PDA

View Full Version : LenDale White bashers...

LonghornsLegend
08-31-2007, 09:09 PM
He's always the focal point of jokes and laughter, he gets called fat and lazy at every opportunity, was talked about this entire off season for blowing his chance to "take over" the rb position...but from everything ive read thus far, the job is his and he has looked good and consistently improved up to this point...

White makes move
Shows ability for starting spot with runs, block

By PAUL KUHARSKY
Staff Writer

The Titans' color-coded run system featured a lot of White and only a bit of Brown in the first team's work against Green Bay on Thursday night.

In his second straight week as the starter, LenDale White turned 15 carries into 58 yards, took a short pass 19 yards and threw a key block to ensure safe passage for Vince Young into the end zone during a 30-14 victory.

White has spoken frequently of his desire to win the starting job and carry the load. Coach Jeff Fisher said recently that he intends to use White and Chris Brown a lot and that the starting role "basically amounts to getting somebody's name in the program."

"All I can do is go out there and play football," White said. "I think we had a great day of running the football, the offensive line and (fullback) Ahmard Hall did a great job, what else can you say? They cleared the holes, all you've got to do is run through them."

The Titans finished with 152 rushing yards on 32 carries for a 4.8-yard average.

Patience and burst

White's best run came on his most important carry.

On a fourth-and-1 from the Green Bay 39 early in the second quarter, the Titans hurried to the line of scrimmage without a huddle. White took the ball up the middle, sliced through the line, emerged on the other side, squeezed between linebacker Desmond Bishop and cornerback Frank Walker and went 21 yards before he was dragged down.

"You've got to pace yourself, you can't just hit the hole," White said. "You've got to time it up with the guys coming down and making their blocks. On the fourth-and-1 it was just a whole bunch of green grass."

Later in second quarter on another touchdown drive, the Titans went exclusively
with two-back sets with White carrying early, Brown coming in for relief and White finishing up with the goal line block.

As Young weaved toward the right pylon, White leveled Packers defensive back Atari Bigby as he began to make a move toward the Titans quarterback.

"I saw him over there and I kind of cut back so he could make that block," Young said. "He's a physical guy and we need that guy in the backfield as well as Chris Brown."

Low-key attitude

White talked nonchalantly about the highlight play, saying he simply didn't want to be the guy on film that the rest of the offense would talk about.

Much of Nashville will be talking about White as the Titans prepare for their Sept. 9 opener in Jacksonville. Even so, he's not intent on winning over his critics, he said.

"To be honest, I don't really know if I want to convince everybody," he said.

"All I want to do is convince these guys that I am playing with every Sunday. That's who I am out there with. As long as they are happy with what I did, that's all I need."

source: http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... 10436/1027

Fisher has stated that he does not like the RBBC approach, and once the name a starter he intends on giving him around 275 carries...Lendale has shown alot of improvement and looks to make that next step this yr to some of his potential

Shiver
08-31-2007, 09:17 PM
He's looked good thus far. I just think it's funny to call him LenWhale White, despite the fact that he isn't that fat anymore.

OzTitan
08-31-2007, 09:21 PM
He looked good, but lets not get too far ahead of reality, it was against Packer backups mostly.

He should be the starter, but the criticism and jokes are warranted. He may be a fine player with his weight, but how much better would he be if he had Eddie George's work ethic? I think the overweight stuff was blown way out of proportion, but what beats me is when he claims to be 110% into his career at HB, and then admits to not coming in at the best shape he could have - makes no sense. If he was truly dedicated, he would have been fit and at his peak on day one.

I think he'll do pretty well overall but I question his ability to stay healthy. In limited play, he has already been nicked up enough to miss time which doesn't fill me with confidence really. Then again I guess the time he has missed was not important time anyway (as he was either a backup or it was preseason), so maybe he'd usually play through those. I guess ultimately we just don't know the real LenDale White yet.

doingthisinsteadofwork
08-31-2007, 09:35 PM
God whats up with all the whining by Titans fans lately.

Pit Bull #53
08-31-2007, 09:38 PM
He's a Cowboys fan

LonghornsLegend
08-31-2007, 09:47 PM

i didnt know i was a titans fan just because i liked lendale white coming out...im not even a huge fan, i just noticed he was bashed to no end when a report comes out about him being overweight and everyone jumps all over him, yet he has played pretty solid when presented with most of his opportunities

Crazy_Chris
08-31-2007, 10:23 PM
I just think it's funny to call him LenWhale White, despite the fact that he isn't that fat anymore.

Hit the nail one head there... he will still always be LenWhale White to me

etk
08-31-2007, 10:54 PM
Even if he rushes for 2500 yards, the fact remains that he is not in optimum NFL shape and he needs to work harder on conditioning. At this point he is mediocre which makes his weight problems even more mind-boggling and frustrating.

bored of education
08-31-2007, 11:03 PM
how many reg season yards does he have?

kthanxbye

TitanAddict
08-31-2007, 11:05 PM

We just want to give you other fans fair warning before we start dominating the NFL this year ... Whoo!

TitanAddict
08-31-2007, 11:09 PM
Even if he rushes for 2500 yards, the fact remains that he is not in optimum NFL shape and he needs to work harder on conditioning. At this point he is mediocre which makes his weight problems even more mind-boggling and frustrating.

Did you give him his physical or something? How do you know? He's looked pretty good to me. Just because he isn't ripped doesn't mean he isn't in shape. Some people just have a different body type, i.e. Jerome Bettis. LenDale (like just about any athlete other than Rip Hamilton) could probably be in better shape, but I think he'll be just fine fitness-wise. You just won't ever see him in a white T.O. body suit ... actually, that would be pretty funny to see :)

neko4
08-31-2007, 11:20 PM
Jerome Bettis anyone?
I like White alot, but i dont think he can carry a team with out a speedy backup

Sniper
08-31-2007, 11:21 PM
LenDale was so beastly at SC. I hope he tears it up in the NFL. He's a joy to watch when he's on.

draftguru151
08-31-2007, 11:25 PM
Yea White came to camp in shape, circle's a shape. White said himself he didn't come into camp in as good as shape as he should have, how are you trying to say that when he admits himself he isn't?

Ward
08-31-2007, 11:27 PM
If only every thread could be as funny as the Titans threads we've had lately.

OzTitan
08-31-2007, 11:36 PM
Jerome Bettis anyone?
I like White alot, but i dont think he can carry a team with out a speedy backup

I wouldn't want him to go without a decent backup for sure. In this day and age, you need depth at HB. There are only very few HB's I'd be happy with by their own in this league.

TitanAddict, White said himself he didn't come in at optimal shape, if not directly than indirectly by acknowledging he lost considerable weight when he got to camp. He seems to say one thing (I'm dedicated, I want this job etc), but it just doesn't show with his physical fitness. He seems much better right now, but you'd expect a guy who proclaims himself to be dedicated to take an opportunity like he had entering the offseason by the horns and never look back - you don't expect them to show up in a condition that needs considerable work to fix.

TitanAddict
08-31-2007, 11:49 PM
Yea White came to camp in shape, circle's a shape. White said himself he didn't come into camp in as good as shape as he should have, how are you trying to say that when he admits himself he isn't?

That was at the beginning of camp. One month later ... he seems fine. How good of shape do you need to be in to be a 20-25 carry RB anyway? Football is not exactly basketball or soccer when it comes to necessary conditioning level. Now, you don't need to be a fat sloth, but no one is asking LenDale to run a 6 minute mile. If Corey Simon were lining up at tailback, then I would be concerned ... although no one would want to tackle him ...

TitanAddict
08-31-2007, 11:54 PM
Just so you guys don't think that I have a man-crush on every single Titan, let me name a few folks who are currently on the roster (at least until tomorrow) who I don't think are incredibly awesome:

1. Lamont Thompson -- Hopefully he gets cut tomorrow. He's awful. It would be classic addition by subtraction.

2. Reynaldo Hill -- He looks the part, but has poor football instincts and can't support the run worth a flip. He needs to be the dimeback or lower.

3. Eric Moulds -- Apparantly, he has already locked up a starting job. How? He has looked pretty bad so far this preseason, though he did have a couple of decent catches against the Packers last night. I feel as if B. Jones, R. Williams, J. Gage, and C. Davis should all play ahead of him.

4. Eh ... I like everybody else :)

Shiver
09-01-2007, 12:37 AM
Did Ward really edit the title to say "LenWhale White." That is hysterical.

Ward
09-01-2007, 12:51 AM
Did Ward really edit the title to say "LenWhale White." That is hysterical.

I wish I could take credit, but it wasn't me!

Shiver
09-01-2007, 12:52 AM
DG? njx? P-L? D-Unit? This mystery must be solved!

draftguru151
09-01-2007, 12:54 AM
I couldn't resist. :D

Shiver
09-01-2007, 12:56 AM
I assumed it was one of the three of us who were in here, but I saw Ward use the term so I figured it was him. You were my 2nd choice.

Shiver
09-01-2007, 01:00 AM
Back on topic: remember when some people claimed he would be the better NFL player than Reggie Bush. I remember Bill Plaschke was one of that crowd. It's amazing how quickly every sports writer in the country will flip-flop or write something that is complete gibberish. Look at Peter King! And he's renowned as an NFL writer!

Chucky
09-01-2007, 01:20 AM
Back on topic: remember when some people claimed he would be the better NFL player than Reggie Bush. I remember Bill Plaschke was one of that crowd. It's amazing how quickly every sports writer in the country will flip-flop or write something that is complete gibberish. Look at Peter King! And he's renowned as an NFL writer!

I remember for a while people thought he would be a lock at 10 to the Cards

Ward
09-01-2007, 01:31 AM

It's common in all of sports media: no accountability for previous ridiculous claims. It's the mark of a terrible writer/analyst, a guy who will constantly go out on a limb because the one time he's right he'll be considered cutting edge and brilliant by people who don't regularly read his work.

PACKmanN
09-01-2007, 01:49 AM
I find it funny that ppl are funny over the fact that he got those yards vs our second and third stringers.

nobodyinparticular
09-01-2007, 01:59 AM
We just want to give you other fans fair warning before we start dominating the NFL this year ... Whoo!

Oh god....

TitanAddict
09-01-2007, 02:07 AM
I find it funny that ppl are funny over the fact that he got those yards vs our second and third stringers.

At least he tallied 15 carries without cramping or passing out ... It's called baby steps ...

Smooth Criminal
09-01-2007, 07:22 AM
I remember when people thought the steelers made a huge mistake not getting him. I think we got a way better player with holmes.

TitanAddict
09-01-2007, 08:42 AM
I remember when people thought the steelers made a huge mistake not getting him. I think we got a way better player with holmes.

Holmes will be a fine player, but why are people so quick to judge LenDale White before he's given his fair chance?

Sniper
09-01-2007, 08:57 AM
Holmes will be a fine player, but why are people so quick to judge LenDale White before he's given his fair chance?

Don't you know? You have one season and in Amobi Okoye's case one training camp before you're declared a bust. :rolleyes: So, in essence, guys like Bush (ONLY 1,300 total yards) , Williams, Bunkley etc...they're all busts too. Don't feel bad. ;)

tjpackers
09-01-2007, 10:23 AM
he is a good rb he is always been behind a better rb exept for last year he should have started

ks_perfection
09-01-2007, 11:47 AM

Until White plays we can't know that for certain, but we do know that Holmes fills a big need and White at best would be a backup.

Bobo
09-01-2007, 01:07 PM

Why was Bettis never in "optimum NFL shape"? I don't know, but I know he was a good back, maybe HOF. If Lendale stays in a similar shape, yet runs for a lot of yards.....who cares how he looks? Is there even an optimum NFL shape?

I'd prefer to see him as cut as Eddie George, who was one of the best built backs I've ever seen.....but do I want EG type production in his last 4 years in the league? No....yet he looked great! But after he got worn down (yet still was in awesome shape), he wasn't the same back as he was in his prime.

Fisher said Lendale's at his weight now, and as long as he's in good enough condition to stay healthy, I can't really care if he's chubby. All I'll care about are the yards.

OzTitan
09-01-2007, 07:56 PM
If he's productive then right, who cares what he looks like, but the fact he could perhaps be even more productive if he really focused on getting in shape is still going to loom over his head.

Bobo
09-01-2007, 08:39 PM
That's true Oz, we just don't know. Yet he was heaviest in the 2005 Rose Bowl game and had a very good game. One things for sure, he's a pile pusher at this weight. I'm not really worried until coach starts riding him hard, and I think some of these things get blown out of proportion at times.

ninerfan
09-02-2007, 02:21 AM
they have just been sticking a donut about 6 inches in front of his face

LonghornsLegend
09-02-2007, 04:40 AM
they have just been sticking a donut about 6 inches in front of his face

that was so funny

Bobo
09-02-2007, 01:07 PM
I pulled my hammy going for a donut this morning :(

JoeMontainya
09-02-2007, 01:15 PM
He's always the focal point of jokes and laughter, he gets called fat and lazy at every opportunity, was talked about this entire off season for blowing his chance to "take over" the rb position...but from everything ive read thus far, the job is his and he has looked good and consistently improved up to this point...

source: http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... 10436/1027

Fisher has stated that he does not like the RBBC approach, and once the name a starter he intends on giving him around 275 carries...Lendale has shown alot of improvement and looks to make that next step this yr to some of his potential

Fisher said the opposite. He said that he likes multiple RB's splitting carries because it keeps them all fresh. He was quoted in a fantasy football update as saying this and thats why most people are avoiding Tennessee RB's.

JoeMontainya
09-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Why was Bettis never in "optimum NFL shape"? I don't know, but I know he was a good back, maybe HOF. If Lendale stays in a similar shape, yet runs for a lot of yards.....who cares how he looks? Is there even an optimum NFL shape?

I'd prefer to see him as cut as Eddie George, who was one of the best built backs I've ever seen.....but do I want EG type production in his last 4 years in the league? No....yet he looked great! But after he got worn down (yet still was in awesome shape), he wasn't the same back as he was in his prime.

Fisher said Lendale's at his weight now, and as long as he's in good enough condition to stay healthy, I can't really care if he's chubby. All I'll care about are the yards.

Man I miss Eddie George. Dude looked like he was chizzeled out of stone. It was funny watching other teams try to tackle him also.

smittyjs
09-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Yea White came to camp in shape, circle's a shape. White said himself he didn't come into camp in as good as shape as he should have, how are you trying to say that when he admits himself he isn't?He was 20 pounds over weight coming into camp, which is normal for player coming back from the offseason, but he now around his normal playing wait of 240...

nhlkdog411
09-02-2007, 02:10 PM
saying that he has a similar bodytype to bettis isn't necessarily a good thing..jerome is another guy who would have been smart to lose some pounds...he was a workhorse yah but he hardly EVER averaged more than like 3.8 yards a carry which isn't very impressive. he was a very overrated player in my opinion.

TitanAddict
09-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Fisher said the opposite. He said that he likes multiple RB's splitting carries because it keeps them all fresh. He was quoted in a fantasy football update as saying this and thats why most people are avoiding Tennessee RB's.

No, that was misinterpereted. Fisher, ideally, wants to give the starter (LenDale) between 60-70% of the carries with the backup (Chris Brown) the rest. Chris Henry might get a couple of carries if he dresses. I would expect 20-25 carries from LenDale, 8-12 from Brown, and a couple more between fullback Ahmard Hall and Chris Henry. Plus, Vince will definitely scramble between 5-10 times per game.

smittyjs
09-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Will your first team defense was in during most of the first since i was at the game and he didn't look to bad

smittyjs
09-02-2007, 08:45 PM
saying that he has a similar bodytype to bettis isn't necessarily a good thing..jerome is another guy who would have been smart to lose some pounds...he was a workhorse yah but he hardly EVER averaged more than like 3.8 yards a carry which isn't very impressive. he was a very overrated player in my opinion.YPC is the most overrated stats in football, EG never had a great one, but i would take EG's career average of 3.6 over Tiki barber 4.6 anyday of the week.

OzTitan
09-02-2007, 11:45 PM
If you get 3.4 per carry, as in literally, you get a first down every 3 carries. Consistency is the key with YPC, not raw values. EG's game was consistency, when he lost that he lost everything. On the other hand, Chris Brown is the type of HB that puts out a pretty nice YPC at times, but he is terribly inconsistent from down to down.

Fisher says he wants to share the load etc etc but the reality is, he won't take carries away from a guy who is hot. If White is playing we'll, he'll keep feeding it to him like any starting HB.

TitanHope
09-03-2007, 12:15 AM
To repeat OzTitan, Fisher has said that if a RB is playing well, then he'll be the starter and get the majority of the carries. He won't sit him. And if none stand out, then it will be RB by comittee. That's official, per his commments after a practice news conference.

Bobo
09-03-2007, 12:13 PM
You can always trust Fisher....always lol.

ks_perfection
09-03-2007, 06:49 PM
I trust him when he says something that is standard and makes alot of sense.

nhlkdog411
09-04-2007, 10:43 AM
you'd really take eddie george over tiki?really?eddie was slightly better at scoring touchdowns although part of that is because tiki was always paired with a goal line back..other than that tiki was faster a better reciever always averaged better on his runs (which despite what someone said isn't very important, you can't tell me you'd really rather have someone average 3.6 over someone averaging 4.6)

TitanHope
09-04-2007, 02:17 PM
Eddie George and Tiki Barber are two different types of backs. George is the definition of a power back. Over his 9 season career, he had a total of 2865 carries. Thats an average of 318 carries per season. Over Tiki's 10 season career, he had 2217 carries. Which is an average of 222 carries per season. Not to mention, George is also the definition of consistency (He's probably listed in Webster's many times...). During his career in Tennessee, he never missed a game. He also ran for over 1,000 yards in every season he was here, save the 2001 season when he ran for 939. Tiki has a higher YPC avg. and ran for more yards than George... 8 more yards, to be exact, but George has a higher YPG avg. and ran for 13 more TD's than Barber. Though, Barber handily beats George when it comes to receiving, but Barber has more fumbles and fumbles lost than Eddie.

Both are great backs, but if not for Tiki's last 3 years in the offense in New York, his name wouldn't even be allowed in the same sentence as Eddie's. Personally, I like Eddie George more, and thats from a statistical stand point and knowing what type of offense he was in. Tiki Barber, though, is the better all around back so he would thrive in a balanced offense. It just depends on what offense you run.

Bobo
09-04-2007, 06:54 PM
A lot of fans who aren't Titans fans may not have seen the decline Eddie took after about 6 years. During his prime, he was one of the best backs in the league. When he fell off, his average ypc went way low. I guess it's just a quick stats that someone sees and trys to judge him by, but he was much better than what you normally think of when you see 3.6 ypc.

Dude wouldn't come out of the game, he was as much of a football warrior as I've seen. We usually had crapola behind him, and it didn't matter. Only other player to ever get 10,000 yards and never miss a game was Jim Brown.

But hey, we got Chris Brown now. He's much faster and that'll show in his YPC....yet he'll probably end with less than half the total yards for his career than EG.

Sniper
09-04-2007, 06:56 PM
But hey, we got Chris Brown now. He's much faster and that'll show in his YPC....yet he'll probably end with less than half the total yards for his career than EG.

The same Chris Brown that averaged 3.3 ypc at Arizona and had to fight for his job? WOOOOO What a savior!

09-04-2007, 07:07 PM
if im not mistaken lendale white does not have an official recorded 40 time from either high school or college..lol

Sniper
09-04-2007, 07:10 PM
if im not mistaken lendale white does not have an official recorded 40 time from either high school or college..lol

LenDale's a tank. Doesn't need no damn 40 times....;)

OzTitan
09-04-2007, 07:18 PM
The same Chris Brown that averaged 3.3 ypc at Arizona and had to fight for his job? WOOOOO What a savior!

Erm, that's Chris Henry....

P-L
09-04-2007, 07:25 PM
A lot of fans who aren't Titans fans may not have seen the decline Eddie took after about 6 years. During his prime, he was one of the best backs in the league. When he fell off, his average ypc went way low. I guess it's just a quick stats that someone sees and trys to judge him by, but he was much better than what you normally think of when you see 3.6 ypc.

His yards per carry over his first six years was 3.75, which is nothing special.

VoteLynnSwan
09-04-2007, 07:28 PM
That was at the beginning of camp. One month later ... he seems fine. How good of shape do you need to be in to be a 20-25 carry RB anyway? Football is not exactly basketball or soccer when it comes to necessary conditioning level. Now, you don't need to be a fat sloth, but no one is asking LenDale to run a 6 minute mile. If Corey Simon were lining up at tailback, then I would be concerned ... although no one would want to tackle him ...

... you actually believe that an NFL runningback doesn't have to be in good shape?!

Bobo
09-04-2007, 08:25 PM

Uh....yeah....that Chris Brown.

[snicker]

Bobo
09-04-2007, 08:33 PM
His yards per carry over his first six years was 3.75, which is nothing special.

Actually I meant his 6th year is when he went down, after his foot nearly fell off after 2000. He wasn't the same in 01 and on. He averaged 3.9 in his prime, but a number simply doesn't tell the whole story, the number itself is nothing special.

OzTitan
09-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Eddie in his prime was the type of back that actually got 3.5 to 4 yards per carry, as in almost every time he took the hand off. Consistency running the ball is hugely under appreciated in the NFL media/fan base. His style was perfect for ball control offense. He wasn't often going to get 1, 3 and then -1 yards on one series, and then 12, 3, and 6 on the next series to even out his YPC to 4.0, he was going to get 3, then 5, then 4, then 3, then 5, then 4 etc. It's not like he didn't have big runs and ineffective runs but he was great at keeping drives going.

That's why YPC itself is misleading. You could get 95 yards on 26 carries and be more integral to a victory than if you got 120 on 25 carries. Most backs get these nice runs between the 30's but then stall a drive when it counts, leaving TOP and ball control lacking. If you can pick up 3 on 3rd and 2 almost every time and leave your offense with 3rd and short after rushed on 1st and 2nd down with regularity, that's the basis of a truly healthy running offense. It's not flashy but it's very effective.

Bobo
09-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Well said there Oz ;)

That's the old Titans we knew and loved :-/

smittyjs
09-05-2007, 07:38 AM
But that's what i like a RB thta can carry the ball three times and get a first down, which he did.

Sniper
09-05-2007, 09:31 AM
Erm, that's Chris Henry....

Hahahaha you're so right, and I'm an idiot ;) I thought you were one of the guys who fell for the Combine hype for Henry

TitanAddict
09-05-2007, 12:09 PM
last season there were 102 running backs who averaged a first down every three carries. there were 42 who didn't. so technically, you would've been just as happy with about 2/3 of the running backs in the league as, say, LT. because both can carry the ball three times and get a first down. or, you're attempting to cover up for george's late career mediocrity with a stat that isn't necessarily relevant in any way, shape or form.

I think he was trying to say that Eddie got his 3.5 yards per carry in a different way than other backs. Some running backs run for 10, 0, -2, 3, 1, 2, 8, -1, etc. Eddie was more like 3, 4, 2, 6, 4, 3, 9, 2, 2, 3, etc. He wouldn't get long runs, but he would almost always get at least 2-3.

smittyjs
09-05-2007, 02:54 PM
last season there were 102 running backs who averaged a first down every three carries. there were 42 who didn't. so technically, you would've been just as happy with about 2/3 of the running backs in the league as, say, LT. because both can carry the ball three times and get a first down. or, you're attempting to cover up for george's late career mediocrity with a stat that isn't necessarily relevant in any way, shape or form.
I like a RB that can get you tough first downs, but can run the ball 30 - 35 times a game week in and out.....rather than a guy that carries the ball 20 times a game. No doubt EG's stats were bad his last few years, but by this we had already rode him to the superbowl and playoffs multiply times. EG in his prime was one of the best Rb because of his toughness and hard running style of breaking 3 and 4 tackles just to get 3 or 4 yards, he never gave up on a play.

TitanAddict
09-05-2007, 03:01 PM
eddie george's success rate in 2000 (footballoutsiders.com) at 42% was 30th best in 2000. in 2001, he was 47th out of 47 running backs with over 75 carries in DPAR, DVOA and success rate.

which all suggests that eddie was NOT getting necessarily steady yardage per carry.

Then why did he win the Heisman, go to multiple pro bowls, make the Madden cover, lead his team to the Super Bowl, and will at least be considered for the Hall of Fame? Yeah, Eddie sucked from day one ...

duckseason
09-05-2007, 03:09 PM
I've always felt that Eddie was tremendously overrated. Not because he was particularly bad, but because of the extremely high amount of praise he's received throughout and after his career. It's just unwarranted, imo.

TitanAddict
09-05-2007, 11:24 PM
98% of what you just said have NOTHING to do with what i said. i mean, yeah, the heisman has a LOT to do with NFL success. just ask danny wuerrfel and eric crouch. great argument.

further, quote where i said that eddie sucked. find one place where i said that. can't? then quit being hyperbolic just because someone questioned how "great" a titan was.

I just think that too many people get caught up in the numbers game when it comes to NFL players. In baseball, go for it. It's all about numbers. Not so in football. Take my boy, Vince Young, for instance. He completed 51% of his passes last year, 12 TDs and 13 INTs. You would think that he would have a losing record, but he went 8-3 with a six game winning streak over several good teams. Why? Because he took over games at the end and made clutch plays. Now, I don't think Eddie was some sort of demi-god or something, but he was an excellent player. I think if someone were to call him overrated over his entire career, then that person would obviously be like the guy on the ESPN Mobile commercials who is talking out of his ass.

It works both ways. Peyton Manning was considered overrated until this past February when he won the Super Bowl. Until then, he was "the guy who puts up numbers but can't win the big one." The same title is still designated to Dan Marino.

I'll be the first one to tell you that Eddie was no great back his last 3 years, but there's no way in hell that he wasn't a great back for the first 7-8 years of his career. The man helped carry the Titans to a Super Bowl that they came within a yard of tying and probably would have won in overtime. If you think Eddie George was overrated over that time period, then you definitely need to re-assess your definition of a good football player.

09-05-2007, 11:29 PM
I just think that too many people get caught up in the numbers game when it comes to NFL players. In baseball, go for it. It's all about numbers. Not so in football. Take my boy, Vince Young, for instance. He completed 51% of his passes last year, 12 TDs and 13 INTs. You would think that he would have a losing record, but he went 8-3 with a six game winning streak over several good teams. Why? Because he took over games at the end and made clutch plays. Now, I don't think Eddie was some sort of demi-god or something, but he was an excellent player. I think if someone were to call him overrated over his entire career, then that person would obviously be like the guy on the ESPN Mobile commercials who is talking out of his ass.

It works both ways. Peyton Manning was considered overrated until this past February when he won the Super Bowl. Until then, he was "the guy who puts up numbers but can't win the big one." The same title is still designated to Dan Marino.

I'll be the first one to tell you that Eddie was no great back his last 3 years, but there's no way in hell that he wasn't a great back for the first 7-8 years of his career. The man helped carry the Titans to a Super Bowl that they came within a yard of tying and probably would have won in overtime. If you think Eddie George was overrated over that time period, then you definitely need to re-assess your definition of a good football player.

absolutely true with players like vince young and reggie bush its not bout the numbers because you could be even more valuable to your team as a running threat aka VY or a decoy aka reggie

OzTitan
09-06-2007, 10:14 AM
I don't buy the overrated stuff simply because I don't recall anyone touting George as anything he wasn't. He wasn't praised as a dynamic back. His praise came for consistency and durability and his work horse mentality (which is not a very common thing these days). I mean it's not like anyone is claiming he has HOF potential.

And when his game dropped, so did his image with the media. It's not like he was being voted to pro bowls on name or anything, so if he was overrated, it definitely didn't come from the years where he lost his effectiveness.

OzTitan
09-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Yeah so have I - he does have the 10000+ yards milestone which probably fuels a lot of that.

Bobo
10-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Thought I'd bring this back up. And my opinion is....LW is playing bad. My only hope he can be something is maybe if he gets in better shape and replaces to fat with muscle.

Fisher didn't seem to care much, and I figured he could get a shot at his fat ass weight....but it's not working. I wasn't very impressed with him last year, and the Titans did try to get Turner and reached for a guy in the 2nd round this year. I think it's clear now....make a change Fisher.

OzTitan
10-17-2007, 07:59 PM
A back like White can't carry a broken offense on his back. When the passing attack forces the safeties back out of the box, then he'll run better.

osi+ap=allshallperish
10-17-2007, 08:28 PM
I think that henry is the titans future, once he gets a better feel for that oline, which is developing very nicely and improves his vision. I mean short of his vision henry is a great young prospect he has the speed and power along with quick feet and powerful legs to break arm tackles. With time and further development along the line I could see him having great success next year, if the titans bring in a talented wide out that offense should be very good down the road.

Bobo
10-17-2007, 09:59 PM
A back like White can't carry a broken offense on his back. When the passing attack forces the safeties back out of the box, then he'll run better.

You're right, he's no Eddie George. But, I don't think he's even an avg starting back right now, and that's the biggest problem. We had those 8-9 man fronts last year, and Travis Henry did much better. Henry is just much better.

LW hardly breaks tackles for a big guy, can't hit the hole fast, can't break outside....about all he does well is push a pile....and he can block. There have been many holes, and one on one opportunities. LW can't hit a lot of those holes fast enough and can't make one guy miss or break that tackle.

We're not going to have a big pass attack with this current team/Fisher's mindset. Dinger is gone and we're built to run, and that's what Fisher wants. I'm fine with this o-line, and getting a better back is the way to go. We can't get a new QB and WR core overnight. Now if the pass game does improve, that should make things better for White....but I still don't see him being anything special at all.

OzTitan
10-18-2007, 02:55 AM
It's different this year. Defenses aren't respecting VY anymore like last year. We saw what it did in week 1 when the Jags made Peterson a spy and he was basically taken out of every running play by counters and stretches etc as they gameplanned to stop VY faking a handoff and rolling out. This isn't happening anymore.

And it's going to work too, until VY starts to sting defenses for not pre-eliminating his scrambling threat. The issue here is VY seems anti-scramble now and has not been anywhere near as happy to take off compared to last season. D's aren't respecting his legs like they used to and VY isn't using them like he used to because he is developing as a passer and as such isn't finding the need to scramble as much. This is putting a heavy emphasis on the passing game, which has suffered, and this isn't helping our HB's at all. It will remain like this until VY starts scrambling more again, or until he develops into more of a passing threat. He doesn't need to pass for 300 every week, he just needs to punish defenses for putting emphasis on playing the run. When he can do this, our run game will emerge.

White isn't likely ever going to be a pro bowl back but he will be an effective back in a balanced offense. We're not balanced right now. I'd love for him to be more fit or for us to get a true franchise stud at HB too for sure, but our rushing struggles IMO are a result of the offense more than the struggling offense being a result of the rushing.

Bobo
10-18-2007, 08:45 AM
I watched some film from last year where Travis Henry was supposedly being helped by MLB's spying Young. I saw a few plays where that was obvious, but nothing like what happened to Jax the 1st game of this year. We had a lot of 8-9 men in the box last year, and our passing game isn't much different.

So I'm not seeing major differences. VY is actually on pace to rush more times this year than last. The only thing I'm left with is the obvious difference my eyes see between Travis Henry and Lendale White. And based on the type of team Fisher wants, and the personnel we have now, the best way I see of changing things is changing the RB.

OzTitan
10-18-2007, 09:51 AM
VY's rushes this year though are quite different - he seems to be waiting a bit longer before taking off and hence gets fewer yards. He hasn't gashed a D yet for a 20+ gain has he? Last year he couldn't go 4 games without a 20+ TD run it seemed. Plus I think in general defenses are catching on that letting VY run around a bit if probably better than allowing 200+ on the ground anyway, so they're not as scared about committing to handoffs as runs as before. That's just my observations.

You're right though, Travis Henry 06 > LenDale White 07. But if VY was clicking right now it wouldn't be as obvious. The bad offense just really exposes the fact White is probably at best a short yardage, goal line back, but then the Titans are not really suggesting he's much more (he has been splitting carries with CB after all).

Ewing
10-18-2007, 09:57 AM
VY's rushes this year though are quite different - he seems to be waiting a bit longer before taking off and hence gets fewer yards. He hasn't gashed a D yet for a 20+ gain has he? Last year he couldn't go 4 games without a 20+ TD run it seemed. Plus I think in general defenses are catching on that letting VY run around a bit if probably better than allowing 200+ on the ground anyway, so they're not as scared about committing to handoffs as runs as before. That's just my observations.

You're right though, Travis Henry 06 > LenDale White 07. But if VY was clicking right now it wouldn't be as obvious. The bad offense just really exposes the fact White is probably at best a short yardage, goal line back, but then the Titans are not really suggesting he's much more (he has been splitting carries with CB after all).

Here's hoping for Jonathan Stewart in the draft...

ks_perfection
10-18-2007, 10:17 AM
With the drafting of Chris Henry last year I can't see the Titans going after another back with a top pick.

OzTitan
10-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Yeah, gotta say, Stewart as he looks right now as a prospect is our ideal back. He's like if CB and White combined.

OzTitan
10-18-2007, 10:20 AM
With the drafting of Chris Henry last year I can't see the Titans going after another back with a top pick.

It does seem unlikely, but if the position is that dismal and FA is fruitless, it might be a necessary move to make.

But I don't see it because I think the run game will suffice once the offense evens out a bit.

stephenson86
10-18-2007, 10:44 AM
J Stewart all the way please

Bobo
10-18-2007, 04:25 PM

He's getting 10 fewer yards per game average, I don't see that as a big deal. He's got 2 20+ yard runs in 4 1/2 games, he had 6 last year. I've watched for guys obviously keying in on VY this year and last, and there's a few games where it's more pronounced, but it's not like it's a night and day difference from this season to last. Now maybe teams are really planning for us different this year, but I can't tell.

I wouldn't mind VY running more, he's a much bigger threat to than LW. But I think knowing when to run and when to pass is still something he's learning. And passing more should open up the run game some. I think we're going to have to wait even past this year to see VY become more like McNair was. Until then, LW won't get the job done. I'm fine with him getting some short yardage carries, which we'll probably have a lot of, but I want the majority of carries to go to someone else.

And yeah, if they have a shot at drafting a good RB this year, or maybe getting Turner as a FA, I'm all for it unless by some miracle Chris Henry looks like a stud.

zoinks
10-18-2007, 11:40 PM
He's getting 10 fewer yards per game average, I don't see that as a big deal. He's got 2 20+ yard runs in 4 1/2 games, he had 6 last year. I've watched for guys obviously keying in on VY this year and last, and there's a few games where it's more pronounced, but it's not like it's a night and day difference from this season to last. Now maybe teams are really planning for us different this year, but I can't tell.

Huh?

Last year, VY never went more than a week without a rushing TD. This year, he scored in the season opener, but hasn't sniffed the endzone since.

Last year, Vince consistently gained yards in large chunks, averaging well over 5 yards per carry in almost every game, and converting one third down after another. This year, five games into the season, VY has averaged more than 5 ypc only once, and has converted only 8 first downs all year. (This is a far cry from his performances against the Eagles and Giants last year. He probably converted a good half-dozen first downs in each of those games.)

It's a rather dangerous game he's playing, here. Yeah, he's quickly improving as a passer....but he's also made himself relatively one-dimensional, and has shown little inclination to make use of his greatest strength, and the thing that sets him apart from the rest of the league. Until he starts making plays or pushing the ball down the field a bit more, he's just another guy with a 70-something passer rating.

Bobo
10-19-2007, 03:59 PM
What are you "huh'ing"? The stats? His stats are worse rushing this year, but they aren't colossal. I still don't see how it's making LW look as bad as he's looked, if that's your point.

soybean
10-28-2007, 03:09 PM
25-133 that shut you guys up didn't it?

Staubach12
10-28-2007, 03:12 PM
One game doesn't make a player.

Windy
10-28-2007, 03:13 PM
on a defensive line that is terrible and plus without 2 starters.

sodar21
10-28-2007, 03:48 PM
on a defensive line that is terrible and plus without 2 starters.

Guess what, most players tend to get their best numbers against bad Ds. Look at the crap Tomlinson played against in the second half of the last season and its easy to see why he racked up so many yards and touchdowns. He didn't do much against the good Ds. This year he struggles against Green Bay, New England, Chicago, all top Ds. Thats just how the game works.

OzTitan
10-28-2007, 04:18 PM
You know, LenDale has looked like a different runner since Henry came in against Houston. He just seems to be running harder and hitting the holes with more force than he initially was. There was no doubting he played slow in the first few games, but he certainly didn't today. Poor run D or not, he looked like a real NFL HB out there, and if he's not careful, he's going to end up with a crap load of carries this year.

He'd better keep on top of his game though, because Chris Henry is looking damn sharp. The Titans haven't had explosiveness at HB like Henry for a long long time.

Wyndham
10-28-2007, 05:13 PM
25-133 that shut you guys up didn't it?

Yeah, he really made his Pro Bowl bid in that game. Just look at his numbers on the year.

soybean
10-28-2007, 05:15 PM
Yeah, he really made his Pro Bowl bid in that game. Just look at his numbers on the year.

well it proves that he's not "a bust" like the previous posters have stated. I'm not saying he's some all pro runningback but he proved these past 2 weeks that he at least belongs in the NFL.

soybean
10-28-2007, 05:38 PM
are you joking? you think one game in two years makes some kind of point? get real.

ryan leaf had 300+ yards and 3 tds against denver in 2000. i bet that sure shut up all the people who thought he was a bust, too.

no really, great point.

obviously the potential is there. He's essentially a rookie this year. (not playing much last year and riding the pine)

this is his second consecutive 100 yard game. I'm not saying he's godly but I disagree with Bobo that Fisher should be looking for a replacement in the draft.

BrownsTown
10-28-2007, 05:41 PM
He had a good game. He's still under 4 YPC for the year. Did someone seriously say he's making a pro bowl bid? Seriously? That's hilarious.

Wyndham
10-28-2007, 05:42 PM
well it proves that he's not "a bust" like the previous posters have stated.

It doesn't prove dick outside of the fact he's capable enough of running behind a dominant OL performance against a bad run defense missing starters.

On the year, he's still one of the worst starting RBs in the NFL.

soybean
10-28-2007, 05:52 PM
It doesn't prove dick outside of the fact he's capable enough of running behind a dominant OL performance against a bad run defense missing starters.

Who cares if they're a bad run defense, they're still a professional franchise. Being able to put up 130+ yards against ANY team is impressive.

Can any scrub run for 130 against the raiders?

OzTitan
10-28-2007, 07:29 PM

139car for 513y and 4TD in 7 games isn't too bad really. 3.6YPC is about right for the type of back he is. When you consider the offense he is in (0 passing attack), he has done ok statistically.

That projects to 1200y ish yards, 8 TD's and 320 carries. Pretty good for a first time starter.

TitanHope
10-28-2007, 07:41 PM
People's perceptions seem to be skewed here. LenDale White is a 240-pound power back. He's not supposed to average 5.0+ YPC and go for 120+ yards on 20 carries. He's supposed to convert short yardage situations and tire out the defense. That's why everyone thought he was an ideal fit in Pittsburgh. He is what he is.

LenDale had a great game today. A person can discredit Oakland's run defense all you want. The Raiders had 9 defenders in the box the entire game, and Vince Young wasn't giving him any help in the passing game. Running for 133 yards is impressive no matter the opponent, and given his situation, he had a great day. Anyone who thinks otherwise either didn't watch the game or is completely bias.

It's true, one game does not make a player. But LenDale has shown improvement every game so far. He's having a solid year.

Sniper
10-28-2007, 07:42 PM
LenDale is a beast man. I hope he keeps his weight down, he's got the potential to be beastly.

TitanHope
10-28-2007, 07:46 PM
Chris Henry's performance will hopefully motivate White. Like OzTitan said, LenDale's performance has improved since the emergence of Henry. Fisher will play whoever's hot, so LenDale will have to perform and work hard in order to get the bulk of the carries.

Staubach12
are you joking? you think one game in two years makes some kind of point? get real.

ryan leaf had 300+ yards and 3 tds against denver in 2000. i bet that sure shut up all the people who thought he was a bust, too.

no really, great point.

Thank you!

OzTitan
I may be crazy, but he is looking a little thinner now than week 1. I suspected the weekly tasks of an NFL HB would bring his weight down a little (as it does for a lot of players). And I've got to say, I didn't expect him to almost average 20 carries a game, I didn't think he had the fitness to do it but he seems capable.

doingthisinsteadofwork
10-28-2007, 07:54 PM
Who cares if they're a bad run defense, they're still a professional franchise. Being able to put up 130+ yards against ANY team is impressive.

Can any scrub run for 130 against the raiders?
yeah its not that hard.Were missing Warren.We were awful in run defense before he was injured were worse now.Hell Ron Dayne had a pretty damn good game against us last year.Ron Dayne.

Bobo
10-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Other Titans fans are noticing he looks like he's hitting the holes harder and not looking so sluggish the past few games. I know some holes were there early on this year, and he just wasn't hitting them. CB was hitting a lot of those holes. I don't know the reason for the change is, but I hope LW keeps it up. If he has games like this a lot, I won't harp on him for being a lardass....but can he get in shape and still improve?

I would say he should watch for henry nipping at his heels, but I don't think Fish will bench LW.