PDA

View Full Version : Leftwich out...who's in?

naruto613
09-01-2007, 09:52 PM
With Byron Leftwich out as QB in Jacksonville, Garrard is going to start. I don't think Garrard is a great QB, and with this year's draft class coming....

Should the Jags pick a QB in the draft?

Man_Of_Steel
09-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Watch for Chris Simms to be out of Tampa and in a Jags jersey soon.

neko4
09-01-2007, 10:22 PM
If they do really bad, Brohm or Woodson
If they do okay like last year, Brennan
If they are a playoff team they may not need a QB

Xiomera
09-01-2007, 10:22 PM

Truth, rumor, or speculation?

Man_Of_Steel
09-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Truth, rumor, or speculation?

Pure speculation my friend.

Shiver
09-04-2007, 01:26 AM
If JDR had his way he would have Brady Quinn in teal and black.

Geo
09-04-2007, 09:44 AM
I dearly wish it to be so.

If JDR had his way he would have Brady Quinn in teal and black.
Probably. It was Shack "I drafted Matt Jones with the 21st overall pick" Harris who didn't want to give up on his former 1st round pick in Leftwich.

In fact, let's take a look at Harris' work in the 1st round since taking the job of vice president of player personnel in 2003 (Harris was in Baltimore when the Jags took Stroud and Henderson in 01 and 02 respectively).

2003, 7th overall - Byron Leftwich
2004, 9th overall - Reggie Williams
2005, 21st overall - Matt Jones
2006, 28th overall - Marcedes Lewis
2007, 21st overall - Reggie Nelson

Good thing the team did a much better job later on in the draft, especially in the 2nd round. Although they missed out on a gem last year in Trent Edwards, Buffalo got a steal there. We'll be talking about him like we did about Matt Schaub.

P-L
09-04-2007, 09:48 AM
I heard that Tampa isn't going to release him because he's a near lock to end up with the Falcons.

Addict
09-04-2007, 09:49 AM

Probably. It was Shack "I drafted Matt Jones with the 21st overall pick" Harris who didn't want to give up on his former 1st round pick in Leftwich.

In fact, let's take a look at Harris' work in the 1st round since taking the job of vice president of player personnel in 2003 (Harris was in Baltimore when the Jags took Stroud and Henderson in 01 and 02 respectively).

Good thing the team did a much better job later on in the draft, especially in the 2nd round. Although they missed out on a gem last year in Trent Edwards, Buffalo got a steal there. We'll be talking about him like we are about Jim Sorgi.

that was a pretty nasty typo.

High Roller
09-05-2007, 07:47 AM
If they do really bad, Brohm or Woodson
If they do okay like last year, Brennan
If they are a playoff team they may not need a QB

Yea that's how u gotta look at it. It all depends on how they do this season and how Garrard performs. I can see them using a 2nd/3rd rounder on a QB instead of 1st round.

Shiver
09-05-2007, 01:19 PM

Good thing the team did a much better job later on in the draft, especially in the 2nd round. Although they missed out on a gem last year in Trent Edwards, Buffalo got a steal there. We'll be talking about him like we did about Matt Schaub.

Byron Leftwich - Good value at the time, didn't live up to draft position.
Reggie Williams - reach, has been outproduced by the Jaguars' 4th round pick Ernest Wilford.
Matt Jones - He took Jones over Mark Clayton, are you ****** kidding me?
Mercedes Lewis - Good value, too early to make a call.
Reggie Nelson - See above.

yourfavestoner
09-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Agree with all those assessments Shiver.

Funny, too, that BOTH Mark Clayton and Trent Edwards were players that I really ******* wanted.

The Unseen
09-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Agree with all those assessments Shiver.

Funny, too, that BOTH Mark Clayton and Trent Edwards were players that I really ******* wanted.

I wanted Trent Edwards also...I was surprised when they passed on him more than once, but after thinking about it, I shouldn't have been surprised.

I supported Matt Jones over Mark Clayton, but now...nah.

princefielder28
09-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Colt Brennan as a Jag!

Shiver
09-05-2007, 09:46 PM
To be fair I thought Mark Clayton was going to be a superstar coming out in '05. When Jacksonville passed on him for a QB/Athlete/WR who was an workout warrior I flipped out.

KCJ58
09-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Colt Brennan as a Jag!

I agree 100%

09-05-2007, 10:49 PM
colt brennan to the jags in the 2nd round doesnt sound too bad

phunnypharm
09-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Byron Leftwich - Good value at the time, didn't live up to draft position.
Reggie Williams - reach, has been outproduced by the Jaguars' 4th round pick Ernest Wilford.
Matt Jones - He took Jones over Mark Clayton, are you ****** kidding me?
Mercedes Lewis - Good value, too early to make a call.
Reggie Nelson - See above.

#1.....
Leftwich slid because MOST teams were concerned with his slow feet and "hitch" release that telegraphs where he is throwing the ball.

#2.....
Reggie Williams was not a great pick. He ran about 4.6 in the 40 and already had a rep as a guy who didn't like to work hard.

#3.....
Matt Jones?

Seriously. The guy didn't even play WR part time in college! He also had a "rep" as a guy that didn't really LOVE football......and the Jags expect him to make a position change and excel???

#4.....

Mercedes Lewis?

This guy ran the 40 like he was dragging a Mercedes behind him. He ran 4.84 in the 40 and he was KNOWN as a receiving TE that wouldn't offer much in the way of blocking. That is not what I'd look for in a 1st round pick......and probably not even a 2nd rounder either.

The Jags had been looking like they were trying the Matt Millen school of drafting!!!!