PDA

View Full Version : Byron Leftwich Released

The Unseen
08-31-2007, 03:35 PM
News agencies are reporting that Leftwich is going to be released. A press conference is scheduled for 5:30.

...I'm confused, shocked, stunned, every other adjective.

Wow.

SubNoize
08-31-2007, 03:38 PM
if this really happens he should sign in Oakland, and then they can cut Walter and McCown and sign Russell forming a stable of rocket arm QBs that can barely move for ****...

Canadian_kid16
08-31-2007, 03:42 PM
hmm, Bucs could use an 8th QB...

Flyboy
08-31-2007, 03:43 PM
Wow. Just wow...

That sucks pretty badly, Unseen. And to think that the Jags didn't even look in Quinn's direction. Hmm.

BuckNaked
08-31-2007, 03:43 PM
I'd even let him push Jackson for the starting job if he came to Minnesota, i'm a huge Leftwich fan. I know Unseen was too, so I feel bad for you and get used to Gerrard as your starter.

TimD
08-31-2007, 03:44 PM
j-e-t-s! marshall brothers!

Ward
08-31-2007, 03:45 PM
Weren't there rumors of him to Washington possibly? Did I imagine that or was it just speculation, not actual connection? Anyway, I think it's a good sign that Jacksonville is moving on, for better or worse.

Flyboy
08-31-2007, 03:46 PM
Apparently it'll save them $5 million as well.

I should go tell Leftwich that, "The NFL is a business, man! Ran by businessmen!"

The Unseen
08-31-2007, 03:48 PM
I'm waiting until the press conference until I make an assessment.

I don't get the move at all yet. I've always thought that Leftwich was better than Garrard. I saw no indication of this move whatsoever.

The words "why didn't we get Quinn" are ringing in my mind, too...

Flyboy
08-31-2007, 03:51 PM
The words "why didn't we get Quinn" are ringing in my mind, too...

"That sucks pretty badly, Unseen. And to think that the Jags didn't even look in Quinn's direction. Hmm."

;)

Guess he wasn't just high on their board.

Flyboy
08-31-2007, 03:56 PM
I do believe he was, njx. As far as I know that is... maybe Unseen can correct me if I'm wrong.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-31-2007, 03:57 PM
Hope it's true please let him go to Bmore, I hope Washington is fake because Campbell is a beast.

bearsfan_51
08-31-2007, 03:58 PM
The problem with the Vikings is that I just don't buy Leftwich as the type of QB that can run Childress' offense.

This is a blow to Leftwich, as I don't think the market is going to be what he thinks it is (Simeon Rice is STILL available for example). To expect a QB to come in and play this season completely missing training camp and the preseason is almost out of the question. Maybe as an injury replacement, but that's about it. I'd expect him to sign a one year contract with a team like Atlanta or Detroit and hope for the best next season.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-31-2007, 03:59 PM
I actually could believe the Redskins since Snyder is an idiot and Byron wants to come back home. But Ravens would make sense for both the team and the player and he gets to stay close to home.

Vikes99ej
08-31-2007, 04:04 PM
I have a feeling that this still isn't going to be the biggest name that's going to get cut.

diabsoule
08-31-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm really surprised that they are just going to release him but I guess no team wants to trade away a draft pick when they can land him for free, so to speak.

bearsfan_51
then again, maybe that's simply a product of people knowing what he's got left (whatever it is) and needing to see what other (cheaper) players have first. not that leftwich is going to get a starting gig for 6 million a year immediately.

Sure. I'm not meaning to imply that the two situations have that much in common. However, this happens every time. Such and such player is released and everyone is like "we could use that player" and expectations are raised that there is going to be a bidding war over him, and then nothing happens.

I mean...Charles Rogers is STILL available (over a year later). Now again....there is a myriad of factors to explain that, but I remember when he was released how many people wanted to sign him.

princefielder28
I think Atlanta would be very wise to try and push hard for him

diabsoule
08-31-2007, 04:06 PM
I actually could believe the Redskins since Snyder is an idiot and Byron wants to come back home. But Ravens would make sense for both the team and the player and he gets to stay close to home.

What about Troy Smith? I thought he was going to be the future of the franchise.

bearsfan_51
08-31-2007, 04:06 PM
Why would they have to push hard for him?

The Unseen
08-31-2007, 04:07 PM
wasn't he playing as the starter all pre-season, or did i miss something?

Yes. He did not play last night. However, neither did all the other starters. One wonders if it was an elaborate cover move...

diabsoule
08-31-2007, 04:07 PM

That actually would make a lot of sense since I'm not sure how Harrington will perform this year. He hasn't looked bad in pre-season, but then again it is pre-season. Chris Redman is the Falcons only backup that I know of and I know Petino likes him since he played for Louisville when Petino was the OC over there, however, Redman hasn't played in an NFL game in awhile.

Smooth Criminal
08-31-2007, 04:10 PM
Sucks for Leftwich. I hope he can get another opportunity somewhere this year.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-31-2007, 04:13 PM
That actually would make a lot of sense since I'm not sure how Harrington will perform this year. He hasn't looked bad in pre-season, but then again it is pre-season. Chris Redman is the Falcons only backup that I know of and I know Petino likes him since he played for Louisville when Petino was the OC over there, however, Redman hasn't played in an NFL game in awhile.

Giving no cred to Casey Bramlet??? World Bowl MVP son, anyways Baltimore makes most sense, his hometown team he has wanted to play there his whole career, they nearly got him draft day, just makes sense. McNair is gone after a year, and Troy Smith likely is just a practice squadder this year so that tells you how much they trust him as the future.

TimD
08-31-2007, 04:18 PM
Troy Smith likely is just a practice squadder this year so that tells you how much they trust him as the future.

Troy Smith actually made the team as the 3rd stringer...

SeanTaylorRIP
08-31-2007, 04:20 PM
Troy Smith actually made the team as the 3rd stringer...

No but Ravens almost always only carry 2 QB's into the season. They save roster spots for special team studs.

Bills2083
08-31-2007, 04:26 PM
Adam Schefter just reported it too

http://www.nfl.com/preseason/story?id=09000d5d801fb08c&template=without-video&confirm=true

Leftwich expected to be released or traded; Garrard named starter

http://static.nfl.com/static/content//catch_all/nfl_image/Adam_Schefter_SH.jpg By Adam Schefter | NFL Network

NFL Network's Adam Schefter is reporting quarterback Byron Leftwich (http://www.nfl.com/players/byronleftwich/profile?id=LEF677964) will be traded or released by the Jacksonville Jaguars (http://www.nfl.com/teams/jacksonvillejaguars/profile?team=JAC).

The Jaguars are expected to part ways with Leftwich before Saturday's deadline to reduce rosters to the 53-player limit.

Meanwhile, David Garrard (http://www.nfl.com/players/davidgarrard/profile?id=GAR371604), who started Thursday night's preseason finale against Washington, has been named the starter for Sunday's season opener against the Tennessee Titans (http://www.nfl.com/teams/tennesseetitans/profile?team=TEN). Garrard was 7-for-10 for 77 yards against the Redskins. Leftwich was one of 30 players who did not dress for the game.

Leftwich, who missed 10 games last season due to injuries, has started 44 of 46 career games in Jacksonville since he was the seventh overall pick in the 2003 NFL Draft. He is in the final year of his contract.

The Jaguars have called a press conference for 5:30 p.m. ET.

Tampa 2 4 life
08-31-2007, 04:28 PM
Welcome to Tampa!

ks_perfection
08-31-2007, 04:28 PM
Its a good thing that they passed on Quinn.

The Unseen
08-31-2007, 04:30 PM
jaguars.com is reporting it, with quotes from Del Rio and Wayne Weaver. They say that they will try to trade Leftwich before tomorrow's 6 PM deadline.

Nitschke-Hawk
08-31-2007, 04:31 PM
I think the logic is that they don't think he's that much better than Garrard, if at all, and possibly that the guys don't respond to him like they do with Garrard. Plus they'd save a lot of money and figure he won't be back if he hits free agency. So they wanna cut ties right now. With that said, this still surprises me.

Windy
08-31-2007, 04:32 PM
jaguars.com is reporting it, with quotes from Del Rio and Wayne Weaver. They say that they will try to trade Leftwich before tomorrow's 6 PM deadline.

will lester ricard make the team!?! edit: he was released

The Unseen
08-31-2007, 04:34 PM
will lester ricard make the team!?! edit: he was released

He was cut earlier this week. edit: didn't see your edit.

Don Vito
08-31-2007, 04:35 PM
What the hell? Is this a joke? If it is true Atlanta, Tampa, Detroit, Miami, maybe even Chicago are possibilities.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
08-31-2007, 04:37 PM
Quinn Gray's a baller. They should've given him more of a look in pre-season.

keylime_5
08-31-2007, 04:37 PM
I bet Jacksonville feels real smart about turning their noses to B.Quinn now, or at least they will in a year or two anyways. Reggie Nelson is gonna be good and they did get extra picks for trading down, but a safety and a couple projects aren't gonna be worth a franchise QB. Colt Brennan, Jacksonville....Jacksonville, Colt Brennan.

Geo
08-31-2007, 04:53 PM
Jacksonville is a better team with Garrard imo. Not only does he do a better job of moving the chains, but with him as the starter, the team is fully committed to running the ball down people's throats with the best run-blocking OL in the league and the two-headed monster of Fred Taylor and Mo Drew. As a Colts fan, I would have rather seen Leftwich as their starter.

That said, I'm still glad that the team selected Reggie Nelson over Brady Quinn in the 07 Draft. Also, in retrospect, I am glad they didn't draft Trent Edwards (who the Buffalo Bills ended up stealing) either.

The biggest thing for Garrard is to cut down on his turnovers (insert the "Captain Turnover" remark here). He does that, and the Jags are one of the toughest matchups in the league.

PS. Assuming Big John Henderson is healthy to play for the regular season.

bored of education
08-31-2007, 04:57 PM
watch the Chiefs go after him lol

The Unseen
08-31-2007, 05:05 PM
PS. Assuming Big John Henderson is healthy to play for the regular season.

It was reported that it was a minor injury.

Okay, the press conference is over. I believe Del Rio does like Garrard as a player, and he really believes in the move, but I think money is a big motivation. Ticket sales are bad for the season opener. The cut saved money. I think owner Wayne Weaver had influence on this decision.

Was it the right move? Only time can tell. But the timing is really bad.

smittyjs
08-31-2007, 05:19 PM
Gray should get a shot at starting any way...

TitanAddict
08-31-2007, 05:22 PM
I'd prefer they keep Leftwich as the starter.

Pit Bull #53
08-31-2007, 05:47 PM
I'd prefer they keep Garrard. I was at that disaster last year vs. us, and it was niiiice

Shiver
08-31-2007, 05:48 PM
Atlanta needs to make a move for Leftwich. Rich McKay said last week that the team is looking for another option at QB, for depth at the least. Let Harrington start the season, then if he doesn't perform (or rather he plays like history shows he will) Leftwich can come in.

Shiver
08-31-2007, 06:02 PM
Adam Schefter just said that Atlanta might choose Andrew Walter over Byron Leftwich.

Windy
08-31-2007, 06:04 PM
Adam Schefter just said that Atlanta might choose Andrew Walter over Byron Leftwich.

I want to see Walter succeed. He got a raw deal last year and this year he doesn't fit kiffin's offense at all. Hopefully he'll go to Atlanta.

Shiver
08-31-2007, 06:06 PM
Schefter also mentioned that Jacksonville will also pursue Walter to re-unite Walter and Koetter. It sounds like teams around the NFL realize that Walter was not in a position to succeed last year. It says a lot of things about what teams think about Leftwich.

The Unseen
08-31-2007, 06:08 PM
Schefter also mentioned that if Leftwich goes to Atlanta, Jacksonville will pursue Walter to re-unite Walter and Koetter.

This may be more Schefter "throw it and hope it sticks" analysis. He's named every quarterback in the Union as possible for the Jaguars this and past offseasons.

Crazy_Chris
08-31-2007, 06:44 PM
Wow, this is surprising news they aren't going to get much for him now that teams now that other teams know they plan to release him if they don't get a good offer

Shiver
08-31-2007, 07:02 PM
This may be more Schefter "throw it and hope it sticks" analysis. He's named every quarterback in the Union as possible for the Jaguars this and past offseasons.

Adam Schefter, along with Jay Glazer, is the best insider in the NFL. He hasn't been the only person reporting that, there has been a Leftwich/Del Rio rift for a while now.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-31-2007, 07:33 PM
Garrard has been beast all preseason, and Quinn Gray was sharp against the skins last night, although you had Reggie Williams working against undrafted rookies.

ks_perfection
08-31-2007, 08:13 PM
Wow, this is surprising news they aren't going to get much for him now that teams now that other teams know they plan to release him if they don't get a good offer

They werent going to get much anyway, even if you didn't consider his salary.

CARDIAC CAT 7
08-31-2007, 09:35 PM
This is VERY SHOCKING this seems like more of a coach and QB on different pages, rather than skill not adding up. Leftwich lost 30 lbs. and they got a new offensive cordinator to fit his style of play and they bail on him!!! A little disappointed that Del Rio made this move, he must really be on the hotseat to make bold moves like this. :( :( :( (Very Sad) , He needs a system that believes in the deep ball and has excellent weak side protection for him to really flourish. Baltimore would be a GREAT fit for him, Atlanta wouldn't be bad, Minnesota would be a good fit, as for Tampa NO WAY he is the opposite of what they have their QB's do.

Shiver
09-01-2007, 12:39 AM
AJC (http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/09/01/falnotes_0901.html)

The Falcons could not officially comment on potential interest on Jaguars quarterback Byron Leftwich, who could be released or traded in the near future, because Leftwich remains Jacksonville's property. However, Atlanta will not pursue Leftwich via trade or through free agency, a team official confirmed.

The Falcons are in the market for someone to compete for the No. 3 quarterback job behind starter Joey Harrington and backup Chris Redman. Casey Bramlet currently is the third quarterback on the roster.

The team plans to wait until after leaguewide cuts today to see whether it wants to claim a player off waivers. Some possible candidates include Washington's Mark Brunell and Oakland's Andrew Walter.

Interesting, not sure I believe it though. After all saying anything else would be tantamount to "tampering" would it not?

Crazy_Chris
09-01-2007, 01:56 AM
This is VERY SHOCKING this seems like more of a coach and QB on different pages, rather than skill not adding up. Leftwich lost 30 lbs. and they got a new offensive cordinator to fit his style of play and they bail on him!!! A little disappointed that Del Rio made this move, he must really be on the hotseat to make bold moves like this. :( :( :( (Very Sad) , He needs a system that believes in the deep ball and has excellent weak side protection for him to really flourish. Baltimore would be a GREAT fit for him, Atlanta wouldn't be bad, Minnesota would be a good fit, as for Tampa NO WAY he is the opposite of what they have their QB's do.

I like Byron Leftwich but Minnesota would be a bad bad fit. The QB with possibly the slowest release in all off the NFL would definatly not be a good fit for Childress's West Coast offense

Man_Of_Steel
09-01-2007, 01:59 AM
This is intresting. Dropping Leftwich from the roster before the season. You would think that they would have more activley pursued Culpepper. Watch for Chris Simms, all signs point to him leaving Tampa and Jacksonville would be crazy not to get him on the roster.

scar988
09-01-2007, 02:03 AM
no Atlanta would be stupid to do so. Leftwich blows donkey balls. his release is slower than my grandmothers... and she's dead.

scar988
09-01-2007, 02:04 AM
AJC (http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/09/01/falnotes_0901.html)

Interesting, not sure I believe it though. After all saying anything else would be tantamount to "tampering" would it not?

it would, but at the same time, who cares? Leftwich is a terrible QB and woudl be a great #3 option for us.

Ward
09-01-2007, 03:14 AM
no Atlanta would be stupid to do so. Leftwich blows donkey balls. his release is slower than my grandmothers... and she's dead.

I'll never forget Aikman going ballistic over Leftwich's release during last year's Cowboys @ Jax game. Kept saying how a release like that should have been corrected at the Pop Warner level and that it looked like a windmill. Makes me wonder how a release that bad could have gotten him drafted in the 1st. Then again, there's Phillip Rivers. Whatever.

JagHombre22
09-01-2007, 04:04 AM
This makes the Jaguars passing on Brady Quinn...twice...look completely foolish....

WMD
09-01-2007, 04:09 AM
Let's get Byron on the Lions! We have no backup; and he's better than Jon Kitna.

Shiver
09-01-2007, 06:30 AM
I'll never forget Aikman going ballistic over Leftwich's release during last year's Cowboys @ Jax game. Kept saying how a release like that should have been corrected at the Pop Warner level and that it looked like a windmill. Makes me wonder how a release that bad could have gotten him drafted in the 1st. Then again, there's Phillip Rivers. Whatever.

At least Rivers' release is very quick.

Shiver
09-01-2007, 06:34 AM
Let's get Byron on the Lions! We have no backup; and he's better than Jon Kitna.

Leftwich would be murdered in Detroit. He wouldn't last five games.

The Unseen
09-01-2007, 07:39 AM
Leftwich would be murdered in Detroit. He wouldn't last five games.

At least they have wide receivers in Detroit...

EdReedUnstoppable
09-01-2007, 08:04 AM
Hope it's true please let him go to Bmore, I hope Washington is fake because Campbell is a beast.

EWE! I don't want that clown on the Ravens, he is a terrible QB.

Ravens1991
09-01-2007, 08:16 AM
Newsome loved Leftwich coming out of college, he was ready to trade up to get him, now I am glad he didn't but it seems like Boller leaves after this season I could see us going after him

bearsfan_51
09-01-2007, 10:25 AM
I actually think Detroit makes the most sense. Although I hope they don't do it and stick with O'Sullivan and Orlavsky.

bored of education
09-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Orlavsky is nice. I heard Martz has a hard on for him

ShutDwn
09-01-2007, 10:59 AM
Garrard is the better QB for them, he will only get better at actually reading defenses the more he plays. Leftwich has overall slowness in everything he does.

High Roller
09-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Bit of a curveball but Garrard way out-performed him in preseason. Leftwhich will start elsewhere i suspect.

Bohleive
09-01-2007, 02:53 PM
There is no way they just cut him, not with all the teams out there desperate for an average starting QB, hell any starting QB.

The Unseen
09-01-2007, 03:36 PM
There is no way they just cut him, not with all the teams out there desperate for an average starting QB, hell any starting QB.

Actually, they likely will, because teams know they can just wait to get him without a draft pick.

TACKLE
09-01-2007, 03:49 PM
It'll be interesting if Leftwich ends up in ATL. Wonder if he'll still wear Number 7.

Bohleive
09-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Actually, they likely will, because teams know they can just wait to get him without a draft pick.

Whats the Jags cap situation? They can't afford to keep him as a back up if no one gives up a draft pick? He has a lot of value especially given the climate of the league right now. I mean look at the falcons, you don't think they'd give up a draft pick to get someone other than Joey Harrington under center right now? The cheifs? The Vikings? The list goes on.

The Unseen
09-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Whats the Jags cap situation? They can't afford to keep him as a back up if no one gives up a draft pick? He has a lot of value especially given the climate of the league right now. I mean look at the falcons, you don't think they'd give up a draft pick to get someone other than Joey Harrington under center right now? The cheifs? The Vikings? The list goes on.

They would stand to save 5 million if they release him, I hear.

The Jaguars have a very good cap situation anyways.

ks_perfection
09-01-2007, 06:12 PM
There a small market team though

The Unseen
09-01-2007, 06:16 PM
It's official. He was released.

Addict
09-01-2007, 06:17 PM
weird though... I was sure he'd be the starter.

The Unseen
09-01-2007, 06:31 PM
weird though... I was sure he'd be the starter.

Everyone was. There were little to no signs of this coming, unless you were an insider like jaguars.com Vic Ketchman, who claims to have seen it coming.

Addict
09-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Everyone was. There were little to no signs of this coming, unless you were an insider like jaguars.com Vic Ketchman, who claims to have seen it coming.

sure he did. hindsight is 20/20

The Unseen
09-01-2007, 06:53 PM
sure he did. hindsight is 20/20

Well, the reasons he gave had some legitimacy. He's a read-between-the-lines kinda guy, and so he must've seen something in the margin.

Memorex
09-02-2007, 09:54 AM
He'll get a shot somewhere else, I don't know if he will make anything of it though, besides the Lions no one is really in need of a QB, and for some reason they like Kitna.

LonghornsLegend
09-02-2007, 01:59 PM
is it fair to even really label him a bust? He is a top 10 pick who got released, but he never played miserably, just not up to the level of where he was drafted...

The Unseen
09-02-2007, 03:11 PM
is it fair to even really label him a bust? He is a top 10 pick who got released, but he never played miserably, just not up to the level of where he was drafted...

Completely agree.

He's a bust for the Jaguars' purposes. If he doesn't get better with another team by the time his career is over, then he'll be a bust.

smittyjs
09-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Well atleast this give the Titans 2 more wins......;)

WMD
09-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Any word on who's interested in Byron?

Shiver
09-02-2007, 09:20 PM
The only news I have heard is who isn't interested in Leftwich; that team being the Atlanta Falcons.

TimD
09-02-2007, 09:21 PM
i wouldnt be surprised to see him unsigned until a qb starts sucking or gets hurt

Crazy_Chris
09-03-2007, 03:28 AM
Any word on who's interested in Byron?

Baltimore is the most interested according to this article...

The agent for former Jacksonville quarterback Byron Leftwich said he spoke with six teams on Sunday about signing Leftwich. From initial talks, it appears that Baltimore may have some interest in signing Leftwich, agent Tom Condon said.

Condon said he called Baltimore, Atlanta, Kansas City, Minnesota, Washington and Detroit to gauge the interest in Leftwich, who was released Saturday after losing the starting job to David Garrard.

- http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-leftwich090207&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

09-03-2007, 03:41 AM
Unless his mechanics are given a complete overhaul(i.e. pitcher's release) I would not dare touch him.

WMD
09-03-2007, 03:48 AM
Unless his mechanics are given a complete overhaul(i.e. pitcher's release) I would not dare touch him.

Mike Martz is all about changing mechanics.

Crazy_Chris
09-03-2007, 03:56 AM
I think out of the six teams his agent called the 2 that are truely interested would be Baltimore as the article said and Detroit.