PDA

View Full Version : S Michael Boulware, DE Jason Babin and QB Ryan Fitzpatrick traded

Sveen
09-01-2007, 12:25 PM
The Texans traded defensive end Jason Babin to Seattle today for safety Michael Boulware.

Babin, a former no. 1 draft choice, had a good training camp and preseason, but the Texans have been desperate because of injuries at safety.

The Texans lost Glenn Earl early in training camp.

Rookie Brandon Harrison suffered a severely pulled hamstring in practice today and could be placed on injured reserve.

Starters C.C. Brown and Jason Simmons are playing with bruised shoulders.

Boulware has been a regular starter for the Seahawks.

He covers well and is an effective pass rusher. He should be able to contribute immediately.

Source: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5101129.html

The Bengals today traded an undisclosed 2008 draft pick to the St. Louis Rams for No. 3 quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Jay Zygmunt, Rams president of football operations, confirmed the trade.

The Bengals pushed back coach Marvin Lewis' news conference from 2:15 p.m. to 4 p.m. today. At that point, the team will announce its roster moves. The Bengals and all NFL teams face that deadline to trim to 53 players. The Bengals had 75 for their exhibition game Friday night.

Fitzpatrick, a third-year player from Harvard, played in four NFL games with three starts in his first two seasons with the Rams. He was their seventh-round pick, 250 overall, in the 2005 draft.

Source: http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2007/09/bengals-trade-for-rams-qb-fitzpatrick.asp

princefielder28
09-01-2007, 12:32 PM
I like the trade for Houston

BigDawg819
09-01-2007, 12:34 PM
The Houston/Seattle trade is a change of scenery for both players and should work out well. Fitzpatrick to Cincy is a bit intriguing......

Mr. Stiller
09-01-2007, 12:34 PM
The bengals trade an additional draft pick, after using a 4th on a QB.

I'm questioning their intelligence.

BigDawg819
09-01-2007, 12:37 PM

They got a quality backup with starting experience in this league. Its not like its an idiotic trade.

TimD
09-01-2007, 12:47 PM
They got a quality backup with starting experience in this league. Its not like its an idiotic trade.

so what is their QB situation now?

Palmer, Fitzpatrick, and Rowe???

Mr. Stiller
09-01-2007, 12:48 PM

Possible. He's played in what.. 4 games?

Wouldn't it have been better to pick up a guy like Dilfer? He has the starting experience. Then you have Rowe who they just drafted in round 4.

Paul
09-01-2007, 12:53 PM
I like the move for Houston. Babin has been disappointing, and Boulware will be a solid addition to that secondary.

Mr. Stiller
09-01-2007, 12:53 PM
I like the move for Houston. Babin has been disappointing, and Boulware will be a solid addition to that secondary.

Babin was also drafted to be a 3-4 OLB.. not a 4-3 DE.. he was pretty solid in the only season he got an opportunity to do that.

GB12
09-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Babin was also drafted to be a 3-4 OLB.. not a 4-3 DE.. he was pretty solid in the only season he got an opportunity to do that.

Well Seattle also runs a 4-3...

BigDawg819
09-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Possible. He's played in what.. 4 games?

Wouldn't it have been better to pick up a guy like Dilfer? He has the starting experience. Then you have Rowe who they just drafted in round 4.

How are they getting Dilfer when he's in San Fran helping mentor Alex Smith? Try mentioning someone who's actually available.......

Paul
09-01-2007, 12:59 PM

I am aware of that, but for a 1st rounder, 13 sacks in three years can't be seen as anything else but abit disappointing. Didn't the Texans run the 3-4 in the 05-06 season aswell?

BigDawg819
09-01-2007, 01:02 PM
I am aware of that, but for a 1st rounder, 13 sacks in three years can't be seen as anything else but abit disappointing. Didn't the Texans run the 3-4 in the 05-06 season aswell?

To me, Babin never showed the flashes in the NFL that made him a 1st round pick. Maybe the change of scenery helps him but he may only be a rotational guy for the rest of his career.

diabsoule
09-01-2007, 01:52 PM
I like the trade by the Texans, as well as the one for Seattle. I'm not too fond of Seattle's DE rotation and Babin will help strengthen that while Boulware should be Houston's starting SS now.

I am not sure about Cincy's trade.

LonghornsLegend
09-01-2007, 04:03 PM
wow, boulware was a really good player for seattle, young and promising...dont see how they would trade him for babin, I like what the texans are doing on defense

Vikes99ej
09-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Houston definitely needed a safety.

AkiliSmith
09-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Those questioning Cincy's trade obviously did not see Doug Johnson play at all this preseason. Any player would have been an upgrade.

Also I think trading up for a punter is less intelligent, and Rowe was a 5th round pick.

09-01-2007, 04:40 PM
I can see Babin being effective as a standup edge rusher in passing situations. But, other then that, I see Houston winning this trade.

WMD
09-01-2007, 04:42 PM
What's the deal?? It seems like there's quite a bit of trading going on this offseason..

comahan
09-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Good. We desperately needed Safety help, and Babin was expendable.

Windy
09-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Packers traded for Ryan Grant RB NYG

Tubby
09-01-2007, 05:02 PM
We have a good safety situation, and Boulware was only hurting the team last year. A DE rotation of Patrick Kerney, Darryl Tapp, Bryce Fischer, and Jason Babin seems better and better the more I think about it.

Yung Flippa
09-01-2007, 07:22 PM
I like Houston making that trade for Michael Boulware.

scottyboy
09-01-2007, 08:01 PM
Packers traded for Ryan Grant RB NYG

giants get a 6th rounder...

good trade for both teams. Grant is a guy i would've loved to see make the roster, but the giants backfield is very crowded, and we get a pick for him. the pack are thin aat RB and get a quality back... he could surprise some pack fans...

Shiver
09-01-2007, 08:01 PM
The Falcons traded Allen Rossum to Pittsburgh. Good riddance I say.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-01-2007, 08:20 PM
I didn't know Ryan Fitzpatrick was ever in jail.

AkiliSmith
09-01-2007, 08:33 PM
I didn't know Ryan Fitzpatrick was ever in jail.

That's seriously funny every single time.

XxXdragonXxX
09-01-2007, 10:49 PM
wow, boulware was a really good player for seattle, young and promising...dont see how they would trade him for babin, I like what the texans are doing on defense

Boulware was routinely toasted last year, the Seahawks signed Deon Grant and Brian Russell to be the starters at safety. Boulware was fighting for a roster spot, and lost, to Mike Green and undrafted rookie C.J. Wallace.

Not sure why the trade was for Babin though....Kerney, Tapp, Fisher and Atkins are all better than him IMO. I'd like to have seen a 3rd QB, which we are currently without right now, to allow Seneca to move around a little.

EDIT- Speaking of the Seahawks lack of a 3rd QB, they traded an undisclosed conditional pick for Alvin Pearman and then cut David Greene.

neko4
09-01-2007, 10:50 PM
I think this shows that Mario is getting better, if they dont need Babin anymore, or they think Babin is getting worse and are pulling one over on Seattle

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-01-2007, 10:51 PM

I'm not one to usually make Bengals jokes, really. But nobody else had in the thread, and it was begging to be said.

ChiFan24
09-01-2007, 11:34 PM

You've had 10+ players arrested. There's no defending that. The joke needs to be made. Just accept it.

PalmerToCJ
09-02-2007, 12:01 AM

Our fourth round pick was Marvin White, I'm now questioning your intelligence.

Doug Johnson was an absolutely TERRIBLE backup, I know we obviously drop off drastically with another QB but with Johnson we have absolutely no chance. Fitz at least has some upside and has performed in games, he's still a vet which we need. I'm very happy we made this move, I think Rowe will be a quality backup but not for this year. He needs at least 2 years before he's worth being comfortable with as the 2.

Word is we gave up a 7th which is sweet,

diabsoule
09-02-2007, 04:32 AM
The Falcons traded Allen Rossum to Pittsburgh. Good riddance I say.

They did what? Not that I'm mad at Atlanta trading away Rossum but I'm mad at Pittsburgh trading for him. What'd the Steelers give away for that hot piece of Atlanta trash?

AkiliSmith
09-02-2007, 05:36 AM
You've had 10+ players arrested. There's no defending that. The joke needs to be made. Just accept it.
Well it wasn't 10+ players, it was 9, your just thinking of Henry's multiple times. Most of the arrests were in 2005, and half of the players arrested have been cut. To mention it every single time the Bengals are mentioned is not only not funny, it's juvenile.