PDA

View Full Version : Cooley extended 6 years

skinzzfan25
09-01-2007, 02:47 PM
6 years for around 30 million

One of my favorite Redskins, and he should retire one as well.

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=4216

PRESS RELEASE
For Immediate Release
September 1, 2007

WASHINGTON REDSKINS SIGN TE CHRIS COOLEY
TO CONTRACT EXTENSION

Ashburn, VA – The Washington Redskins announce today that they have signed tight end Chris Cooley to a contract extension.

Terms of the deal will not be announced.

“We’re excited to get this deal done with Chris,” said Head Coach Joe Gibbs. “He has been a great Redskin since we’ve drafted him and it’s important for us to keep our players together. Getting him extended has been a priority for us and we’re happy to have it done before the regular season opens.”

Cooley, 6-3, 249 is in his fourth season since being selected by the Redskins in the third round of the 2004 NFL Draft out of Utah State. Cooley has been consistently productive for the Redskins playing in all 50 games with 43 starts in his career, including two playoff contests. In his three seasons, he has caught 165 passes for 1,822 yards and 19 touchdowns. He has never had less than six touchdowns in a season.

"I felt like this was such a great fit to be a part of the Redskins," said Cooley. "My only concern was I wanted to be here forever. I could play my whole career with the Redskins, that's an unbelievable thing, and it's an awesome feeling."

Last season Cooley’s 57 receptions and 734 yards led the team and he was named an alternate for the Pro Bowl. His six touchdown receptions tied him for the team lead. The highlight for the season came late in the game against Carolina when he caught a pass from quarterback Jason Campbell and raced 66 yards for the winning touchdown. His 71 catches in 2005 set the team record for receptions by a tight end, besting Jerry Smith’s previous mark of 67 which was set in 1967.

Cooley was a finalist for the Mackey Award, given to the nation’s top tight end, during his senior season at Utah State. He led the nation’s tight ends in receptions and yards when he pulled in 62 passes for 732 yards and six touchdowns. He was Utah State’s first non-receiver to lead the team in catches since 1983.

Overall, I think this is the best offseason in the Snyder era, he's getting smarter.

703SKINS202
09-02-2007, 02:36 PM
the best move of the year

boisefan
09-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Finally, this is great news