PDA

View Full Version : Portis may be lame duck in DC?

Splat
08-30-2007, 12:01 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors

After a 2006 season that ended early because of shoulder and hand injuries and a forgettable preseason, Washington Redskins (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/was/) running back Clinton Portis (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5937/) admits this season may be his last with the team.

"The world forgot about me this year," he said. "I have to make it work this year or I'll be out of here and probably be doing these same interviews somewhere else."

princefielder28
08-30-2007, 12:03 PM
He hasn't lived up to the billing since he arrived in DC and Ladell Betts puts up better production at a cheaper price.

LonghornsLegend
08-30-2007, 12:12 PM
He hasn't lived up to the billing since he arrived in DC and Ladell Betts puts up better production at a cheaper price.

yes thats very true...but where would he fit in at? id suspect a team wanting to use him with a bruiser to keep him fresh and healthy, unless its a team that using a ZBS

Splat
08-30-2007, 12:14 PM
yes thats very true...but where would he fit in at? id suspect a team wanting to use him with a bruiser to keep him fresh and healthy, unless its a team that using a ZBS

I could see Houston making a strong push for him that being said I really don't think he leaves DC.

princefielder28
08-30-2007, 12:15 PM

Atlanta could be a possibility with Warrick Dunn almost done and if they don't believe Jerious norwood can be the feature back in their system

remix 6
08-30-2007, 12:24 PM

you mean a 1300 and 1500 yard seasons arent good enough?

hes not a power back and they tried to make him 1 when he came there. last year the team switched offensive style but he was hurting

Flyboy
08-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Atlanta could be a possibility with Warrick Dunn almost done and if they don't believe Jerious norwood can be the feature back in their system

That was the exact team that came to my mind first.

Bills2083
08-30-2007, 12:27 PM
What other RBs are becoming free agents next year?

AFC teams that might be interested in Portis

-Cleveland (Jamal Lewis might not work out, and Dallas has their 1st)
-Tennessee (Chris Brown is fragile, Lendale White is overweight, and Chris Henry is a workout warrior)

NFC
-Dallas (Will probably draft McFadden though)
-Detroit (If Kevin Jones doesn't fully recover)
-Atlana (Dunn is getting pretty old, and nobody really knows what Norwood can do yet)

GB12
08-30-2007, 12:27 PM
If they choose Ladell Betts over Portis they are making a HUGE mistake. If he does become available though I want him in Green Bay.

PACKmanN
08-30-2007, 12:37 PM
I think Morency is a RFA next year so if Portis does test the market I hope he come here, man I would love having a top 5 running back on our team.

WMD
08-30-2007, 01:08 PM
How about the Giants? He could fit well in a 1-2 Punch combo with Brandon Jacobs.

neko4
08-30-2007, 01:46 PM
I think he'll stay in DC and have a comeback year. But, Washington does need to make plans for thr future right now, and Betts is 28 (though last year was the first year he got a lot of playing time, but he did have injury problems early on)

I think they should keep both and use Portis' speed and Betts' power.
(Kinda like John Riggins and Joe Washington)

skinzzfan25
08-30-2007, 02:31 PM
CP isn't going anywhere, unless he makes that decision. Betts is the perfect relief back, he comes in with fresh legs and hits the hole hard. He has too much trouble fumbling the ball, and can't get to the endzone. He is also terrible at picking up blitzing linebackers/DBs. Part of the reason Campbell is getting mauled this preseason is Betts whiffing on so many blocks.

I think Clinton means that he needs to step his game up this season, and if he doesn't he is on the hot seat, and rightfully so.

boisefan
08-30-2007, 02:37 PM
CP isn't going anywhere, unless he makes that decision. Betts is the perfect relief back, he comes in with fresh legs and hits the hole hard. He has too much trouble fumbling the ball, and can't get to the endzone. He is also terrible at picking up blitzing linebackers/DBs. Part of the reason Campbell is getting mauled this preseason is Betts whiffing on so many blocks.

I think Clinton means that he needs to step his game up this season, and if he doesn't he is on the hot seat, and rightfully so.

I agree 100%

nfrillman
08-30-2007, 02:49 PM
I think Morency is a RFA next year so if Portis does test the market I hope he come here, man I would love having a top 5 running back on our team.

Haha, good one, top 5. How about LT, Jackson, LJ, Gore, Alexander, Parker, Rudi, and Westbrook. I guess you forgot about those guys, but Portis might be a top 10 RB, might be.

PackerLegend
08-30-2007, 02:54 PM
If they choose Ladell Betts over Portis they are making a HUGE mistake. If he does become available though I want him in Green Bay.

I agree 100% come to GREEN BAY!

remix 6
08-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Haha, good one, top 5. How about LT, Jackson, LJ, Gore, Alexander, Parker, Rudi, and Westbrook. I guess you forgot about those guys, but Portis might be a top 10 RB, might be.

might be? Portis is a top 6 back imo

1. LT
2. LJ
3. SJ
4. FG
5. Portis/Westbrook
6. ^other 1
7. RJ
8. WP

21ST
08-30-2007, 02:57 PM

LOL you cant be serious, the only people you named better than CP are LT, Alexander and LJ.

princefielder28
08-30-2007, 02:58 PM
I agree 100% come to GREEN BAY!

I would love to see that, but I doubt Ted Thompson throws money at a RB who has had an injury plagued past, and I'm sure he'll give 2nd round pick Brandon Jackson time to prove himself before they make a big investment in another back.

nfrillman
08-30-2007, 03:03 PM
LOL you cant be serious, the only people you named better than CP are LT, Alexander and LJ.

If you are telling me you would rather the Redskins have Portis instead of Steven Jackson you are out of your mind.

princefielder28
08-30-2007, 03:04 PM
If you are telling me you would rather the Redskins have Portis instead of Steven Jackson you are out of your mind.

You have to consider the Redskin bias

21ST
08-30-2007, 03:07 PM

So what exactly does Jackson do that makes him better than portis

princefielder28
08-30-2007, 03:08 PM
So what exactly does Jackson do that makes him better than portis

Jackson is a punishing back that is an absolute terrific receiver out of the backfield

21ST
08-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Jackson is a punishing back that is an absolute terrific receiver out of the backfield

is that all?

princefielder28
08-30-2007, 03:12 PM
is that all?

what more do you want????? Did you miss the NFL last season and didn't get a chance to watch Steven Jackson play????? He has propelled himself up to one of the premiere backs in the league while Clinton Portis has been busy taking up space on the injury report and training table

awfullyquiet
08-30-2007, 03:14 PM
i think portis is just whining.
he needs to be more of a man.

neko4
08-30-2007, 03:15 PM
what more do you want????? Did you miss the NFL last season and didn't get a chance to watch Steven Jackson play????? He has propelled himself up to one of the premiere backs in the league while Clinton Portis has been busy taking up space on the injury report and training table

Injuries have nothing to do w/ talent though. Aside from Portis' injury problem i would have a hard time choosing between the two

princefielder28
08-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Injuries have nothing to do w/ talent though. Aside from Portis' injury problem i would have a hard time choosing between the two

Portis hasn't done anything since arriving to DC and he has to prove to people he can come back from his injury, hold up, and be effective.

MasterShake
08-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Portis gets injured one year and he's a failure....right...such short memories NFL fans have...

He just said he has to step up his game this year and I see him doing it.

princefielder28
08-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Portis gets injured one year and he's a failure....right...such short memories NFL fans have...

He just said he has to step up his game this year and I see him doing it.

I didn't call him a failure, but I have a hard time believing that someone would take Clinton Portis over Steven Jackson

SeanTaylorRIP
08-30-2007, 03:22 PM
How can you all say he hasn't shown anything, yet with all the great backs we've had like John Riggins and Earnest Byner, 2 years ago Clinton set the franchise record in single season rushing yards, the man is a top tier back, if the line blocked for him, the way they blocked the last 8 games last season when Ladell was the back, Clinton would have rushed for 3,000 yards, people overrate Betts like hell and it's annoying, if you watched they opened 10 yard holes every play and he wasn't touched until atleast 5 yards down the field, and it had nothing to do with him hitting the hole hard, if anything he has poor vision and while he hits the holes hard his poor vision leads to closed holes all the time, not to mention he is one of the worst backs in the league in terms of ball security.

Flyboy
08-30-2007, 03:24 PM
I didn't call him a failure, but I have a hard time believing that someone would take Clinton Portis over Steven Jackson

Apparently you aren't a Redskin fan, sir.

Nitschke-Hawk
08-30-2007, 03:28 PM
In my opinion if healthy the only backs better than him are Jackson, Tomlinson, and maybe Larry Johnson. People forgot how well Portis does everything. Unfortunately he was injured, gets a bad wrap and has to re prove himself to the doubters.

He'd be a perfect fit for Green Bay's offense. Offensive system that needs RB's that can be versatile. Zone blocking scheme. Use Shotgun a lot with a back and he's an excellent blocker. He catches well. We run lots of screens when we have the personnel. Hell if the Redskins are dumb enough to let him go I'd be in the first in line for him.

Flyboy
08-30-2007, 03:30 PM
In my opinion if healthy the only backs better than him are Jackson, Tomlinson, and maybe Larry Johnson.

Eh, that's up for debate. McAllister & Alexander both could make an interesting discussion. Maybe Frank Gore too.

princefielder28
08-30-2007, 03:30 PM
In my opinion if healthy the only backs better than him are Jackson, Tomlinson, and maybe Larry Johnson. People forgot how well Portis does everything. Unfortunately he was injured, gets a bad wrap and has to re prove himself to the doubters.

He'd be a perfect fit for Green Bay's offense. Offensive system that needs RB's that can be versatile. Zone blocking scheme. Use Shotgun a lot with a back and he's an excellent blocker. He catches well. We run lots of screens when we have the personnel. Hell if the Redskins are dumb enough to let him go I'd be in the first in line for him.

I agree he is a terrific back, but the only reason I was not defending him was b/c someone said that they would rather have him than Steven Jackson.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-30-2007, 03:32 PM

Steven Jackson is easily the better of the two players. As a redskins fan i understand ur bias, but its not really that hard IMO. u think he's a top 4 back? i would say top 6-7. sure he's a speedy weapon, but there are other guys who can do the blocking, tough running, cut outside, and catch the ball better or as good as him. Most notably Steven Jackson. If he's healthy i might take him over Alexander, but only because i'm not a big fan of his. so maybe top 5. but Jackson is better at this point.

Watchman
08-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Portis hasn't done anything since arriving to DC...

He hasn't done anything?

His first two years he averaged over 1,400 yds. rushing and 8 TDs. That isn't nothing, that's a feature back. Hell in 8 games last year he was doing pretty good (over 500 yds. rushing and 7 TDs).

He's not LT, but he's a top 10 RB. I agree that we need to see him comeback from the injury though.

Nitschke-Hawk
08-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Portis is a better all around back than Alexander. And that's how I like RB's.

Alexander is not a good blocker. Portis is excellent. Portis is far more athletic. Portis is a better pass catcher. Alexander has had some amazing rushing and scoring seasons. He's a throwback type of RB to me.

I like the way Deuce plays a lot too. One of my favorites. But he's only had one elite season stat wise and that was back in 03.

I like Gore a lot but I think he needs another big year to be in the top 3 or 4. His fumbling also brings his rating down to me. Not sure on his blocking.

Westbrook is another RB I like a lot but not in the top 3 or 4 yet either. He needs another season of at least 1200 yards rushing combined with his usual 650 plus receiving. Last year was his first 1,000 yard rushing season and it was his fifth career season, that sticks out to me. Plus we all know how good Philly's line was last year. Year to year rushing: 02-86, 03-613, 04-812, 05-617, 06-1217. He's averaged 587.5 receiving yards the last 4 years though.

awfullyquiet
08-30-2007, 04:14 PM
He hasn't done anything?

His first two years he averaged over 1,400 yds. rushing and 8 TDs. That isn't nothing, that's a feature back. Hell in 8 games last year he was doing pretty good (over 500 yds. rushing and 7 TDs).

He's not LT, but he's a top 10 RB. I agree that we need to see him comeback from the injury though.

Portis is good. He's been a solid back for the Skins, and i think everyone is just as frustrated about everything else that they can't really admit that.

Your running situation is pretty good. Just having a solid line will make your running game pretty sick.

LonghornsLegend
08-30-2007, 04:15 PM
He hasn't done anything?

His first two years he averaged over 1,400 yds. rushing and 8 TDs. That isn't nothing, that's a feature back.

he said since arriving in DC

Thus what he did in denver doesnt really matter much...

portis is a beast, but he's not as good nor as valuable as steven jackson is...s jax plays damn near as fast, is 10x more durable, is the better wr, the stronger runner, more punishing, and opens up the offense alot more...

portis is very good, but s jax is on another level and you would have to probably be a redskins fan or a clinton portis junkie to take him over jackson, im still strung out over dallas not taking him

neko4
08-30-2007, 04:18 PM
1-LT
2-Steven Jackson
3-Larry Johnson
4-Clinton Portis
5-Frank Gore
6-Brian Westbrook
7-Shaun Alexander

Thats how i think he fits in. The guy has had 3 1500yard seasons in 5 years. And one 1300yard season. He is definitly top 5 material.

SuperMcGee
08-30-2007, 04:21 PM

portis is a beast, but he's not as good nor as valuable as steven jackson is...s jax plays damn near as fast, is 10x more durable, is the better wr, the stronger runner, more punishing, and opens up the offense alot more...

portis is very good, but s jax is on another level and you would have to probably be a redskins fan or a clinton portis junkie to take him over jackson, im still strung out over dallas not taking him

His first two years in Washington, so he has done that since arriving in DC

Misunderstandings aside, I'm a Portis fan but I'm still not taking him over Jackson

GB12
08-30-2007, 04:27 PM

2004- 1315 yards, 5 TDs
2005- 1516 yards, 11 TDs
2006- 523 yards, 7 TDs in half a season

All those as a Redskin

skinzzfan25
08-30-2007, 04:52 PM
This year will be a different Clinton Portis. Coming to Washington, he bulked up and got ready to run a Joe Gibbs 'grind it out' running game. This, is not Portis' game, but he still preformed pretty well. Saunders is going to use him in a more efficient way than how Gibbs used him.

And I hate it when people question his durability. He got hurt last year on a freak accident and that's all people seem to remember. Before that, all he had was some lingering shoulder and knee pains, which I'm sure 90% of starting running backs get...

Being 100% healed up, and playing in a system that caters to his skills, I don't see why he couldn't be a top 5 back. He should be getting a few downs in tonight against the Jags, a decent run defense. (Henderson is out, that's why I said decent)

Geo
08-30-2007, 05:28 PM
When healthy, Clinton Portis is an elite Top 5 runningback in this league. An exceptional all-purpose back.

His full stats since arriving in Washington:

Year GP GS RuAtt RuYds RuAvg RuTDs Rec ReYds ReAvg ReTDS
2004 15 15 343 1315 3.8 5 40 235 5.9 2
2005 16 16 352 1516 4.3 11 30 216 7.2 0
2006 8 7 127 523 4.1 7 17 170 10.0 0

Watchman
08-30-2007, 05:31 PM

Yeah, I know and now you do too.

nobodyinparticular
08-30-2007, 06:19 PM
Oakland would welcome him with open arms. He and Michael Bush would make a nice 1-2 punch.

remix 6
08-30-2007, 06:57 PM
i cant believe some people are trying to knock on Portis. Hes a great back

-young
-does it all WELL
-fast
-quick

durability? hes barely missed anytime aside from last year

like mentioned..hes the youngest to reach 5000 yards i believe or something like that

hes not utilized like he should be and hasnt had the opportunity the other guys have

jsagan77
08-30-2007, 09:39 PM
The best part about people forgetting elite backs helped me draft Portis in the 4th round of both of my leagues this year allowing me to get one of the best Recieving corps i've ever had (harrison, ocho cinco, Driver).

Speaking of, would you guys do this trade?

They are offering Holt and Edwards for Driver and Hackett?

WMD
08-30-2007, 09:40 PM
The best part about people forgetting elite backs helped me draft Portis in the 4th round of both of my leagues this year allowing me to get one of the best Recieving corps i've ever had (harrison, ocho cinco, Driver).

I'd do it.

skinzzfan25
08-30-2007, 10:13 PM
Same, pull the trigger on that deal.

Oh, and I recently saw a stat that when Clinton Portis rushes over 100 yards, the Redskins are 15-2. The two losses are the close one to Tampa where Alstott got that extra point (even though he didn't -.-) and one against Denver by 2(?).

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-30-2007, 11:15 PM

completely irrelevant to the thread........

neko4
08-30-2007, 11:58 PM
I'll make a prediction and say he and Betts combine for 2100 yards this year.

CC.SD
08-31-2007, 12:01 AM
Who would see more play on the open market this year, Michael Turner or Clinton Portis?

RaiderNation
08-31-2007, 12:07 AM
wouldnt mind him at oakland