but im not gonna argue which sucky teams sucks worse.

Also, I'm not the one going around praising RU's stats. I'm just sayin WVA's stats lie. stats can do that you know.

kwilk103
10-19-2007, 05:55 PM
you ignore the fact we played cincy and maryland.

and western mich> buf is highly debateable. but im not gonna argue which sucky teams sucks worse.

Also, I'm not the one going around praising RU's stats. I'm just sayin WVA's stats lie. stats can do that you know.

didnt include maryland cuz we both played them, and cincy we both play

how do stats lie? since the marshall game (when our defense started to click), we have given up 14, 7, 13, 14 for an average of 12 points per game

include the 1st 2 games where our defense was pathetic and its an average of 15.8 ppg (didnt include the int returned for td vs usf)

scottyboy
10-19-2007, 05:58 PM
didnt include maryland cuz we both played them, and cincy we both play

how do stats lie? since the marshall game (when our defense started to click), we have given up 14, 7, 13, 14 for an average of 12 points per game

include the 1st 2 games where our defense was pathetic and its an average of 15.8 ppg (didnt include the int returned for td vs usf)

wow, you shut down ecu, western michigan, cuse. no way was marshall shut down by you. and i wouldnt call the USF game shutting them down either. THe only team in the league that cant shut down cuse is lousiville. You havent faced one good, or very good O yet. Yea, USF has Grothe, but thats really it. Just a warning, you're in for a big surprise when you face Underwood, Rice, Britt, and Ito.

kwilk103
10-19-2007, 06:01 PM
giving up less than 290 yds and 14 points isnt shutting down usf? but rugters did? we shut down maryland, you didnt

if we havent faced a good offense, then you havent either, unless you consider cincy a good offense

NGSeiler
10-19-2007, 08:54 PM

I agree. With the way this season is going for all of college football, you really can't guarantee anything. Though I think WVU will come out on top, as long as our playmakers stay healthy, the game being at Rutgers worries me.

josh07039
10-19-2007, 11:14 PM
I am a Rutgers Fan as well as a student, as such I am hardly objective, but I will try my best. Obviously I believe Rutgers will win the game, i think Ray Rice will be able to run all over the WVU defense, and as long as Mike Teel doesn't turn it over the offense should be good. As for the Rutgers defense, I am slightly more concerned despite the great showing in the second half against USF. I just think that over pursuing could be more of a problem against white because he is more explosive that Grothe. Additionally, I am worried about Rutgers punt/kickoff coverage as they have shown themselves to be fairly inconsistent. Finally, Tim Brown needs to hold onto the ball on punts.

Jonny
10-20-2007, 03:51 AM
Rutgers hasn't sucked for 100 years.

Unless their secondary got a lot better, I think Teel is going to light them up. Actually, their backup Jarrett Brown is better suited to play us than White. We do a fairly good job stopping the option.

It's also funny how they fail to mention all of our injuries last year. The only reason we lost was because a third string WR dropped a pass.

Games are obviously all about matchups. We matched up better vs. USF. You did better vs. Maryland.

kwilk103
10-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Rutgers hasn't sucked for 100 years.

Unless their secondary got a lot better, I think Teel is going to light them up. Actually, their backup Jarrett Brown is better suited to play us than White. We do a fairly good job stopping the option.

It's also funny how they fail to mention all of our injuries last year. The only reason we lost was because a third string WR dropped a pass.

Games are obviously all about matchups. We matched up better vs. USF. You did better vs. Maryland.

the pass defense is in the top 15 in the country; overall defense is #5

scottyboy
10-20-2007, 11:39 AM
the pass defense is in the top 15 in the country; overall defense is #5

yes because ECU, Marshall, USF, Maryland, Western Michigan and 'cuse have outstanding passing attacks...

kwilk103
10-20-2007, 11:47 AM
did better vs maryland and usf than rugters did

scottyboy
10-20-2007, 11:49 AM
did better vs maryland and usf than rugters did

ok, I wont deny that. I'm not coming out saying how good our D is. And I'm pretty sure we beat usf.

NGSeiler
10-20-2007, 09:27 PM
yes because ECU, Marshall, USF, Maryland, Western Michigan and 'cuse have outstanding passing attacks...

You're right, because clearly WVU has been the only team in the NCAA thus far to have their rankings benefit from playing less talented teams.

scottyboy
10-21-2007, 07:51 AM
You're right, because clearly WVU has been the only team in the NCAA thus far to have their rankings benefit from playing less talented teams.

i never said that. That's why I've been so critical of USF, ASU, and Kansas. That guy was kept saying how amazing your D was, and I pointed out the fact you've yet to play a good offense...

NGSeiler
10-21-2007, 11:49 AM
That guy was kept saying how amazing your D was, and I pointed out the fact you've yet to play a good offense...

I agree with you to a point, but every team has padded their numbers by playing lesser competition. It's a valid argument, but in varying degrees it applies to everyone, not just WVU and the three teams you've mentioned.

For instance, is Rutgers really a top 15 offense in this league, or are they the beneficiary of putting up some big numbers on Buffalo, Navy, Norfolk, and Syracuse? You can have this discussion with just about every good team.

WVU will face their share of good offenses in the coming weeks though, and we'll see how they fare. But based on what we've seen thus far, it would be impossible to deny that the defense hasn't improved from last year. That's not just a matter of looking at stats, but of watching games also. The numbers back up what many WVU fans have been seeing on the field, but it does remain to be seen if that carries over to better competition.

bustabinary
10-21-2007, 12:39 PM
The second half of the MSU game yesterday was reminscient of last year's pass defense =x

kwilk103
10-21-2007, 12:43 PM
The second half of the MSU game yesterday was reminscient of last year's pass defense =x

they still only had 169 yds passing and 214 total

plus, watching the sidelines, after they got the 31-0 lead, they went into shutdown mode; they were jokin around and didnt play with any fire/passion

Giantsfan1080
10-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Another big game for the Big East Saturday. Rutgers is more of a dog at home than they were against South FLorida. I think we matched up much better against USF but this game is still going to be a good one.

RyanLeaf#1
10-24-2007, 10:02 AM
Another big game for the Big East Saturday. Rutgers is more of a dog at home than they were against South FLorida. I think we matched up much better against USF but this game is still going to be a good one.

I just think WVU has to many weapons. Plus it should be a night game, but its a 12 o'clock start.

Giantsfan1080
10-24-2007, 10:07 AM
I just think WVU has to many weapons. Plus it should be a night game, but its a 12 o'clock start.

Yeah it seems WV plays all 12 o'clock games. Weird.

RyanLeaf#1
10-24-2007, 10:17 AM

Yea, but its in Rutgers so when they scheduled it this year they should have made it a 8 o'clock game. Rutgers seems like they always pull the upsets at night.

Giantsfan1080
10-24-2007, 10:21 AM
Yea, but its in Rutgers so when they scheduled it this year they should have made it a 8 o'clock game. Rutgers seems like they always pull the upsets at night.

I'm not sure why it was scheduled so early but as you said the crowd isn't going to be as rowdy(drunk) as they would than for a night game. I hate the 12 games especially a big one like this.

RyanLeaf#1
10-24-2007, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure why it was scheduled so early but as you said the crowd isn't going to be as rowdy(drunk) as they would than for a night game. I hate the 12 games especially a big one like this.

Yea atleast make it a mid-day game let the crowd get some alcohol in them first. I dont see Rutgers winning this game at all.

Giantsfan1080
10-24-2007, 10:26 AM
Yea atleast make it a mid-day game let the crowd get some alcohol in them first. I dont see Rutgers winning this game at all.

I think they could based on last years game and our improvements on offense but again it's going to be up to Teel to not make mistakes. Our defense isn't good and we need some help at LB but I love our secondary and they should be playing up more to help in the run game. We have some really hard hitters so maybe we'll be able to nick up White or Slaton. It's going to be a close one but I'm not as confident as I was with USF.

RyanLeaf#1
10-24-2007, 10:28 AM
I think they could based on last years game and our improvements on offense but again it's going to be up to Teel to not make mistakes. Our defense isn't good and we need some help at LB but I love our secondary and they should be playing up more to help in the run game. We have some really hard hitters so maybe we'll be able to nick up White or Slaton. It's going to be a close one but I'm not as confident as I was with USF.

I just think if the defense plays up Reynaud will have a field day. You cant sleep on Devine or Reynaud. Plus they got big ol nasty Schmitt that can sneak a touchdown in their too.

kwilk103
10-24-2007, 12:35 PM
wvu has been using slaton a lot in the passing game---on wheel fly routes; he also's been back on kickoffs----returned his 1st one to about the 35 on sat (dropped 1st one, but there was a penalty); they line up devine/slaton/rivers(good return man; never calls a fair catch) in that order

i look for slaton and devine to be on the same field a lot more than have; and our 6'8 wr has quietly been gettin more involved; good hands/possession guy

when most teams have been worried about the wr on pass plays, we've thrown it out of the backfield to schmitt who is a good runner for his size

Tampa 2 4 life
10-24-2007, 02:38 PM
WVU needs to win this game for USF to be frontrunning the Big East again.

kwilk103
10-24-2007, 02:41 PM
doesnt matter usf will lose again

Tampa 2 4 life
10-24-2007, 02:44 PM

Last time I checked Ray Rice only plays for one team..

scottyboy
10-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Last time I checked Ray Rice only plays for one team..

haha thats gold. Ray Rice, he's not a power back, and not a speed back, just a back who seems to pick up crazy yardage. If RU can win this, they may just be in front for the big east. cincy will lose again, and uconn will to RU at the very least.

Tampa 2 4 life
10-24-2007, 02:53 PM
haha thats gold. Ray Rice, he's not a power back, and not a speed back, just a back who seems to pick up crazy yardage. If RU can win this, they may just be in front for the big east. cincy will lose again, and uconn will to RU at the very least.

He's like Mike Hart, he just refuses to go down. USF'll handle Uconn easily and we get Cincy and Louisville at home, the only game left I'm worried about is Pitt in pitt, because of the temperature.

RyanLeaf#1
10-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Rice tried giving USF the game when he fumbled, but terrible play calling caused USF to lose that game.

B-Dawk
10-24-2007, 06:58 PM
don't sleep on the huskies at home, i have a good feeling that we will pull off this upset, and continue leading the Big East

kwilk103
10-24-2007, 07:01 PM
don't sleep on the huskies at home, i have a good feeling that we will pull off this upset, and continue leading the Big East

i agree; but you gotta play in morgantown, not easy

scottyboy
10-24-2007, 07:04 PM

you play Rutgers, have your fun while it lasts. You'll lose to WVA and RU

Philliez01
10-24-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm glad to see UCONN bowl-eligible and all because they are Big East but some of their wins were beneficial of ref blunders.

They probably should've lost to Temple as it seemed their WR had that one foot down but the refs didn't overturn it. Both teams played competively and while I think Temple is finally looking halfway-to-acceptable, a Big East contender probably should blow them out. Then again, this is The Most ****** Up Year of CFB in history.

Also, I thought the L'Ville call was BS on the no flag. But the rule states that the ref has to see it, though I think it should have been a challengable (?) play.
___

Hope Rutgers wins against WVU obviously. I am excited as while I don't like WVU, they are a rather fun team to watch. I want to see how Rice does on the heels of all those carries, but I doubt that the "wear 'n tear" is a short-term thing. He is so well-conditioned that he's going to come out hard (no that's what she said), and physical against WVU's defense. Will it work? I would assume over a long period of time, but it all comes down to how RU can handle White, Devine, and Slaton. If they can contain them for one half, then this game could be legendary.

NGSeiler
10-24-2007, 07:57 PM

Except they don't. The Rutgers game will be only the third noon game WV has played this season. The others...

3:30pm vs. Western Michigan
11:10am @ Marshall
7:30pm @ Maryland
8:00pm vs. USF
3:30pm vs. Mississippi State

I'm looking for WVU to win this one for reasons others have mentioned. I think the Mountaineers simply have too many weapons for Rutgers to shut down, and while the defense hasn't improved to the point of shutting Ray Rice down they hopefully will be able to force Teel into making some mistakes.

scottyboy
10-24-2007, 08:08 PM
over under times Teel throws the ball: 25

Tampa 2 4 life
10-25-2007, 11:20 AM
over under times Teel throws the ball: 25

Under. Way Under.

NGSeiler
10-25-2007, 11:19 PM
The forecast for Saturday's WVU/Rutgers game is rain and perhaps a thunderstorm in the afternoon. High near 70F. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 80%.

B-Dawk
10-27-2007, 10:01 AM
you play Rutgers, have your fun while it lasts. You'll lose to WVA and RU

we have you guys at home, we were in the game last year, and we are much better on offense this year.

Philliez01
10-27-2007, 11:05 AM
we have you guys at home, we were in the game last year, and we are much better on offense this year.

Your running game is something to be worrisome (as in a RU fan like me would be worried about containing) about. Got a great duo. Lorenzen isn't the 2nd Coming but he is a nice, smart QB who can make the play when needed.

UCONN should be getting some pub I think, regardless of my opinion on how they won. They are ranked now and if they could possibly top USF? Then this team can be great soon.

NGSeiler
10-27-2007, 02:33 PM
Rutgers, meet Pat White. Pat White, meet Rutgers. :D

300 total yards by White, add in 124 combined rushing/receiving from Slaton, four combined touchdowns. Total domination on the ground by #5 and #10. Owen Schmitt with what could have been the highlight of the day with the Leonard Leap at Rutgers. What a great moment, have to find a video of that one. White is a warrior, he was getting hit all day and kept on ticking. That last big run to set up Slaton's third TD was tremendous. Slaton didn't get his 100 yards on the ground, but I'll take 73 yards and 3 touchdowns over 142 yards and no touchdowns.

WVU's defense holds Rutgers to three total points, helped out by Rutgers apparently forgetting you need to catch the football when it's thrown to you. D'oh! WVU defenders did their part forcing a few of those drops though, and while Ray Rice got his yards when it was all said and done, his longest was only 15 and he didn't reach the end zone. Teel didn't get much help, but those two picks were momentum killers. Ryan Mundy continues to make plays for this defense.

Very impressive performance by WVU on the road in poor conditions. A win and no significant injuries of note, and now a week off before the Thursday night game in Morgantown against Louisville.

scottyboy
10-27-2007, 02:36 PM
Rutgers, meet Pat White. Pat White, meet Rutgers. :D

300 total yards by White, add in 124 combined rushing/receiving from Slaton, four combined touchdowns. Total domination on the ground by #5 and #10. Owen Schmitt with what could have been the highlight of the day with the Leonard Leap at Rutgers. What a great moment.

WVU's defense holds Rutgers to three total points, helped out by Rutgers apparently forgetting you need to catch the football when it's thrown to you. D'oh! WVU defenders did their part forcing a few of those drops though, and while Ray Rice got his yards when it was all said and done, his longest was only 15 and he didn't reach the end zone.

Very impressive performance by WVU on the road in poor conditions.

props to Pat White. He anally raped our D. He took full advantage of our inexperienced LB's. Slaton's screen play and 1st TD run were all he really did, but damn they were huge. Our WR's didnt help teel at all, who is much better than everyone here says he is.
and that Schmitt leap was impressive, but not nearly as good as Leonards' were. I mean, McCourty is tiny and was diving, Leonard's Leap(trademarked) was over the illinois dude who was still practically standing up. McCourty was parallel to the ground.

NGSeiler
10-27-2007, 02:43 PM
props to Pat White. He anally raped our D. He took full advantage of our inexperienced LB's.

Indeed. White looked good, but Rutgers looked as if they forgot how to tackle. Combine that with forgetting how to catch, and you have to wonder what happened to the team that had just defeated USF.

Slaton's screen play and 1st TD run were all he really did, but damn they were huge.

Those two plays were huge indeed. As I said earlier, I'll take 73 rushing yards (51 on the screen) and three touchdowns over 142 yards and no touchdowns every weekend. Slaton may have only had two big plays, but that's two more than Ray Rice had.

Our WR's didnt help teel at all, who is much better than everyone here says he is.

Agreed, no help for Teel all day. But those two picks didn't look like the receivers' fault. Nice plays by WVU's defenders getting between the receiver and the ball. Wicks should have had two himself but he dropped both.

and that Schmitt leap was impressive, but not nearly as good as Leonards' were. I mean, McCourty is tiny and was diving, Leonard's Leap(trademarked) was over the illinois dude who was still practically standing up. McCourty was parallel to the ground.

You're hurting so I'll give you this one. ;)

scottyboy
10-27-2007, 02:47 PM
Indeed. White looked good, but Rutgers looked as if they forgot how to tackle. Combine that with forgetting how to catch, and you have to wonder what happened to the team that had just defeated USF.

Those two plays were huge indeed. As I said earlier, I'll take 73 rushing yards (51 on the screen) and three touchdowns over 142 yards and no touchdowns every weekend. Slaton may have only had two big plays, but that's two more than Ray Rice had.

Agreed, no help for Teel all day. But those two picks didn't look like the receivers' fault. Nice plays by WVU's defenders getting between the receiver and the ball. Wicks should have had two himself but he dropped both.

You're hurting so I'll give you this one. ;)

thanks for that one. god, it was just an awful game today. more kudos to white and slaton for not turning it over. i was thinking liek 3 turnovers for both teams in the 1st half. White and Slaton, although running alot and through traffic held on to the ball for the most part.(excluding he fumble on the 1)

NGSeiler
10-27-2007, 03:44 PM
thanks for that one. god, it was just an awful game today. more kudos to white and slaton for not turning it over. i was thinking liek 3 turnovers for both teams in the 1st half. White and Slaton, although running alot and through traffic held on to the ball for the most part.(excluding he fumble on the 1)

I was definitely worried about turnovers when I heard about the weather conditions yesterday. I really figured we'd be good for a fumble or two in the rain, and center Mike Dent did his best to try and cause a turnover with some more poor snaps. Man, I wish Gino Gradkowski was ready to take that job.

So at 7-1 and an impressive road win against Rutgers, I wonder if WVU can jump an idle Oklahoma to take the # 6 spot this week. It's probably too much to hope for a USC and California win today in their respective games, but that would certainly be helpful. Also, I can't help but wonder if the win last weekend against Mississippi State looks a bit better now that they went on to beat Kentucky on the road today.

UConn over USF right now 16-0 in the second quarter, go Huskies!

scottyboy
10-27-2007, 03:48 PM
I was definitely worried about turnovers when I heard about the weather conditions yesterday. I really figured we'd be good for a fumble or two in the rain, and center Mike Dent did his best to try and cause a turnover with some more poor snaps. Man, I wish Gino Gradkowski was ready to take that job.

So at 7-1 and an impressive road win against Rutgers, I wonder if WVU can jump an idle Oklahoma to take the # 6 spot this week. It's probably too much to hope for a USC and California win today in their respective games, but that would certainly be helpful. Also, I can't help but wonder if the win last weekend against Mississippi State looks a bit better now that they went on to beat Kentucky on the road today.

UConn over USF right now 16-0 in the second quarter, go Huskies!

with a huskies win, you guys virtually lock up the big east. Uconn will lose to both you and RU. i see cal winning and you guys moving up. Unless you guys choke it away, the big east is yours.

NGSeiler
10-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Unless you guys choke it away

Which is what worries me. I've been watching WVU football too long to not be at least partially concerned about them stumbling somewhere else along the way.

B-Dawk
10-28-2007, 11:20 AM
Still in the driver seat for the big east. That game was amazing. First win over a ranked team. It was so tense that second half, don't even get me started with that last possession. I'm not a huge proponent of rushing the field, but did it anyways. I think historically we were in the right in doing so.

BigBlue58KiperIII
11-01-2007, 07:08 PM
UConn is in control of their own destiny. I agree with you B-Dawk I think we had the right to rush the field because I dont agree with it usually and I didnt because i had to get back to campus but we deserved it, that win was huge. But of course we're still getting no respect from ESPN and we're a fluke and the refs have handed us all our wins blah blah blah. That's Bull.

Rutgers should be a good defensive battle I think Mike Teel's play will ultimately decide the game. He's going to make some mistakes. Go Huskies

NGSeiler
11-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Not looking good for USF right now, down 31-14 in the first quarter against Cincy.

art vandelay
11-06-2007, 02:39 PM

Going down to SU this week baby!

NGSeiler
11-09-2007, 12:25 AM
Got home from the game a little bit ago. Very good game from a competitive standpoint, back and forth and what not. Would have been nice to see our offense actually do something in the second half before Louisville tied it up. I really think we're missing guys like Mozes and Sheffey on the offensive line because Slaton just isn't getting the blocking he used to get. Pat White is a warrior, I was happy he got that touchdown run to clinch it after fumbling on that huge hit. This rivalry is getting better and better, and I knew this wouldn't be an easy game because of it. Good win tonight, hopefully there's another one waiting in Cincy coming up.

kwilk103
11-09-2007, 12:33 AM
Got home from the game a little bit ago. Very good game from a competitive standpoint, back and forth and what not. Would have been nice to see our offense actually do something in the second half before Louisville tied it up. I really think we're missing guys like Mozes and Sheffey on the offensive line because Slaton just isn't getting the blocking he used to get. Pat White is a warrior, I was happy he got that touchdown run to clinch it after fumbling on that huge hit. This rivalry is getting better and better, and I knew this wouldn't be an easy game because of it. Good win tonight, hopefully there's another one waiting in Cincy coming up.

1. i didnt realize how big of a loss mozes and sheffey were until the marshall game; i really underappreciated the values of those guys

2. im also surprised at how quickly this is becoming one of our biggest rivals; from being down 17 2 yrs ago, to being #3 and losing last year, and now winning this year; could be a good one

3. what do you think of the playcalling? i think it has sucked most of the year---usf game and now tonight; seriously, theres 1:50 to go in the half, with 3 timeouts and we decide to run the clock out; then on the white fumble, that was his 6th carry up the middle in a row

4. what you think of the defense 2nite? they did give up 31 points, but kept us from losing, cuz rod and the offense thought the game was only 3 quarters; also made plays when we needed them

NGSeiler
11-09-2007, 01:02 AM
1. i didnt realize how big of a loss mozes and sheffey were until the marshall game; i really underappreciated the values of those guys

2. im also surprised at how quickly this is becoming one of our biggest rivals; from being down 17 2 yrs ago, to being #3 and losing last year, and now winning this year; could be a good one

3. what do you think of the playcalling? i think it has sucked most of the year---usf game and now tonight; seriously, theres 1:50 to go in the half, with 3 timeouts and we decide to run the clock out; then on the white fumble, that was his 6th carry up the middle in a row

4. what you think of the defense 2nite? they did give up 31 points, but kept us from losing, cuz rod and the offense thought the game was only 3 quarters; also made plays when we needed them

1. Agreed. I have not been overly impressed with our interior line. Dent has been inconsistent and his poor snaps have really cost us in a couple of games. It doesn't seem like we've found the guy at RG since Figner is now there after shifting in from tackle. Also you have to wonder how much the loss of Rick Trickett is affecting this unit.

2. Yeah, this one is becoming good. You can see the players are getting heated about it as well with the number of times things were close to boiling over.

3. I have my issues with the playcalling. Personally I'm not a big fan of these empty backfield sets. I think we'd force defenses to think a bit more if we had Slaton in the backfield instead of in the slot as a WR. I would prefer to see more 4 WR sets with play action to Slaton or another RB. On the second to last drive, I was frustrated that Rod just kept running White. Seemed like a good way to get him hurt, and I was getting nervous. We need to be able to depend on our RB to grind games out, and I thought whenever he was running north-south with a lead blocker, Slaton was doing well. But when he was running the parallel zone plays without much blocking up front, he was in trouble.

4. Defense played well, all things considered. Stout against the run and though Brohm had his share of yards I thought the secondary was solid. Many of those passes came on blitz plays where they didn't get to Brohm in time. WVU's been better this season at getting pressure on the QB; Dingle has really stepped up for us. Wicks was a playmaker today, very impressed by his game. Personally I thought the DPI call against Lankster prior to the Urrutia touchdown was BS; looked like both guys were making some pretty minor contact with one arm each. This defense needs to find a way to defend crossing routes better though. Seems like something is getting lost in zone defense when a WR drags across the field.

kwilk103
11-09-2007, 01:11 AM
i think lankster is gonna be real good next year; i think that was his 1st td given up this year

has a ton of break-ups and picks; always seems to have good coverage too

mundy has been solid; i was expecting a lot worse from what i heard from um fans, but he has been real solid; imo, i think one of the reasons the defense has improved

did you see schmitt head butt his helmet after his horrible punt?

NGSeiler
11-09-2007, 01:25 AM
did you see schmitt head butt his helmet after his horrible punt?

Yeah, I thought he was trying to add to his broken facemask total. ;)

NGSeiler
11-24-2007, 11:46 AM
Alright, getting ready to head out for the WVU/UConn game. Corso and Herbstreit are predicting a 3-4 TD win for WVU; I hope they're right. Rod needs to make sure these guys are playing one game at a time and not thinking ahead to a potential national title game. Talent-wise I think we have a clear advantage and it's a home game, but it's not always about talent. Winning the turnover battle today will be key. Let's go, Mountaineers!

kwilk103
11-24-2007, 11:51 AM
we control our own destiny

crowd should be pumped; biggest game since '93

leavin at 1:30 for the game

NGSeiler
11-24-2007, 07:20 PM
One word: DOMINANCE.

Follow that up with three more: BIG EAST CHAMPS.

:D :D :D

DChess
11-25-2007, 03:13 PM
i think im going to new orleans if we go to the national championship. i hope i get tickets to pitt, but i didnt get them for the louisville game, im kinda pissed.

kwilk103
11-25-2007, 03:45 PM
im definitely goin to new orleans

DChess
11-25-2007, 03:55 PM

i think i should become a maniac, probably have to be if theres a bus that goes down there

NGSeiler
11-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Definitely have to beat Pitt first, but I think this is a mature team that knows what's on the line. Furthermore, we're talking about a home game to end the season against a Wannstedt-led Pittsburgh. I think we make another statement in this game on our way to a national title, but we can't get caught looking past them.

I'm also hoping to make a New Orleans appearance if that's where we're headed, for what it's worth. If I hear about any good deals on tickets or anything, I'll pass the word along to my fellow Mountaineer faithful. :)

DChess
11-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Definitely have to beat Pitt first, but I think this is a mature team that knows what's on the line. Furthermore, we're talking about a home game to end the season against a Wannstedt-led Pittsburgh. I think we make another statement in this game on our way to a national title, but we can't get caught looking past them.

I'm also hoping to make a New Orleans appearance if that's where we're headed, for what it's worth. If I hear about any good deals on tickets or anything, I'll pass the word along to my fellow Mountaineer faithful. :)

sounds good to me :)

scottyboy
11-25-2007, 08:52 PM
just wanna say congrats to WVA. hoping you beat pitt as you are the most deserving team out of the big east. I honestly feel the seasons this year from Cincy, Uconn and RU were flukes. I know RU should've beaten Uconn and cincy, but damn you guys wiped the floor with us. congrats, and rep the big east well!

DChess
11-25-2007, 08:56 PM
just wanna say congrats to WVA. hoping you beat pitt as you are the most deserving team out of the big east. I honestly feel the seasons this year from Cincy, Uconn and RU were flukes. I know RU should've beaten Uconn and cincy, but damn you guys wiped the floor with us. congrats, and rep the big east well!

thanks scottyboy, this just isnt a win for wvu, its a win for the big east conference.

also interesting article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3126269&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos2

flat out calls wvu the best team in the country right now and says they would rape osu.

NGSeiler
12-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Well, what can you say. 100th edition of the Backyard Brawl; this was Pitt's bowl game. We've been saying it all year - turnovers are the killer of this WVU team and they turned it over three times tonight. Two fumbles by two different QBs, a fumble on the second half kickoff, two missed field goals. The Mountaineers can play with anyone in college football when they're firing on all cylinders, but can get beat by anyone as well when they make these kinds of mistakes. And credit to Pittsburgh as well, as they played a hard game, ran the ball well and controlled the clock, tackled well and didn't get pushed around at the line of scrimmage. One of the most heartbreaking losses I've ever seen, but this is still a Big East championship team that is still BCS bowl bound. Have to take pride in that.

NYGibril28
12-01-2007, 11:48 PM

Have fun!!!