PDA

View Full Version : 7 reasons why the Titans won't suck this year...

TitanAddict
08-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Okay. I try to defend my team's pride by calling Thule a fool (so to speak) when he says the Titans are going to be the worst team in the league next year. All my friends say that the Titans are going to be no better than 8-8. I'VE HAD IT! I am sick and tired of everyone hating on my Titans. This thread is dedicated to all the Titans fans who are SICK AND TIRED of ESPN, CBSsportsline, FOXsports, SI, and NFLDC posters hating on our Titans.

You want some explanation why we're not going to suck? You asked for it. Here it is ...

1. The Offensive Line

The Titans offensive line is a top 10 unit in the league, easily. No one knows this because the offensive line plays in Tennessee. We have two dependable, talented offensive tackles in Michael Roos and David Stewart. Roos is a top five left tackle who should have gone to the pro bowl last year. He is 6'7", 315 with excellent feet. He is a strong run blocker, is excellent in pass protection, and he never commits penalties. Stewart was nick-named "Big Country" when he played at Miss. St. He is also 6'7" and weighs 318. Stewart is a mauling run-blocker and is solid in pass protection as long as he is able to get his hands on the pass rusher. Inside, we have Kevin Mawae who played as if he were five years younger last year. Jacob Bell is a talented young guard who was an upgrade over Zach Piller when he went down early last season with an injury. He has excellent quickness and is a nice complement to Benji Olson, who is more of a "pave-the-way" type guard. Add in Eugene Amano, Leroy Harris, and Daniel Loper, and we have excellent depth as well.

2. The Linebackers

Keith Bulluck is consistently underrated. He hits like a mack truck and covers extremely well for a linebacker. He is a high-energy player and is the heart and soul of our defense. He is the best 4-3 outside linebacker in the league. On the other side we have David Thornton who played very well last year despite battling the injury bug. Thornton is faster and more athletic than Bulluck, but is not quite as strong against the run. On the inside we have a battle between Ryan Fowler (FA from Dallas) and Stephen Tulluch. Fowler excels in stuffing the run while Tulluch is a little better in coverage. Overall, they are also a top 10 unit in the league.

3. The Secondary

Chris Hope is a stud. He was finally able to step out of the shadow of Troy Polamalu last year and was excellent against the run and in coverage. The loss of Pacman will definitelly sting, but our corners should be improved overall, and they have proved themselves so far after three preseason games. Nick Harper (FA from Indianapolis) is solid on one side while either Cortland Finnegan or Michael Griffin should man the other side. Whoever loses the battle will probably play the Nickel spot, which the coaches consider a starting position. Our only question, really, is the free safety spot currently held by Lamont Thompson. While Thompson has played well so far this preseason (2 ints in three games), most Titans fans would prefer Calvin Lowry or Vincent Fuller to win the starting spot. Both are capable starters. Plus, we could always move Griffin to free safety and utilize our amazing cornerback depth by playing Reynaldo Hill, Kelly Herndon, or Eric King in Griff's place.

4. The D-Line is MUCH improved

Albert Haynesworth has a lot to prove after being suspended for five games last year after stomping on Andre Gurode's head. This is a contract year for Big Albert and you know he'll want to get paid. The recent signing of Corey Simon improves depth and could pay off if he stays healthy. KVB is a consistent force off the edge and plays the run well. On the other side, Antwan Odom is looking like a monster thus far in the preseason and is living up to his second round draft pick status. Throw in Travis Laboy, Tony Brown, Randy Starks, and Jesse Mahelona for depth, and the D-Line looks much stronger than last year. Last year in the preseason the Titans gave up 180 rush yards per game. This year they are giving up 80. They have 10 sacks so far (third in the league) and they did amazing against the Patriots' first team offensive line.

5. The Running Backs

Chris Brown and LenDale White have both looked good in the preseason. Chris Henry is human lightning, but still needs to work on blitz pick-up, vision, and patience. I expect LenDale to be the hammer with Chris Brown spelling him and acting as a change-of-pace back. Ahmard Hall is an excellent fullback who plows the road for the ball-carrier and has excellent receiver skills.

6. The receivers/TEs

This is the one that really irks me. Everyone talks about how much we are going to miss Drew Bennett and Bobby Wade. First of all, Drew Bennett was the king of making the amazing 40 yard catch (but probably not for a touchdown) only to drop the ball on a five yard slant on third and four. I think my girlfriend is probably the only Titans fan who is sad to see him go. As for Bobby Wade, he was NOTHING before last year when he did pretty well for us in the slot. I mean, the BEARS let him go and look at their offense! We drafted Chris Davis out of FSU in the fourth round and he should be an upgrade. Brandon Jones and Roydell Williams are legitimate starters and should do just fine on the outside. Hopefully Eric Moulds shows us something during the season, but right now I actually think Justin Gage is playing better than him. Paul Williams was a potential first round pick after his junior season at Fresno, but injuries slowed him down last year. Youtube him and you'll see what kind of talent he has. As for the TEs, Bo Scaife is an excellent all-around TE. He is a solid blocker with good hands. Some are calling him the next Frank Wyceck. Troupe is injury prone, but has shown that he can be an Antonio Gates-type player. He needs to limit his drops and concentrate on his route-running. If he can put it all together this year, that would be a huge bonus.

7. Vince Young

Where do I start? Offensive ROY despite completing about half of his attempts. Four 4th quarter comebacks. A walk-off home run in Houston in overtime against the Texans. Taking a team from an 0-5 start and going 8-3 down the stretch only to miss the playoffs by one game. Vince Young is clutch. He simply knows how to win games. All we have to do is keep things close for three and a half quarters and let Vince do the rest. If you put him in a two minute drill in a shotgun, four wide set, he is practically unstoppable. Ditto for the redzone. It is hard to explain the awesomeness of VY. He is already better than McNair ever was. Only Titans fans who watch all the games will understand that statement. Sure, McNair had some nice statistical seasons and he took us to the Super Bowl, but he didn't have the intangibles that VY has. I used to be really nervous at the end of close games when McNair was the QB. I hoped and held my breath that he wouldn't choke the game away or make a bad decision that would prevent us from winning. It's not the same with Vince. During close games last year down the stretch, I would get excited because I knew we were going to win; I just couldn't wait to see how Vince was going to do it. Even against the Giants last year when we were down 21-0 with 10 minutes left. Vince was having a great game, but Travis Henry had a fumble or two that cost us and our defense wasn't playing great. I looked at my girlfriend and told her that we were going to come back and win. Sure enough, Vince stepped his game up to an even higher level. Pacman took advantage of a couple of Eli Manning choke-throws, and Bironas sealed the deal. It's games like those that have made all us Titans fans believers. I can also understand why Texas Longhorn fans love him so much. I mean, look at the Rose Bowls that he played in! Vince Young is a winner. I fully expect him to dominate the Madden Curse this year. If anyone can do it, Vince can. I tell my friends that he is actually going to somehow deflect the curse upon somebody else -- probably Peyton Manning. If Peyton goes down with an injury this year, it won't be because of Tony Ugoh. Not only do I think the Titans will make the playoffs this year, I think we'll win the division. The Colts are much-maligned due to injury/FA losses. Their defense will keep them from winning several games. The Jaguars have the opposite problem. Their offense is a wreck. They have no WRs and more importantly, no QB. The Texans are moving in the right direction, and will probably have a solid defense this year. I just think that their offense is a year or two away.

So, for all you Titan haters out there ... when December rolls around and the Titans are on their way to a division title, don't say I didn't tell you so.

Don Vito
08-29-2007, 08:56 PM
They do have some solid players (VY, Haynesworth, Roos, Hope, Bulluck, Vanden Bosch), but I do not see how you can say the DBs are solid with their best player (and arguably biggest playmaker) gone. I'm not sure how Griffin is gonna do at corner but he is a solid player so he should help ease the loss of Pacman.

The WRs are not good no matter how you slice it. Givens could be good and they have some solid TEs but they need a WR or 2 in this years draft.

The RBs are very questionable yet talented, but Chris Brown could get hurt any second and LenDale is just a huge paradox. Plus after those 2 guys there is very little.

Bulluck is good but is getting old and other than him there are no very good players in that corps.

I do like Tennessee and they could finish in the top half of the AFC and suprise some people, but I do not see the playoffs in store with little all-around depth and not too many targets for VY.

Im_a_Romosexual
08-29-2007, 08:58 PM
couldn't get 10?
I'll give you reason #7 though. he's a stud

neko4
08-29-2007, 09:02 PM
I'll give you 7, 2 and maybe 1

Vikes99ej
08-29-2007, 09:03 PM
Someone got their feelings hurt after reading the Truth threads.

princefielder28
08-29-2007, 09:06 PM
4 reasons why they won't be good

1. PacMan Jones Suspension

2. Losing Travis Henry to free agency

3. Lack of talent at WR

4. The divsion they play in

PalmerToCJ
08-29-2007, 09:07 PM
Reasons they won't....

You flat out overachieved last year, you can't tell me a lot of luck wasn't involved in getting the 8 wins.

Travis Henry and Pacman are gone, VY did play a very big part in the late season surge last year but Henry/Pacman had very large roles as well.

I don't think you'll be top 5 pick but top 12 wouldn't surprise me.

neko4
08-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Reasons they won't....

You flat out overachieved last year, you can't tell me a lot of luck wasn't involved in getting the 8 wins.

Travis Henry and Pacman are gone, VY did play a very big part in the late season surge last year but Henry/Pacman had very large roles as well.

I don't think you'll be top 5 pick but top 12 wouldn't surprise me.

i thought they won 7

umphrey
08-29-2007, 09:12 PM
At CB, WR, RB, you make young guys with potential who haven't done anything (yet) sound like sure fire top 15 units. Not to say that they won't be but it it's far from a sure thing.

TitanAddict
08-29-2007, 09:17 PM
i thought they won 7

You thought wrong.

TitanAddict
08-29-2007, 09:18 PM
Someone got their feelings hurt after reading the Truth threads.

So? ... (sniffle, sniffle)

M.O.T.H.
08-29-2007, 09:18 PM
When did Brandon Jones and Roydell Williams prove that they were legit starters?

How did your cornerback situation improve? The loss of Pacman is immense, not only for your secondary but, your return game as well. Anyway, you replace pacman w/ an aging average corner in Harper and an unproven rookie, converted Safety...I dont see how you improved there.

TitanAddict
08-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Haters, keep hating.

princefielder28
08-29-2007, 09:20 PM
Haters, keep hating.

truth tellers, keep telling

TitanHope
08-29-2007, 09:21 PM
They do have some solid players (VY, Haynesworth, Roos, Hope, Bulluck, Vanden Bosch), but I do not see how you can say the DBs are solid with their best player (and arguably biggest playmaker) gone. I'm not sure how Griffin is gonna do at corner but he is a solid player so he should help ease the loss of Pacman.

Not many people know this, but Pac was sometimes a liability in coverage. Not because his coverage skills were lacking, but because he'd sometimes leave his assignment and do what he'd want in hopes of making the big play. I guess he could be considered the CB version of LaVar Arrington. Nevertheless, a great talent and no one on the roster can replace him. But, what TitanAddict is eluding to is that our cornerback depth is exponentially better, even without Pac. Right now, we have 4 guys that we feel are more than capable of starting for us at CB. And aside from FS, since it's likely that LaMiss Thompson will start again, we are more than confident in our other secondary positions. To the point that corner isn't really a need in next year's draft, especially if we get Pacman back.

Also, great post TitanAddict. :)

Paul
08-29-2007, 09:21 PM
You want to defend your team, fine go for it, that is what fans are suppose to do. But you need to learn how to take other people's opinions and criticisms better, besides calling them a "fool" and whining like a little prick just because they don't have the same confidence as you do for your team. You are taking other people's comments to heart way to much. It actually sounds like it's keeping you up at night, which is kind of sad. As a lifetime Cowboys fans, I have heard plenty of criticisms and disparaging remarks from opposing fans and analysis alike, and I've never let it get to me to a point where I'm having hissy-fit on a forum. You need to get hold of yourself.

PalmerToCJ
08-29-2007, 09:22 PM
truth tellers, keep telling

Basically... Between our 2 posts we have all the reason people need to think the Titans will regress this year.

TitanAddict
08-29-2007, 09:25 PM
When did Brandon Jones and Roydell Williams prove that they were legit starters?

How did your cornerback situation improve? The loss of Pacman is immense not only for your secondary but, your return game as well. Anyway, you replace pacman w/ an aging average corner in Harper and an unproven rookie converted Safety...I dont see how you improved there.

Cornerbacks look very solid so far in the preseason. Now, I know it is the preseason, but isn't it better to look impressive in the preseason than sucky? We have excellent depth. Reynaldo Hill will be our #4 or #5 CB even though he started for us the last two years. Michael Griffin is looking far better than anyone could have hoped (even us eternal optimists) and Cortland Finnegan only continues to get better. What a steal for us in the seventh round last year! Kelly Herndon and Eric King provide excellent depth. Overall, our secondary is better than it was last year.

As for Brandon Jones, he proved to me over the last four or five games that he can be a good starter. Do you remember how he looked in the last few games of the season and how well he did? No? I didn't think so. That's because none of you haters have actually watched them play.

As for Roydell, he has more to prove, but he has looked like our best receiver so far this preseason. I know this doesn't mean much, but immediately after the draft a couple of years ago, Mel Kiper said that he expected Roydell Williams to be the best player of the three wide receivers that we took that year (Brandon Jones, Courtney Roby, Roydell Williams).

GB12
08-29-2007, 09:26 PM
couldn't get 10?
I'll give you reason #7 though. he's a stud

8. The Fullback

9.The Kicker

10. The Punter

neko4
08-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Where does TEN rank in their own division?:
QB- I'd say they are 2nd or 3rd. JAX has two decent starters, but they arent winners like Vince was last year, and Houston has the unproven Schaub who will have to get maybe one more good OL before he can compete.

RB- Last. Edit- I confused Henry w/ Chris Brown, now they are definitly last.

WR/TE- Last again. Andre and Owen Daniels are great in HOU. We all know the situation in Indy, and JAX has seen flashes from Reggie Williams while Matt Jones would probably start in Tennesse.

OL- 2nd, only in front of HOU and JAX, EDIT- I forgot they had Mawae

DL- 3rd. Potentially HOU is much better thanks to 2 good young DL in Okoye and Mario.

LB- Tied for third w/ HOU. Both of them have one good LB.

CB- Dead last. The other 3 teams all have atleast one solid CB.

S- Im not sure here, but certainly not first.

Anyway if they cant win their division they wont get in, the AFC South is one of the weaker ones in the Conference

neko4
08-29-2007, 09:28 PM
8. The Fullback

9.The Kicker

10. The Punter

11. LS
12. Holder
13. Kerry Collins

Paul
08-29-2007, 09:30 PM
Where does TEN rank in their own division?:
QB- I'd say they are 2nd or 3rd. JAX has two decent starters, but they arent winners like Vince was last year, and Houston has the unproven Schaub who will have to get maybe one more good OL before he can compete.

RB- Last. Though close behind HOU, the closed thing to proven that they have is Brown.

WR/TE- Last again. Andre and Owen Daniels are great in HOU. We all know the situation in Indy, and JAX has seen flashes from Reggie Williams while Matt Jones would probably start in Tennesse.

OL- 2nd or 3rd, only in front of HOU and possibly JAX.

DL- 3rd. Potentially HOU is much better thanks to 2 good young DL in Okoye and Mario.

LB- Tied for third w/ HOU. Both of them have one good LB.

CB- Dead last. The other 3 teams all have atleast one solid CB.

S- Im not sure here, but certainly not first.

Anyway if they cant win their division they wont get in, the AFC South is one of the weaker ones in the Conference

I think Wilford and Northcutt are ahead in this point. But this is from the one Jags preseason game I saw, so I could be wrong. Need a confirmation or be told otherwise from a Jags fan.

neko4
08-29-2007, 09:31 PM
I think Wilford and Northcutt are ahead in this point. But this is from the one Jags preseason game I saw, so I could be wrong. Need a confirmation or be told otherwise from a Jags fan.

And now you have just proven that Jax has better WR depth than tennesse

TitanAddict
You want to defend your team, fine go for it, that is what fans are suppose to do. But you need to learn how to take other people's opinions and criticisms better, besides calling them a "fool" and whining like a little prick just because they don't have the same confidence as you do for your team. You are taking other people's comments to heart way to much. It actually sounds like it's keeping you up at night, which is kind of sad. As a lifetime Cowboys fans, I have heard plenty of criticisms and disparaging remarks from opposing fans and analysis alike, and I've never let it get to me to a point where I'm having hissy-fit on a forum. You need to get hold of yourself.

Sorry. What I meant to say was, "I respectfully disagree with you, Mr. Thule and others. I am sorry to have called you "haters" when, in reality, you simply hold a different opinion than my own."

So what if I want to give a passionate defense for my Titans? If "fool" or "hater" is the worst thing that I've called someone, I think I'm doing okay. By the way, my roommate and three of my buddies are Cowboy fans. I don't think Cowboy fans have any room to talk about giving annoying propaganda rants about their team.

TitanHope
Where does TEN rank in their own division?

According to our record within our division last year...first.

princefielder28
08-29-2007, 09:32 PM

according to common sense, overall team, and overall record they could very well be the worst

PalmerToCJ
08-29-2007, 09:33 PM
TitanHope/Addict... How many games do each of you think the Titans will win?

neko4
08-29-2007, 09:34 PM

Well if that is your theory than you have absolutley no choice but to agree that Arizona is the best in their division, becaue they had the best Div record in the NFC West last year

doingthisinsteadofwork
08-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Uggh.Thank god not everyone on this forum gets their feelings hurt when another poster says your team is gonna suck.You dont see any Raider fans making threads about this.

M.O.T.H.
08-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Cornerbacks look very solid so far in the preseason. Now, I know it is the preseason, but isn't it better to look impressive in the preseason than sucky? We have excellent depth. Reynaldo Hill will be our #4 or #5 CB even though he started for us the last two years. Michael Griffin is looking far better than anyone could have hoped (even us eternal optimists) and Cortland Finnegan only continues to get better. What a steal for us in the seventh round last year! Kelly Herndon and Eric King provide excellent depth. Overall, our secondary is better than it was last year.

As for Brandon Jones, he proved to me over the last four or five games that he can be a good starter. Do you remember how he looked in the last few games of the season and how well he did? No? I didn't think so. That's because none of you haters have actually watched them play.

As for Roydell, he has more to prove, but he has looked like our best receiver so far this preseason. I know this doesn't mean much, but immediately after the draft a couple of years ago, Mel Kiper said that he expected Roydell Williams to be the best player of the three wide receivers that we took that year (Brandon Jones, Courtney Roby, Roydell Williams).

Depth is great and all but, only three of those players are going to see the majority of play. The 5th guy won't even see any real playing time. Their starting corners are only average by the league's standards.

As for Jones and Williams. Neither has proven anything. Jones did not put up great numbers in about 10 starts last season. I only remember him having one good game last season...he tends to disappear out there. Now, Williams. He has a whopping 2 career starts and he they didnt come last season. I dont see how either of these guys have proven that they are "legitimate" starting WR's in this league.

Paul
08-29-2007, 09:44 PM
Sorry. What I meant to say was, "I respectfully disagree with you, Mr. Thule and others. I am sorry to have called you "haters" when, in reality, you simply hold a different opinion than my own."

So what if I want to give a passionate defense for my Titans? If "fool" or "hater" is the worst thing that I've called someone, I think I'm doing okay. By the way, my roommate and three of my buddies are Cowboy fans. I don't think Cowboy fans have any room to talk about giving annoying propaganda rants about their team.

There is a big difference between a passionate defense and out right annoyance and immature banter about the people who are "hating" on your team, which what you had pretty much did in the first paragraph of your initial post. And if you want to generalize and lump everyone in the same category just because your buddies act a certain way, then fine. I can only feel sorry for your ignorance and narrow mindedness. Becuase, your actions or responses in this thread and Thule's thread will not lead me to believe that all Titans fans are crybabies.

TitanHope
08-29-2007, 09:48 PM
according to common sense, overall team, and overall record they could very well be the worst

My sense isn't quite common. I have better sense then most I meet, but I could very well be averagely sensed and just met rather ignorant people. So I suppose that's yet to be determined. Overall team talent-wise and record-wise is still to be determined, since we still have the rest of cuts and pre-season, and the regular season hasn't even started, which means all arguments are speculation. And since its speculation, I can make an argument for anything and find someway to justify it. So I don't feel much of a need to defend my team to those who aren't as familiar with it as I am, unless they're in the AFC South.

Well if that is your theory than you have absolutley no choice but to agree with me that Arizona is the best in their division, becaue they had the best Div record in the NFC West last year

No I don't. You asked how the Titans compared to the other teams in the AFC South, so I said we had the best record in inner division play against each other. My argument was that the Titans were better in inner-division play, not in play outside the conference. That would obviously be the Colts, based on their record and that they are the Champions.

TitanHope/Addict... How many games do each of you think the Titans will win?

We lost more than we gained in Free Agency, have a tough schedule, and had a draft that may not show much immediate improvement. But, many of our players currently on roster have improved, which if anything adds depth, which will help a team win games. But, realistically speaking, I'm thinking about 7-9.

neko4
08-29-2007, 09:49 PM
7-9 to 5-11 is what im thinking

TitanHope
08-29-2007, 09:57 PM
7-9 to 5-11 is what im thinking

I won't argue with that. If LenDale or another RB doesn't step up, though I think White and Brown will, we could very well end up 5-11. Though you can also state the opposite in that LenDale can have a break out year, and we can get to 8-8 or better. Like I said, its all speculation at this point. Especially when you talk about the Titans, a team that has many uncertainties at positions that could go either way. It just bugs me as a Titans fan when people automatically underestimate our team just because of a few unproven players, and they're skill players at that. I think that's what has TitanAddict upset, but I don't know the conversation he had with Thule that led to the creation of this thread.

tylerb929
08-29-2007, 10:10 PM
There are too many questions about the Titans to lock them in at any record (whether it be 6-10 or 10-6).

Chris Brown is injury proned, Lendale hasn't shown anything yet (except that he loves to eat), and Chris Henry was a reach at a work out warrior who hasn't proved himself at any level.

The tandem of Nick Harper and Michael Griffin doesn't really strike fear into the opponents. One's a cover-2 corner who didn't get as exposed as much last year as he had in the past because his running D was horrible, the other is a rookie who is converting from a safety to a corner.

The O-line is solid, possibly top 10, but not top 5.

The D-line is good, had problems against the run last year, I'm sure it will improve but not by much, don't expect any help from Simon.

All of the WRs are unproven (except Moulds who could turn out to be a decent pick up).

And VY, well he could carry the team on his back, he's a playmaker who can win games on his own. But two words are all I need to say to tell you why the Titans won't go far this year....... Madden Curse.

Also, about winning the division, don't expect 60 yard FGs as time expires and 40 yard runs by your QB in overtime to win games, it just doesn't happen often.

That being said, just like I stated when I started this post, they could go 6-10 or they could go 10-6, theres a lot of questions that need to be answered about them.

TitanAddict
08-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the backup, TitanHope. And that is a good stat to bring up. We went 4-2 in the division last year. Jax went 2-4, Houston went 3-3, and Indy went 3-3.

And you doubters keep it coming. Especially you, Paul. You're a tool.

neko4
08-29-2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the backup, TitanHope. And that is a good stat to bring up. We went 4-2 in the division last year. Jax went 2-4, Houston went 3-3, and Indy went 3-3.

And you doubters keep it coming. Especially you, Paul. You're a tool.

that was last year, now yall have an even worse WR core, even worse RB's and a hardly better than last year secondary

M.O.T.H.
08-29-2007, 10:17 PM
You went 4-2 w/ Pacman, Bennett, and Henry on the roster.

TitanAddict
08-29-2007, 10:26 PM
Travis Henry had a solid year last year, but LenDale is certainly capable of replacing his production. I'm telling you guys, if you watch the games you would see what I'm talking about.

As for my emotional status, my feelings are not hurt in the least. I hold no grudge against Thule. His opinion is his opinion. I started this thread b/c Thule was the last straw. We are being given zero love from the media and zero love from other posters on this site. I just wanted to give an in-depth response as to why I think the Titans will be good. Now, I do stay up at night and think about this stuff, and I do cry just a little bit (just kidding). I don't take any of this personally. Tone of voice apparantly doesn't come through in posts. As for Paul, I still think he's a tool. But the rest of you guys are okay.

Vikes99ej
08-29-2007, 10:26 PM
The Titans are going to suck this year, face it. Still tied for last in AFC South for worst team. Too many question marks.

Dam8610
08-29-2007, 10:27 PM
So, for all you Titan haters out there ... when December rolls around and the Titans are on their way to a division title, don't say I didn't tell you so.

Thanks for the laugh. Division title, that's a good one.

Ewing
08-29-2007, 10:30 PM
You went 4-2 w/ Pacman, Bennett, and Henry on the roster.

For the last time, Bennett averaged two catches a game in the winning streak. Explain to me how he was some huge contributer to the team.

PalmerToCJ
08-29-2007, 10:30 PM
At this point anyone who doesn't think the Titans will have a losing record are completely ate up in my mind. They aren't better than last year, period. They mustered 8-8 with a LOT of lucky breaks that just won't happen this year. VY has been very impressive but there's only so much he can do. I don't see them having a successful running game, no WR's... All he really has is TE's to throw to. No Pacman at CB or return man. I just honestly feel like they'll win 5-6.

TitanAddict
08-29-2007, 10:31 PM
As for our record, I think we'll go 10-6 or 11-5. Wanna see my predictions?

at Jacksonville -- W
Indianapolis -- W
at New Orleans -- L
BYE
Atlanta -- W
at Tampa -- W
at Houston -- W
Oakland -- W
Carolina -- W
Jacksonville -- W
at Denver -- L
at Cincinnati -- L
Houston -- W
San Diego -- L
at Kansas City -- W
New York Jets -- W
at Indianapolis -- L

See? 11-5. I just don't see us losing to Jacksonville or Houston this year. We'll run all over the Colts at home, but they'll beat us on turf. I think we have a favorable schedule.

Ewing
08-29-2007, 10:31 PM
At this point anyone who doesn't think the Titans will have a losing record are completely ate up in my mind. They aren't better than last year, period. They mustered 8-8 with a LOT of lucky breaks that just won't happen this year. VY has been very impressive but there's only so much he can do. I don't see them having a successful running game, no WR's... All he really has is TE's to throw to. No Pacman at CB or return man. I just honestly feel like they'll win 5-6.

As a Titans fan I'm thinking 6-10 or 7-9. I highly doubt they go 2-14 like some people are saying though.

Ewing
08-29-2007, 10:32 PM
As for our record, I think we'll go 10-6 or 11-5. Wanna see my predictions?

at Jacksonville -- W
Indianapolis -- W
at New Orleans -- L
BYE
Atlanta -- W
at Tampa -- W
at Houston -- W
Oakland -- W
Carolina -- W
Jacksonville -- W
at Denver -- L
at Cincinnati -- L
Houston -- W
San Diego -- L
at Kansas City -- W
New York Jets -- W
at Indianapolis -- L

See? 11-5. I just don't see us losing to Jacksonville or Houston this year. We'll run all over the Colts at home, but they'll beat us on turf. I think we have a favorable schedule.

You think we're going to go 5-1 in the division? I wish had that type of confidence.

PalmerToCJ
08-29-2007, 10:34 PM
As a Titans fan I'm thinking 6-10 or 7-9. I highly doubt they go 2-14 like some people are saying though.

I can completely agree with that, I think 7 is a bit much but we're just one game off.

TitanAddict
08-29-2007, 10:38 PM
You think we're going to go 5-1 in the division? I wish had that type of confidence.

I just think that we match up well with the rest of our division. The Colts run defense is going to be awful again. As a run-first team, we'll tear them apart at home on the grass. Our pass rush is better than it's been the last few years. Peyton won't have as much time to pluck us apart. As for the Jags, I think they'll have a bad year and Del Rio will be fired. Leftwich has no confidence and Gerrard is a solid backup, but not an every week starter. They have a good pair of running backs, but it won't be enough. Their defense will have to carry them, but they'll be on the field so much that I think they'll have a worse season than last year. I like the way the Texans are going. I thought about giving us a loss when we visit Houston, except that Vince has made it clear that he will be very focused any time we visit Houston. Man, did the Texans make a mistake when they passed on VY ...
If we played in, say, the AFC West, then I would not have us going 5-1.

duckseason
08-29-2007, 10:41 PM
It just bugs me as a Titans fan when people automatically underestimate our team just because of a few unproven players, and they're skill players at that. I think that's what has TitanAddict upset, but I don't know the conversation he had with Thule that led to the creation of this thread.
You've got to remember that when picking a team as the worst in the league, you've got to pick somebody. In the pre-season, this is especially difficult. No matter who it is, that team will have ways to defend themselves and will have positive attributes to shine a light upon. Looking around the league from an objective point of view, I see few teams who look as weak as Tennessee does on paper at this point. Their defense has been atrocious for the past few years now, and there's no reason to think it'll get any better this year. Fantasy owners love to see Tennessee on their players' schedule like no other. It's a similar story on the offensive side of the ball. Some of us just don't see Vince as superman, which is what he'll likely need to be to keep this team from the cellar or hovering somewhere near there. I'm neither pro or anti-Titan. I couldn't care less how their season turns out this year. It's just that I can take any other team in the league and put them side by side with Tennessee, and every time I'll choose the other team. That's just on paper here in August though. Chances are they'll prove me wrong. Picking #1 is just as hard as picking #32.

Ewing
08-29-2007, 10:43 PM
I can completely agree with that, I think 7 is a bit much but we're just one game off.

I'm fine with people saying 6-10, I just think it's nuts to say they're the absolute worst team in football and will end up drafting McFadden. The Raiders, Falcons, Texans, Lions, Dolphins, Vikings, Bills, Cardinals, Chiefs(when LJ goes down), and Redskins are all just as bad or worse. I fully expect a top fifteen pick but top three is really stretching it.

TitanHope
08-29-2007, 10:52 PM
The other 3 teams haven't improved either. Aside from Houston, who's season is dependent on Schaub, we all lost. I actually think that the division will be more competitive this year than in years past.

And the "luck" argument is starting to wear thin. There's luck in every single game and goes for and against every single team. We had a few instances where we may have gotten lucky, but many of those times were us being optortunistic on our opponent's mistakes. And who's to say that we won't make a few plays next year? Will they be counted as luck too? The Titans shouldn't be discredited for taking advantage of opportunities that our opponents gave us, whether it was from luck or them making a bad play. Vince Young didn't beat Houston by some miracle: They all-out blitzed and Young dodged their defenders and ran for the score. We didn't miraculously beat the Giants: Kiwanuka made a rookie mistake, which isn't uncommon, and we capitolized on turnovers. Bironas wasn't wearing his lucky shoes: He made a kick that he was supposed to make, which is his job. Not to mention, we lost a few close games, so it balanced out a bit. All of our games were competitive, and we never blew anyone out. But its the NFL, so you're not gonna a 40-14 beatdown but once or twice a season. Who is anyone to say we overachieved? We didn't. We played well when it mattered, so we won. We were a .500 ball club not because of the talent we had on roster, but by the way we played.

Dam8610
08-29-2007, 10:54 PM
We'll run all over the Colts at home, but they'll beat us on turf.

You do realize it took over 200 yards of rushing, a miracle one handed INT by Bulluck that turned into a huge momentum swinging TD right before the half, and a miracle 60 yard last second FG for the Titans to beat the Colts by 3 last year, right? I highly doubt all of those factors come together again for your team this year.

TitanAddict
08-29-2007, 10:59 PM
You do realize it took over 200 yards of rushing, a miracle one handed INT by Bulluck that turned into a huge momentum swinging TD right before the half, and a miracle 60 yard last second FG for the Titans to beat the Colts by 3 last year, right? I highly doubt all of those factors come together again for your team this year.

We kept Peyton off the field in the fourth quarter of that game. Surely you remember how Vince completely took over the end of the game? We were tied at the end, ready to win in overtime, but Bironas hit a great kick with the wind at his back and we won. We almost beat you guys at Indy. In fact, the feeling here was that we outplayed the Colts, but Bobby Wade dropped a great would-be TD pass from Young. If Wade makes that catch, we would most likely have swept the Colts last year.

PalmerToCJ
08-29-2007, 11:15 PM
We kept Peyton off the field in the fourth quarter of that game.

Yep, thanks to Travis Henry.

doingthisinsteadofwork
08-29-2007, 11:22 PM
yeah but you forgot they now have Lendale White.Hes proved himself in the NFL.And Chris Henry who couldnt start in HS.

TitanAddict
08-29-2007, 11:30 PM

No, because of Vince Young. I swear, some people don't even watch the games ... We'd run Travis twice and pick up 6-7 yards. Then, Vince would come out of the shutgun and scramble for 5-6 yards. We did this about four times in a row, which ate up several minutes of the clock. The Colts had no answer for VY.

PalmerToCJ
08-29-2007, 11:39 PM
No, because of Vince Young. I swear, some people don't even watch the games ... We'd run Travis twice and pick up 6-7 yards. Then, Vince would come out of the shutgun and scramble for 5-6 yards. We did this about four times in a row, which ate up several minutes of the clock. The Colts had no answer for VY.

Actually I have to apologize on that one, I remembered Henry's big run and that he had a good game but he didn't tear it up in the 4th quarter minus that big run so I was wrong... Won't be the last time :D

TitanAddict
08-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Actually I have to apologize on that one, I remembered Henry's big run and that he had a good game but he didn't tear it up in the 4th quarter minus that big run so I was wrong... Won't be the last time :D

It's okay :)

thebow305
08-30-2007, 12:09 AM

Agreed, Titans are looking at a top 10, maybe even top 5 draft pick this year, mark it down.

Average OT LB
08-30-2007, 12:46 AM
this thread is a joke right? its kinda an excuse to call someone a homer, no facts at all just opinions - and bias ones at that...

i dont feel the titans will be last place.. winning record? noooo way

Shiver
08-30-2007, 01:21 AM

That happened to the Titans a lot last year. See the Giants game as well with the Kiwanuka whiff. Or the Jaguars game where the defense scored three defensive touchdowns and still only won by one possession.

OzTitan
08-30-2007, 02:43 AM
http://www.barkingcarnival.com/doperbo/the-titans

This article sums up a lot of how I feel. Granted, it is written by a Titans fan obviously, but a lot of it makes sense.

I'm not going to sit here and say the Titans will make the playoffs, or they will even have a better record than 06, but most of the reasons that have been driven into the skulls of the collective NFL fan trust about why the Titans have already written off 07 are trivial at best. You'd think the Titans were meant to be a good team last year going off some of the opinions here that they got so much worse. They did what they did in 06 with less than they'll have in 07 from a full team standpoint.

And yeah, there was some luck last year, but if we're going to start talking about the Titans capitalizing on their opponents weaknesses and screwups as "luck", then how about we cover the fact Kerry Freaking Collins started the first 3 games after only just being signed and the Titans proceeded to lose two of those games very late in the game in close fashion as "unlucky"? Or the fact clearly the best OL config wasn't installed until a few weeks in? Or the whiffed block by Hartstock (I think) that lead to the blocking of what was very likely the game winning FG attempt against Baltimore? Or the 1 point loss in Indy where Manning only managed to score the series Woolfolk had to come in at starting corner due to temporary injury? It works both ways people. Sometimes teams just find ways to win where they can. Call it luck if you want, just don't be shocked if this "luck" carries on over to 07. If you actually really look at some of the reasons the Titans are definitely going to suck in 07, you may be surprised how minor they may end up being.

steelersfan43
08-30-2007, 03:26 AM
Id say the only reason your not 0-16 this year is vince, terrible team

Caddy
08-30-2007, 04:07 AM
One reason this shouldn't be a thread, Homerism.

Sniper
08-30-2007, 04:54 AM
And Chris Henry who couldnt start in HS.

But come on! He's 6'2, 230, runs a 4.33! What's that you say? He only averaged 3.3 ypc in college and has no game awareness? Ah **** it pick him

stephenson86
08-30-2007, 08:33 AM

thats the best comeback ive seen on here...ever

LonghornsLegend
08-30-2007, 09:21 AM
at least he explained in detail instead of just ranting and raving about it...

but it doesnt matter what any titans fans think, no one thinks VY will ever do anything in this league, when he makes the playoffs it will be a bunch of reasons why it wasnt because of him, when he wins a playoff game it will be because of the defense, when he wins the super bowl people will point out his qb rating and say it was because of their rb's....

its always something, people have been trying to make excuses for him for the longest, wont ever change trust me

Sniper
08-30-2007, 09:26 AM
at least he explained in detail instead of just ranting and raving about it...

but it doesnt matter what any titans fans think, no one thinks VY will ever do anything in this league, when he makes the playoffs it will be a bunch of reasons why it wasnt because of him, when he wins a playoff game it will be because of the defense, when he wins the super bowl people will point out his qb rating and say it was because of their rb's....

its always something, people have been trying to make excuses for him for the longest, wont ever change trust me

Are you missing all the posts saying VY is the only good thing about the Titans? Stop trying to throw a pity party. Young is amazing, I don't care about his comp %, rating etc...The man wins games. Period. I don't care how he does it, he just does. That's all that matters to me.

scottyboy
08-30-2007, 09:42 AM
ok just answer this for me please. the titans did NOT improve this offseason. I know you're sick of hearing you lost your best WR's, but its true. You also lost Henry, so how did this 8-8 non playoff team improve? they didnt. they got worse, and getting worse than 8-8 to me is sucking... who cares if the colts didnt have an answer for VY, they have a super bowl ring, and he doesnt...

LonghornsLegend
08-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Are you missing all the posts saying VY is the only good thing about the Titans? Stop trying to throw a pity party. Young is amazing, I don't care about his comp %, rating etc...The man wins games. Period. I don't care how he does it, he just does. That's all that matters to me.

pity party? yea sure, ive been running rampid on the boards about vince young the past 3 weeks when will it ever stop *sarcasm*

obviously if you feel otherwise then my post wasnt directed towards you, it was directed towards the people who think that the titans season last yr had more to do with luck and defense then anything else...if u feel otherwise, it wasnt directed towards you...

certain members *shiver* ive had disagreements with about VY as of recently, about the amount of impact he had on their winning streak, so regardless of what a few of you think, stop throwing a hissy fit because i talk about the people who still feel that way...it be different if it were no truth to it, as many titans threads as ive seen in the offseason its been more then half

DeathbyStat
08-30-2007, 09:59 AM
Okay. I try to defend my team's pride by calling Thule a fool (so to speak) when he says the Titans are going to be the worst team in the league next year. All my friends say that the Titans are going to be no better than 8-8. I'VE HAD IT! I am sick and tired of everyone hating on my Titans. This thread is dedicated to all the Titans fans who are SICK AND TIRED of ESPN, CBSsportsline, FOXsports, SI, and NFLDC posters hating on our Titans.

You want some explanation why we're not going to suck? You asked for it. Here it is ...

1. The Offensive Line

The Titans offensive line is a top 10 unit in the league, easily. No one knows this because the offensive line plays in Tennessee. We have two dependable, talented offensive tackles in Michael Roos and David Stewart. Roos is a top five left tackle who should have gone to the pro bowl last year. He is 6'7", 315 with excellent feet. He is a strong run blocker, is excellent in pass protection, and he never commits penalties. Stewart was nick-named "Big Country" when he played at Miss. St. He is also 6'7" and weighs 318. Stewart is a mauling run-blocker and is solid in pass protection as long as he is able to get his hands on the pass rusher. Inside, we have Kevin Mawae who played as if he were five years younger last year. Jacob Bell is a talented young guard who was an upgrade over Zach Piller when he went down early last season with an injury. He has excellent quickness and is a nice complement to Benji Olson, who is more of a "pave-the-way" type guard. Add in Eugene Amano, Leroy Harris, and Daniel Loper, and we have excellent depth as well.

2. The Linebackers

Keith Bulluck is consistently underrated. He hits like a mack truck and covers extremely well for a linebacker. He is a high-energy player and is the heart and soul of our defense. He is the best 4-3 outside linebacker in the league. On the other side we have David Thornton who played very well last year despite battling the injury bug. Thornton is faster and more athletic than Bulluck, but is not quite as strong against the run. On the inside we have a battle between Ryan Fowler (FA from Dallas) and Stephen Tulluch. Fowler excels in stuffing the run while Tulluch is a little better in coverage. Overall, they are also a top 10 unit in the league.

3. The Secondary

Chris Hope is a stud. He was finally able to step out of the shadow of Troy Polamalu last year and was excellent against the run and in coverage. The loss of Pacman will definitelly sting, but our corners should be improved overall, and they have proved themselves so far after three preseason games. Nick Harper (FA from Indianapolis) is solid on one side while either Cortland Finnegan or Michael Griffin should man the other side. Whoever loses the battle will probably play the Nickel spot, which the coaches consider a starting position. Our only question, really, is the free safety spot currently held by Lamont Thompson. While Thompson has played well so far this preseason (2 ints in three games), most Titans fans would prefer Calvin Lowry or Vincent Fuller to win the starting spot. Both are capable starters. Plus, we could always move Griffin to free safety and utilize our amazing cornerback depth by playing Reynaldo Hill, Kelly Herndon, or Eric King in Griff's place.

Albert Haynesworth has a lot to prove after being suspended for five games last year after stomping on Andre Gurode's head. This is a contract year for Big Albert and you know he'll want to get paid. The recent signing of Corey Simon improves depth and could pay off if he stays healthy. KVB is a consistent force off the edge and plays the run well. On the other side, Antwan Odom is looking like a monster thus far in the preseason and is living up to his second round draft pick status. Throw in Travis Laboy, Tony Brown, Randy Starks, and Jesse Mahelona for depth, and the D-Line looks much stronger than last year. Last year in the preseason the Titans gave up 180 rush yards per game. This year they are giving up 80. They have 10 sacks so far (third in the league) and they did amazing against the Patriots' first team offensive line.

5. The Running Backs

Chris Brown and LenDale White have both looked good in the preseason. Chris Henry is human lightning, but still needs to work on blitz pick-up, vision, and patience. I expect LenDale to be the hammer with Chris Brown spelling him and acting as a change-of-pace back. Ahmard Hall is an excellent fullback who plows the road for the ball-carrier and has excellent receiver skills.

6. The receivers/TEs

This is the one that really irks me. Everyone talks about how much we are going to miss Drew Bennett and Bobby Wade. First of all, Drew Bennett was the king of making the amazing 40 yard catch (but probably not for a touchdown) only to drop the ball on a five yard slant on third and four. I think my girlfriend is probably the only Titans fan who is sad to see him go. As for Bobby Wade, he was NOTHING before last year when he did pretty well for us in the slot. I mean, the BEARS let him go and look at their offense! We drafted Chris Davis out of FSU in the fourth round and he should be an upgrade. Brandon Jones and Roydell Williams are legitimate starters and should do just fine on the outside. Hopefully Eric Moulds shows us something during the season, but right now I actually think Justin Gage is playing better than him. Paul Williams was a potential first round pick after his junior season at Fresno, but injuries slowed him down last year. Youtube him and you'll see what kind of talent he has. As for the TEs, Bo Scaife is an excellent all-around TE. He is a solid blocker with good hands. Some are calling him the next Frank Wyceck. Troupe is injury prone, but has shown that he can be an Antonio Gates-type player. He needs to limit his drops and concentrate on his route-running. If he can put it all together this year, that would be a huge bonus.

7. Vince Young

Where do I start? Offensive ROY despite completing about half of his attempts. Four 4th quarter comebacks. A walk-off home run in Houston in overtime against the Texans. Taking a team from an 0-5 start and going 8-3 down the stretch only to miss the playoffs by one game. Vince Young is clutch. He simply knows how to win games. All we have to do is keep things close for three and a half quarters and let Vince do the rest. If you put him in a two minute drill in a shotgun, four wide set, he is practically unstoppable. Ditto for the redzone. It is hard to explain the awesomeness of VY. He is already better than McNair ever was. Only Titans fans who watch all the games will understand that statement. Sure, McNair had some nice statistical seasons and he took us to the Super Bowl, but he didn't have the intangibles that VY has. I used to be really nervous at the end of close games when McNair was the QB. I hoped and held my breath that he wouldn't choke the game away or make a bad decision that would prevent us from winning. It's not the same with Vince. During close games last year down the stretch, I would get excited because I knew we were going to win; I just couldn't wait to see how Vince was going to do it. Even against the Giants last year when we were down 21-0 with 10 minutes left. Vince was having a great game, but Travis Henry had a fumble or two that cost us and our defense wasn't playing great. I looked at my girlfriend and told her that we were going to come back and win. Sure enough, Vince stepped his game up to an even higher level. Pacman took advantage of a couple of Eli Manning choke-throws, and Bironas sealed the deal. It's games like those that have made all us Titans fans believers. I can also understand why Texas Longhorn fans love him so much. I mean, look at the Rose Bowls that he played in! Vince Young is a winner. I fully expect him to dominate the Madden Curse this year. If anyone can do it, Vince can. I tell my friends that he is actually going to somehow deflect the curse upon somebody else -- probably Peyton Manning. If Peyton goes down with an injury this year, it won't be because of Tony Ugoh. Not only do I think the Titans will make the playoffs this year, I think we'll win the division. The Colts are much-maligned due to injury/FA losses. Their defense will keep them from winning several games. The Jaguars have the opposite problem. Their offense is a wreck. They have no WRs and more importantly, no QB. The Texans are moving in the right direction, and will probably have a solid defense this year. I just think that their offense is a year or two away.

Fair points.....but you would probably be better off sucking as you could pick up an elite receiver for Vince to throw to or and elite pass rusher...the team is still a few years away from true contention.

LonghornsLegend
08-30-2007, 10:02 AM
Fair points.....but you would probably be better off sucking as you could pick up an elite receiver for Vince to throw to or and elite pass rusher...the team is still a few years away from true contention.

im not 100% sold thats what norm chow, or jeff fisher really wants, if so why would they pass up meachem and bowe this yr? they might be higher on the idea of a strong o line, good rushing attack, and high caliber TE with the type of qb vince is...I dont think they really feel they need to have an offense like leinart has around with him bolden and fitz for them or vince to be successful, but who knows that could change after this year

Sniper
08-30-2007, 10:26 AM
im not 100% sold thats what norm chow, or jeff fisher really wants, if so why would they pass up meachem and bowe this yr? they might be higher on the idea of a strong o line, good rushing attack, and high caliber TE with the type of qb vince is...I dont think they really feel they need to have an offense like leinart has around with him bolden and fitz for them or vince to be successful, but who knows that could change after this year

They should have taken David Thomas. That guy was a man beast. Now he's New England's 94th TE. But DeSean Jackson or Mario Manningham would be awfully tempting for them next year.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-30-2007, 11:18 AM
David Thomas is a beast. Anyway, I have a complicated view of Vince Young that I would like to share. I like him, I think he has the potential to be great. He won't need to pass like Peyton Manning to be as good as Peyton Manning. But he still is a long way away. He was able to perform well last year, no doubt. But I'm skeptical that he'll be able to run at will next year, as teams now have 13 games of NFL film on him. Obviously he will still get his yards, but I don't think he'll be quite as dominant. That is, unless he DRASTICALLY improves his passing #s. His numbers simply don't cut it for an NFL QB. They weren't bad for a rookie, but then again, it seems many people in the media aren't saying hes a great player for a rookie, theyre saying hes a great player period. Which he isn't, yet. The way it stands now, teams can focus on slowing him down on the ground and they'll barely need to sweat about his passing.

princefielder28
08-30-2007, 11:59 AM
David Thomas is a beast. Anyway, I have a complicated view of Vince Young that I would like to share. I like him, I think he has the potential to be great. He won't need to pass like Peyton Manning to be as good as Peyton Manning. But he still is a long way away. He was able to perform well last year, no doubt. But I'm skeptical that he'll be able to run at will next year, as teams now have 13 games of NFL film on him. Obviously he will still get his yards, but I don't think he'll be quite as dominant. That is, unless he DRASTICALLY improves his passing #s. His numbers simply don't cut it for an NFL QB. They weren't bad for a rookie, but then again, it seems many people in the media aren't saying hes a great player for a rookie, theyre saying hes a great player period. Which he isn't, yet. The way it stands now, teams can focus on slowing him down on the ground and they'll barely need to sweat about his passing.

To add on to that the Titans have not provided Vince with a legit target so he's #s may be even worse

LonghornsLegend
08-30-2007, 12:09 PM
They should have taken David Thomas. That guy was a man beast. Now he's New England's 94th TE. But DeSean Jackson or Mario Manningham would be awfully tempting for them next year.

very much agreed...he was fast and agile...and familiar with Vince, look at how well they clicked at UT...I could go on and on about how good Thomas is, I remember back in 01 he went to OU's summer football camp and almost chose that school, but on a side not id expect him to have a very bright future in NE, they intend on using him as the primary TE target at sum point, but he is emerging somewhat in NE, but he's buried on the depth chart no matter how talented, but bo scaife isnt bad either, id put my money on him being the #1 target in Tenn this year seeing as how B Jones has dissapointed thus far and is behind roydell williams somehow

nobodyinparticular
08-30-2007, 12:23 PM
i'm not reading through all of this drivel, but did some titans fan at least post something that's more than "we're a top ten unit at position X because we have some no name free agents who've looked really good and they're totally awesome?"

if so, i'll go back and read that. unfortunately, the first post is essentially complete homerism, devoid of almost all fact. top ten linebacking corps? are you serious? if bulluck was hurt, you'd be bottom 5, and that's being generous. even with him healthy you're nowhere near top ten. ugh.

I am made very sad by you, njx. When I saw this thread I was very excited to see you respond to at least the first person.

TitanAddict
08-30-2007, 01:02 PM
i'm not reading through all of this drivel, but did some titans fan at least post something that's more than "we're a top ten unit at position X because we have some no name free agents who've looked really good and they're totally awesome?"

if so, i'll go back and read that. unfortunately, the first post is essentially complete homerism, devoid of almost all fact. top ten linebacking corps? are you serious? if bulluck was hurt, you'd be bottom 5, and that's being generous. even with him healthy you're nowhere near top ten. ugh.

Hi, my name is njx9 ... I've got 15 thousand posts ... blah, blah, blah ... The Titans linebackers suck ... blah, blah, blah ... The Titans no-name free agent offensive linemen suck (who in the hell are you referring to?) ... blah, blah, blah ...

Yeah, whatever.

The Unseen
08-30-2007, 01:04 PM

Yeah, they've started all of the preseason games. I'm not sure what that means for the season, though.

princefielder28
08-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Hi, my name is njx9 ... I've got 15 thousand posts ... blah, blah, blah ... The Titans linebackers suck ... blah, blah, blah ... The Titans no-name free agent offensive linemen suck (who in the hell are you referring to?) ... blah, blah, blah ...

Yeah, whatever.

mocking a mod isn't the way to go

Ewing
08-30-2007, 01:31 PM

Yeah, whatever.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f130/Ewing21403/4chan/BAWWWWW.jpg

TitanAddict
08-30-2007, 01:32 PM
flawless counter argument. you sure proved your "position" that the team you root for is really actually incredible and the no name players you listed are really completely amazing athletes that we should all be in awe of. your team has far less talent at just about every single position than 90% of the nfl. you have 2 marquee players, you didn't improve in any way whatsoever on your team from last year and you expect everyone to buy that this is suddenly a much better team? are you serious?

secondarily, where the hell did you grab offensive linemen from? where did i even mention that position in my post? do you have any idea how to read, or are tennessee schools on par with south carolina schools these days?

Your post made it sound like you were mocking my argument that we have a top ten offensive line by talking about no-name free agent additions. I guess you meant something different? Anyway, I think people who diss a team should back it up with legit info.

As for the LBs, we have good depth should Bulluck go down; however, no team would be as good without their best LB. How would the Bears look w/out Urlacher or the Jets w/out Vilma? Thornton, by the way, is underrated. Tulloch and Fowler are both upgrades over Peter Sirmon in the middle and Gilbert Gardner is a solid backup on the outside.

If you are going to act like you are "above" reading one of my posts, at least have the decency to back up your argument with a little knowledge. You made it sound like you don't know anything about the Titans and don't care to, yet you mock my argument anyway.

TitanAddict
08-30-2007, 01:36 PM
I really need to put on some jazz music and have some chocolate ice cream ... It's a tough life defending your team :)

neko4
08-30-2007, 01:37 PM
WHY dont they try and get a good runningback. I doubt Lendale White would make all that great of starter. Chris Brown gets hurt everytime the wind blows. And Chris Henry is a workout warrior, and was probably only worth a day 2 pick. The guy didnt do that well in college and i doubt he has much potential.

TitanAddict
08-30-2007, 01:40 PM
WHY dont they try and get a good runningback. I doubt Lendale White would make all that great of starter. Chris Brown gets hurt everytime the wind blows. And Chris Henry is a workout warrior, and was probably only worth a day 2 pick. The guy didnt do that well in college and i doubt he has much potential.

How about we let LenDale have his chance and then make judgments. Remember, the Titans have the most salary cap space in the league. We could easily have re-signed Travis Henry, Drew Bennett, and Bobby Wade; yet, we chose not to. Doesn't that count for something?

neko4
08-30-2007, 01:49 PM
How about we let LenDale have his chance and then make judgments. Remember, the Titans have the most salary cap space in the league. We could easily have re-signed Travis Henry, Drew Bennett, and Bobby Wade; yet, we chose not to. Doesn't that count for something?

A blind belief that Lendale is the future. He might, but I think he would need a scat back to help him, and i really dont think the talent of the other 2 back's is all that great

PackerLegend
08-30-2007, 01:55 PM
Its funny that everyone on your team is underated and there just the best but nobody knows it yet. They have been eating up the PRESEASON o bOY!! anyways your nuts to think the Titans will go 10-6 11-5, hopefully you meant 5-11 or 6-10 otherwise your just being a homer. Vince Young through more ints then tds last year and completed like 50% of his passes. Yes i know he was a rookie but he had more targets to throw the ball to then he does now they did nothing to help him out at all.

TitanAddict
08-30-2007, 02:14 PM
thornton is underrated? crazy. so is dd lewis. and warrick holdman. that must mean the broncos have the best LB corps in the league.

simply naming a bunch of guys and calling them solid does not a good argument make. since you're trying to convince people that your team doesn't suck, the burden is on you to come up with better reasoning than "we signed undrafted free agent X who's been really good all training camp, so we have a top ten unit at position Y". that's not reasoning and that's not an argument. that's stating an opinion. and since you ARE a titans fan, it's going to come across as "i'm a massive homer who thinks my team is really good because i say they're really good", whether or not that's true.

my opinion:

1) there are hardly any WR groups i wouldn't take over the titans. roby, roydell and paul williams? unproven, young...
2) your RBs are either unproven, injury prone or unproven, lazy AND injury prone. again, there are very few groups in the NFL i wouldn't rather have.
3) your DBs are weak. nick harper wasn't really all that great for indy. pacman is done for the year. your FS is almost as weak as denver's. either way, nick harper is not an improvement over pacman and it's difficult to say griffin would be an upgrade over anyone at this point.
4) besides bulluck, your LBers are extraordinarily mediocre. bulluck is a bona fide stud. but he can only play one spot.
5) assuming haynesworth will come back and play well seems a stretch. assuming odom's preseason play will actually carry over into the regular season is also a stretch. 4.5 sacks in three years does not speak well of his ability in the regular season thus far.
6) let's assume that roos really is a top LT. calling your RT, LG and RG "solid and dependable" does not mean this is a top 5 offensive line. if those are the best adjectives for these guys, there are issues. further, you cannot count on mawae to continue to play well at age 36.

I understand your point, but at some point you have to rely on unproven guys. There is not a team in the NFL without at least some questions. Are you telling me that Adrian Peterson is no good? Of course not. He just hasn't had his opportunity. The same could be said for LenDale. He battled hamstring issues last year while Travis Henry was resurrecting his career. This year he has a chance to shine. I think we should give him his chance before writing him off as an immature fatty.

As for the O-Line, what stats do you want? We had the #5 rushing offense last year and were 10th in sacks allowed. I expect the sacks to go down in VY's second season b/c he should be a little more decisive with the football. Roos is already better than Brad Hopkins was, and David Stewart is an upgrade over "False Start" Fred Miller. Kevin Mawae played like a pro-bowler last year, and Jacob Bell is an up-and-coming guard who has good quickness and is also good in pass protection. Olson, who most ESPN talking heads consider our best lineman, is actually our worst. Many Titan fans would prefer Eugene Amano or even Daniel Loper.

I know you guys think I'm whining and being a cry-baby, but that's not the case. I really don't want to come across that way, but on message boards there is often a misunderstanding of tone. I just want to state my case against those who call the Titans' 8-8 season last year "lucky." If you watched the games, you would know that luck had very little to do with it. If anything, it was a little bit of bad luck that kept us out of the playoffs (close losses to Jets and Dolphins w/ Collins at QB, blocked would-be winning field goal vs. Ravens, dropped TD pass by Bobby Wade that would have beaten the Colts).

I don't think the Titans are alone. The Raiders and Vikings are two teams that i also think are underrated and are not getting their due this offseason. Since this thread was pretty successful, maybe I'll give the Raiders and Vikings some reasons why they won't suck. I guess threads like this are pretty polarizing. You're either all the way with me or all the way against me.

TitanHope
08-30-2007, 02:46 PM
He won 8 games last season without really understanding what the hell he was doing about half the time, coupled with the worst defense in the league.

Lol! I nearly fell out of my chair when I read that!

Also, there shouldn't be arguments about Vince needing a dominant or "#1" receiver. Not that we don't need an upgraded WR corps, but because a Chad Johnson or Stever Smith would be wasted in our offense. Our offense is a Power Running style offense, added with a lot of plays involving the tight end. We're not Cincinnati or Indianapolis, in that we're not gonna open our offense up and go after the opposing defense. We're really conservative, which many Titans fans dislike. But next year it will be run, run, and shotgun on 3rd down. If anything, a deep threat at WR is the only need we'd need so that we could open up the running up and keep the defense honest. We need Antonio Gates, not Torry Holt.

PackerLegend
08-30-2007, 02:49 PM
let me ask you a question, why do you feel the need to come on here and try and tell us reasons why you think the Titans wont suck? Do you think any of us actually care? Does it make you sleep better at night. So now not only do you think the Titans are going to the playoffs you think other sleeper teams are the Raiders and the Vikings and there going to make the playoffs as well? Please just stop talking everytime you do you look more and more like an idiot not to mention a homer.

TitanAddict
08-30-2007, 02:54 PM
let me ask you a question, why do you feel the need to come on here and try and tell us reasons why you think the Titans wont suck? Do you think any of us actually care? Does it make you sleep better at night. So now not only do you think the Titans are going to the playoffs you think other sleeper teams are the Raiders and the Vikings and there going to make the playoffs as well? Please just stop talking everytime you do you look more and more like an idiot not to mention a homer.

Dude, don't be such a Debbie Downer. Why do you post on this site? Because you're a football fan. Aren't we here to talk football? No one is making you participate in this thread. I don't necessarily think the Vikings and Raiders will make the playoffs. I do think that they will be better than prognosticators perceive them to be. Sorry for saying anything ... geeze ...

TitanAddict
08-30-2007, 03:06 PM
i'm not buying that this team picks any lower than pick 5 right now.

Fair enough. We'll agree to disagree. Don't say I didn't try to tell you so :)

Staubach12
08-30-2007, 04:37 PM

1. The Offensive Line

Look, you're lying to yourself. Roos is good, but not top-5 by any stretch of the imagination. Stewart is mediocre at best right now, but he could improve. Mawae has declined, and isn't the player once was. Jacob Bell isn't as good as you think, and Olson is so-so. It's not that great of a unit. Average at best.

2. The Linebackers

Yes, Bullock is one of the best in the game, but not the best at all. This is getting rdiculous. He's not the best in the game, and I think we all know that. Thorton is barely above average, and Fowler is your best MLB and he's average. This is not a top-10 unit.

3. The Secondary

Yes, Chris Hope is good. Yes, Nick Harper is average. Yes, Griffin is good. But if I know anything about secondary, it's that one player can kill the unit, and that's just what LaMont Thompson will do.

Odom and Laboy aren't as good as you make them out to be. They're both big questions for me.

5. The Running Backs

Bahahahahaha! The fact that you would mebntion this makes me laugh. Chris Brown will be good for about 3 weeks, and then get injured. LenDale White has looked good?!?!? Hah! Yeah right, he's been... ugh.Ahmad Hall? No thank you.

6. The receivers/TEs

A 4th round rookie should be an upgrade? You're lying to yourself. Paul Williams was not a potential 1st round pick. He was quite unproductive at Fresno. You're comparing Troupe to Gates!?!? Hahahahaha!

7. Vince Young

VY didn't deserve ROTY and I'll say that 'till my dying day. The only way he'll truly help this team is if he can become a more acccurate passer.

The truth is, you're lying to yourself. You're saying all these players are so great, when the truth is, they're not!

awfullyquiet
08-30-2007, 05:09 PM
mocking a mod isn't the way to go

it's only njx though.

really though.

the titans will probably be somewhere between both of the opinions.

which would be probably 4-12

Dam8610
08-30-2007, 08:15 PM
We kept Peyton off the field in the fourth quarter of that game. Surely you remember how Vince completely took over the end of the game? We were tied at the end, ready to win in overtime, but Bironas hit a great kick with the wind at his back and we won. We almost beat you guys at Indy. In fact, the feeling here was that we outplayed the Colts, but Bobby Wade dropped a great would-be TD pass from Young. If Wade makes that catch, we would most likely have swept the Colts last year.

You don't get what I'm saying do you? It took an incredible amount of good fortune going in the Titans' favor for them to beat the Colts by 3. When a team wins the turnover battle (by more than 1 I believe, but I'm not 100% sure on that), scores a TD off of a turnover, and gains 200 yards on the ground, it should not take a last second field goal for that team to beat their opponent, and if it does, that usually says a lot about the quality of the two teams. Things that went right for the Titans in that game that I highly doubt will happen in either of the meetings this year:

1) Gaining 200 yards on the ground
2) Keith Bulluck snagging a Peyton Manning pass out of the air with one hand, giving the ball back to the Titans right before the half with great field position
3) The Titans offense capitalizing on a late first half turnover and great field position to turn an 11 point deficit into a 4 point deficit.
4) Winning the turnover battle
5) Rob Bironas hits a GW 60 yard field goal

If any of those things happens in either matchup (barring a Bob Sanders injury, at which point #1 is a possibility), I'll be shocked.

LonghornsLegend
08-30-2007, 08:48 PM
1) Gaining 200 yards on the ground

i surely dont see how you can rule that out...you act like you guys got better with your run defense...

and once again, the whole "good fortune" crap is so old...you act like the Colts didnt get an incredible amount of "good fortune" to happen to them during the playoffs last year...

but I guess you think that you were supposed to win those first 2 playoff games with Manning playing the way he did, or did it take some luck? This is football, not mathematics or geometry, everything isnt facts or the way you think it should go...

There are always things that happen in the game like you just listed, they didnt only happen to the titans...

OzTitan
08-30-2007, 09:00 PM

Oh they've tried. Caddy, Ronnie and Benson were Titans in 05, if they lasted. Steven Jackson and Larry Johnson went 1 pick before the Titans respectively, and would have likely been the choice. I think they have tried to draft a HB early, they've just been in lousy positions to do so.

BTW, people NFL secondaries are only as good as their weakest starting position. Losing Pacman sucks (even though I could have sworn the same people were saying he wasn't that great when he was on the team), but don't be surprised if the Titans secondary is superior to last year's, where Hill and Thompson really stank it up. Bailey wouldn't have helped that secondary if you have trash starting elsewhere.

The CB depth is much improved, and the FS position is hopefully occupied by someone less prone to high school level mistakes than Thompson. Again, you have to actually look just a tad deeper than ESPN headlines and presumptions based on who won't be there to see these things. Also, if DE isn't decimated by injury again, a better pass rush will exist which helps everything. The D has, overall, looked much better this year and should be better if they can stay relatively healthy.

OzTitan
08-30-2007, 09:01 PM
And it didn't take good fortune for the Colts to beat the Titans by 1 at home? Oh right, they just flat out beat them, ok my bad :rolleyes:

Dude, it's called good football. Clutch kickers hit clutch kicks. Good rushing offenses trample bad rushing defenses. The Titans D *completely* contained the Colts O last year and the Colts had exactly 0.0 answers for VY's ball control - they deserved to win both games, and definitely the one they did.

I swear, some people around here seem to think the only way you deservingly win a football game is with 300+ passing yards and no scores off turnovers, and even then they'd squirm their way to excuses. Football is a very random sport, but some teams find ways to shift the random outcomes to their favor by playing well and playing smart when it counts the most. The Titans did a lot of that last year. It doesn't make any of their wins less deserving than any other team's.

Dam8610
08-30-2007, 10:31 PM
i surely dont see how you can rule that out...you act like you guys got better with your run defense...

And you act like your RB situation didn't get ten times worse than what it was. I can't see LenDale White, Chris Brown, or Chris Henry providing the type of ground game the Titans would need to get 200 rushing yards, even if the Colts' run defense is the worst in the league again this year.

and once again, the whole "good fortune" crap is so old...you act like the Colts didnt get an incredible amount of "good fortune" to happen to them during the playoffs last year...

I'm just stating everything that was in the Titans favor, and then stating the obvious, that they only won by 3, but WITH all those advantages. When a team wins the turnover battle, scored a TD off a turnover, and gains 200 yards on the ground, they should win by much more than 3. The fact that the Titans won by 3 with all those advantages pretty much shows that they were an inferior team that needed every break to go in their favor to win the game. Obviously the Colts had some lucky bounces to win the Super Bowl, as any team that wins the Super Bowl does, but what relevancy does that have to the discussion at hand? None really, so I don't see the point in you even bringing it up.

but I guess you think that you were supposed to win those first 2 playoff games with Manning playing the way he did, or did it take some luck? This is football, not mathematics or geometry, everything isnt facts or the way you think it should go...

You're talking about entirely different scenarios with entirely different circumstances, such as the Colts did not lose the turnover battle in either of those games (it was even in both), the Colts did not give up 100 yards rushing in either of those games, and they did significantly better than the other team in many other categories, which is why they won those games. The COLTS played well enough to win those games.

There are always things that happen in the game like you just listed, they didnt only happen to the titans...

You're completely missing my point. Those things I listed are EXTREME advantages in a football game. When they combine in one team's favor, that SHOULD lead to a blowout for that team. When it doesn't, it suggests that the quality of the team that has the advantages is much lesser than the quality of the team that doesn't. Follow the logic there?

TitanHope
08-30-2007, 11:11 PM
...Bullock...Thorton...Ahmad Hall...

No offense, but how do you get off criticizing TitanAddict's opinions when you can't even correctly spell the Titans' players' names? I mean, the names were in the post you were trashing? Honestly? Like, are you for serious? For reals, bro? Fo' reals?! And for someone who lives in Nashville, you don't know much about the Titans. My first sentence's point can attest to this.

smittyjs
08-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Well smitty is finally here(just got back from the titans game).to this "fight"....

At RB we will be fine, we have three guys that can make thing happen and two have looked really good, White Which he breaks tackle here and always gets some type of postive yards aka EG style. there is brown who has shown some flashes of his pre injuries abilty which help him lead the NFL in rushing up to about game 10 of the 04 season. Are O-line is one of the best young lines out there, tow of the best young tackles out and a very good starter in kevin mawae and Jacob bell, both could start for over have the current NFL teams, and Olson has looked good, we also have some talented depth there too.
Weak point is are WR's, Jones is great young WR, but a #2 IMO and Moulds will help if used in slot. Williams have shown some flashes, but really we have two many ? marks there and alot of guys at the same talent level. Young has looked great at running the offense, he should have a ok second year. TE Bo scaife we are praying that his knees hold up, because he is one of are main vocal point in this offense, tropue will needs some big palys to get a new contract....
On Defense are line has looked 100 percent improved this year, LB have looked pretty good, but really only Bulluck is standing out as always to me. Even through losing one of the best CB in the NFL, we still have talent at DB, Harper has held his own and cortalnd finnegan has looked good as are #2 CB, Hill haven't played to much and Griffins has shown flashes, Kelly herndon hasn't looked too bad either. lamont Thompson could be the biggest surprise, he has looked pretty good this pre season and should hold on to his starting job :eek: and Chris hope is a beast. ST is overall pretty good, but losing a badass playmaker like pac attack hurts us, but hey Davis didn't look so bad to me tonight if you know what i mean....;)

Overall i see us as a 7-9 team up to a 9-7 team. And a very good chance at #2 in are division.

CC.SD
08-30-2007, 11:59 PM
This thread is like the science club psyching themselves up for the big dance.

RaiderNation
08-31-2007, 12:05 AM
HOMER!!!!!

zoinks
08-31-2007, 01:24 AM
Another Titans fan chiming in....

What really gets me is the people who point to Travis Henry, Drew Bennett, and Bobby Wade as supposedly major losses.

Travis Henry had less than 400 yards rushing in 2004 and 2005. He was very much on the bubble in camp last year....and once the season started, Henry averaged a whopping 2.7 yards per carry through the first four games of the season. (Call me crazy...but last time I checked, 2.7 ypc was crap).

Then two things happened: the Titans shuffled the O-line, and Vince Young took over at QB. Young's mobility forced DE's to play outside containment, defending against rollouts and bootlegs; this opened up holes between the tackles, and suddenly Travis Henry is averaging nearly 5 yards per carry. Same guy. Of course, Travis is in Denver now....but the O-line is returning all five starters...and of course, Vince is still Vince.

Wade was a guy the Titans picked up off the trash heap after the Bears cut him midseason in '05....too many fumbles. He's a decent slot receiver with average hands....nothing more.

Drew Bennett is a great #3 WR and a good #2...but the sad truth is, he's been one of the league's most inconsistent and least productive #1's for two years running. He's scared to death of safeties, disappears for 2-3 games at a time, and has an uncanny knack for dropping deep passes that hit him in the hands. His entire reputation is built on an phenomenal 4-game stretch back in 2004. Since then, his performance has been spotty at best......he'd catch 6 balls one week.....then 6 more catches in the next four games combined. I like Drew, but he's easily replaced.

As far as losing Pacman Jones.....it will certainly hurt on ST. But in all honesty, the secondary will be fine without him.

Look at it from an opposing QB's point of view: One one side of the field, you have Pacman Jones and Pro Bowl caliber SS Chris Hope; on the other side, a mediocre Reynaldo Hill and a piss-poor Lamont Thompson. Where are you going with the ball? That's easy....the path of least resistance.

Thanks to Hill and Thompson, both of whom were terrible liabilities in coverage, there were several games where the QB never threw at Pacman. (Smart QB's usually don't. Peyton, Brady, and Phillip Rivers avoided him like the plague). This was partly due to Pacman's talent...but mostly, it was because they knew Hill and Thompson were easy marks...a TD or big play
waiting to happen. And it did....time and time again.

This year, both players find themselves on the bench...possibly even off the roster completely. The Titans now have solid players all around. They may not have anyone of Pacman's stature, but they also don't have any glaring holes. As far as Nick Harper goes, he's made some plays, and as a veteran FA he'll likely be starting on opening day....but at this point, he looks like the third best corner on the roster, behind Cortland Finnegan and Michael Griffin. Expect these two to be the Titans' starters no later than week 8.....and possibly a lot sooner. These guys are fast, physical playmakers, and they're gonna make a lot of people sit up and take notice. Gua-rohn-teed.

"And that's all I have to say about that."

OzTitan
08-31-2007, 09:25 AM
I think he meant, the net changes in the secondary will result in a better overall group. Obviously having Pacman would make them an even better group, but losing him doesn't instantly make them a worse group than 06, either.

OzTitan
08-31-2007, 09:57 AM
Again, secondaries can't be much better than their weakest link. The Titans 07 crew have a lot more depth at CB (Harper, Herndon and Griffin are all upgrades - huge as they play in Nickel a lot of the time), and hopefully the terrible Lamont Thompson is taken out of the lineup, and while he won't likely be replaced with a spectacular player, just one who doesn't take his terrible angles and who doesn't find himself constantly out of position will be an upgrade. The secondary, as a group, should be better - give me 4 solid guys over 2 great guys and 2 terrible guys any day.

As for the D as a whole, the MLB position was upgraded because Sirmon was just so slow and weak last year. Since the MLB isn't on a whole lot for the Titans, Sirmon's strength (play calling, intelligence) became almost redundant when he moved from OLB to MLB because he was largely stripped of those responsibilities not being an every down LB. All that is needed for us at MLB is run stopping savvy, which Fowler and Tulloch both are far better at.

DL wise, it can only get better if health isn't a huge issue. DE was decimated last year and AH with his suspension and some injuries was also less effective. Add Simon and you have better depth again.

If they can avoid crippling injury, the Titans D should be better. With Pacman it could be seriously better, but without him, still quite possibly better.

Bobo
08-31-2007, 08:44 PM
Losing Pac hurts, no doubt. Like other Titans fans have said, the unit as a whole could be better. Hill played bad last year (although they've recently said he played with 2 injuries most of the year). Looks like he's been replaced by Cortland Finnegan....and Titans fans are familiar with this guy, and want him starting. And you can't get much worse than Lamont Thompson at S. Looks like he's getting replaced by Calvin Lowry.

One position remains the same - Chris Hope
One position almost certainly is an upgrade - Lowry over LT
One position is a downgrade - Pac to Nick Harper
One position should be an upgrade - Hill to Finnegan

We'll see how things turn out, but it's not just homeristic logic here that this secondary could be better. Not to mention the d-line has been changed around, and looks a lot better pressure wise....but again, we'll just wait and see. They've also stopped the run well.

I think Travis Henry is a better back than Lendale and Brown. I also think even an average back can look above average behind this o-line. I expect just a slight drop off there.

Drew Bennett is very hot and cold, had several injuries, and doesn't have very good hands. We could see a downgrade from him to Brandon Jones or Eric Moulds, but I doubt much. Bobby Wade? Come on. Dude was ok, but he's an average #3 on most teams. I can't see a scenario where one of our youngsters can't replace him, and probably better him.

Peter Sirmon is not the Mike anymore.....YAY! I liked Pete as a Sam, but after blowing out his knee and changing postions, he looked bad. This is another case like Lamont Thompson, just about anyone should be an upgrade.

Ben Troupe could break out this year if he stays healthy. If not, no change from last year. But he was a bit lost last year compared to 05, so I'd say it's likely we get more production from him.

I think I'm swaying more towards pessimism when I guess 7-9 for this year. Things could happen like VY in a sophmore slump, or teams figuring out how to contain him better. Henry could be a bigger lose than we think. But there are plenty of reasons why this team could improve.

I'll say one thing, don't just believe what ESPN or whoever says about this team. There's so much crap media out there, but I think that's where most people get their opinions from.

MicktheGreat
09-01-2007, 12:31 AM
Let me preface this by saying that I know TitanAddict and I hardly ever agree with him on anything. Having said that...I actually think he's right (for the most part) about the Titans this year...

QB -- VY is a stud. Everyone knows that. He wasn't a great passer last season; however, I think he'll make some small steps in the right direction this year as he now has more experience with the playbook. On a side note, backup Kerry Collins has looked really good this preseason (and this is coming from the BIGGEST Kerry-Collins-hater EVER) -- he's making his progressions very quickly and still has the strong arm. Of course, hopefully, the Titans will never have to use Collins; but from a practical standpoint, it is good to know that you have a capable backup just in case.

RB -- Travis Henry was the offensive MVP last season, and his loss will hurt the Titans. HOWEVER, don't overlook the guys that they have running the ball this season. Lendale White has looked good in the preseason and looked good in limited time last season. Chris Brown (while an injury risk) is a proven 1,000 yard rusher. Chris Henry needs to work on his blitz-pickup but he's an interesting talent whose role will mostly be on special teams this season and making receptions out-of-the-backfield (he's a very good receiving RB). Coach Fisher has proven in the past his preference for a run-first team, and the OL is pretty good. Overall, I think Lendale will get about 20 carries a game with Brown getting 5-8 (which should help to keep him healthy). Remember...nobody expected Travis Henry to have a big year last season; so in the same manner, it's not unrealistic for Lendale or Brown (neither of whom people expect much from) to have a big year.

FB -- I don't know a single Titans' fan who doesn't love Ahmard Hall. The guy is 100% heart. He plays hard, hardly ever misses a block, has good hands, and is pretty shifty when he gets ahold of the ball. I have no doubt he'll make a Pro-Bowl at some point in his career.

WR -- Probably the most controversial part of the team. Yes...the Titans lost Drew Bennett & Bobby Wade. But, if you watched the Titans last season, you'd know that the loss of Bennett will essentially be a non-factor. There were several instances last season where Bennett dropped easy passes, and (despite his size) he was invisible in the redzone. Personally, I thought the loss of Bobby Wade was MUCH worse than the loss of Bennett because Wade was pretty clutch as the #3 WR and also contributed on special-teams. That said, Wade was the #3 WR -- meaning that we should be able to replace his production with someone. As far as this year's group, Brandon Jones has the ability to be a very good #2 WR in the NFL if he can improve on his consistency a bit. And Roydell Williams has been an absolute stud this offseason -- not only as a speed-threat but he also been catching everything thrown his way. Chris Davis is a talented WR who is also a spectacular return guy on special teams. Eric Moulds provides some veteran leadership -- although, it's clear so far in the preseason that he doesn't have the rapport with VY that some of the other WRs have. Paul Williams & Biran Ealy are very intriguing developmental WRs. Overall...considering the fact that Bennett was over-rated last season, I'd expect this season's WR-core to be as good (and, surprisingly, maybe even a little better) than last year's group.

TE -- Bo Scaife reminds me a lot of Frank Wycheck. He's a very good blocker and has reliable hands. He's not terribly athletic but very dependable, has a great rapport with VY, and is a threat in the redzone. Troupe has consistency issues; but if (albeit a big "if") he can ever get the mental aspects under control, he'd be one of the premier receiving TEs in the league.

OL -- Quietly, one of the better units in the league. Roos is the best OT that you've probably never seen play; and Stewart has an absolute mean-streak (especially in the run-game). Olson is a little overrated at this point in his career; however, Jacob Bell is very underrated because of his ability to play multiple positions on the line. Kevin Mawae is a hall-of-famer who is still productive and provide leadership. Personally, I'm a little concerned about the depth on the OL; but if the starters can stay healthy, they will continue to have a good run game.

DL -- I was a big critic of this unit last season, but they look much improved so far. KVB is a pro-bowler who's good against the run and the pass. If Antwan Odom can stay healthy, he should provide a solid rotation with pass-rushing specialist Travis LaBoy. The signing of Corey Simon not only gives us depth at DT but allows under-rated Tony Brown to play both DT and DE (dependent upon the situation). Haynesworth is still uber-talented but he has a tendency to make mental mistakes. Overall, I think the DL will be a solid (if unspectacular) unit.

LB -- The starters are very good. The tandem of Bulluck & Thornton is pretty imposing; and the competition at MLB is stout between a couple of young players in Ryan Fowler and Stephen Tulloch. The concern I have with the LBs is a question of depth.

DB -- The secondary lost Pacman. And they're better this year because of it. As crazy as that sounds, it's true. No doubt Pacman is a phenomenal talent; however, he was still learning how to be better in coverage. Plus, there were always distracting, off-the-field issues with Pac -- his absence should bring some calm to this unit (so...while he'll be missed on special teams, his loss at CB isn't as devastating as many think). Nick Harper's proven that he can be a #1 CB in the NFL -- he's not super talented but he's a smart and reliable player. Expected #2 CB Cortland Finnegan is another very good player that most people haven't heard of. He made big plays every week last season and has looked very good this offseason as well. As far as rookie Michael Griffin goes, I was hesitant about his move to CB; however, he's looked exceptional so far -- good in coverage and VERY good against the run (he'll be a good #3 CB this season). Backups Reynaldo Hill, Kelly Herndon, and Eric King are all solid players. Safety Chris Hope is an all-around great player. The weakness in the secondary is at the FS position where Lamont Thompson is easily burned deep (and he may be cut anyway) and where Calvin Lowry & Vincent Fuller are unproven.

Overall...I think the Titans will take a slight step-back this season, missing the playoffs and realistically finishing 6-10. Like every single team in the NFL, much will depend on injury; however, I'd be shocked if the Titans finished as the worst team in the league, as many are suggesting.

TitanAddict
09-01-2007, 12:52 AM
Overall...I think the Titans will take a slight step-back this season, missing the playoffs and realistically finishing 6-10. Like every single team in the NFL, much will depend on injury; however, I'd be shocked if the Titans finished as the worst team in the league, as many are suggesting.

Where be tha faith, brutha?

Shiver
09-01-2007, 01:01 AM

http://www.lostpedia.com/images/thumb/e/e1/Lost_moments_desmond_2.JPG/180px-Lost_moments_desmond_2.JPG

TitanAddict
09-01-2007, 02:02 AM
http://www.lostpedia.com/images/thumb/e/e1/Lost_moments_desmond_2.JPG/180px-Lost_moments_desmond_2.JPG

Sweet Jesus!

MicktheGreat
09-01-2007, 08:47 AM
I'm just being a realist. Looking at the schedule, we have some tough stretches (including weeks 1-3 & weeks 10-12) against very good teams. With a little luck here-and-there, I think the Titans could finish as well as 9-7. However, I'm usually a little conservative as far as my predictions go.

I really think the Titans are moving in the right direction; and sometimes, you have to take a small step-back to then take three big steps forward. As far as I can think, we only have one big FA up for grabs after next year (Albert Haynesworth). With a good draft and another offseason of solid FA moves, I think the Titans could be a legit playoff team in 2008.

Caddy
09-01-2007, 09:00 AM
Let me preface this by saying that I know TitanAddict and I hardly ever agree with him on anything. Having said that...I actually think he's right (for the most part) about the Titans this year...

QB -- VY is a stud. Everyone knows that. He wasn't a great passer last season; however, I think he'll make some small steps in the right direction this year as he now has more experience with the playbook. On a side note, backup Kerry Collins has looked really good this preseason (and this is coming from the BIGGEST Kerry-Collins-hater EVER) -- he's making his progressions very quickly and still has the strong arm. Of course, hopefully, the Titans will never have to use Collins; but from a practical standpoint, it is good to know that you have a capable backup just in case.

RB -- Travis Henry was the offensive MVP last season, and his loss will hurt the Titans. HOWEVER, don't overlook the guys that they have running the ball this season. Lendale White has looked good in the preseason and looked good in limited time last season. Chris Brown (while an injury risk) is a proven 1,000 yard rusher. Chris Henry needs to work on his blitz-pickup but he's an interesting talent whose role will mostly be on special teams this season and making receptions out-of-the-backfield (he's a very good receiving RB). Coach Fisher has proven in the past his preference for a run-first team, and the OL is pretty good. Overall, I think Lendale will get about 20 carries a game with Brown getting 5-8 (which should help to keep him healthy). Remember...nobody expected Travis Henry to have a big year last season; so in the same manner, it's not unrealistic for Lendale or Brown (neither of whom people expect much from) to have a big year.

FB -- I don't know a single Titans' fan who doesn't love Ahmard Hall. The guy is 100% heart. He plays hard, hardly ever misses a block, has good hands, and is pretty shifty when he gets ahold of the ball. I have no doubt he'll make a Pro-Bowl at some point in his career.

WR -- Probably the most controversial part of the team. Yes...the Titans lost Drew Bennett & Bobby Wade. But, if you watched the Titans last season, you'd know that the loss of Bennett will essentially be a non-factor. There were several instances last season where Bennett dropped easy passes, and (despite his size) he was invisible in the redzone. Personally, I thought the loss of Bobby Wade was MUCH worse than the loss of Bennett because Wade was pretty clutch as the #3 WR and also contributed on special-teams. That said, Wade was the #3 WR -- meaning that we should be able to replace his production with someone. As far as this year's group, Brandon Jones has the ability to be a very good #2 WR in the NFL if he can improve on his consistency a bit. And Roydell Williams has been an absolute stud this offseason -- not only as a speed-threat but he also been catching everything thrown his way. Chris Davis is a talented WR who is also a spectacular return guy on special teams. Eric Moulds provides some veteran leadership -- although, it's clear so far in the preseason that he doesn't have the rapport with VY that some of the other WRs have. Paul Williams & Biran Ealy are very intriguing developmental WRs. Overall...considering the fact that Bennett was over-rated last season, I'd expect this season's WR-core to be as good (and, surprisingly, maybe even a little better) than last year's group.

TE -- Bo Scaife reminds me a lot of Frank Wycheck. He's a very good blocker and has reliable hands. He's not terribly athletic but very dependable, has a great rapport with VY, and is a threat in the redzone. Troupe has consistency issues; but if (albeit a big "if") he can ever get the mental aspects under control, he'd be one of the premier receiving TEs in the league.

OL -- Quietly, one of the better units in the league. Roos is the best OT that you've probably never seen play; and Stewart has an absolute mean-streak (especially in the run-game). Olson is a little overrated at this point in his career; however, Jacob Bell is very underrated because of his ability to play multiple positions on the line. Kevin Mawae is a hall-of-famer who is still productive and provide leadership. Personally, I'm a little concerned about the depth on the OL; but if the starters can stay healthy, they will continue to have a good run game.

DL -- I was a big critic of this unit last season, but they look much improved so far. KVB is a pro-bowler who's good against the run and the pass. If Antwan Odom can stay healthy, he should provide a solid rotation with pass-rushing specialist Travis LaBoy. The signing of Corey Simon not only gives us depth at DT but allows under-rated Tony Brown to play both DT and DE (dependent upon the situation). Haynesworth is still uber-talented but he has a tendency to make mental mistakes. Overall, I think the DL will be a solid (if unspectacular) unit.

LB -- The starters are very good. The tandem of Bulluck & Thornton is pretty imposing; and the competition at MLB is stout between a couple of young players in Ryan Fowler and Stephen Tulloch. The concern I have with the LBs is a question of depth.

DB -- The secondary lost Pacman. And they're better this year because of it. As crazy as that sounds, it's true. No doubt Pacman is a phenomenal talent; however, he was still learning how to be better in coverage. Plus, there were always distracting, off-the-field issues with Pac -- his absence should bring some calm to this unit (so...while he'll be missed on special teams, his loss at CB isn't as devastating as many think). Nick Harper's proven that he can be a #1 CB in the NFL -- he's not super talented but he's a smart and reliable player. Expected #2 CB Cortland Finnegan is another very good player that most people haven't heard of. He made big plays every week last season and has looked very good this offseason as well. As far as rookie Michael Griffin goes, I was hesitant about his move to CB; however, he's looked exceptional so far -- good in coverage and VERY good against the run (he'll be a good #3 CB this season). Backups Reynaldo Hill, Kelly Herndon, and Eric King are all solid players. Safety Chris Hope is an all-around great player. The weakness in the secondary is at the FS position where Lamont Thompson is easily burned deep (and he may be cut anyway) and where Calvin Lowry & Vincent Fuller are unproven.

The only problem I have about saying something like this is that only the positive aspects of the team have been mentioned. I could go through my Bucs highlighting the positives of each position. But does that make them a 9-7 team? I like any other fan love the optimism but a line has to be drawn somewhere.

MicktheGreat
09-01-2007, 10:52 AM
The only problem I have about saying something like this is that only the positive aspects of the team have been mentioned. I could go through my Bucs highlighting the positives of each position. But does that make them a 9-7 team? I like any other fan love the optimism but a line has to be drawn somewhere.

Not sure that I really understand your point here about me ONLY pointing out the positives in my original post...

From my original post:
"Travis Henry was the offensive MVP last season, and his loss will hurt the Titans."

"Personally, I'm a little concerned about the depth on the OL."

"The concern I have with the LBs is a question of depth."

"The weakness in the secondary is at the FS position where Lamont Thompson is easily burned deep (and he may be cut anyway) and where Calvin Lowry & Vincent Fuller are unproven."

"Overall...I think the Titans will take a slight step-back this season, missing the playoffs and realistically finishing 6-10."

Basically, the point I was attempting to make is that the Titans DO have weaknesses. However, I feel that most people are basing their view of the Titans off either ESPN "experts" or their own very limited observance of the Titans. Most "experts," non-fans, and FF-owners will say that the Titans major concerns are at RB, WR, & CB. This is simply incorrect -- probably because people tend to focus on those "glamour" positions.

The REAL concern for the Titans this year will be OL depth (ESPECIALLY at OT), LB depth, and FS (which has been our biggest DEF deficiency for years with the horrendous Lamont Thompson). If we suffer a big injury at OT or LB, we're basically screwed. And unless Lamont Thompson suddenly becomes a much better player or Lowry/Fuller really step-up, FS will continue to be the weak link in the secondary.

Again...I'm not predicting a Superbowl season for the Titans. I'm not even predicting a playoff appearance. Nor am I predicting even a winning record (although, I think if we get a LOT of lucky breaks then we could achieve that). I'm predicting a 6-10 record -- something that would give us a top-10 pick in next year's draft. However, I'd be completely surprised if we end up as the worst team in the league...