PDA

View Full Version : Philip Wheeler -OLB- Georgia Tech

Crow
08-29-2007, 06:56 AM
Is this guy anywhere near as good as his stats/profile would seem to indicate?

http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/wheeler_philip00.html
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/philipwheeler.html

89 tackles, 14.5 TFL, 9 sacks, 5 PBUs in '06. He had 4 picks in '05. I haven't watched enough GT to form an opinion on the guy, but I imagine some of you guys have. Is this guy legit?

moc182
08-29-2007, 07:57 AM
He's a very good linebacker, flies all over the place and is in on a ton of plays. Tenuta's scheme makes it much easier for linebackers to shine, so that could be the biggest knock on him coming out, but I thin he's a day one pick regardless.

Vikes99ej
08-29-2007, 09:24 AM
He's a very good linebacker, flies all over the place and is in on a ton of plays. Tenuta's scheme makes it much easier for linebackers to shine, so that could be the biggest knock on him coming out, but I thin he's a day one pick regardless.

Exactly, which is why I am hesitant to say he's a day day lock. KaMichael Hall and Gerris Wilkinson have both had careers in that defense. Wilkinson was picked in the third round, but I have no idea where Hall is now.

The player to watch out for on Tech's defense is DE Michael Johnson.

Stufazz
08-29-2007, 11:52 AM
he has good speeds and will probably project as a weakside linebacker. has good pass rushing ability along with great athletiscm and uses that too make his plays. Around 6'2 225lbs

etk
08-29-2007, 12:26 PM
He's one of the premier WLB prospects in the draft. Another one of those guys who flies all over the field and makes plays. I haven't seen a GT game where he wasn't a standout, I'd say he's better than Wilkinson or Hall.

draftguru151
08-29-2007, 10:22 PM
Wheeler is a great playmaker at LB. Great athlete and very good at blitzing and in coverage. Fits in a lot of different schemes, I think he can be a very good player as a MLB in the tampa 2.

Crow
08-30-2007, 06:39 AM
Any chance he could project to SAM? Oakland needs a SAM backer like a junkie needs a fix.

draftguru151
08-30-2007, 08:34 AM
That's probably the one spot he doesn't project to.

Crow
08-31-2007, 07:51 AM

Big_Pete
09-21-2007, 10:13 PM
Could Wheeler play ILB in a 3-4?

Mr. Stiller
09-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Could Wheeler play ILB in a 3-4?

Possibly Mack, but I don't think he's a great fit.

toonsterwu
09-21-2007, 10:27 PM
Love Phillip Wheeler. He's just got good instincts. As with most linebackers, unless you are of rare physical ability (the AJ Hawk's), it'll come down to a numbers game, so his workouts will be key. I really like him, but some reports have him closer to a 4.7, which would hurt him. Reminds me a bit of DeMeco Ryans, and as such, I agree with dg in that, I think his ideal spot might be as a 4-3 Mike backer ... although he could project to the weakside. He actually works fine as a cover 2 SAM backer, IMO. Not ideal, but he'd be fine. Most indications I've heard are that he's frame maxed ... so 3-4 OLB isn't likely. 3-4 ILB is not a good fit either. Could he handle it? Perhaps ... but not ideal.

etk
09-22-2007, 08:41 AM
Love Phillip Wheeler. He's just got good instincts. As with most linebackers, unless you are of rare physical ability (the AJ Hawk's), it'll come down to a numbers game, so his workouts will be key. I really like him, but some reports have him closer to a 4.7, which would hurt him. Reminds me a bit of DeMeco Ryans, and as such, I agree with dg in that, I think his ideal spot might be as a 4-3 Mike backer ... although he could project to the weakside. He actually works fine as a cover 2 SAM backer, IMO. Not ideal, but he'd be fine. Most indications I've heard are that he's frame maxed ... so 3-4 OLB isn't likely. 3-4 ILB is not a good fit either. Could he handle it? Perhaps ... but not ideal.

I really think he has the perfect skillset for 3-4 ILB, especially in a blitzing scheme like Pittsburgh's. The problem is that, like you said, he would need to put on about 10 lbs, and that would be difficult. He could still be a solid sideline-to-sideline MLB like Ryans, but that would take away his greatest asset, his blitzing instincts.

09-22-2007, 08:48 AM

yea i agree much like demeco ryans and a LB thats all over the place like him could really make an impact at the next level

Big_Pete
09-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Whilst 3-4 ILB may not be his ideal spot, I think he could probably play it quite well depending on the style of 3-4 a team uses.

He isn't the traditional Thumper for ILB. But I think could be used very much in a similar style that the Chargers used Donnie Edwards.

vatech=accdomination
09-24-2007, 08:22 AM
he is my favorite LB in the draft, he hits like a truck.

Big_Pete
09-27-2007, 09:05 AM
I think Wheeler is most likely to get drafted as a WLB or maybe a tampa 2 MLB (there are other linebackers who are better fits for other positions / systems).

I don't see the system at GT as a problem for these systems; after all, most 4-3 WLBa and the Tampa 2 MLB are really geared to use speed and athleticism to make plays.

As a WLB prospect how does he compare with Rivers and Conners?

GT's scheme is LB friendly and puts Wheeler in a position to make plays.

Rivers is probably under rated, being overshadowed by Melualuga and Cushing

whilst Conners has benefited by playing alongside Poslunzy, Shaw and Lee

toonsterwu
09-27-2007, 01:27 PM
Short answers: I think Rivers is the better athlete and that Connors may be a bit better against the run than Wheeler, but as of now, I think Wheeler has the best instincts of the bunch (obviously, all of this is fairly debatable).

Sniper
09-27-2007, 01:33 PM
key. I really like him, but some reports have him closer to a 4.7, which would hurt him.

Hence the difference between game speed and timed speed. He looks SO much faster than a 4.7 when I watch him.

tylerb929
09-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Wilkinson was picked in the third round, but I have no idea where Hall is now.

KaMichael Hall was picked up by the Colts as an UDFA hoping the could groom him in the mold of Cato June. He didn't play up to a lot of peoples expectations (didn't really see him play much though) and missed the last preseason game due to a hamstring injury. Therefore he was waived before the season began and didn't make the team, I believe he is still a free agent, I don't think he's on anyone's practice squad either?

toonsterwu
09-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Hence the difference between game speed and timed speed. He looks SO much faster than a 4.7 when I watch him.

I don't disagree, but at the LB position, the lack of top "tools" may hurt a player's draft status at times.

sweetd20
09-28-2007, 05:30 PM
Also if you have seen any G-Tech games he shows that he's not a 4.7 guy. The problem with the 40 is unless you are a track guy or put in an ungodly amount of time practicing coming out of the blocks you can lose .2 of a second right away.

I've caught every GT game so far this year and have focused on Wheeler. The guy can play and because he's not one of the bigger guys he plays with that Thomas, Fletcher, or Fields chip on his shoulder. For only having a supposed 4.7 he can cover RBs, TEs, and have even seen him in tight coverage down the field against WRs. Throw on top of that his nose for the ball and ability to get through traffic and you have a pretty good LB. He doesn't have the elite measurables to cement him into the 1st round but he should make what ever team that finally pulls the trigger very happy. He's near the top of my list for guys I'd like to see Detroit look at to play MLB in their Cover 2 scheme.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-28-2007, 05:33 PM
I really like Wheeler alot. I think he has some serious potential.