PDA

View Full Version : Final Pre-Season Mock 43/34

Mr. Stiller
08-31-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm doing this under the assumption that...

1) Max Starks and Trai Essex leave.
2) We Re-Sign Chris Kemoeatu and Kendall Simmons
3) We're going to run a Tomlin2/3-4 Hybrid.

With that Said, I believe..

Woodley ~ Hampton ~ Keisel ~ ? Will be our front 4.
A Smith ~ Hokie ~ McBean ~ ?

Farrior ~ J. Harrison ~ Timmons Will be our LB's

Ike ~ Troy ~ A-Train ~ B Mac will be our DB's.

Now My opinion of needs:

WDE/WOLB (Obviously)
LT & RT
CB
DL Depth

With that Said:

1) Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB, OSU

He is the perfect Passrusher for either the Tomlin2 or 3-4. With his ability to play either we can seamlessly change our lineup.

2) Tony Hills, LT, Texas

We need a future LT and Hills falls to us. He's got elite athleticism and Great Strength/speed. A year behind Marvel and he'll take over.

3) Dominique Rogers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State

He drops because the LOC. He's got talent written all over him. 6'2 190lbs runs in the 4.3's. Great tackler who has a nose for the football. Definition of shutdown on his level. Should play ST and contribute as a Nickel or Dime his first season.

4) Tavares Gooden, ILB/OLB, Miami

Train him Behind James Harrison as our future MLB in the Tomlin2/34 Hybrid. Has rare speed. But he's got amazing athleticism, needs to add some weight, but he can rush the passer and play mean run stopper.

5) Andy Studebaker, WLB, Wheaton

Here's another versatile guy. He Plays DE at Wheaton, but he's a great coverage guy, plays OLB Some. He's got a 4.55 40, at 6'3 255lbs. Knows how to blitz and cover from the OLB spot. Could play some DE/OLB

6) Titus Brown, DE/OLB, Mississippi State

Again, Versatility. Titus is a dominant guy in the mold of Adalius Thomas just a bit slower. 6'3 265lbs 4.65 40. He is a beast on the Weakside and can provide 3-4 or 4-3 depth.

7) Josh Morgan, WR/KR, Virginia Tech

Some may not see the raw power this kid possesses. While not an amazing receiver, he could be a solid #2/#3. Needs some good coaching. But he does provide power. he's 6'2 220lbs and he runs in the 4.3's. He also is probably one of the strongest WR's in the NCAA Boasting #'s such as, 326lb power clean, 330lb push-jerk, and a 39.5" Vertical. He provides instant KR/PR and gives us a powerful WR to work into the starting lineup.

With that Said.

UDFA Looks:

Jalen Parmele, RB, Toledo - 6'2 220lb bruiser.
Mike Tolbert, FB/RB, Coastal carolina - 5'9 240lb speedster with raw power
Mikey Henderson, WR/KR, Georgia - 5'8 180lb Speedster with amazing cut-back ability.
Derek Uperesa, RT, St. Francis (PA) - I've seen this kid 6'6 340lbs and he's quick twitch.
Jeremy Ito, K, Rutgers - I hate biting my nails during every field goal.
Craig Mester, DE/OLB, Miami(OH) - Another Versatile DE to build the 4-3/3-4
Trevor Scott, DE/OLB, Buffalo - Another Versatile DE to build the 4-3/3-4.
Kory Robertson, NT, VT - 6'3 335lb Agile Monster. Powerful PS NT.
James McClinton, UT, Kansas - Great interior pass rusher.
Ben Moffitt, ILB, SFU - Solid MLB for either Scheme
Wesley Woodard, SS/WLB, KU - Great Coverage and Hitter, with some weight could be a solid backup WLB.
Casper Brinkley, SLB, USC - Jaspers Brother.. DE with SLB abililty.
Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa - Size/Speed just needs some consistancy.
Henti Baird, SS, Hampton - Need a Replacement for T. Carter soon and might as well get him on the PS.. Lorello ain't it.

I don't mind the 4-3 as it's effective. But I don't want a pussyfied Indy style defense that can't stop the run.

Give me a Steel Curtain style 4-3 that's dominant and painful against the run and against the receiver, and I'll sign up.

With that said..

opinions. I like a 3-4/4-3 Hybrid and designed the picks so. All the picks I made do fit into the Cover2 Methodology. Quick Dominant outside rushers with a run stopping force and a penetrating UT.

Smooth Criminal
09-01-2007, 07:15 AM
done like the linebackers or the dline. I think keisel can be a 43 end and let hoke play the other dt. I think keisel could be a justin smith like de.

Then I'd rather see foote at MLB than harrison. Plus farrior isn't a long term answer either, esspecially at olb.

And colon will not play center. Just because they tried him there in spring training doesnt mean he has a future there. His future is likely where he is at rightnow, rt. Kemo and simmons take the guards. Mahan the center. Smith will be lt for next year so the only oline that needs drafted for is LT.

Only think i think it good is the d backs but that is impossible to mess up

Man_Of_Steel
09-01-2007, 12:06 PM
4-3 Front

DE Kiesil, DT Hoke, DT Hampton, DE Smith

WLB Woodley, MLB Farrior, SLB Timmons--------------Foote rotates in.

Mr. Stiller
09-01-2007, 12:32 PM
I think you have Woodley and Timmons backwards.. TImmons the Will and Woodley the Sam.

I think Keisel would make a Killer UT. A penetrator with capability to rush the passer from the interior.

We need 2 solid pass rushers. Aaron Smith is like Justin Smith.. But he's not the pass rusher that Justin is. He's more of a hold the point, collapse the pocket/stop the run DT/34DE.

Woodley is a poor mans Dwight Freeney and would be a beast at LDE next to Hampton.

In the Cover2.. You need the following:

Duo of Solid passrushing DE's. Usually a Premier (Rice/Freeney/Adams) and a solid partner (Mathis/Spires).

A run stopping NT.. We have that.(Hampton)
A run plugger/pass rushing interior DT. (Keisel)

The cover2 is predicated on having the front 4 get to the passrusher. Aaron Smith is not a pass-rusher. Woodley is built perfectly for SDE.
Hokie is a solid backup NT, but he's not a UT.

I'm sorry you don't like the LB's or DL. But I can understand Keisel, but I think with his size/power he'd be better set at UT. Smith is not a Pass rusher. Hokie is not a UT.

Woodley ~ Hampton ~ Keisel ~ Gholston

J. Harrison ~ Farrior ~ Timmons

Man_Of_Steel
09-01-2007, 12:36 PM
I think you have Woodley and Timmons backwards.. TImmons the Will and Woodley the Sam.

I think Keisel would make a Killer UT. A penetrator with capability to rush the passer from the interior.

We need 2 solid pass rushers. Aaron Smith is like Justin Smith.. But he's not the pass rusher that Justin is. He's more of a hold the point, collapse the pocket/stop the run DT/34DE.

Woodley is a poor mans Dwight Freeney and would be a beast at LDE next to Hampton.

In the Cover2.. You need the following:

Duo of Solid passrushing DE's. Usually a Premier (Rice/Freeney/Adams) and a solid partner (Mathis/Spires).

A run stopping NT.. We have that.(Hampton)
A run plugger/pass rushing interior DT. (Keisel)

The cover2 is predicated on having the front 4 get to the passrusher. Aaron Smith is not a pass-rusher. Woodley is built perfectly for SDE.
Hokie is a solid backup NT, but he's not a UT.

I'm sorry you don't like the LB's or DL. But I can understand Keisel, but I think with his size/power he'd be better set at UT. Smith is not a Pass rusher. Hokie is not a UT.

J. Harrison ~ Farrior ~ Timmons

So your proposing we release Foote and Smith?

Mr. Stiller
09-01-2007, 12:38 PM
So your proposing we release Foote and Smith?

No. Smith Could play UT. He can penetrate and push the pocket, which would help Gholston and Woodley Immensely.

I suggest Moving Foote to Backup Harrison at SLB. Which is why I had to draft so many LB's our's our primarily 3-4.

McBean ~ Hokie ~ Smith ~ Titus Brown

Harrison ~ Farrior ~ Timmons
Foote ~ Gooden ~ Studebaker

Man_Of_Steel
09-01-2007, 12:42 PM
No. Smith Could play UT. He can penetrate and push the pocket, which would help Gholston and Woodley Immensely.

I suggest Moving Foote to Backup Harrison at SLB. Which is why I had to draft so many LB's our's our primarily 3-4.

You have Harrison playing WLB. I think Foote would start over him. Smith is way too good to sit, you think Keisil would start in place of him?

Man_Of_Steel
09-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Do you by any chance have the contracts of these guys?

Mr. Stiller
09-01-2007, 12:46 PM
You have Harrison playing WLB. I think Foote would start over him. Smith is way too good to sit, you think Keisil would start in place of him?

WLB is on the ROLB Side. Weakside is normally offense left, defense right
SLB is on the LOLB Side. Strongside is normally offense right, defense left.

I think you'd be right about Foote starting over Harrison. As for Smith. He's a great 34 DE. I agree, but he's not a pass rusher. Keisel can be a solid pass rusher, especially from the interior (Where he's practically playing in a 3-4). He had 6 sacks last season I believe, from the 3-4 DE spot. Move him to UT and thats perfect. He's powerful enough to hold the point, stop the run and has that added ability to penetrate and chase the QB. I don't see Smith as much of a pass rusher.

Mr. Stiller
09-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Do you by any chance have the contracts of these guys?

Nope. I Know Smith was just signed to a 5 year extention.. which is Why I really don't see us going 4-3 anytime soon. In a 4-3 he's a man without a position.. and I don't want to see him go to NYJ/NE... Though SF is an option.

Man_Of_Steel
09-01-2007, 01:13 PM
WLB is on the ROLB Side. Weakside is normally offense left, defense right
SLB is on the LOLB Side. Strongside is normally offense right, defense left.

I think you'd be right about Foote starting over Harrison. As for Smith. He's a great 34 DE. I agree, but he's not a pass rusher. Keisel can be a solid pass rusher, especially from the interior (Where he's practically playing in a 3-4). He had 6 sacks last season I believe, from the 3-4 DE spot. Move him to UT and thats perfect. He's powerful enough to hold the point, stop the run and has that added ability to penetrate and chase the QB. I don't see Smith as much of a pass rusher.

lol you have it backwards. SLB is ROLB and WLB is LOLB.

steelernation77
09-03-2007, 11:37 AM

Doesn't the strength change? The Steelers don't really change their formations so don't they just have a ROLB and LOLB?

Man_Of_Steel
09-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Doesn't the strength change? The Steelers don't really change their formations so don't they just have a ROLB and LOLB?

Stronside LB and Weakside LB has nothing to do with how the Steelers setup. It has to do with the formation of the offense. The TE is generally always on the left side of the Offense as well as the best lineman. Therefore the ROLB is the Strongside LB and the LOLB is the weakside backer.

Mr. Stiller
09-03-2007, 04:44 PM

I'm almost certain you have it backwards.

either way.

P-L
09-03-2007, 04:58 PM
Sorry, for just jumping in here but I'm pretty sure that ROLB is the SLB and LOLB is the WLB. At least that is how it has been in football games (Madden and NCAA). I've never referred to the LB as LOLB or ROLB so that is my only reference. LOL.

Man_Of_Steel
09-03-2007, 04:59 PM
I'm almost certain you have it backwards.

either way.

NO, you have it backwards lol, this is basic stuff. Stronside LB and Weakside LB has nothing to do with how the Steelers setup. It has to do with the formation of the opposing offense. The TE is generally always on the left side of the Offense as well as the best lineman. Therefore the ROLB is the Strongside LB and the LOLB is the weakside backer.

Man_Of_Steel
09-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Sorry, for just jumping in here but I'm pretty sure that ROLB is the SLB and LOLB is the WLB. At least that is how it has been in <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="football%20games" onmouseover="window.status='football games'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">football games</a> (Madden and NCAA). I've never referred to the LB as LOLB or ROLB so that is my only reference. LOL.

Thanks for the backup. ROLB is the strongside backer because he faces the strong side of the o-line- TE, best lineman and run side.

ROLB=SLB
LOLB=WLB

This is fact guys.

Mr. Stiller
09-03-2007, 05:11 PM
NO, you have it backwards lol, this is basic stuff. Stronside LB and Weakside LB has nothing to do with how the Steelers setup. It has to do with the formation of the opposing offense. The TE is generally always on the left side of the Offense as well as the best lineman. Therefore the ROLB is the Strongside LB and the LOLB is the weakside backer.

Well thats just further proof that my HS coach was an idiot.