PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Annual NFLDC Pre-season Power Rankings: #28

nobodyinparticular
08-29-2007, 03:31 PM
So here we are, ready to round out the top 5 of the draft. We have a bit of a surprise with the Chiefs falling out of the playoffs into the #4 spot in the draft.

32. Oakland Raiders
31. Cleveland Browns
30. Atlanta Falcons
29. Kansas City Chiefs

The teams in this poll are the ones selected by you the fan in the recent nomination thread. So no complaints on who is available. If you could continue to give a list of the teams that should be on the following polls, I would appreciate it. That way we make sure we get the teams that you people will actually vote for as choices. So let's get the poll underway.

neko4
08-29-2007, 03:33 PM
I'll say MIA, bad at QB, bad at Line, average WR core. Good Defense, but we saw last year w/ OAK that D doesnt win alot of games

nobodyinparticular
08-29-2007, 03:39 PM
I'll say MIA, bad at QB, bad at Line, average WR core. Good Defense, but we saw last year w/ OAK that D doesnt win alot of games

I'll agree that I don't like Miami's options at receiver. I know everyone loves Chambers but I'm not buying what he's selling. He seems far too inconsistent for my tastes. I don't like the Miami line (sorry guru) and I certainly don't like their QB situation. I actually like Ginn as a WR--at least his potential to play well at WR, but it doesn't seem like Miami is going to have him very high on the depth chart.

That said, Minnesota seems to be in the same situation as Miami, but I feel they are worse at QB and not quite as good on defense. They seem to be project for a better running game though. Eh... I don't know... I really, really don't like Jackson this year.

neko4
08-29-2007, 03:41 PM
I'll agree that I don't like Miami's options at receiver. I know everyone loves Chambers but I'm not buying what he's selling. He seems far too inconsistent for my tastes. I don't like the Miami line (sorry guru) and I certainly don't like their QB situation. I actually like Ginn as a WR--at least his potential to play well at WR, but it doesn't seem like Miami is going to have him very high on the depth chart.

That said, Minnesota seems to be in the same situation as Miami, but I feel they are worse at QB and not quite as good on defense. They seem to be project for a better running game though. Eh... I don't know... I really, really don't like Jackson this year.

For once I'll argue for Minny. If AD stays healthy this team will do somewhat better than MIA. But yeah, theyre about equal

nobodyinparticular
08-29-2007, 03:43 PM
For once I'll argue for Minny. If AD stays healthy this team will do somewhat better than MIA. But yeah, theyre about equal

I understand that the running game, especially with AD, should be very good. I just really don't like Jackson.

nobodyinparticular
08-29-2007, 03:46 PM
i don't know how you can overlook the obvious impact ginn will have on miami.

Absolutely. But he can only have an impact if he's on the field. Right now he's looking at being the 3rd or 4th string WR and the 2nd string returner on punts and kickoffs. Where's the point in that?

He is a dynamic playmaker on returns and he can be a playmaker on offense as well, but the Dolphins aren't using him on the field in any of those roles as of right now.

M.O.T.H.
08-29-2007, 03:48 PM
I'll go Titans here.

KCJ58
08-29-2007, 03:55 PM
Texans all the way

Jonny
08-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Giants shouldn't be anywhere near the list at this point.

M.O.T.H.
08-29-2007, 04:59 PM
Dolphins have a lot more talent than the Titans...I dont get what's going on in the poll.

nobodyinparticular
08-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Giants shouldn't be anywhere near the list at this point.

For future polls: If not the Giants, then who?

scottyboy
08-29-2007, 05:15 PM

redskins, and possibly the packers...

TimD
08-29-2007, 05:58 PM
when this is done i'll use the power rankings to make a mock draft....

neko4
08-29-2007, 06:01 PM

thats way too easy of a question, detroit

nobodyinparticular
08-29-2007, 06:29 PM
when this is done i'll use the power rankings to make a mock draft....

That's the plan Stan.

etk
08-30-2007, 08:39 AM
tennessee by about 34985723495 miles. these are power rankings, and based on team talent, tennessee should've been picked far sooner.

I agree. I'm baffled by Tennessee's persistence in these rankings.

etk
08-30-2007, 08:42 AM
Dolphins have a lot more talent than the Titans...I dont get what's going on in the poll.

Did you not see the Rose Bowl!?! Vince Young will not allow the Titans to be a bottom 5 team. Secretly they've improved at every position too, even WR. You just don't know it yet. Chris Brown & Pudge White are a lethal RB duo.

nobodyinparticular
08-30-2007, 12:09 PM
Did you not see the Rose Bowl!?! Vince Young will not allow the Titans to be a bottom 5 team. Secretly they've improved at every position too, even WR. You just don't know it yet. Chris Brown & Pudge White are a lethal RB duo.

OOoohhh.... Pudge White. Me likey. +rep for you my friend.

Shiver
08-30-2007, 01:15 PM
I am preferential to "LenWhale" White, but that's just me.

Shiver
08-30-2007, 01:21 PM
Do you mean why did I vote for Miami?

Shiver
08-30-2007, 01:36 PM
The one thing the Dolphins have going for them the past five or so years is their defense. To me they are eerily similar to the '06 Buccaneers, who only the year before had the #1 yardage defense fell to the bottom half of the NFL. When defenses age it is a very slippery slope, it's impossible to predict exactly when but is readily identifiable when it happens. Their core has had a nice run, but when your best players are in their mid-30s it's bound to happen eventually.

On the offensive side I think they have the worst O-Line in football. Trent Green is one hit away from being retired prematurely. Ronnie Brown has yet to prove himself as a feature RB, he may be one of those backs who just needs to be a in committee. Playing behind said O-Line won't do him any favors, either. Worst of all they've assembled a WR corp. that has the worst hands I've ever seen from a collective unit. Chris Chambers has been the most overrated WR in the NFL; he only puts up good stats because his targets are always at the top of the entire league, he just doesn't catch most of them. Then they draft Derek Hagan and Ted Ginn Jr., two guys not known for their hands.

For Tennessee, they have a young defense that I think can be average. They have a great O-Line and Vince Young on offense. At worst those two things will keep them out of the cellar. I certainly don't think they will be as good as last year, but I could see them sneaking in 5-6 wins. That is more than I can say about Miami.

awfullyquiet
08-30-2007, 01:45 PM
i still don't understand how minnesota doesn't get more votes.

everyones really that high on them eh?

Flyboy
08-30-2007, 01:50 PM
i still don't understand how minnesota doesn't get more votes.

everyones really that high on them eh?

That's the team I voted for.

nobodyinparticular
08-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Looking back over the last 6-7 seasons, there are 2 courses the standings often go.

1. You have 3-4 absolutely terrible teams with only a couple wins and a lot more teams with 6, 7 and 8 wins.

or

2. You have no one who is absolutely abominable with a team or two going 4-12 but a crapload of teams with only 5 or 6 wins.

In this case, I see there being no one as absolutely terrible, but a lot of teams lumped together in the 5-6 win group. I expect almost everyone on this list here to be in that range.

So I don't feel I'm "high" on any of these teams (except maybe being a sucker for the "Eli Manning is going to breakout" line), but just that someone has to be first and so that is the team that I feel is the worst. In this case, I voted for Tennessee because their overall talent level is not as high as the others. On defense they have Hope, Bullock and Vanden Bosch. On offense... Ummmm... Yeah. At least Minnesota has a solid defense and good RBs. And Miami has a very good front 7 and a better running game than Tennessee.

awfullyquiet
08-30-2007, 03:01 PM
then it's a disagreement on defense. i don't buy that taylor and thomas will drop off that precipitously this year, and assuming that they don't, miami's defense is enough to keep them in the 6-10/7-9 range, imo, with the team they have right now. tennessee's overall talent is so lackluster, i don't see how they can win 6 games unless every team in the NFL forgets vince young can run the ball. he's not vick on the run and i think he's absolutely containable if your defense is fairly athletic. he's still not proved that he can consistently throw at an NFL level.

i agree with your analysis on miami. i mean. with a running back. someone functional at quarterback. and a decent defense. there's no reason why they can't go 6-10. oakland didn't have any of those last year, and it showed.

sure, they both had issues on the line, but ronnie brown + trent green = maybe enough to get seven with the miami D.

tenn is just a real crapshoot. jeff fisher. eh. and what's his face. pudge?
i don't dislike their odds for also going 6-10. and that's still better than Minn, TB, and the Giants in my book. all three of those should be going 5-11.

nobodyinparticular
08-31-2007, 01:40 PM
Tennessee it is. And Miami right behind.