PDA

View Full Version : Thule's 10 NFL Truths

thule
08-29-2007, 05:19 PM
This seems to be the educated fan thing to do. Since most of the major topics are taken you might see me go off the wall with some hunchs.

1. Most Improved for 2007

Let the big dogs eat. Mark me down for someone who thinks the AFC North is much more of a crap shoot than others think.
The steelers have the new coach in town. Big Ben is always going to be a guy who is right around 60% completion percentage. Willie is a great back but the loss of wisenhunt will show this season...I don't seem him averaging mid 4's like he has his whole career. 3.8 would be my guess at this point. Their starting D has put up great preseason numbers. But it really comes down to can you put a game on Big Ben's shoulders and I don't see it. Steelers although an overall solid team will finish in the bottom of the division.
The Ravens are what they are. They are going to be a top 3 defense again this year. They are going to smack you in the mouth and win the turnover battle. However McNair is another year older and still looks apprehensive when going down field multiple times a game. McGahee was an upgrade for the running game but I think his difference is going to be catching out of the backfield something that JLew wasn't great at.
The Bengals are going to put up big numbers. I still hate their defense. Carson Palmer is by far the best QB in the division yet he can't get out there and quarterback the defense. The defense while somewhat talented just lacks that vocal leader presence that good defenses have. With the Division as tough as it is defensively this year I just can't see the Bengals escaping with more than 3 divisional games.
The Browns are back. Call me crazy but I'm drinking the Crennel Cool-Aid. This team is getting very solid along the OL. Have talent everywhere on offense. If JLew can proove that he can still run hard in the league it should take some pressure off of who is in at QB. By the time Quinn get's set into the Saddle this team is going to be fun to watch. Although their 3-4 defense is still lacking some talent...they have above average corner play and Wimbley is in for a double season sack total...which will only let the other players in the front 7 to play better. This is a team that if can stay healthy over the course of the season could be looking at an 8-8 record and win atleast 3 divisional games. That is a huge improvement from a team that hasn't won a divisional game in how long?

2. The Rise of the Second Year QB
The top 3 QB's in the league is set. But after that their is alot going on. A lot of teams went a different direction with their qb's last year and a lot of them worked. With a year in the system expect bigger things this year.

Jon Kitna, has another great target to throw too in CJ. Furrey and Roy should put up big numbers in year two as well. Their is going to be a major aerial attack going on in Detriot this year and it's going to be fun to watch.
Phillip Rivers, a guy who was pretty efficient last year should only improve. With Norv in town look for a higher completion percentage. Timing is everything in this offense and with LT in the backfield Rivers should be up around 65% which would tie Peyton Manning last year.
J.P. Losman, came out last year and really quieted the critics last year. The loss of McGahee will hurt but Lynch should be good enough to keep the pressure of Losman. Evans is looking to put up career numbers again and Losman is going to be putting up.
Steve McNair, I know I said he didn't like to go down the field earlier. But this guy still is a great game manager with playmaking ability. McNair's leadership is what is going to make that offense tick this year. With another year in the offense look for McNair to be sharp and decisive in his reads. Mark Clayton should have a career year this year if everything goes right.
Tony Romo, Garrett has put Romo in a great position this year. The offense is very similar to last years but their are a few slight differences. Garrett imported the timing scheme very similar to Norvs up in SD. This will allow Romo to be more decisive in the pocket not having to wait for anything to develop. TO is not just stuck as the X WR this year. He is moving all over the field. I'm sure many of people heard that he couldn't get off the LOS last year without being forced outside well this year he doesn't have to. He is moving all over playing in the slot, going in motion all kinds of things to keep him from getting shaded to the outside with cloud coverage over the top. Look for atleast 100 catches this year for TO. Romo will break Dallas Cowboys passing records in yards this year...count on it.
Matt Leinart, with Wisenhunt in town the attempt's may go down but the running game should improve as well as time in the pocket. With a bolstered running game Leinart won't have to see as many double coverage/help in the secondary. Teams won't have the stack the box with 8 guys but they won't be able to sit with safeties deep all game like last year either. Look for Leinart to be more efficient this year.
Vince Young, this could be an exception to the rule. He just doesn't seem to have anyone to throw the ball too. They lost Travis Henry. Their offense is really on his back and will go as far as he can take them. I love Vince but I have a feeling he will be the only sophmore slump QB this year.
Jason Campbell, another year in Gibb's system this year he has some experience on the field. Has plenty of targets this season I look for Cooley to be towards the top in receptions this year. The redskins are going to run the football which means Campbell has a great opprutunity to go down the field this year. Look for him to be towards the top of the league in plus 20 yard completitions.
Jay Cutler, I'm not going to go as in detail since it seems to be an exhausted subject. But yes he has that swagger, yes he has Travis Henry to hand off too to take the pressure off of him. Yes he has a huge target to throw to in Brandon Marshall. He is going to be good and improve over last year. But he will still be middle of the pack in the NFL this year.

3. Worst Team in the NFL?

I'm a firm believer in a strong running game takes pressure off of all aspects of the game. So right away I looked at all the teams in the league and who couldn't run. I really didn't see a lot of teams that couldn't run but I did see one who really scared me. I then asked myself how were they on defense and that answer was even worst. I'm going with the Tennessee Titans. Vince Young is a playmaker in every sense of the word...he just has no help this year. You have to run the ball and play solid defense to win with less talented teams in this league and I can't see the Titans doing it. This will lead to T.O.P. differences of double digits which really leaves up winning and losing to Vince. I'm sorry Titan fans but go out and prove me wrong.

4.Rookie of the Year?

Adrian Peterson, I really don't see a lot of options as a whole anyways. But ever since Peterson made a name for himself we've been talking about him in the NFL how would he hold up ect. Here we are 3 weeks into the preseason and AD has been every bit as electric as he was at OU. He is averaging a whopping 5 yards per carry. I don't even want to think about how many of his yards came after contact. AD is going to play fast on that Metrodome Turf and he is going to be as exciting as our NFL's own Reggie Bush.

5. Which NFC Team has the best chance in the Superbowl
Once again I'm going to look for a team with strong defense and a strong running game.

I don't feel like argueing about who is good and who isn't. So I'll just pick the top 5 teams from Vegas right now.
Chicago Bears - Well here is a team that fits that mold. The Bears are going to be tough this year. The NFC North is going to be more Competitive that most may think however they should still win 4 divisional games. Homefield throughout the playoffs will be huge.
New Orleans Saints - Explosive and Smart. However I just don't think that is enough to make it this deep into the playoffs. They are talented...just don't have the defense needed to take them their.
Dallas Cowboys - The Cowboys are a team that is really making some noise as of late. They were a top 5 offensive team and a top 5 defensive team at a point last year. But the defensive collapse lead to failure of the season. With Garrett in town the cowboys will be every bit as good in the offensive department as last year. The addition of Davis only helps the run game. The defense is the question mark on this team. The latest injury to Terrence Newman could be the downfall of their season depending on how it affects him over the course of the year. But this team is the most talented team in the NFC...if they can manage to get pressure on the QB they will be a force.
Seattle Seahawks - Seattle should have a good running game as always with Alexander in the backfield. Hassellbeck is a gamer I don't think you have ot worry there. However their defense is still questionable. They have a above average LB corps but their DL has still yet to play to it's talent level and they still have a below average secondary. I look for them to exit after the first round this year.
Philadelphia Eagles - Here is a team that thrives in the trenches. With a healthy McNabb and Westbrook this team in dangerous. If the important peices on this team stay healthy they have as good of chance as any to go to the superbowl. They are also the team that has the best chance to beat Chicago in Chicago. The one worry I have for this team is defensive leadership in the front 7. We all know Dawkins is a great pressence in the secondary but I want to see someone step up in the front seven and really lead this defense. If this happens I wouldn't be surprised to see them get to the superbowl.

After all that breakdown I'm going to go with dallas. Dallas has better QB play than the Bears. That'll be critical later in the playoffs. They have the mos talent of any team in the NFC. If they win the division they'll get atleast one game in Irving which is very important for this team...Dallas is not a good cold weather team. With the improvement of the OL, another year under Romo's belt, a defensive scheme to attack more. This team has the best chance to bring a superbowl back to the NFC.

thule
08-29-2007, 05:20 PM
Apparently I can't count to 10....accidentally hit the post quick reply button will have 10 up later today, after softball :(

duckseason
08-29-2007, 05:51 PM
Very nice writeup so far thule. I agree with the majority of that. Especially about the Titans and AD. Obviously I'm loving our Cowboys this year as well. Damn, I've gotta do one of these. Not sure I'd go as in-depth with my explanations as some of you guys have so far. But it would definitely be fun to look back on at the end of the season.

TitanAddict
08-29-2007, 06:40 PM
Homerism aside, you think the Titans will be the worst team in the league? Wow. Get a clue, Thule.

scottyboy
08-29-2007, 06:40 PM
Homerism aside, you think the Titans will be the worst team in the league? Wow. Get a clue, Thule.

wow, nice reasoning backing that up...

Ewing
08-29-2007, 06:45 PM

People said the same thing about the Titans being the worst team in the league last year. It's always fun proving the doubters wrong and doing it two years in a row could be even sweeter.

duckseason
08-29-2007, 06:46 PM

Very rare is the case where you'll find a home-fan admitting their team is a contender for the #1 pick. But from an outsiders point of view, your Titans look pretty damn weak compared to the majority of the league. Maybe they'll prove us wrong, but at this point in the season I can only think of a few teams that I'd put on a similar level. Part of my opinion has to do with the fact that most teams have appeared to improve since the end of last season. I believe the Titans have done the exact opposite.

Average OT LB
08-29-2007, 06:48 PM

gave a good reason why to think it though right? maybe not one that you like, but sounded reasonable to me. i think there could have been a few more teams, because a bunch cant run. Houston perhaps..

M.O.T.H.
08-29-2007, 06:49 PM

It's def. possible...Vince Young wasnt great through the air a year ago, you have a huge question mark at RB, There is no true #1 WR on your team and the unit as a whole is nothing to brag about, and you don't have Pacman. They filled their holes w/ mediocre to average players...things dont look too good at all for the Titans, you guys took a step backward.

Vikes99ej
08-29-2007, 06:53 PM
Good job, Thule. I like the rookie of the year pick :)

Ewing
08-29-2007, 06:53 PM
It's def. possible...Vince Young wasnt great through the air a year ago, you have a huge question mark at RB, There is no true #1 WR on your team and the unit as a whole is nothing to brag about, and you don't have Pacman. They filled their holes w/ mediocre to average players...things dont look too good at all for the Titans.

As far as the WR thing goes. Drew Bennett, who everyone is saying was a key part to the Titans sucess last year, averaged two catches a game last year during the winning streak.

M.O.T.H.
08-29-2007, 06:56 PM
As far as the WR thing goes. Drew Bennett, who everyone is saying was a key part to the Titans sucess last year, averaged two catches a game last year during the winning streak.

He was still a better option than what you guys are putting out there now. VY struggled w/ a sub par receiving core last season...now, it's worse. I hope I'm wrong, I'm a big fan of VY but, he's not surrounded by much talent at all.

Breaker
08-29-2007, 07:49 PM
People said the same thing about the Titans being the worst team in the league last year. It's always fun proving the doubters wrong and doing it two years in a row could be even sweeter.
You didn't do crap to prove doubters wrong, if you did you'll give a reason as to why you think they'll be good this year. Obviously you have nothing, that whys your response is the way it is. Last year you probably had doubts too, and your response was probably the same way, you THINK they will be good, but its just homer thoughts.

PACKmanN
08-29-2007, 07:56 PM
the madden jinx will live on!

TitanAddict
08-29-2007, 09:14 PM
wow, nice reasoning backing that up...

Fine. You can see my reasoning on the new thread I started -- "7 reasons why the Titans won't suck." I'm sick and tired of you Titan-haters. Whoo!

princefielder28
08-29-2007, 09:16 PM
Fine. You can see my reasoning on the new thread I started -- "7 reasons why the Titans won't suck." I'm sick and tired of you Titan-haters. Whoo!

remove your bias and realize that you were an overachieving team last season and now you have even less talent

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-29-2007, 09:43 PM
I don't think the Titans will get a top 5 pick. VY will make them overachieve, scrambling QBs give their team an edge against mediocre defenses.

Ewing
08-29-2007, 10:19 PM
You didn't do crap to prove doubters wrong, if you did you'll give a reason as to why you think they'll be good this year. Obviously you have nothing, that whys your response is the way it is. Last year you probably had doubts too, and your response was probably the same way, you THINK they will be good, but its just homer thoughts.

Yeah other than coming one game shy of the playoffs with a team many had drafting Calvin Johnson with the first pick they didn't prove anybody wrong. Or what about the quarterback who people said would take three years on the bench to even consider being a starter winning Rookie Of The Year? Oh yeah and that 21 point comeback in ten minutes against the Giants. Yeah, the Titans didn't prove anybody wrong last year.

ripdw27
08-29-2007, 10:38 PM
shoot ill do one, im trying to mix it up so dint give me to much crap

1. Most improved team -
49ers. theyve added nate clements and michael lewis as well as patrick willis to the defense.mix that in with there talented young offense n this team looks pretty slick.

2. 2nd year QB -
Jay Cutler (no homer). i really think that of all the second year qbs he will have the best year. he got off to a great start last year and i think he can continue it to this season. especially with henry and marshall being more of a threat.

3. Worst team in the nfl -
Houston Texans. solid team, but they lack the playmakers, the guys who can change the game by comin up big when they are most needed to. sure they have andre johnson on O, but i feel they lack pms.

4. Rookie of the year -
Anthony Gonzales. may be a stretch but think about it- hes the colts (manning) slot receiver, who is usually the go to guy (see brandon stokley for details). i think he will be productive enough to suprise us all.

5. NFC team in the superbowl -
Dallas Cowboys. If tony romo doesnt have any snap problems, they will be good, especially if they can consistently get iin the redzone.MB3 is a beast, t.o. is that huge playmaker, and they have a very fierce defense that will cause turnoevers and put the offense in scoring position.

why not extend it..

6. Biggest offseason acquisition impact -
Randy Moss. gives that pats yet another threat on offense and will really open up the run game, if he can stay motivated to be the top wideout he really is.

7. Biggest offseason loss -
Cato June. I know he wasnt an elite player but he leaves a huge gap at linebacker especially in the heart of a defense.

PalmerToCJ
08-29-2007, 10:46 PM
I liked your AFCN analysis up until you said you think the Bengals only win 3 in division (if I read correctly)... We're 9-3 the past 2 years in the division. The only team that we have trouble with is the Steelers, they're 2 of those losses.

You hit the nail on the head when you talked about our lack of a real defensive leader. I mean we have leaders in the locker room but on the field there's really no one that takes control out there like Carson does in the offensive huddle.

yodabear
08-29-2007, 11:00 PM

Why can't they be? They are Vince Young and Vince Young. And Jeff Fisher, which is the only reason why they will go 7-9 IMO cuz Fisher is a great coach.

thule
08-30-2007, 12:49 AM
The Titans lost their best WR and Travis Henry....I don't know if you heard but Travis Henry saved your season. Without a running game it would have been an ugly team. But we don't have to wonder because we will see it this year.

BigDawg819
08-30-2007, 01:02 AM
The Titans lost their best WR and Travis Henry....I don't know if you heard but Travis Henry saved your season. Without a running game it would have been an ugly team. But we don't have to wonder because we will see it this year.

Not to mention that losing Pacman hurts the defense and really hurts the special teams in the return game.

comahan
08-30-2007, 01:10 AM
Not to mention that losing Pacman hurts the defense and really hurts the special teams in the return game.

Good thing Pacman is making himself useful by spraypainting guys after THE TRUTH beats em down.

BigDawg819
08-30-2007, 01:12 AM
Good thing Pacman is making himself useful by spraypainting guys after THE TRUTH beats em down.

He's gotta feed his family somehow ..........

BTW Eric Young did want an autograph ;)

Ewing
08-30-2007, 04:34 AM
The Titans lost their best WR

Okay, how many times do I have to tell people. Bennett caught a grand total of eleven passes during the six game winning streak. That's 1.8 a game. Explain to me how a guy who caught less than two passes a game when the team was at it's best is a devastating blow that is going to result in more losses. Henry and Pacman I'll give you but enough about Bennett being some huge part of the Titans. Just because he had the highest rating out of every WR on the Titans in Madden doesn't mean he was the best receiver on the team.

Ward
08-30-2007, 04:48 AM
Just because he had the highest rating out of every WR on the Titans in Madden doesn't mean he was the best receiver on the team.

I'm not sure you're fooling anyone with that veiled insult. The implication is that thule only knows the Titans based off what he sees in Madden. Hilarious. You provide an interesting statistic, which is the actual meat of your post. Next time leave out the BS.

Also, what is your response to his assertions about the loss of Travis Henry? Are you guys really going to count on LenWhale and one year wonder Chris Henry?

neko4
08-30-2007, 04:49 AM
Okay, how many times do I have to tell people. Bennett caught a grand total of eleven passes during the six game winning streak. That's 1.8 a game. Explain to me how a guy who caught less than two passes a game when the team was at it's best is a devastating blow that is going to result in more losses. Henry and Pacman I'll give you but enough about Bennett being some huge part of the Titans. Just because he had the highest rating out of every WR on the Titans in Madden doesn't mean he was the best receiver on the team.

Well how good did the others do?
Bobby Wade and Drew Bennett had over 1100 yards combined.
Brandon Jones and Bo Scaife combined for over 700 yards.
Roydell Williams only had 121 yards.

During the streak:
Roydell caught 2 during the 6 game winning streak
Jones caught 13, two more than Bennett (2 MORE WOOO) during the streak
Bo caught 9 during the streak
Wade caught 14 during the streak

So as you can see none of the WR's did all that good during the streak and Drew Bennett and Bobby Wade are big loses. The two of them accounted for close to 50% of VY's passing yards. Plus 5 of his 12 TD passes

Ewing
08-30-2007, 05:01 AM
Well how good did the others do?
Bobby Wade and Drew Bennett had over 1100 yards combined.
Brandon Jones and Bo Scaife combined for over 700 yards.
Roydell Williams only had 121 yards.

During the streak:
Roydell caught 2 during the 6 game winning streak
Jones caught 13, two more than Bennett (2 MORE WOOO) during the streak
Bo caught 9 during the streak
Wade caught 14 during the streak

So as you can see none of the WR's did all that good during the streak and Drew Bennett and Bobby Wade are big loses. The two of them accounted for close to 50% of VY's passing yards. Plus 5 of his 12 TD passes

Combined Wade and Bennett are a loss but the Titans offense is not going to depend on receivers. It's all about the tight ends, the running game, and Vince Young. Do guys like Bennett and Jones help? Yeah. Are they an imperative part of the offense? No.

The loss that is going to hurt the Titans the most is Travis Henry. There is no way they should have let him go considering all the pressure he took off of Vince.

wogitalia
08-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Titans do look pretty weak but Oakland, Minny, Green Bay and Detroit dont look all that much better to me. All have massive question marks to me.

Houston also could be pretty bad again.

Philliez01
08-30-2007, 09:35 AM
I do understand one thing about Bennett. He was a nice WR but I do recall seeing him drop a few VY deep-balls (that would've been TDs) last season. No doubting that he's a very good WR, but he did have injury woes as well did he not?

I'm not too high on Tennessee either though but anything is possible in the NFL. Cortland Finnegan could be a solid player and Nick Harper isn't Champ Bailey, but he's a dependable #2. Add in Griffin and Hope and their secondary isn't too bad without Pacman.

The thing is, there are question marks on offense. I don't believe in jinxes, as a Colts fan and Phillies/Flyers fan it's hard not too BUT eventually someone will break the chain. VY has shown that he's confident in his TE, Bo Scaife and he'll be their #1 target I assume. Brandon Jones could be a solid #2 but those WRs are scary (in a bad sense). Who knows what LenDale, Brown and Henry accomplish? Brown has proven to have talent but constant injury woes, White has hardly any experience so I can't judge him, and who knows what you are going to get from the other Chris Henry?

They could make noise or could easily be a top-5 team in the draft.

Geo
08-30-2007, 11:08 PM
:D :D :D

bigbluedefense
08-31-2007, 01:21 PM
yeah i definately feel that Peterson should be the run away candidate for offensive rookie of the year.

I have a feeling that Paul Poz could be the defensive rookie of the year. His situation is eerily similar to Demeco's last year. Its either him or Beason.

Merriweather looks studly too.

draftguru151
08-31-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm not sure you're fooling anyone with that veiled insult. The implication is that thule only knows the Titans based off what he sees in Madden. Hilarious. You provide an interesting statistic, which is the actual meat of your post. Next time leave out the BS.

Also, what is your response to his assertions about the loss of Travis Henry? Are you guys really going to count on LenWhale and one year wonder Chris Henry?

More like 4.4 second wonder.

Ward
08-31-2007, 01:53 PM
More like 4.4 second wonder.

Correct, I should have said workout wonder. He was garbage in college even with all that physical ability.

Shiver
08-31-2007, 01:55 PM
yeah i definately feel that Peterson should be the run away candidate for offensive rookie of the year.

I have a feeling that Paul Poz could be the defensive rookie of the year. His situation is eerily similar to Demeco's last year. Its either him or Beason.

Merriweather looks studly too.

No Patrick Willis love? I figured you would be a big fan of his.

If he plays like he did last Monday, it will be Jamaal Anderson. He has been a beast thus far. But knowing the luck of the Falcons, or lack thereof, he will either be hurt or convicted or stricken with inexplicable inconsistency...

bigbluedefense
08-31-2007, 02:36 PM
No Patrick Willis love? I figured you would be a big fan of his.

If he plays like he did last Monday, it will be Jamaal Anderson. He has been a beast thus far. But knowing the luck of the Falcons, or lack thereof, he will either be hurt or convicted or stricken with inexplicable inconsistency...

Forot about jamal anderson. he's another possibility.

I love Willis, but not as rookie of the year. He's making a much harder transition to the 3-4, plus he has no downlinemen in front of him that can really make his life easier. For those reasons, I think he'll have a harder time this year relative to Poz. Poz is in a more ideal situation right now.

I liked Willis in a 4-3 more than I did in the 3-4. Although I still foresee him having success there, because he's such an athlete.

Shiver
08-31-2007, 08:50 PM
Not as if Buffalo has stud interior lineman either...

thule
09-02-2007, 11:16 PM
If I went defensive rookie of the year it would be Anthony Spencer. He is playing in arguably the strongest front 7 in the NFL.

He is going to play it looks like the first half of the season with no backup unless you want to call Carp our swing backer. Ellis still has no timeline for his return. Playing across from Ware, Spencer should get quite a few 1 on 1 oppritunities.

Wade realizes that Spencer is having trouble with the TE...while he can do it...don't expect a lot of it early. If spencer can get 5 or so sacks in the first half of the season, he has as good of a shot as any.

We all know sacks count more than tackles in the NFL voting society.

bearsfan_51
09-02-2007, 11:32 PM
I don't buy Dallas as the most talented team in the NFC. Then again I don't, and haven't, bought Dallas by and large for the last few years. And to my benefit I might add. They are the Notre Dame of the NFL, and I mean that in a good and a bad way.

They should be improved this year, but I'd be suprised if they pull anything more than 10-11 wins.

thule
09-02-2007, 11:36 PM
I don't buy Dallas as the most talented team in the NFC. Then again I don't, and haven't, bought Dallas by and large for the last few years. And to my benefit I might add. They are the Notre Dame of the NFL, and I mean that in a good and a bad way.

They should be improved this year, but I'd be suprised if they pull anything more than 10-11 wins.

9-7 looks like it'll take the nfc east this year.

Shiver
09-03-2007, 08:33 PM
The reason I don't like the Cowboys:

Jacques Reeves will be the Cowboys' starting left cornerback while Terrence Newman recovers from his foot injury.

That is serious trouble. Especially when you play a blitz heavy scheme, Newman's injury is devastating in my opinion.

Geo
09-03-2007, 09:40 PM
I don't think Tony Romo is the real deal, he continually locks onto a receiver at the detriment of the immensely talented offense, and he doesn't improve thanks to the success he occassionally garners from his bad habits. That and Newman's injury is why I don't believe the Cowboys make it back to the playoffs imo.

(I meant to put this in my NFL Truths, actually.)

Shiver
09-03-2007, 09:41 PM
I wish I could swap one of mine out as well. Oh well, the cat's out of the bag and there is no going back.

As for Dallas' offense, I like Romo, I think with Owens and Witten he will always have plenty of weapons. I just don't trust the O-Line and running backs enough to think they will be elite on offense and I have serious questions about that defense. DeMarcus Ware is the only elite player they have. I have never been a fan of Wade Phillips' defense, it gives up just as many big plays and it creates for itself. Without Newman it makes that situation even worse.

awfullyquiet
09-03-2007, 10:32 PM

they way i see it. it's all bad.
where's bzaza when you need him to hate on dallas for being the golden boys of the NFC by marketing and not by talent.
ND has rudy.
that's all that ever mattered.
effing domers.

btw. where's the rest of the 10 truths?

thule
09-04-2007, 12:10 AM
I went out of town this weekend and have been busy...look for the rest on wednesday.

The cowboys are in a world of hurt with Newman down. They were perfectly ok with leaving him on an island something that hadn't been done before. Coverage was going to be rolled to Henry's side. This is the worst injury that could have came to the cowboys. But in Wade we Trust I guess.

Flyboy
09-04-2007, 12:21 AM
"New Orleans Saints - Explosive and Smart. However I just don't think that is enough to make it this deep into the playoffs. They are talented...just don't have the defense needed to take them their."

I really don't get that logic. We made it to the NFC Championship Game last year and we play in the NFC. If we would have played in the AFC, I could see that point but being that we don't I really don't buy it.

thule
10-03-2007, 12:59 AM
"New Orleans Saints - Explosive and Smart. However I just don't think that is enough to make it this deep into the playoffs. They are talented...just don't have the defense needed to take them their."

I really don't get that logic. We made it to the NFC Championship Game last year and we play in the NFC. If we would have played in the AFC, I could see that point but being that we don't I really don't buy it.

Who is buying it now :P

thule
12-31-2007, 05:33 AM
I went back and went through everything in bold.

This seems to be the educated fan thing to do. Since most of the major topics are taken you might see me go off the wall with some hunchs.

1. Most Improved for 2007

Let the big dogs eat. Mark me down for someone who thinks the AFC North is much more of a crap shoot than others think.
The steelers have the new coach in town. Big Ben is always going to be a guy who is right around 60% completion percentage.
65%...I was relatively close...but I wasn't expecting Holmes to develop into that type of weapon this year...that helped him quite a bit.
Willie is a great back but the loss of wisenhunt will show this season...I don't seem him averaging mid 4's like he has his whole career. 3.8 would be my guess at this point.
Parker averaged 4.1 so once again I was just about on...just missed the guess....once again I think holmes had a lot to do with this.
Their starting D has put up great preseason numbers. But it really comes down to can you put a game on Big Ben's shoulders and I don't see it.
Big Ben put this team on his shoulders...and proved me wrong
Steelers although an overall solid team will finish in the bottom of the division.
Like I said....big ben carried his team.
The Ravens are what they are. They are going to be a top 3 defense again this year. They are going to smack you in the mouth and win the turnover battle.
They finished with the 2nd best run defense...however they were exposed in the air...mccallister going down didn't help...and neither did age in the secondary.
However McNair is another year older and still looks apprehensive when going down field multiple times a game.
Hit the nail on the head right here.
McGahee was an upgrade for the running game but I think his difference is going to be catching out of the backfield something that JLew wasn't great at.
McGahee I think proved his worth this year.
The Bengals are going to put up big numbers.
They were a bit of a disappointment this year...but still were capable of scoring 40+ on a good week.
I still hate their defense. Carson Palmer is by far the best QB in the division yet he can't get out there and quarterback the defense. The defense while somewhat talented just lacks that vocal leader presence that good defenses have.
Think I was pretty right on here...
With the Division as tough as it is defensively this year I just can't see the Bengals escaping with more than 3 divisional games.
Right on again....went 3-3 in the division
The Browns are back. Call me crazy but I'm drinking the Crennel Cool-Aid. This team is getting very solid along the OL. Have talent everywhere on offense.
Call of the season?
If JLew can proove that he can still run hard in the league it should take some pressure off of who is in at QB.
JLew wasn't dynamic...but did keep defenses somewhat honest
By the time Quinn get's set into the Saddle this team is going to be fun to watch.
Too early to tell
Although their 3-4 defense is still lacking some talent...they have above average corner play and Wimbley is in for a double season sack total...which will only let the other players in the front 7 to play better.
Wimbley had a down number in sacks...but still had pressures...and really was the only front 7 weapon...which lead to more attention on him. He still had 4 forced fumbles...
This is a team that if can stay healthy over the course of the season could be looking at an 8-8 record and win atleast 3 divisional games. That is a huge improvement from a team that hasn't won a divisional game in how long?
They split in the division...so they hit my 3 game number...that first pitt game was without anderson tho...so I don't think that can be overlooked.
2. The Rise of the Second Year QB
The top 3 QB's in the league is set. But after that their is alot going on. A lot of teams went a different direction with their qb's last year and a lot of them worked. With a year in the system expect bigger things this year.

Jon Kitna, has another great target to throw too in CJ. Furrey and Roy should put up big numbers in year two as well. Their is going to be a major aerial attack going on in Detriot this year and it's going to be fun to watch.
Kitna finished 6th in passing yardage...and while he didn't meet my expectations...detroits OL is terrible
Phillip Rivers, a guy who was pretty efficient last year should only improve. With Norv in town look for a higher completion percentage. Timing is everything in this offense and with LT in the backfield Rivers should be up around 65% which would tie Peyton Manning last year.
Rivers didn't quite hit 65...but did finish over 60....He really took awhile to grasp the timing scheme that Norv brought over...but he picked it up more and more as the season wore on.
J.P. Losman, came out last year and really quieted the critics last year. The loss of McGahee will hurt but Lynch should be good enough to keep the pressure of Losman. Evans is looking to put up career numbers again and Losman is going to be putting up.
Not sure what happened here....Losman looked good...got hurt...and didn't even start by the end of the year....Evans didn't do anything all year...I'm thinking the injury had something to do with his decline...but not quite sure.
Steve McNair, I know I said he didn't like to go down the field earlier. But this guy still is a great game manager with playmaking ability. McNair's leadership is what is going to make that offense tick this year. With another year in the offense look for McNair to be sharp and decisive in his reads. Mark Clayton should have a career year this year if everything goes right.
Way off with this one....not much to say besides he is worn out
Tony Romo, Garrett has put Romo in a great position this year. The offense is very similar to last years but their are a few slight differences. Garrett imported the timing scheme very similar to Norvs up in SD. This will allow Romo to be more decisive in the pocket not having to wait for anything to develop. TO is not just stuck as the X WR this year. He is moving all over the field. I'm sure many of people heard that he couldn't get off the LOS last year without being forced outside well this year he doesn't have to. He is moving all over playing in the slot, going in motion all kinds of things to keep him from getting shaded to the outside with cloud coverage over the top. Look for atleast 100 catches this year for TO. Romo will break Dallas Cowboys passing records in yards this year...count on it.
TO didn't hit 100 catches...but witten had a amazing 96 receptions...so that is something I didn't quite think would happen...I would have had those numbers swapped...but TO did finish with over 1300 yards which was good enough for 5th in the league. By the way....Romo broke tons of dallas records....passing yards/passing completitions/passing touchdowns great season even if he had a couple of tough games.
Matt Leinart, with Wisenhunt in town the attempt's may go down but the running game should improve as well as time in the pocket. With a bolstered running game Leinart won't have to see as many double coverage/help in the secondary. Teams won't have the stack the box with 8 guys but they won't be able to sit with safeties deep all game like last year either. Look for Leinart to be more efficient this year.
Leinart got hurt...but the 2 QB system seemed to be in place before he went down....tough to say what would have happened...but clearly wasn't meeting expectations.
Vince Young, this could be an exception to the rule. He just doesn't seem to have anyone to throw the ball too. They lost Travis Henry. Their offense is really on his back and will go as far as he can take them. I love Vince but I have a feeling he will be the only sophmore slump QB this year.
Vince exceeded my expectations...but still need to give him weapons in the passing game.
Jason Campbell, another year in Gibb's system this year he has some experience on the field. Has plenty of targets this season I look for Cooley to be towards the top in receptions this year. The redskins are going to run the football which means Campbell has a great opprutunity to go down the field this year. Look for him to be towards the top of the league in plus 20 yard completitions.
Well he finished with 30 balls of plus 20 yards....but the reigns weren't let go as much as I expected...getting hurt at the end of the season didn't help that statline either...but still a nice season by campbell
Jay Cutler, I'm not going to go as in detail since it seems to be an exhausted subject. But yes he has that swagger, yes he has Travis Henry to hand off too to take the pressure off of him. Yes he has a huge target to throw to in Brandon Marshall. He is going to be good and improve over last year. But he will still be middle of the pack in the NFL this year.
Just about right on here....he is going to be the real deal

3. Worst Team in the NFL?

I'm a firm believer in a strong running game takes pressure off of all aspects of the game. So right away I looked at all the teams in the league and who couldn't run. I really didn't see a lot of teams that couldn't run but I did see one who really scared me. I then asked myself how were they on defense and that answer was even worst. I'm going with the Tennessee Titans. Vince Young is a playmaker in every sense of the word...he just has no help this year. You have to run the ball and play solid defense to win with less talented teams in this league and I can't see the Titans doing it. This will lead to T.O.P. differences of double digits which really leaves up winning and losing to Vince. I'm sorry Titan fans but go out and prove me wrong.
Congratulations....you guys proved me wrong....you pulled a running game out of no where...and your front seven dominated this year....Haynesworth was an animal this year...and I don't think anyone would have called that.

4.Rookie of the Year?

Adrian Peterson, I really don't see a lot of options as a whole anyways. But ever since Peterson made a name for himself we've been talking about him in the NFL how would he hold up ect. Here we are 3 weeks into the preseason and AD has been every bit as electric as he was at OU. He is averaging a whopping 5 yards per carry. I don't even want to think about how many of his yards came after contact. AD is going to play fast on that Metrodome Turf and he is going to be as exciting as our NFL's own Reggie Bush.
AD's injury seemed to have a effect on the end of his season...but I just don't see him losing the rookie of the year....he had a great season....just imagine what would happen if he got to run against a 7 man front a time or two.

5. Which NFC Team has the best chance in the Superbowl
Once again I'm going to look for a team with strong defense and a strong running game.

I don't feel like argueing about who is good and who isn't. So I'll just pick the top 5 teams from Vegas right now.
Chicago Bears - Well here is a team that fits that mold. The Bears are going to be tough this year. The NFC North is going to be more Competitive that most may think however they should still win 4 divisional games. Homefield throughout the playoffs will be huge.
The NFC north was competitive....however who would have thought the Packers would have this type of year.
New Orleans Saints - Explosive and Smart. However I just don't think that is enough to make it this deep into the playoffs. They are talented...just don't have the defense needed to take them their.
Losing their top 2 backs was a big lose....but like I said...defense wasn't there to take them deep.
Dallas Cowboys - The Cowboys are a team that is really making some noise as of late. They were a top 5 offensive team and a top 5 defensive team at a point last year. But the defensive collapse lead to failure of the season. With Garrett in town the cowboys will be every bit as good in the offensive department as last year. The addition of Davis only helps the run game. The defense is the question mark on this team. The latest injury to Terrence Newman could be the downfall of their season depending on how it affects him over the course of the year. But this team is the most talented team in the NFC...if they can manage to get pressure on the QB they will be a force.
Ding Ding Ding....Dallas proved everything there...however their end of the year slump could make me a fool.
Seattle Seahawks - Seattle should have a good running game as always with Alexander in the backfield. Hassellbeck is a gamer I don't think you have ot worry there. However their defense is still questionable. They have a above average LB corps but their DL has still yet to play to it's talent level and they still have a below average secondary. I look for them to exit after the first round this year.
Such a finese team...but is playing good ball as of late...I still see them exiting after the first round...but I didn't think they would be this good.
Philadelphia Eagles - Here is a team that thrives in the trenches. With a healthy McNabb and Westbrook this team in dangerous. If the important peices on this team stay healthy they have as good of chance as any to go to the superbowl. They are also the team that has the best chance to beat Chicago in Chicago. The one worry I have for this team is defensive leadership in the front 7. We all know Dawkins is a great pressence in the secondary but I want to see someone step up in the front seven and really lead this defense. If this happens I wouldn't be surprised to see them get to the superbowl.
Dawkins going down almost single-handly took this team out of the playoffs. Not to mention Westbrook not being 100% for about half of this year....injuries hurt this team....I really can't think of a front 7 leader that emerged...maybe Trent Cole...but that was more of the on-the-field standpoint

After all that breakdown I'm going to go with dallas. Dallas has better QB play than the Bears. That'll be critical later in the playoffs. They have the mos talent of any team in the NFC. If they win the division they'll get atleast one game in Irving which is very important for this team...Dallas is not a good cold weather team. With the improvement of the OL, another year under Romo's belt, a defensive scheme to attack more. This team has the best chance to bring a superbowl back to the NFC.
Looks like I'm right here...although I didn't mention GB anywhere here

Couple random notes....Somewhere I have Brady as the MVP...I believe it was in shivers thread...looks like I hit on that note.

Defensive MVP I missed on with Spencer....but noone could have expected Ellis to come back this strong from his torn ACL...had he started all season it would have been interesting.