PDA

View Full Version : Rodney Harrison suspended for four games

Shiver
08-31-2007, 07:28 PM
Per the ESPNEWS ticker. I read elsewhere that it has to do with Human Growth Hormone.

Green Bay Scat
08-31-2007, 07:32 PM
i believe if u take HGH during the football season(hard contact) it makes ur bones weaker and more susceptible to injuries, is that true?

neko4
08-31-2007, 07:33 PM
oh that may explain why he's been out so much

Philliez01
08-31-2007, 07:34 PM
Must of got it from Tim Couch....

See, it's not the same as the MLB because you could always use the whole "Musta got it from Barry, McGwire, Sammy, Palmeiro, the B12!". Tim Couch just doesn't fit.

Anyway, I thought the NFL didn't have testing for HGH?

Green Bay Scat
08-31-2007, 07:36 PM
Must of got it from Tim Couch....

See, it's not the same as the MLB because you could always use the whole "Musta got it from Barry, McGwire, Sammy, Palmeiro, the B12!". Tim Couch just doesn't fit.

Anyway, I thought the NFL didn't have testing for HGH?

all you need is proof of the bottle really

alca1992
08-31-2007, 07:39 PM
no ****** way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**** **** **** **** ****!!!!!!!!!

Crazy_Chris
08-31-2007, 07:47 PM
And the surprises jusst keep rolling in today... wow

bored of education
08-31-2007, 07:48 PM
too think Vrable, Bruschi, and Seau are on the same team...hmmmm SPECUALTIONS

The Unseen
08-31-2007, 07:50 PM
Certainly a newsworthy day.

Jay
08-31-2007, 08:28 PM
So sad. I feel for Rodney with all the injuries he's had. Still no excuse to break the rules. :(

Don Vito
08-31-2007, 08:31 PM
Wow, Rodney can't catch a break. It's his own fault anyways but still he's hardly been on the field for the last 2 seasons. Hopefully Gene Wilson stays healthy and Meriweather/James Sanders step up.

Shiver
08-31-2007, 08:34 PM
This really hurts the Patriots. They face New York and San Diego early, those are two marquee games for them. It's up to Meriweather now.

Jay
08-31-2007, 08:37 PM
He's going to be speaking shortly. Unlike others he'll take it like a champ and admit he was wrong and take the punishment like a man. It's unfortunate that his remote, outside shot at the Hall of Fame has been destroyed. I feel for him. The guy has had some really bad breaks but again, there is never an excuse for cheating...

Jay
08-31-2007, 08:38 PM
This really hurts the Patriots. They face New York and San Diego early, those are two marquee games for them. It's up to Meriweather now.

Probably James Sanders actually. I have much more confidence in him now than I did earlier in his career...

Jay
08-31-2007, 08:40 PM
too think Vrable, Bruschi, and Seau are on the same team...hmmmm SPECUALTIONS

To think, Jeter, Posada and Rivera are on the same team as Giambi... hmmm...

Come on... don't be ridiculous...

Shiver
08-31-2007, 08:43 PM
I actually think the vast majority of NFL players are on HGH. All one has to do is look at the average size of players in today's game. Most positions, specifically in the trenches, have become exponentially larger. Had Harrison not been caught and admitted to it to the government he wouldn't have been caught by the league's testing. There is little to no downside in taking it and millions in upside.

bored of education
08-31-2007, 08:53 PM
Omg Tom Brady Tooooooo

remix 6
08-31-2007, 09:44 PM
to clear 1 thing up. i dont support him using it but he did say he took it to recover from injury (im guessing he took it 2 seasons ago for the knee?)

i know hes saying that and some may not believe but he admitted to the use so why lie? He said it was not for performance.

Mr. Stiller
08-31-2007, 09:44 PM
He admitted to receiving it.

I think he got it from the same place as those suspended WWE wrestlers.

Shiver
08-31-2007, 09:45 PM
to clear 1 thing up. i dont support him using it but he did say he took it to recover from injury (im guessing he took it 2 seasons ago for the knee?)

i know hes saying that and some may not believe but he admitted to the use so why lie? He said it was not for performance.

Recovery from injury is certainly performance enhancement.

remix 6
08-31-2007, 09:53 PM
Recovery from injury is certainly performance enhancement.

i meant that he said he didnt use it to gain a competitive edge. it wasnt for better performance on the field. it was to recover from injuries

alca1992
08-31-2007, 10:10 PM
atleast he step up and took like a man thats the only thing you can do

LonghornsLegend
08-31-2007, 10:12 PM
so what are some of the gains you can receive from taking HGH

remix 6
08-31-2007, 10:25 PM
so what are some of the gains you can receive from taking HGH

-reduce bodyfat
-muscle mass gain
-growth in height
-helps immunity

almost like a steroid. a friend on my team got it prescribed freshman/sophomore year in HS so i guess it was legal for him since he was "short"

Billingsley26
08-31-2007, 10:46 PM
When you all say it was news filled day, what other news broke out, I know about Byron Leftwich, but Ive been kinda out of the loop for a while. Anyone fill me in?

etk
08-31-2007, 10:49 PM
I read the ticker as well, but it never mentioned him being caught using it through testing or anything. It merely stated how he received HGH (forget the exact wording).

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-31-2007, 11:42 PM
very sad. Probably my all time favorite player. he was lights out as a Charger and got no recognition. his season in 2000 was insane. 127 tackles, 6 sacks, 6 ints, 17 PDs. and didn't make the pro bowl.......never got the recognition he deserved because he was on a poor chargers team. I was and am very happy that he got more attention when he went to the Partiots.

I think he's a great player and a great person. its unfortunate that this happens, but i due believe that it was to speed up the healing process. the man loves to play, but his physical style has taken its toll on his body and its starting to show.

knowing the end is near is sad, but the day he calls it quits will be the worst.

LonghornsLegend
09-01-2007, 04:11 AM
-reduce bodyfat
-muscle mass gain
-growth in height
-helps immunity

almost like a steroid. a friend on my team got it prescribed freshman/sophomore year in HS so i guess it was legal for him since he was "short"

the side effects for something like this has to be pretty lethal, i wouldnt be too keen about taking something that helped me grow taller, thats messing around with genetics and that can never be good...

whats wrong with a bottle of cell-tech and some NO2 and calling it a day?

Green Bay Scat
09-01-2007, 05:38 AM
hey what was Luis Castillos case when he got tested positive? i know he admited to using it to recover so he could do well at the combine, but what type of steroid was it?

Jay
09-01-2007, 06:54 AM
Rodney did a conference call and he said he used it to help him come back from this latest injury. He said he wasn't going to make excuses, what he did was wrong, and he apologized profusely. Does that make it OK? No. Does it make me respect him for not trying to be like Barry Bonds or Jason Giambi and hide things in the face of adversity? Absolutely.

I don't blame him. The guy has been through a lot injury-wise the last few years, and this one had to be really frustrating because someone took out his knee on a dirty hit. Again, doesn't excuse him, but I can see where he's coming from. He's a gamer and he just wanted to get back on the field. I don't think he was doing it with the intent of getting himself over the top and becoming one of the best in the league, more-or-less just to get himself back on the field strong. I can't really think what the advantages of HGH would be in football otherwise. He's certainly not trying to get faster or stronger.

But considering he is pretty much the first athlete to just step up and take the heat where every other one that has been accused so far has sat in front of the cameras and lied about it until they were flat out busted, it's pretty commendable that he would come out and face the music from the get-go...

remix 6
09-01-2007, 06:56 AM
very sad. Probably my all time favorite player. he was lights out as a Charger and got no recognition. his season in 2000 was insane. 127 tackles, 6 sacks, 6 ints, 17 PDs. and didn't make the pro bowl.......never got the recognition he deserved because he was on a poor chargers team. I was and am very happy that he got more attention when he went to the Partiots.

I think he's a great player and a great person. its unfortunate that this happens, but i due believe that it was to speed up the healing process. the man loves to play, but his physical style has taken its toll on his body and its starting to show.

knowing the end is near is sad, but the day he calls it quits will be the worst.

hit it on the spot. he loves to play..and he wanted to come back quickly. hes a passionate player and i dont really think this should affect people's thoughts on him that much. he used it when hes been out. he didnt use it when he was the dominant Rodney Harrison. Simply being in his mid 30s..injuries and with his attitude..he realized his time was running out and he had to get back on the field somehow

bored of education
09-01-2007, 08:42 AM
what a bum!!

TimD
09-01-2007, 11:05 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/09/01/nfl_suspends_harrison/

Jvig43
09-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Well we def could have used him for the chargers and bengals, but other then that, we should be fine, James has looked better then in recent years, but im not too sold on merriwether yet, ironically i posted something about a week ago on the pats forum saying how well rodney looked :mad:

ks_perfection
09-01-2007, 11:52 AM
It also reduces the chances that he will get injured before the playoffs, so it isn't all bad.

Xenos
09-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Rodney did a conference call and he said he used it to help him come back from this latest injury. He said he wasn't going to make excuses, what he did was wrong, and he apologized profusely. Does that make it OK? No. Does it make me respect him for not trying to be like Barry Bonds or Jason Giambi and hide things in the face of adversity? Absolutely.

I don't blame him. The guy has been through a lot injury-wise the last few years, and this one had to be really frustrating because someone took out his knee on a dirty hit. Again, doesn't excuse him, but I can see where he's coming from. He's a gamer and he just wanted to get back on the field. I don't think he was doing it with the intent of getting himself over the top and becoming one of the best in the league, more-or-less just to get himself back on the field strong. I can't really think what the advantages of HGH would be in football otherwise. He's certainly not trying to get faster or stronger.

But considering he is pretty much the first athlete to just step up and take the heat where every other one that has been accused so far has sat in front of the cameras and lied about it until they were flat out busted, it's pretty commendable that he would come out and face the music from the get-go...
The question with this statement is if he really did step up to the plate, or did he only do it because the Feds basically had him back into a corner? Because if it's the latter then he's as bad as everyone else unfortunately. If he had admitted to Goodell that he did use HGH months ago before all this heat came on, then I have nothing but respect for him.
Now the other problem is that you can't really trace how far ago he used it. He said two years ago? But since you can't trace it, it could have gone even farther back then that. Some people might speculate that after his injury prone seasons in San Diego (especially in 2002), he just somehow mysteriously got better in 2003 and 2004.

JK17
09-01-2007, 12:45 PM
hit it on the spot. he loves to play..and he wanted to come back quickly. hes a passionate player and i dont really think this should affect people's thoughts on him that much. he used it when hes been out. he didnt use it when he was the dominant Rodney Harrison. Simply being in his mid 30s..injuries and with his attitude..he realized his time was running out and he had to get back on the field somehow

But he still used it, how can you be so hard on Merriman for "cheating" but when Harrison does it, its okay?

I like Harrison, he's a former Charger, but I don't see a difference except one is older, and been in the leauge longer.

Shiver
09-01-2007, 01:23 PM
On Friday night, Patriots safety Rodney Harrison addressed his recent suspension for violation of the league's policy on anabolic steroids and related substances. Harrison acknowledged using HGH.

Said Harrison: "I want to make it clear that not once did I ever use steroids. I did admit to the Commissioner that I did in fact use a banned substance. My purpose was never to gain a competitive edge. Rather, my use was solely for accelerating the healing process of injuries I sustained while playing football. I haven't made excuses, nor will I make excuses."

And, of course, Harrison says he hasn't made excuses . . . right after making an excuse.

You see, there's no difference between using banned substances to gain a competitive advantage and using HGH to accelerate the healing process. Accelerating the healing process is, by definition, a competitive advantage in a league where injuries undermine the ability of an individual and a team to be competitive.

NFL players who are always injured, or who can't return quickly from being injured, are at risk of becoming former NFL players. So, yes, using HGH is cheating -- even if it's "only" to speed the healing process.

Mike Florio's take is dead on. What Harrison tried to say what a joke. Healing from injuries and growing larger muscle mass isn't a "performance enhancer"? Who is really going to fall for that?

CC.SD
09-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Sorry hot rod, you are missed still. Thanks for shutting Pats fans up about Merriman though, that will make my life marginally less frustrating.

Billingsley26
09-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Sorry hot rod, you are missed still. Thanks for shutting Pats fans up about Merriman though, that will make my life marginally less frustrating.

I dont think that you can compare somone who took HGH to help heal himself quicker and someone who took banned substances to gain an advantage.

Im not saying it was right for Harrison, btu they were under two different circumstances.

remix 6
09-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Mike Florio's take is dead on. What Harrison tried to say what a joke. Healing from injuries and growing larger muscle mass isn't a "performance enhancer"? Who is really going to fall for that?

theres different kinds of HGH as there are steroids. my friend had HGH prescribed by doctor but he didnt turn into anything crazy or gain speed/strength/etc that someone our age couldnt have done with training which he also did

depends how much you take and like i said..different functions. if a guy like Rodney took HGH..he didnt get taller. Hes still 6"1

my friend who got it prescribed grew about 4-6 inches. yes age plays into that aswell but you see different effects.

on the field hes no different beside that hes actually running after the bad knee injruy. hes not faster than he was..he doesnt seem bigger.

-Merriman got caught. Harrison admitted
-Steroid vs HGH. theres a difference
-Merriman didnt have an injury and hes not in his 30s.

I dont think that you can compare somone who took HGH to help heal himself quicker and someone who took banned substances to gain an advantage.

Im not saying it was right for Harrison, btu they were under two different circumstances.
Agreed. Harrison made the wrong decision in taking it and he accepted that and admitted but you cant treat him like a real criminal or bad guy. Why would Rodney need an edge? He knows hes not going to dominate like he used to. Age is the concern and his injuries. He loves the game however and he wanted to come back and finish his career on a positive note and in his mind its winning another Superbowl and finishing healthy and not have to leave the game early because injuries like many have in the past

JK17
09-01-2007, 04:00 PM
theres different kinds of HGH as there are steroids. my friend had HGH prescribed by doctor but he didnt turn into anything crazy or gain speed/strength/etc that someone our age couldnt have done with training which he also did

depends how much you take and like i said..different functions. if a guy like Rodney took HGH..he didnt get taller. Hes still 6"1

my friend who got it prescribed grew about 4-6 inches. yes age plays into that aswell but you see different effects.

on the field hes no different beside that hes actually running after the bad knee injruy. hes not faster than he was..he doesnt seem bigger.

Agreed. Harrison made the wrong decision in taking it and he accepted that and admitted but you cant treat him like a real criminal or bad guy. Why would Rodney need an edge? He knows hes not going to dominate like he used to. Age is the concern and his injuries. He loves the game however and he wanted to come back and finish his career on a positive note and in his mind its winning another Superbowl and finishing healthy and not have to leave the game early because injuries like many have in the past

You can't be serious. You call Merriman a cheater, you come after him for taking a banned substance, and the only difference is that Harrison came out and said he did it, but claimed that he only did it to "heal" faster, which is still cheating, but in your eyes its okay because Merriman didn't have an injury, and he's not 30?! First of all how do you even know Harrison hasn't been doing this for a while, second of all what does it matter how old he is, and third of all how is him cheating any different from Merriman because it was HGH, not Nandralone?

If you're gonna take Harrison at his word, that it was "Only to heal faster", which is still wrong, why won't you take Merriman at his, that it was incidental?

You're sure its not just because your a Patriots' fan, right?

JK17
09-01-2007, 04:02 PM

Really? First of all I doubt you know all their motivations for taking whatever they did take, but both tried to gain an edge to make themselves more successful, the situations are no different, just because one player is older.

Xenos
09-01-2007, 04:04 PM

No, Rodney got caught. Read my previous post.
Yes there's a big difference between steroids and HGH. HGH can't be detected except by blood test. And the NFL can't use blood tests because of the CPA agreement. So, the only reason Harrison got caught was because the Feds find out and were putting heat on him.
I just love the fact that as soon as it's one of your guys, you put up excuses for him.

Billingsley26
09-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Really? First of all I doubt you know all their motivations for taking whatever they did take, but both tried to gain an edge to make themselves more successful, the situations are no different, just because one player is older.

I never said anything about age. Im just saying, Merriman falls under the category of Rafael Palemeiro to me. He kept saying he didnt take anything banned. Well, it doesnt take a 8 yr old kid to put 2 and 2 together. Merriman was caught and obviously used a banned substance. I lost respect for him and will no longer call him lights out.

For one, I am a PAtriots fan, and I tell you that I feel bad for the Patriots organization. I would not like anyone to look down on them following this incident, because of their recent history. I know people will start trying to make rumors and accusations in the near future, but I dont think it should happen. To me these are two different cases. Rodney confessed and didnt try to hide it. When the heat was on he admitted his wrongs. He stated why he used them, and like I said Im not saying it was right, but he took it to try and heal himself to continue his profession. Merriman on the other hand stated several times that he never took a banned substance, then got slapped by the NFL for using a BANNED SUBSTANCE! Boy who looks stupid now. He didnt have any injuries, and looked as if he didnt need to gain an edge*(I dont know how long he took them for). Merriman is in a different stage, and hasnt had the problems that Rodney has. Like I said Rodney IS NOT right for what he did.

JK17
09-01-2007, 05:17 PM
I never said anything about age. Im just saying, Merriman falls under the category of Rafael Palemeiro to me. He kept saying he didnt take anything banned. Well, it doesnt take a 8 yr old kid to put 2 and 2 together. Merriman was caught and obviously used a banned substance. I lost respect for him and will no longer call him lights out.
What are you talking about? Merriman dropped his appeal, and said he accidentally took them. Whether he did or not accidentally do it, he still admitted he did and they were in his system. What makes Harrison so different I don't get it. Because he had to talk about it, and he used HGH? HGH is something that you can avoid being tested for, that seems shadier to me.

For one, I am a PAtriots fan, and I tell you that I feel bad for the Patriots organization. I would not like anyone to look down on them following this incident, because of their recent history. I know people will start trying to make rumors and accusations in the near future, but I dont think it should happen. To me these are two different cases. Rodney confessed and didnt try to hide it. When the heat was on he admitted his wrongs. He stated why he used them, and like I said Im not saying it was right, but he took it to try and heal himself to continue his profession. Merriman on the other hand stated several times that he never took a banned substance, then got slapped by the NFL for using a BANNED SUBSTANCE! Boy who looks stupid now. He didnt have any injuries, and looked as if he didnt need to gain an edge*(I dont know how long he took them for). Merriman is in a different stage, and hasnt had the problems that Rodney has. Like I said Rodney IS NOT right for what he did.

Are you serious? Do you not realize how hypocritical that is? First of all I don't know what your talking about with Merriman saying he never took them, it was never an issue until the test. Its not like he denied it time and time again, then got caught. There was no speculation, until the test, when he admitted somehow or another it was in his system. What's differnt then Rodney Harrison there? Merriman is in a differnt stage? How do you know when Rodney started using them, because he said two years ago? And who cares why he used them, to "continue his profession"? He wouldn't be that player without the HGH, continuing or not, thats enhancing his performance. I know your not saying Rodney is right for what he did, but it is not differnt from Merriman.

remix 6
09-01-2007, 05:21 PM
question for JK17

do u consider Luis Castillo a cheater or do u hate him or trash talked about him when he admitted/got caught?

wasnt his situation similar to Rodney? Injury..needed to recover. DONE

he wasnt bashed that much..Merriman was but he was just trying to deny the inevitable

JK17
09-01-2007, 05:28 PM
question for JK17

do u consider Luis Castillo a cheater or do u hate him or trash talked about him when he admitted/got caught?

wasnt his situation similar to Rodney? Injury..needed to recover. DONE

he wasnt bashed that much..Merriman was but he was just trying to deny the inevitable

Answer:

It's a little more complicated then just being labeled a cheater, but if you want a simple answer then yes I do. It's not about what team they're on, I'm not going to change my answer because I'm a fan. I don't hate Rodney Harrison either, and I'm not really talking trash about him now.

If you want my more complicated answer I wouldn't necesraily consider any of them cheaters, because its such a problem that goes unnoticed in the NFL anyway, they sure as hell aren't the only ones breaking the rules.

But it doesn't matter that Rodney Harrison came out and said he did it before getting caught, he was hiding it, just like Merriman was probably doing. It doesn't make a bit of differnece that he came out, or claims it was only started two years ago. Especially since we probably don't know all his motivations for admitting it.

And you also understand, that just because a player has an injury and needs to recover, they can't just decide to take some HGH and make it all better, if they could it wouldn't be against league rules.

remix 6
09-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Answer:

It's a little more complicated then just being labeled a cheater, but if you want a simple answer then yes I do. It's not about what team they're on, I'm not going to change my answer because I'm a fan. I don't hate Rodney Harrison either, and I'm not really talking trash about him now.

If you want my more complicated answer I wouldn't necesraily consider any of them cheaters, because its such a problem that goes unnoticed in the NFL anyway, they sure as hell aren't the only ones breaking the rules.

But it doesn't matter that Rodney Harrison came out and said he did it before getting caught, he was hiding it, just like Merriman was probably doing. It doesn't make a bit of differnece that he came out, or claims it was only started two years ago. Especially since we probably don't know all his motivations for admitting it.

And you also understand, that just because a player has an injury and needs to recover, they can't just decide to take some HGH and make it all better, if they could it wouldn't be against league rules.

alright. fine answers. i dont think its okay but agreed, it goes unnoticed. its not tested for in the league.

i didnt have anything to say for Castillo..if it was injury i understand to certain extent because your dream is there and u want to be healthy. but as ur older..its different than when your younger and trying to compete and make it. Older guys like Rodney, its believable that he did it for injuries. he loves the game as u should know and no1 wants to go out of the league with an injury. u wanna leave with a happy ending.

JK17
09-01-2007, 05:34 PM
alright. fine answers. i dont think its okay but agreed, it goes unnoticed. its not tested for in the league.

i didnt have anything to say for Castillo..if it was injury i understand to certain extent because your dream is there and u want to be healthy. but as ur older..its different than when your younger and trying to compete and make it. Older guys like Rodney, its believable that he did it for injuries. he loves the game as u should know and no1 wants to go out of the league with an injury. u wanna leave with a happy ending.

And thats great and all, but that goes back to A) If you believe that's the only reason he did it, and B) the fact that its still against the league rules, no matter what kind of ending he has.

A) If you do believe it though, how can you automatically trust him, and not Merriman for saying he didn't take it knowingly. Now, I'm not saying he did, but you can't just trust one and not the other for no reason.

B) Violated League Rules, bottom line. The situation is not much different then Merriman's at the core.

remix 6
09-01-2007, 05:37 PM
if it came down to whos going to have a more tainted image. i would say Merriman though because possibly reasoning and age

only way i think that matters is because both have respect and both could/will be HOF candidates 1 day

JK17
09-01-2007, 06:43 PM
if it came down to whos going to have a more tainted image. i would say Merriman though because possibly reasoning and age

only way i think that matters is because both have respect and both could/will be HOF candidates 1 day

Oh, yeah Merriman will definitely be more tainted I feel, mainly because of when it happened. Maybe in hindsight ten years down the road, it might fade away, but since it happened so late in Rodney's career, and although he's great, he hasn't been as dominant in his position as Merriman, he's had a lower profile.

Both will be damaged by it though.

Shiver
09-01-2007, 06:58 PM
I cannot believe some people are actually buying his spin. He took a substance in order to recover from injuries faster than a normal human body would do, a substance noted for increased muscle development and bone density, and was suspended as if he was caught with any other performance enhancer. Yet he wants us to believe that taking HGH is somehow different and less objectionable? Yeah right...